PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Simple Q&A for Pathfinder 2: Find Harder

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

LibraryOgre
2013-02-08, 02:09 AM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about Pathfinder.

If your question is about D&D 4e, ask here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6837321)
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11941948#post11941948)
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread regarding it.
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512)
If you want to find a certain feat or ability, Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) and X stat to Y bonus (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871590/X_stat_to_Y_bonus) are both useful threads.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than Pathfinder (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been recently answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play Pathfinder? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large for PC races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Wonton
2013-02-08, 03:03 AM
Wow, I'm honored to usher in the new thread. :smallsmile:

Q 1

If a character fails a Fort save against a disease, is the first instance of ability damage (after the onset period) automatic or is there another Fort save for it?

rockdeworld
2013-02-08, 03:32 AM
Wow, I'm honored to usher in the new thread. :smallsmile:
Ditto :smallsmile:

A1
There is a Fort save.

Save: This gives the type of save necessary to avoid contracting the affliction, as well as the DC of that save. Unless otherwise noted, this is also the save to avoid the affliction's effects once it is contracted, as well as the DC of any caster level checks needed to end the affliction through magic, such as remove curse or neutralize poison.

Onset: Some afflictions have a variable amount of time before they set in. Creatures that come in contact with an affliction with an onset time must make a saving throw immediately. Success means that the affliction is avoided and no further saving throws must be made. Failure means that the creature has contracted the affliction and must begin making additional saves after the onset period has elapsed. The affliction's effect does not occur until after the onset period has elapsed and then only if further saving throws are failed.

Krazzman
2013-02-08, 06:43 AM
Since I lost track of the old one and couldn't find a ruling on this so far...

Q2:
Can a Cleric help a Sorcerer enchant a Sword with Holy (needing Holy Smite as a Spell) so the DC isn't raised for the Sorcerer? (In the campaign I play in we do it like we could, I'm just curious if this works.)

Q3.a:
The Spellcraft DC to create magic Items is the required Caster Level of that Item + any bonus restrictions (like not meeting requirements). Does this elivate the need to be an Elf to create an Elven Cloak?

Q3.b:
What adjustments to the cost of magic Items are to consider when using my Casterlevel instead of the minimum caster level for an Wondrous Item/Magic Arms or Armor?

rockdeworld
2013-02-08, 09:34 AM
A2

Yes.

It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary.

If two or more characters cooperate to create an item, they must agree among themselves who will be considered the creator for the purpose of determinations where the creator's level must be known.

A3a

Assuming you mean Cloak of Elvenkind (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/cloak-of-elvenkind), yes.

The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion magic items without meeting its prerequisites.

Raven777
2013-02-08, 10:22 AM
Q4 Can I reduce crafting times further by stacking additional +5s to Spellcraft DCs? Example : Item A takes 40 days to craft. I can reduce this to 20 days by taking +5 on the DC. Can I reduce it further to 10 days by stacking another +5? Then to 5 days, then to 3 days, etc?

Menteith
2013-02-08, 10:34 AM
Q5

The Beast Rider Cavalier archetype offers unique mounts beyond Horses to the class. There are a few guidelines on what you can select for your mount, however;

"This mount functions as a druid's animal companion, using the beast rider’s level as his effective druid level. The animal chosen as a mount must be large enough to carry the beast rider (Medium or Large for a Small character; Large or Huge for a Medium character)"

A medium rider cannot select any mount which is not, at minimum, Large sized, correct? Here's where it gets troubling;

"At 4th level, a Medium beast rider can also choose an allosaurus, ankylosaurus, arsinoitherium, aurochs, bison, brachiosaurus, elephant, glyptodon, hippopotamus, lion, mastodon, megaloceros, giant snapping turtle, tiger, triceratops, or tyrannosaurus as his mount."

Using the animal companion rules, every single one of these options is Medium sized, and cannot bear a Medium sized rider. Which means that it is not available as a mount. Could someone explain to me how this ability is supposed to work?

warmachine
2013-02-08, 03:31 PM
Q 6
Is there any way to get a 1st level Small Summoner PC that can breathe underwater at least 1 hour per day? Ideally all day, without spending cash or needing help from characters not normally controlled by the player.

Xerinous
2013-02-08, 04:29 PM
A6:

Yes, pick a small race and be a Synthesist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo---summoner-archetypes/synthesist) with the Aquatic base form for your Eidolon (from Ultimate Magic). Gives you gills, so you can breath underwater indefinitely, and a 40 ft. swim speed.

Lycar
2013-02-08, 05:30 PM
Q7:
While the rules state that you lose your dexterity bonus to your CMD when flat-footed, I do not find any explicit mention whether a successful Feint maneuver does too. It would stand to reason that being denied one's dex-to-AC (and thus also any dodge bonus) would extend to CMD, but the rules appear to be silent on the issue.

Eldonauran
2013-02-08, 07:37 PM
A5:

Medium beast riders can choose a camel or horse mount at 1st level...

Horses and Camels start as large creatures, according to the Core rulebook, under animal companions. Page 54. Many medium sized animal companions increase to large size at level 7, becoming available for the medium sized Beast Rider to select. I am sure one of the listed animals may increase to large size, if they have a size increase at level 4.

Urpriest
2013-02-08, 09:48 PM
Q8: Does wearing a spiked gauntlet on one hand prevent you from casting spells with that hand? Does using a shield?

Eldonauran
2013-02-09, 12:11 AM
A8: No, wearing gauntlets (spiked or otherwise) does not prevent you from casting spells with somatic components.

This metal glove lets you deal lethal d amage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an u narmed attack.

An attack with a spiked gauntlet is considered an armed attack.

Guantlets effectively make your unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, and spiked guantlets let you threaten an area (ie, armed attack). If you need further clarification, see the locked guantlets which specify that the hand using the guantlet cannot be used to complete somatic components. The addition of the clarification should be sufficient for any arguement.

While the gauntlet is locked, you can't use the hand wearing it for casting spells or employing skills. (You can still cast spells with somatic components, provided that your other hand is free.)

As for shields, only bucklers clearly state you can use your free hand to weild a weapon or complete somatic gestures. The other shields do not contain this information. Light shields specify you can hold items but not wield them

You can cast a spell with somatic components using your shield arm, but you lose the buckler's AC bonus until your next turn.

A heavy shield is so heavy that you can't use your shield hand for anything else.

A light shield's weight lets you carry other items in that hand, although you cannot use weapons with it.

Urpriest
2013-02-09, 01:14 AM
Q9:

Suppose a creature with Flyby Attack and grab (a Roc for example) uses Flyby Attack to attack a target, and successfully grabs them. Can the Roc finish its move?

Cieyrin
2013-02-09, 09:38 AM
A3b CL is not a price modification for Wondrous Items and Magic Weapons and Armor, it just gets set to whatever your CL is when you create it, provided it's high enough to cast the prerequisite spells.

A4 While a natural progression, the RAW answer is no, as there's only notes for increasing your efficiency once. It could be interpreted as well, from the clause 'He cannot rush the process by working longer each day' that getting 8 hours of work in 4 hours is your daily quota, though that would be a topic for a thread.

A7 As long as you're doing a melee combat maneuver following the feint, the successful feint removes Dex and Dodge to AC, which consequently would affect CMD, given 'Any penalties to a creature's AC also apply to its CMD.' If you can't dodge an attack b/c you're zigging instead of zagging, you shouldn't be any more capable of dodging a tackle.

A9 As long as the Roc can carry its grabbed target aloft, yes.

Menteith
2013-02-09, 11:21 AM
A5:

Horses and Camels start as large creatures, according to the Core rulebook, under animal companions. Page 54. Many medium sized animal companions increase to large size at level 7, becoming available for the medium sized Beast Rider to select. I am sure one of the listed animals may increase to large size, if they have a size increase at level 4.

This doesn't answer the question. The first level options, and 7th level options are not related to my question. I'm sorry if I was unclear, and I'll restate it here. Every one of the animal companions offered as Mounts at 4th level are Medium sized when they are offered. By the rules, I cannot take a Medium mount. Thus, I am explicitly allowed to and explicitly not allowed to take the 4th level options when I am 4th level.

Q5 (Restated)
As a 4th level Beast Rider, am I allowed to select a mount from the new options offered at 4th level, and what size will that mount be?

Occasional Sage
2013-02-09, 11:53 AM
Q10
When a Magus uses her Arcane Pool to enhance a weapon with the Fragile quality, is that quality temporarily removed?

Q11
Speaking of Fragile, the wording of it is ambiguous. Can Disposable Weapon and Splintering Weapon be used simultaneously to autoconfirm a crit and apply bleed damage, at the cost of taking the weapon directly to destroyed?

Cieyrin
2013-02-09, 01:06 PM
A10 Giving a weapon a temporary enhancement bonus does not make it magical, so no, your Fragile weapon is just as vulnerable as before.

A11 There isn't anything in the rules that say what happens when you try to apply Broken to a weapon twice, other than a natural 1 causing it to be destroyed as per Fragile, so the RAW would indicate that once a weapon is Broken, you can't apply Broken a second time via those feats.

Urpriest
2013-02-09, 02:59 PM
A9 As long as the Roc can carry its grabbed target aloft, yes.

Q9 Additional:
Does the Roc need to make an additional CMB check in order to do so?

Does the Roc need to take a -20 penalty on its CMB check to accomplish this (the penalty for using grab without itself being considered grappled)?

Cieyrin
2013-02-09, 06:08 PM
A9b Doing further research, as this seems to be a common quandary, it looks like you'd have to do the -20 to grapple to grab and head off, as otherwise you restrict yourself with the grapple condition and the movement problems therein. Meaning while your average Roc isn't going to be able to snatch and fly off with an elephant, smaller creatures like horses and people are pretty permissible.

Urpriest
2013-02-09, 06:25 PM
Q12

Suppose a creature begins its turn grappling another creature, and is in control of the grapple.

