New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Book of Boba Fett - First Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by ecarden View Post
    I tend to agree. There were a few things worrying me, but they all played out well.

Spoiler: First
    Show
    The assassin was tricked into talking, but lied rather than speak the truth. Excellent! Points for not being an idiot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did he, though? The mayor never actually denied it. Instead, he had the assassin killed immediately and threw suspicion on someone else. This is the same person who (through his majordomo) refuses to pay any tribute to Fett, demands tribute from Fett, and then tells Fett to expect another "delegation".

I'm not sold that it wasn't him. He's a major player on Tatooine, I'm not about to assume that he's above the machinations of the powerful elite on this brutal world.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Absolutely loved it. Hit my Star Wars happy place.

Really well-done episode, with an excellent mix of action, world-building, character depth and politics.

Spoiler: Captivity
    Show
    At this point I’m enjoying the captivity narrative more than the present-day storyline. The development of the Tusken culture is excellent, and Fett’s shown that he can fit into that culture perfectly. Rule with respect, indeed.

Also enjoyed the appearance of the Pikes. Is this the first time we’ve seen them without their faceplates? I’ve also spotted a couple other species that were in Clone Wars, and this seems to be their first live-action appearance as well.

Spoiler: The Big Guy
    Show
    That is the meanest-looking Wookiee I’ve ever seen. They nailed the surly menace with this guy.

Apparently he’s a pre-existing character, but I have no idea where he’s from. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Spoiler: Fan Details
    Show
    Two fan details of note. First, the couple in the small bar where the Weequays were drinking were, according to the credits, none other than Cami and Fixer, who were in some deleted scenes from the very first Star Wars and made it into the novelization. I always thought Cami was a blonde, but even so it’s a nice touch.

Also, the shelter where the Tuskens teach Fett to make his gaffi stick is based on some early concept art by Ralph McQuarrie. Really nice homage there.

Spoiler: Mayor
    Show
    I’m thinking the mayor is more dangerous than the Hutts. Morally ambiguous nothin’—he’s not where he is by having morals of any kind.

I would be highly suspicious of any "tribute" he does offer, not to mention everything he says. He clearly had an arrangement with Bib Fortuna that allowed him a great deal of power, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had that arrangement with Jabba as well. He won't surrender that power lightly.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2022-01-05 at 11:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: The Big Guy
    Show
    That is the meanest-looking Wookiee I’ve ever seen. They nailed the surly menace with this guy.

Apparently he’s a pre-existing character, but I have no idea where he’s from. Looking forward to seeing more of him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black K. So far only seen in the comics. He's a top tier bounty hunter, along the best of the best. Not to be trifled with.

My wife said I let out little gasp when he can't on screen.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did he, though? The mayor never actually denied it. Instead, he had the assassin killed immediately and threw suspicion on someone else. This is the same person who (through his majordomo) refuses to pay any tribute to Fett, demands tribute from Fett, and then tells Fett to expect another "delegation".

I'm not sold that it wasn't him. He's a major player on Tatooine, I'm not about to assume that he's above the machinations of the powerful elite on this brutal world.
    Show
    I’m thinking the mayor is more dangerous than the Hutts. Morally ambiguous nothin’—he’s not where he is by having morals of any kind.

I would be highly suspicious of any "tribute" he does offer, not to mention everything he says. He clearly had an arrangement with Bib Fortuna that allowed him a great deal of power, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had that arrangement with Jabba as well. He won't surrender that power lightly.
    I may be jumping to conclusions
    Spoiler: but...
    Show
    the combination of 'the assassins are only allowed to operate within Hutt space, plus pointing him directly at the Hutts said to me that he was playing it relatively straight on this. I mean, it's possible it was a double bluff, but you've got an assassin apparently from Hutt space pointing Boba at someone who is (at least apparently) an enemy of the Hutts...why would that be true? For that matter, why wouldn't the assassin lie? He's got every motive in the world and had a LONG time to think one up.

On the question of morality, the mayor's definitely not going to submit easily to Boba, but that doesn't make him evil. Boba is a crime lord. We know absolutely nothing about how one becomes mayor, except that Boba seems to think it means something other than just being another strongman, as his reaction to the rejection of the initial demand for tribute shows.

Definitely an antagonist at the moment, but in my mind, not a villain yet.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by ecarden
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the question of morality, the mayor's definitely not going to submit easily to Boba, but that doesn't make him evil.

…Definitely an antagonist at the moment, but in my mind, not a villain yet.
    Spoiler: Mayor's Office
    Show
    The mayor has the assassin shot without any actual evidence of wrongdoing, nor any other hint of due process.

This is what tyrants and crimelords do. Looks like a villain to me.

