New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Magic Staff included in a weapon

Would it be considered bad if my oracle in the campaign (Just made lvl 15, has a feat to choose) took Craft Staff & made his Guisarme into a staff? It's enchanted already. (+2 Holy Spell Storing if it matters). He's got the Haunted curse so the less switching gear around the better. I see that several staffs are weapons but are clubs or quarterstaves. It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to make a polearm a staff to me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic Staff included in a weapon

Quote Originally Posted by rollforeigninit View Post
    Would it be considered bad if my oracle in the campaign (Just made lvl 15, has a feat to choose) took Craft Staff & made his Guisarme into a staff? It's enchanted already. (+2 Holy Spell Storing if it matters). He's got the Haunted curse so the less switching gear around the better. I see that several staffs are weapons but are clubs or quarterstaves. It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to make a polearm a staff to me.
    That's more of a question for your DM than the playground. There's not really rules to cover this, so it's a DM decision.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just looking for opinions actually. I bet he'd be okay with it. I know as DM he's the be all & end all. Looking at the Staff of Power it seems like the only sticking point is if the Guisarme counts as enough of a staff to qualify for staff-hood.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I'd probably rule against it, but on the other hand it does have a long shaft on it about the length of a quarterstaff so I can see the argument that it would apply.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Well, spell staves usually require special construction, they're not just enchanted wooden poles. I would most likely rule against it as well.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Anyone else would be able to do a, more or less, mechanical equivalent with two lesser crystals of return (300gp) but with some added benefit.

I would allow it, but raise the base cost of the glaive by some amount, maybe +1000gp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    If you consider the RP aspect, you might want to consider alternatives to Tortle Str Ranger.
    I mean, why would the rest of the party trust this Tortal StRanger...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Can't many staffs by default be used as quarterstaffs?
    Sure, I'd probably allow it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

@Ravens_Cry: All staffs require a Masterwork Quaterstaff to be used in their creation, so ALL staffs can be used as a quaterstaff.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    @Ravens_Cry: All staffs require a Masterwork Quaterstaff to be used in their creation, so ALL staffs can be used as a quaterstaff.
    I thought so. Adding a blade wouldn't be that much of a deal in my view.
    Historically, I believe quarterstaffs were used more like spears anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I think that there are rules for combining magic items in the Magic Item Compendium. Normally it's for two items covering the same slot, but it's more or less the same thing here. If memory serves it costs 50% more than the individual item would on it's own (the item effect that you are adding on top of the existing magic item). Still, as the others have said, it's up to the DM in the end.

I would allow it just fine.
    Last edited by Bonzai; 2013-03-27 at 05:20 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Of course I'd be following the rules. Its mostly for the look and feel of the character. In his opinion, staves are for old Wizard folk to hobble around with. He's also heading towards making this an artifact or relic type item.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

50% Cost increase to the staff of power, and sure.

Alternatively, he can just start enchanting his new quarterstaff as a quarterstaff as well as a staff of power. I believe that's legal under the rules.

Why is it so important he have a slashy bit at the end? Pathfinder, +2 negates DR Slashing/Piercing/Bludgeoning anyhow.
    "You want to see how a Human dies? at ramming speed."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Huh, I've been playing Pathfinder so long, I've completely forgotten you used to need a quarterstaff to make spell staves. I guess in 3.5 they are just enchanted wooden poles...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Would it be possible to circumvent the 50% cost increase for combining two magic items to, first, create the Staff of Power as normal and then, separately, create a magical barbed dagger - then Sovereign Glue the dagger onto the end of the Staff of Power? That works out to be a polearm, more or less, right?

I know 3.stuff edition is usually on the side of punishing creativity, but that sounds like it would work.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2013-03-27 at 07:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Devil

If your DM gets uppity, take a Morphing Weapon enchantment. I used it with a Wu Jen who PAO'd himself into a Pit Fiend, then manifested Giant Size; and whatnot, so he's ranging between 30metres high, 8 metres high, normal height, and anything in between. So he had Morphing Sizing, Aptitude Enchanted Quarterstaff; which allowed him a Staff in the form of a Colossal Spiked Chain with 150ft range to threaten when he felt like hitting things really hard, and then swapping it down to a staff or dagger (for opening letters with) when he needed to.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    50% Cost increase to the staff of power, and sure.

Alternatively, he can just start enchanting his new quarterstaff as a quarterstaff as well as a staff of power. I believe that's legal under the rules.

Why is it so important he have a slashy bit at the end? Pathfinder, +2 negates DR Slashing/Piercing/Bludgeoning anyhow.
    Its mostly an in character reason. I'm a Battle Oracle. I spend a lot of time Large size or bigger knocking baddies down then thwacking them. I need reach and trip. He used to be a foot soldier pre oracle-recruitment via deity. I've also noticed that there aren't many cleric oriented staves at least in the CRB. This way I get something a wizard won't want or be able to use w/o effort.