Short of acquiring extra standard actions, is there any way for this creature to make more than one grapple check during its turn? In particular, in 3.5 it was possible to full attack with grapple checks, but in Pathfinder it appears grapple checks in this situation are always standard actions. Is this correct?

North_Ranger
2013-02-09, 06:39 PM
Q13

Something that I've been wondering... various creatures in the game have racial damage resistances. Such as demons unless you hit them with cold iron, or devils with silver.

Factor in bane weapons: do these weapons automatically bypass DR, or do they still need to be properly aligned, made of the right material or possess enough +bonuses to bypass DR?

Cieyrin
2013-02-09, 08:06 PM
A12 Greater Grapple, in the CRB, allows you to maintain a grapple as a Move, so after you start it you can make a second grapple or you can maintain twice and you only have to succeed at one to maintain for that round.

A13 Banes don't bypass DR against the selected creature any more than any other weapon does. However, note that in the description of Damage Reduction that weapons of a powerful enchantment (+3 or higher) can ignore some DR. Bane raises the effective enhancement bonus of the weapon to at least +3, so you'll auto ignore cold iron and silver DRs when using the proper bane, adamantine at +4 and alignment at +5.

Occasional Sage
2013-02-09, 11:36 PM
A11 There isn't anything in the rules that say what happens when you try to apply Broken to a weapon twice, other than a natural 1 causing it to be destroyed as per Fragile, so the RAW would indicate that once a weapon is Broken, you can't apply Broken a second time via those feats.

You're referring to the "destruction on a natural 1" of an already-broken weapon, right?

Reread. Clearly, yes.

BlackHumor
2013-02-10, 01:49 AM
Fairly silly theoretical questions, so feel free to give this fairly low priority, but, thought I'd ask:

While we were getting my latest PF campaign together, one of the other players proposed as a joke a "unicorn who picks locks with her horn". I was curious if that could actually work, so I looked at the rules expecting it to be outright silly and turns out there's no obvious RAW reason I could find to toss it out (unicorns have int 11, speak common, and can take class levels). The only thing I could think of would be that a unicorn doesn't actually have opposable thumbs or anything, so:

Q14: Do you have to have opposable thumbs to pick locks? (that is, to make the check at all; even if you're at some kind of crazy penalty I would consider that still "able to pick locks")

and supposing you don't,

Q15: Is there anything else in RAW that would prevent a PC unicorn from picking locks?

rockdeworld
2013-02-10, 02:17 AM
A14

No. There is nothing in RAW restricting Disable Device to those with thumbs.

A15

Nope.

Falling
2013-02-10, 02:35 PM
Q16

When getting started with Pathfinder, is it better just to get the books, or the box?

Certified
2013-02-10, 03:53 PM
Q17

When a Hasted character attacks using Furious Focus does the benefit apply to both the first attack and bonus hasted attack?

Cieyrin
2013-02-10, 05:13 PM
A16 That's not exactly what this thread is for but the Beginner Box is a pretty good starting place, though you could be fine with just the core book.

A17 Just the first attack, it doesn't matter that it has the same attack bonus as your first one.

Raven777
2013-02-10, 05:14 PM
Q16 When getting started with Pathfinder, is it better just to get the books, or the box?

A16 This is not really the kind of questions this thread covers. This threads is more about rules. Your question's answer will hang more on opinions, and ideally you'll want several people's opinion. I suggest you instead make a new thread entirely about your question, which will allow different people to answer you in more detail.

Personally, I would suggest the Beginner's Box if you and your friends are entirely new to Tabletop RPGs in general. It comes with its own dices, little card miniatures for characters and monsters, a tiled dungeon map, a sample adventure for four players and an abridged rule book that contains all the details necessary to run that adventure and get the characters up to 5th level, like spells, feats, items and monsters. It really is a neat, exciting, well illustrated, newbie friendly little package. On the other hand, if you are already familiar with other similar systems and want to start big immediately, starting out with the Core Rulebook is perfectly fine. Also, do not forget that if you want to "demo" the system at no expense whatsoever, the core rule set is Open Gaming Content and available for free on d20pfsrd.com (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/) or paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/).

Hope this helped.

EDIT: Swordsage'd by the Goblin cannon squad.

Urpriest
2013-02-10, 07:37 PM
Q18

Are there any monsters that deal ability drain and are
a) Undead
b) Summonable via Summon Monster or Summon Nature's Ally
or
c) Extraplanar and within limits of greater planar ally
?

Edit:

Q19

Are there any items that gain power when their bearer levels or performs specific actions? First party or third party, but please specify which.

Karoht
2013-02-11, 10:36 AM
Q20: Poisons
It says the DC to craft the poison is equal to the save DC of the poison being crafted.
Does that mean that the highest DC poison, namely Dragon's Bile with a fort save of 26, is the highest the poison DC can go? Or can I craft a higher DC version of a given poison?

Yes, I'm aware that futher applications can raise the DC, but that hinges at least one application succeeding first. A 26 DC fort save isn't much. Moreover, I can nearly craft that poison now, at 3rd level.

rockdeworld
2013-02-11, 11:18 PM
A18

Danse Macabre (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/danse-macabre) fulfills (a).

A20

DC26 is the highest. There's no rules for raising the DC to make a stronger poison.

Xerinous
2013-02-11, 11:59 PM
A19:

The only one I've been able to find is the Bladebound Magus' (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/bladebound) Black Blade. It's first party, found in Ultimate Magic.

Karoht
2013-02-12, 12:33 PM
A20
DC26 is the highest. There's no rules for raising the DC to make a stronger poison.And no custom poison rules I take it?
Dang. That sucks.
Thanks anyway.

Felandria
2013-02-12, 12:58 PM
Q 21

How do you determine a PC's CR?

Zherog
2013-02-12, 02:45 PM
A 21

PCs don't have - or need to have - a challenge rating.

Felandria
2013-02-12, 03:47 PM
A 21

PCs don't have - or need to have - a challenge rating.

I'm looking into running a campaign and it involves the party fighting an old character from a previous game, I need to know how to figure out the CR so I know at what point the party would be ready to fight them.

Zherog
2013-02-12, 04:00 PM
A 21

Then you're asking for the CR of an NPC.

Adding NPCs: Creatures whose Hit Dice are solely a factor of their class levels and not a feature of their race, such as all of the PC races detailed in Races, are factored into combats a little differently than normal monsters or monsters with class levels. A creature that possesses class levels, but does not have any racial Hit Dice, is factored in as a creature with a CR equal to its class levels –1. A creature that only possesses non-player class levels (such as a warrior or adept) is factored in as a creature with a CR equal to its class levels –2. If this reduction would reduce a creature's CR to below 1, its CR drops one step on the following progression for each step below 1 this reduction would make: 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8.

Note, too, that NPCs are supposed to have less gear than a PC. If you give an NPC more gear, that's OK; you just need to adjust the CR a bit.

NPC Gear Adjustments: You can significantly increase or decrease the power level of an NPC with class levels by adjusting the NPC's gear. The combined value of an NPC's gear is given in Creating NPCs on Table: NPC Gear. A classed NPC encountered with no gear should have his CR reduced by 1 (provided that loss of gear actually hampers the NPC), while a classed NPC that instead has gear equivalent to that of a PC (as listed on Table: Character Wealth by Level) has a CR of 1 higher than his actual CR. Be careful awarding NPCs this extra gear, though—especially at high levels, where you can blow out your entire adventure's treasure budget in one fell swoop!

So, in short... assuming a "standard" race and all PC class levels, it's total character level minus one, and then adjust for gear.

Yora
2013-02-12, 08:22 PM
Q22: Is there something like a semi-official collection of optional variant rules similar to the Unearthed Arcana section in the d20 SRD for Pathfinder?

Kalaska'Agathas
2013-02-12, 09:28 PM
Q23: May Pathfinder Bards use Silent Spell?

Cieyrin
2013-02-12, 10:34 PM
A22 There isn't a central book of variants, they're pretty spread out between each core book, the Advanced and Ultimate series.

A23 No.

Yora
2013-02-13, 11:59 AM
Q24: Why does a zombie deal 1d6+4 points of damage with a slam, even though it has only 17 Strength?

Q25: Do undead creatures with a negative Charisma modifier get that number as a penalty to their hit points?

Zherog
2013-02-13, 12:51 PM
A 24

It gets 1.5x it's Strength.

If a creature has only one natural attack, it is always made using the creature's full base attack bonus and adds 1-1/2 the creature's Strength bonus on damage rolls. This increase does not apply if the creature has multiple attacks but only takes one.

A 25

Yes.

•No Constitution score. Undead use their Charisma score in place of their Constitution score when calculating hit points, Fortitude saves, and any special ability that relies on Constitution (such as when calculating a breath weapon's DC).

You apply your character's Constitution modifier to:

•Each roll of a Hit Die (though a penalty can never drop a result below 1—that is, a character always gains at least 1 hit point each time he advances in level).

Yora
2013-02-13, 01:21 PM
I see, the Zombie template is speaking of "calculating bonus hit points". But I assume this also means hit point penalties.

Zherog
2013-02-13, 01:25 PM
A 25 additional

Likely, yes. Note that the text you're referring to does say that it uses the Charisma modifier to determine the bonus.

Yora
2013-02-13, 05:34 PM
Q26: Can a ghost ever make a Climb check? The template makes it always a class skill for the creature.

Q27: As an augmented humanoid, can a Ghost be affected by a charm person skill? Or is that only to explain how the creatures BAB and saves have been calculated?

Q28: If you advance a creature with the augmented subtype, does it gain advance BAB and saves like a creature of its original type, or does it effectly "multiclass" into racial HD of the new type?

Q29: Can an undead barbarian still rage?

Zherog
2013-02-13, 06:05 PM
A 26

After reading the incorporeal subtype and the entry in the universal monster rules, Im going to say the answer is No. In 3.5, ghosts and others were on the ethereal plane, and whatever they did on that plane was "real." So in that system, the ghost could make a Climb check while climbing something on the ethereal. But it looks like PF removed all that - ghosts are incorporeal, but nothing in the rules for incorporeal in PF puts them on the ethereal. They just stay on the material plane. Since they can't interact with the items, they can't grasp them to climb.

