New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e Bloodline Guide] What in the Nine Hells is a Bloodline?

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Both gain bonuses to strength, con, and wis. They gain the same values of bonuses.

So if one gained a higher strength than the other, and one a higher Con....
    OK, so the special abilities make it still worth it.
    Yeah, I just threw the race together in a couple of seconds. I was thinking I should have bumped it up to 10 HD... But no. You still want to get 2 class levels in before taking the two bloodline levels, so that you still gain some sort of bonus from them other than "You Don't get a penalty".

...Wait, Does that mean you like it, or you don't?

Edit: you inspired me. I read the Glamerkin bloodline, I'm going to create a bloodline of my own (Damn those lonely wizards!).
    Sorry, that's what I get for not reading through thoroughly. I like it. And will read through that bloodline when I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Looks pretty interesting actually. Also, I was looking at Monster Classes, an old project on these forums, thinking of making a bloodline or two of my own based on the abilities there, when I sort of got a spark of an idea: a generic bloodline that lets you gain abilities from monster classes. I'm not sure if it would work or not, but I'm interested in your opinion of this idea.
    Hm, an interesting concept. I never spent much time looking at Monster Classes, but I do think that's it's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    I just noticed you do not have bloodlines for some existing systems like psionics, incarnum, and pact magic.

I'd also like to see a bloodline for these things if possible.
    You may notice that I have a "Binding bloodline" on my to-do list. I was never a big fan of Incarnum, though I suppose I really oughta to make one. And Eidolons do seem a significant enough system to have a bloodlines based off of them.

Oh, and I finished the Elemental Bloodlines today, as well as a Bloodline based on the Blood King. Yo dawg. I'll post them when I have the time.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Please tell me that the Blood King Blood Line is a valid choice for Morphic Bloodline...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    You may notice that I have a "Binding bloodline" on my to-do list. I was never a big fan of Incarnum, though I suppose I really oughta to make one. And Eidolons do seem a significant enough system to have a bloodlines based off of them.
    I don't know why, but I really want to do the Incarnum one at least. Mind if I take that one?

Oh, and I finished the Elemental Bloodlines today, as well as a Bloodline based on the Blood King. Yo dawg. I'll post them when I have the time.
    ....It's like a Bloodline-themed Christmas.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Do it; that is an ORDER!
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Please tell me that the Blood King Blood Line is a valid choice for Morphic Bloodline...
    Naturally. Though I did have to state that you can't use the Blood King Bloodline to put points into the Blood King Bloodline. Though at later levels it doesn't pan out, as it gives fewer points than it would take. The problem is the first points are awarded at second level, and that's two points. So you could put the two points into the Blood King Bloodline, to get another two points, to put into-- The end result is you learn all languages (Speak Language +2 at first).

I don't know why, but I really want to do the Incarnum one at least. Mind if I take that one?
    Feel free.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

6. - Top - End - #96

RedWizardGuy

Feel free.
    Excellent. I'll have it up in a few hours.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent. I'll have it up in a few hours.
    Nice.

Two things:

1. I'm considering making another Bloodine thread called Tome of Blood that would include links to all Bloodline works, both mine and those of others. And this would include not just bloodlines but also base classes, races, paragon classes and anything else bloodline-related that has been made. I also have come up with some basic rules for how bloodlines interact with one another, allowing for more detailed family trees. I made a "Filler Minor" that allows for Mudbloods like Intermediate/Minor. I doubt the rules for family trees would come up in play, but I was bored and think I should post it somewhere.

2. For my Blood King, I have decided that I'll be having a scaling Class Feature for each each Bloodline. I currently have features written up for every bloodline that I've created except for the Inherent, Blood Chameleon and Brother of the Elements. I will not be making features for the bloodlines created by others, but instead leave it up to them to make said features if they choose to. Hopefully I'll have the Gifts that I've created up soon so you can see what I've already gotten. (They'll likely need a bit of PEACHing as well).

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98

RedWizardGuy

Nice.

Two things:

1. I'm considering making another Bloodine thread called Tome of Blood that would include links to all Bloodline works, both mine and those of others. And this would include not just bloodlines but also base classes, races, paragon classes and anything else bloodline-related that has been made. I also have come up with some basic rules for how bloodlines interact with one another, allowing for more detailed family trees. I made a "Filler Minor" that allows for Mudbloods like Intermediate/Minor. I doubt the rules for family trees would come up in play, but I was bored and think I should post it somewhere.