6. - Top - End - #156

I may be jumping to conclusions
    Spoiler: but...
    Show
    the combination of 'the assassins are only allowed to operate within Hutt space, plus pointing him directly at the Hutts said to me that he was playing it relatively straight on this. I mean, it's possible it was a double bluff, but you've got an assassin apparently from Hutt space pointing Boba at someone who is (at least apparently) an enemy of the Hutts...why would that be true? For that matter, why wouldn't the assassin lie? He's got every motive in the world and had a LONG time to think one up.

On the question of morality, the mayor's definitely not going to submit easily to Boba, but that doesn't make him evil. Boba is a crime lord. We know absolutely nothing about how one becomes mayor, except that Boba seems to think it means something other than just being another strongman, as his reaction to the rejection of the initial demand for tribute shows.

Definitely an antagonist at the moment, but in my mind, not a villain yet.
    Problems with your analysis:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A.) What double bluff? Only needs a single bluff. "Look at these other people instead of me". Easy peasy.

2.) He didn't point Fett at the Hutts. He pointed Fett at Garsa Fwip.

Facts we know:
    • The Mayor paid no tribute to Fett.
    • The Mayor demanded tribute from Fett.
    • Fett refused to pay.
    • The Mayor threatened Fett.
    • Assassins attacked directly following this.
    • The surviving assassin said it was ordered by the Mayor.
    • The Mayor immediately had the assassin killed.
    • The Mayor never denied sending the assassins.

You'll forgive me if I don't immediately trust the Ithorian.

7. - Top - End - #157

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Mayor's Office
    Show
    The mayor has the assassin shot without any actual evidence of wrongdoing, nor any other hint of due process.

This is what tyrants and crimelords do. Looks like a villain to me.
    Spoiler: Local Justice
    Show
    We have no idea how the justice system on Tattoine works, but what he says is that the order cannot operate outside Hutt space. The man is wearing a very identifiable uniform and he now has multiple eyewitnesses claiming he attempted to carry out an assassination. Again, morally ambiguous and had an assassin executed on the spot are entirely consistent for me.

Problems with the problems in my analysis:

Spoiler
    Show
    A.) What double bluff? Only needs a single bluff. "Look at these other people instead of me". Easy peasy.
    To be clear, the double bluff would be that the assassin was supposed to reveal his identity (and using an assassin tied to the Hutts rather than someone more local). This isn't required, but was my interpretation based on the 'he'll never talk--at the first serious threat he talks' sequence. More generally, this ignores the fact that the assassin has absolutely no reason to tell the truth and every reason to lie.

2.) He didn't point Fett at the Hutts. He pointed Fett at Garsa Fwip.
    No. He pointed him to 'Garsa's Sanctuary' the location, not the person, which was fairly obviously where the Twins were going. The point wasn't to accuse her, but to point their return to him
    Facts we know:
    • The Mayor paid no tribute to Fett.
      Correct
    • The Mayor demanded tribute from Fett.
      Correct
    • Fett refused to pay.
      Correct.
    • The Mayor threatened Fett.
      His Major Domo did.
    • Assassins attacked directly following this.
      Well, time isn't exactly clear on any of this, which is one of the better things about the series, but indeed, narratively it's set up to suggest the mayor's responsibility.
    • The surviving assassin said it was ordered by the Mayor.
      Indeed. And it's totally possible he'll prove to have been telling the truth. I'll think that's stupid, given their reputation and the amount of time he had to think of a lie.
    • The Mayor immediately had the assassin killed.
      Indeed. Totally unlike our protagonists...except, uh...not. But the more interesting thing is the claim made as justification, that they aren't allowed to operate outside Hutt Space, which suggests that the mayor is opposed to Tattoine being considered Hutt Space. Again, could be a bluff or cover for sending the assassins, but it suggested more to me, which is one of the things I'm liking so far. The show doesn't feel the need to give definitive answers.
    • The Mayor never denied sending the assassins.
      No, but his Major Domo did and he expressly said 'who really sent the Night Wind?' Of course, even if he had expressly denied it...that wouldn't prove anything?

You'll forgive me if I don't immediately trust the Ithorian.

Of course not. Trusting a morally ambiguous character would be deeply foolish.

8. - Top - End - #158

Spoiler: Local Justice
    Show
    We have no idea how the justice system on Tattoine works, but what he says is that the order cannot operate outside Hutt space. The man is wearing a very identifiable uniform and he now has multiple eyewitnesses claiming he attempted to carry out an assassination. Again, morally ambiguous and had an assassin executed on the spot are entirely consistent for me.

Problems with the problems in my analysis:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One would presume they would hand such a lawbreakers over to the Hutts, or at least imprison and try to extract information (such as who sent them). Instead, the mayor has him killed immediately. That's damned suspicious.

It's difficult to reply when you nest your replies in my quote blocks, because formatting doesn't carry that over.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The twins weren't heading for her place specifically - they were seeking out Boba Fett. They went there because he was there. Their only business is confronting him, and when that is finished, they leave.

