PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 2: Find Harder

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Keneth
2013-11-10, 01:20 PM
A589 No, familiars follow their own rules as described on that table and the corresponding section. This is in contrast to animal companions which do gain hit dice with all the usual benefits.

You should find everything you need to know about familiars here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar).

Cieyrin
2013-11-10, 05:05 PM
A589 No, familiars follow their own rules as described on that table and the corresponding section. This is in contrast to animal companions which do gain hit dice with all the usual benefits.

You should find everything you need to know about familiars here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar).

Do note that while Familiars don't get their own skill points, they do use the Master's skill point investments for any skills they use, but use their own ability scores and class skills.

Naomi Li
2013-11-11, 12:50 PM
Q590 "Priests" of deities often have spell list modifications. (For example, Adventure Path 50 includes several modifiers for Shelyn's priests) However, what counts as a "priest"? Is it "has Shelyn as patron deity" or what? Would an oracle that worships Shelyn count?

Keneth
2013-11-11, 01:03 PM
A590 A lot divine classes are not explicitly devoted to a single deity. While clerics and inquisitors who serve the deity always get the bonus spells, it's up for the GM to decide whether a devout character of a different class is an accepted priest of the faith.

gr8artist
2013-11-11, 06:56 PM
Q 591: Looking into the Mythic rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic) on the PFSRD and came across this description of DR/Epic:
A type of damage reduction, DR/epic can be overcome only by a weapon with an enhancement bonus of +6 or greater. Weapons with special abilities also count as epic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction if the total bonus value of all of their abilities (including the enhancement bonus) is +6 or greater.
That last sentence makes it look like a +5 holy longsword or a +2 dancing scimitar, or even a +1 flaming shock frost acidic keen falchion would be considered epic. I'd always heard that a bane weapon was considered epic if the bane bonus pushed the weapon's enhancement to above +5, and other abilities that increased the weapon's effective enhancement bonus worked the same way - becoming epic if the effective enhancement bonus exceeds 5.
So, What makes an epic weapon epic?
A: Actual enhancement bonus
(+1 flaming sword is treated a +1)
B: Effective enhancement bonus
(+1 bane sword is treated as +3 vs bane targets)
C: The sum of actual enhancement bonus + special ability bonus prices
(+1 flaming sword is treated as a +2)
D: The sum of effective enhancement bonus + special ability bonus prices.
(+1 bane sword is treated as +2 normally, and +4 vs bane targets)
E: None of the above.

CTrees
2013-11-11, 07:10 PM
Q592

Say you have a swarm that has Fire Resistance 10. The swarm is hit by a fireball, for which the caster has rolled 40 damage. Does the +50% damage from being hit with an area effect get applied first, or does the fire resistance? Essentially, is it (40*1.5)-10=50 or (40-10)*1.5=45?

Cieyrin
2013-11-11, 07:23 PM
A 591 A, B & C. A +2 Mythic Bane Dragonbane weapon has an effective +6 vs. Mythic Dragons and pierces DR/Epic, even though it's only +4. +1 Vorpal weapon (a +6 weapon) also pierces DR/Epic. They changed it so that you don't to do +6 weapons to pierce Mythic creature DR, which you can't normally make in PF.

A 592 Apply 50% before Fire Resistance 10.

gr8artist
2013-11-11, 09:37 PM
Q 591 addendum: Would a +3 dragonbane weapon qualify against DR/Epic, since its a total of 6 (+3 for enhancement, +2 for bane effect, and 1 for the bane ability itself)? Likewise, a +1 mythic-bane dragonbane weapon wouldn't count against DR/Epic (normally a +3) but would against an epic dragon (an extra +4 puts it up at a total of +7).
So, does bane improve the enhancement in addition to providing a +1 bonus for being a +1 special ability?

Reinkai
2013-11-11, 11:32 PM
A 591 addendum: No, only the enchantment itself counts. A +3 Dragonbane weapon is a +5 weapon. It's calculated the same way the pricing is.

gr8artist
2013-11-11, 11:42 PM
Q 591 clarification: Do you mean a +3 dragonbane weapon would be a +4? Because now I'm really getting confused. I don't see why a +3 flaming counts as a +4, but a +3 bane counts as either a +3 or a +5 (+4/+6 seems correct). The bane property is still a magical bonus ability with the same cost and value as flaming, keen, or distance.

Jormengand
2013-11-12, 11:35 AM
A591 clarification:

A weapon is considered epic if:

- The actual enhancement bonus is greater than +5, for example a +7 katana.
- The enhancement bonus is considered greater than five for purposes of the target enemy, for example a +4 elfbane humanbane shuriken being thrown at a half-elf with DR/epic.
- Maybe a weapon with a modified bonus greater than +10 after special abilities, such as a vorpal dancing holy flaming +1 wakizashi, though this is not entirely clear.

Against a designated foe, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than its actual bonus.

Weapons with an enhancement bonus of +3 or greater can ignore some types of damage reduction, regardless of their actual material or alignment.
A single weapon cannot have a modified bonus (enhancement bonus plus special ability bonus equivalents, including those from character abilities and spells) higher than +10

Because overcoming DR requires you to have a certain Enhancement bonus, the bane property increases your enhancement bonus against, say, dragons and also your modified bonus (which overcoming DR doesn't care about) against all creatures. Therefore, a +5 dragonbane sai will ignore the DR/epic of dragons (because it's a +7 weapon against dragons) but not humans (it's only a +5 weapon). A +6 temple sword will ignore all DR/epic (+6 weapon), but a +5 flaming nodachi won't because its enhancement bonus is +5 even though its modified bonus isn't.

It should be noted that a modified bonus greater than +10 is impossible to achieve pre-epic (barring bane and alignment special abilities being weird), so it is in some sense an epic weapon, so a +1 vorpal dancing brilliant energy naginata would be an epic weapon. This leads to the odd conclusion that a +1 dancing humanbane elfbane kukri is epic against half-elves because it has a +11 modified bonus against them, even though it only has a +5 enhancement bonus. Pathfinder epic rules are weird, could you tell? It's not clear whether you need to have an epic enhancement bonus or just be an epic weapon to bypass DR/epic.

Essentially, the answer is B, in which case it needs to be at least +6, or possibly D, in which case it needs to be at least +11.

Dimcair
2013-11-12, 12:46 PM
Q593

How do Bolas work?

Is success on a ranged attack roll enough to trip somebody? Is there a rule written somewhere?

Naomi Li
2013-11-12, 12:57 PM
A591 "A type of damage reduction, DR/epic can be overcome only by a weapon with an enhancement bonus of +6 or greater. Weapons with special abilities also count as epic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction if the total bonus value of all of their abilities (including the enhancement bonus) is +6 or greater."

So, as Cieyrin said, not as Jormengand, who probably wrote from a pre-mythic rules mindset which blatantly changed the rules by adding in that last clause. +5 enhancement bonus and a bane property counts as a +7 enhancement bonus against the designated type and thus qualifies under that clause, and it has a total ability modifier of +6 thus qualifying against everything under that clause. A +1 weapon with +5 of special abilities would also penetrate DR/epic of everything, but NOT penetrate material or alignment based DRs unless it genuinely qualified.

Q594 If an object is targeted by disintegrate but makes its saving throw (because it is a magic item, is being used by a creature, or whatever), what happens?

- Ah, silly me, didn't notice the "or object" clause in the "made saving throw" section. Thanks.

Keneth
2013-11-12, 01:38 PM
A593 They work as a normal trip, except you make a trip combat maneuver attack at range (taking all the bonuses and/or penalties for doing so).

You can either attack or trip with bolas. Simply hitting with an attack does not trip the opponent.

A594 Exactly what it says in the spell description. The object takes 5d6 points of damage (further reduced by hardness). If that brings it to 0 hp, it's destroyed.

Frosty
2013-11-12, 02:30 PM
Q. 595 Can creatures walk through a Wall of Fire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wall-of-fire) without impediment besides the obvious fire damage? Does the wall block line of effect? Aka if I am on one side of a Wall of Fire can someone cast a Charm Person or a Disintegrate at me from the other side?

Keneth
2013-11-12, 03:27 PM
A595 Baring extraneous circumstances, creatures can pass normally through a wall of fire. The flames are 20 feet high and completely opaque, so while they don't block line of effect, they do block line of sight, preventing you from targeting creatures on the other side (unless you have some other method of seeing them).

Frosty
2013-11-12, 03:35 PM
Q. 595bSo if I have blindsight, I can shoot a ray at someone on the other side? I'm guessing the wall will block cold effect though, at least until the section of wall is destroyed?

Keneth
2013-11-12, 03:52 PM
A595b Yes, you can shoot stuff through with blindsight. It doesn't block anything, not even cold effects as far as RAW goes, though that might be a reasonable house rule.

Red Bear
2013-11-12, 04:51 PM
Q596 Does Greater magic weapon stack with a weapon enhancement bonus? e.g. if a level 12 wizard casts greater magic weapon on a longsword +1 flaming, does it becames a longsword +4 flaming or longsword +3 flaming?

Jormengand
2013-11-12, 04:58 PM
A591 "A type of damage reduction, DR/epic can be overcome only by a weapon with an enhancement bonus of +6 or greater. Weapons with special abilities also count as epic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction if the total bonus value of all of their abilities (including the enhancement bonus) is +6 or greater."

So, as Cieyrin said, not as Jormengand, who probably wrote from a pre-mythic rules mindset which blatantly changed the rules by adding in that last clause. +5 enhancement bonus and a bane property counts as a +7 enhancement bonus against the designated type and thus qualifies under that clause, and it has a total ability modifier of +6 thus qualifying against everything under that clause. A +1 weapon with +5 of special abilities would also penetrate DR/epic of everything, but NOT penetrate material or alignment based DRs unless it genuinely qualified.

Where are the actual epic rules for PF listed? I was trying to build it up from the PFSRD's pages, and extrapolating from what was written within. AFAIK, PF doesn't even have epic rules beyond those listed at the bottom of the character advancement bit.

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-12, 05:10 PM
Q597

Where are the hit point totals and hardness values for gear and armor listed? Or are we supposed to approximate off of the listed material values?

Naomi Li
2013-11-12, 05:21 PM
A597 The hardness and hit point values are here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/damaging-objects

If using non-standard materials you'll need to note how they compare to the base material and make the appropriate changes.

Spore
2013-11-12, 05:24 PM
Q598 Which effect does a saving throw vs. glitterdust suppress? The description says: Will negates (blinding only) but our DM said it "only blinds you them".

Q599 Does a will save on a helpful Cure Light Wounds half the healing or negate it?

Psyren
2013-11-12, 05:33 PM
A598: ...I don't see how you could read this any other way. The will save is to negate the blindness, i.e. you can focus your mind/vision and not be impaired by the millions of golden flakes in the air. They'll still outline and possibly thwart you if you're trying to be sneaky, save or no save.

A599: Half.

Spore
2013-11-12, 05:43 PM
Our DM was quite overwhelmed tonight. He had to play 4 specialized NPCs (basically our linear guild) and I just looked into all sources we had and couldn't find another argument than "You can't think away glitter."

And why would you, it's fabulous on my rogue!

Cieyrin
2013-11-12, 07:32 PM
Where are the actual epic rules for PF listed? I was trying to build it up from the PFSRD's pages, and extrapolating from what was written within. AFAIK, PF doesn't even have epic rules beyond those listed at the bottom of the character advancement bit.

We were talking about the Mythic rules, which...I wouldn't say are PF Epic, since you can be Mythic pre-level 20. The Mythic rules opens up an additional way to pierce DR/epic specifically with a weapon that has an enhancement bonus + special ability bonuses of +6 or higher. Hence, a +1 Vorpal Whip (a weapon that costed as a +6 weapon) is treated as an Epic weapon in PF and thus pierces DR/epic. Which is why I said options A (a weapon with +6 or higher enhancement bonus), B (a weapon with effective +6 or higher, such as a +2 Furious Mythicbane Guisarme against Mythic creatures while raging) and C (a weapon with a total bonus of +6 or higher, like the aforementioned +1 Vorpal Whip).

A 596 Enhancement bonuses don't stack, so a 12th level Wizard Greater Magic Weaponing a +1 Flaming Greatsword would be a +3 Flaming Greatsword while the spell lasts.

gr8artist
2013-11-13, 12:27 AM
Q 600, which I guess was part of Q 591's addendums and clarifications, but I guess should be handled separately.
When tallying the total effective bonus of a bane weapon (for overcoming DR/epic or other such DR's) does the bane effect count as a +1 (since it's a +1 ability) or +2 (since it improves the weapon's enhancement by +2) or as a +3 (because it's a +1 ability that also gives a +2 bonus to the enhancement)? Assume that the weapon is being used against a valid bane target.

