PDA

View Full Version : How about that Valve and/or Steam, eh?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

chiasaur11
2009-08-10, 12:17 PM
And yet another TFs & Valve thread reaches fifty pages.

So...

New thread.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-10, 12:23 PM
Can I suggest a new much less vauge title before it's too late?

KBF
2009-08-10, 01:24 PM
I don't think the title is all that vague.

...Valve are money-grubbing corporate suits and Steam is a buggy useless and worthless virus-causing pyramid scheme. And I'm totally not being sarcastic here guys, so go ahead and flame me like morons!

Bryn
2009-08-10, 01:25 PM
We should probably include links to all the previous Steam/Valve/Orange Box/TF2 threads in the first post, although it's probably not as important as it is for the Dominic Deegan threads.

Dispozition
2009-08-10, 04:04 PM
On the topic of last thread, as a 'career' (hah!) medic (almost 60 hours now), I find that anchoring to a target just gets you killed quicker. Most of the time I'll heal one person more than others, but I won't heal them and only them. If they're a demoman and the uber needs to go to a pyro, I'll uber the pyro. If there's a scout burning while he's running past I'll put him out. It's just common sense. If you heal other people as well you get your uber a lot quicker.

potatocubed
2009-08-10, 04:24 PM
In case anyone else hadn't seen these movies yet:

Sandvich Gun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFD98U90MEw)
Moments with Heavy - Heavy Orders an Xbox 360 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIf3kzXLu2Q)

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-10, 04:30 PM
On the topic of last thread, as a 'career' (hah!) medic (almost 60 hours now), I find that anchoring to a target just gets you killed quicker. Most of the time I'll heal one person more than others, but I won't heal them and only them. If they're a demoman and the uber needs to go to a pyro, I'll uber the pyro. If there's a scout burning while he's running past I'll put him out. It's just common sense. If you heal other people as well you get your uber a lot quicker.

This is what I normally do, but as a medic, things are not always cut and dry, unfortunetely. If im the only medic on the team, then I generally wont pocket heal. But sometimes pocket healing is the best thing to do. I judge each character based on how well they do when having a pocket medic and then I stick on them if they do well. A decent Demo/Solly/Heavy with a pocket medic who knows what he is doing can be the backbone of an offence or defence- I dont need to jump around healing people if all the oppoents are dead.

On the topic of medicing, which I do alot, I have noticed a common trend: Yelling at the medic if you burn to death. 'Specially Scoots. It's rather annoying. I want a reverse medic call. It goes like this.

I'm busy healing the guy killing everyone, please leave a message after the tone.

Player_Zero
2009-08-10, 05:24 PM
Heh. Building up uber charges and using them on snipers.

KBF
2009-08-10, 06:03 PM
On the topic of medicing, which I do alot, I have noticed a common trend: Yelling at the medic if you burn to death. 'Specially Scoots. It's rather annoying. I want a reverse medic call. It goes like this.

I'm busy healing the guy killing everyone, please leave a message after the tone.

...Unless you are healing a Heavy that is currently tanking damage, pulling a few points of overheal from that Pyro for a second won't kill him and will save a burning scout/soldier/sniper.

Ziren
2009-08-10, 06:15 PM
Heh. Building up uber charges and using them on snipers.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but this IS how you play 2Fort.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-10, 06:20 PM
...Unless you are healing a Heavy that is currently tanking damage, pulling a few points of overheal from that Pyro for a second won't kill him and will save a burning scout/soldier/sniper.

If the damn scout knows that running in circles around me and double jumping isn't the way to get my attention. To many people play like they're actually on fire. It may burn a bit, but standing still and calling medic is much more likely to get me to save you than running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

I wish more people would realize this. I often find myself the only medic on a 14-16 man team...you'd think they at least try to make my life easier.

Dispozition
2009-08-10, 06:31 PM
This is what I normally do, but as a medic, things are not always cut and dry, unfortunetely. If im the only medic on the team, then I generally wont pocket heal. But sometimes pocket healing is the best thing to do. I judge each character based on how well they do when having a pocket medic and then I stick on them if they do well. A decent Demo/Solly/Heavy with a pocket medic who knows what he is doing can be the backbone of an offence or defence- I dont need to jump around healing people if all the oppoents are dead.
Taking the beam off your killing buddy for 2 seconds won't kill him. If he's on low health, certainly don't but if he's over healed and not being killed point blank by a heavy he can probably manage himself long enough for you to heal the pyro next to him and get assistance from both of them.

This is stupid. The only time I object to someone calling for medic is when they're on full health. This still applies to Soldiers and Demomen, but I'm willing to accept it for them if they say they want overheal for a jump over mic. If someone is burning, it's obvious they want to be put out. I'd prefer to be bombarded with medic calls rather than have them steal my health packs.

@Djinn: Exactly! Why scouts run and jump around when they're on fire and want healing I don't know. Although, I'm guilty for doing it as Medic, but that's a side effect of needing to always be moving to protect myself.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-08-10, 06:43 PM
On the topic of medicing, which I do alot, I have noticed a common trend: Yelling at the medic if you burn to death. 'Specially Scoots. It's rather annoying.

Yeah when I am about to die the last thing I ever do is call medic. Wouldn't want to bother him with my dying or anything. Not like its his job to save me or anything.

Morrandir
2009-08-10, 07:05 PM
Yeah when I am about to die the last thing I ever do is call medic. Wouldn't want to bother him with my dying or anything. Not like its his job to save me or anything.

I believe he was referring to when the following happens:

*Scout bounds around, jumping and sprinting madly while a Medic tries vainly to get the medigun on him*

*Scout burns to death mid-air*

"OMG U STUPD MEDIC Y U LET MY DIE OMG MY TEAM SUX"

...*facepalm*

Myatar_Panwar
2009-08-10, 07:29 PM
Oh I see. That makes more sense. Somehow I replaced "yell" with "hit e". Sorry

Although I don't think I have ever heard someone verbally chew out a medic because of it.

Dogmantra
2009-08-10, 07:35 PM
Although I don't think I have ever heard someone verbally chew out a medic because of it.

It is always the Medic's fault. You died because the medic wouldn't run in front of a Kritzed enemy Heavy to heal you? Medic's fault. You're a scout, the medic was Ubercharging a Heavy, and you died? Medic's fault. You rocket jumped on 4 hp? Medic's fault. You lagged? Medic's fault. Your wallet was stolen? Medic's fault.
The correct course of action is to mic-spam at them.

I am a bitter, bitter man.

The Linker
2009-08-10, 07:49 PM
@Djinn: Exactly! Why scouts run and jump around when they're on fire and want healing I don't know. Although, I'm guilty for doing it as Medic, but that's a side effect of needing to always be moving to protect myself.

But that's exactly why Scouts do it too! Running circles around the Medic certainly isn't the best option, but a Scout never stands still (unless he's trying to whittle down a sentry with his pistol). I usually do my best to do my running around in one 30 degree segment of the Medic's view, so I can avoid death and he can still catch me easily.

Sometimes it's hard to control yourself, as a burning Scout. You just came out of a hotspot which involved, at the minimum, being close to a Pyro.* That's a lot of adrenaline to burn off.**

*Well, ok, I guess random flares are an option too.

**Ba-dum tssh!

Rutskarn
2009-08-10, 09:10 PM
If I can only turn this into a virus somehow, Faulty is finished for good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qy0KULCoGw&feature=related

The Linker
2009-08-10, 10:43 PM
So, Phase and Balthasar and I played a custom L4D map called Powerstation. It fails almost every 'Valve guideline' to a good gaming experience, but it was still pretty fun. I have a replay, which features, among other things, Phase Running Into A Laser Grid Followed By The Linker Running Into The Same Laser Grid Shortly Thereafter. I only have the third section -- I wasn't recording for the first two sections, and we couldn't get the fourth and fifth section to work. I even put on 'voice_loopback' eventually, so you can hear the generic teenager voice Phase and Balthasar are responding to and putting up with.

I forget what site I put the demo file up on, though. Was it Rapidshare? My computer's far too slow to record it to AVI and put it on Youtube, sadly. :smallfrown:

Rutskarn
2009-08-10, 10:46 PM
Sorry I couldn't jam with y'all, but I need to get that map downloaded. Some other time, I really need to roll with the GitPers. Maybe show off my crownin' skills.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-10, 10:53 PM
I believe he was referring to when the following happens:

*Scout bounds around, jumping and sprinting madly while a Medic tries vainly to get the medigun on him*

*Scout burns to death mid-air*

"OMG U STUPD MEDIC Y U LET MY DIE OMG MY TEAM SUX"

...*facepalm*

Oh, so you were there?
Or were you the scout?

Kyouhen
2009-08-10, 10:56 PM
Sorry I couldn't jam with y'all, but I need to get that map downloaded. Some other time, I really need to roll with the GitPers. Maybe show off my crownin' skills.

Most awesome part was earlier on that map during our first attempt. Not sure if Linker got it. We ride on a train car HL1-style while hordes pour in from both sides. A tank spawned halfway through from behind us and couldn't catch up with the train. We killed him off easily enough. We reach the other end and the train stops, and another tank shows up. I have the bright idea to send the train going back before the tank reaches us so we can kill it easily again. Things go horribly wrong and ends with me chasing after the train with... I think it was Phase... being the only person still on it and being torn up by a hunter. Turns out the train is faster than the survivors too. :smalltongue:

The Linker
2009-08-10, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I was also dying on the ground at that time, but not on the cart. It was quite funny, watching Balthasar's outline run down the dark tunnel after the quickly retreating Phase-and-Hunter outline. :smallbiggrin:

There was a similar moment before the cart got to the end, where a Hunter (the same one?) managed to jump on Louis (the only NPC), pull him off the cart and ravage him while the rest of us scooted along.

"Uh... OK, someone go save him."

*radio silence*

Phase
2009-08-10, 11:23 PM
Things go horribly wrong and ends with me chasing after the train with... I think it was Phase... being the only person still on it and being torn up by a hunter. Turns out the train is faster than the survivors too. :smalltongue:

I wasn't exactly ON the cart. I think "under" or "Being dragged along by my leg" would be better descriptions.

Kyouhen
2009-08-10, 11:35 PM
I wasn't exactly ON the cart. I think "under" or "Being dragged along by my leg" would be better descriptions.

It was dark. All I could see was your outline above the ground being eaten. As far as I'm concerned you were on the cart. :smalltongue:

Worira
2009-08-11, 12:19 AM
So, the muscle car in episode 2 really needs a trunk.

KBF
2009-08-11, 12:22 AM
If the damn scout knows that running in circles around me and double jumping isn't the way to get my attention. To many people play like they're actually on fire. It may burn a bit, but standing still and calling medic is much more likely to get me to save you than running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Usually that's the Scout's survival instinct to desperately avoid getting ambushed when their already meager 125 hp is whittled down to 15 and they are actively burning to death. Standing still means some Pyro notices a burning scout and instinctively 1-shots him with a simple shotgun blast. It's annoying for the medic but it's hard to stand still when moving really quickly is the only reason you can survive. Yelling at the medic is entirely unjustified, but you have to understand why they keep jumping.