Not to mention, why does the assassin have no reason to tell the truth? His only desire is to not be eaten. Truth or lie is irrelevant here.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-06 at 11:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    One would presume they would hand such a lawbreakers over to the Hutts, or at least imprison and try to extract information (such as who sent them). Instead, the mayor has him killed immediately. That's damned suspicious.
    Spoiler: Except
    Show
    He expressly states the assassins can't operate outside Hutt Space. He is claiming that this is not Hutt Space, so of course he wouldn't turn them over to the Hutts. He seems to be claiming that he has the authority to enforce the law, as the Mayor, though that could be interpreted differently (ie, he asserts that since Boba claims to be in charge, the Hutts can't be, so this isn't Hutt space, so the assassins can't be there...) I mean, killing the guy is definitely suspicious. It could be to cover up his involvement, or it could be to demonstrate his power and ruthlessness and warn Boba off against attempting to solve this with blasters.

Spoiler
    Show
    The twins weren't heading for her place specifically - they were seeking out Boba Fett. They went there because he was there. Their only business is confronting him, and when that is finished, they leave.

Not to mention, why does the assassin have no reason to tell the truth? His only desire is to not be eaten. Truth or lie is irrelevant here.
    Spoiler: I don't believe that's correct.
    Show
    The mayor sends him to that location. Everyone is nervous there, Boba asks why, she references the Twins and they arrive moments later on a very slow litter. My read is very definitely that they were heading for that location. Now, this isn't certain, but makes the most sense to me.

On the assassin...he's motivated to lie because he hopes to survive and move forward and having it be publicly known that he betrayed his employer is incredibly counterproductive? Also, a bunch of his allies were just killed by them, why would he want to help them out? If I'm him, my goal is to delay and lie until I can find a moment to escape. Motives for lying: Professional reputation, revenge on the person who killed your allies/friends, buy time to escape. Motives for telling the truth: hope that the crimelord will be so grateful he'll let you go (after you betrayed your previous employer and his lieutenant murdered your ally in cold blood), buy time to escape, revenge on the employer who sent you after this target. So, there are motives to go the other way if you want, but I really prefer the model where he's lying (or doesn't know and is making something up, personally I'd think part of the benefit of hiring an order of assassins rather than an individual would be that the ones actually sent don't know who sent them, so can't give up any information).

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

I tend to agree. There were a few things worrying me, but they all played out well.

Spoiler: First
    Show
    The assassin was tricked into talking, but lied rather than speak the truth. Excellent! Points for not being an idiot.
    I did not catch that. Verry smart indeed.

Spoiler: Second
    Show
    The mayor appears to actually be an independent power and is trying to walk a narrow path between Hutts and Boba and is intriguingly morally ambiguous and not human.
    Spoiler: 2nd
    Show
    I think there is a lot more in balance for the Mayor. Maybe he was using Fortuna as a front to keep a nominal bribe to the Hutts without them intervening, but when Boba Fett arrived and claimed the hold, he's the one who called the Hutts. His plan is obviously that one destroys the other; and in either case he comes out ahead.

Spoiler: Fifth
    Show
    I look forward to learning more about the Hutts.
    Spoiler: aes
    Show
    Screw the Hutts. I wanna see more of the Evil Wookie.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Nothing is indicative of Mandalorians as a whole, because they're composed of a bunch of different sects constantly in conflict over what being a mandalorian actually is.
    And they doubtless refer to one another as Splitters.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The ingots with Imperial symbols that Mando was paid in, come from the fact that the Empire did at some point melt down Mando armour and turn it into ingots, after they'd killed them.
    That's the impression that I got.

May wait for the series to be complete and then drop a dime on Disney+ to binge watch it, and then cancel. Will discuss how to finesse that with my son who I think still has a disney+ sub ...
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #162

annoyed Re: The Book of Boba Fett - First Trailer

Show
    He expressly states the assassins can't operate outside Hutt Space. He is claiming that this is not Hutt Space, so of course he wouldn't turn them over to the Hutts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What? Why in the world not? Theres only one reason why he couldn't turn them over to the Hutts, and that would be if he sent them himself. That does not mean he is obligated to turn the assassin over, but it does mean that killing the assassin is significantly suspicious, as it's the single most self-serving action he could take if he did indeed do it.

Spoiler: I don't believe that's correct.
    Show
    The mayor sends him to that location. Everyone is nervous there, Boba asks why, she references the Twins and they arrive moments later on a very slow litter. My read is very definitely that they were heading for that location. Now, this isn't certain, but makes the most sense to me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone is on edge because they know the Hutts are on world and they will obviously confront Fett, and suddenly that is seemingly going to happen right where they are.

Note how the Hutts never say anything that's not directly related to their issue with Fett. When the conversation is done, they don't say "now step aside, we would like to go in." They leave because hey are done entirely - their sole interest is dealing with Fett.