In the case of DR/epic (which can now be overcome with a +5 flaming weapon) it seems like a +5 bane weapon would overcome all DR/epic regardless of the target's type, because it's still considered a +6 weapon (just like a +5 flaming - note that a +5 flaming weapon is still considered +6 while not flaming; likewise a +5 bane is considered +6 when not baning.)
But, when acting against a valid bane target, the weapon's enhancement increases by +2. So it seems like a +3 bane weapon would function like a +4 against non-valid targets, and a +6 against valid targets. The only reason that I see that one could argue that this doesn't work is the "similar bonuses don't stack" rule... but being a +1 ability doesn't give a bonus to the weapon's enhancement.

Naomi Li
2013-11-13, 01:27 AM
A600 My mistake. Thank you for the correction. Seems rather weird to have the +2 effective enhancement bonus apply to both pass conditions, but it is the writers' decision.

Psyren
2013-11-13, 09:18 AM
A600 CORRECTION: A +3 bane weapon can penetrate DR/epic. The bane property does in fact stack with the +2 variable bonus it gives you, therefore getting you to +3 +2 +1 = +6 and breaking the threshold. This also applies to furious weapons.

A weapon with static bonuses totalling 6 or more will also penetrate DR/epic, e.g. a +1 vorpal longsword (1+5=6).

Source (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gl#v5748eaic9r5f)

Naomi Li
2013-11-13, 02:21 PM
Q601 If you use extend spell on a communal spell, does it double the length of the time increments that can be shared, or does it double the NUMBER of time increments that can be shared?

Psyren
2013-11-13, 02:36 PM
A601: In a way, both. Extend doubles the total duration of the spell, which means you have twice as many increments to parcel out - thus, you can spread the spell out further, or keep it on the same number of targets as before but apply more increments to any given individual, making it last longer on each person.

In most cases however this is moot - the general magic rules only allow you to touch up to 6 targets (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magic.html#_range) with a multitouch spell in one casting.

Naomi Li
2013-11-13, 04:47 PM
Q602 How does Treerazer have so many demon minions in Tanglebriar? The only Aiudara that links to it (lichgate) was rendered inoperable or otherwise contained for the majority of the time the elves and Treerazer have been at war, I am unaware of any open links between Tanglebriar and the abyss (unlike the worldwound), and no demon that I am aware of has any ability to plane shift between the abyss and the material plane.

So, how does he have so many demonic minions in the area? Are they either called by his cultists or summoned (temporarily) by the demons already present?

Psyren
2013-11-13, 04:56 PM
A602: That is one of the setting mysteries for individual DMs to decide on. Perhaps there is a permanent Gate or Portal (or several!) somewhere in the depths of the wood, perhaps he was exiled with a finite yet still arbitrarily large amount of demonic backup, perhaps he is somehow receiving reinforcements from the Worldwound itself. There is no definite answer because nobody has been able to map out Tanglebriar and live (which, naturally, is where your PCs can come in.) Treerazer is/was a demon lord, and is powerful enough to grant spells to clerics, so any of the above are within his reach.

And if there is a portal of some kind back there, it's entirely possible that he himself is too powerful to use it, but that he can call forth legions of minions through it all the same. Treerazer is one of the high-level challenges sown throughout the world for advanced PCs to deal with.

Da'Shain
2013-11-13, 06:53 PM
Q 603

Twofold question regarding a Dirge Bard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/dirge-bard)'s Dance of the Dead bardic performance:

Does the Lingering Performance feat apply to it as it does to other performances -- i.e. can a Dirge Bard use one round of Dance of the Dead in order to gain an undead minion for 3 rounds?
Can a Dirge Bard continue creating new undead so long as she keeps up the performance? 1st round creating a skeletal raptor, next round creating a zombie demon, etc.? Or would the sustained performance count as a single casting?

Psyren
2013-11-13, 08:09 PM
A603a: Strictly as written, no, because Dance of the Dead's animation effect is not a "bonus or penalty" and therefore Lingering Performance would not interact with it at all. However, I don't see a problem with combining the two and letting your minions act for 2 more rounds after you stop performing.

A603b: It functions as the spell, which means it's targeted when casting it. Once it's active you can't create more without ending your first performance and starting a second one.

JimboG
2013-11-13, 09:47 PM
Q 604

If a Druid has an animal companion that obtains a 3 or more INT score, allowing it to learn one language the Druid knows, would allowing it to learn Druidic be considered a violation of the Druid restriction on teaching the language to non-Druids?

Psyren
2013-11-13, 10:18 PM
A604: That's a question for your DM :smalltongue:

Red Bear
2013-11-14, 11:44 AM
Q605 Does a Chameleon animal companion gets the racial +12 to stealth regular Chameleons get?

Spore
2013-11-14, 12:39 PM
A605+10 when still (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Chameleon-Giant)

Q606 Do monsters with DR 5/- ignore hardness of any weapon for sunder attempts?

Psyren
2013-11-14, 12:51 PM
A605: The only Chameleon animal companion I see is the Giant Chameleon. Did you mean that one? A regular chameleon would be a familiar and use lizard stats.

Anyway, the answer is the same regardless - familiars and animal companions gain ONLY what is in the companion version of the statblock, plus any bonuses inherent to being an AC/familiar (such as Link), plus any benefits from their creature type (e.g. all animals get LLV and proficiency with their natural weapons.) Ergo, the only bonus a companion chameleon would gain to stealth is what is listed in that version of the block. Per JJ, this is intentional, but it's also possible to houserule in the benefits the regular creature gets without it being too gamebreaking in many cases.

A606: No - DR/- and DR/{material} do not confer any special abilities to the attacks of a creature that possesses these defenses.

Red Bear
2013-11-14, 01:14 PM
A605 The only Chameleon animal companion I see is the Giant Chameleon. Did you mean that one? A regular chameleon would be a familiar and use lizard stats.

Anyway, the answer is the same regardless - familiars and animal companions gain ONLY what is in the companion version of the statblock, plus any bonuses inherent to being an AC/familiar (such as Link), plus any benefits from their creature type (e.g. all animals get LLV and proficiency with their natural weapons.) Ergo, the only bonus a companion chameleon would gain to stealth is what is listed in that version of the block. Per JJ, this is intentional, but it's also possible to houserule in the benefits the regular creature gets without it being too gamebreaking in many cases.

I meant Giant Chameleon, and by "regular" I meant a Giant Chameleon that is not an animal companion. Thank you for your answer.

JeenLeen
2013-11-14, 03:39 PM
Q 607

When using a bandolier (see link below), is it a standard or move action to retrieve an item?

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateEquipment/gear/adventuringGear.html

Q 608

Could a wand or scroll fit in a bandolier? (I realize this may be up to the DM.)

Q 609

Are elemental attacks considered magical for purposes of bypassing damage reduction. For example, let's say a spell gives DR 10/magic. Would a [Fire] attack bypass that if it was not the result of a spell and did not have the [Su] or [Sp] tags? (On that note, are all supernatural and spell-likes considered magic for bypassing damage reduction?)

Psyren
2013-11-14, 04:32 PM
A607: Retrieving a stored item is a move action. (Some racials, feats and class abilities may modify this.)

A608: Generally yes to both. A wand tops out at roughly the size of a dagger (and can even be half that), so it will definitely fit. Most scrolls will fit as well, though keep in mind that scrolls can vary in size, and a scroll with hundreds of spells on it (unlikely as it may be to come across such a thing) may not fit in a bandolier.

A609: Damage reduction does not apply to magical damage at all. Rather, DR/magic is overcome by physical damage from a magical source, such as an enchanted sword.

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-14, 05:17 PM
Q610 - How do multiple limbs beyond two interact with Unarmed Strike attack routines?

Psyren
2013-11-14, 05:24 PM
A610: This is usually mentioned by the limb itself. For example, an Alchemist's vestigial arm specifies that you get no more attacks than normal. Did you have something particular in mind?

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-14, 07:03 PM
A610: This is usually mentioned by the limb itself. For example, an Alchemist's vestigial arm specifies that you get no more attacks than normal. Did you have something particular in mind?

The Kasatha from Bestiary 4.

Psyren
2013-11-14, 09:17 PM
The Kasatha from Bestiary 4.

Sounds familiar, aren't they in ARG too?

*checks*

Yeah, looks like they got their start as one of the "custom races" in ARG. Nice graphical upgrade in B4 though.

Anyhoo:

A610 addendum: The "multi-armed" trait possessed by Kasatha specifies that each additional arm is another offhand. As you can TWF with unarmed strikes in PF, you would be able to attack with each hand - albeit at steep penalties unless you remembered to snag Multiweapon Fighting.

What you can't do in PF is TWF and Flurry at the same time. Flurry replaces your attack routine entirely, regardless of number of limbs you have. The upside however is that you apply your full strength bonus to each attack, instead of three of your offhands being saddled with half.

Ravens_cry
2013-11-15, 02:02 PM
Q611
What happens if you quicken a spell that's already a swift action?

Psyren
2013-11-15, 02:36 PM
A611: Nothing, it just uses a higher slot for no reason.

Frosty
2013-11-15, 02:39 PM
A611 You've wasted the slot increase, since "Casting a quickened spell is a swift action." There's no mention of reducing casting time. It is just *set* to a Swift action.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by a Quickened Response. :smallredface:

Karoht
2013-11-15, 03:01 PM
Q612-Arcane Trickster-Surprise Spell Shenanigans
"the additional damage is of the same type as the spell."
Lets say I've got 3D6 Sneak dice for purposes of the following questions:
A-If I Maximize a spell, does it Maximize the Sneak Attack Damage as well?
B-Enervation-Do I roll 1D4 +3D6 if I catch the target Flat Footed/Denied Dex Bonus? Evervation specifies penalty not damage sadly, same with Level Drain...
C-If the spell deals Bleed Damage (IE-Brow Gasher) would it deal the 3D6 result as bleed every round?
D-Calcific Touch-Deals 1D4 Dex Damage every touch attack. Would the Sneak add 3D6 Dex Damage?
Text of critical importance: "A successful Fortitude save negates the slow effect but not the ability damage"
E-Vampiric Touch-Would I gain healing for the 3D6 Sneak Damage in addition to the healing gained for the damage of the spell?

Benthesquid
2013-11-15, 03:22 PM
A612 B The ability specifies that it only applies to spells that deal Hit Point damage, so no.
A613 C The ability specifies that it only applies to spells that deal Hit Point damage, so no. (Bleed is a condition. That that condition applies hit point damage is irrelevant, by my reading of the ability). However, if you took the Rogue talent Bleeding Attack, your sneak attacks would deal three bleed damage.
D The ability specifies that it only applies to spells that deal Hit Point damage, so no.
A and E left unanswered as I'm uncertain of them.

IamL
2013-11-15, 03:39 PM
A612EYes. You would get to add the damage from sneak attack to your temporary hit points gained, since the damage is added on by Surprise Spell and the spell reads "You gain temporary hit points equal to the damage you deal." Since the Surprise Spell ability adds to damage dealt, and the spell grants temporary hit points based on damage dealt, the Sneak Attack damage is added on. It would be as if you had used Empower or Maximize Spell on it.

Psyren
2013-11-15, 03:46 PM
A612a: No, the sneak attack is still separate from the spell despite being based on it. Maximize only affects the spell itself.

Karoht
2013-11-15, 03:51 PM
"additional damage only applies to spells that deal hit point damage"
Replies B C D are indeed correct. I was blind.
A-Ah, good to know.
E-Excellent.

genderlich
2013-11-16, 11:29 PM
Q613
How many tentacle attacks does the Devilfish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/devilfish) have? The Attack entry only says "Tentacles" without a number. The description says they have 7 arms, but 7 attacks at 3d6+4 seems really overpowered for a CR 4 monster.

While I'm on the Devilfish (I'm planning on using it on my players in our next session)...

Q614
The "Savage Bite" ability says they get the attack on a successful grapple check. Do they make the grapple check, then roll another attack roll, or does the attack replace their grapple check? Grappling is still complicated...

Keneth
2013-11-17, 12:09 AM
A613 They have one tentacle attack. That is, they attack with all tentacles at once.

A614 It's basically like a rake attack. If it's grappling a creature with its tentacles, it can try to bite it instead of performing a different grapple action after succeeding on a grapple check to maintain the grapple.

Technically, you should also be able to bit as soon as you grapple a creature (i.e. on the same round), but I don't think that's RAI.

Naomi Li
2013-11-17, 12:41 PM
Q615 Is a spellbook written in cypher script supposed to have a lower base price than one written in normal script (assuming the same type and number of spells) due to it requiring fewer resources to make, or the same base price as it is a cost reducer and the important part (spells and the spellbook) are still the same?