2. For my Blood King, I have decided that I'll be having a scaling Class Feature for each each Bloodline. I currently have features written up for every bloodline that I've created except for the Inherent, Blood Chameleon and Brother of the Elements. I will not be making features for the bloodlines created by others, but instead leave it up to them to make said features if they choose to. Hopefully I'll have the Gifts that I've created up soon so you can see what I've already gotten. (They'll likely need a bit of PEACHing as well).
    Sounds good. Also, here's the Incarnum Bloodline.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't find the Bloodking Bloodline. I can find the Bloodking Class alright, but I can't find the Bloodline.
    It doesn't seem to be in your extended sig, but I recall you announcing it's completion. But now I can't find the announcement, either.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't find the Bloodking Bloodline. I can find the Bloodking Class alright, but I can't find the Bloodline.
    It doesn't seem to be in your extended sig, but I recall you announcing it's completion. But now I can't find the announcement, either.
    I have it right in front of me. On paper. I haven't gotten around to posting it yet. Though I have just finished posting a bunch of the Blood King's Blood Gifts that require PEACHing. Blood Chameleon line hopefully later today or sometime tomorrow. Darn life.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

RedWizardGuy

I have it right in front of me. On paper. I haven't gotten around to posting it yet. Though I have just finished posting a bunch of the Blood King's Blood Gifts that require PEACHing. Blood Chameleon line hopefully later today or sometime tomorrow. Darn life.
    Wait a second, you plan out your stuff on paper?
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait a second, you plan out your stuff on paper?
    Yup. Oh look, here's the paper for the Mage Commander. And on the back of it is the Late Mage (not one of my better ones). After a bit of digging I found the one that has the Kitten-Friend and Akodrin on it. And those are just the ones on my computer desk that I found after 30 seconds of rummaging. You know how I've said that I've posted about 1/5th of my Magitech stuff? I have a binder full of the rest of it. And countless more strewn about my abode.

I come up with my best stuff when I'm supposed to be doing something else, which usually means I don't have a computer readily available. So I write. A lot.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-09-11 at 09:10 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Firbolg in the Playground

...Late Mage (not one of my better ones)...
    I'd like to contest that, it just needed a reworking.

And i have something similar only it's when i'm talking to someone that my ideas start to take on a mind of their own. Which is one of the reasons i actually have very little homebrew yet what i do have is generally considered good work.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

14. - Top - End - #104

RedWizardGuy

Yup. Oh look, here's the paper for the Mage Commander. And on the back of it is the Late Mage (not one of my better ones). After a bit of digging I found the one that has the Kitten-Friend and Akodrin on it. And those are just the ones on my computer desk that I found after 30 seconds of rummaging. You know how I've said that I've posted about 1/5th of my Magitech stuff? I have a binder full of the rest of it. And countless more strewn about my abode.

I come up with my best stuff when I'm supposed to be doing something else, which usually means I don't have a computer readily available. So I write. A lot.
    Ah, I see. Usually I just stat stuff out in my head if I don't have paper and save it for later, then wait for inspiration to strike. Sort of like a Factotum...Oh, goodness, I just made a D&D joke.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

15. - Top - End - #105

RedWizardGuy

Ah, I see. Usually I just stat stuff out in my head if I don't have paper and save it for later, then wait for inspiration to strike. Sort of like a Factotum...Oh, goodness, I just made a D&D joke.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

I usually write stuff on the Notepad program, putting in tags as if I were to post it somewhere here, even if I have 0 intention of ever doing so.
    I do my "Best" writing when browsing these forums already, and often have several tabs of the SRD open at a time (not to mention several more of the Playground) while I'm writing. Yet, I rarely post anything I write, usually saving it and ignoring it for all of eternity. When I make feats, I feel I can never post them until I have a certain number. I've only reached that number in a single document once, and because I tend to make feats in themed batches, I feel it's "blasphemy" to post feats from multiple documents at once. And I never complete a class to the point of playground readyness. Or if I do, it's rare.

But because I write stuff in sporadic spurts, I can empathize with your writing on paper, when you should be doing something else. my work is scattered across three or four computers, and a thumb drive. Finding anything specific is a LOT of work.

By the way, inspiration struck again. I'm making a Paragon class for the Dire Mudblood, and maybe a few feats for it once I'm done with that. I think the best use of an inspiration boost ever could be Craft (Homebrew), too, so I wish I had a few factotum levels as well.
    You, Welknair, probably have put a lot of points into that skill, and I'd guess you'd taken a skill trick that allows you to specialize further into these bloodlines. Whether or not you 'brew in spurts like some of us.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

...Given the location, I think it's appropriate. I make D&D jokes all the time with company that doesn't understand them at all. And then everyone just ends up thinking I'm crazy.