Spoiler
    Show
    On the assassin...he's motivated to lie because he hopes to survive and move forward and having it be publicly known that he betrayed his employer is incredibly counterproductive?]
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is ready to die already, without talking at all. He simply didn't want to get eaten alive. That's not planning out how to lie, that's panic. And even if it was a lie, how would that help him survive long-term? Either Fett or the Hutts would kill him if his employer didn't (assuming his employer isn't the Hutts - if it was, they would kill him anyway, obviously). Your theory just doesn't hold water.

Further, neither Boba Fett nor Fennec Shand believe he is lying despite them being significantly more well versed in both the Star Wars universe and also the SW underworld. Fett even tells the mayor to not think Fett is a fool when the mayor gives his (very weak) rebuttals. That you seem to discard all of this and decide that both lead characters are apparently fools and that the person who was named, who is also the only known party to have delivered a threat to Fett up to this point, who immediately eliminated the only remaining witness who could say who ordered the attack, did not do it because he didn't just own up to it? Well... it's not a belief that I can share. I'm not convinced that the Mayor did call the hit, but if we had to place bets right now,
    my money would definitely be on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wookiee. 2 E's.

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The ingots with Imperial symbols that Mando was paid in, come from the fact that the Empire did at some point melt down Mando armour and turn it into ingots, after they'd killed them.
    My impression was that this was beskar that was mined and smelted by the Empire after decimating the Mandalorians, nit just taking armor and re-melting them into ingots.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-06 at 02:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Is there some reason you cant both be right?

Spoiler
    Show
    The mayor is obviously not acting with Boba's best interests in mind, or even particularly interested in the two of them mutually avoiding each other, but that doesnt mean that every bad thing that happens to or around Boba is his fault. Heck, its in his own interests to get Boba to consider the Hutts to be a bigger and more immediate threat than himself, but he doesnt want Boba actually winning that fight handily. Giving Boba just enough information to find trouble sooner works plenty well on all his possible objectives there, and has fewer ways of going wrong in the event that, say, Boba does win, as he can just say he was earnestly helping Boba.

ETA: Spoiled out of politeness and consistency.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2022-01-06 at 02:34 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it basically comes down to "the assassin is/is not lying", which is pretty binary.

15. - Top - End - #165

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    What? Why in the world not? Theres only one reason why he couldn't turn them over to the Hutts, and that would be if he sent them himself. That does not mean he is obligated to turn the assassin over, but it does mean that killing the assassin is significantly suspicious, as it's the single most self-serving action he could take if he did indeed do it.
    Spoiler: Right, but...
    Show
    I didn't say he couldn't turn them over. I said he wouldn't, because he was claiming that the assassin was in violation of some sort of rule limiting their presence to Hutt space. Now, he could have taken the prisoner and handed him over to the Hutts, but that would have been choosing a side and my read is that he was trying not to choose a side.

I mean, it's (ETA: killing the assassin) an action he could take whether he sent them or not. Let me ask a different question. Assume I'm right and the man lied. What do you want the Mayor to do to demonstrate innocence, which doesn't require him to submit to Boba, which he doesn't want to do?

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone is on edge because they know the Hutts are on world and they will obviously confront Fett, and suddenly that is seemingly going to happen right where they are.

Note how the Hutts never say anything that's not directly related to their issue with Fett. When the conversation is done, they don't say "now step aside, we would like to go in." They leave because hey are done entirely - their sole interest is dealing with Fett.
    Show
    That's certainly one interpretation. The other is they were there on other business (as not everyone in the city is that nervous, or at least Boba and Fennec don't mention/comment on it anywhere else) and when they decided not to start a brawl went off to conclude their business later. I don't see a way to determine which is correct based on the material in the episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    He is ready to die already, without talking at all. He simply didn't want to get eaten alive. That's not planning out how to lie, that's panic. And even if it was a lie, how would that help him survive long-term? Either Fett or the Hutts would kill him if his employer didn't (assuming his employer isn't the Hutts - if it was, they would kill him anyway, obviously). Your theory just doesn't hold water.

Further, neither Boba Fett nor Fennec Shand believe he is lying despite them being significantly more well versed in both the Star Wars universe and also the SW underworld. Fett even tells the mayor to not think Fett is a fool when the mayor gives his (very weak) rebuttals. That you seem to discard all of this and decide that both lead characters are apparently fools and that the person who was named, who is also the only known party to have delivered a threat to Fett up to this point, who immediately eliminated the only remaining witness who could say who ordered the attack, did not do it because he didn't just own up to it? Well... it's not a belief that I can share. I'm not convinced that the Mayor did call the hit, but if we had to place bets right now,
    my money would definitely be on him.
    I disagree.
    Spoiler: Because
    Show
    I didn't say and don't think he thought of the lie on the spot as he was worried about the Rancor (though it's certainly possible. People think up lies under torture, especially when they don't know the information the other person wants) but rather on the very long walk back to their base and through the city. But to go back a step, assume I'm right. He was hired by the Hutts (or someone else, besides the Mayor) and he lies. It works as he hopes it does, Boba kills the Mayor and releases him, or he escapes in the firefight. Now, to clean up his mess, he probably still has to kill Boba, but why would the Hutts care to seek revenge? His order might, for damaging their reputation, but we're reading an awful lot into one scene.