They are about to die, typical response is to move. Even if they know the medic will have a hard time healing them, that is the point that they need to be moving the most. It's an incredibly awful situation for both parties, but the medic isn't going to have to wait that 20 second respawn.

Optimystik
2009-08-11, 12:27 AM
It is always the Medic's fault. You died because the medic wouldn't run in front of a Kritzed enemy Heavy to heal you? Medic's fault. You're a scout, the medic was Ubercharging a Heavy, and you died? Medic's fault. You rocket jumped on 4 hp? Medic's fault. You lagged? Medic's fault. Your wallet was stolen? Medic's fault.
The correct course of action is to mic-spam at them.

I am a bitter, bitter man.

I laugh through my tears. Some things are just universal in gaming. (Think rogues/mages in a WoW PuG.)

The Linker
2009-08-11, 12:29 AM
Usually that's the Scout's survival instinct to desperately avoid getting ambushed when their already meager 125 hp is whittled down to 15 and they are actively burning to death. Standing still means some Pyro notices a burning scout and instinctively 1-shots him with a simple shotgun blast. It's annoying for the medic but it's hard to stand still when moving really quickly is the only reason you can survive. Yelling at the medic is entirely unjustified, but you have to understand why they keep jumping.

They are about to die, typical response it to move. Even if they know the medic will have a hard time healing them, that is the point that they need to be moving the most. It's an incredibly awful situation for both parties, but the medic isn't going to have to wait that 20 second respawn.

Man, that's so much better than what I said.

Morrandir
2009-08-11, 12:54 AM
Oh, so you were there?
Or were you the scout?

Let's just say I speak from experience, Medic-side.

Similar experiences include being yelled at for popping either kind of uber when I hit 50 or less HP, having the audacity to stop healing someone to kill a spy said someone is completely oblivious to, and for being deep in enemy territory, alone, because the group I went in with has all been killed off, leaving me in an advantageous position... if I was any other class.

KBF
2009-08-11, 01:32 AM
Man, that's so much better than what I said.

I.. I don't think anyone has ever muttered anything resembling what you meant just there. To me. I'm.. Kind of in shock.

I guess I did spend 15 minutes on it.

Fawkes
2009-08-11, 02:00 AM
If I can only turn this into a virus somehow, Faulty is finished for good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qy0KULCoGw&feature=related

God, I hate that dance. Curse you, Japan.

NeoVid
2009-08-11, 02:40 AM
I was on a randomized weapon/class server (fun on occasion) and I think I accidentally started a meme.

I got Heavy with Medigun during setup. So a solid minute of jokes about "Doctor Heavy" started. Beginning with:

Doctor Heavy, MD just learned how to spell "MD."

I will be disappointed in the rest of you if you can't think of many more.

I now wish I could make sprays.

KBF
2009-08-11, 03:33 AM
God, I hate that dance. Curse you, Japan.

We sure do have a ton of haters on this board.

I guess I have to go look even harder for some Hare Hare Yukai sprays now. Or that one Motteke! Sailor Fuku spray I'm sure I've seen somewhere... I swear someone went through and deleted them off the face of the internet. I blame Faulty.

Morrandir
2009-08-11, 04:43 AM
I was on a randomized weapon/class server (fun on occasion) and I think I accidentally started a meme.

I got Heavy with Medigun during setup. So a solid minute of jokes about "Doctor Heavy" started. Beginning with:

Doctor Heavy, MD just learned how to spell "MD."

I will be disappointed in the rest of you if you can't think of many more.

I now wish I could make sprays.

Did someone say Dr. Heavy? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUzCeCXtcKQ)

In other news, I found the X-COM $15 pack. There goes August.

Player_Zero
2009-08-11, 08:08 AM
Did someone say Dr. Heavy? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUzCeCXtcKQ)

Brilliant.

potatocubed
2009-08-11, 08:43 AM
So, something I noticed I could sometimes do with my pyro last night: compression blast jumping.

It worked on some servers and not on others - is this a server config thing or do I just need to practice more?

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-11, 08:55 AM

...Valve are money-grubbing corporate suits and Steam is a buggy useless and worthless virus-causing pyramid scheme. And I'm totally not being sarcastic here guys, so go ahead and flame me like morons!

You jest, right?

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-11, 08:59 AM
So I've been playing the No Heroes servers with the best official and unofficial CP maps, and the same for Payload Race. Does anyone know of a similiar server for CTF maps, with the three official ones and all the best fanmade ones?

Edit: Nevermind. Turns out No Heroes do one of them too. :smallredface:

On a less humiliating note, what are people's favourite Meet the Team videos?

Jibar
2009-08-11, 12:16 PM
Meet the Sniper. He's my favourite character and his parental issues are hilarious.

Oh, these (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kilorat&view=videos) are some of the funniest Team Fortress videos I've seen.

Dogmantra
2009-08-11, 01:09 PM
Either Meet the Spy or Meet the Sniper. Either way, "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... what's the difference? One's a job, the other's a psychopath" is my favourite quote from all of TF2.

TheLogman
2009-08-11, 01:17 PM
I hate snipers.

Part of it is that whole "Encounter radius" thing. I don't ever feel that I'm "in combat" with a sniper, just dead via sniper.

And I'm a terrible spy and a terrible sniper, so I never get them back.

That does not stop me, however, from absolutely loving the "Meet the Sniper" video.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-11, 01:18 PM
Steam = DRM

No thanks.

Rutskarn
2009-08-11, 01:24 PM
Steam = DRM

No thanks.

Say what you will about Steam DRM, but it's about a thousand times better than the alternative and it actually provides a service for its inconvenience. I'd rather see EA move towards this model than persist in their insanity.

The Linker
2009-08-11, 01:32 PM
Either Meet the Spy or Meet the Sniper. Either way, "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... what's the difference? One's a job, the other's a psychopath" is my favourite quote from all of TF2.

How can it be your favorite quote if you get the best part wrong? "One's a job, the other's mental sickness!" :smallbiggrin:

Dragor
2009-08-11, 01:32 PM
Oh, these (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kilorat&view=videos) are some of the funniest Team Fortress videos I've seen.

Agreed! The Sandvich Fakeout is definitely my favourite, along with Some Random Girl (I think it's her, anyway) chewing out the enemy team and then Billy Mays interrupting.

I haven't played near enough TF2 lately, really want to get back into it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-11, 01:37 PM
Say what you will about Steam DRM, but it's about a thousand times better than the alternative and it actually provides a service for its inconvenience. I'd rather see EA move towards this model than persist in their insanity.

Only it keeps people from borrowing a game from a friend, getting hooked on it, and going out to buy it for themselves.

Still don't like it.

It also completely hoses 2nd hand sales, because the code in the box has already been used, so no one else can use it, even if they legitimately purchase the software.

Kyouhen
2009-08-11, 01:46 PM
Only it keeps people from borrowing a game from a friend, getting hooked on it, and going out to buy it for themselves.

Still don't like it.

It also completely hoses 2nd hand sales, because the code in the box has already been used, so no one else can use it, even if they legitimately purchase the software.

Nothing wrong with hosing 2nd hand sales. Personally I've stopped buying anything from EB Games simply because they keep replacing more and more new games on the shelves with used ones. It may be cheaper to buy them used, but the company that made the game sees none of that money.

NeoVid
2009-08-11, 01:47 PM
I hate snipers.

Part of it is that whole "Encounter radius" thing. I don't ever feel that I'm "in combat" with a sniper, just dead via sniper.

One of Valve's specific goals with the Huntsman was to put a stop to that feeling.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-11, 01:50 PM

Still don't like it.

Well, you could always give your friend access to your account. Unless for some reason you can't trust your friend, in which case why are you trusting them with a game to begin with. If you really wanted to be paranoid, you could always start a new steam account for each purchased game (in which case you could resell them) to prevent your 'friend' from going "LOL I CHANGE YUR PASS I OWNZ YUR GAMES NOW ALL OF THEM"

Steam's whole "Oh hey you can use our chat system and even browse the web even while playing fullscreen games" is extremely convienent.

As a "EVIL DRM EEEVIL" system, Steam is fairly lax. I personally find it quite nice to know that no matter where I go or what I do, as long as I remember I'm shadow_archmagi and my password is SuperToucan, I'll have access to my entire games collection.

The only time its function as a DRM would at all cause conflict would be if you wanted to play a game on a computer that wasn't in a net-saturated area.

Personally, I feel that the I'm more likely to see a day when I think "I sure wish I hadn't dropped those bricks onto my CD collection. Now I can't play any of those games ever again unless I pay for them an additional time." than a day when I think "Oh curses I am without internet and therefore unable to use my precious TF2!" (admittedly, the second scenario is more likely, but internet tends to come back within a few hours of crashing, wheras I'm still waiting on my Warcraft 3 CD to do that.)

TheLogman
2009-08-11, 01:55 PM
Meh, I go offline and play Half Life 2 all the time.

Honestly, Steam's not really invasive as far as DRM goes anyway. I can install my games as many times as I like on whatever computer I like.

It sells the games to the person, then you can do whatever you want. Instead of just selling the ability to play the games like some download companies do, or selling the game disk that can get damaged. Yeah, it's not as assured as a CD is, but a password protected guaranteed account is just as good for me.

Dogmantra
2009-08-11, 02:02 PM
How can it be your favorite quote if you get the best part wrong? "One's a job, the other's mental sickness!" :smallbiggrin:

So that's what it is! It's been niggling at the back of my brain for a while now... I couldn't be bothered to rewatch the entire video though.

The Linker
2009-08-11, 02:03 PM
...as long as I remember I'm shadow_archmagi and my password is SuperToucan...

Brb, changing your pass and ownzing you games now all of them.

Fawkes
2009-08-11, 02:07 PM
I can haz account theft?

Yes, you may.

Erloas
2009-08-11, 02:07 PM

Still don't like it.

If you trust your friends you can still lend them Steam games, all you do is give them your Steam account information. I've done it with my brother a few times. Of course since only one person can use a Steam account at a time it gives them a reason to purchase said game as well. If you just lend it to them there is nothing stopping them from simply keeping the game and never buying their own copy.

Used software sales are also questionable because there is nothing to stop the first person from never having removed it from their computer in the first place. Unlike something like a used car or lawn mower there isn't a discrete usable lifespan on software and nothing physically required to use it.
In reality, as far as the company making the software and their publishers are concerned it makes absolutely no difference at all if you buy the game used from EB for $15 or download a torrent of the file. Either way multiple people are playing a game that only 1 person paid for. Of course there are CD/DVD checks, but they are just a very simple (and I find very annoying) form of DRM that is very easily bypassed.

The fact that Steam never requires a CD/DVD and can be installed (and some files can be synced, not sure about saved games though, but settings at least) on multiple computers without problems makes it rather convenient. Its also not possible to loose the discs or have them destroyed when using Steam.

Rutskarn
2009-08-11, 02:24 PM
Hey, Shadow, you've got Empire: Total War! Mind if I steal your password and hijack your account?

