New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: About selling your soul

Whatever mortal can possibly invent, Baatezu are already familiar with. They exist for much longer time and are way smarter and more vile. I am sure that they do expect literally anything.

And they will do their best to not be tricked by mortal, because if they do, they will face punishment so horrid that we can't even imagine it. Its their safety and not just losing mortal's soul to another devil.
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2024-03-19 at 12:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think devils are overestimated. Not all devils are millennia old, and even those, are limited by their Intelligence scores and skill ranks. They can be superated, they don't gain a +1 to their checks every 100 years or anything similar.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Samael Morgenst View Post
    I think devils are overestimated. Not all devils are millennia old, and even those, are limited by their Intelligence scores and skill ranks. They can be superated, they don't gain a +1 to their checks every 100 years or anything similar.
    Not all devils are out there making deals either.

Ice devils for example, are seen explicitly as a dead end promotion, because they kinda suck at making deals due to bad mental ability scores. This is stated directly in fc2

Also, considering that every devil (aside from erinyes) started off as a lowly lemure for centuries before they got promoted to a higher form, even the lowliest of intelligent devils are AT LEAST centuries, and anything above an imp is probably AT LEAST a millennia old
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

And how many books of infernal jurisprudence does a lemure reads through those centuries?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

And how many books of infernal jurisprudence does a lemure reads through those centuries?
    They don't really have to - they're beings of pure Law and Evil; that's halfway to a law degree already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EliDupree View Post
    This sounds like a great idea!*

*...for the backstory of a guy whose body and soul have now been torn into eight pieces and each piece mounted at the gate to a different circle of Hell, all individually screaming for eternity, as an example to all those who would try to cheat the devils of their due.
    That is an awesome idea. . . and sounds like the probable long term consequence of this strategy.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Well,
    As a GM I have a simple solution to all this.....once the deal is signed, I lean over my GM Screen. Pick up the character sheet and say "My, this makes a great NPC now doesn't it."

When I GM I have a rule that the characters should be striving to be hero's, not villains or Soul-Lawyers.
    I have two players that like to be on the edge of that and I periodically reign them in their behavior with "Are you sure this is in your long term interest to alienate the god of the priest that heals you?"
    Amazing what behavior changes can occur when "Bless", "Cure" and other buffs stop working on a character.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Another idea.

Could the harvester devil be persuaded to add a clause forbidding him or his associates from causing any harm to the client, directly or indirectly?
    They'd only consider that if the client and associates were also forbidden to do the same to them.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    They'd only consider that if the client and associates were also forbidden to do the same to them.
    Also, that's just begging for a non-associated devil to show up and do harm "coincidentally".

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've another few questions about the pratice of selling the soul as described in Fiendish Codex 2: Tyrant of the Nine Hells.
    Since I've been repeatedly requested to not open different topics for similar question, I'll write it there.

1. What happens if a soul seller becomes undead or immortal (Cloud Anchorite, Starmetal Adept, repeated use of Steal Life), therefore not dying, not becoming damned? Personally I guess the harvester devil would become increasingly frantic about murdering the contractor.

2. In this situation, would regular sentient sacrifices / offerings of wealth appease temporarily the harvester devil?

3. Could a harvester devil be persuaded to pass a percentage of the XP reward usually offered for a Pact Certain to a cult master for each cultist he manages to successfully convert?

- example: the cult master contacts an harvester devil (a Falxugon) working under Mephistophele. Why specifically the Lord of the Eight?

Until recently, the subtle, fi ery
    Mephistopheles operated cults for Asmodeus as part of his
    vassalage to the greatest of the archdukes. Now Mephistopheles is slowly relinquishing these subcontracted duties to
    build a peculiar cult of his own that promises its members
    control of hellfi re—a relatively new magical substance of his
    design. This sect, which does not restrict its membership to
    lawful evil adherents
    , has hidden cult aspects because it’s as
    much a soul-harvesting operation as a means of entrenching
    diabolical power in the Material Plane.
    Because it seems the most likely to accept working with external contractors.

According to the Fiendish Codex, harvester devils are autorized to offer a certain amount of experience for the soul of a mortal (600 xp for a Pact Certain with a level 1 character).

The cult master makes this proposal: I convert cultists to Mephistophele, once they die - either in battle, on the sacrificial altar or in any other way - you get the merit for the soul and I get a share of that spiritual energy you would have otherwise offered for them (in game terms, 60 xp or something similar).

4. Excerpt from the Fiendish Codex 2:

Meanwhile, devilish intermediaries might seek out the captured foe’s allies or relatives and offer to return the prisoner
    in exchange for their souls. Cash-poor or greedy diabolical
    organizations sometimes grudgingly accept large sums of
    money in lieu of souls.
    Where possible, a devil always double
    deals, gaining both the prisoner’s soul and at least one other
    soul as ransom
    Could an harvester devil be persuaded to accept large sums of moneys in lieu of the contractor soul for the same provided benefit?
    For example, could a contractor buy spiritual energy (devilish XP) as that offered in a Faustian Pact, paying in cold cash rather than with his soul?
    Last edited by Samael Morgenst; 2024-05-06 at 09:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

These questions are better asked to your DM - or if you are the DM, pick whatever moves the story forward. If the relatively in-depth rules given don't satisfy your questions, the answers are determined by authority.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

I really feel as though this is more the realm of the DM of the game that yo, specifically, are playing. Unless you happen to be said DM and are looking for thoughts on the matter, I don't know what we can really answer except what we would say as the DM.

That said, if you have some creative mage and a way to fake a soul in an illusion or some such, I can see such a ruse working in some circumstances.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would argue that the soul-selling process is a magical ritual more than a mundane legal agreement. The magic actually changes the properties of your soul so it goes to a new destination. Otherwise, a CG character could simply sell his soul and dare his devilish creditors to file a lawsuit against Kord after death. If you attempt to sell a soul that isn't yours or is already sold, the ritual fails and the devil knows you tried to cheat him.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Eh, they probably account for that. If 0.01% of people you make a soul contract with end up living extremely long lives (even an "immortal" doesn't live forever, you'll die of something eventually), that's a blip on the balance sheet. A smart devil probably takes a hit out on the contracted person if it's practical to do so, and if it's not, write it off as a loss and get to making more contracts. But a devil who's in the red or particularly desperate might do something more risky.

2. Sure, probably. Devils are nasty and spiteful, but they're not generally going to intentionally self-sabotage out of spite. If you're worth more alive than dead, you can probably stay on a devil's good side. But that's not going to win you much wiggle room the second you stop being profitable, and I expect they'd progressively try to squeeze more and more out of you.

3. I'm sure you could get something for it, converting a bunch of people to a fiendish cult in exchange for rewards is one of the more obvious deals that a devil would be happy to make. Whether you could specifically get experience points for it, well, see next question.

4. Experience points/levels are a fuzzy area in most settings. The process of how a devil transfers experience to you in exchange for your soul is unclear, so it's hard to say if it "should" work. But any kind of mechanical "EXP farm" has pretty serious setting implications if you decide to allow it to work consistently, so I probably wouldn't. On the other hand... that does sound like a lot of work, so maybe it's worth roleplay XP?
    Last edited by Eurus; 2024-05-09 at 11:13 PM.