New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Let the gender in games be moved here PLZ

Quote Originally Posted by Liliet View Post
    You see, there have been scenes with male characters being freaking awesome and badass solo. Like, the scenes that center specifically on their awesomeness on their own.

A good example which was not first brought up by me was Roy's arena fight with Thog.

There is only one female character who could have such a scene: Haley. It does not matter to me personally, as a girl, how high a percentage of male characters have got those scenes; what matters to me is, since that was established as a thing, I want a female character - who I, due to our shared gender, see as more or less a representation of me in the comic - to get one too.

At the time of that debate, she hadn't.
    I would be remiss to let 470 go unmentioned.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

470 is good, but I do think that the most recent stretch of strips is definitely more comparable to Roy v. Thog than 470. The composition of this fight has a similar scope to that fight, rather than the single-strip 470, and involves going against the character's most hated nemesis in a situation where everything appears to be completely stacked against you.

Not saying 470 isn't awesome. It is. Just not a pants-crappingly awesome hero moment like Roy vs. Thog. The 970s? That's Haley's pants-crappingly awesome hero moment right there.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    This post is a public service announcement.

Remember, folks, that when you use "female" as a noun to refer to humans, you sound either like an extraterrestrial anthropologist writing notes about your latest discovery. At best.

At worst you sound like this guy:

This post has been a public service announcement.
    Am .. am I being lectured on how to sound human by a pony? How is this even ...?

Ah, well. If the meatbags mistake me for human then I guess it's not really a problem.

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    ...actually, at least as I interpreted it, he mocked them acting that way. Now, possibly I misread it.
    He mocked it as "this normal thing that happens".
    That is mock-worthy but also this normal thing that does not even have to align with the rest of characterization. Yes, a Good party will behave like this towards their female member(s). (I also remember V's orbs incident)
    Like, it aligns with Belkar's characterization, but not actually anyone else's if we don't assume that it's a normal thing that literally everybody does...

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    But if in a work of fiction the women were never verbally, physically, and sexually assaulted/abused it would break verisimilitude because the real world just doesn't work that way.
    ^^^ shortcut to my point

470 is good, but I do think that the most recent stretch of strips is definitely more comparable to Roy v. Thog than 470. The composition of this fight has a similar scope to that fight, rather than the single-strip 470, and involves going against the character's most hated nemesis in a situation where everything appears to be completely stacked against you.

Not saying 470 isn't awesome. It is. Just not a pants-crappingly awesome hero moment like Roy vs. Thog. The 970s? That's Haley's pants-crappingly awesome hero moment right there.
    ^^^ also my point exactly
    ava by me
    Where the hell have you been?
    Yes, sadly.
    Proud founder of Crystal's fanclub!

Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome smilies here. Thank you, HeeJay and Fawkes!

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    See, the reason I don't have to post much is people like Liliet exist to express nearly everything I want or need to.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree that gymnastics scene was pretty weird. It goes against the characterization of several of the characters (including Haley herself giggling about her top falling off) but yeah, it's a really old strip and there isn't much that can be done about it now.

And I saw the joke less about "those guys are acting immature" and more about "they're all lusting after her and she doesn't even notice!" which isn't that funny to me because it's representative of some very dark real-world issues, but when I first read it, I just skipped to the next comic and didn't worry about it more. I think it's a good comparison though to show how far the comic has come.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

^^^ also my point exactly
    And a source of much frustration on my part. When you claim such a scene does not exist, one is then provided, but apparently its not good enough.

And for that matter, whats wrong with using your wits to solve a problem rather than your fists? Is Vaarsuvius suddenly a poor example for genderqueer characters because they have never thrown people five times their weight or more through a wall with their bare hands? And what about characters like Miko or Kazume, who have both had their moments? Do they not count because they aren't in the main cast?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    And a source of much frustration on my part. When you claim such a scene does not exist, one is then provided, but apparently its not good enough.