A 27

No, the ghost's type is undead so it's not a valid target for charm person.

A 28

This will only matter for racial HD, obviously - class levels work as defined for the class.

For racial HD, I think it's a bit unclear and I think somebody could build a cogent argument to go either direction. My interpretation is that (using the ghost as the example) it would be a d8 HD but would otherwise advance as the original creature's BAB, saves, etc. I'm basing that on this:

Do not recalculate the creature's base attack bonus, saves, or skill points.

And making the assumption that it applies to current and future HD. Like I said, I think somebody could very easily make the RAW argument that the above quote only applies to current HD, and that all future HD advance as undead.

edit:

A 29

Yes, but its total number of rounds per day is going to be severely limited since it doesn't have a Con mod.

Yora
2013-02-13, 06:46 PM
Q29+: I found mentions that pointed out that rage provides a morale bonus and morale effects are always mind-affecting, to which undead are immune. So while they could rage, they wouldn't get any benefit from doing so.

Zherog
2013-02-13, 07:03 PM
A 29 additional

Yep, you're right. I stand corrected. Well, sort of. They can rage, they just don't get the benefits (but suffer the penalties):

While in rage, a barbarian gains a +4 morale bonus to her Strength and Constitution, as well as a +2 morale bonus on Will saves. In addition, she takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase to Constitution grants the barbarian 2 hit points per Hit Dice, but these disappear when the rage ends and are not lost first like temporary hit points. While in rage, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

•Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).

So the Str, Con and Will bonuses are all morale, so they can't get those. The penalty to AC is untyped, so they do still get that. And the limitation to skill usage would still apply as well.

gr8artist
2013-02-14, 07:07 AM
Q.30 How many bullets/round does Reloading Hands (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/reloading-hands) load into my revolver (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/revolver), assuming I'm firing 3 times per round with the gun in question.

Once per round, phantom hands load a single ranged weapon or firearm with conjured ammunition.
Loading a firearm:
Loading any firearm provokes attacks of opportunity. Other rules for loading a firearm depend on whether the firearm is an early firearm or an advanced firearm.
Advanced Firearms: Advanced firearms are chamber-loaded. It is a move action to load a one-handed or two-handed advanced firearm to its full capacity. (emphasis mine)

rockdeworld
2013-02-14, 11:14 AM
A30

Ask your DM. Going by the definition of "load," it's ambiguous and can be interpreted either way.

Lictor of Thrax
2013-02-15, 05:32 AM
Q31

I'm just learning pathfinder and thus I've been cramming tons of material into my brain and have become a bit scattershot.

I seem to remember while reading that there was some sort of ability (can't remember if it's feat, spell, class ability or whatever) that adjust the multiplier on your critical range. I believe it was situational . . . but I can't remember where it was from and I've been reading about so many classes and spells that it could be anywhere.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yora
2013-02-15, 06:02 AM
@31: Do you mean the feat "Improved Critical"?
"Adjusting your critical range" is a bit unclear as a description of what you mean.

Lictor of Thrax
2013-02-15, 06:28 AM
@31: Do you mean the feat "Improved Critical"?
"Adjusting your critical range" is a bit unclear as a description of what you mean.

Critical range was the wrong term.

I just meant, I could have sworn I read some spell/ability/feature that allowed you to move your crit multiplier up by 1 point (from X3 to X4, for instance).

It may have even been some temporary trigger or something.

Either that, or I'm just losing my mind.

gr8artist
2013-02-15, 10:18 AM
A: 31
Weapon Mastery, the 20th level capstone ability for the fighter class does exactly what you're asking.
At 20th level, a fighter chooses one weapon, such as the longsword, greataxe, or longbow. Any attacks made with that weapon automatically confirm all critical threats and have their damage multiplier increased by 1 (×2 becomes ×3, for example). In addition, he cannot be disarmed while wielding a weapon of this type.

Q: 32 a
If I have sneak attack (2d6, if it matters) and I cast Acid Arrow (caster level 3, deals 2d4 damage on hit and one round later), how much damage does sneak attack add?
As best I can figure, it'd be 2d4+2d6 on hit, and 2d4 one round later. All damage is acidic. Is this correct?
Q: 32 b
If I crit (x2) with an Acid Arrow (CL 3) attack, how much damage does it deal?
I'm guessing it'd be 4d4 on hit, and 2d4 one round later... but I could be wrong and it'd be 4d4 on the second round, too.
Q: 32 c
If I'm really lucky, and hidden really well, and I sneak attack with a critical strike with an Acid Arrow, how screwed is my opponent?

Xerinous
2013-02-15, 11:17 AM
A32a:

Yes, 2d4+2d6 on hit, 2d4 the round after. All d4's are acid damage, the 2d6, however, is precision damage.

A32b:

4d4 on hit, 2d4 on subsequent rounds. Good rule of thumb: If it doesn't require an attack roll, it can't do critical damage.

A32c:

Slightly. Critical hit on a sneak attack with acid arrow does 4d4+2d6 on hit, and 2d4 the round after.

Yora
2013-02-15, 01:01 PM
Q33: Are there any naturally blind creatures in the Bestiaries?

Q34: What are the attack bonus and damage for a skum that attacks without weapons? I don't really understand how primary and secondary natural attacks are determined and calculated.

DonDuckie
2013-02-16, 10:10 AM
Q35: Can the caster level requirement of golems(and other constructs) be overcome by adding +5 to the craft DC?

Q36: Can skill ranks requirements of magic items be overcome by increasing the craft DC?

Q37: Can the caster level requirement of magic items(constructs) be fullfilled by another caster without the Craft Construct feat?
Q37b: with the feat?

Urpriest
2013-02-16, 01:08 PM
Q38

Can the item of Refuge be given to/used by the caster?

As a related question, does Pathfinder have a definition of ally?

Occasional Sage
2013-02-16, 02:39 PM
Q39

Are there spells or enchantments which reduce ASF?

Reverent-One
2013-02-16, 04:41 PM
Q34: What are the attack bonus and damage for a skum that attacks without weapons? I don't really understand how primary and secondary natural attacks are determined and calculated.

A34:
For the Skum specifically, +4 attack bonus for each claws and bite, 1d4 + 2/1d6 + 2 damage for the claws/bite respectively.

On the more general subject, whether they're primary or secondary is determined by type, as seen on this table (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Natural-Attacks), with the exceptions A) if using a manufactured weapon, all natural attacks are secondary, B) if a creature only possesses (note: not uses, possesses) a single type of natural attack, it's always primary.

For primary attacks, the attack bonus is made at full BAB. The full strength bonus is added to damage (unless it only possesses a single natural attack, in which case it's 1 1/2 times strength bonus).

Secondary attacks are made at BAB-5, and only add half the strength modifier to damage. As is the case with the Skum, the Multiattack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/multiattack-combat)monster feat reduces that penalty to -2.

Yora
2013-02-16, 07:32 PM
Q34-b: And why does a tiger have:
Melee 2 claws +10 (1d8+6 plus grab), bite +9 (2d6+6 plus grab)

The +1 to claws is from Weapon Focus, but why are all attacks primaries? Lizardfolk have all primaries, too. Is there a rule for that or random design choice? (Or just plain wrong?)

Axinian
2013-02-16, 08:41 PM
A34-b

As Reverent-One said, the primary or secondary status of a natural weapon is determined by the nature of the weapon, not how many natural attacks the creature has. Claws are usually primary, for example. Thus, it is quite possible for a creature to have only primary natural attacks.

Occasional Sage
2013-02-17, 11:28 AM
Q40

Does the movement of Following Step provoke attacks of opportunity, or does the wording of Step Up make it mechanically a 5' and therefore safe?

Step Up (Combat)

You can close the distance when a foe tries to move away.

Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.

Benefit: Whenever an adjacent foe attempts to take a 5-foot step away from you, you may also make a 5-foot step as an immediate action so long as you end up adjacent to the foe that triggered this ability. If you take this step, you cannot take a 5-foot step during your next turn. If you take an action to move during your next turn, subtract 5 feet from your total movement.

Following Step (Combat)

You can repeatedly close the distance when foes try to move away, without impeding your normal movement.

Prerequisites: Dex 13, Step Up.

Benefit: When using the Step Up feat to follow an adjacent foe, you may move up to 10 feet. You may still take a 5-foot step during your next turn, and any movement you make using this feat does not subtract any distance from your movement during your next turn.

Normal: You can only take a 5-foot step to follow an opponent using Step Up.

Yora
2013-02-17, 04:29 PM
A40: The way it is worded, the 10 foot movement is not a 5-foot step, nor does it say that it should be treated similar to one.
So normal rules for attacks of opportunity caused by movement should apply.

Urpriest
2013-02-17, 05:10 PM
Q41: When Miracle is used to duplicate a spell with a descriptor (such as [Good], or [Air]), does it become a spell of that type?

Yora
2013-02-17, 07:09 PM
A41: Since spells like summon monster explicitly state that they gain these descriptors, it would appear that it's a rule specific to these spells and not a universial rule.
And as wish and mircale do not include such statements, by RAW they don't get the desciptors.

Though I think that it's likely an oversight and descripts should be added anyway.

Suddo
2013-02-17, 10:12 PM
Q42: Can you enchant a Black Blade from the Bladebound Magus?

I know it already has enchantments but can you further enchant it to have other things. I know about the +10 rule but that won't interfer with the bulid I'm doing. The specific build:

Basically I want to dip 3 levels of Magus to get an unbreakable Axe Musket and then build a Gunslinger around it but I don't want to do that if I can never have better than a +1 weapon.

Yora
2013-02-18, 02:15 PM
Q43: A Hill Giant has a BAB of +7, Dexterity 8, and is large size, but still throws rocks at a +6 bonus to attack. Is that a mistake or am I missing a +1 bonus somewhere?

Xerinous
2013-02-18, 02:20 PM
A43:

Rock Throwing (under Special Attacks) grants a +1 racial bonus to hit with thrown rocks.