If I don't have paper on me, I try to keep my ideas at the front of my thoughts, but I can only juggle three or four such ideas around at a time. I've never tried holding whole stat sets in my mind before, though I could probably do it.

Also what I like about paper and pencil is that it's so easy to see what you have and what you're missing. You can rearrange things however you like and such. I usually draft a list of features (specials, class features, what have you) with descriptive names that I'm considering using in the class/PrC/bloodline and make sure that I have at least a vague concept of what I want it to do mechanically. Then I keep coming up with these until I have enough to fill the needed slots. After that I go about arranging them and finally statting them out. And then there's the type-up last.

And that's my usual creative process, not including my actual inspiration, which can often be quite random. "You know, characters keep saying 'I was born ready", but none of them have mechanics to back that up. What if I made a Bloodline that had a special that caused the newborn to be born with a Readied Action? It'd give bonuses to Initiative and.." Yeah...

I'm actually planning on making that one.

Edit: I seemed to have both Swordsage'd and been swordsage'd. Look forward to seeing that Paragon, Flabort. And I probably have max ranks in Craft (Homebrew) as well as Skill Focus in it. It's not so much that I am better at making Bloodlines than anything as it is that it's a niche that hadn't been filled. If you make something unique (Or revamp something unique that hasn't already been revamped a hundred times (I'm talking to you, Paladin and Monk Fixes)) you'll get a lot more acclaim than if you go off and make "Another PrC". Though I may have a couple of Meta Brew feats, like Quicken Brew and Chain Brew (Bloodlines are totally a Chained Brew).

Now I really want to stat out a bunch of joke skills, feats, and skill tricks, potentially with a Base Class for Homebrewers.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-09-11 at 10:19 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm kinda like Pyromancer... only I'm more like a Bard with Bardic Knack and that spell that grants a floating bonus to skills...

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    And i have something similar only it's when i'm talking to someone that my ideas start to take on a mind of their own. Which is one of the reasons i actually have very little homebrew yet what i do have is generally considered good work.
    My, I was double swordsage'd. And I don't think I've actually seen any of your work - you really oughta get an Extended Signature if you have more than three or so things posted. I'd be interested to take a look at what you've made.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

RedWizardGuy

...Given the location, I think it's appropriate. I make D&D jokes all the time with company that doesn't understand them at all. And then everyone just ends up thinking I'm crazy.

If I don't have paper on me, I try to keep my ideas at the front of my thoughts, but I can only juggle three or four such ideas around at a time. I've never tried holding whole stat sets in my mind before, though I could probably do it.

Also what I like about paper and pencil is that it's so easy to see what you have and what you're missing. You can rearrange things however you like and such. I usually draft a list of features (specials, class features, what have you) with descriptive names that I'm considering using in the class/PrC/bloodline and make sure that I have at least a vague concept of what I want it to do mechanically. Then I keep coming up with these until I have enough to fill the needed slots. After that I go about arranging them and finally statting them out. And then there's the type-up last.

And that's my usual creative process, not including my actual inspiration, which can often be quite random. "You know, characters keep saying 'I was born ready", but none of them have mechanics to back that up. What if I made a Bloodline that had a special that caused the newborn to be born with a Readied Action? It'd give bonuses to Initiative and.." Yeah...
    So it'd sort of be like a bloodline based around Reflex and quickness? Cool.

Edit: I seemed to have both Swordsage'd and been swordsage'd. Look forward to seeing that Paragon, Flabort. And I probably have max ranks in Craft (Homebrew) as well as Skill Focus in it. It's not so much that I am better at making Bloodlines than anything as it is that it's a niche that hadn't been filled. If you make something unique (Or revamp something unique that hasn't already been revamped a hundred times (I'm talking to you, Paladin and Monk Fixes)) you'll get a lot more acclaim than if you go off and make "Another PrC". Though I may have a couple of Meta Brew feats, like Quicken Brew and Chain Brew (Bloodlines are totally a Chained Brew).
    Interesting.

Now I really want to stat out a bunch of joke skills, feats, and skill tricks, potentially with a Base Class for Homebrewers.
    My domain. I was planning on making a few generic homebrewer feats, then a feat or two for every prominent homebrewer on these forums, with nominations for homebrewers for feats allowed. I plan to do this after the Fey and Celestial Heritage chains I have planned, in addition to the Familiar PC class.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

My domain. I was planning on making a few generic homebrewer feats, then a feat or two for every prominent homebrewer on these forums, with nominations for homebrewers for feats allowed. I plan to do this after the Fey and Celestial Heritage chains I have planned, in addition to the Familiar PC class.
    Heh, perhaps I could help you then, as it sounds like it'd be quite a lot of fun. Homebrewer Bloodline . I personally like the idea of "Meta Brew" feats, as there's just so many possibilities for them.