And for that matter, whats wrong with using your wits to solve a problem rather than your fists? Is Vaarsuvius suddenly a poor example for genderqueer characters because they have never thrown people five times their weight or more through a wall with their bare hands? And what about characters like Miko or Kazume, who have both had their moments? Do they not count because they aren't in the main cast?
    I don't quite understand. Lilliet hasn't said there is any problem with Haley using her wits rather than her fists, and actually referred to that encounter (via quote) as Haley's pants crappingly awesome hero moment or whatever. Agreed on Miko and Kazumi, though.

And I love the mental image of Vaarsuvius throwing Roy through a wall with some Elven wrestling technique. Preferably in a WWE arena.
    Order of the Stick Avatar done by the talented Kymme.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Half-Hamster template gives me advantageous size and ability score bonuses, and combos well with my inherited Elderberry Radiance (Ex). Which is more than I can say for you, you class-dipping CL-losing Evoker!
    I was eating THOSE BEANS!!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    And I love the mental image of Vaarsuvius throwing Roy through a wall with some Elven wrestling technique. Preferably in a WWE arena.
    Id pay to see that. Maybe next time Rich is bored he can doodle it for us.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #159
    Firbolg in the Playground

You see, there have been scenes with male characters being freaking awesome and badass solo. Like, the scenes that center specifically on their awesomeness on their own.

A good example which was not first brought up by me was Roy's arena fight with Thog.

There is only one female character who could have such a scene: Haley. It does not matter to me personally, as a girl, how high a percentage of male characters have got those scenes; what matters to me is, since that was established as a thing, I want a female character - who I, due to our shared gender, see as more or less a representation of me in the comic - to get one too.

At the time of that debate, she hadn't.
    It would seem that you bemoan the lack of scenes with Haley as a freaking awesome badass solo. Seriously?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Those are great individual strips. Nothing wrong with them. But they're not extended sequences of pants-crappingly awesome heroism where Haley uses her wits and her skills to best a nemesis. What we're seeing right now in the comic? That is. And if people were complaining that Haley needed to be bailed out, that undercuts her abilities as a hero and prevents her from being as pants-crappingly awesome a hero as we have been watching her be over the past several strips.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Well, no - it just means they're complaining.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Banned

But they're not extended sequences of pants-crappingly awesome heroism where Haley uses her wits and her skills to best a nemesis.
    That's a very specific list of elements. I count five:

1) The sequence must be extended over multiple strips;
    2) The sequence must be driven by a character's heroics;
    3) The heroics must include the use of wits;
    4) The heroics must include the use of skills;
    5) The heroics must culminate in the besting of a nemesis.

Why this specific list? Why, in particular, is the length of the sequence important? Why, if each element is so critical, did no one complain that any of Gwynfrid's example strips failed to include one or more of them at the time the strips were released?

Well, no - it just means they're complaining.
    Or it means their memory of earlier strips is poor, or it means they haven't read earlier strips at all, or it means they got so focused on the moment that they didn't bother to think back to earlier strips . . .
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2015-04-01 at 10:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Those are great individual strips. Nothing wrong with them. But they're not extended sequences of pants-crappingly awesome heroism where Haley uses her wits and her skills to best a nemesis. What we're seeing right now in the comic? That is. And if people were complaining that Haley needed to be bailed out, that undercuts her abilities as a hero and prevents her from being as pants-crappingly awesome a hero as we have been watching her be over the past several strips.
    If that is the standard to which we are holding it, then Roy is the only character who has gotten one. And you seem to be forgetting that a significant portion of that sequence was not Roy being an awesome hero so much as as Thog's workout equipment. And finally, Roy is the main character of the story, and Rich explicitly included that sequence to show that Roy's claims of being more than a meatshield with a giant weapon are true.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

and Rich explicitly included that sequence to show that Roy's claims of being more than a meatshield with a giant weapon are true.
    Also, Giant explicitly included the entire sequence because he wanted to write and draw a gladiator style combat.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Firbolg in the Playground

See Zimmerwald's and Keltest's replies above. I can only add this: Haley is portrayed consistently as every bit the action hero Roy is, actually more frequently so. There are the examples I showed, plus of course #470, plus the current sequence. She has more strips showcasing sheer skill than anybody else in the comic, and she routinely outsmarts every other major character. The only reason Roy is the main protagonist is that the story begins as his personal quest.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Hmm .. as far as being badass I would say Haley is more of a badass than Elan is. Elan has his dashing swordsman prestige class but he's wildly erratic, at turns incredibly competent and then laughable in the very next strip. He's also been held hostage at least once more than Haley has (back when Kubota gave Therkla the 'hero's choice').