I agree that we don't know what the answer here is, but I disagree that my theory holds no water.

I don't think we know what Fennec and Boba think. We know what they said to the Mayor who is definitely a rival to them. You'll note that having gone there and had their prisoner shot in the head, they don't continue to claim he's guilty and they don't start a fight, even before the Mayor's sent them off to learn about the twins, their plan is to take the money and leave, which suggests to me that they don't know whether or not the Mayor was behind it. If they wanted to assassinate the Mayor as payback because they were certain he was responsible, then Boba would have said to Fennec (famously an assassin) 'go kill him' and that problem would have been solved.

I am not committed to the Mayor's innocence, but I will say I really like the idea of it being a lie, both because it undermines a trope I find distasteful 'torture gets you good information and, in my view, makes the dead assassin character much more interesting than 'stuffed shirt who folds when things leave his comfort zone.'

ETA:

Spoiler
    Show
    The mayor is obviously not acting with Boba's best interests in mind, or even particularly interested in the two of them mutually avoiding each other, but that doesnt mean that every bad thing that happens to or around Boba is his fault. Heck, its in his own interests to get Boba to consider the Hutts to be a bigger and more immediate threat than himself, but he doesnt want Boba actually winning that fight handily. Giving Boba just enough information to find trouble sooner works plenty well on all his possible objectives there, and has fewer ways of going wrong in the event that, say, Boba does win, as he can just say he was earnestly helping Boba.

ETA: Spoiled out of politeness and consistency.
    Spoiler: So...
    Show
    I think we're in agreement that the Mayor is an antagonist to Boba at the moment. But the question at issue, did he send the assassins, is probably a yes-or-no situation. I mean, you can come up with a scenario where the Major Domo sends them without telling him, but it would be pretty baroque.
    Last edited by ecarden; 2022-01-06 at 02:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Spoiler: Right, but...
    Show
    I didn't say he couldn't turn them over. I said he wouldn't, because he was claiming that the assassin was in violation of some sort of rule limiting their presence to Hutt space. Now, he could have taken the prisoner and handed him over to the Hutts, but that would have been choosing a side and my read is that he was trying not to choose a side.

I mean, it's (ETA: killing the assassin) an action he could take whether he sent them or not. Let me ask a different question. Assume I'm right and the man lied. What do you want the Mayor to do to demonstrate innocence, which doesn't require him to submit to Boba, which he doesn't want to do?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The mayor can do one thing to demonstrate innocence: not immediately kill the assassin! Because despite what you claim, that is taking sides. That's treating Fett as a bounty hunter, not a ruler in his own right (which Fett openly states, so that should be hard to miss). It takes away Fett's captive, the only person who can name the party that ordered the attack (and outside of Hutt space to boot!), silencing him permanently. Hutts control Hutt space, so if something is not allowed outside their space, that's a Hutt issue and as such, bringing it to the Hutts is the action that actually isn't taking sides.

Show
    That's certainly one interpretation. The other is they were there on other business (as not everyone in the city is that nervous, or at least Boba and Fennec don't mention/comment on it anywhere else) and when they decided not to start a brawl went off to conclude their business later. I don't see a way to determine which is correct based on the material in the episode.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theres a huge problem with that though. Let's assume you are correct. The Hutts now look weak. They had business, Fett interrupted, and they turned tail and ran. It doesn't even matter if that's the actual reason they left, it looks like that's why they left (and is probably the actual reason they left anyway).

The only way they come off without looking like they're cowtowing to Fett right off the bat is if they came specifically looking for him and left once they concluded their chat.

17. - Top - End - #167

ClericGuy

We're talking circles at this point, so I'm going to disengage. Have a nice day.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    The mayor can do one thing to demonstrate innocence: not immediately kill the assassin! Because despite what you claim, that is taking sides. That's treating Fett as a bounty hunter, not a ruler in his own right (which Fett openly states, so that should be hard to miss). It takes away Fett's captive, the only person who can name the party that ordered the attack (and outside of Hutt space to boot!), silencing him permanently. Hutts control Hutt space, so if something is not allowed outside their space, that's a Hutt issue and as such, bringing it to the Hutts is the action that actually isn't taking sides.
    Spoiler
    Show
    How would that demonstrate his innocence though? We already know the Mayor is not friendly to Boba, so killing him, or not, doesnt tell us anything new.