Yora
2013-02-18, 06:00 PM
Q44: If I am attacked by an enemy with Spring Attack who uses a reach weapon, can I ready an action to "make a 5-foot step and make a standard attack", or can I only ready a 5-foot movement and have to hope for an Attack of Opportunity?

Reverent-One
2013-02-18, 07:28 PM
A44:

Per the rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Ready), you may make a 5 foot step as part of an readied action, so you can ready an action to attack him and take a 5 foot step as needed to make the attack.

MrLemon
2013-02-19, 08:47 AM
A44 Addendum
The usual restrictions on 5ft-steps apply however.

Also, even if you move before your enemy strikes, he will still be able to hit you with his weapon, if he has at least 5ft of movement remaining (Spring Attack does not require you to move after the attack)

Raven777
2013-02-19, 12:35 PM
Q45 Assuming Psionics Unleashed being in play, can arcane Wishes replicate Psionics like they do Divine?

Zherog
2013-02-19, 01:12 PM
A 45

Nothing in the RAW indicates that's possible (well, other than GM fiat, that is). Whatever is said on the topic in a 3rd party book is out-of-scope for this discussion.

Yora
2013-02-19, 05:16 PM
A45: From reality revision, the psionic wish power:

Duplicate any Psion power of 8th level or lower, provided the power is not on a discipline-restricted list that you do not have access to.
Duplicate any Psion power of 7th level or lower even if it’s a power on a discipline-restricted list that you do not have access to.
Duplicate any other power or spell of 6th level or lower, such as a psychic warrior power.

As reality revision can duplicate spells of 6th level and lower, wish would also be able to duplicate psionic powers of 6th level and lower.

Zherog
2013-02-19, 05:35 PM
A 45 disagreement

I think that's a fine house rule, but that's not what the RAW says. Nothing in wish allows for it to duplicate psionic powers (obviously, since they don't exist in RAW). Unless something explicitly in the 3rd party product alters wish then that limitation remains.

Ravens_cry
2013-02-21, 08:07 AM
Q46
Eh, I remember a feat that gave you (and your mount) bonus damage based on how far your mount moved. Anyone remember where and what this was exactly? Or if I am just a dreamer

Yora
2013-02-21, 08:11 AM
Q47: Is there any benefit from making a magic item at a caster level higher than the minimum required to cast the prerequisite spells, except for the DC to supress it's power for 1d4 rounds with a dispel magic spell?

Ravens_cry
2013-02-21, 08:29 AM
Q47: Is there any benefit from making a magic item at a caster level higher than the minimum required to cast the prerequisite spells, except for the DC to supress it's power for 1d4 rounds with a dispel magic spell?

A47
Well, depending on the spell, it could have a greater effect, for example doing more damage. Any other answer is really beyond the scope of a RAW thread.
Edit: Oh, and it makes it harder to identify.

Felandria
2013-02-22, 12:49 AM
Q48

Does a character gain an attribute point at 24th level?

Yora
2013-02-22, 06:54 AM
A48: By RAW, there is no level 24. There is one short section in the SRD that says that if you want to progress beyond 20th level, HD, BAB, and saves increase normally, but it does not say that characters would get more feats and ability score increases.
But since everything beyond 20th level is essentially house rules, continuing to give feats at every second level and ability score increases at every fourth level would be the sensible thing to do.

Yora
2013-02-23, 08:41 AM
Q49: The beast shape spells say "you gain a +2 size bonus to your Dexterity and a +1 natural armor bonus".

Is this meant as an increase to your already existing natural armor bonus, or does it replace it?

Zherog
2013-02-23, 12:12 PM
A 49

As worded, it replaces your own natural armor bonus.

Xerinous
2013-02-23, 11:06 PM
Q50:

Does Glitterdust reveal invisible incorporeal creatures?

MrLemon
2013-02-24, 10:01 AM
A50
Yes.
A cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in the area
There is no exception whatsoever.

Barring things explicitly immune to glitterdust (which I doubt exist), I don't think you can get around the glowing part of the spell, which is part of why it is still (even after the PF nerf) considered to be overall great

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-24, 09:06 PM
Q51

Is there any way to add my Dexterity modifier to damage with a ranged weapon that is not a gun?

gr8artist
2013-02-25, 03:03 AM
Q 52 (A)
Can a character tell the difference between being blinded and the lights going out? or being deafened as opposed to entering a zone of silence?
Q 52 (B)
Can a character tell if they've made a save and passed?
Q 52 (C)
Can a character tell that they've entered an antimagic field? This is, of course, completely obvious if they're carrying active magical items.
Q 52 (D)
Can a character tell if a protective effect (such as the deflection bonus from ring of protection) is suppressed or expired? (ie. he walks into an antimagic field)

MrLemon
2013-02-25, 03:42 AM
A51
Not according to the X stat to Y bonus thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732). Then again, I don't see DEX to Gun Damage in there, so it seems to be incomplete regarding PF stuff.

A52
(A) I don't think there's a RAW answer, but use common sense.
Not everything that makes you blinded makes you lose your eyesight. Glitterdust for example, or the Blinding Light feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/blinding-light)
Concerning Blindness/Deafness, I don't think so.

(B) Yes, though it can't deduce the nature of the spell without other clues (like an explosion in their face).
A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature's saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell, you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.

(C) Nothing in the spell description would suggest so. (Fun thing to remember for DMing :smallamused:)

(D) I don't see anything about that in RAW, but I tend towards no. At least not until he sees it in inaction (i.e. get hit, when normally the attack should have been deflected)

gr8artist
2013-02-25, 04:02 AM
Thanks

Q 53 (A)
Can a barbarian use Strength Surge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/strength-surge-ex) after rolling a combat maneuver check, but before knowing if his roll succeeded or failed?
Q 53 (B)
Can a barbarian use Strength Surge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/strength-surge-ex) after failing a CMB or CMD check in hopes to succeed on that check?

Strength Surge (Ex):
Benefit: The barbarian adds her barbarian level on one Strength check or combat maneuver check, or to her Combat Maneuver Defense when an opponent attempts a maneuver against her. This power is used as an immediate action.
Special: This power can only be used once per rage.

Our group is having a little trouble pinpointing when EXACTLY an immediate action can be used.

CTrees
2013-02-25, 09:46 AM
Q54
What constitutes being "underground?" Going by common, dictionary definition/usage ("beneath the surface of the ground"), being in basements, sewers, lower levels of many dungeons, etc. would all count, along with caves, mines, and so forth.

What got me wondering was the svirfneblin-they get a bonus to stealth while "underground." By flavor, this would seem to be limited to more chthonic locales, like caves or mines. However, I'm not sure that restriction is actually present in RAW - would a svirfneblin get its additional stealth bonus in, say, a New York subway terminal?

Zherog
2013-02-25, 10:10 AM
A 54 (partial)

The only definition (sort of) that I know of for "underground" is in the ranger's favored terrain class feature. It says:

Underground (caves and dungeons)

that said, one could make an argument that the NYC subway system is a cave and/or a dungeon.

So ultimately, I think the answer is that "underground" is shorthand for "caves and dungeons" and that what qualifies as a cave or dungeon is up to the GM's interpretation.

(I marked the answer as "partial" in case somebody else has another in-game definition available.)

Earthwalker
2013-02-25, 10:25 AM
Q55
Can a Witch use the fortune Hex outside of combat, then combining Fortune and Cackle effect everyone in the party with fortune and keep it running all combat with Cackle ?

MrLemon
2013-02-25, 02:21 PM
A55
Yes.

Although the witch would stop every round to laugh maniacally, which would lead to some guys coming to offer her a nice new jacket and a magically padded cell.
This is the same as the ranger stopping every minute for active perception checks.

Yora
2013-02-25, 05:30 PM
Q56: How is the Cave Giants Climb modifier calculated?
It's listed as +6. If they have 1 Rank, with 23 Strength, a +3 bonus for being a class skill, and a -3 penalty from armor, it would be +7. If they have no ranks, they also don't get the bonus for a class skill, making it +3.

Q57: Erinyes have 3 skill points left. Either they only use 3 of their 4 additional bonus skills or the writer forgott that any creature with a Fly speed has Fly as a class skill.
Any clarification for this?

AfroDyyd
2013-02-26, 03:49 PM
Q58

Im not exactly sure what "Melee 2 claws +5 (1d4+1)" means...
does it mean the monster can do a full attack and attack twice? or does it mean that by fluff it attacks with both claws?
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/fey/skin-stealer
is the monster i got the attack from

Zherog
2013-02-26, 04:01 PM
A 58

When the monster makes a full attack, it gets 2 claw attacks. For each attack, roll a d20 and add 5.

If something prevents the creature from making a full attack - such as taking a move action in the round - it can attack with one claw, also made at +5.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-26, 04:43 PM
Q59

If I have the party fight another adventuring party, or a group of characters that could be PCs, how do I calculate the CR?

Zherog
2013-02-26, 04:48 PM
A 59

The CR of an NPC (assuming "standard" races) is the NPC's class levels -1 if their class levels are PC levels, and class levels -2 if their class levels are in NPC classes.

If you give the NPC gear based on the PC wealth rather than the NPC wealth, that raises the CR of the NPC by 1.

For example, a 5th level wizard with NPC gear is a CR 4; the same wizard with PC gear is CR 5.

edit to add some PRD quotes:

Adding NPCs: Creatures whose Hit Dice are solely a factor of their class levels and not a feature of their race, such as all of the PC races detailed in Races, are factored into combats a little differently than normal monsters or monsters with class levels. A creature that possesses class levels, but does not have any racial Hit Dice, is factored in as a creature with a CR equal to its class levels –1. A creature that only possesses non-player class levels (such as a warrior or adept) is factored in as a creature with a CR equal to its class levels –2. If this reduction would reduce a creature's CR to below 1, its CR drops one step on the following progression for each step below 1 this reduction would make: 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, 1/8.