(Seriously, if that is your real password, take it down, dude. And you people who quoted him scrub it out as well.)

ALSO: RE: Doctor Heavy:

I told you this administration would lead to socialized medicine.

The Linker
2009-08-11, 02:32 PM
(Seriously, if that is your real password, take it down, dude. And you people who quoted him scrub it out as well.)

Well, I'm reallllly hoping he wouldn't be, uh, daring enough to do that. If he is, I'm not quite sure how he still has his account...

TheLogman
2009-08-11, 02:45 PM
I have discovered an internal microphone and an out-ternal webcam came with my laptop.

I'm not quite sure how well it works, and my family doesn't take well to me yelling things across the house regarding ubers and such, but at night or when I can find some time alone I may use the microphone.

So that's fun.

EDIT: Hey, what's the ruling on playing music or video audio or the like over the Lawful or Chaotic airstreams there? Is it one of those servers where that's considered mic spam? Because I have had some awesome times with music or hilarious stylings being piped into various multiplayer games, but never in the d20 servers, and I think a rule about that may have something to do with it.

Jibar
2009-08-11, 02:50 PM
If it's like mine, it'll be... serviceable. Not exactly great but it'll do what differentit needs to.
Similarly, getting on I am twigged playing on this laptop. It's much more sensitive, runs better but has the odd connection problem, and the keyboard is so different it makes playing a totally different experience.
Also, it doesn't copy favourites across and I can't find the quick switch option. This dumbfounds me in many ways.

Also: I need a new spray, at least for the laptop. Somebody make a Cat-Muffin suggestion.

Rutskarn
2009-08-11, 02:51 PM
I have discovered an internal microphone and an out-ternal webcam came with my laptop.

I'm not quite sure how well it works, and my family doesn't take well to me yelling things across the house regarding ubers and such, but at night or when I can find some time alone I may use the microphone.

So that's fun.

EDIT: Hey, what's the ruling on playing music or video audio or the like over the Lawful or Chaotic airstreams there? Is it one of those servers where that's considered mic spam? Because I have had some awesome times with music or hilarious stylings being piped into various multiplayer games, but never in the d20 servers, and I think a rule about that may have something to do with it.

The admins pipe in music on special occasions, like appropriate music for class-only bouts, but we'd probably prefer you not just randomly blast in songs unless it's really funny.

Fawkes
2009-08-11, 02:56 PM
I remember one time someone was playing the Fallout 3 soundtrack over their mic, which was pretty funny, except they were playing it so loud you couldn't hear anything else.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-11, 03:03 PM
Oh, right, sorry. That was my OLD pass from last year. This year's is "Ted Decker 303983752." Sorry for the inconvenience. Also, I do have two questions about the steam system.

1. Say I set my computer to "Offline Mode," causing Steam to authorize that computer to play offline at the expense of any other computer being able to access Steam. Then my computer bursts into flame. What's the protocol for saying "I realize I have a computer set to offline mode but I can't get net access with it so there's no way to set Steam into Online mode again"?

2. What if I want my Steam games on a computer that isn't going to have access to the net now OR ever? Can I install Steam (and the relevant game(s)) to my flash drive, set it to offline mode, and then carry it to the new computer and play?

Rutskarn
2009-08-11, 03:22 PM
Phase and I were gonna go play a round of Powerstation on L4D, just as soon as I download the darn thing.

Anyone else on board?

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-11, 03:37 PM
I have boarded.

TheLogman
2009-08-11, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I'd be way into that.

Oh hey, I gotta warn you though, I get totally lost the first time I run through any given map.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-11, 04:07 PM
Oh, right, sorry. That was my OLD pass from last year. This year's is "Ted Decker 303983752." Sorry for the inconvenience. Also, I do have two questions about the steam system.

1. Say I set my computer to "Offline Mode," causing Steam to authorize that computer to play offline at the expense of any other computer being able to access Steam. Then my computer bursts into flame. What's the protocol for saying "I realize I have a computer set to offline mode but I can't get net access with it so there's no way to set Steam into Online mode again"?

2. What if I want my Steam games on a computer that isn't going to have access to the net now OR ever? Can I install Steam (and the relevant game(s)) to my flash drive, set it to offline mode, and then carry it to the new computer and play?

You can still log into Steam even if another computer is logged in "offline mode" Also IIRC you can install it on a flash drive. I think i remember a friend doing that for Plants vs Zombies.

Archangel Yuki
2009-08-11, 04:47 PM
New classless update on TF2!

NEW HATS!!!!!!! ^___________________________________^

tf2.com!

EDIT: http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/

A viking helmet? A fireman Helmet?

A bowler hat!
My dream of creating a Firefly/TF2 Machinma are coming true! I can do it now!

I HAVE THE POWER!

"This mountaintop arena also boasts a sheer cliff face encircling the battleground, giving you the chance to help your opponents improve their tactics. Specifically, anyone you blast over the side will get some time to think about the various flaws in their “standing next to the edge of a cliff” strategy as they plummet to an excruciating, non-respawnable death."

Ziren
2009-08-11, 04:53 PM
New classless update on TF2!

NEW HATS!!!!!!! ^___________________________________^

tf2.com!

I love the bowler. But I can't hope to ever obtain it...

Rutskarn
2009-08-11, 05:11 PM
I have boarded.

Make sure to upload that video. And link to it here.

Player_Zero
2009-08-11, 05:31 PM
Bowler would be nice. But arena map? Seriously? Arena? Surely they know no one actually plays arena.

NeoVid
2009-08-11, 05:31 PM
Bowler would be nice. But arena map? Seriously? Arena? Surely they know no one actually plays arena.

That's why they keep bringing out new maps for it, so there might be a second one people really like.

This reminds me I need to play arena more. The first Grinder had some arena rounds... we've got to do that again.

Also, even if they don't change how we get hats, at least this triples your chances.

Just like buying three lottery tickets triples your chances.

Also, HEAVY COSSACK HAT YEAH

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-11, 06:02 PM
So, I've been listening to alot of BONK/BOINK remixes recently. How do you people like seem? I figured I'd ask cause you guys actually have the game.

This one's my favorite. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEn2smJoul8)

Fawkes
2009-08-11, 06:22 PM
Okay, now I really, REALLY hope they make hats easier to find. I want the Ushanka! And the Cowboy Hat!

Here's what else I'm hoping we get:

Pyro: Welder's Mask (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_z4-74ev0oGM/Ru5d6-9ej8I/AAAAAAAAAhQ/puoW6Zm76wQ/s400/welding+mask.jpg)
Medic: Red Cross Helmet (http://www.warelics.com/images/navalmedicR.jpg) and Doctor's Reflector (http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/255/PreviewComp/SuperStock_255-12762.jpg)
Sniper: Pith Helmet (http://www.argoss.co.uk/pictures/pith_helmet.jpg)
Engineer: Mustache (http://temple.fpsbanana.com/ss/srends/68698a.jpg)
Anyone: Three Top Hats (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/images/01_background.jpg)

TheLogman
2009-08-11, 06:40 PM
So wait, I got a little confused here.

The update itself is "classless", in and of that no particular class is being updated.

But it is still going to be mostly (Probably all, except for maps) class-specific content, right?

All the hats are still just for one class, and all the other updates are probably those other options that those beta testers were doing eh?

Jahkaivah
2009-08-11, 06:40 PM
I wonder what these (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/advertisement/) could (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/enigmatical/) mean (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/barbary/). Edit: Oh and one more. (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/hats/)

So wait, I got a little confused here.

The update itself is "classless", in and of that no particular class is being updated.

But it is still going to be mostly (Probably all, except for maps) class-specific content, right?

All the hats are still just for one class, and all the other updates are probably those other options that those beta testers were doing eh?

Of course, we could have Valve suddenly reveal the update was actually for a class this whole time.

TheLogman
2009-08-11, 06:45 PM
Either Valve is incredibly silly...

ORRRR

THERE'S SECRET HIDDEN MESSAGE!!!

-Mention of Soldier
-Mention of diseases and poisons? Perhaps the special infection things and such are coming back?
-Child Labor?
-Fisticuffs?
-Maybe the pyro was a child laborer, who, traumatized by her experiences working in the coal plant where the fires were her only companion, eventually learned the trade of the flame from some grandmaster of the fire, and then went to join the mercenaries, keeping the ever heated heart of hers warm with the sweet, sweet glow of killing?

Rutskarn
2009-08-11, 06:45 PM
I wonder what these (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/advertisement/) could (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/enigmatical/) mean (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/barbary/).

Phase has theorized that the last page means you can fight for hats. I, for one, believe him.

Dogmantra
2009-08-11, 06:49 PM
-Mention of diseases and poisons? Perhaps the special infection things and such are coming back?
-Child Labor?
-Fisticuffs?

These all make me think that there might be a new class, but that's just wild speculation. Phase's theory makes more sense.

Jahkaivah
2009-08-11, 06:50 PM
Phase has theorized that the last page means you can fight for hats. I, for one, believe him.

Given that last one I found in the edit I also suspect item trading is being implemented.

Worira
2009-08-11, 06:53 PM
One of those sure does look like the soldier is getting a musket and poison-launcher.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-11, 07:07 PM
these (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/advertisement/)

Am I the only one who is not able to see anything on this page?

Morrandir
2009-08-11, 07:08 PM
Using my powers of English-teacher-in-training, here's my predictions:

A) You can now gamble items.
B) You can wear multiple hats at once.
C) You can steal hats.
D) Soldier is next update.

Fawkes
2009-08-11, 07:53 PM
Am I the only one who is not able to see anything on this page?

I can't either. The other three work fine, though.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-11, 08:27 PM
While I realize I am probably alone here, I must say I am very excited for the new Arena map. I love Arena. :smallbiggrin: One of my favourite things about it is the atmosphere. Due to its nature everyone chats and jokes around a lot and it's all very social, which I don't see as much in other modes. So yeah, definitely looking forward to that. Also, the viking helmet is awesome.

Incidentally, how did you find those hidden pages?

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-11, 08:45 PM
I dunno.

I play forum games exlusively (which is to say, whenever I want a game, I tell the entire forum to log onto my 10 person server. This sounds wrong, but it isn't, because I know that with 50 gitp players on, only 10 of them will be at their keyboards at all, and so I'm lucky to get four Gitpers. Which is why I have another forum to recruit from as well) so the chatting and joking happens nonstop regardless of arena.

I dislike arena for the obvious reasons (BEING DEAD IS BORIN. THE ENTIRE GAME IS RUINED BY ONE CRIT. ETC) but also simply because I like the flow of a normal game. I like to rush onto a point against all odds to try to halfway cap it to set up for the next guy.

KBF
2009-08-11, 08:47 PM
One of those sure does look like the soldier is getting a musket and poison-launcher.

Biological warfare would be cruel. In the genuinely cruel way, not the Jarate way. I hope they aren't doing that. It's also incredibly lame. I mean, seriously. Real soldiers don't use poison, it's cowardly and dishonest.