Spoiler
    Show
    Theres a huge problem with that though. Let's assume you are correct. The Hutts now look weak. They had business, Fett interrupted, and they turned tail and ran. It doesn't even matter if that's the actual reason they left, it looks like that's why they left (and is probably the actual reason they left anyway).

The only way they come off without looking like they're cowtowing to Fett right off the bat is if they came specifically looking for him and left once they concluded their chat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Hutts look weak no matter what there, because Boba basically just threw down the gauntlet and they backed down. I dont think we can ascertain anything about their motives from their not starting a shootout in the street, other than that they werent sure they would win.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Just watched it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boba Fett involved in a train heist. That feels familiar somehow...
    Thinking back at our little debate(s) about whether Boba is a Mandalorian or not. Maybe he sees himself as a Tusken now? Really strating to wonder if his takeover was less a power-grab and more a way for him to help the Tuskens.

No, Mr. Mayor, that wasn't Jabba's throne, he couldn't sit.

Also, running a family is more complicated than bounty hunting? But that's already a complicated profession!

Fyra watching the Tusken burn their dead: Where do they find the wood?
    Fyra watching Boba go out of the vision quest with a broken branch to serves as a warstaff: That just raises further questions!
    I joke but that was easily my favourite bit of the episode. All the Tuskens go through this? really deepens them. The artwork shown at the end shows Jawas present when Boba reaches the tree. obviously that was scrapped, but I hope the show explores these two people's relationship somewhat.

Also, the bit about oceans drying, that's from Legends, isn't it? Where did the water even go?

I thought the mean Wookieeeeeeeeee was a reference to Hanharr from KoTOR II, but he's a canon character? Cool. How does he not die of heat is beyond me, though.

The Mayor is awesome, and I really enjoyed the bit with the receptionist, low-hanging fruit as it was.

Those poor, poor people carrying the Hutts around.

EDIT: Also, the Tuskens pilfering weapons from the Pykes made me think of Darth and Droids.

Spoiler: Second
    Show
    The mayor appears to actually be an independent power and is trying to walk a narrow path between Hutts and Boba and is intriguingly morally ambiguous and not human.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, being a snail-man in a position of power on Tatooine is kind of a boast in and of itself.

Spoiler: Fan Details
    Show
    Two fan details of note. First, the couple in the small bar where the Weequays were drinking were, according to the credits, none other than Cami and Fixer, who were in some deleted scenes from the very first Star Wars and made it into the novelization. I always thought Cami was a blonde, but even so it’s a nice touch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder how much restraint it took to refrain from having them mention power converters.

Show
    He clearly had an arrangement with Bib Fortuna that allowed him a great deal of power, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had that arrangement with Jabba as well. He won't surrender that power lightly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the idea is that Fortuna let Jabba's empire whither away, allowing the Mayor and the underbosses to basically become semi-independent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it basically comes down to "the assassin is/is not lying", which is pretty binary.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Turns out the assassin thought he was hired by the Mayor, but that was actually Black K. in a cheap rubber suit. He was told to do that by the Twins, but he's actually a spy for the Twi'lek lady who's working for Thrawn, who is himself allied with the ressurected Darth Sidious.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-01-06 at 05:46 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #170

Spoiler
    Show
    How would that demonstrate his innocence though? We already know the Mayor is not friendly to Boba, so killing him, or not, doesnt tell us anything new.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Killing or not killing is not a striaght up admission of innocence or guilt. However, if guilty, he has everything to gain by killing the assassin. If innocent, he has nothing to gain whatsoever by killing the assassin. So it's pretty telling.

Think of it this way. Word on the street is that you are going to serve my company with a subpoena tomorrow. Tonight I move a whole bunch of microcut paper shredders into my office and work throughout the night. That act itself doesn't prove anything at all, but it's suspicious as all hell.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Hutts look weak no matter what there, because Boba basically just threw down the gauntlet and they backed down. I dont think we can ascertain anything about their motives from their not starting a shootout in the street, other than that they werent sure they would win.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing in the scene in any way indicates they were looking for anything other than Boba Fett. Everything in the scene indicates they were looking for Boba Fett. I don't think it's out of hand to say "I think they were probably there for Boba Fett specifically".

Further, if they were just there to do some gambling or get some tribute, then being rebuffed completely by a third party is a massive show of weakness. If they were there to dispute who controls the territory and they decide to not have the battle in a public street in the middle of the city, that's significantly different.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Killing or not killing is not a striaght up admission of innocence or guilt. However, if guilty, he has everything to gain by killing the assassin. If innocent, he has nothing to gain whatsoever by killing the assassin. So it's pretty telling.

Think of it this way. Word on the street is that you are going to serve my company with a subpoena tomorrow. Tonight I move a whole bunch of microcut paper shredders into my office and work throughout the night. That act itself doesn't prove anything at all, but it's suspicious as all hell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing in the scene in any way indicates they were looking for anything other than Boba Fett. Everything in the scene indicates they were looking for Boba Fett. I don't think it's out of hand to say "I think they were probably there for Boba Fett specifically".

