New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Hero Academy #2: Whodunit

A week has passed since the opening of the Hero Academy. A week of training in the gym, practicing in the danger deck (with reviews of the fights from Techno-Paladin), and occasionally patrolling.
    Other than that, not much has been happening. The Monster War is still raging in Africa ((will talk about it in the OOC thread some day. Mad Scientist using genetically manipulated beasts for military purpose, taking over a few countries)). In more local news, Brick's death has raised numerous speculations, but no-one seems to have figured out what has driven the supervillain to suicide.
    Techno-Paladin has warned you that an important lesson would be taking place today - but not with him. You're all at the academy's ground floor when you receive the holographic message he has left you:
    "I wish I could be present at the lesson myself, but alas, I am going to be busy today - old Doc Prometheus robots have been reappearing in Japan, and Titan is worried somebody's reverse-engineered the designs. I'm needed as tech expert - but let me assure you, the teacher who'll be coming today is one of the best individuals for the task. Expect to meet him at 9:00."
    It is 8:50.

HERO ACADEMY #2: wHODUNIT

Previous chapter
    OOC thread
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Hero Academy #2: Whodunit

Sekhmet has spent the past week or so in a fluster. Outdone in speed most likely only by Celerity, she has been zipping back and forth to get her things from home, to decorate her room, and to try and get comfortable in the Academy; all the while, she was also trying to keep up with the training schedule, meeting when ordered and working out in what little spare time she has. Now, a week after, while not physically exhausted, she is still somewhat mentally out of it. Wandering about the training room, she now finds herself nervous again. Dressed in a black shirt with a white eye painted on the front and a jacket that reads "Gold Digger" with an ankh around her neck, with simple jeans on to complete what could be called an "earthy" outfit.

"Sheesh, when're they gonna get here..."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Celerity wanders into the Academy's main room wearing a bath robe and brushing her long, blue-and-purple-streaked black hair with a brush of her own creation. Her body language, though it came across at a speed several hundred times faster than a regular human's, conveyed a sense of relaxation.

For Celerity, the last week had been a long time, but she had kept herself occupied. She mainly split her time between performing in the streets and parks, getting to know and train with her team-mates, and performing the occasional act of solo heroism (nothing too fancy, just getting people out of a burning building or to the hospital - everyday hazards of the city many heroes would forget about). She was starting to get settled for the first time since she'd gotten her powers - it was a big change.

Presently, though, little of this is evident as the super-heroine takes a seat and continues to super-speed-straighten her hair. "Heyy Sekhmet!" she beams at her team-mate. "How goes it?"
    Be bold, and powerful forces will come to your aid.

Darian Dawnstrider Avatar by Sampi

Quote Originally Posted by sun_tzu View Post
    KAPOW!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

After her talk with Techno-Paladin Star-Fist began to withdraw herself from other people. Aside from eating and scheduled training sessions Star-Fist claimed to spend her entire time mediating in a dark room with the doors locked. Star-Fist slowly walked out of her room wearing a black cloak that shaded her face and once again took up a chair away from everyone else not bothering to say good morning or any other greeting. “I just hope this day goes by fast I don’t have the energy today to do anything” thought Star-Fist with a body language telling everyone she didn’t feel like talking.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Powerhouse

Powerhouse seems to wander out into the mainroom where the others were, munching on what looked like a leftover piece of pizza. Over the past few days he had been trying to do drills and preparing himself for being the tentative leader of the merry band. However, this has caused him to sleep and eat much more than usual, and when he was sleepy or hungry t was quickly discovered that he was more than a little cranky

He continued to chew on the slice of pizza, wandering over towards the grouping of people and looking at the transmission as it repeated itself

"Great..."
    he muttered "I'll go get dressed" he said, before turning around. He wa wearing a set of plaid pajama bottoms and a white tee shirt, which looked completely out of character for him. He soon returned in his usual heroic attire, looking about, vaguely waiting for the new teacher to arrive as he continued to eat leftover pizza
    My Science Blog
    Current: Weight Loss: The Honest Truth

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sekhmet just rubs her forehead into her palms but smiles as she looks back up, it a cheerful look. Celerity had proven to be one of the few people with a personality as random and bubbly as her own, at least on a good day.