NPC Gear Adjustments: You can significantly increase or decrease the power level of an NPC with class levels by adjusting the NPC's gear. The combined value of an NPC's gear is given in Creating NPCs on Table: NPC Gear. A classed NPC encountered with no gear should have his CR reduced by 1 (provided that loss of gear actually hampers the NPC), while a classed NPC that instead has gear equivalent to that of a PC (as listed on Table: Character Wealth by Level) has a CR of 1 higher than his actual CR. Be careful awarding NPCs this extra gear, though—especially at high levels, where you can blow out your entire adventure's treasure budget in one fell swoop!

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-26, 04:57 PM
Q 60

A) How many CR-appropriate encounters is it suggested to give PCs per day?

B) What about per level?

I remember seeing this information somewhere, but I can't find it in the GM guide.

gr8artist
2013-02-26, 07:28 PM
Decided to make Q 53 into its own topic.

Q 61
A) Does the damage from a Suli's racial power stack with an elemental weapon property if both are the same element type? (say suli fire and a flaming weapon)
B) What if they're different types? (Suli fire and a shock weapon)
C) If a weapon has two properties that give elemental damage, such as flaming and flaming burst, does the damage stack?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-26, 08:31 PM
A 61

A) Yes.

Elemental Assault (Su) Once per day as a swift action, a suli can shroud her arms in acid, cold, electricity, or fire. This lasts for one round per level, and can be dismissed as a free action. Unarmed strikes with her arms or hands (or attacks with weapons held in those hands) deal +1d6 points of damage of the appropriate energy type.

B) Yes. As a counterexample, the Sun Metal (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/spells/sunMetal.html) spell specifies that the fire damage it adds doesn't stack with a Frost or Icy Burst weapon, but Elemental Assault doesn't, so if it was meant to not stack it would have said so.

C) No.

Flaming Burst: A flaming burst weapon functions as a flaming weapon that also explodes with flame upon striking a successful critical hit. The fire does not harm the wielder. In addition to the extra fire damage from the flaming ability (see above)....Even if the flaming ability is not active, the weapon still deals its extra fire damage on a successful critical hit.

Flaming Burst does not stack with flaming. Flaming Burst does apparently stack with another element, though.

Flaming: Upon command, a flaming weapon is sheathed in fire that deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit. The fire does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until another command is given.

This bolded line shows that when another command is given, the last element deactivates, so you cannot have more than one active at a time.

JimboG
2013-02-27, 02:55 AM
Q62

The Crocodile animal companion available to Druids normally has only one attack: Bite, and thus adds 1.5 STR to its damage. However, when it upgrades at LVL 4 it gains the Tail Slap attack, but he cannot use both in a single round and must choose which to use before attacking (indicated by the "bite or tail slap" in the description). Does he still get to use 1.5 STR to whichever attack he chooses, or does he lose the 1.5 STR rule because of having multiple attacks despite not actually getting to attack more than once a round?

Crocodile
Crocodile

Starting Statistics

Size Small; Speed 20 ft., swim 30 ft.; AC +4 natural armor; Attack bite (1d6 plus grab); Ability Scores Str 15, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2; Special Qualities hold breath, low-light vision.

4th-Level Advancement

Size Medium; Attack bite (1d8) or tail slap (1d12); Ability Scores Str +4, Dex –2, Con +2; Special Attacks death roll, sprint.

Yora
2013-02-27, 06:34 AM
A62: The regular stat block for a normal crocodile creature says bite and tail slap. which makes a lot more sense. I am not aware of any creature with multiple natural attacks, that can only use one at a time, so I would assume the "or" being a mistake and the crocodile getting both, just as in the creature description.

Sir Cirdan
2013-02-27, 03:16 PM
Q63

A lance is a two handed weapon. "While mounted you can wield a lance with one hand." By RAW, does a lance, when wielded in one hand, count as a one-handed or a two-handed weapon for purposes of Str bonus and power attack damage?

MrLemon
2013-02-27, 03:45 PM
A63
One-handed weapon is a fixed game term. Wielding a lance in one hand does not make it a one-handed weapon, so you still apply 1-1/2 STR bonus. The same applies for Power attack.

Like someone said somewhere in some signature: RAW, 100% rules, 110% silly :smallwink:

CockroachTeaParty
2013-02-27, 03:50 PM
Q64

What exactly is the benefit of the 'Arcane Training' alternate racial trait for half-elves?

It reads:

Arcane Training Half-elves occasionally seek tutoring to help them master the magic in their blood. Half-elves with this racial trait have only one favored class, and it must be an arcane spellcasting class. They can use spell trigger and spell completion items for their favored class as if one level higher (or as a 1st-level character if they have no levels in that class). This racial trait replaces the multitalented racial trait.

I thought that the effectiveness of magic items was based on the creator's caster level and abilities, except for staves? How/when does Arcane Training make any difference?

(Aside from allowing a non-arcane-spellcasting class to use spell-trigger etc. items...)

JimboG
2013-02-27, 04:22 PM
Q 65

Can a character voluntarily hold his breath to avoid the effects of a gas attack or trap?

Reverent-One
2013-02-27, 05:39 PM
A63 Correction

A two handed weapon doesn't automatically deal 1-1/2 str damage, it's because it's wielded in two hands that makes it get that bonus damage.

Wielding a Weapon Two-Handed: When you deal damage wth a weapon that you are wielding two-handed, you add 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus (Strength penalties are not multiplied). You don't get this higher Strength bonus, however, when using a light weapon with two hands.

So a lance you're wielding one handed would only get your str modifer's worth of damage as a bonus.

A64

Spell completion items require you to be the right level in the whatever class the spell is on the list of in order to complete the spells (at least, without needing to make a caster level check), that ability should allow you to freely use spell completion items that you normally wouldn't unless you were one level higher. As for spell trigger items, by my reading, the benefit there is being able to use staffs as if one level higher.

Bhaakon
2013-02-28, 12:22 AM
A65

Yes.

A creature can attempt to hold its breath while inside the area to avoid inhaling the toxin. A creature holding its breath receives a 50% chance of not having to make a Fortitude save each round.

Limits for how long a character can hold their breath can be found in the Environmental Rules section of the core rule book under Suffocation.

AfroDyyd
2013-02-28, 10:04 AM
Q66
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/fey/skin-stealer can this monster take the form of a human or dwarf baby? or would a baby be considered a tiny sized creature?

Yora
2013-02-28, 12:55 PM
A66: I don't know for any hard definitions of size categories in PF. But the guidelines in 3.5e are for Small size being under 4 feet tall, for tiny being under 2 feet. A very young human would be tiny size (and a newborn possibly diminutive).

Karoht
2013-02-28, 02:39 PM
Q67: Spell Storing/Conductive
My Ninja wields a gun. I'm looking to use the gun as a delivery system for some spells, most likely from wands.
I'm not certain of my reading of the Conductive Enchant for ammunition. Would I be able to expend two charges of a wand to store a spell in the ammo and then fire it?

Q67a:
If that doesn't work is there another way to achieve the desired effect that I am missing?

Cieyrin
2013-02-28, 08:37 PM
A67 Spellstoring is melee only, so let's just talk about Conductive. Conductive only works with Spell-like and Supernatural abilities, neither of which is a wand, which uses actual spells. So no, you couldn't use a Wand to power up your bullets.

A67a Myrmidrach Magi's Ranged Spellstrike works rather well, though that'd be quite a dip to get to work.

warmachine
2013-03-01, 11:00 AM
Q68
What options exist for an Elven Rogue to acquire more skill points than normal (besides class skill bonus) without changing class or increasing INT?

Karoht
2013-03-01, 11:10 AM
A67 Spellstoring is melee only, so let's just talk about Conductive. Conductive only works with Spell-like and Supernatural abilities, neither of which is a wand, which uses actual spells. So no, you couldn't use a Wand to power up your bullets.

A67a Myrmidrach Magi's Ranged Spellstrike works rather well, though that'd be quite a dip to get to work.
It's okay, that was the conclusion I was reaching as well.
For the purpose I had in mind, I'm pretty certain a DM would have thrown a book at me anyway.

soulsabre345
2013-03-02, 03:33 AM
Q 69
Can an Antipaladin's Aura of Cowardice cause a undead or golem or any other immune to mind affecting creature to be subject to fear?

Cieyrin
2013-03-02, 10:35 AM
A 69 Constructs and Undead aren't immune to fear, actually, they're immune to mind-affecting effects, which most fear types tend to have as a subtype. Aura of Cowardice doesn't remove that immunity, so no.

Raven777
2013-03-02, 10:48 PM
Q 70 So... The flight of dragons. Wing powered and making physics cry, or magical and kept if they're animated into skeletons?

Ravanan
2013-03-03, 01:36 AM
Q 71 Are metamagicked cantrips expended when cast?

In other words, is it that the 0-level spell slot that can never be expended, or that the 0-level spell can never be expended?

Yora
2013-03-03, 08:38 AM
A71: Technically it does indeed say that level 0 spells are never expanded and metamagic feat say they don't alter the spells level in any way, even though it takes up a higher level slot.
So by the letter of the word, you can indeed cast a metamagic cantrip all day long without limitation.

(But since you still have to reserve one slot for them and you would need a lot of metamagic feats to truly make them powerful, this might not actually be that imbalanced and could actually be intended.)

Cieyrin
2013-03-03, 09:54 AM
A 70 Nothing in the Bestiary suggests that dragon flight is Supernatural, so it is indeed an Extraordinary ability and lost if made skeletal.

A 71 disagreement A metamagiced 0-level spell is not generally a 0-level spell any more, as it requires a higher level slot to cast, a limited resource. It doesn't fit within your 0-level slots anymore, so you have to expend a larger amount of energy to cast such a spell. For example, if a 6th level Sorcerer knows Acid Splash and has the Maximized feat, she could apply Maximized to Acid Splash and cast it as a 3rd level spell, using one of her 3rd level slots for the day. It doesn't matter where it started, it matters where it ends.