By contrast, Haley is competent all the time. She's not always flashy but c'mon, she's a rogue. If a rogue is flashy or standing out , she's doing something wrong.

If I had to pick one person from OOTS to partner with on and adventure, and ONLY one, I'd take Haley. She's skillful all the time, unlike Elan. She's got common sense, unlike Vaarsuvius. And unlike Roy, she isn't excessively proud, she's much better than he at spotting cons, and she's willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. So as far as I'm concerned, she's a keeper, better than Roy in any situation except an actual hand-to-hand combat where raw power counts for more than anything.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I agree that gymnastics scene was pretty weird. It goes against the characterization of several of the characters (including Haley herself giggling about her top falling off) but yeah, it's a really old strip and there isn't much that can be done about it now.

And I saw the joke less about "those guys are acting immature" and more about "they're all lusting after her and she doesn't even notice!" which isn't that funny to me because it's representative of some very dark real-world issues, but when I first read it, I just skipped to the next comic and didn't worry about it more. I think it's a good comparison though to show how far the comic has come.
    ^^^yes

And now I see people arguing /against/ my point by citing examples that Haley is pants-crappingly awesome despite her class.

Let's rewind a bit to the argument that started this for me: people were explaining that Haley CANNOT beat this encounter alone because her class is just not suited for this, and her teammates interfering would be not just acceptable, but in fact necessary.

Apparently, for them, all the examples provided above that Haley is pants-crappingly awesome were not enough to be convinced that she could pull off a badass hero moment on her own.

Before that, I never complained that Haley didn't get her own badass moments. It never crossed my mind. However, when the strip started building up to one, and people came out of woodwork with arguments that she can't get one?
    Yeah, that made me think.
    ava by me
    Where the hell have you been?
    Yes, sadly.
    Proud founder of Crystal's fanclub!

Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome smilies here. Thank you, HeeJay and Fawkes!

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    See, the reason I don't have to post much is people like Liliet exist to express nearly everything I want or need to.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

^^^yes

And now I see people arguing /against/ my point by citing examples that Haley is pants-crappingly awesome despite her class.

Let's rewind a bit to the argument that started this for me: people were explaining that Haley CANNOT beat this encounter alone because her class is just not suited for this, and her teammates interfering would be not just acceptable, but in fact necessary.

Apparently, for them, all the examples provided above that Haley is pants-crappingly awesome were not enough to be convinced that she could pull off a badass hero moment on her own.

Before that, I never complained that Haley didn't get her own badass moments. It never crossed my mind. However, when the strip started building up to one, and people came out of woodwork with arguments that she can't get one?
    Okay i just want to put this out there on Haley vs Crystal Gnomeland edition.
    I at least could not see her brute forcing her way through crystal. Also the last panel of the previous strip looked like she was about to die in a couple rounds and I didn't think she could beat the grapple. I did think diplomacy or leading crystal to Bozzok was possible. but I thought Haley lost her chance and was going to die or be saved by the calvary and i did not think it farfetched or bad that her teammates would bail her out. Haley getting out on her own was preferable but i did not see her getting out by grappling and she was being choked so no diplomacy. But of course i forgot about the one factor that could get her out, i forgot about the knife.
    Is it so bad that i overlooked a factor? Is it so bad that I like Haley and don't want her to die if her party could save her? Is wanting her to be saved by her teammates really so bad if I thought she was going to die otherwise?
    Last edited by goodpeople25; 2015-04-02 at 09:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Liliet, that's a severe mischaracterization of the discussion.