Fawkes
2009-08-11, 09:14 PM
One of my favourite things about it is the atmosphere. Due to its nature everyone chats and jokes around a lot and it's all very social, which I don't see as much in other modes.
I play forum games exlusively (which is to say, whenever I want a game, I tell the entire forum to log onto my 10 person server. This sounds wrong, but it isn't, because I know that with 50 gitp players on, only 10 of them will be at their keyboards at all, and so I'm lucky to get four Gitpers. Which is why I have another forum to recruit from as well) so the chatting and joking happens nonstop regardless of arena.

Try playing on the d20 servers. It seems like there's always someone from GitP on there. The server has alltalk, so it's pretty chatty too.

TheLogman
2009-08-11, 09:21 PM
KBF, the first Team Fortress had quite a few more status effects than the current one, including an "infection" that the medic could spread when he trained his healing on enemies, tranq bullets the sniper could shoot, and at least one kind of poison gas grenade.

Just saying, it wouldn't contradict the source material.

Rutskarn
2009-08-11, 09:24 PM
Biological warfare would be cruel. In the genuinely cruel way, not the Jarate way. I hope they aren't doing that. It's also incredibly lame. I mean, seriously. Real soldiers don't use poison, it's cowardly and dishonest.

"Real" soldiers care about winning and making the other soldiers die. Bravery and honesty are worth only as much as they contribute to the war effort.

One way or the other, you're killing people. A sword to the throat is just as lethal as a bullet to the head is as lethal as a lungful of mustard gas.

The Linker
2009-08-11, 10:23 PM
One of my favourite things about it is the atmosphere. Due to its nature everyone chats and jokes around a lot and it's all very social, which I don't see as much in other modes.

That's odd, I've never been in an Arena game like that. Arena would definitely be much improved with lots of people talking and having fun, even while they're dead.

It's also much improved with having a professional commentator on the server. That was a fun few matches. :smallamused:

Honestly, I find Arena REALLY fun under circumstances. At one point I played from about 1:00 AM to 5:00 AM on arena maps, playing as a Scout on Watchtower, Sawmill, and Nucleus. The teams were, at most, 5v5 -- which meant, among other things, that the average match time wasn't horrible.

When the map is big, teams are small, and I'm a Scout? There's much less chance for unfortunate surprises. I can run away from any fight, come back to ambush people at any time, grab the health... pretty much all my fights were on my terms. And it was freaking awesome.

Fawkes
2009-08-11, 10:43 PM
"Real" soldiers care about winning and making the other soldiers die. Bravery and honesty are worth only as much as they contribute to the war effort.

One way or the other, you're killing people. A sword to the throat is just as lethal as a bullet to the head is as lethal as a lungful of mustard gas.

Poison does seem a bit out-of-character for Soldier, though. I could see Spy or Medic, using poison, but not Soldier.

Then again, I can't really see Sniper throwing urine at people, so there you go.

KBF
2009-08-11, 10:48 PM
KBF, the first Team Fortress had quite a few more status effects than the current one, including an "infection" that the medic could spread when he trained his healing on enemies, tranq bullets the sniper could shoot, and at least one kind of poison gas grenade.

Yeah, I'm aware. Also the tranq gun was the Spy's primary weapon.

...Geneva Convention.

Also, you seem to be under a misunderstanding. Real soldiers only kill their enemies honorably, with an honorable shovel. Or making them explode is pretty honorable too. Throwing a gas 'nade and running away is decidedly cowardly. No real soldier would use that unlock.

Rutskarn
2009-08-11, 11:05 PM
...Geneva Convention.

Geneva Convention was not written by soldiers, now, was it?

Also, wow, look at all that off topic we've got here. Moving on to the pretty colors and digital fun boxes.

Worira
2009-08-12, 12:40 AM
Going for the Neighbourhood Watch achievement. I am filled with so much hate.

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 12:58 AM

That, and Get Some Grub, are the ones I gave a single disgusted look and moved on from.

I will never have enough time or patience.

Jibar
2009-08-12, 01:38 AM
Please tell me they're going to up the drop rate for hats now there's more of them.
I'm no smelly unfortunate and I'd very much like a hat sirs.

Edit: Might as well edit this in here, Captain America Soldier (http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/48957) is the best idea ever.

KBF
2009-08-12, 01:49 AM
Please tell me they're going to up the drop rate for hats now there's more of them.
I'm no smelly unfortunate and I'd very much like a hat sirs.

You are a smelly unfortunate very clearsomely because of your decided lack of headwear. I am also an underclass underachiever, and how would we know who was better than us if not by what is on their heads? If there were too many higher class citizens, then they would just be middle class and us left remaining somewhere around the same class as beggars.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-12, 02:56 AM
Try playing on the d20 servers. It seems like there's always someone from GitP on there. The server has alltalk, so it's pretty chatty too.

Yeah, I play on there pretty much solely for that reason. But my 250 or so ping is a hefty burden to bear.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-12, 04:33 AM
This new update intrigues me. I think that the Soldier will be the next update, mostly because the temptation for Engineer vs. Demoman is too awesome not to do.

Funny story; first time I saw the page, I thought that the Scout's new hat was just his bare head, and everyone was laughing at him for looking stupid.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-12, 07:53 AM
I wrenched a sentry to death the other day.

I still have no hats.

Why is there no justice!?!?!

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-12, 07:56 AM
This new update intrigues me. I think that the Soldier will be the next update, mostly because the temptation for Engineer vs. Demoman is too awesome not to do.

Funny story; first time I saw the page, I thought that the Scout's new hat was just his bare head, and everyone was laughing at him for looking stupid.

It's not a bare head?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-12, 08:10 AM
I think he's actually not wearing a hat and that's why he's angry/being laughed at.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-12, 08:18 AM
I assumed him not having the hat was the hat, as it were.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-12, 08:43 AM
I assumed him not having the hat was the hat, as it were.

Thank you for being better at phrasing your word thingies than me. That's what I meant.

I think the idea that he hasn't got a hat fits better, considering the stuff underneath and the secret stuff.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-12, 08:45 AM
These new hats intrigue me. However ultimately it will just be a new way for the RNG to snub me while I get my 5th flare gun.

potatocubed
2009-08-12, 08:59 AM
What we need is a way to duct tape all the spare flare guns together and use them as a one-shot WMD and/or rocket booster.

Dogmantra
2009-08-12, 09:02 AM
What we need is a way to duct tape all the spare flare guns together and use them as a one-shot WMD and/or rocket booster.

How about I lend you my five razorbacks to make a rocket, and you poer it with flare guns?

Five razorbacks!
FIVE.
AND NOT ONE UBERSAW!

Ghastly Epigram
2009-08-12, 09:16 AM
I'm collecting Sandmen; I have 10 so far. :smallcool:

In an ideal world, some kind of item crafting would be introduced, where you could combine weapon abilities. And then my army of Sandmen would cover TF2 in a new age of darkness. Stun Backburner, stun Huntsman, stun Natascha, stun Ambassador...

Alas, I can dream.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-12, 09:23 AM
The 360 has no new weapons. Seriously. It's upsetting. I just want some Bonk! I want some sort of anti-sentrygun defense. Seriously. Stupid unco-operative Xbox Live community.

Jahkaivah
2009-08-12, 09:27 AM
Yknow I hope Valve implement being able to shoot hats off people's heads, then I can start quoting Jägerkin philosophy :smallbiggrin:

Given how much Team Fortress 2 refrains from being like it's prequel, I would say that actually makes it less likely. Though admittedly I would have said the same thing about concussion, not that alot of people felt The Sandman was a good idea anyhow.

I can see where KBF is coming from, Soldier might be a lunatic, but he seems to be a lunatic with some twisted sense of honour. And for some reason blowing the enemy to pieces seems more honourable than poisening them.

That said however, I do think the Soldier deserves to be expanded upon personaility wise.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-12, 09:57 AM
Well, Valve did recreate a couple of TFC abilities (the Flare gun is a reference to the incinderary rocket launcher the Pyro had, and the Dead Ringer is related to the Spy's original ability to fake death), so it wouldn't be unheard of for them to release something based on that.

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 10:52 AM
I wrenched a sentry to death the other day.

I still have no hats.

Why is there no justice!?!?!

That's nothing. I once wrenched an engineer, a sentry, and a dispenser to death. All of them in the same place. While we were both at full health, and neither of us with an support of any kind.

Fun fact: that engineer was Player_Zero.

Player_Zero
2009-08-12, 11:00 AM
I don't recall this.

Incidentally, who's the better player?

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 11:11 AM
I don't recall this.

The player with the song in his heart and the spring in his step.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-12, 11:15 AM
The 360 has no new weapons. Seriously. It's upsetting. I just want some Bonk! I want some sort of anti-sentrygun defense. Seriously. Stupid unco-operative Xbox Live community.

Yeah. Microsoft is such a devil.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-12, 11:17 AM

[Insert picture of a morbidly obese 14-year old, high-voiced snot-nosed brat here. Preferably with a caption noting.
"This guy"]

TheLogman
2009-08-12, 11:22 AM
I have yet to figure out when the blot post considers it the next day.

Is there such a time? And if so, what time would that be?

(Read this as: "I REALLY WANNA SEE THE NEXT BLOG POST, WHEN WILL IT COME?"

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-12, 11:23 AM
It's been noted elsewhere, but I don't think here, but 27 hats + 27 unlockables (when all the updates are done) means that it'll be impossible to have all the items in the 50-space backpack. The chances are we'll get a different loadout screen for the hats now.

Also, I have spares of most things and the chances are that the trading will be introduced in this update, so I'm willing to trade things away.

Ziren
2009-08-12, 11:26 AM

Actually your pistol is a much better anti-sentry device than the Bonk!

Also, I have spares of most things and the chances are that the trading will be introduced in this update, so I'm willing to trade things away.

Dito, I'm always looking for more Jarate to add to my collection.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-12, 11:34 AM
I'm not hip on the mechanics - but isn't Bonk! basically 'Nah nah, your bullets can't hit me'?
That, to me, seems better than 'peashooter and hoping I don't get targetted by the time I duck back behind cover'.

Fawkes
2009-08-12, 11:43 AM
I'm not hip on the mechanics - but isn't Bonk! basically 'Nah nah, your bullets can't hit me'?
That, to me, seems better than 'peashooter and hoping I don't get targetted by the time I duck back behind cover'.

Prepare to be disappointed. In practice, BONK! doesn't really work all that well.

Dogmantra
2009-08-12, 11:45 AM
Prepare to be disappointed. In practice, BONK! doesn't really work all that well.

I seem to remember that you can't actually shoot with BONK!

Ziren
2009-08-12, 11:48 AM

Of course the Bonk! helps you get past the sentry, but the slowdown effect kills makes sure you die anyway.

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 11:53 AM
'peashooter and hoping I don't get targetted by the time I duck back behind cover'.

At medium range, your pistol does more damage than your scattergun. Conveniently, this is also the range where it's tricky for any class but Heavy to actually hit you.

Player_Zero
2009-08-12, 12:27 PM
Depends how you define 'medium range'.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-12, 12:28 PM
At medium range, your pistol does more damage than your scattergun. Conveniently, this is also the range where it's tricky for any class but Heavy to actually hit you.