Zherog
2013-03-03, 09:55 AM
A 70

Short answer: Skeletal dragons cannot fly.

Longer answer: "Flight" in the Universal Monster Rules is defined as being either an Ex or Su ability.

Flight (Ex or Su) A creature with this ability can cease or resume flight as a free action. If the ability is supernatural, it becomes ineffective in an antimagic field, and the creature loses its ability to fly for as long as the antimagic effect persists.

Format: fly 30 ft. (average); Location: Speed.

However, I don't see any way of telling the difference from one entry to another.

That said, by RAW I don't think we need to figure out if a dragon's flight is Ex or Su to determine if a skeleton version can fly or not.

Speed: A winged skeleton can't use its wings to fly. If the base creature flew magically, so can the skeleton. All other movement types are retained.

Dragons have wings; therefore a skeletal dragon cannot fly.

Non-RAW suppositions:

My hunch is that the intent for flight is that creatures with wings have the extraordinary ability, while creatures without wings (an air elemental, for example) has a supernatural ability. But that's not actually spelled out in the rules, as best as I can tell.

Earthwalker
2013-03-03, 10:38 AM
Q72

Sneak attacks and rays. If you have a spell that produces multiple rays. Do you get sneak attack damage with each ray or just the first. Also is this clarified in the rules somewhere ?

Cieyrin
2013-03-03, 11:51 AM
A 72 You need to meet three conditions: 1) You need to make an attack roll, 2) it needs to do damage (no rays of enfeeblement) and 3) the conditions for the sneak attack need to be met, i.e. the target needs to be denied their Dex and within 30'. As long as those conditions are met, you can sneak with any and all rays.

Yora
2013-03-03, 01:18 PM
Q73: When a rogue increases his Intelligence score to make his intelligence modifier increase, does he also gain an additional skill for the Skill Mastery rogue talent?

Ravanan
2013-03-04, 01:05 AM
A73 Per RAI, (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/intAndSkills&page=1#9) all ability bonuses are retroactive. Unless an ability (like the alternate racial trait of Samsarans) specifies otherwise, and Skill Mastery does not, you do get the retroactive bonus, in this case the extra Skill Mastery skill.

RFLS
2013-03-04, 04:11 AM
Q 74: If a rogue gains the ability to cast a spell that requires an attack roll and deals ability damage, can his sneak attack apply to the ability damage?

Yora
2013-03-04, 05:02 AM
A74: Sneak Attack seems only to deal hit point damage. Ability damage is something entirely else, so it shouldn't apply to that.

gr8artist
2013-03-04, 07:14 AM
A 74 disagreement
I could find nothing in the description of precision damage that causes it to exclude ability damage. Neither could I find anything in the description of Ability damage that makes it excluded from precision.
Link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/glossary): look under "damage"

Interestingly, there's no mention of 3.5's rule that precision damage was the same type as the damage from the rest of the attack.
If this is the case, precision damage from a scorching ray spell could bypass fire resistance.

Q 75
If using an elemental damage attack (ie. scorching ray) does a rogue's sneak attack deal elemental damage?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-04, 04:26 PM
A 75

Precision Damage: Precision damage is a special type of damage, which might more appropriately be called a "category" of damage because any of the other damage types listed here might also be considered "precision" damage under the right circumstances. Precision damage is usually dealt by classes like the rogue when he is able to catch an opponent unable to fully protect itself...

Yes.

Zherog
2013-03-04, 04:31 PM
A 75 dispute

That answer appears to be "3rd party" - that is, added by the folks who run d20pfsrd.com. I can't find that text in the PRD Glossary (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/glossary.html).

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-04, 05:16 PM
To avoid getting the thread stuck, I've made my response to Zherog's A 75 dispute into its own thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14827465).

re_e
2013-03-04, 11:15 PM
Q 76
A cleric of a nature deity can choose Animal and Terrain Domains (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/animal-and-terrain-domains)?

Zherog
2013-03-04, 11:24 PM
A 76

Not without GM permission. The rule you linked is a druid archetype. It does say this at the end:

Other nature-themed classes with access to domains may select an animal or terrain domain in place of a regular domain.

So while that seems quite clear to mean clerics, it doesn't actually come out and say so. Which, sadly, leaves the decision in the hands of the GM.

RFLS
2013-03-06, 04:28 PM
Q 77: A question that came up in one of my campaigns (journal in sig) is how Vow of Peace interacts with mundane weapons. Do they really just shatter?

Zherog
2013-03-06, 04:45 PM
A 77 (confusion)

What would make you believe Vow of Peace would do something to a weapon?

Vow of Peace: The monk must strive to attain peace and may only use violence as a last resort. He can never strike the first blow in combat. If attacked, he must use the fight defensively action or the total defense action for the first 2 rounds. He must always give his opponent the option to surrender, and cannot purposely slay another creature that could reasonably be influenced to flee or join a civilized society as a productive member (obviously this excludes many monsters). Many monks who have taken this vow learn how to grapple and pin opponents, tying them with specialized knots that allow them to work themselves free after sufficient effort. Many monks of peace are vegetarians. A monk with this vow increases his ki pool by 1 ki point for every 5 monk levels (minimum +1).

Did you perhaps intend to ask this in the 3.5 thread rather than the Pathfinder thread?

RFLS
2013-03-06, 04:52 PM
A 77 (confusion)

What would make you believe Vow of Peace would do something to a weapon?

Did you perhaps intend to ask this in the 3.5 thread rather than the Pathfinder thread?

Crap, yeah. Well, no, because we're using PF core rules, but allowing 3.5 imports. I totally forgot that there was a Vow of Peace in Pathfinder, too. But I can go ask it there, too.

facelessminion
2013-03-07, 12:46 AM
Q 78

In Pathfinder, if an animal companion gains sentient intelligence - in this case an INT of 6 - would it be able to qualify for class levels for its progression instead of animal levels?

Man on Fire
2013-03-07, 03:52 AM
Q 79

From SRD on White-Haired Witch:

At 1st level, a white-haired witch gains the ability to use her hair as a weapon. This functions as a primary natural attack with a reach of 5 feet. The hair deals 1d4 points of damage (1d3 for a Small witch) plus the witch’s Intelligence modifier. In addition, whenever the hair strikes a foe, the witch can attempt to grapple that foe with her hair as a free action* without provoking an attack of opportunity, using her Intelligence modifier in place of her Strength modifier when making the combat maneuver check. When a white-haired witch grapples a foe in this way, she does not gain the grappled condition.

And on a Vampire:

A vampire can suck blood from a grappled opponent; if the vampire establishes or maintains a pin, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution damage. The vampire heals 5 hit points or gains 5 temporary hit points for 1 hour (up to a maximum number of temporary hit points equal to its full normal hit points) each round it drains blood.

So, can Vampire White-haired Witch drain blod from people she grapples with her hair?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-07, 04:04 PM
Q 80

What exactly is and isn't included in a transformation spell, such as Beast Shape? AC? Hit points? Saves? SLAs? CMB/CMD?

Yora
2013-03-07, 05:29 PM
A78: I don't really have an RAW to support this, but animal companions are class features and not separate characters. While everything with Intelligence 3 or higher can have class levels, I feel very certain that such an animal would no longer qualify as an animal companion.

A79: Yes.

A80: You get the creatures natural attacks and everything that is listed in the spells description. Speeds listed in the spell are maximum speeds. If the creature has a lower speed than these, you have to use the lower speed.

Cieyrin
2013-03-07, 08:54 PM
A78 Addendum Increasing your Animal Companion's Intelligence does not change its status as an Animal Companion. The rules already detail what happens when they have an Int of 3 or higher, none of which changes how the companion progresses.

A79 Addendum Do note you have to Pin an opponent to drain blood, not just grappled. The ability is just like Grab, so when you hit you get a free action Grapple. You still have to make another Grapple action to Pin, which you could do via Greater Grapple to make that second Grapple as a Move action.

Addi
2013-03-08, 03:22 AM
Q81: Is it possible to cast "Fox's Cunning" onto the Blackblade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/bladebound) of a Bladebound Magus to increase its Arcane Pool by 2?

Q82: The Magus Spellstrike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus#TOC-Spellstrike-Su-) class feature allows you to channel the free touch attack from a touch spell through your blade. Is this true, even when you cast two touch spells per round(one as a swift action for example)?

Xerinous
2013-03-08, 05:48 PM
A81:

Yes. Intelligent magic items, such as the Blackblade, count as constructs, and so are considered creatures and are valid targets for Fox's Cunning and the like.

A82:

Yes.

Cieyrin
2013-03-08, 09:52 PM
A81 Addendum Temporary bonuses don't increase limited use abilities, so while you can target it with a Fox's Cunning, the Blackblade's Arcane Pool wouldn't increase. A permanent bonus, like if you Wished it a higher bonus or gave it a Crimson Sphere or a Scarlet and Blue Sphere Ioun Stone and waited 24 hours, would increase its Arcane Pool.

NixonsBack87
2013-03-09, 11:26 PM
Q 83
What are the rules for drawing throwing weapons as you attack? Logic says you can, but RAW says (at least to me) that without the feat Quick Draw one couldn't throw more weapons in a round than already held in hand, even in a full-attack. I just want to know if I have to take a feat for my 20th level fighter to throw one weapon per allowed attack according to his BAB.

Q84
On the same subject, would the Two-weapon Fighting feats allow additional attacks with the off hand also throwing (assuming all applicable penalties), and if so, how would they interact with my above question?

Bhaakon
2013-03-10, 01:58 AM
A83

Drawing a weapon is a move action, even for throwing weapons. You can not throw more weapons than you have in hand as part of a full attack without a means to lower that draw action cost. Spring loaded sheaths (which reduce the draw to a swift action) can do this for players with only 2 attacks a round, but your level 20 fighter example would need the Quick Draw feat to get all his attacks.

A84

You may duel wield one-handed throwing weapons, but the same weapon drawing action limitations from A83 apply. Basically, you need quick draw to take full advantage of the extra attacks.