Further, if they were just there to do some gambling or get some tribute, then being rebuffed completely by a third party is a massive show of weakness. If they were there to dispute who controls the territory and they decide to not have the battle in a public street in the middle of the city, that's significantly different.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing besides Boba not actually being there or being based there you mean? He was sent there by the Mayor, don't forget, and there is no indication that he otherwise had any plans to go there.

Furthermore, if as you say they are there to dispute territory or establish authority, they STILL come off as weak because Boba basically told them to shove off, and they backed down. So either they were totally unprepared to actually do the thing they came to do, or Boba basically caught them off guard and they left rather than risk a confrontation.

22. - Top - End - #172

BardGuy

Having seen episode 2:

Spoiler
    Show
    I loved the part with the vision quest and the general fleshing out of the Tuskens: feared for a moment they'd lean into the "civilizing the tribals" thing too much, but it's handled quite well, respectfully even (for a fictional people). As for the quest themselves: if every Tusken goes through the process of going out to break off a large branch from one of few trees ever present in the Dune Sea, while high, that does explain their general hardiness as a people, even as it raises countless further questions.

Loved the use of the EU Pikes and Black K, especially that they're used in a way that 99% of viewers'll simply think "nice, evil wookiee" and "just a syndicate" and won't be left wondering at the random character that's given dramatic cues and extra screen time for no clear reason (looking at you, Abrams' needlessly dramatic "My name is Khan")

As for the present-era intrigue:

the Mayor's clearly trying to play at neutrality as much as he can, which might include setting hutts and Fett against each other for his own benefit: he's refused to give Fett tribute and asked his own, makes a point of treating him as a bounty hunter bringing in a target rather than a ruler, let alone a "liege", and never really said anything on the assassin besides killing him. I don't see him being on the Hutt's side, but he's certainly not on Fett's. And as he's aware the Hutts were after Fett, sending an assassin that supposedly came from them could work very well to play them against each other while he can keep his head down. Not certain whether that part's true, but it's quite plausible for the moment.

I imagine the Hutts "backed down" mainly because they know Fett's reputation, and don't want to risk their own lives in an altercation. They're Hutts: risking themselves is pretty anathema, especially when they can just make a graceful retreat and take the time to prepare and execute follow-up plans. They've tried the "diplomatic route", and all that's left now is the continuance of diplomacy by other means. Preferably without them risking anything but the coin spent on mercenaries and firepower
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2022-01-06 at 06:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Thumbs up Re: The Book of Boba Fett - First Trailer

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing besides Boba not actually being there or being based there you mean? He was sent there by the Mayor, don't forget, and there is no indication that he otherwise had any plans to go there.

Furthermore, if as you say they are there to dispute territory or establish authority, they STILL come off as weak because Boba basically told them to shove off, and they backed down. So either they were totally unprepared to actually do the thing they came to do, or Boba basically caught them off guard and they left rather than risk a confrontation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    At no point do they ever present that they are there for any other reason. They encounter him out in the open, in front of presumably a major business in Mos Espa, where a shootout would be ill-advised, regardless of their ability to win or not.

Again, I'm going to accept what we have seen. I'm not going to assume, for example, that some they were sent by the Pykes after years of being forced to pay for traversing the desert and Fett finally being easily findable, even though that could technically possibly be the case.

Instead, I'm going to assume that the Hutts who gave no indication of wanting anything not related to talking to Fett, and who turned around and left as soon as the discussion ended, had other plans they never spoke of and abandoned completely for no reason whatsoever and also had tried to kill him by hiring assassins. Even if this is true, there's virtually no reason to suspect it, as most of the conjecture was based on bad readings as I previously laid out. At absolute best, it would be arriving at the right location by taking the wrong path. I'm simply not going to walk down that path.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    At no point do they ever present that they are there for any other reason. They encounter him out in the open, in front of presumably a major business in Mos Espa, where a shootout would be ill-advised, regardless of their ability to win or not.

Again, I'm going to accept what we have seen. I'm not going to assume, for example, that some they were sent by the Pykes after years of being forced to pay for traversing the desert and Fett finally being easily findable, even though that could technically possibly be the case.

Instead, I'm going to assume that the Hutts who gave no indication of wanting anything not related to talking to Fett, and who turned around and left as soon as the discussion ended, had other plans they never spoke of and abandoned completely for no reason whatsoever and also had tried to kill him by hiring assassins. Even if this is true, there's virtually no reason to suspect it, as most of the conjecture was based on bad readings as I previously laid out. At absolute best, it would be arriving at the right location by taking the wrong path. I'm simply not going to walk down that path.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They did say they had plans though. They were there to assert authority over Jabba's criminal resources. That doesn't require Boba's presence, doubly so because they are apparently undecided yet on how they want to handle him personally, but it certainly becomes impossible to do once he's on the scene without starting a fight with him.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    They did say they had plans though. They were there to assert authority over Jabba's criminal resources. That doesn't require Boba's presence, doubly so because they are apparently undecided yet on how they want to handle him personally, but it certainly becomes impossible to do once he's on the scene without starting a fight with him.
    Honestly I don't see why it can't be both.

