New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Treasure Map (IC)

In the years gone by, The Park Avenue Inn was a small but very romantic dining spot in Wilverton with a long clientele list and even longer waiting list...but now it was just another adventurers watering hole where groups formed and reformed, looking for the next big score, probably enough to get out of Wilverton. Your group is one of 4 in the Inn right now, studiously avoiding eye contact with each other lest it be seen as challenge. Separate from all, with his chair tilted against a post is an "Imperial Guardsman", a half-orc, which marked him as the lowest tier and thereby most corrupt. Mouton had no humans in his guardsman ranks, it was all half-orcs, orcs, half-ogres, ogres...and rumours of even worse inside the castle walls.
    Having just finished a small mission, Varin has gathered the group together and spread out on the table is what appears to be a map of some kind, the final room on the map contains a few notes on contents, mostly words like gold, gems, and sword
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2021-08-05 at 04:38 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Treasure Map (IC)

Varin tries to act as casually as he can while he spreads the map, in the hopes of not drawing too much attention from the other individuals not sitting at this table. The last thing he needed was other parties desperately trying to snatch a possible treasure, or "the law" butting in. Leaning in, one hand holding a tankard of bad ale (any quality long, long washed away in this "establishment"), he sighs, a rough hand going through his hair, as he once again confirms to himself that he really is going with this course of action.

"Came across this since our last delve," Varin says quietly through his full beard as he shows the treasure map. "It's a long shot, I know. But from what I can tell, it might be as genuine as a map like this can be." He takes a swig from his tankard, face scrunching together around the nose. Why does he even order this stuff. "Look. With what we're getting out of what we've been doing, we'll get eaten by monsters while hunting for scraps. This might be the only real chance to get out of this place. At least it's a better chance to find something than raiding whatever monster burrows and overgrown ruins we come across."

The hunter looks to the others. Dark rings under his eyes, hunched over the table and map in his well-worn gear. "I can probably find the place. But I need people I can trust. And who're crazy enough to go on this treasure hunt. So we maybe can finally get out of this gods-forsaken hellhole."

Varin has never been the one to ask for a recruitment speech. He can only hope it will suffice. Gods know he has run out of alternatives.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Iradak glances at the map and comments:

Always love to see the optimistic maps. It talks about treasure, but not about complications.

Oh well, this should be fun. Tell us about the map, Varin!

He takes a bite of whatever is decent fare for eating at this establishment. The alcohol is probably as cheap as they can possibly afford, and watered down besides. Many people don't care about what they're drinking as long as it's alcoholic and can generate a buzz, but food is a different matter. If people can't eat okay, they won't come in long enough to get properly drunk.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Kevan

Kevan leaned back in the chair running a hand through his long thick hair and looking around with sadness at the decline evident in the Park Avenue inn, a change synonymous with the collapse of all levels of Wilverton.

Sparing a glance at the corrupt guardsman he leans in, “Aye Varin, treasure good, a really big score etc…, is all very well but where did you get this map?
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Resisting the urge to mess with the orcish guardsman takes all of her will power, even if it would likely win her over a ton of new friends at the bar. It took her awhile to come to this conclusion, which is why it's with a sharp abruptness that a green head with black hair pops up over the rim of the table with a razor sharp, toothy grin.

"Hiya fellas," the friendly goblin Rattete beams before she scrambles up onto the table and crosses her legs to have a seat, "We huntin' fer treasures? How many other goons know about it? Should we be talking about it in the open?"
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2021-08-06 at 08:38 AM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

6. - Top - End - #6

HalflingRangerGuy

Corym watches mostly in silence, but asks in hushed tones to his owl familiar, on his shoulder, using the exclusive language given by their bond.

"Bubo, dear, keep an eye around for trouble for the both of us, while I study this map closely."

The grey elf sits uneasy in this inn. Not one for luxury, he minds being around filth, specially while eating or drinking. He would rather be in a nicer place or in the wild, where you can get dirt and mud and twigs or leaves, but can mostly stay away from body odours and fluids. Nevertheless, the map draws his attention and takes his mind away from the sticky tables and filthy cups.

Upon Varin's remark about the adventure, Corym speaks in a soft, measured tone:

"I'll be right by your side..." - After a little pause, he smiles - "Maybe a couple steps behind you, actually."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps in response to Ratette's actions and words or perhaps its just co-incidence, the half-orc tips his chair back up and then walks over to the bar. Not even waiting for the bartender, he draws himself a full mug of frothy beer, along with picking up a bottle of whiskey and taking a straight swig from it. Sipping at the beer, he surveys the room. While the gaurdsmen are known to among the dimmer bulbs out there, they have a nose for gold and an appetite for graft.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Kevan

Kevan leans forward and moves his chair slightly to block the view of the corrupt guard to Varin and the map. "As our little green friend says, maybe caution would be wise my young friend." He grins, "You know you have my sword and lance ever ready to help you, where is the initial start for this foray? That is all we need to know now and we can go through things in more detail when we are safely in the wilderness with naught by foul beasts and brigands to listen to our words."