This is also the range at which exactly zero percent of all encounters take place on any FPS outside of a single player campagin.
A Big part of me sometimes wishes the Scout would have kept a submachinegun instead of the scattergun.

Jahkaivah
2009-08-12, 12:31 PM
Nah BONK! isn't useless, it's just balanced for a something that is supposed to replace a pistol.

Your sentrygun is trying to take out an ubered pyro? Atleast the sentrygun is trying to hold it back instead of trying to take out some invincible scout in the corner. Whereby the pyro might as well not be ubered because he doesn't need to be.

Only thing that bothers me about the drink is why you still feeling the impact of the attacks if you are supposedly dodging them.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-12, 12:50 PM
XBL also has a critical lack of medics, at least that I've seen. And so few people actually use their headsets, so thats very much a stopgap in any sort of efective team play.
And, oh yes, I know they have headsets, because the Xbox bloody well comes with one.

I once had a medic start healing me when the enemy was turtling. As a scout, I transmitted that I'd be back real quick as a soldier, because they can actually kill at range.
So I switched classes.
Apparently, the Medic guy got taken out and decided medicing wasn't a good idea.

That must have been the only time I've seen anyone else play as a Medic.

Heavies that don't know their Medic can't help them if they duck around corners are annoying as hell. As well as whiney brats who scream when you bother to defend yourself with your needlegun instead of keeping their overheal up. Or whine becasue they were too stupid to spin up, and got ambushed by a pair of Pyros as they turned the corner and you didn't save them through sheer magic.
I know I suck, but why must I always get put on the team full of people who are also horrible?

As a solution: I play CoD4 instead and bounce flashbangs into my allies faces.

The Linker
2009-08-12, 12:59 PM
Only thing that bothers me about the drink is why you still feeling the impact of the attacks if you are supposedly dodging them.

Not to mention arrows will still impale a Bonked Scout. :smallamused:

Bonk! is sort of annoying in that there's SO MANY WAYS in which it's worse than it sounds. It doesn't make you go faster (or not very much, anyway). You get knocked around by the things you're supposed to be dodging (!?). You can't fire your weapons. You can't CHANGE your weapons. You're in third-person mode for some reason... overall, it really didn't come quite as advertised.

Kyouhen
2009-08-12, 01:04 PM
Phase and I are going to be playing some L4D Powerstation: Most Brutal Map Evar! If anyone wants to join speak now.

The Linker
2009-08-12, 01:06 PM
B-but I've already got Spaghetti cooking!

I can come in 10-15 minutes, noisily stuffing my face on voice chat. :smalltongue:

Jahkaivah
2009-08-12, 01:13 PM
B-but I've already got Spaghetti cooking!

I can come in 10-15 minutes, noisily stuffing my face on voice chat. :smalltongue:

I don't think I have ever heard you talk... I bet you have the nicest voice ever :smallsmile:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-12, 01:17 PM
Phase and I are going to be playing some L4D Powerstation: Most Brutal Map Evar! If anyone wants to join speak now.

*whimper*
At work, don't have L4D on STEAM. STEAM hates me, anyway.

The Linker
2009-08-12, 01:22 PM
I don't think I have ever heard you talk...

It's true. Playing Powerstation a few days ago, it's the first time I've really used Voice Chat in an online FPS in about 5 years. Because of the snippets of my own voice I'd hear sometime.

Then I put on Voice_Loopback so that people can hear who Phase and others are responding to when watching my demos. Talk about facing the issue head on. :smallamused:

Kyouhen
2009-08-12, 01:22 PM
Well it looks like our extra spots have been claimed by Bryn and Nano. This is going to be fun! :smallbiggrin:

Also Thanatos, I'm one of the people who like to blame medics for every bad thing that happens to me. Though I pray the tone in my voice and the constant complaining about dying when the medic is on the other side of the map lets the person know I'm not being serious. :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-12, 01:27 PM
Also Thanatos, I'm one of the people who like to blame medics for every bad thing that happens to me. Though I pray the tone in my voice and the constant complaining about dying when the medic is on the other side of the map lets the person know I'm not being serious. :smalltongue:

It's cool. I usually play Scouts, anyway. It just annoys me whenever I decide to play a support instead of assault class that everyone turns me into their little scapegoat.

As a side-note, I have Portal on STEAM. It doesn't load the title screen properly.

TheLogman
2009-08-12, 01:29 PM
Yeah, the powerstation round last night was brutal.

I swear, the map hates everyone.

We did get to the Finale though, Rutskarn, Deej, Phase and me.

And I got Man vs. Tank twice ^_^.

Remember, don't touch the wall ammo.

Dogmantra
2009-08-12, 01:33 PM
Also Thanatos, I'm one of the people who like to blame medics for every bad thing that happens to me.

Go and die. Preferably in real life.

Though I pray the tone in my voice and the constant complaining about dying when the medic is on the other side of the map lets the person know I'm not being serious.
Suuuure...

:smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 01:36 PM
This is also the range at which exactly zero percent of all encounters take place on any FPS outside of a single player campagin.

You, sir, are doing it wrong.

A scout should spend about half of his time out of an opponent's effective weapon range, and the rest--only when his opponent is distracted/weakened--moving in for the kill.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-12, 01:46 PM

A scout should spend about half of his time out of an opponent's effective weapon range, and the rest--only when his opponent is distracted/weakened--moving in for the kill.

Likely.
My preferred playstyle in FPSs usually consists of getting close, spraying to death (With an SMG, for example), don't break stride.
I really play scouts because they're A) Fast and B) Mobile. All the other classes, including the CQC God (Pyro) are far too slow.
I also play on a relativly tiny TV, so don't have the advantage of faraway targets looking big and juicy on my screen.
Yeah, I blame part of my suckitude on hardware.

LurkerInPlayground
2009-08-12, 01:53 PM
Nah BONK! isn't useless, it's just balanced for a something that is supposed to replace a pistol.

Your sentrygun is trying to take out an ubered pyro? Atleast the sentrygun is trying to hold it back instead of trying to take out some invincible scout in the corner. Whereby the pyro might as well not be ubered because he doesn't need to be.

The sentry gun attacks whatever is closest. So as long as the sentry gun is firing at the Pyro, it's not going to prioritize the Scout, bonked or unbonked.

The pistol is a finisher weapon. As such, it remains far superior to Bonk.

Actually, I'd say you're supposed to shoot people when they're not shooting you, or for that matter, hitting you. You can be right in somebody's face and do a lot of damage by simply bouncing all over the place.

Sometimes there's a rythym that you can strike that can really throw them off. An erratic change in direction by double-jump, can for example, throw off somebody who thinks he's got a read on your movement.

Basically, the Scout can feint with his speed/double-jump and play mind games with people. Hell, jumping over somebody's head is a good way to get them turned around and confused.

Even the pistol has too much scatter to be a truly effective mid-range weapon.

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 02:07 PM
Actually, I'd say you're supposed to shoot people when they're not shooting you, or for that matter, hitting you. You can be right in somebody's face and do a lot of damage by simply bouncing all over the place.

Sometimes there's a rythym that you can strike that can really throw them off. An erratic change in direction by double-jump, can for example, throw off somebody who thinks he's got a read on your movement.

Situationally, yes, but as a matter of doctrine the rinse-repeat of pistol and scattergun is hard to beat.

Even the pistol has too much scatter to be a truly effective mid-range weapon.

I would disagree, actually. It has enough of a firing rate that if you keep it trained on them, you can keep up a steady stream of violence.

Jahkaivah
2009-08-12, 02:10 PM
The sentry gun attacks whatever is closest. So as long as the sentry gun is firing at the Pyro, it's not going to prioritize the Scout, bonked or unbonked.

Which is why the scout goes out first.

Trust me, as an engineer I've been screwed over by scouts who know how to use BONK!. In fact more than scouts who know how to use the pistol.

Player_Zero
2009-08-12, 02:20 PM
Rutskarn, last time I saw you using the pistol it was firing at a soldier on the bomb cart and you weren't doing enough damage to beat the healing.

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 02:25 PM
Rutskarn, last time I saw you using the pistol it was firing at a soldier on the bomb cart and you weren't doing enough damage to beat the healing.

Because I suck at aiming.

Seriously, I can't hit jack as Scout with, like, any weapon.

Plus: he had cover.

Arbitrarity
2009-08-12, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the practice, Zero. Good times there :smallbiggrin:

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the practice, Zero.

Usually, someone says that when they've just defeated an opponent so badly it's hilarious. Somehow I doubt that's the case here.

Player_Zero
2009-08-12, 02:48 PM
Usually, someone says that when they've just defeated an opponent so badly it's hilarious. Somehow I doubt that's the case here.

Nah, you're quite astute. Arbitrary is a better player. My cunning revenge is misspelling his name.

NeoVid
2009-08-12, 03:18 PM

That one just requires a lot of saving and reloading. You need to have good aim with the Magnussons, run over every Hunter you can, and remember which Striders zip straight towards their targets instead of letting you have time to prepare. Takes about an hour of effort, but it's not actually that hard. It is enough work that it really is achieving something.

Little Rocket Man, though, is a 100% evil, epic pain in the ass.

I just loved it when the attack chopper's backwash would blow the gnome out of the car, and then it would get shot out of my hands when I went to pick it up.

And then when I remembered hearing about the spot under the window where you could wedge the gnome, half the time I tried that, it would go shooting 30 feet away.

Oh yeah, everyone should take a look at the article that's in progress on ubercharged.net (http://www.ubercharged.net/) right now.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-12, 03:47 PM
I used god mode and noclip for Little Rocket Man and I am not ashamed. It's one of those achievements that's great in principle but doesn't really work in the real game.

Joran
2009-08-12, 04:03 PM
Oh yeah, everyone should take a look at the article that's in progress on ubercharged.net right now.

I find those articles fascinating, although, I am sad that only a few classes are represented in the pro leagues and competitive play. I like their descriptions on advanced techniques, like the wall rocket jump...

Arbitrarity
2009-08-12, 04:05 PM
Nah, you're quite astute. Arbitrary is a better player. My cunning revenge is misspelling his name.

Debatably. You're probably a better soldier and spy, or about the same. Also, that is my steam name, spelled correctly :D.

Air headshots were funny; "I refuse to believe that was anything but luck"

Also, I did little rocket man on hard. Twice, actually. Once on my second play, with commentary, but commentary disables achievements. So I did it a third time, just for that.

But I can't find those damn grubs. 4 short, every time :smallfurious:

Player_Zero
2009-08-12, 04:08 PM
Well, I say better because you're about one hundred times a better sniper than I am. Normally dodging and rocketjumping actually works when it comes to avoiding getting headshotted.

And you always seem to be in just the wrong place when we're both soldier. Then I fumble my rockets all over the place.

Arbitrarity
2009-08-12, 04:15 PM
I enjoyed it, though. You're better than most players I'll encounter, while being not frustratingly annoying to try to kill. You're quite funny, and you seem to have a good grasp of most class mechanics.