Would these feats have mechanic effects attached, or be purely for joke value?

Edit: And did you see that I was quoted? And not like, "funny quip" quoted. How crazy is that?
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-09-11 at 11:01 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

May I have a feat based off of me, please?

It would have a TON to do with procrastination and not completing projects, or something like that...

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice. It must feel like a compliment to be quoted in that way. I certainty am glad, even feel a bit of pride (although I have no idea where it's coming from), to congratulate you on that.

I think I've got the Paragon class mostly done. It seems a bit strong (Not the "Nobody wouldn't take it" strong, the "Nobody who's playing that race wouldn't take it" strong. It doesn't make the race broken, but it's certainty a big boost for three levels), but if I decrease the BaB and one save, it should be balanced. Done that.

Now I need some racial Feats. Only three. Once I make those, I'll post it. (Pyromancer, I know feats are your specialty, so I expect you to peach them first. Don't have to, but if you want to)

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey Welknair, I came across these recently and thought you might like them, possibly to base a bloodline on them.

The Spellshapers
    Chronomancy
    The Blue Mage
    The Monstrumologist

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your new class features for the Blood King!
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Spellshaper is easy; it would just be modifying Bladechild slightly.

Chronomancy might be harder.

26. - Top - End - #116

RedWizardGuy

Heh, perhaps I could help you then, as it sounds like it'd be quite a lot of fun. Homebrewer Bloodline . I personally like the idea of "Meta Brew" feats, as there's just so many possibilities for them.
    A Homebrewer Bloodline would be good, although slightly odd when you think about it ("Oh, hey, want your character to effectively be Pyromancer's baby?" "....Sure"). Not entirely sure what you mean by MetaBrew feats, though.
    Would these feats have mechanic effects attached, or be purely for joke value?
    These feats shall follow the same guidline as my [Holiday] feats: Funny, but Functional. Or maybe Awesome and Functional. Regardless, mechanic effects shall be tied to said feats.
    Edit: And did you see that I was quoted? And not like, "funny quip" quoted. How crazy is that?
    That's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    May I have a feat based off of me, please?

It would have a TON to do with procrastination and not completing projects, or something like that...
    Sure. Was planning on one or two for you anyways. Actually, procrastination would apply to most homebrewers, so that'd be a more general Homebrewer feat. Most feats will be based off of individuals' homebrews.

Now I need some racial Feats. Only three. Once I make those, I'll post it. (Pyromancer, I know feats are your specialty, so I expect you to peach them first. Don't have to, but if you want to)
    I'll take a look, so long as I'm notified as to where and when they're posted.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-09-11 at 11:16 PM.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh my god, you were going to do one for me anyway?

That's the best homebrew related news I've had since I saw that I'm listed as a collaborator for the Spellshaping project (I gave some feedback).

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

A Homebrewer Bloodline would be good, although slightly odd when you think about it ("Oh, hey, want your character to effectively be Pyromancer's baby?" "....Sure"). Not entirely sure what you mean by MetaBrew feats, though.
    Quicken Homebrew, Enlarge Homebrew, Extend Homebrew.. In the context they make a kind of sense. Not sure what mechanic effect they'd have, though.

And now I'm imagining a tribe of my descendants in a standard D&D world. I don't think they'd last very long.

It'd much more likely be like the Tinkerer with a "Knack" that they're born with.

And I really oughta update my to-do list.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

And boom.
    Feats complete, race posted.
    Dire Mudblood, Paragon and Feats.
    I believe one feat stole from the bloodking, so if you want me to change it...

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

And boom.
    Feats complete, race posted.
    Dire Mudblood, Paragon and Feats.
    I believe one feat stole from the bloodking, so if you want me to change it...
    Neato. I'll take a more thorough look when I have the time.

And I'm totally fine with you using that. In general, if you are making bloodline-based homebrew, feel free to reference or utilize any of my other bloodline-homebrew. And I should hopefully be posting the rest of those Gifts soon.

Edit:

A Homebrewer Bloodline would be good, although slightly odd when you think about it ("Oh, hey, want your character to effectively be Pyromancer's baby?" "....Sure").
    ... Oh Boccob. Mudblood.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-09-12 at 12:36 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show