"Not too bad. Kinda tired though. Been fixing my room all week and my parents are so worried about me..." She pauses, then laughs softly and shakes her head "But yeah, just tired. Ping-pong?" She offers. She had managed to snake in the idea that the game was a great training exercise as it helped teach hand-eye coordination and built their reflexes, though few could compete with, let alone beat, Celerity.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Absolutely! Just gotta change and eat!"

It is sooner done than said, of course. In the space of a few seconds, Celerity runs up to her room, changes into her costume, pours herself some cereal, eats, cleans the bowl, and leaves a small smiley face button in front of Star-Fist (merely the latest volley in her campaign to cheer up the martial artist) . Then, with a wave of her hand, a ping-pong table, paddles and ball materialize.

"So what do you think this is about?" Celerity asks as she takes her place at one side of the table.

KAPOW!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sekhmet just shrugs and picks up her paddle, swinging it in her paw momentarily.

"How should I know? I've been too busy this past week to care..."

And, with that comment, she moves across the table, picks up the ball, and serves.

9. - Top - End - #9

((Feel free to interact some more - if possible, I'd like to wait until everybody's posted at least once before I introduce the day's teacher.))

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

10. - Top - End - #10

FX staggers down the stairs. "If I ever find out who invented mornings, I am very tempted to introduce him to the event horizon of a black hole." *YAWN* "I'm making tea. If anyone else wants some............make your own." FX staggers off to the kitchen to do his personal impression of the Boston Tea Party.

11. - Top - End - #11

((Not sure when Psynapse's player will be able to post again, but until he does, I'll be NPCing the character, I guess.))

A few more minutes pass, until...
    "Attention!"
    The shout, with a hint of an accent, certainly gets yours. The man who enters the academy, despite being dressed like a superhero, gives you a vibe closer to that of a drill sergeant. That sort of makes sense - he is, after all, Bleu-Blanc-Rouge. One of the greatest martial artists in the world, the Global Champions' tactical expert, Operation Synapse's head field officer, the French army's most well-known super-soldier...And, apparently, your teacher for today.

((And thus, the second Global Champion your characters meet. He won't show up as often as Techno-Paladin, but...))

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Powerhouse

Powerhouse had only just moments before wandered back into the room and was zipping up his coat when the new teacher had come in

"Great"
    he said looking over towards FX "Just what we need, a military man" he said shaking his head, it became clear that Powerhouse was not going to be a big fan of Bleu-Blanc-Rogue, but then, as it became clear to his teammates, he didn't particularly like anyone who was new.

Powerhouse sauntered over sluggishly towards the Frenchman

"So you're the sub then?"
    he said, feeling taller now than he had before
    My Science Blog

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_the_Rogue View Post
    Powerhouse

Powerhouse had only just moments before wandered back into the room and was zipping up his coat when the new teacher had come in

"Great"
    he said looking over towards FX "Just what we need, a military man" he said shaking his head, it became clear that Powerhouse was not going to be a big fan of Bleu-Blanc-Rogue, but then, as it became clear to his teammates, he didn't particularly like anyone who was new.

Powerhouse sauntered over sluggishly towards the Frenchman

"So you're the sub then?"
    he said, feeling taller now than he had before
    "Positive. Techno-Paladin has informed that you were the group's temporary leader."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Powerhouse

"Yessir"
    said Powerhouse looking back towards the rest of the group

"My handle is Powerhouse, or just Tom if you prefer"
    he said looking back, motioning towards the rest in turn "That's FX, Skehmet, Celerity, Starfist and Psynapse" he said with a nod to each, before looking back towards BBR

"So what is on the course schedule today then?"
    he asked, arms beginning to fold in a defensive position
    My Science Blog

15. - Top - End - #15

FX wanders back from the kitchen with a fully tricked out tea service. Contrary to the rules of etiquette, he then sets up a TV tray right in front of his seat and places it on that. He then proceeds to make people who take military basic training look like slow eaters. Somewhere out of the flying crumbs and flailing arms emerges a question. "So, what's on the agenda for today, Professeur Provisoire?" FX, it appears, has no problems speaking French while demolishing an English-style tea.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Speaking of Psynapse, I forgot to mention that in between Champion Tutorial and now, Celerity gave him a crystal that she suggested he use to focus his telepathy, an idea she got from a mentalist performer at her circus.
    Oh, and she filled out the paper work or whatever to access her FBSA stipend, possibly with TP or FX's help, but doesn't have an idea about what she'll do with it XD ))

Celerity stands at attention when the French super-soldier enters the room. "Sir I'm the Amazing Celerity sir!" She attempts to stand at attention until he gives permission, a cascade of random objects appearing out of nowhere and then fading into nothing while she tries to stand still.