Q616 If a condition renders a character staggered but that condition is removed mid-turn (say, a vampire in sunlight uses her move action to get under some shade), does said character get to spend a standard/move action as well, or must said character wait until next turn?

Q617 Is there any rule preventing a wizard from learning spells and copying them into their spellbook before they're at a high enough level to cast said spells?

Q618 If a vampire is "killed" and forced to reform in a coffin with a suitably long-lasting magic spell on said vampire, would the spell continue affecting the vampire or would the discorporation of its body have ended its effects?

Keneth
2013-11-17, 06:06 PM
A615 A spellbook is a spellbook, it's worth the same regardless of how much it cost to write the spells into it.

A616 You can, in most cases, act normally immediately after removing a debilitating condition, but vampires remain staggered until the next round as far as I know.

A617 No, if you can make the Spellcraft check, you can copy the spell.

A618 Polymorphing doesn't generally remove any effects (except when explicitly noted otherwise).

gr8artist
2013-11-17, 11:09 PM
Catching a few points that may have been overlooked.

A 609 addendum - In the case of non-magical sources of fire, such as a burning torch or an alchemical item, such fire damage is not considered magical, and would not bypass DR/magic.

If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue's attack deals extra damage anytime her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage (like a sap, whip, or an unarmed strike), a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.

The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.Sneak attack - Where does it say that it has to deal HP damage?
(Also, how do you make a spoiler tag with text inside it?)

A 612 (B/D) - In the case of sneak attack with negative energy attack spells (level drain, ability damage, etc.) you get to deal HP damage in addition to the spell's effects. So, if a spell deals 1d4 ability damage and you have 3d6 sneak attack, it would end up being 1d4 ability and 3d6 HP damage. All of it negative energy.

Psyren
2013-11-17, 11:16 PM
A609 correction: Magical or not, fire damage is energy damage and so is not subject to DR regardless. DR 10/- will not protect you from standing in a campfire.

"The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities."

[spoiler=X] for the named spoiler I believe.

Benthesquid
2013-11-17, 11:46 PM
A 612 (B/D) - In the case of sneak attack with negative energy attack spells (level drain, ability damage, etc.) you get to deal HP damage in addition to the spell's effects. So, if a spell deals 1d4 ability damage and you have 3d6 sneak attack, it would end up being 1d4 ability and 3d6 HP damage. All of it negative energy.

In the ability description of Surprise Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-trickster#TOC-Surprise-Spells), under the Arcane Trickster entry.

This additional damage only applies to spells that deal hit point damage, and the additional damage is of the same type as the spell.

Keneth
2013-11-18, 12:53 AM
Surprise Spells is irrelevant to Sneak Attack; it's describing a completely separate ability. Sneak Attack applies to any spell that requires an attack roll and deals damage. It doesn't have to be hit point damage.

As far as I know, however, ability drain, ability penalty, energy drain, and other effects not dealing damage, are not applicable for Sneak Attack in Pathfinder. Though for some reason I do remember enervation being mentioned in some book with regards to Sneak Attacks, but I can't remember which one.

Psyren
2013-11-18, 01:34 AM
Surprise Spells is irrelevant to Sneak Attack; it's describing a completely separate ability. Sneak Attack applies to any spell that requires an attack roll and deals damage. It doesn't have to be hit point damage.

As far as I know, however, ability drain, ability penalty, energy drain, and other effects not dealing damage, are not applicable for Sneak Attack in Pathfinder. Though for some reason I do remember enervation being mentioned in some book with regards to Sneak Attacks, but I can't remember which one.

Complete Arcane mentions enervation + sneak attack, but that's a 3.5 source.

Benthesquid
2013-11-18, 09:56 AM

But the original question was in regard to Surprise Spells, which makes it extremely relevant.

Keneth
2013-11-18, 10:47 AM
Indeed, it was. I often see people pointing fingers at Arcane Trickster in relation to unrelated rules, so I felt the need to comment. My bad. :smallsmile:

Red.Tide
2013-11-18, 03:43 PM
When affected by a Disruptive Spell (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedFeats.html#_disruptive-spell), you have to make a concentration check to cast that round.

Q619a Do you have to make this check twice if attempting to cast a regular and quickened spell in the same round?

Q619b Does failing the check mean you lose the spell, like in other concentration checks?

Benthesquid
2013-11-18, 03:54 PM
A619 A: Yes- you have to make a concentration check when you cast a spell or use a spell like ability. If you cast multiple spells or use multiple spell like abilities, or one of each, through whatever method, you make a concentration check for each one.
A619 B:

If something interrupts your concentration while you're casting, you must make a concentration check or lose the spell. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Concentration)

Yes, if you fail a concentration check, you lose the spell, generally regardless of whatever forced the check.

Frosty
2013-11-18, 05:06 PM
Q620 Dimensional Anchor's effect block includes:
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance yes (object)
I am confused. Does this mean only objects with spell resistances get to use SR to resist?

Psyren
2013-11-18, 05:17 PM
A620: No - the "(object)" notation just means the spell can be cast on objects. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Saving-Throws) The notation usually goes in the "saving throw" line; it was likely moved to the SR line for Dimensional Anchor since the saving throw is "none."

Note the example of Shatter, a spell that has both a saving throw and allows SR, and has the (object) notation included on both lines.

Naomi Li
2013-11-18, 06:22 PM
Q621 I know that negative levels do not result in spell slot loss. However, if effective caster level drops below the minimum caster level for their higher level spells, are those spells off limits until the negative levels are removed? (For example, a four HD wizard has prepared "resist energy" and then fails her saving throws to a vampire's slam attack and thus gains two negative levels. Can "resist energy" still be cast?)

Benthesquid
2013-11-18, 10:44 PM
Q 622:

Does the Eidolon's Natural Attack Limit (specifically as it applies to the Synthesist) apply to Natural Attacks gained from sources other than the Base Form and Evolution points?

Psyren
2013-11-19, 01:19 AM
A621: Correct, the spells remain but may simply be off limits for a while. If you find a way to cure/ignore the negative levels mid-fight, you will regain your access to those spells. This is in contrast to 3.5, where negative levels could not only keep you from casting high level spells, they could actually suck away your top-level ones as though cast/wasted.

Zejety
2013-11-19, 08:44 AM
Q 623:
What is the total CR of a creature with a base CR of 1/2 and one level in a key class?

Psyren
2013-11-19, 09:47 AM
A622: I would say no - for example, a Toothy Half-Orc Synthesist would still have his bite if the eidolon did not give him one, or if you used a spell/bloodline power/etc. to gain another attack you would have it, provided once again that it did not overlap with a limb the eidolon was already giving you.

A623: Most (All?) CR 1/2 creatures have 1 HD, and so would replace that HD with their first class level. Whether the class is "key" or not would not matter in this instance because there would be no racial HD to associate it with. Their total CR would stay at 1/2 unless they also had PC wealth/gear, in which case it would become CR 1.

Keneth
2013-11-19, 09:50 AM
A621: Correct, the spells remain but may simply be off limits for a while.

If I were a mod, you'd be getting a [citation needed] tag. :smalltongue:

The rules do state the following:

You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.

That passage seems to imply that you cannot cast a CL 3 fireball, so I'm inclined to agree, but there has been enough arguing on the matter to know that the issue isn't entirely black and white.

Psyren
2013-11-19, 09:54 AM
If I were a mod, you'd be getting a [citation needed] tag. :smalltongue:

The rules do state the following:

That passage seems to imply that you cannot cast a CL 3 fireball, so I'm inclined to agree, but there has been enough arguing on the matter to know that the issue isn't entirely black and white.

You quoted the very passage I'd have cited, and there's really nothing else countermanding it, so... yeah. You need to be at the CL necessary to cast the spell itself.

Note that this could mean negative levels are less painful for half-casters (Bards, Magi etc.) than for full-casters - which is nice since they have less spells to fall back on if they get hit with energy drain anyway.

Zejety
2013-11-19, 10:47 AM
A623: Most (All?) CR 1/2 creatures have 1 HD, and so would replace that HD with their first class level. Whether the class is "key" or not would not matter in this instance because there would be no racial HD to associate it with. Their total CR would stay at 1/2 unless they also had PC wealth/gear, in which case it would become CR 1.
Q623 Follow-up: I must have totally missed that rule. Can you please point it out to me or elaborate?
I want to create a Pugwampi (http://paizo.com/PRD/additionalMonsters/gremlin.html) with a level in Druid. Even if I do not add another HD (which I think you suggest is the correct corse of action), won't the additional class features "justify" a higher CR? I will only add NPC gear.

Q 624:
Does ammunition come in different size categories or does a tiny bow fire the same arrows as a medium-sized one?

Yora
2013-11-19, 03:16 PM
A624: From what I am aware of, this is pretty much undefined. The rules are completely silent on it and don't say one way or another.

There are good reasons for GMs to pick either option. Though if you go with ammunition of different sizes, it should still be possible to use ammunition of different size at a -4 penalty for improvised weapons.

Naomi Li
2013-11-19, 11:36 PM
Q625 Does a fighter's armor training class feature apply solely towards armour, or towards armour and shields both? If it applies to both, do the bonuses apply to each of the two separately or to the total pool?

Say the fighter had a masterwork tower shield, a masterwork breastplate, and +4 to max dex and -4 to armor check penalty from armor training. What would the character's max dex and total ACP be?

Q626 A darkwood item only counts as a masterwork item instead of BEING a masterwork item. Does this mean that craft DCs for the item use the same DC for the entire process instead of switching between "normal component" and "masterwork component"?

Yora
2013-11-20, 02:49 PM
A625: Since the ability always speaks of "when wearing armor" and "his armor", and never mentiones the word "shield" anywhere, I am pretty confident in thinking that it does not apply to shields in any way.

A626: For Adamantine and Mithral it explicitly says items are "always masterwork items" and "the cost for being masterwork are already included in the costs". It doesn't say the same thing for Darkwood.
It seems to me that a darkwood shield would have the cost and Craft DC of a non-masterwork item.

Naomi Li
2013-11-20, 04:53 PM
Q627 Is there any explicit information (from a rulebook, an official novel series, whatever) about what happens to a younger-than-adult individual who is brought back to life via reincarnate?

Psyren
2013-11-20, 05:03 PM
A623 follow-up: It turns out the rule I was thinking of was in 3.5. I actually have no idea what the effective level of a CR 1/2 creature that isn't intended to be a player race would be.

A626 addendum: Darkwood states that you must add 10gp per pound to make it masterwork. This implies that non-masterwork darkwood items are possible, as opposed to mithral and adamantine.

A627: Not that I know of.

Platymus Pus
2013-11-20, 06:29 PM
Q628: Can you cast a spell then use an AoO in the same turn?

Q629: Will you get the full bonus on every AoO if you make 5 in one turn?

Benthesquid
2013-11-20, 06:46 PM
A628: Yes. Attacks of Opportunity are generally not affected by actions you take on your turn, unless said actions include attacks of opportunity. Do note that it's fairly uncommon to take an Attack of Opportunity on your own turn, as it's generally provoked by an action the enemy takes.

A629: Yes, all Attacks of Opportunity you make are at your full attack bonus. However, to make five AoOs in one turn, you would need all of the following-

A) The Combat Reflexes Feat
B) A Dexterity of at least 20,
C) Five separate actions from an enemy or enemies that provoke attacks of opportunity within your threatened radius

Platymus Pus
2013-11-20, 06:58 PM
A628: Yes. Attacks of Opportunity are generally not affected by actions you take on your turn, unless said actions include attacks of opportunity. Do note that it's fairly uncommon to take an Attack of Opportunity on your own turn, as it's generally provoked by an action the enemy takes.

A629: Yes, all Attacks of Opportunity you make are at your full attack bonus. However, to make five AoOs in one turn, you would need all of the following-

A) The Combat Reflexes Feat
B) A Dexterity of at least 20,
C) Five separate actions from an enemy or enemies that provoke attacks of opportunity within your threatened radius

The action that is provoked is moving and my range is 40' along with meeting all of those requirements.
Q630: Can you reload and use AoO at the same time even though it requires ammo?

Psyren
2013-11-20, 07:04 PM
Q630: Can you reload and use AoO at the same time even though it requires ammo?

You normally can't AoO with ranged attacks so that is moot. Snap Shot will let you do this, but your range will be drastically limited (definitely not 40'.)

Platymus Pus
2013-11-20, 07:06 PM
You normally can't AoO with ranged attacks so that is moot. Snap Shot will let you do this, but your range will be drastically limited (definitely not 40'.)