Yora
2013-03-10, 02:18 AM
A84: Directly taken from the rules: "If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one."
In a situation where a character can draw one weapon as a move action, a character with Two-Weapon Fighting can draw both weapons as a move action. However, you still only have time left for a single standard attack that round.

NixonsBack87
2013-03-10, 07:07 PM
Q85
A dhampir sorcerer affected by the spell Chill Touch. Since it is clearly stated to be a negative energy effect, the racial trait Negative Energy Affinity says he should deal damage to himself, which in fact heals him by that amount instead, since negative energy affects him as an undead. But the spell has a completely different effect if used on an undead. Which effect should be used, does he heal himself, or risk causing himself to become panicked?

Xerinous
2013-03-10, 10:26 PM
A85:

The dhampir heals himself. Dhampirs are humanoids with the dhampir subtype, not undead, and so aren't treated as undead for anything that does not explicitly say that they are, such as how negative energy treats them.

Yora
2013-03-11, 04:46 AM
Q86: Would it make any difference if the change shape ability of lycanthropes would be based on beast shape II instead of polymorph?

Q87: Are the stats for the hybrid form in any way different from the animal form, except speed?

Q88: Is an ongoing supernatural effect detectable with detect magic?

Addi
2013-03-12, 04:34 AM
A86: Since polymorph itself states that you should use beast shape II for animal shapes, I think it wouldn't matter. (This is possibly a remnant from 3.5, where there were no beast shape spells)

A87: I can't find any differences except that all your items would function normally in hybrid form, but merge in animal form.

Edit: Source - PFSRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Transmutation-Polymorph)
When you cast a polymorph spell that changes you into a creature of the animal, dragon, elemental, magical beast, plant, or vermin type, all of your gear melds into your body. Items that provide constant bonuses and do not need to be activated continue to function while melded in this way (with the exception of armor and shield bonuses, which cease to function). Items that require activation cannot be used while you maintain that form. etc.

A88: I guess the rules don't cover this. Detect Magic especially mentions spells and magic items.... nothing else. (Maybe you can just detect things with a caster level.)

Addi
2013-03-13, 04:08 AM
Q89: Does the Spell Stone Shield (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/stone-shield) grant Total Cover (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Cover) for a dwarf with a height of under 5ft. and thus blocking line of effect?

gr8artist
2013-03-13, 03:59 PM
Q 90
Am I missing something, or is a wondrous items for a permanent enlarge/reduce person ridiculously cheap?
Estimating GP values for magic items (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#Table-Estimating-Magic-Item-Gold-Piece-Values)
Enlarge person spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/enlarge-person)
Formula for a continuous effect measured in minutes is: Spell level x Caster level x 2000 x 2
By my math it comes out to (1)*(1)*(2000)*(2) = 4000 gold.

Like a ring of invisibility, the item can be activated or deactivated as a standard action. Alternatively, you could have it be a permanent effect while wearing the item, but then they'd just slip the ring off and on as a move action.

AdInfinitum
2013-03-13, 04:25 PM
Q91: If a monster has Regeneration 10/Evil, does a +5 weapon cause it to stop working, or is that just DR?

Yora
2013-03-13, 04:27 PM
A90: You are correct, 1st level spell items are extremely cheap.

However, the ring of invisibility doesn't conform to the rules either. At CL 3rd x Spell Level 2 x 2000 gp x 2 it should have a price of 24,000 gp, not 20,000 gp.

A91: Since neither Damage Reduction nor Regeneration says so, it seems to be "no".

Zherog
2013-03-13, 04:35 PM
A 90 additional

Your forgetting about this part of the rules:

Not all items adhere to these formulas. First and foremost, these few formulas aren't enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point. The pricing of scrolls assumes that, whenever possible, a wizard or cleric created it. Potions and wands follow the formulas exactly. Staves follow the formulas closely, and other items require at least some judgment calls.

(emphasis mine)

CockroachTeaParty
2013-03-13, 04:43 PM
Q 92

Does an Oracle using the Words of Power variant learn every Cure/Inflict spell per spell level like a regular Oracle?

Keneth
2013-03-13, 07:14 PM
Q93a I am looking at Diabolist and its Imp Companion and as far as I can tell, the imp seems to be treated as an Animal in some aspects rather than an Outsider (medium BAB progression instead of fast, 3 skill points instead of 7). Is this correct? I feel somewhat uncomfortable with changing fundamental monster rules, even if it does make sense from a balance standpoint.

Q93b Does the aforementioned imp gain other benefits (and flaws) of its type and subtypes? Namely does it have fire and poison immunity, as well as elemental resistances from being a devil? Is it proficient with simple and martial weapons since it's an Outsider? Does it need to eat, drink, or sleep? I can't find any wording that implies its type (or subtype) changes, so while it loses some of its inherent creature abilities (like fast healing and DR), it should keep the ones granted by its type except where explicitly stated, right? :smallconfused:

I really like this class, but the companion part seems to be poorly written...

Rhuarc
2013-03-14, 02:29 AM
Q 94 Can a NG cleric with a NG god prepare and cast spells with both the Lawful and the Chaotic Descriptor?

Q 95 If a cleric casts Eagle's Splendor on himself in the middle of the day will he get 2 more uses of channel energy from the increase in charisma?

Yora
2013-03-14, 06:04 AM
A95: I would assume no, based on the following line:

Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics related to that ability. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed.
It does not explicitly mention channeling charges, but I would assume them to be among those "other bonuses".

Zherog
2013-03-14, 08:54 AM
A 94

Yes.

Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells: A cleric can't cast spells of an alignment opposed to her own or her deity's (if she has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaotic, evil, good, and lawful descriptors in their spell descriptions.

Neutral is not opposed to Law or Chaos, so the cleric in your example is fine.

JoeYounger
2013-03-14, 10:26 AM
Q96

Can I have an aklys made out of adamantium?

Zherog
2013-03-14, 10:42 AM
A 96

Unclear.

Aklys: The aklys is a hooked throwing club with a 20-foot cord; you can retrieve the aklys after throwing it as a move action. The hook allows you to make trip attacks at range. Some aklyses have holes drilled through them and whistle when flung.

Adamantine: Mined from rocks that fell from the heavens, this ultrahard metal adds to the quality of a weapon or suit of armor. Weapons fashioned from adamantine have a natural ability to bypass hardness when sundering weapons or attacking objects, ignoring hardness less than 20 (see Additional Rules). Armor made from adamantine grants its wearer damage reduction of 1/— if it's light armor, 2/— if it's medium armor, and 3/— if it's heavy armor. Adamantine is so costly that weapons and armor made from it are always of masterwork quality; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below. Thus, adamantine weapons and ammunition have a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls, and the armor check penalty of adamantine armor is lessened by 1 compared to ordinary armor of its type. Items without metal parts cannot be made from adamantine. An arrow could be made of adamantine, but a quarterstaff could not.

Weapons and armor normally made of steel that are made of adamantine have one-third more hit points than normal. Adamantine has 40 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 20.

(emphasis mine, and also note the actual spelling of the substance in question.)

So the question comes down to, "What material is an aklys made from." The description of the item in the PFSRD doesn't provide an answer, other than to say it's a club. To me, a club is made from wood - that's why it has no cost, it's just a big stick somebody picks up off the ground. But to the best of my knowledge, nothing in the rules actually says a club is a wooden object.

With the lack of information, the decision is going to come down to your GM making a call one way or the other. My personal ruling would be that an aklys is wooden and so can't be made from adamantine. But there's certainly plenty of room to allow a ruling to go the opposite direction, too.

Cieyrin
2013-03-14, 06:02 PM
A 89 No.
A 92 While it doesn't come out and say it, it's reasonable for Oracles to get their choice of either Healing or Wounding Words as they become available.

Keneth
2013-03-14, 10:02 PM
Q97 The universal monster rules for Change Shape state the following:

This ability functions as a polymorph spell, the type of which is listed in the creature’s description, but the creature does not adjust its ability scores (although it gains any other abilities of the creature it mimics).

My question is, does the above exception also apply to special ability adjustments as defined on this table (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#Table-Ability-Adjustments-from-Size-Changes) or just to the ones defined in the spell?

gr8artist
2013-03-16, 05:11 AM
Q 98
What ways can a player increase a poison's save DC?

Answers I already have:
Alchemist dip for discoveries like Concentrate Poison.
Hit the victim with additional doses before they clear the initial dose (for increased duration and DC)
Find stronger variants of creatures that have naturally occurring poison (since most creature poisons are con based, finding similar creatures with higher con scores would yield stronger poisons)

Are there any more? And is there any way to get Alchemist Discoveries without a 2+ dip in Alchemist?

Keneth
2013-03-16, 09:45 AM
A98 A Daggermark Poisoner can also make Tailored Toxins which increase the DC by 2 against specific creature types.

Theoretically you can also synthesize custom alchemical poisons where you could set the DC as high as you can afford, but at the moment RAW provides no rules as to the pricing of such poisons.

Edit: There's also the rogue advanced talent Deadly Cocktail. I forgot you can apply two doses of the same poison to increase the DC by 2. Of course this isn't really a viable option unless you're already a rogue or ninja.

Aotrs Commander
2013-03-17, 08:14 AM
Q 99

My brain has the dumbs, this morning. Do you get skill points from enhancement bonuses to intelligence when you level up?

By extension, if you clap a +4 Headband of Intellect or something on, do you immediately get extra skill points?

(I can't even remember whether you do or not in normal D&D; I know you don't in the latter case.)

Forgive me if this is spelled out in PF somewhere (other than in the skills section in the PFSRD, which I obviously checked first! A link to the apprporiate section would do!); I basically cribbed the PF skill system for my set of houserules, rather than using PF in entirity, and this is the only niche case I've encountered. It while I was making a Int-caster bad guy the question came up for the first time (none of the PCs I've thus far used the system with have Int-bonus items yet or have them but haven't levelled up).