He smiles widely to show he is joking and takes a long sip of the ale with a slightly disappointed expressions, "I do believe this used to be far better you know.." he mutters eying the guard as he views the sigils of the new Lords of Wilverton.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Having his companions' support, does bring a smile to his face. Hard to see, but they can spot it in the wrinkles around his eyes and Varin's beard lifting in just the right places.

"Good to hear. Quite literally found it on my rounds. And yeah. Should take this elsewhere." It is clear what he says about where he found the map is not everything he has to say about it, but he is quite inclined to wrap things up in this place. Having shown the map, the details should be discussed elsewhere. Away from... the many, many people might eavesdrop, watch, or worse. Whatever made Varin pick this out of all places to break out the map.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I... quite literally cannot answer any questions about the map, so posting and actually reacting to people is quite awkward right now. I got information about where Varin got the map, but so far nothing about the actual contents.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2021-08-07 at 05:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingRangerGuy

Corym wipes his hands on any available piece of cloth and straightens up, seeing that his companions are worried about something else.

He looks again at the map and tries to commit as much of it to his memory, while getting ready to leave ASAP.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    Having his companions' support, does bring a smile to his face. Hard to see, but they can spot it in the wrinkles around his eyes and Varin's beard lifting in just the right places.

"Good to hear. Quite literally found it on my rounds. And yeah. Should take this elsewhere." It is clear what he says about where he found the map is not everything he has to say about it, but he is quite inclined to wrap things up in this place. Having shown the map, the details should be discussed elsewhere. Away from... the many, many people might eavesdrop, watch, or worse. Whatever made Varin pick this out of all places to break out the map.

Show
    I... quite literally cannot answer any questions about the map, so posting and actually reacting to people is quite awkward right now. I got information about where Varin got the map, but so far nothing about the actual contents.
    The map starts in the city and since you grew up here, you would have no problem figuring out where the "starting spot" is being shown. From there, since this is a texted based game. its a case of going 1 mile north and turn right at the big granite rock, east for another mile, etc. You just have to start...

Quote Originally Posted by amanamana View Post
    Corym wipes his hands on any available piece of cloth and straightens up, seeing that his companions are worried about something else.

He looks again at the map and tries to commit as much of it to his memory, while getting ready to leave ASAP.
    The half-orc is not looking at your group specifically, he's looking at everyone in general
    #GoreMutualarejerks

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Ratette crawls over to the map, her bulbous yellow eyes darting over it from start to finish and back again.

"Either bardy sings us a distraction or I could just attack the guard, make myself a target, and scram, double back, and meet y'all someplace..." she offers, keeping her voice low, in a whisper and not looking up from what she's doing. Knowing her, though, she's probably *dead serious* about her offer.

Spoiler: ooc/rolls
    Show

(1d20+4)[17]
    (1d20+3)[10]

A kn: geography check as well as a flat intelligence check for her to try to memorize the map, generally speaking.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Putting the map away, Varin casually leaves the inn. And by casually, I mean with the usual warranted wariness of his surroundings, especially the people. Once out of the establishment, he pulls his cloak closer and does not directly go to the starting point, rather adding a few small detours, checking whether they are being followed. It would not be the first time, and it has happened for lesser things. Once it seems as safe as it can be in a place like Wilverton (and without people nearby), Varin tells the group in a quiet voice:

"I found the map in an abandoned part of Castle Wilverton. The tyrant and his minions don't care much for reading and the like, so I sometimes go there. Peace and quiet in the ruins. Found the map in a book on hill giants. Seemed like a rare opportunity. I hope the book's subject isn't also a hint of the dangers we might come across."

Nothing else to do but to start following the map, should his dear companions still be willing.

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingRangerGuy

Like many times in the last few years, Corym follows Varin closely. As the group leaves the inn and takes to the streets, the elf whispers to his owl familiar.

"Bubo, love, be our eyes in the sky, will you? Stay well over the rooftops, so no one can surprise you, and look for people following us. If you see trouble, come back to me. Even if you can't come back in time, our empathic bond will allow me to know there's danger, but I'd rather have you close."