It's a suped up homebrew version of snap shot with a repeating crossbow.
So it's not really moot.

A630 I am fairly sure that you can reload as part of an AoO as long as you can perform that as a free action, but otherwise cannot at all.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Naomi Li
2013-11-20, 07:07 PM
A629 - Minor correction Because combat reflexes grants a number of ADDITIONAL attacks of opportunity equal to one's dexterity modifier, you need a dexterity score of 18, not 20, to make five AoO in one round. (1 base +4 combat reflexes)
A630 I am fairly sure that you can reload as part of an AoO as long as you can perform that as a free action, but otherwise cannot at all.

Psyren
2013-11-20, 07:23 PM
It's a suped up homebrew version of snap shot with a repeating crossbow.
So it's not really moot.

Silly me, thinking you were asking about RAW in the RAW thread :smalltongue:

Anyway, yes, reloading is done as part of the attack.

Red Bear
2013-11-20, 07:31 PM
Q631 Can you reduce or eliminate completely the penalty to attack rolls when using a throwing weapon in melee (e.g. javelin)?

Platymus Pus
2013-11-20, 10:12 PM
Silly me, thinking you were asking about RAW in the RAW thread :smalltongue:

Anyway, yes, reloading is done as part of the attack.

Its the same functionally RAW I still have to get those feats, it's why I asked.:smallamused:
Q632: Could you launch a sword like an arrow from a bow?

Benthesquid
2013-11-20, 10:15 PM
Its the same functionally RAW I still have to get those feats, it's why I asked.:smallamused:
Q632: Could you launch a sword like an arrow from a bow?

A632: No. Not by RAW, RAI, or RACSD.

Psyren
2013-11-20, 10:18 PM
A632 clarification: Specifically, swords are not on the list of "ammunition" usable by projectile weapons, and (aside from slings) there are no rules for improvising ammo.

Benthesquid
2013-11-20, 10:23 PM
A632 clarification: Specifically, swords are not on the list of "ammunition" usable by projectile weapons, and (aside from slings) there are no rules for improvising ammo.

A632 Clarification Addendum: The sling allows you to use found rocks instead of purchased ammunition, at a -1 penalty to hit, and a one size reduction in damage. You cannot launch a sword from a sling.

Yora
2013-11-21, 02:13 AM
A631: The Precise Shot feat negates the penalty for both missile weapons and thrown weapons.

Red Bear
2013-11-21, 07:26 AM
A631: The Precise Shot feat negates the penalty for both missile weapons and thrown weapons.

I thought this was for shooting at a distant target engaged in melee with an ally, not for using a javelin as a melee weapon against an adjacent enemy...

Yora
2013-11-21, 10:00 AM
It does, I just misread the question as "using at melee range".

Psyren
2013-11-21, 11:06 AM
A631: Though not outright stated, the melee penalty on the javelin is due to the improvised weapon penalty. Because a javelin is listed as a ranged weapon, you can use it in melee as an improvised weapon and combine it with an ability (such as the Improvised Weapon Mastery feat) to erase the penalty.

Another tactic is to use Improved Improvisation as a human (or half-elf/half-orc) to halve the nonproficiency penalty of the javelin in melee.

Ceaon
2013-11-21, 11:06 AM
Q633: If a maneuver master monk, a master of many styles monk, a sensei monk or a tetori monk wears armor, do they become unable to use the class feature that replaces flurry of blows?

Karoht
2013-11-21, 12:04 PM
Q634: Meld into Stone and Bardic Performances
So the idea is that I cast Shadowbard and Exquisite Accompanyment. According to the Paizo boards, that does mean I could in theory have 2 Performances active at the same time. So I was thinking about how I could cheese that a little bit.
Meld into Stone (and to an extent, Shape Stone) to merge into any stone that is larger than myself. Preferably a piece of architecture or a feature such as a commonly occuring statue.
So I would cast Shadowbard + Exquisite Accompanyment, then Meld into Stone. The two performance effects stay adjacent to me as per their spell descriptions.
A-I'm in a block of stone, and these two effects continue my performance buffing. Is this legit?
B-Would a Resilient Sphere Block line of effect for either the performances or the two performance effects?
C-Can I hand either of these effects a Lyre of Building to make a perform check?

Psyren
2013-11-21, 12:49 PM
A633: None of those signature abilities interact with armor. You will however lose your Wis to AC - and since Wis also determines your ki pool, all three will likely want it high anyway, so you may as well go unarmored. (Note: Master of Many Styles can do without ki.)

634 foreword: exquisite accompaniment does not actually perform on its own, it merely increases the time you can perform.

634a: Bardic Performances do not depend on line of effect. So long as your shadow performers can keep making sounds/be seen while you are melded, you will be able to maintain performances. However, if your performance is visual, you will only have one performance, not two - your shadowbard will be able to keep performing, but you will no longer be visible. It's unclear if that applies to audible performances too (can someone melded into stone make sound?) but I'm leaning towards that you can't be heard while melded either.

634b: No - again, performances require only sight, hearing, or both, and resilient sphere blocks neither. Both you and your shadow can buff the party just fine from within a sphere.

634c: No, neither effect says it can activate magic items. (And remember, exquisite accompaniment does not actually perform for you anyway.)

Karoht
2013-11-21, 01:17 PM
634 foreword: exquisite accompaniment does not actually perform on its own, it merely increases the time you can perform.Except that it totally says it does.
"The instrument plays as you direct, and as long as it plays, you do not have to expend rounds of bardic performance from your daily allotment to maintain an effect." It plays as I direct it to. I would assume that means it plays on it's on and not due to me playing it. And as far as I can tell, I only really need to direct it towards a specific Bardic Performance once.

634b: No - again, performances require only sight, hearing, or both, and resilient sphere blocks neither. Both you and your shadow can buff the party just fine from within a sphere.Excellent.

634c: No, neither effect says it can activate magic items. (And remember, exquisite accompaniment does not actually perform for you anyway.)Ah, right, I forgot about that. It specifically calls out Shadow Bard as not being able to activate them either. I figured 'perform check = skill check' and my brain turned off from there.

Hmmm, if I can just find a way to get that Lyre of Building working while in a block of stone, without using another body (summoned or cohort or party member).

Psyren
2013-11-21, 01:25 PM
Except that it totally says it does.
"The instrument plays as you direct, and as long as it plays, you do not have to expend rounds of bardic performance from your daily allotment to maintain an effect." It plays as I direct it to. I would assume that means it plays on it's on and not due to me playing it. And as far as I can tell, I only really need to direct it towards a specific Bardic Performance once.

No, it doesn't - it plays, but you are still the one that must perform. It is, in effect, an accompaniment. All it does is give you more rounds of performance per day by letting you perform without draining your pool.

Karoht
2013-11-21, 02:06 PM
No, it doesn't - it plays, but you are still the one that must perform. It is, in effect, an accompaniment. All it does is give you more rounds of performance per day by letting you perform without draining your pool.After re-reading this many times, it sounds to me as though it's fire and forget, as at no point is it saying that the caster has to continue to maintain something (the instrument is doing that for you, even absorbing the resource cost, that is literally what it says on the tin), but yet somehow I get this odd feeling that you are correct. I could find no corroborating evidence on the paizo boards though.

Okay, so it's Resilient Sphere, Shadow Bard, Meld into Stone, in that order. Awesome.

Psyren
2013-11-21, 02:14 PM
It does not maintain the effect itself - it says YOU can maintain the effect, just for free.

The instrument plays as you direct, and as long as it plays, you do not have to expend rounds of bardic performance from your daily allotment to maintain an effect. Activating a bardic performance or switching to a new effect still costs a round of your overall bardic performances per day.

In other words, you cannot do shadowbard, start your own performance, then cast this and switch your performance to something else for a total of 3 performances - nor can you meld into stone and leave these two outside for a total of 2. Your max is going to be 2 or 1 respectively.

I am however open to discussing this more if you'd like - we can make a thread.

Karoht
2013-11-21, 02:31 PM
It does not maintain the effect itself - it says YOU can maintain the effect, just for free.

In other words, you cannot do shadowbard, start your own performance, then cast this and switch your performance to something else for a total of 3 performances - nor can you meld into stone and leave these two outside for a total of 2. Your max is going to be 2 or 1 respectively.

I am however open to discussing this more if you'd like - we can make a thread.
I just said I was going to take your word for it.
At no point did I say it allowed for 3 in effect.
And now that I've read it several times (again) I think I see the part that was tripping me up, so another thread would be unnecessary. Would you believe, I was somehow missing a critical 'and' which was causing me to derp it up?

Psyren
2013-11-21, 02:39 PM
I just said I was going to take your word for it.

I know, I was just restating the point to show exactly where I was coming from.

Karoht
2013-11-21, 03:47 PM
Q635: The Dreaded Invisible Stalker. Or is it?
The spell Veil. Allows you to illusion yourself to appear as any other creature. A favorite of my DM is to select the Invisible Stalker.
What works to detect this?

Psyren
2013-11-21, 04:06 PM
A635: There is no clear RAW around what happens if you try to disguise yourself as a naturally invisible creature, but here is how I would handle it.

Anyone who "interacts with" a Veiled target gets a disbelief save. Chiefly, I would expect "interactions" to be attacks, whether the character is on the giving or receiving end. So, if you are hit by the "invisible" attacker, you get a will save, and if you successfully choose the right square to attack, you get another will save. I would also grant saves to onlookers if the "invisible stalker" does something overt that onlookers can see.

natron77
2013-11-21, 07:41 PM
Q636:
Is a Shadow Caller Summoner's eidolon of the Shadow Creature template?

Benthesquid
2013-11-21, 07:49 PM
Q636:
Is a Shadow Caller Summoner's eidolon of the Shadow Creature template?

A636:

No. The Shadow Creature Template is applied to creatures summoned using either a Summon Monster spell, or the Summoner's Summon Monster spell like ability. The only change made to the Eidolon is the fact that it comes from your shadow, and that while it is active, neither you nor it have a shadow, which replaces the magical symbol on your forehead.

Naomi Li
2013-11-21, 08:40 PM
Q637 If you're delivering a touch attack spell with a staff that is also a magical weapon, do you get its enhancement bonus on your to-hit roll?

Benthesquid
2013-11-21, 08:44 PM
Q637 If you're delivering a touch attack spell with a staff that is also a magical weapon, do you get its enhancement bonus on your to-hit roll?

Q637 Clarification

What means are you using to deliver the touch attack with the staff?

Naomi Li
2013-11-21, 08:55 PM
Q637 Clarification When a staff is used to cast a spell (note, spell-trigger staff) that is a touch attack, one is allowed to make the touch attack in the same round as a free action. RAW and RAI, at least according to two Paizo staff, is that said touch attack does NOT need to be performed by a free hand and that wands (and staves) are supposed to be the delivery vessels for the touch spell cast via them.

I would guess that you would not, as you're using the item in its staff capacity instead of its capacity as a weapon, but I am unsure.

Keneth
2013-11-22, 09:50 AM
A635 RAW note Natural Invisibility is an extraordinary ability, and while it may be inherent for an invisible stalker, the spell veil does not in any shape or form grant you access to a creature's special abilities. It is not a 1 hour/level improved invisibility.

Putting RAW aside, a simple see invisibility is enough to see invisible stalkers. A disbelieve check will also do, as Psyren mentioned.

A637 No. While I agree it's perfectly fine to deliver a touch with a wand or staff, you don't just get to channel it through a weapon because of fluff unless you're a magus.

RAW and RAI, at least according to two Paizo staff, is that said touch attack does NOT need to be performed by a free hand and that wands (and staves) are supposed to be the delivery vessels for the touch spell cast via them.

I would also like a citation on that. I could find no rule anywhere that would support that notion.

Karoht
2013-11-22, 11:32 AM
A635 RAW note Natural Invisibility is an extraordinary ability, and while it may be inherent for an invisible stalker, the spell veil does not in any shape or form grant you access to a creature's special abilities. It is not a 1 hour/level improved invisibility.Veil gives you the appearance of the creature. It's natural appearance is invisible. Still, I've always scratched my head every time the DM has busted this out.

Putting RAW aside, a simple see invisibility is enough to see invisible stalkers. A disbelieve check will also do, as Psyren mentioned.If we are refering to a real Invisible Stalker and not a Veil of one, are you sure?
If we are refering to a Veil of an Invisibile Stalker, I agree.

JeenLeen
2013-11-22, 11:44 AM
Q 638

Are there any mundane items that give a bonus to Knowledge checks to identify enemies, like a masterwork book or some such? (I'm particularly planning on using this for a Archivist Bard's Naturalist bardic performance.)

Keneth
2013-11-22, 12:30 PM
It's natural appearance is invisible.