KAPOW!

17. - Top - End - #17

Speaking of Psynapse, I forgot to mention that in between Champion Tutorial and now, Celerity gave him a crystal that she suggested he use to focus his telepathy, an idea she got from a mentalist performer at her circus.
    ((Just for the record, that so wouldn't work. Crystals are just as much bunk in the setting as in the real world.))

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

With a loud cracking sound, Celerity suddenly moving leaves an opening Sekhmet had not expected, the ping-pong ball flying across the room, but its low mass keeps it from doing any damage. Placing the paddle back with the table, Sekhmet wanders over to see the new teacher, giving a two fingered, half-hearted salute as she examines the man before them all.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Just for the record, that so wouldn't work. Crystals are just as much bunk in the setting as in the real world.))
    ((I figured, but in Psynapse's case at least it might provide a useful psychological focus.))

KAPOW!

20. - Top - End - #20

Bleu-Blanc-Rouge stands, holding his hands behind his back. "I've seen videos of your fights in the danger deck. The basics are there, but there remains plenty of room for improvement.
    Techno-Paladin has already explained to you the rock-paper-scissors principle. The subject of today's lesson will be how to make the best of your ressources. We will begin with a quick discussion of the subject, follow with a special excercize in the danger deck, and conclude with a patrol of the city. I would have preffered to follow with a true combat operation such as your fight with the mafia last week, but it proved impossible to plan, given my schedule."

((If you're wondering about his schedule, well...He's working with the Global Champions to defend the entire world, he's field officer in Operation Synapse trying to contain the Combat Network, and he's part of the military. So, yeah, it took Techno-Paladin some work to get his help with this.
    And in case you're wondering about the adventure...Let's just say that Bleu-Blanc-Rouge's lesson will only be the first part of this chapter ))
    Last edited by sun_tzu; 2007-06-14 at 07:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sekhmet just tilts her head curiously and is about to give a smart-ass remark when she wisely shuts up. She eventually finally asks the question on her mind:

"How do you know we're actually gonna find anything on patrol?" She asks, waiting for that to be answered before asking anything else she has running through her mind.

22. - Top - End - #22

"We don't. That's part of the definition of a patrol. Otherwise, it would be an interception mission. That said, odds of encountering criminal operation during a patrol of the city have been estimated to be as high as 40%, given that we will be reaching areas where the regular police is afraid to go. Odds of superhuman criminal activity, 6%."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sekhmet, realizing she is going to say another bad joke, bites her tongue to avoid saying something and then winces, her tongue now bleeding. Having fangs is still apparently taking some getting used to.

"Ah... Thankth... I nee' ta go ge' a tithoo."

And, with that said, she wanders off towards the bathroom to grab a tissue to put under her mouth, leaning forward at the moment and holding her chin up with her paw underneath it to catch the blood currently dripping down it. She returns swiftly holding the tissue under her mouth, casting a glance to the others.

"Firtht one to thay ca' go' your thung taketh a ki' oo tha gwoin." She warns.
    Last edited by Axelgear; 2007-06-16 at 05:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Celerity takes a seat, manifests her notepad and begins to jot down notes, heading the page "MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR RESOURCES with Bleu-Blanc-Rouge"

Sekhmet, realizing she is going to say another bad joke, bites her tongue to avoid saying something and then winces, her tongue now bleeding. Having fangs is still apparently taking some getting used to.

"Ah... Thankth... I nee' ta go ge' a tithoo."

And, with that said, she wanders off towards the bathroom to grab a tissue to put under her mouth, leaning forward at the moment and holding her chin up with her paw underneath it to catch the blood currently dripping down it. She returns swiftly holding the tissue under her mouth, casting a glance to the others.

"Firtht one to thay ca' go' your thung taketh a ki' oo tha gwoin." She warns.

Celerity winces.