Also, RJ'ing makes you an easier target, unless you air control properly.

Ziren
2009-08-12, 04:42 PM
Yay, King of the Hill (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/).

Also: Booooo, epic server lag on Chaotic.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-12, 04:50 PM
Yay, King of the Hill (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/).

Dangit Bobby, don't make fun of propane!

Oh wait, wrong King of the Hill. :smalltongue:

TheLogman
2009-08-12, 04:54 PM
Well, it's not that impressive, I'm glad it's out, but I was hoping for something more than just a new game mode I was already expecting.

The map does look nice though.

Maybe we'll get something really exciting tomorrow.

I guess I'm just impatient.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-12, 05:07 PM
So King of the Hill is becoming an official gameplay mode. The PCJ server has Garbage Day in the rotation and it is a King of the Hill map. Lots of fun.

Phase
2009-08-12, 05:21 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that they're testing snow here on us before they try to implement it in Episode Three?

Nano
2009-08-12, 05:25 PM
See, I'm gonna have to play through Half Life 2 just so I can get in on all this complaining about the lack of an Episode 3.

potatocubed
2009-08-12, 05:30 PM
I'm expecting at some point that they're going to start messing with variations on CTF - the SDK has a whole bunch of functionality built in for CTF that's seeing no use at all in official maps, but, you know, it's there and it works. Not doing anything with it seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

KBF
2009-08-12, 05:31 PM
I enjoyed it, though. You're better than most players I'll encounter, while being not frustratingly annoying to try to kill

What.

You are standing 5 miles away with an instant kill gun that only requires you to have good aim.

As a soldier, going against Zero has got to be one of the most traumatizing experiences I have gained from TF2.

Dogmantra
2009-08-12, 05:38 PM
As any class, even including spectator soldier, going against Zero has got to be one of the most traumatizing experiences I have gained from TF2. life.

I just thought I'd correct that for you :smalltongue:

KBF
2009-08-12, 05:40 PM
I just thought I'd correct that for you :smalltongue:

That would be correct if I were joking in any way.

But thanks anyway.

Dogmantra
2009-08-12, 05:42 PM
That would be correct if I were joking in any way.

Joking? I'm not joking... (exagerrating just a teeny tiny bit, but certainly not joking)

NeoVid
2009-08-12, 05:47 PM
I find those articles fascinating, although, I am sad that only a few classes are represented in the pro leagues and competitive play.

Well, that's hopefully going to be one of the positive changes from having serious competitive players as their new beta testers.

Also, I think it's significant that the 4 heavily-used competitive classes are also the 4 most mobile classes.

Arbitrarity
2009-08-12, 05:48 PM
What.

You are standing 5 miles away with an instant kill gun that only requires you to have good aim.

As a soldier, going against Zero has got to be one of the most traumatizing experiences I have gained from TF2.

At that point, it's about who kills who first. What if zero took cover, did a curved rocket jump over it, juggled me with his first rocket, then finished me with shotgun? All I can do there is possibly shoot him as he jumps, which is tricky because he's air-controlling sideways.

Also, Chaotic is getting silly. I detect sarcastic Chuck Norris jokes :smallsigh:

The Linker
2009-08-12, 06:11 PM
King of the Hill looks fun! And I like Nucleus and Sawmill -- for one, I am much in support of more opportunities for accidental sawblade mishaps.

Hmm... I think a Watchtower KotH map could be interesting, but perhaps difficult. Three minutes doesn't seem quite long enough.

Jahkaivah
2009-08-12, 06:12 PM
Also, Chaotic is getting silly. I detect sarcastic Chuck Norris jokes :smallsigh:

Arbitrarity's/Arbitrary's brilliance is surpassed only by his modesty :smallbiggrin:

KBF
2009-08-12, 06:18 PM
King of the Hill looks fun! And I like Nucleus and Sawmill -- for one, I am much in support of more oppurtunities for accidental sawblade mishaps.

Hmm... I think a Watchtower KotH map could be interesting, but perhaps difficult. Three minutes doesn't seem quite long enough.

Yes, very yes, and no.

See, you have more than three minutes to play, but each team has to control the hill for a total of 3 minutes to win. In that sense, three minutes is just right, as typically control means only one color on it, and the hill looks like a horrible defensive position depending on how large the area is. Is it the entire sawmill building or just the control point area?

Darth Mario
2009-08-12, 06:23 PM
Arbitrarity's/Arbitrary's brilliance is surpassed only by his modesty :smallbiggrin:

There isn't actually a blue team. They're all Arbitrary as a red spy.

The Linker
2009-08-12, 06:26 PM
See, you have more than three minutes to play, but each team has to control the hill for a total of 3 minutes to win. In that sense, three minutes is just right, as typically control means only one color on it, and the hill looks like a horrible defensive position depending on how large the area is. Is it the entire sawmill building or just the control point area?

Well, in the preview we got today, (http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/english.htm) they tell us it's just the control point area. Not to mention to wrest control back it looks like you have to shove the entire enemy team off and actually capture the point, however long that takes (10 seconds? 20?). And when I said three minutes is too short, I meant that when one team captures it and gains control, I can't imagine the other team getting back in that highly fortified watchtower in under three minutes. But then again, the defending team doesn't exactly spawn anywhere close, so it wouldn't be hard to intercept them on the way (they have to walk along a very narrow pipe -- for a good Sniper, it'd be like shooting leetle hatless baby fish in a barrel). Still, I'd like to see it in action.

Arbitrarity
2009-08-12, 06:31 PM
There isn't actually a blue team. They're all Arbitrary as a red spy.

Outer space Respawn exists because it's people are afraid to be on the same planet with Chuck Norris server as me.

Jahkaivah
2009-08-12, 06:51 PM
You may find servers with 100% Crits on, this is because Arbitary breathed in it's general direction.

When Arbitrary hosts a server, it becomes full immediatly, even when he is offline.

Most players try to bring the enemy intelligence back to their base, Arbitrary brings his base to the enemy intelligence.

Arbitrary once looked the train in the eye. It's been running scared ever since.

Arbitrary sleeps with the Spy's mother.

Arbitrary is the reason why the Sniper has such terrible bladder control.

Arbitrary once drank BONK!.... the quantum physicists are still trying to figure out what the hell happened.

Arbitrary pushed this cart with his little finger. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAwLme5uXNY&fmt=18)

The Linker
2009-08-12, 06:56 PM
When Arbitrarity plays a Medic, his medigun builds up both an ubercharge and a kritzcharge, which he can unleash simultaneously on a teammate. Unfortunately, every teammate he's ever tried to uber has perished from an overload of Arbitrarity's power.

Arbitrarity
2009-08-12, 06:57 PM
Ok, so I need better TF2 themes....

If a server has low gravity, it's because it's hosted far away from my home.

Shoot... I like nocrit servers. Hm.
SV_pure was created solely to appease me.
When a server lags, it's because it couldn't handle my presence.
All servers with low ping are given such by their proximity to me. (:smallwink:)

Icwutudidthar Jahk.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-12, 07:37 PM
Hey look at this hidden stuff they found in the update pages

Day 1- Tuesday, August 11th:

* Classless update announced. 18 new hats! New Arena map!!
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/day01.php
* Hidden link on stack of hats leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/hats/
* Hidden link on MANN (In "GENTLE MANNE of LEISURE") leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/barbary/
* Hidden link on the left classy man's monocle leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classles...advertisement/
* Hidden link on the gears leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classles...n/enigmatical/

Day 2- Wednesday, August 12th:

* New game mode: King of the Hill! New KotH map Viaduct, plus KotH versions of Nucleus and Sawmill!
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/
* Hidden link on "1895" leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classles...graphic_lumps/
* Hidden link on "Lumps" leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/war/
* Hidden link on "Bloody" in the weather section leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classles.../coward_mound/
* Hidden link on headline's "!":
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/populace/

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 07:39 PM
There are two kinds of players--the kind Rutskarn is dominating, and the vast majority of players.

If Rutskarn misses a headshot, it's because his opponent wasn't standing stock still.

Sometimes, the server Rutskarn's on crashes. This is because he can't use the novelty admin commands for some reason.

The last time someone tried to disguise at Rutskarn, he managed to get a couple of backstabs and a sap before a pyro caught on and incinerated him.

Whenever Rutskarn joins a team, its performance improves in a very minor fashion.

Rutskarn doesn't need a sandvich. Usually, one of his teammates is a medic, rendering it superfluous.

When Rutskarn gets an uber, he may or may not be able to do anything with it, given the circumstances.

Jahkaivah
2009-08-12, 07:42 PM
Ro-bot is certainaly interesting. One idea I had for engineer was replacing his teleporters with a robot and a remote control stand.

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 07:44 PM
Ro-bot is certainaly interesting. One idea I had for engineer was replacing his teleporters with a robot and a remote control stand.

Eh...a little OP. I mean, if it was powerful enough to have an effect on...anything, really, it'd mean the Engineer could have an effect on the battlefield even while minding his gear.

The Linker
2009-08-12, 07:46 PM
Hey look at this hidden stuff they found in the update pages

Day 1- Tuesday, August 11th:

* Classless update announced. 18 new hats! New Arena map!!
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/day01.php
* Hidden link on stack of hats leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/hats/
* Hidden link on MANN (In "GENTLE MANNE of LEISURE") leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/barbary/
* Hidden link on the left classy man's monocle leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classles...advertisement/
* Hidden link on the gears leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classles...n/enigmatical/

Day 2- Wednesday, August 12th:

* New game mode: King of the Hill! New KotH map Viaduct, plus KotH versions of Nucleus and Sawmill!
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/
* Hidden link on "1895" leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classles...graphic_lumps/
* Hidden link on "Lumps" leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/war/
* Hidden link on "Bloody" in the weather section leads to:
http://www.teamfortress.com/classles.../coward_mound/
* Hidden link on headline's "!":
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/populace/

I was able to correct most of those incomplete URLs, with the exception of the one that ends with graphic_lumps. Pornographic lumps? Demographic lumps?

Also, they're hidden links on the page? Why can't I find them? They don't seem to be there for me.

TheLogman
2009-08-12, 08:10 PM
I quite like hats.

I do not, however, own one.

I really, really, reallllly want the Medic hat.

I think it is way cool.

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-08-12, 08:19 PM
I wonder if that "ro-bot" means there will be an implementation of bots. That would be interesting.

Arbitrarity
2009-08-12, 08:20 PM
I was able to correct most of those incomplete URLs, with the exception of the one that ends with graphic_lumps. Pornographic lumps? Demographic lumps?

Also, they're hidden links on the page? Why can't I find them? They don't seem to be there for me.

Geographic lumps. The hidden links appear randomly through the day, it seems. Like the "decloaking" spy last update.

Fawkes
2009-08-12, 08:55 PM
Oh please be true please be true please be true.