Uh, no, it isn't. The invisibility is an extraordinary ability. Without that, they're just as visible as an air elemental, and since veil doesn't grant special abilities, you're just a cool-looking air elemental.

Karoht
2013-11-22, 01:06 PM
Uh, no, it isn't. The invisibility is an extraordinary ability. Without that, they're just as visible as an air elemental, and since veil doesn't grant special abilities, you're just a cool-looking air elemental.
Let me show you a picture of an invisible stalker. Taken from DnD Monster Manual (2nd and 3.5)

Blank Page

Yeah yeah, old joke is old.

I checked Wikipedia of all places.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_stalker
It says that if you use See Invisibility, "Invisible stalkers have an amorphous form. A see invisibility spell only reveals a dim outline of a vaguely humanoid cloud, while a true seeing spell reveals a roiling cloud of vapor." Though I'm not sure where it is getting that description from exactly.

Meanwhile, Polymorphing into one (maybe add on Nondetection and Mind Blank for kicks) would be pretty awesome.

Keneth
2013-11-22, 02:49 PM
A638 I have a strong inclination that I've see some tomes that give very specific skill bonuses, including Knowledge. I'll try to dig them up, but in either case, you should be able to get some a masterwork "tool" (probably a detailed bestiary) that gives you a +2 circumstance bonus, though it might not be usable in any expedient manner if you plan on using it in combat (probably at least a full round action).

Meanwhile, Polymorphing into one (maybe add on Nondetection and Mind Blank for kicks) would be pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, elemental body, being the only spell that lets you polymorph into elementals, doesn't have an "invisible stalker" option.

But I'd totally let my players research a personal spell that lets you do that. I heavily encourage spell research.

Naomi Li
2013-11-22, 05:24 PM
Q639 Are there any guidelines for attacking through an object (say, an ice wall), or perhaps how to determine if a solid object is strong enough to provide cover instead of just concealment?

Q640 Any figures on the hardness/hit point totals of packed earth?

gr8artist
2013-11-22, 07:13 PM
Q 641: Flurry of blows and fast movement do not mention that the monk needs to be unarmored. The armor/weapon proficiencies state that the monk loses FoB and FM while armored.
A - If a monk were to lose his armor/weapon proficiencies (getting them replaced or lost as a class feature), would he then be able to use FoB and FM while armored?
B - If so, is there any way to do this. Archetypes seem to add-on to his proficiencies, not replace them as a whole.

Q 642: Is there any class/archetype/PrC that grants FoB as a monk, without also granting a monk's armor proficiencies or adding in a "only while unarmored" clause?

I really want to make a heavily armored monk, for the lolz.

Psyren
2013-11-22, 07:36 PM
A639: Your question is confusion because objects/obstacles provide cover, not concealment. Attacking through a wall is not possible because walls provide total cover, and therefore you can't target whatever is behind them.

A640: Packed Earth would either count as Masonry (90HP/ft. of thickness) or Hewn Stone (180 HP/ft. of thickness.) Which of the two would probably be a DM call. Either way, it is Hardness 8.

A641a: Yes. This was in fact the issue underlying the Great Sohei debate. (They were eventually errata'ed to be able to flurry in light armor, but not medium or heavy.)

A641b: I'm unaware of any other ways besides Sohei pre-errata.

A642: Since flurry is really just TWF with the serial numbers filed off, you could simply do that. I recommend Ninja so you get close to a Monk's US.

(3PP suggestion - go Deadly Fist Soulknife and you can wear all the heavy armor you like.)

Naomi Li
2013-11-22, 07:44 PM
Q639 confirmation So a flimsy table with hardness 0 and 1 hp would provide total cover to the entity behind it, and the only way to attack them would be to use either an AoE attack, move around it, or destroy the table with the entirety of a sunder attack because there are no rules for striking through an object?

Psyren
2013-11-22, 07:48 PM
A639: Breaking objects requires a sunder attack, yes. Note that you can sunder multiple times in a round if you have multiple attacks, this would let you smash through a table etc. and get to the guy hiding behind it.

Also, wood is 10hp. per inch of thickness and 5 hardness.

Jormengand
2013-11-24, 09:59 AM
Q 643

Apart from reach shenanigans, is there any way to increase your sneak attack range using PF material?

Keneth
2013-11-24, 10:06 AM
A643 Lunge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/lunge-combat---final) if you need melee reach beyond what's granted by reach weapons. Sniper (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/sniper) archetype and sniper goggles (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goggles-sniper-goggles) if we're talking about ranged weapons.

Raven777
2013-11-24, 08:16 PM
Q 644 Does one's Improved Familiar leave if one no longer meets its alignment requirement? Or is the alignment only a requirement for the initial binding?

Keneth
2013-11-24, 10:41 PM
A644 While the rules are largely silent on that matter, since the game assumes that, for the most part, a character's alignment is fixed, I tend to treat the familiar's alignment restriction the same way as I would feat prerequisites. That is, if you no longer meet the prerequisites for a feat, you gain no benefit from it. In that same sense, if you no longer meet the alignment restrictions for your familiar, your bond goes away. How and when would depend on the situation.

Psyren
2013-11-24, 10:45 PM
A644 addendum: The prerequisites line of Improved Familiar includes "compatible alignment." If your alignment is no longer compatible for the familiar you have chosen, you are no longer meeting the prerequisites of the feat and thus no longer gain any benefits from it, until such time as you are able to meet them again. CRB:

A character can't use a feat if he loses a prerequisite, but he does not lose the feat itself. If, at a later time, he regains the lost prerequisite, he immediately regains full use of the feat that prerequisite enables.

Keneth
2013-11-25, 12:29 AM
How's that different from what I said? :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2013-11-25, 12:34 AM
How's that different from what I said? :smallbiggrin:

You said the rules were silent, but they're actually pretty clear :smallsmile: "compatible alignment" is a prerequisite of the Improved Familiar feat, and thus must be met on a constant basis rather than only initially.

Keneth
2013-11-25, 01:16 AM
I said the rules were silent on whether or not the familiar leaves. It's the same as when the master dies—There is no RAW dictating precisely what happens after the bond is broken.

But I pretty much explained the exact same thing about feat prerequisites as you. Though I suppose without the correct tone and word emphasis, it could sound as if I weren't sure of that. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2013-11-25, 01:25 AM
Ah, I follow you. Well, even if it stuck around you cannot "use the feat" so you would gain no benefits/bonuses for its proximity by RAW.

Raven777
2013-11-25, 10:44 AM
Q 645 Once more with feeling! The d20pfsrd page is kind of ambiguous (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/improved-familiar) in regards to the Faerie Dragon. The feat itself reads :

Benefit: When choosing a familiar, the creatures listed here are also available to you. You may choose a familiar with an alignment up to one step away on each alignment axis (lawful through chaotic, good through evil).

But then, all familiars listed have their own alignment entry. So I assume you can be one step away on each axis from these listed alignments. Moreover, the Faerie Dragon's entry reads "within one step of Chaotic Good" instead of merely "Chaotic Good" like most others. Does that translate to being able to be within one step from Chaotic Good, plus one step from that first step on each alignment axis?

Or am I reading too much into it?

Yora
2013-11-25, 10:56 AM
A645: Your farie dragon familiar may be Chaotic Good, Neutral Good, or Chaotic Neutral. Based on that specific faerie dragon in question, the normal restrictions for the alignment of master and familiar apply.

Any character who is not Lawful Evil can get a fairy dragon familiar of compatible alignment.

Keneth
2013-11-25, 11:18 AM
A645 dispute Err... what? Improved familiars do not come in different alignments by RAW. By default, the caster can be up to one step on each alignment axis from the familiar's listed alignment. If the table says "within one step of X", it means the caster can only be within one step of the listed alignments on either of the axes. So if you want a faerie dragon familiar, you need to be either NG, CG, or CN.

An arcane spellcaster of at least 7th level with an alignment within 1 step of chaotic good who has the Improved Familiar feat may select a faerie dragon as a familiar.

Raven777
2013-11-25, 11:24 AM
A645 dispute Err... what? Improved familiars do not come in different alignments by RAW. By default, the caster can be up to one step on each alignment axis from the familiar's listed alignment. If the table says "within one step of X", it means the caster can only be within one step of the listed alignments on either of the axes. So if you want a faerie dragon familiar, you need to be either NG, CG, or CN.

Then what about those familiars on the list listed with "Alignment : Any"? It seems to indicate that a given specimen can be of any alignment, and then the caster needs to be within one step from that. Which seems to solve my quandary.

Keneth
2013-11-25, 01:13 PM
I would advise not to put too much stock in the table on d20pfsrd.com, as it's merely a compiled resource and the editors couldn't decide whether to list the familiar's alignment or the required alignment.

"Any" means one of several things:

The familiar is true neutral, thus allowing any alignment.
The familiar has the same alignment as its creator, e.g. homunculus.
The familiar comes in different variants, though I can't think of any such familiars (not counting homunculi).
The listing is incorrect, either because of clerical errors, or game updates. E.g. Severed Head is now Beheaded and has an alignment restriction.

powerdemon
2013-11-25, 09:22 PM
Q 646
Besides rogue, which base classes offer sneak attack? Alternate class features/archetypes are fine.

weckar
2013-11-26, 05:30 AM
Q647
How does the listed speed penalty for armor affect creatures with different base speeds from 30 or 20?

Yora
2013-11-26, 07:59 AM
Q 465
How does the listed speed penalty for armor affect creatures with different base speeds from 30 or 20?

A647: There is a list on this page (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/additionalRules.html) under "Armor and Encumbrance for Other Base Speeds" that lists the reduce speeds for pretty much any base speed.

Keneth
2013-11-26, 09:58 AM
A647+ As a rule of thumb, the speed is reduced by a third and rounded up to the closest 5-foot increment, if I recall correctly.

Jormengand
2013-11-26, 11:39 AM
A 646 The Ninja, under alternate classes.

Benthesquid
2013-11-26, 12:13 PM
A646 Extended

In addition to the Ninja, Sneak Attack is available to the Vivisectionist archetype of the Alchemist class and the Sandman Archetype of the Bard class (this latter is a much reduced version- 1d6 at fifth level, and every five levels thereafter)

powerdemon
2013-11-26, 01:19 PM
Q 648

How does sneak attack stack for a multiclass character with say, levels in rogue, and sandman bard? Normally you add the levels together, but one gets it every other level and one gets it every 5.

Jormengand
2013-11-26, 01:24 PM
Normally you add the levels together

A648 You add the dice together, not the levels.

Psyren
2013-11-26, 01:42 PM
A648 addendum: Note that the vivisectionist breaks this rule: with vivisectionist, you add the levels, not the dice. For example, a rogue 3 has 2d6 SA, and a vivisectionist 3 also has 2d6 SA, but a vivesctionist 3/rogue 3 is treated like a rogue 6 and so only has 3d6 SA. You do not add the 2d6 from each class to get 4d6 like you would have done in 3.5. This prevents you from dipping vivisectionist to get +1d6 SA and Alchemy.

powerdemon
2013-11-26, 02:22 PM
So that rule only affects the alchemist? I thought that was a general sneak attack rule. So then a Ninja and a rogue would stack dice and not levels?

Jormengand
2013-11-26, 02:23 PM
So that rule only affects the alchemist? I thought that was a general sneak attack rule. So then a Ninja and a rogue would stack dice and not levels?

Yes, so a rogue 1/ninja 1 would have a 2d6 sneak attack, except that as an alternate class, ninja levels preclude you from taking levels in rogue and vice versa.

Psyren
2013-11-26, 02:50 PM
As Jormengand stated, you can't multiclass ninja and rogue anyway, making this moot.

I do seem to recall the non-dice-stacking being a general intent though; maybe JB said it somewhere? I'll see if I can dig it up.

Naomi Li
2013-11-26, 03:24 PM
Q649A Do "animate dead" and "lesser animate dead" share the same caster level pool?
Q649B If you have more than one caster level (say, because you're a mystic theurge), does each caster level have its own undead control pool?
Q649C Can you only make use of a caster level for purposes of controlling undead if you're animating them with a spell from that class?
Q649D Would an "animate dead" spell from a magical object (say, a staff) use the item's caster level for how many undead could be created but the caster's for how many could be controlled?

Q650 How do the "special materials" and "armor for unusual creatures" rules interact? What's the formula for determining final base price?

Yora
2013-11-26, 04:20 PM
A650: Usually it shouldn't make any difference. In case where it does, I believe there's a rule of thumb that modifiers should be applied in the order that is the most beneficial to the creature, which in this case would be the order that leads to the lowest end price. Though I'm not sure where this was stated.