That being said, the owl takes to the air.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I don't know if it's daytime or if we were having dinner. I'll roll without the bonus. If it was night, though, there +8 there.
    Spot for the owl:
    (1d20+6)[17] - probably +8

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Kevan

Heavily laden by armour and weapons the knight in training follows the others and then nods at Varin. “if it’s been missed by those scum all the better for us, give me by a moment to saddle my horse abs then we can start following this mysterious map of yours.”

Smiling to himself and humming softly he pops into the stable to fetch his laden horse and starts to lead it, walking with the others (assuming the map takes them out of town)

16. - Top - End - #16

Well, if this is the last good meal I'll have for a while, I'm going to finish it.

Iradak eats the last couple bites of whatever he was eating.

Good enough. We can talk outside. Does it make sense to leave right now, or are there any preparations to make, first? Might make sense to leave bright and early tomorrow morning.

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20)[7]
    Listen check: (1d20+8)[15]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Having committed to the map and its promise, the group leaves the Inn by a circuitous path to the "starting" point...if the half-orc was intent on following them, he's either really good at staying hidden or they have given him the slip. The group arrives, not entirely surprised that there is already some other half-orcs there and given that they were probably expecting their leader to back them up, they sprang their trap too early and are now spread out and caught off guard. At the moment, there are 5 half-orcs, one to the right of the group, a main group of 3 in the middle and one to the left. All 3 groups are about 30 feet away from the group (and if their suspicions are correct, there will be a 6th showing up from behind in a moment).

Show
    Post your action in your surprise round, and then post an initiative roll that will take effect for the first round out of surprise
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #18

Iradak will start.

Initiative roll: (1d20+4)[19]

And in the Surprise Round, all he'll do is activate his Inspire Courage ability. You have probably made a bad choice this day, but if you want to run, you still might get away!

Every ally gets a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage, as well as +2 on saving throws vs Charm and Fear effects.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Better leave now. Map's putting a target on our backs," Varin answers, and quickly enough, his assumption is confirmed by the bunch of imbeciles with too much muscle and too little brain.

Breathing out heavily through his nose, Varin draws his guisarme, getting into a stable stance. "Suggest you turn 'round and leave. Play stupid games and you'll win stupid prizes," the hunter informs the half-orcs. Not that they will listen. They never listen.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Varin draws his guisarme. He has 10ft reach with it out and Combat Reflexes. He also threatens within 5ft due to his spiked gauntlets.

Initiative (1d20+3)[19]

20. - Top - End - #20

HalflingRangerGuy

Corym deftly reaches inside his spell component pouch for a bit of pork rind and concentrates, getting ready to cast a Grease spell on the main group of three half-orcs in the middle, if they start the hostilities. Not being convinced yet that deadly force is the only way out, he will put a hold on more destructive tactics.

Show
    Action on surprise round: Ready an action to cast a Grease spell (saving throw: Reflexes 17) on the 3 orcs close to each other in the middle if any of the adversaries starts moving against the party.

Initiative after readied action: (1d20+4)[10]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Kevan

Sir Kevan looks at the orcs and mutters a curse under his breath. Mounting the horse he looks at them at all with disdain. Step back, we want no trouble here.”

Show

Init 12 in OOC

Action: mount the horse

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Ratette apparently does want trouble.

As soon as the orcs show up in view she literally dives into the surrounding foliage, drawing both bow and arrow, prepared to run out and start skirmishing at the first Orc who so much as swears a naughty word at her party.

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

Hide: (1d20+15)[31]
    Move silently: (1d20+15)[20]

Holding an attack.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

The half-orcs begin to close the circle on the party, choosing to remain just outside of the range of Valin's guisarme but definitely showing that they mean business.
    No one gets hurt if you just hand over the map, and dont bother to deny it, Jessop already told us you had one. We can do this easy or hard

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Iradek, Valin, half-orcs, Kevan, Corwyn, Ralette
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"My map. Hard way." Varin steps forward with sudden swiftness, putting himself between the half-orcs and Corym, bringing down his guisarme on one of the thugs while keeping more at bay. They need the map and he has no illusions about what the thugs would do to them. The usual nerves just the moment before violence begins are felt less so than usual. A phenomenon he has learned to attribute to Iradak.

Show
    Move Action Move to cover his allies with his reach (at the very least Corym), while having one half-orc at 10ft distance. Having a thug at less distance is not acceptable.

Standard Action Attack one of the thugs in reach
    (1d20+10)[18], (2d4+8)[13] damage. Since the attack will always do at least 10 damage on hit, it will trigger Knock-Down, giving Varin a free trip attempt against the half-orc (does not provoke an AoO due to Improved Trip). Because the AoO is triggered by the attempt to move out of , a tripped enemy
    Trip strength check (1d20+8)[16] vs the target's Strength or Dexterity check (whichever has the higher modifier).
    In case Varin loses and the half-orc trips back: (1d20+8)[28]. If Varin also loses that check, he drops his guisarme instead of letting himself be tripped.