Apropos of nothing, she causes a lollipop to appear inside the sleeve of Star-Fist's cloak.

KAPOW!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Powerhouse

Powerhouse looks back towards both Celerity and Skehmet and shakes his head, covered his face with his hand as he does so before sighing

"And people wonder why I'm gruff"
    he said with himself looking over towards Skehment before sighing again, looking towards the substitute

"So we're to have a lecture, a recitation, and then a field-lab...I feel like
    I'm back in college, let's here the grand speech then
    " he said wandering over to one of the desks to sit down
    My Science Blog

26. - Top - End - #26

FX finishes polishing off the massive breakfast tray. He glances at Sekhmet,"Have to spoil all my fun, doncha?" He then settles in for what appears to be a very long lecture. Out comes the PDA as he checks this morning's financials. Hmmm. That film studio isn't doing so hot. Good. That means I can grab more of it at discount prices...

27. - Top - End - #27

As Star-Fist quizzically checks her cloak, Bleu-Blanc-Rouge goes into lecture mode.
    "Stronger than a locomotive. Faster than a speeding bullet. Skilled enough to fight entire squads. Telekinetic juggernaut. Armed with devices a decade ahead of their era. Wielding powers beyond the ken of mortals.
    Your group certainly isn't lacking in abilities.
    But it's not enough. More powerful heroes than you have fallen and keep falling every day to the forces of crime, terror, chaos and general villainy the world over. The life expectancy of a superhero is shorter than the population's average by over a decade. To survive, to win, it is not enough to have power. You will have to use your power, and everything else at your disposal, in the best possible way.
    Celerity, I believe your own first-hand experience is relevant here. You were in Megalopolis during Shadow's attempted takeover about a month ago. You were working with the Zenith Watch during the crisis. Remember your fight against Jack of all Trades - a single villain, with no powers beyond enhanced agility and combat skills, managed to succesfully hold his own against six medium-level superheroes, and two street-levelers.

((He's referring to an incident that was all over the news about a month ago - Omnicorp, the colossally rich and powerful mega-corporations that had built Megalopolis, had captured 99% of the city's heroes and announced it was having Megalopolis secceed from the USA. It used a Cryosphere-style cold generator to turn the city into an arctic area, let all the villains in the city jail out, and had armed patrols going through the streets with help from the supervillains of Global Might. The Zenith Watch, some of the only superheroes who hadn't been captured, managed to get some help, free the mayor, and rescue Omnicorp's CEO, George Li - apparently, the whole seccession thing was the work of a doppelganger, working for the criminal organization "Shadow". Shadow were trying to make it look like Omnicorp had gone rogue, so that its board members would be arrested - except for the one providing the FBI with (forged) evidence, who would then take control of the company (and was - guess what - an agent of Shadow). The Zenith Watch and its allies then managed to find Shadow's local base and storm it in a particularly epic battle.
    Jack of all Trades (whom I believe I've mentionned in the OOC thread) is a member of Global Might, a group comprised of ten members - all of them among the world's greatest villains. Jack's abilities come from a chip in his brain that gives him enhanced combat abilities, and allows him to copy other people's moves, ŕ la Taskmaster.
    Oh, and "street-leveler" is a term commonly used to refer to low-PL superheroes and villains.))

"Any of you, and for that matter all of you, are liable to one day encounter a situation where your powers won't be enough; situations where you'll be out-powered. Which is why you're going to need to make the best of what you have. That means using your powers efficiently. Using your skills efficiently. Using your data efficiently. Using your team efficiently. Last but not least - use the environment efficiently."

((Sorry for not responding in several days - I defended my master's thesis yesterday, so, as you can imagine, I've been rather busy.))

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sekhmet sits and waits patiently through this lecture, eventually raising her hand, curious if she can ask a question.

29. - Top - End - #29

"Stronger than a locomotive. Faster than a speeding bullet. Skilled enough to fight entire squads. Telekinetic juggernaut. Armed with devices a decade ahead of their era. Wielding powers beyond the ken of mortals.
    FX snickers. "But enough about me, let's talk about someone else. Heh-heh."

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Axelgear View Post
    Sekhmet sits and waits patiently through this lecture, eventually raising her hand, curious if she can ask a question.
    "What is it?" the Global Champion pauses.