Keneth
2013-11-26, 04:30 PM
A649a Yes.
A649b Yes.
A649c Yes.
A649d Depends on the item. Staves explicitly allow you to use your own caster level. Wands would work as you described.

Naomi Li
2013-11-26, 04:46 PM
Thank you, Yora and Kenneth (though Yora, that would seem to result in some REALLY weird things, and depending on how the order of operations is performed the price can vary wildly).

For example, Yora, here are three examples for how adamantine full plate armour might be calculated for a colossal non-humanoid creature. (Granted, this is probably close to the biggest difference)

Colossal non-humanoid adamantine full-plate
32*(1500 gp + 15,000 gp) = 528,000 gp
32*(1500 gp + 15,000 gp -150 gp) +150 gp = 523,350 gp
32*(1500 gp) + 15,000 gp = 63,000 gp

Kenneth, I was mostly thinking of when the item's caster level is HIGHER than the caster's caster level, so you're right that I ignored the "can use caster's caster level instead of the stave's if higher" bit.

Hadessniper
2013-11-26, 08:34 PM
Q651 My GM just had us cross a bridge that broke as we were crossing. I tried to cast feather fall, but he says I can't as it happened too quickly. As I understand it feather fall is an immideade action and can still be cast as you start falling, right?

Luciandevine
2013-11-26, 08:36 PM
Can a mythic spell be made permanent via the Permanency Spell?

I'm not sure if this has been asked or not, but my friends and I just got the Mythic Adventures book, and this is a question that came up. If the normal version of a spell can be made permanent via the Permanency spell, can the mythic version of the spell also be made permanent by it?

powerdemon
2013-11-26, 08:54 PM
Q651 My GM just had us cross a bridge that broke as we were crossing. I tried to cast feather fall, but he says I can't as it happened too quickly. As I understand it feather fall is an immideade action and can still be cast as you start falling, right?

A 651
You are correct. That is the entire point of it being an immediate action. That said, your DM has final say. But if s/he is going to change the rules, they should let you know ahead of time.

Psyren
2013-11-26, 08:58 PM
A651 You can cast feather fall at any point while falling. You can even cast other spells if the fall is long enough. However, you must make a concentration check.

A character cannot cast a spell while falling, unless the fall is greater than 500 feet or the spell is an immediate action, such as feather fall. Casting a spell while falling requires a concentration check with a DC equal to 20 + the spell's level.

TimeWizard
2013-11-27, 12:19 AM
Q652 When a Magus uses his Magus Arcana Baneblade, does he select which race or does he have to roll?

Q653 Ambiguous wording: When using Arcane Pool, can the weapon bonus improve an already magical weapon? i.e. can you spend a point to make a +2 mace a +3 mace?

Psyren
2013-11-27, 01:13 AM
A652 She can choose. The table is there for bane weapons found as randomized loot.

A653: Yes, it will stack up to a maximum of +5 enhancement. Beyond (or before) that, you can use the ability to add weapon properties from the list.

Spore
2013-11-27, 03:48 AM
A653 I wish to expand on that. It is the Magus' main way to circumvent any DR. +5 is DR/Alignment, +4 is DR/Adamantine and +3 helps for DR/Cold Iron and Silver. Not strictly answering but it pointing out.

Naomi Li
2013-11-27, 04:00 AM
Q644 When determining who is "adjacent" for teamwork feats when the character is tiny or smaller or large or larger, what is the criteria? "Adjacent 5-foot squares", "within creature's reach", or what?

Stephen_E
2013-11-27, 08:47 AM
Q655 If you use successfully use Feint against a defender using Crane Style (while defensively fighting) are they "aware" of the attack and able to use Crane Wing to deflect it?

Thanks

Crane Wing - Benefit: Once per round while using Crane Style, when you have at least one hand free and are either fighting defensively or using the total defense action, you can deflect one melee weapon attack that would normally hit you. You expend no action to deflect the attack, but you must be aware of it and not flat-footed. An attack so deflected deals no damage to you.

Feint - Feinting is a standard action. To feint, make a Bluff skill check. The DC of this check is equal to 10 + your opponent's base attack bonus + your opponent's Wisdom modifier. If your opponent is trained in Sense Motive, the DC is instead equal to 10 + your opponent's Sense Motive bonus, if higher. If successful, the next melee attack you make against the target does not allow him to use his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). This attack must be made on or before your next turn.

Keneth
2013-11-27, 12:26 PM
A654 Adjacent is adjacent. It's any square next to space occupied by the creature, or the same space if it's a legal position.

A655 Yes. Being denied your Dex bonus does not make you unaware of attacks or flat-footed.

Karoht
2013-11-27, 02:04 PM
Q656: Radius centered on you
Antimagic field is a 10ft radius emanation centered on the caster.
If a huge size dragon casts it, what happens?
How about a gargantuan/colossal creature?
Wreath of Blades is a 5ft radius emanation centered on the caster.
If a large or huge size creature casts it, what happens?

TimeWizard
2013-11-27, 02:45 PM
Q657: Is there such a weapon as a Great Mace, or a Great Hammer (as in, a two handed version of the one handed weapon a la Great Sword)?

powerdemon
2013-11-27, 03:12 PM
Q657: Is there such a weapon as a Great Mace, or a Great Hammer (as in, a two handed version of the one handed weapon a la Great Sword)?

A 657
The Earthbreaker is what you are looking for.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/earth-breaker

Luciandevine
2013-11-27, 03:16 PM
Q658: I'm not sure if this has been asked or not, but my friends and I just got the Mythic Adventures book, and this is a question that came up. If the normal version of a spell can be made permanent via the Permanency spell, can the mythic version of the spell also be made permanent by it?

Naomi Li
2013-11-27, 05:12 PM
Q659 Does "keep watch" cast at caster level 1 affect 0 or 1 targets?

Keneth
2013-11-27, 08:59 PM
A656 By RAW, you need to choose an intersection from where the effect emanates. Always, even if it's "centered" on you. This of course gets entirely ridiculous, so the vast majority of players and GMs treat such emanations as a radius from every intersection along the edges of the creature's space.

A658 No, by default only vanilla spells can be made permanent. Metamagics and mythic variants are not part of the list.

A659 You can't affect 0 targets, that would make the casting illegal. So by RAW, you can't use the spell at 1st level, but it's reasonable to house rule it to a minimum of 1 target.

Benthesquid
2013-11-28, 12:18 AM
Q660: If you're proficient with a whip, you can use a Scorpion Whip as a Whip. Does this allow you to apply the benefits of feats like Weapon Focus; Whip and Whip Mastery?

Q660 A If you're using the Scorpion Whip as a Whip, does it count as a light weapon, as the Scorpion Whip usually is, or a one handed weapon, as the Whip?

Q661: The Equipment Trick (Rope) Feat allows you to use a knotted rope as a whip. What are the rules, if any, for applying magic bonuses to an unusual weapon like this?

Yora
2013-11-28, 01:53 AM
A660: Yes, "use as a whip" means getting the benefits from feats that usually apply only to whips.
It's still a one-handed weapon, though.

JoeYounger
2013-11-28, 11:37 AM
Q:662

Drow poison has an effect of "unconsciousness". If I use drow poison to knock someone out, can their ally wake them up on their next turn? Or does drow poison render them unable to wake up from the unconsciousness as well?

Jormengand
2013-11-28, 01:02 PM
A 661: You cannot. The rope is not a weapon, despite your ability to use it as one - you can use a chair leg as an improvised weapon and yet cannot have a chair leg +3.

weckar
2013-11-28, 01:21 PM
Q:663
Is it true that an Elf with the Dreamspeaker ART and a Charisma of 15 or higher would qualify for feats and PrCs as if being able to cast 5th level arcane spells, on account of dream?

Cieyrin
2013-11-28, 01:27 PM
A 661 additional While you can't permanently enchant a knotted rope or otherwise improvised weapon, you may be able to use temporary enchantments, like Greater Magic Weapon or the Magus' Arcane Pool ability.

A 662 No, they're out. You need to remove the poison or use something else to cure the effect.

A 663 I believe the answer is currently still yes, according to the FAQ (http://paizo.com/products/btpy88yj/faq?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Core-Rulebook#v5748eaic9qow).

Benthesquid
2013-11-28, 01:31 PM
Q:663
Is it true that an Elf with the Dreamspeaker ART and a Charisma of 15 or higher would qualify for feats and PrCs as if being able to cast 5th level arcane spells, on account of dream?

A663:

Yes, the developers have clarified (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qow) that Spell Like abilities can be used to qualify for prestige classes.

That being said, it only counts as being able to use fifth level spells. If the prestige class requires you to be able to cast third level spells, then it doesn't work (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9r95).

Karoht
2013-11-28, 01:54 PM
A656 By RAW, you need to choose an intersection from where the effect emanates. Always, even if it's "centered" on you. This of course gets entirely ridiculous, so the vast majority of players and GMs treat such emanations as a radius from every intersection along the edges of the creature's space.I figured RAW was 'pick a point' but common player/DM behavior seems to be taking the emanation from the edges of the space.

magotter
2013-11-28, 08:20 PM
Q664: Is it possible to, via Craft, make improved versions of listed items?
ex: Make a Tanglefoot Bag with a higher Save DC than the one listed in the SRD?

Keneth
2013-11-28, 09:10 PM
A664 There is no general rule which would allow you to do so, though certain classes gain bonuses with specific items when they use them.

Spore
2013-11-29, 01:54 AM
Q665 If I have an Cassisian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/angel/angel-cassisian) Angel as Familiar and wear it, am I unable to benefit from Head slot wondrous items (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items#table-head-slot-wondrous-items)?

Q666 Can a Cassisian shift into anything different than a helm, a dog, an angel, a dove or an fish by RAW? How does it work to pretend to be an item/animal? Ranks in Disguise with the usual +10 for changing form? (Ironic that this question is about an angel, right?)

Yora
2013-11-29, 02:27 AM
A665: You can't really wear a cassian. You might carry it, but it doesn't count as a wearable magical item.

A666: No, it says it can only take the forms of "Small human-like angel, dove, dog, or Tiny fish". Nothing else. To pretend to be an actual animal, it would have to make a disguise check. However, being under a polymorph effect grants a creature a +10 bonus to disguise checks. If someone else beats the Disguise check with a Sense Motive check, the person knows that it's not an actual dove, dog, or fish, but just something that looks like one.

Spore
2013-11-29, 02:49 AM
Q666b If the Sense Motive is successful they just know it isn't what it appears to be, right? They still have to "identify" it via Knowledge (Planes)?

Psyren
2013-11-29, 03:11 AM
A666a correction: Disguise (even from magic, like polymorph effects) is opposed by Perception, not Sense Motive.

A666b: The perception check would tell them "hey, that's not a real fish/dog/etc!" They would then have to make a knowledge check, yes. Failure would mean they know the fish/etc. is not a true example of its kind, but not what the Cassisian actually is.

Zubrowka74
2013-11-29, 01:14 PM
Q667: An Oracle with the Haunted curse gets to add Mage Hand and Ghost Sounds to his spell list. Are they cast as divine spells? Are they subject to Arcane Spell Failure?

Psyren
2013-11-29, 01:19 PM
A667: The spells are added to your Oracle spell list, meaning they are divine. They are not subject to ASF.

Zubrowka74
2013-11-29, 01:36 PM
Q668a: If an invisible Magus casts a touch spell with the intention of delivering it through Spellstrike,does he stay invisible until me makes the actual melee attack?

Q668b: If said Magus charges, does he get to move before becoming visible?

powerdemon
2013-11-29, 01:49 PM
Q668a: If an invisible Magus casts a touch spell with the intention of delivering it through Spellstrike,does he stay invisible until me makes the actual melee attack?

Q668b: If said Magus charges, does he get to move before becoming visible?
A 668
Casting the spell is not attacking. Once you make the attack role, you become visible. Same with the charge. The movement isn't an attack, the swing at the end is.

Zubrowka74
2013-11-29, 01:54 PM
A 668
Casting the spell is not attacking. Once you make the attack role, you become visible. Same with the charge. The movement isn't an attack, the swing at the end is.

Q668c: SO the invisible Magus could cast a touch spell one round then the next he charges and spellstrikes with the invisibility boni?

powerdemon
2013-11-29, 02:13 PM
Q668c: SO the invisible Magus could cast a touch spell one round then the next he charges and spellstrikes with the invisibility boni?

A 668c

Round 1: Cast the spell and hold the charge
Round 2: Charge opponent and attack with spellstrike. Your invisibility ends as soon as the charge attack is resolved.

Yes. As long as you don't do anything else to end your invisibility, that would work wonderfully.