If Varin manages to trip the half-orc, he gets a free attack against the half-orc due to Improved Trip.
    (1d20+10)[15], (2d4+8)[15] damage.

Out of turn Varin will make AoOs against any enemy trying to move through/out of his reach (Varin also threatens within 5ft with his spiked gauntlet). He can make up to 4 AoOs per round. On a hit with his guisarme, he will always do at least 10 damage and thus trigger Knock-Down for a trip attempt. See above for the decision tree on those.

OOC: In hindsight, I am not sure why I decided to go for a reach trip character to protect the party in a game without tactical positioning. I guess I can at least make it harder for enemies to approach Varin and his map?
    Last edited by Ridai; 2021-08-16 at 10:24 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

You seem to have forgotten the third option. We keep the map. Your survivors limp away after deciding that this wasn't a good plan. Jessop KNOWS that you have no chance. Why else do you think he's not here helping? He's sending you in to figure out exactly how bad the "attack us" idea is.

Show
    Iradak will use his standard action to maintain Inspire Courage, and slip in his suggestions that the attackers may be making a poor choice.

This is still providing a +2 bonus to attack and damage for the entire party (which Varin took into account), and will continue to do so for 10 rounds after he stops inspiring.

As a move action, he'll shake his sling out and get it ready to load.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

As the too-talls threaten and strike at one another, the hidden goblin bides her time and ultimately springs out of the bushes in a flash, zig-zagging around the brush until she's just within range of an orc and lets fly a blue feathered arrow.

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

(1d20+11)[31] Attack

(1d4+4)[6] Damage (1d6)[5] skirmish

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingRangerGuy

After the Grease spell, Corym moves to a safer spot, behind Varin's defensive line, as he did so many times before. Concentrating on the arcane energy that is stored in his mind as his prepared spells, he reaches with his right hand and manifests a burst of fire over some of the enemies, burning as many as he can fit inside the reduced area of his Fiery Burst.

Show
    Move action: Step back to a safer spot, preferably outside the reach of eventual charging enemies.

Standard action: Use his Fiery Burst reserve feat to fit as many enemies as possible in the 5' area (basically four squares).

Damage: (3d6)[4] (Reflexes 19 for half damage).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Kevan

As the corrupt guards move in Sir Kevan rears up on the horse, hooves flailing and ploughs into the orcs that threaten Varin, as the horse moves forward he draws the massive 5ft long greatsword and rises up in the saddle swing down hard on the nearest of the attackers as the hors kicks and stamps around him.

Show

Ride check to fight with horse DC 10 (1d20+6)[23]
    - Move and attack nearest orc threatening Varin
    - Horse (1d20+6)[12] dam (1d6+4)[8]

Sir Kevan - draw greatsword and strike down on the guard
    - (1d20+7)[23] dam (2d6+4)[6]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

As the battle begins, the 3 half orcs in the middle slip on the magical grease and fall in a undignified bunch. Iradek continues with his attempts to inspire the party while Valin connects with a half orc, already on the ground, drawing blood. The last two half orcs close to range on Sir Kevan, which might not be a good thing for him as he gets hit with his greatsword for his trouble, and Iradek, who is missed in the attack. Corym unleashes a fiery burst on the downed half-orcs, who are now getting really pissed at the course of events, and then Ralette nails the hal-orc menacing Iradek

ROUND TWO
    One half-orc on Kevan, one half-orc on Iradek, 3 half-orcs prone in front of Valin, Coryn and Iradek (all orcs minimally damaged)
    #GoreMutualarejerks

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Too many fronts, Varin can't be everywhere at once, so he tries to keep the majority of the thugs under control. He mercilessly brings down his guisarme on the already wounded half-orc, just trying to whittle down their numbers. Quick glances are cast about in between attacks, following the flow of the fight, and keep track of where he may need to step in.

Show
    If necessary, make a 5ft step to get all three half-orcs into the guisarme's 10ft reach, not 5ft in front of Varin.

Standard Action Attack one of the thugs in reach
    (1d20+10)[21] (enemy takes -4 to AC due to being prone), (2d4+8)[16] damage

Out of turn Varin will make AoOs against any enemy trying to move through/out of his reach or trying to stand up (Varin also threatens within 5ft with his spiked gauntlet). He can make up to 4 AoOs per round. On a hit with his guisarme, he will always do at least 10 damage and thus trigger Knock-Down for a trip attempt. See the decision tree on his first turn.