Bulldog said "please don't damsel in distress this."
    Other people said "meh, teamwork, nobody expects the rogue to out-melee a cyborg killing machine, won't bother me."
    Other people (including myself) said "she doesn't need to out-melee it in order to win."
    The drones got distracted and haven't shown up yet.
    And then the thread went into its usual tailspin as everybody with a chip in that game started talking past each other, choosing to interpret each others' statements in lights that were never intended, and generally straw-manning each others' posts, etc etc ad nauseam infinitam. Just like always happens here.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ahdok View Post
    Let's use The Order of the Stick, because it's the thing that we're most familiar with, and let's shuffle Vaarsuvius over to one side just for economy of message.

Take the remaining five menbers of the Order. If, from day one, Rich had of written this story with Roy, Elan, Haley, Belkar and Durkon all having their genders swapped... what difference would it actually make? The story would have all the pronouns swapped, and some of the more gender-laden insults would need to be changed, and the small bit here or there would be a different... but other than that? What does it matter?

Are you genuinely willing to argue that, had Roy/Elan/Durkon/Belkar been female, and Haley been male, you as a reader would have found the strip alien or unintelligible or uncomfortable or weird or unfamiliar or unrelatable or (whatever word you want, pick yer poison)... to the extent that as a reader you'd have been alienated to the point of not reading it? Do you actually believe that?

Well... your loss. Imma go read Rat Queens now.

Alien, unintelligible, uncomfortable, weird, unfamiliar, unrelatable? No. Different, yes. OOTS started as the adventures of a standard-issue D&D party, complete with token female character (player). Swapping everyone's gender changes all of that, as much as making all-but-one of the party halflings, or gestalt paladins, or Tier 3 classes. OOTS-at-the-beginning was a (pretty accurate) representation of the standard D&D party at most tables. Most tables were pretty psyched to transition from 2E to 3E, or to come back to D&D with 3E. Most tables transitioned from 3E to 3.5 without much complaint (except from Belkar's player.) In 2015, that table is less representative, but probably still a plurality.

Making OOTS an Amazon party would have been moving away from the standard, and immediately raised the question "why"? In a way where not-answering would be interpreted as an answer.

Roy's blackness and V's androgyny didn't raise those questions immediately because of the early OOTS art style. Roy's blackness isn't expressed in anything but skin tone, since it's nearly impossible to express real-world race in RPGs without using racial and racist stereotypes, except through realistic art where you can tell Denzel Washington from Robert Redford without using color shading. (Just stating color isn't enough--no one codes ebony-skinned drow as "black".)

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Liliet, that's a severe mischaracterization of the discussion.

Bulldog said "please don't damsel in distress this."
    Other people said "meh, teamwork, nobody expects the rogue to out-melee a cyborg killing machine, won't bother me."
    Other people (including myself) said "she doesn't need to out-melee it in order to win."
    And then the thread went into its usual tailspin as everybody with a chip in that game started talking past each other, choosing to interpret each others' statements in lights that were never intended, and generally straw-manning each others' posts, etc etc ad nauseam infinitam. Just like always happens here.
    As a DM, I would have given Haley XP for staying alive and staying up long enough until she could lead Crystal to the "cavalry", and for drawing Crystal away from the civilians. Solo'ing Crystal through clever use of bluff and diplomacy (setting aside Bandana for now) is a bonus.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

If that is the standard to which we are holding it, then Roy is the only character who has gotten one. And you seem to be forgetting that a significant portion of that sequence was not Roy being an awesome hero so much as as Thog's workout equipment. And finally, Roy is the main character of the story, and Rich explicitly included that sequence to show that Roy's claims of being more than a meatshield with a giant weapon are true.
    Also, it's at least questionable whether Thog counts as Roy's nemesis.

It made you think...what, exactly?