Naomi Li
2013-11-29, 05:32 PM
Q669 Chromatic blue dragons possess the ability to destroy liquids and "reduce" them into sand. How does this function? Is it a nuclear trasmutation from oxygen, hydrogen, and everything else present into silicon dioxide, the utter annihilation of the matter with the energy used to generate sand, chemically ripping apart the liquids into component gasses and fine-grained solids, a burst of energy chemically ripping liquids apart and using the leftover spell energy to assemble sand from the local environment, some trick involving interplanar teleportation of materials, or what? There are a great many possibilities, all with very different implications and behaviours in non-standard conditions.

Karoht
2013-11-29, 05:41 PM
Q669 Chromatic blue dragons possess the ability to destroy liquids and "reduce" them into sand. How does this function? Is it a nuclear trasmutation from oxygen, hydrogen, and everything else present into silicon dioxide, the utter annihilation of the matter with the energy used to generate sand, chemically ripping apart the liquids into component gasses and fine-grained solids, a burst of energy chemically ripping liquids apart and using the leftover spell energy to assemble sand from the local environment, some trick involving interplanar teleportation of materials, or what? There are a great many possibilities, all with very different implications and behaviours in non-standard conditions.
A669Non-serious answer, a wizard did it. Particle physics and DnD don't go together, I'm pretty sure you just murdered about a dozen catgirls with that question.
Serious answer-Magic. Lets say transmutation because that seems to fit best. Sounds like a bizarre version of disintigrate mixed with polymorph/fabricate, maybe minor creation (a conjuration spell, I know) mixed in.
OR, because it calls out Chromatic blues as having Create Water at will at the same time as describing this ability, perhaps it is simply an inversion of the Create Water spell, which would be a Conjuration effect.

Keneth
2013-11-29, 05:59 PM
A669 It's magic, you ain't gotta explain sh​it. My guess is, it's a transmutation effect that instantly evaporates (or otherwise reduces) liquids, kinda like disintegrate, and turns any remaining matter into sand.

Red Bear
2013-11-29, 07:19 PM
Q670 What does skill rank mean?
For example Trick riding has a ride 9 ranks prerequisite. Does this mean you can take the feat at level 6 if it's a class skill? does the ability score matter? Do misc/other modifiers matter?

Naomi Li
2013-11-29, 07:38 PM
A670 A skill rank is a skill point invested in the skill in question, and cannot be higher than your character's hit dice. So the earliest you can get that feat is HD 9, unless there's something that allows you to ignore prerequisites (some class features allow you to acquire feats you're otherwise not qualified for, for example) or there's some REALLY weird ability in Pathfinder that I am unaware of. Bonuses to your skill checks are completely unrelated to skill ranks, other than that both improve your check results.

Psyren
2013-11-29, 09:28 PM
A669 TIC addendum: Thinking about this stuff too much turns you into Tycho. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/12/02)

A670: Red Bear, please note that max skill ranks in Pathfinder are equal to your level, not level+3 like they are in 3.5.

powerdemon
2013-11-29, 10:31 PM
A670: Red Bear, please note that max skill ranks in Pathfinder are equal to your level, not level+3 like they are in 3.5.

I think s/he was referring to the +3 bonus for putting ranks in a class skill.

Red Bear
2013-11-30, 04:06 PM
I think s/he was referring to the +3 bonus for putting ranks in a class skill.

Yes, I was asking if that +3 bonus had to be taken into account, when considering the prerequisites for feats. I've learned that it doesn't.

Dalebert
2013-11-30, 11:41 PM
Q 671

If a Gravewalker witch uses her Possess Undead ability to posses one of her bloody skeletons and it is brought to 0 hit points outside of her aura of desecration, but is not "permanently destroyed" as it comes back to unlife in 1 hour and resumes fast healing, is the witch actually dead?

Q 672

If "no" to 671 (otherwise disregard), can she return to the poppet and/or her body if they are brought within range of the bloody skeleton during that hour or is she trapped in it until it rises again?

Psyren
2013-11-30, 11:53 PM
A671: Actually, you have a bit more leeway on this than you think. The minion must be within your aura when you initially possess it, but the possession itself functions as magic jar, which has medium range (100ft. + 10ft./level.) So you can pilot the minion some distance outside of your aura and still be able to get back to your body/poppet if it is destroyed.

In any case, a bloody skeleton is destroyed when brought to 0 even if it can come back later. You will need to return to your body immediately or perish; you can't wait around for the hour it takes to come back.

A672: Disregarding.

Benthesquid
2013-12-01, 12:53 AM
Q673- What happens if my original body dies while I'm using Marionette Possession? My best reading is that you die when the duration runs out or your host is killed, but I'm not certain.

Q674- Does Parasitic Soul require you to use a trapped soul, or can you use your own as well? I'm never certain when it says things like "You may instead,"

Q675- If Parasitic Soul doesn't work, is there a reliable (IE, not dragging the person you want to switch with into an area of Primal Magic and casting until DM rolls body switch on the random effects table) way to switch bodies permanently?

RFLS
2013-12-01, 02:06 AM
Q 676:

Where are the rules for raising an army located, in reference to the Kingdom Building rules presented in Ultimate Campaign?

Dalebert
2013-12-01, 09:18 AM
Q 677
If you cast invisibility on yourself and then go into the poppet, then magic jar one of your undead minions, does that end invisibility on your body?

Q 678
Alternately, if someone casts invisibility on your body after you magic jar a minion, does attacking from inside the minion end invisibility on your body?
EDIT: If you magic jar a skeleton ghoul, then someone makes your body invisible, then you attack an enemy as the skeleton, does that attack end invisibility on your body?

Q 679
Can effects that normally only have living targets be cast on your body, e.g. Sanctuary?

Yora
2013-12-01, 09:48 AM
A673: "Any life force with nowhere to go is treated as slain." When your soul has to leave the body it is currently in, and your own body is dead, you are dead.

A674: Since the spell says it functions like magic jar and does not say you can't use your own soul, you should be able to do it.

A676: There are no rules for raising armies. You apparently just buy them during the building phase and it's instantly ready for deployment. (A reasonable houserule seems to be that you have to "place the order" and pay the resources one month before you actually get the final army.)

A677: You mean "does magic jar on your ally count as an attack spell" to end invisibility? It says an attack is any action that harms a foe. Since no foe is harmed, the body should stay invisible.

A678: When your soul is in another body, your own body simply becomes an object which is the target of the ivisibility spell. Any souls going in or out of it does not cause any spells that are on the body to move as well (or end).

A679: The magic jar spell doesn't really say if an empty body is alive or dead.

Benthesquid
2013-12-01, 11:13 AM
A678- There's a point of order to clear up here. I'm not sure you can Magic Jar into a skeleton. By the rules of Magic Jar, you can only swap with a creature that has a soul, which specifically excludes mindless undead. The Gravewalker Witch Archetype (I assume that's what you're using) allows you to possess one of your undead minions, as though using Magic Jar, but it does not specifically allow you to possess a mindless undead creature, and you do have the ability to control sentient undead with the Bonethrall ability.

Red Bear
2013-12-01, 12:24 PM
Q680 If a requirement for a prestige class is BAB +6, if I have a BAB of +6 "after" taking the first level in the PrC can I take the level? or do I need a BAB of +6 and then I can gain a level in a PrC?

In short considering a full BAB PrC with a prerequisite of +6, When I take the first level of this PrC will I need to have a BAB of +6 or +7?

Benthesquid
2013-12-01, 12:26 PM
Q680 If a requirement for a prestige class is BAB +6, if I have a BAB of +6 "after" taking the first level in the PrC can I take the level? or do I need a BAB of +6 and then I can gain a level in a PrC?

In short considering a full BAB PrC with a prerequisite of +6, When I take the first level of this PrC will I need to have a BAB of +6 or +7?

A680 You need to meet the requirements before you can take a level in a PRC.

Dalebert
2013-12-01, 02:38 PM
I attempted to edit the question but I feel the need to repost it with clearer wording as the first answer misunderstood what I asked and the second answer, while still helpful, still did not answer my original (badly-worded?) question.

Q 678
If you magic jar a ghoul (it's not mindless), then someone makes your body invisible, then you attack an enemy as the ghoul, does that attack end invisibility on your body?

Q 681
Can you issue commands to any other undead under your control while in the body of the ghoul? Meaning, will they know it's you in there?

Q 682
Can a Gravewalker witch magic jar a creature that is under your control via casting command undead, the spell; not the hex?

Q 683
"Spell trigger items can be used by anyone whose class can cast the corresponding spell."
Does this mean a witch can trigger an item if the spell is on any patron theme list?

Acora
2013-12-01, 09:22 PM
Q684a Scribing a spell from a scroll into a Wizard's spellbook requires one hour of study and a spellcraft check. Obviously since there's a check, there's a chance of failure. Now, it says that if you fail to copy a spell from a spellbook, you have to wait a week before you can retry that spell. Is there an additional penalty for failing with a scroll? Would the scroll be destroyed, or would something else happen?

Q684b If a Wizard successfully scribes a spell from a scroll into his spellbook, what happens to the scroll?

Dalebert
2013-12-01, 09:31 PM
A684a The scroll is unharmed if the spellcraft check fails.

A684b The text vanishes from the scroll when it is successfully copied into a spellbook.

Acora
2013-12-01, 10:06 PM
Q685 Gauntlets do the same damage as regular unarmed strikes, while cestuses do higher damage. Would a Monk wearing cestuses (Cesti?) do more damage than a monk of the same level wearing gauntlets, or would the damage be the same? Also, can Cestuses be disarmed?

Keneth
2013-12-01, 10:55 PM
A678 No, the invisibility spell is affecting the body, not you. As mentioned, physical aspects of spells are not transferable.

A681 Yes, you are still controlling them. What you look like is irrelevant.

A682 No, using command undead does not make an undead creature "your minion".

A683 No, without the patron, the spells are not on your spell list.

A685 Neither gauntlets nor cesti actually count as "unarmed attacks", in spite of what their descriptions may imply. The designers have clearly stated that all such implications should be ignored and will be fixed at some point in the future. In other words, both weapons always deal the listed amount of damage. The same holds true for spiked gauntlets, rope gauntlets, brass knuckles, and any other weapon that states it should be treated as an unarmed attack.

And no, cesti can't be disarmed.

Acora
2013-12-01, 11:09 PM
A685 Neither gauntlets nor cesti actually count as "unarmed attacks", in spite of what their descriptions may imply. The designers have clearly stated that all such implications should be ignored and will be fixed at some point in the future. In other words, both weapons always deal the listed amount of damage. The same holds true for spiked gauntlets, rope gauntlets, brass knuckles, and any other weapon that states it should be treated as an unarmed attack.

And no, cesti can't be disarmed.

Can you link me to a location where this is stated by a developer, so I can cite it for my players?

Keneth
2013-12-01, 11:38 PM
Sure, start here (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2kqan&page=2?Adventurers-Armory-Questions) and read the posts by SKR.

Adventurer's Armory errata actually did fix this issue after the posts by SKR were made, but sadly, the problem was replicated in Ultimate Equipment because someone decided to copy-paste the old text instead of the fixed one. They did however move the weapons to where they should be on the weapons table, so I guess that's something.

Dalebert
2013-12-02, 12:11 AM
A682 No, using command undead does not make an undead creature "your minion".

They claim it does in bonethrall:
"the creature falls under her control as if she had used command undead"
Can you help me understand your interpretation? I started a new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16533562#post16533562).

Legendxp
2013-12-02, 08:57 AM
Q686: Can you take a variant class like steadfast monk for 2 levels, and then another variant of the same class like vigilant monk the next 2 levels? If not, could you quote the rules for this? I'll be using this in a discussion for another thread.

Dalebert
2013-12-02, 09:10 AM
Clarifying a question.

Q 685
The Gravewalker's possess undead ability refers to "her undead minions". What does "minion" mean in this context and what are the means, if any, that a Gravewalker has by level 8 to cause an intelligent undead to qualify for that category?

Q 686
Supernatural abilities are defined as standard actions that do not provoke AoOs. Does this mean they do no require V or S components?

Q 687
Does the victim of an attack by a supernatural ability necessarily know the origin of the attack?

Yora
2013-12-02, 10:27 AM
@686: The PRD does not have any results for "variant class", "steadfast monk" or "vigilant monk". Could you explain what exactly you mean?

A688: Supernatural Abilities are not spells, so they don't have any verbal or somatic components. (Or material components or focuses.)

A689: Not neccessarily. It would depend on the specific ability.