UNCOFIRMED CONSOLE COMMANDS LEAKED

"TF_Engineer_Cowboy_Hat" "Texas Ten Gallon"
"TF_Engineer_Train_Hat" "Engineer's Cap"
"TF_Heavy_Ushanka_Hat" "Officer's Ushanka"
"TF_Heavy_Stocking_cap" "Tough Guy's Tuque"
"TF_Soldier_Pot_Hat" "Stainless Pot"
"TF_Soldier_Viking_Hat" "Tyrant's Helm"
"TF_Demo_Scott_Hat" "Glengarry Bonnet"
"TF_Medic_Tyrolean_Hat" "Vintage Tyrolean"
"TF_Pyro_Chicken_Hat" "Respectless Rubber Glove"
"TF_Spy_Camera_Beard" "Camera Beard"
"TF_Medic_Mirror_Hat" "Otolaryngologist's Mirror"
"TF_Pyro_Fireman_Helmet" "Brigade Helm"
"TF_Scout_Bonk_Helmet" "Bonk Helm"
"TF_Scout_Newsboy_Cap" "Ye Olde Baker Boy"
"TF_Spy_Derby_Hat" "Backbiter's Billycock"
"TF_Sniper_Straw_Hat" "Professional's Panama"
"TF_Sniper_Jarate_Headband" "Master's Yellow Belt"
"TF_Hatless_Scout" "Baseball Bill's Sports Shine"
"TF_Hatless_Sniper" "Ritzy Rick's Hair Fixative"
"TF_Hatless_Engineer" "Texas Slim's Dome Shine"
"TF_Demo_Top_Hat" "Scottsman's Stove Pipe"

TheLogman
2009-08-12, 09:08 PM
Awesome.

Totally awesome.

I want the Demoman Tophat.

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 09:09 PM

I wouldn't count on it.

KBF
2009-08-12, 09:15 PM

Why would it be?

...You have found this post informative,

KBF

Seriously, best exit ever.

Rutskarn
2009-08-12, 09:17 PM
I have absolutely no idea what that's supposed to mean.

KBF
2009-08-12, 10:05 PM

I hope you found this post informative? Screw that.

You found this post informative.

Fawkes
2009-08-13, 12:15 AM

Check out the main page of the tf2 blog. The Announcer made a post.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 12:36 AM
Check out the main page of the tf2 blog. The Announcer made a post.

Correction: I have about 50% of an idea of what that's supposed to mean.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-13, 08:33 AM

Oh lol, that's why they 404d. To be fair, I did write up all the links once as my own post, but i saw that on the steam forums and decided they made it look a prettier more detailed list than I did so ... my bad i guess :smallredface:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-13, 10:09 AM
In unrelated news...

9 consecutive backstabs in a single life! A 11 to 1 Kill/Death ratio that game! Huzzah!

I may finally be starting to get a handle on the Spy.

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 10:31 AM
Well yes, but you could get 10 backstabs on newbie players easily without any hassle.

I generally only go spy nowadays to **** around waste time; lose focus; lack seriousness of purpose or take out sentries. Think I'm pretty good at sentry elimination... But then, I haven't played spy for reals in ages. Have about 70 hours in it though.

Scout is my least played class at the minute. Which is why I'm trying to get better at it. Soldier is probably second to last, but since I reset my stats I can't tell.

Edit: This (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=****+around) has no vulgar meaning but now my sentence doesn't make sense. Stupid filter... Wow. They filter URLs too. That's amazing.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-13, 10:45 AM
Well yes, but you could get 10 backstabs on newbie players easily without any hassle.

You hush, Zero. Maybe YOU can, but I've never been able to before. We can't all be as good as you or Have Knife, Will Travel. It makes us lesser players feel rather down when you have to go and say things like this. So sometimes, just sometimes, give us a break, won't you? Instead of immediately pointing out how it's not any sort of a big deal?

Well, I sort of jest, but the idea still stands. :smallbiggrin:

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 10:47 AM
No, no, I mean you're a fair spy. It's just that the number of backstabs isn't a fair representation of skill.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-13, 10:49 AM
No, no, I mean you're a fair spy. It's just that the number of backstabs isn't a fair representation of skill.

Fair enough. I'm not a fair spy (I'm still just figuring out how not to die all the time), but that explanation was a lot clearer. Sorry for the slight outburst. :smallredface:

Jibar
2009-08-13, 11:04 AM
Anyone know of a way to look at models wielding other classes' weapons?
I noticed on a randomised server that some classes actually look alright with other weapons and wanted to browse at my leirsure.

potatocubed
2009-08-13, 11:14 AM

My greatest number of backstabs in one life is three.

Phase
2009-08-13, 11:14 AM
Because none of us could be bothered to record this and post it on YooToob (yet), here's a download link to Shadow_Archmagi, TheLogMan, Rutskarn, and my playthrough of level one of Powerstation.

Click the link near the bottom. (http://www.2shared.com/file/7143520/f6db7b4b/lolcats.html?s=1)

Dogmantra
2009-08-13, 11:25 AM
My greatest number of backstabs in one life is three.

I'm... I'm actually better than someone as spy?
I can die a happy man. Unless one of those golly goshdarned Pyros gets to me first...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-13, 11:28 AM
I can die a happy man. Unless one of those golly goshdarned Pyros gets to me first...

They will. To quote an article I saw on Ubercharged.com...

I'm a Spy. Of course I'm on fire.

TheLogman
2009-08-13, 11:35 AM
EDIT: Nope, I don't have any sort of Screen Capture Software. I guess I could use Hypercam or something.

It wouldn't be pretty though. Anyone else have good screen capture software?

Nano
2009-08-13, 11:49 AM
You guys figure Meet the Announcer might be in this update? I mean, it is 100% class free.

The Linker
2009-08-13, 11:59 AM
EDIT: Nope, I don't have any sort of Screen Capture Software. I guess I could use Hypercam or something.

It wouldn't be pretty though. Anyone else have good screen capture software?

You don't need screen capture software. Source games have a demo maker built in. Open the console with ~ (you may have to look in the Video options and select 'Enable Console' first) and type in 'record <any filename you want>'. It doesn't even slow down your computer at all. It'll end when you stop playing, go to the menu screen, or when you type in 'stoprecord' or something.

After that, you just take the .dem file that's been created somewhere in your l4D folder and, apparently, put it on 2shared like Phase did. :smallbiggrin:

TheLogman
2009-08-13, 12:01 PM
No, I mean to take the demo and put it on Youtube.

The Linker
2009-08-13, 12:09 PM
Oh. Uh. Did you completely edit out the part in your previous post that said you wanted to put it on Youtube? I didn't get to read it! That makes it really hard to know what you're talking about, you know! :smalltongue:

Anyway, I just put my replays up. I have very imaginative filenames.

powerstation: (http://www.2shared.com/file/7161227/bd396386/powerstation.html) 16 minutes, I think. This one features Phase and Balthasar. It starts halfway through the third section, but we die and go back to the beginning, so viewers get to see the whole thing anyway. Much lasery shenangians are too be had. voice_loopback is put on partway through, and remains on for the rest of the demos as well.
powerstation2: (http://www.2shared.com/file/7161263/de38629b/powerstation2.html) 22 minutes? With Phase, Rutskarn and Logman. We travel through the fourth section, featuring dreidels written in blood, scientifically rigorous trap testing, and two people making the exact same 'MIT education' joke at the exact same time.
powerstation2_2: (http://www.2shared.com/file/7161323/bb96cda8/powerstation2_2.html) Over a half-hour. I haven't actually watched this one yet. Same people as above, but in the fifth section. Of course, Logman has to go and Rutskarn gets disconnected, so it's just Phase and I by the end, as we manage to survive the finale and then get killed anyway because the boat doesn't actually move.

TheLogman
2009-08-13, 12:13 PM
I was talking to Phase, saying I might be able to post to Youtube, and then editing it to say that I probably couldn't, due to a lack of software and know-how.

Ziren
2009-08-13, 12:18 PM
You guys figure Meet the Announcer might be in this update? I mean, it is 100% class free.

Actually it's classless. So it's probably a Heavy-fix.

Psst, it's a communism joke

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-13, 12:20 PM

We can't meet the Announcer, she must be kept semi-secret.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 12:21 PM
Dammit, we don't have video footage of, like, the best part* where you guys died halfway through the level and I dealt with a witch, two hordes, two hunters, a smoker, and a tank all by myself while armed only with a molly and an uzi!

*WARNING: BIASED OPINION ALERT. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

EDIT: Not so, Fiddler. Valve has confirmed that they've adopted the Announcer design shown here (http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/2008/11/custom_1226260520814_tf2announcer.jpg).

Which is just as well, because clearly this picture is the announcer.

Kyouhen
2009-08-13, 12:28 PM
Well Bellmaker and I are sitting around waiting to have a go at Powerstation. If anyone wants to join now's the time. It's on a dedicated server so I WILL finish this time. :smallannoyed:

Fawkes
2009-08-13, 12:33 PM

I doubt they'd have put anything together this fast. That doesn't rule out a "Meet the Hats" or some such video.

Rutskarn: I don't Valve has publicly confirmed it. I told you. :smalltongue:

Jahkaivah
2009-08-13, 02:32 PM
Rutskarn: I don't Valve has publicly confirmed it. I told you. :smalltongue:

Wait... so we happen to be in on a little secret? :smallwink:

TheLogman
2009-08-13, 02:37 PM
Yeah, it was somebody's brother's friend's sister or something who was the one who drew the picture and got taken to Valve HQ.

Don't remember who.

But it's not officially confirmed at all. I daresay we are of the few that know about it. And that's because of insider information.

potatocubed
2009-08-13, 02:40 PM
Alright, I've dug my mic out from underneath the pile of other cables and an alarm clock, and I'm looking for some hot L4D action. If anyone's starting a game, throw me a Steam message.

Jibar
2009-08-13, 02:40 PM
But it's not officially confirmed at all. I daresay we are of the few that know about it. And that's because of insider information.

We could exploit this.

Fawkes
2009-08-13, 02:48 PM
Wait... so we happen to be in on a little secret? :smallwink:

Not exactly. It's unconfirmed. They may never make the movie. Interest has been expressed, and job offers have been discussed.

Yeah, it was somebody's brother's friend's sister or something who was the one who drew the picture and got taken to Valve HQ.

Don't remember who.

Yo.

Narudude360
2009-08-13, 03:03 PM

I am shocked that you would say that! I use Steam! I don't get viruses! I know this thread is pretty long and people reading this are probably confused! But I don't experience any of this! And I have all the new Valve game besides L4D! (Subject to change.)

Phase
2009-08-13, 03:08 PM
I am shocked that you would say that! I use Steam! I don't get viruses! I know this thread is pretty long and people reading this are probably confused! But I don't experience any of this! And I have all the new Valve game besides L4D! (Subject to change.)

He's using sarcasm.

Nano
2009-08-13, 03:09 PM
Heaps of it, actually.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 03:10 PM

Highlight the white text. He's being sarcastic.

Also: I discovered something incredible today. There is a way for me to play Sniper in which I don't absolutely suck.

Today, in an attempt to broaden my horizons, I played Huntsman Sniper. I actually managed to not make a complete idiot of my self--at worst, a 1/3 or partial idiot. Managed to get a couple headshots, hit a scout on the wing, break stuff, kill stuff--wasn't even the worst player on the team.