Well, that lightning tank budget's gotta be justified somehow, and it's never going to fairly beat the drones to the scene....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

23. - Top - End - #173
    Banned

Not quite. Vaarsuvius v. Zz'dtri qualifies unless either 1) you believe Zz'dtri that it was Yukyuk who defeated him, not Vaarsuvius, or 2) you don't consider Vaarsuvius's use of her skills (as opposed to her wits, which is a separate element, and her snark, which is not an element at all) "pants-crappingly awesome." For what it's worth, we're not supposed to believe Zz'dtri, and awesomeness is subjective.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2015-04-02 at 02:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Weren't all the 'arguements' that she a) didn't need one, b) didn't detract from her character if she didn't get one, c) unlikely to be badass.

Frankly Haley's tactic is smart, in character, and delivered well - but it is not exactly badass.

I mean really can you see that Movie Action Hero/Heroine who is a legitimate ass kicker, is in the fight of his/her life and ... talks the enemy down, than walks with them back to their base and watches as they pick a fight with a (likely still) much stronger character.

I can still see this backfiring on Haley - which also does not detract from her getting out of the situation in the first place.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Not quite. Vaarsuvius v. Zz'dtri qualifies unless either 1) you believe Zz'dtri that it was Yukyuk who defeated him, not Vaarsuvius, or 2) you don't consider Vaarsuvius's use of her skills (as opposed to her wits, which is a separate element, and her snark, which is not an element at all) "pants-crappingly awesome." For what it's worth, we're not supposed to believe Zz'dtri, and awesomeness is subjective.
    I smirked a bit, but I felt that the awesomeness was undercut by V being punted to the Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing (as did V).

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Weren't all the 'arguements' that she a) didn't need one, b) didn't detract from her character if she didn't get one, c) unlikely to be badass.

Frankly Haley's tactic is smart, in character, and delivered well - but it is not exactly badass.

I mean really can you see that Movie Action Hero/Heroine who is a legitimate ass kicker, is in the fight of his/her life and ... talks the enemy down, than walks with them back to their base and watches as they pick a fight with a (likely still) much stronger character.

I can still see this backfiring on Haley - which also does not detract from her getting out of the situation in the first place.
    Harrison Ford's "The Fugitive", trying to convince Tommy Lee Jones of his innocence while, er, being a fugitive?

Luke Skywalker at the end of Return of the Jedi?

Convincing the implacable, powerful enemy that they should be squishing someone besides you is not THAT uncommon.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by johnbragg View Post
    Harrison Ford's "The Fugitive", trying to convince Tommy Lee Jones of his innocence while, er, being a fugitive?

Convincing the implacable, powerful enemy that they should be squishing someone besides you is not THAT uncommon.
    Not uncommon, sure, but I would hardly call Luke getting electrocuted a lot "badass".

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by johnbragg View Post

There is a difference between badass and awesome.

I am dubious as to whether begging your daddy to solve your problems counts as either (can easily I suppose count as one/both for your daddy).
    Luke's badass moment was actually defeating Vader.

Haley's moment here was awesome (thought I think she might come to regret her silent background gloating), it is not badass.

Now badass and awesome is subjective - so feel free to disagree.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post

I find it exceptionally badass. The hero uses her strengths against her opponent's weaknesses to win. With Roy it's literal strength, (or constitution, in his particular case, as he performed a Rocky rather than a Tyson,) With Vaarsuvius it's Intelligence, in figuring out the foe's plan and thwarting it, in Elan's it would be plain dumb luck, (otherwise known as dramatic timing,) and in Haley's it's her ability to fast talk her way out of anything.

Each of the characters is unique, and comes to any challenge from a unique perspective. To have them all face a challenge in the same way Roy would is not reasonable: each should fight with their best stat for the situation. Roy's Str was useless against Thog, so he went to his best stat for that fight: his Int. Haley's Dex score won't help much against a golem, so she went to her best stat for the situation: her Cha.

You don't always have to kill the monster to get the XP.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    True but it was as keltest said it was kinda a mutual defeat, and if you accept that, you could say haley getting crystal to the Calvary counts, though durkons death could count then.
    Last edited by goodpeople25; 2015-04-02 at 02:54 PM.