Spoiler
    Show
    Either Boba shows up to defend what he views as his territory and they get to meet with him directly, or if he doesn't show they get to make a display of control by demanding tribute from that same territory, and using their wookiee enforcer to make sure the demand is treated seriously.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Honestly I don't see why it can't be both.

Spoiler
    Show
    Either Boba shows up to defend what he views as his territory and they get to meet with him directly, or if he doesn't show they get to make a display of control by demanding tribute from that same territory, and using their wookiee enforcer to make sure the demand is treated seriously.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean it certainly can be, but Boba showing up and staring them down while threatening them is pretty much the worst case scenario for them, since it undoes all the "this is mine now" work they were doing up until then. My point here is that it seems pretty implausible to me that they would show up to what will possibly be a fight with Boba Fett if they are not specifically intending to be able to win that fight without any risk to themselves. The fact that they backed down rather than Boba indicates to me that they were not prepared for a fight with him just yet, and were therefore not anticipating his arrival on the scene.

27. - Top - End - #177

Spoiler
    Show
    I mean it certainly can be, but Boba showing up and staring them down while threatening them is pretty much the worst case scenario for them, since it undoes all the "this is mine now" work they were doing up until then. My point here is that it seems pretty implausible to me that they would show up to what will possibly be a fight with Boba Fett if they are not specifically intending to be able to win that fight without any risk to themselves. The fact that they backed down rather than Boba indicates to me that they were not prepared for a fight with him just yet, and were therefore not anticipating his arrival on the scene.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even assuming all this is actually the case (I don't necessarily agree, it seems well within lines of how Hutts act), it still lends no credence whatsoever to "the assassin lied/the mayor did not send them", which this whole thing grew out of in the first place.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I loved the part with the vision quest and the general fleshing out of the Tuskens: feared for a moment they'd lean into the "civilizing the tribals" thing too much, but it's handled quite well, respectfully even (for a fictional people).

Spoiler
    Show
    It does have some shades of the "Mightey Whitey" story beat, what with the "civilized" character learning the way of the natives and leading them to victory and the concept art at the end being a clear homage to Lawrence of Arabia, I am told. But given that the lead actor is Temuera Morrison, this is probably deliberately ironic.

Spoiler
    Show
    As for the quest themselves: if every Tusken goes through the process of going out to break off a large branch from one of few trees ever present in the Dune Sea, while high, that does explain their general hardiness as a people, even as it raises countless further questions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder if the trees really are in the Dune Sea, and the trip doesn't allow the Tusken to access some other world (as in realm of being, not physical planet). They might even be taken back to Tatooine's distant past.

Also, now that we have a spice-induced vision, I am suspecting Favreau of trying to slip in as many Dune references as he can.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Spoiler
    Show
    The artwork shown at the end shows Jawas present when Boba reaches the tree. obviously that was scrapped….
    Spoiler: Red Eyes
    Show
    We did see red eyes in the tree when Fett first sees it, and we’ve seen red-eyed jawas, so I’m thinking the eyes were meant to be jawas.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, the bit about oceans drying, that's from Legends, isn't it? Where did the water even go?
    Spoiler: Up & Away
    Show
    I don’t know the canonical explanation, but when Mars lost its oceans, they evaporated into space. Something similar might have happened on Tatooine.

That said, Mars lost its atmo before its oceans, which would be the wrong sequence for what we see on Tatooine, so there may well be another mechanism at work here.

Spoiler
    Show
    How does he not die of heat is beyond me, though.
    Spoiler: Beating the Heat
    Show
    In one of the Star Wars visual guides dealing with Tatooine, there was a device called a “coolth generator,” which was how slightly wealthier locals could deal with the heat. Wouldn’t be surprised if Black K has a couple of these on his person.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, the Tuskens pilfering weapons from the Pykes made me think of Darth and Droids.
    Spoiler: D&D
    Show
    I carry all the blasters so we can sell them later.

Last edited by Palanan; 2022-01-07 at 09:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #180

Spoiler: Up & Away
    Show
    I don’t know the canonical explanation, but when Mars lost its oceans, they evaporated into space. Something similar might have happened on Tatooine.

That said, Mars lost its atmo before its oceans, which would be the wrong sequence for what we see on Tatooine, so there may well be another mechanism at work here.
    You ever play KOTOR? Because it's amazing and you totally should if you haven't.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-07 at 10:02 AM.