I think this is my new TF2 project--practice this. I might get to the point where I'm passably competent at it.

NeoVid
2009-08-13, 03:20 PM

The post that first mentioned it here got linked on the Gamefaqs TF2 board. Considering that's the most active forum on Gfaqs, a lot of people must know.

In other news, I want to express how much I hatehatehate alltalk most of the time.

Yesterday on Chaotic, I was defending on Hoodoo and had managed to build a sentry nest in a completely unexpected, normally unreachable spot. I made sure my team knew that everyone who had the chance should teleport there.

"Take my tele whenever you can. It goes behind enemy lines."

"Use my teleporter. We need to cut them off from the first cap."

"Hey, someone teleport up here, I need someone to cover me or they'll take the first cap!"

After about three minutes, someone finally ported into my sentry nest for the first time. It turned out to be Player_Zero, who was a BLU Spy.

Alltalk+braindead teammates+opponents with some sense=fail

Though I mostly blame alltalk.

This goes along with how, whenever I ask "Who wants the uber?" on an alltalk server, at least 3 people on the other team will respond, and no one on mine. Next time that happens, I'll say I'm switching classes without using the uber since no one on my team wants it.

chiasaur11
2009-08-13, 03:24 PM
See, I'm gonna have to play through Half Life 2 just so I can get in on all this complaining about the lack of an Episode 3.

You'd better.

Also, you need to finish Minerva so you can properly appreciate how good Foster's mapping will be in Ep. 3.

Jahkaivah
2009-08-13, 03:55 PM
So yeah, joined L4D with Balthasar, tried to do powerhouse on expert... fun was had

Give this guy a medal. :smallbiggrin:

The Linker
2009-08-13, 03:59 PM
Oh, come on, isn't that a bit harsh? He's not even the first one to be fooled by that.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 04:00 PM
The post that first mentioned it here got linked on the Gamefaqs TF2 board. Considering that's the most active forum on Gfaqs, a lot of people must know.

In other news, I want to express how much I hatehatehate alltalk most of the time.

Yesterday on Chaotic, I was defending on Hoodoo and had managed to build a sentry nest in a completely unexpected, normally unreachable spot. I made sure my team knew that everyone who had the chance should teleport there.

"Take my tele whenever you can. It goes behind enemy lines."

"Use my teleporter. We need to cut them off from the first cap."

"Hey, someone teleport up here, I need someone to cover me or they'll take the first cap!"

After about three minutes, someone finally ported into my sentry nest for the first time. It turned out to be Player_Zero, who was a BLU Spy.

Alltalk+braindead teammates+opponents with some sense=fail

Though I mostly blame alltalk.

There is such a think as team chat, you know.

Just press U, type your message, and magic happens.

Jahkaivah
2009-08-13, 04:09 PM
Oh, come on, isn't that a bit harsh? He's not even the first one to be fooled by that.

Harsh? I'm in complete awe, that was brilliant. :smallcool:

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 04:12 PM
I mean, I guess that could also be sarcasm, but there'd hardly be a point to it--not any joke to be made there.

Jibar
2009-08-13, 04:12 PM

*Plus some alltalk stuff*

It is the GameFAQs board though...

As for ubering, you're just playing at the wrong time. We had people arguing over whether me or Nano should get the Uber someone had prepared.

Also, I am going to make a Jafar Cat-Muffin. 'Cos.

KBF
2009-08-13, 04:22 PM
I think he was being sarcastic too guys

What? Don't act like you know me. Nobody knows me! Serious is my first name AND SAM ISN'T MY LAST. Haven't you noticed you can't give people your games!? You can't trade games with friends over the web once you finish them! That's neglecting a whole demographic of shameless pirates password crackers 1337 h4ckers rebels fighting THE MEGACORPORATIONS that make games

...Me and my friends can't just buy one game and pass it around

Morrandir
2009-08-13, 04:24 PM
I think he was being sarcastic too guys

What? Don't act like you know me. Nobody knows me! Serious is my first name AND SAM ISN'T MY LAST. Haven't you noticed you can't give people your games!? You can't trade games with friends over the web once you finish them! That's neglecting a whole demographic of shameless pirates password crackers 1337 h4ckers rebels fighting THE MEGACORPORATIONS that make games

...Me and my friends can't just buy one game and pass it around

Way to go, now I want to play Serious Sam again.

Random thought: Who wants to bet we'll be seeing fanart of The Administrator?

The Linker
2009-08-13, 04:26 PM
Eh? Who? The only administrator I know is Breen. :smallconfused:

Edit: I was looking through the Classless update pages -- just in case I missed something about an Administrator* -- and found something they added in the blurb for Offblast since yesterday:

This awesome community map was created by Magnar "insta" Jenssen, whose dedication and commitment to TF2 map-making has convinced us to make him the tenth class.*

*We are lying.

Not only did they wrongfully claim they were first to put snow in TF2, but they pretended Offblast was their map for a day? :smallamused:

*Now that I think about it, you're probably talking about something in Serious Sam, aren't you? Uh. I knew that.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 04:32 PM
It is the GameFAQs board though...

As for ubering, you're just playing at the wrong time. We had people arguing over whether me or Nano should get the Uber someone had prepared.

Also, I am going to make a Jafar Cat-Muffin. 'Cos.

Oh yeah, that reminds me.

Prepare to gaze upon the face...of fear.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6927/formufaroo.png

Kyouhen
2009-08-13, 04:35 PM
So yeah, joined L4D with Balthasar, tried to do powerhouse on expert... fun was had

To elaborate, we never got to the top of the elevator. We could get to the elevator, but died shortly after. Jahk still has no idea what horrors lie beyond. :smalltongue:

He also recorded it. So you can see us failing yourselves.

Also we ended up on some server with some custom things it would randomly give you. Everyone had laser sights, and you'd get a random ability like being able to free yourself from a smoker once or being able to revive teammates twice as fast or incendiary ammo. We decided to stick with the server as any bit of help is nice. It didn't help us much though. :smalltongue:

KBF
2009-08-13, 04:40 PM
This goes along with how, whenever I ask "Who wants the uber?" on an alltalk server, at least 3 people on the other team will respond, and no one on mine. Next time that happens, I'll say I'm switching classes without using the uber since no one on my team wants it.

Oh man, I hate when medics ask that. Not just over alltalk, but just in general. Because I don't have a mic (or don't want to talk) I have to type to communicate. And an annoying pattern is that I'll actually be doing something when they ask, and I can't find the time to type. Over time I've gotten better and finding that time (being lazier) and I've begun to notice another trend: people talking over mics talk with people on mics, text chatting is beneath them and they tend to ignore it.

Then again, I also hate it when I get ubered while doing something else as soldier. Then as they activate it, I've just fired my 4th shot and have no idea what the uber should accomplish. What sentry? You mean that one waay over there, at the end of the tunnel behind the corner? Or is it up top? I was busy getting rid of the pyro, I have no ammo, and I have no bearing on the situation. And yet.. I can't blame the medic. I'm just awful with ubers I guess.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-13, 04:48 PM
Not only did they wrongfully claim they were first to put snow in TF2, but they pretended Offblast was their map for a day? :smallamused:

Nah, it was always down as a community map. They just didn't credit the author as they have done for all the others.

Morrandir
2009-08-13, 04:52 PM
Eh? Who? The only administrator I know is Breen. :smallconfused:

Edit: I was looking through the Classless update pages -- just in case I missed something about an Administrator* -- and found something they added in the blurb for Offblast since yesterday:

*Now that I think about it, you're probably talking about something in Serious Sam, aren't you? Uh. I knew that.

Psst. Read this. (http://www.tf2.com/)

Nano
2009-08-13, 04:58 PM
It's The Announcer, not The Administrator.

Dread Cthulhu
2009-08-13, 05:01 PM
I just realized something kind of cool. In the commentaries for TF2 Valve talks about making a specific link between the Medic and the person he's healing. Since I'm playing this on PC, pretty much anyone I've added as a friend because of the game has either been my Medic or my preferred Uber target. Pretty good considering the tactic boils down to either following someone while holding down M1 or doing what you normally do while someone follows you holding M1. Mission accomplished there, Valve.

Jahkaivah
2009-08-13, 05:06 PM
It's The Announcer, not The Administrator.

It says the Announcer at the top, and the Administrator at the bottom, no idea why, I guess she's both.

Bryn
2009-08-13, 05:19 PM
Oh man, I hate when medics ask that. Not just over alltalk, but just in general. Because I don't have a mic (or don't want to talk) I have to type to communicate. And an annoying pattern is that I'll actually be doing something when they ask, and I can't find the time to type. Over time I've gotten better and finding that time (being lazier) and I've begun to notice another trend: people talking over mics talk with people on mics, text chatting is beneath them and they tend to ignore it.
This is what the built-in voice commands are for, I guess. Just press z, x or c. The 'Activate Charge' command should be enough to say 'I want an über' (I think it's on the x menu, but it might be c). :smallwink:

Of course, you might not be heard, but pressing x-3 is much quicker than pressing u-M-e-!, doesn't stop you fighting, and can be spammed more easily...

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 05:30 PM
Why would you ask 'who wants an uber' anyway? Assay the situation. Is it better for a pyro? Demo? Is there a good player of the class you desire? What about a closer alternative?

Then I usually target them and say Z3, Z4, X7 or maybe X3 until they get the idea.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-08-13, 05:36 PM
Steam appears to be downloading a certain update which includes hats and King of the Hill. Fast update.

edit: maybe it was a mistake. I just refreshed the update page and it is no longer there. There was also something else aside from hats/KotH: special taunts added for the loosing team. Something I don't remember reading about before.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 05:44 PM
This new update is awesome and a can of peas.

Player_Zero
2009-08-13, 05:45 PM
Too big of an update to just be hotfixes and the like me thinks. Well, I'll know in about five minutes.

"Cloaked Spies standing in valid backstab positions no longer raise their knife"

That's a bit annoying. Helps when you're standing on their dispenser or whatever.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 05:47 PM
Too big of an update to just be hotfixes and the like me thinks. Well, I'll know in about five minutes.

"Cloaked Spies standing in valid backstab positions no longer raise their knife"

That's a bit annoying. Helps when you're standing on their dispenser or whatever.

Occasionally, when I've been running around cloaked, it'll flicker for a moment and alert me that there's an enemy spy in the area. Plus, when you're in the middle of a spy-vs-spy duel.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-13, 05:50 PM
"The negative attribute has changed from "no double jump" to "-30 max health"."

Now I don't play, but I'm sure this changes a lot.

Rutskarn
2009-08-13, 05:52 PM
"The negative attribute has changed from "no double jump" to "-30 max health"."

Now I don't play, but I'm sure this changes a lot.

Eh...not a huge amount, actually. It means the scout can navigate the map faster, true, and can get into viable ballsniping positions, but 50-75% of the point of the double jump is to make you harder to hit in combat.

-30 health seems about an equivalent handicap.