Benthesquid
2013-12-02, 10:43 AM
A686: Assuming that by variant class you mean Archetype, and that by steadfast and vigilant monk you mean two Monk archetypes that actually exist in Pathfinder, no. The relevant rules here are

When a character selects a class, he must choose to use the standard class features found or those listed in one of the archetypes presented here. Each alternate class feature replaces a specific class feature from its parent class. For example, the elemental fist class feature of the monk of the four winds replaces the stunning fist class feature of the monk. When an archetype includes multiple class features, a character must take all of them—often blocking the character from ever gaining certain familiar class features, but replacing them with equally powerful options.

However, you can take multiple archetypes at the same time, provided that they do not replace or alter any of the same class features.

A character can take more than one archetype and garner additional alternate class features, but none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature from the core class as another alternate class feature.

Legendxp
2013-12-02, 10:51 AM
C686: *facepalm* I'm a complete idiot. I posted in the wrong thread. This is D&D related, not pathfinder related. I'll be posting this question in a different thread momentarily. Sorry about the mix up.

powerdemon
2013-12-02, 11:35 AM
C686: *facepalm* I'm a complete idiot. I posted in the wrong thread. This is D&D related, not pathfinder related. I'll be posting this question in a different thread momentarily. Sorry about the mix up.

The answer is actually the same :)

Dalebert
2013-12-02, 11:58 AM
Q 688
Is there an enchantment (or possibly another way) to reduce the ASF chance of armor by 10%? The equivalent of caster twilight armor from MIC in 3.5? Trying to see if I have a caster with light armor prof, can he potentially wear a mithral chain shirt with 0% ASF.

Red Bear
2013-12-02, 12:23 PM
A688
Something like this feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-armor-training-combat)?

Karoht
2013-12-02, 03:51 PM
Q689: Immediate Actions
Background Info-In a recent session a contingent effect went off (monk punches caster, contingency was "If I take damage, Greater Dispel Magic whoever hit me."), and the result was that the attacker no longer had reach to the caster (lost buffs, lost size bonuses, lost a spell granting reach), therefore could not continue the rest of the attack chain.
Monk proceeded to be rather upset that the attack chain could be interrupted, and demanded proof ("show me in a book" proof that an immediate action (or a contingent effect) could interrupt an attack in such a manner.
I know that this is how it works, but not sure as to the why and what rules support/confirm it. I have a rough idea as to why it works,

So the question finally.
Can someone explain the process by which Immediate/Continent effects can break a full-attack chain, and possibly support it with book/pathfindersrd.com references?
Big question I know, sorry for the big preface.

To keep this from being a wall of text, under the spoiler cut is my estimation of why it works:

Monk Initiative 20
Wizard Initiative 19

The Contingent spell is resolved much like an Immediate Action, and the Immediate Action can occur on any initiative. So the Monk punches the Wizard, Contingent effect is triggered (or Wizard uses Celerity if we involve some 3.5), the effect then occurs on a higher initiative than the thing triggering it, in this case 21. Or in the case of celerity, the wizard just chooses to act on initiative 21.

Just using celerity as the example as it was the only immediate action spell I could think of that everyone would know and would apply to the example.

Again, this is my estimation of how/why it works, I could not find rules to support or disprove this set of assumptions, as the entry on Immediate Actions is rather brief.

Keneth
2013-12-02, 04:12 PM
A689 I don't see what the problem is. An immediate action or contingent effects are almost always instantaneous, much like free actions, and can happen either before or after any action. A full attack is a full-round action composed of one or more attack actions and potentially a 5-foot step, so an immediate action can occur at any point during a full attack. If that means that the attacker can no longer hit you because you're not in their reach, then they can't finish their full attack unless they can fulfill the conditions for attack again, such as by taking a 5-foot step to get you back in their reach. The player clearly does not have a good grasp of the action economy, so refer them to the Combat section of the rules.

Karoht
2013-12-02, 04:40 PM
A689 I don't see what the problem is. An immediate action or contingent effects are almost always instantaneous, much like free actions, and can happen either before or after any action. A full attack is a full-round action composed of one or more attack actions and potentially a 5-foot step, so an immediate action can occur at any point during a full attack. If that means that the attacker can no longer hit you because you're not in their reach, then they can't finish their full attack unless they can fulfill the conditions for attack again, such as by taking a 5-foot step to get you back in their reach. The player clearly does not have a good grasp of the action economy, so refer them to the Combat section of the rules.I did. The section about Immediate Actions isn't actually all that descriptive. The example given is Feather Fall. I read on the Paizo board that the best description for how they are used/implimented is much like a Ready Action/Held Action.

gr8artist
2013-12-02, 05:09 PM
A 689: A full-attack action is certainly interruptable. You can make your first attack, and then decide whether to finish the full attack (against the same or different targets) or take a move action instead (effectively changing that first blow from your full-attack into a standard action attack).
Relevant rules:Full Attack
If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough (see Base Attack Bonus in Classes), because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon, or for some special reason, you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks. You do not need to specify the targets of your attacks ahead of time. You can see how the earlier attacks turn out before assigning the later ones.

The only movement you can take during a full attack is a 5-foot step. You may take the step before, after, or between your attacks.

If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first. If you are using a double weapon, you can strike with either part of the weapon first.

Deciding between an Attack or a Full Attack: After your first attack, you can decide to take a move action instead of making your remaining attacks, depending on how the first attack turns out and assuming you have not already taken a move action this round. If you've already taken a 5-foot step, you can't use your move action to move any distance, but you could still use a different kind of move action.
Also, note that you can take a 5' step during your full-attack action. Would it make sense to start punching the wizard, then step toward the fighter while still punching the wizard who is now out of reach. Also, if you become staggered or stunned after an attack, you don't get to finish the action. An invisible opponent is visible immediately after the first attack, not after all attacks in a series.
It sounds like your guy is being whiny and grasping at straws.

Naomi Li
2013-12-02, 06:36 PM
Q690 Is there any reason an oracle (not cleric) that worships a good deity could not enhance their desecrate spells with an altar to said good deity?

Benthesquid
2013-12-02, 07:44 PM
A690: RAW, no. But given it's an evil spell that does overtly evil things that help evil beings do other evil things, I'd expect there to be some alignment repercussions unless they had a really Good (note the capital G) reason for it. Possibly, if they made a habit of this sort of thing, it might lead to their patron deities withdrawing power from them, but this would be a GM's call, and might just as easily result in a less savory group of deities stepping in and granting them power.

On a related note, while an Oracle might worship an individual deity, they draw power from "from many sources, namely those patron deities who support their ideals."

Psyren
2013-12-02, 08:14 PM
A689 addendum: Immediate actions can be performed literally at any time, yes even then. Aside from the 1/round restriction they have even more freedom than free actions.

A690 addendum: Could you elaborate on this one? Consecrate does just about everything you would want desecrate to do, except it's good, so I'm confused as to why you would want to use desecrate at all.

Keneth
2013-12-02, 09:43 PM
Immediate actions can be performed literally at any time, yes even then.

To be fair, even immediate actions follow standard action progression. They can be performed either before or after another (base) action, not during. For instance, you can't perform an immediate action after an instantaneous spell is cast, but before it is resolved; You can perform it either before it is cast or after it resolves.

D&D actions basically form a MtG stack, except you don't have cards to represent it. :smallbiggrin:

Naomi Li
2013-12-02, 09:59 PM
Q690 addendum I was mostly thinking along the lines of an undead (or undead using/supporting) character that worships a good deity. Whether that character's alignment is good, neutral, or evil doesn't actually matter provided they're worshippers in good standing with the deity and aren't clerics. (It might be a bit odd, but one can have an evil aligned worshipper of Shelyn in good standing that is also sane)

Dalebert
2013-12-02, 10:17 PM
A688
Something like this feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/arcane-armor-training-combat)?

I'm not sure I want it badly enough for a feat slot, but apparently the Twilight enchantment (+1 equivalent) doesn't exist in PF. Oh well. :smallfrown:

powerdemon
2013-12-02, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure I want it badly enough for a feat slot, but apparently the Twilight enchantment (+1 equivalent) doesn't exist in PF. Oh well. :smallfrown:

Ask the DM real nice if they will allow it in PF. My group has agreed to allow it. There were some masterwork components from a Dragon magazine article as well that would reduce the ASF by 5%.

Benthesquid
2013-12-02, 11:00 PM
Q690 addendum I was mostly thinking along the lines of an undead (or undead using/supporting) character that worships a good deity. Whether that character's alignment is good, neutral, or evil doesn't actually matter provided they're worshippers in good standing with the deity and aren't clerics. (It might be a bit odd, but one can have an evil aligned worshipper of Shelyn in good standing that is also sane)

A690: As before- there is no mechanical reason this won't work, but doing evil things to their altar is unlikely to keep your character in good standing with a good aligned god.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-12-03, 02:25 AM
Q 691

Damnation stride (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/damnation-strike) has a duration of 1 min/level. What does that mean?

gr8artist
2013-12-03, 05:11 AM
A 691: It's a typo. It has to be, because there's no logistical reason for that spell to linger at all. I almost jumped at the mythic part, but it specifies its own duration there. So, yeah... Typo.

Dalebert
2013-12-03, 10:33 AM
Q 682
Can a Gravewalker witch magic jar a creature that is under your control via casting command undead, the spell; not the hex?

A 682
I'm going to say "no". I suspect there is a mis-link in the bonethrall (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcastingClassOptions/witch.html#gravewalker-(archetype)) ability to the command undead spell (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/commandUndead.html#_command-undead) when they meant to link to the cleric feat by the exact same name (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/command-undead---final). If that's the case, it resolves the ambiguity and the wording of bonethrall (1 HD / lvl, intelligent undead get a new save every day) matches the feat; not the spell. Therefore, casting command undead would not qualify an undead as a "minion". I've started a Paizo thread and welcome any clicks to recommend it for the FAQ. (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qf3b?Gravewalker-Does-the-bonethrall-description#1)

Zubrowka74
2013-12-03, 10:49 AM
A690: ...
On a related note, while an Oracle might worship an individual deity, they draw power from "from many sources, namely those patron deities who support their ideals."

And I might add, the Oracle does not necessarely choose to be recipient of these powers. The "mystery" or "force" (or gods) chooses the individual to be an oracle. At least that's my understanding. The orlacle could personnaly worship any other god of a compatible alignment, even if he's not part of the mystery.

Dalebert
2013-12-04, 01:06 AM
Q 692
Can you make a decent mount with animate dead?

Q 693
The Command Undead feat says intelligent undead receive a new save each day to resist. Can you use another channeling before 24 hours have passed and command them not to resist, thereby renewing it for another 24 hours?

Wyrm Ouroboros
2013-12-04, 06:01 AM
Q 694
The Rogue (Sniper) gains Accuracy at first level, which halves all range increment penalties with a bow or crossbow. The feat Far Shot reduces the range increment penalty from -2 to -1. Am I correct in believing that the feat should be applied first, and the result reduced by half?

Example: At range increment 10, the standard penalty is -20. With Far Shot, this is reduced to -10. Accuracy reduces this further, to -5.

Correct?

Dalebert
2013-12-04, 11:39 AM
Q 695
What is the duration of Aura of Desecration(Su) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo---witch-archetypes/gravewalker)?

Jormengand
2013-12-04, 11:42 AM
A695

Apparently, Instantaneous. You should probably house-rule it: I don't see anything specifying a duration.

Benthesquid
2013-12-04, 11:43 AM
Q 692
Can you make a decent mount with animate dead?

A 692

A little outside the scope of this thread, as what qualifies as a decent mount varies by your needs and resources. If you're a high enough level, there's no reason you can't have a Zombie Dragon to ride around on. On the other hand, for a lower level, if you're willing to burn the HD controllable (four strictly by RAW, probably eight if your GM considers zombie bonus templates to work like skeletons'), you can have a Dire Bat Fast Zombie to fly you around with it's forty foot fly speed, or a regenerating skeletal wolf.

Keneth
2013-12-04, 12:05 PM
A695 As far as I know, it's an emanation centered on the caster that can be activated at will and lasts indefinitely. It's not something you pop on the ground, though the wording, like with most of that archetype, is vague at best.

Dalebert
2013-12-04, 12:13 PM
A 692
A little outside the scope of this thread, as what qualifies as a decent mount varies by your needs and resources.

Good point. Rephrasing.

Q 692
Can they function as mounts considering they're mindless and mount animals typically require training? Is there anything specifically they could or could not do compared to a live, trained mount?

Zubrowka74
2013-12-04, 12:34 PM
Q696: Charging while invisible - does it deny the bonus to AC on the first attack?

Yora
2013-12-04, 12:38 PM
A694: Correct. Accuracy and Far Shot combined should reduce the penalties to 1/4 the original penalty. Which would be -1 for every two range increments.

A696: While you are running, you are still invisible. So when you reach the target and make your attack roll, the target still does not get its Dexterity bonus to AC against your attack.