Cieyrin
2013-03-17, 08:37 AM
A 99 Temporary Intelligence bonuses (that is, those that last less than 24 hours) don't grant additional skill points. Headbands of Intellect specify what skills they provide ranks in when they're made, so if you take them off or put them back on, there isn't the ability to reinvest skill points into new skills.

Keneth
2013-03-17, 11:13 AM
A99+ That said, inherent bonuses (such as from tomes or wish spells), as well as untyped bonuses that you get every 4 hit dice, do give you extra skill points retroactively (whereas they did not in 3.5).

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-17, 04:09 PM
Q100 (woo, triple digits!)

Do I need to make a Use Magic Device check to activate a scroll of a spell on my class's spell list of a level I can't cast yet? (For example, a 1st-level Wizard trying to use a scroll of Disintegrate).

Keneth
2013-03-17, 04:42 PM
A100 No, as per scroll activation rules, if you meet all other prerequisites—the scroll is arcane, it's on your spell list, and your spellcasting ability score is high enough—you can activate the scroll by making a successful caster level check against a DC = the scroll's caster level + 1. You still need to decipher the scroll first, though.

gr8artist
2013-03-18, 06:39 PM
Q 101
Mystic Theurge + another spellcasting prestige class... If I have a second prestige class that I begin after taking a level in MT, and if that second PrC gives spells/day, can I select MT as the spellcasting class to get extra spells with?
Say... Wizard 3, Cleric 3, MT 2, Bloodmage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/bloatmage)4, in that order
When I gain a level in MT, I gain spells per day and spells known in both Wizard and Cleric. When I gain a level in BM, I gain spells per day and spells known in my MT class, which in turn lets me get spells/day and spells known for Wiz and Cleric.

Please tell me I'm wrong, or my group's next boss just got a lot harder. :smallbiggrin:

Douglas
2013-03-18, 07:04 PM
A101

That does not work because Mystic Theurge is not, in fact, a spellcasting class in its own right. It advances the spellcasting of other classes, but it does not grant any spellcasting of its own and therefore does not qualify for advancement by other classes.

Man on Fire
2013-03-19, 06:35 AM
Q 102
Does Bard's Inspire Competence work on Concentration Checks?

Keneth
2013-03-19, 07:05 AM
A102 No, Concentration is no longer a skill in Pathfinder. It's not an ability check either, so any effects that grant bonuses to skill checks or ability checks do not affect Concentration checks.

Yora
2013-03-19, 07:42 AM
Q103: In what situations is a 20 always a success and a 1 always a failure?

Keneth
2013-03-19, 08:50 AM
A103 To my knowledge, natural 1 and 20 only mean absolute failure or success in case of attacks (including combat maneuvers) and saving throws.

Yora
2013-03-19, 09:24 AM
Q103a: Which means the note that you can't escape from bindings with a DC greater than 20 + your Escape Artist modifier can't be escaped even when rolling a 20 is completely pointless?

Keneth
2013-03-19, 09:42 AM
A103a It simply reiterates the obvious. Repeating rules, as long as they're consistent, is rarely pointless.

Q104 Does a Robe of Arcane Heritage grant bonus feats and spells known? It seems like a clear "no", but looking at Dragon Disciple's Blood of Dragons ability (which also advances "powers"), it seems to go out of its way to say that it does not grant spells unless the character can cast them. Probably just odd wording, but I figure it's worth making sure.

Hendel
2013-03-19, 10:32 PM
Q 90
Am I missing something, or is a wondrous items for a permanent enlarge/reduce person ridiculously cheap?
Estimating GP values for magic items (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#Table-Estimating-Magic-Item-Gold-Piece-Values)
Enlarge person spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/enlarge-person)
Formula for a continuous effect measured in minutes is: Spell level x Caster level x 2000 x 2
By my math it comes out to (1)*(1)*(2000)*(2) = 4000 gold.

Like a ring of invisibility, the item can be activated or deactivated as a standard action. Alternatively, you could have it be a permanent effect while wearing the item, but then they'd just slip the ring off and on as a move action.

Q90 Follow-Up

Wouldn't an Enlarge Person item with a Caster Level of 1 only have a duration of 1 minute? So once I used a standard action to activate it, I would have ten rounds until the effect wore off and then I could use another standard action to activate it again?

"Caster Level (CL): The next item in a notational entry gives the caster level of the item, indicating its relative power. The caster level determines the item's saving throw bonus, as well as range or other level-dependent aspects of the powers of the item (if variable)."

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems.html

Yora
2013-03-20, 05:01 AM
@90: No, because the price is either for a use-activated item (for which the constant re-activation would be neccessary) or for a continous item. A continous item would be active all the time ignoring the normal duration of the spell.

Hendel
2013-03-20, 08:13 AM
@90: No, because the price is either for a use-activated item (for which the constant re-activation would be neccessary) or for a continous item. A continous item would be active all the time ignoring the normal duration of the spell.
I thought that to be the case, I have just heard different interpretations on what is meant by "use-activated or continuous" in the magic item creation table. It would have been nice if the WotC for 3E and Paizo for PF would have split the two, EVEN if the calculation is the same. Maybe it doesn't need that but I noticed the more conjunctions that are used in rules, the more the interpretations seem to vary. Thanks!

Man on Fire
2013-03-20, 10:29 AM
Q 105

Do spell-like abilities require concentration checks? if so, which class at which spells is posisble to take look on when calculating DC?

Example: Oni Ogre Mage is using spell-like ability Charm Monster in combat and attempts to cast defensively. Spell is granted to bards and Summoners at level 3 and to sorcerers, wizards and witches at level 4. It's DC is therefore 21 (15+6) or 23 (15+8)?

Zherog
2013-03-20, 10:49 AM
A 105

Yes, you can use concentration when making use of spell-like abilities.

For your specific example, you can always find the level used by reverse-engineering the saving throw DC. The Oni has a +3 Cha mod, so we can tell by the listed DC (17) that it's being treated as a 4th level spell.

More generically, however, if an SLA is a spell on the sorcerer/wizard list, it uses that as it's level regardless of what other lists the spell appears on. If the spell is not a wizard spell, I believe it uses the lowest-level spell level of the lists it appears on (see below). Give me a moment or two and I'll see if I can dig up a quote for you.

edit: Here's everything you need. Emphasis mine.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells and so have no verbal, somatic, focus, or material components). They go away in an antimagic field and are subject to spell resistance if the spell the ability is based on would be subject to spell resistance.

A spell-like ability usually has a limit on how often it can be used. A constant spell-like ability or one that can be used at will has no use limit; unless otherwise stated, a creature can only use a constant spell-like ability on itself. Reactivating a constant spell-like ability is a swift action. Using all other spell-like abilities is a standard action unless noted otherwise, and doing so provokes attacks of opportunity. It is possible to make a concentration check to use a spell-like ability defensively and avoid provoking an attack of opportunity, just as when casting a spell. A spell-like ability can be disrupted just as a spell can be. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled.

For creatures with spell-like abilities, a designated caster level defines how difficult it is to dispel their spell-like effects and to define any level-dependent variables (such as range and duration) the abilities might have. The creature's caster level never affects which spell-like abilities the creature has; sometimes the given caster level is lower than the level a spellcasting character would need to cast the spell of the same name. If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature's Hit Dice. The saving throw (if any) against a spell-like ability is 10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature's Charisma modifier.

Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. A monster's spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order.

Keneth
2013-03-20, 11:11 AM
A90+ The distinction between a use activated and continuous magic item is negligible (they function in the same manner), which is why they're listed as equivalent. Use activated items are not your normal standard action activated magic items which produce effects with a set duration—that's command word activated items and they're priced differently. Use activated items are generally activated as part of the items' normal use (which may or may not be a standard action). For example if a pair of glasses has a use activated read magic effect, it starts to function as soon as someone puts the glasses on and looks through them and doesn't stop functioning until they're unequipped. Both use activated effects (that are not instantaneous) and continuous effects ignore the duration listed in the spell description (although the pricing differs according to that duration).

Cieyrin
2013-03-20, 09:45 PM
Q106 If a Cleric or Druid spontaneously converts a spell slot to a the appropriate spell, as per their feature, and then uses a Pearl of Power, does the original spell return or do I get the spell I converted that slot to?

Keneth
2013-03-20, 10:24 PM
A106 You didn't actually convert the spell to anything, you just burned the spell slot (or energy if you will) to fuel your spontaneous casting ability. A pearl of power will restore that spell slot with whatever spell you memorized in it.

Keneth
2013-03-21, 12:52 PM
@whomever was asking about Whirlwind (Yora?), since I've already typed out the post.

A107a Standard action to activate.
A107b Usable at will (wild-shaped druid as well).
A107c Variable height in 5 ft. increments. You can decide on the height when you use the ability and presumably change it with a standard action if need be.
A107d Most likely the same size as the elemental. Explaining and defining the size would take some effort, although you could house rule it so that the size of the whirlwind is equivalent to the size of the largest creature it can lift up.
A107e The rules don't specify where inside the whirlwind the creatures are located so presumably you have no control over it, nor do they state where or how the creatures inside are deposited at the end of the effect. You can always fly up and expel them from there however. Which hurts. A lot.
A107f Larger creatures are affected normally and can be lifted if the whirlwind is large enough.

A107g There's no better-written rules for it, but may I direct you towards this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274411) I made a little while ago. Feel free to revive it and propose any other problems (as well as possible solutions).

Yora
2013-03-21, 02:43 PM
Yeah, it was me. I decided to just give up on both Whirlwind and Vortex.
But a fire elemantals burn ability might be worth keeping:

Q108: In the description of the burn ability it says "Creatures that hit a burning creature with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the burning creature and must make a Reflex save to avoid catching on fire."
Does "burning creature" refer to the creature that has the burn ability, or to any creature currently set on fire by another creatures burn ability?

The later makes more sense, but the elemental special abilities are all written very confusingly.

Keneth
2013-03-21, 04:23 PM
Oh, I've just noticed this little gem in the latest errata.

Creatures one or more size categories smaller than the whirlwind might take damage when caught in the whirlwind (generally damage equal to the monster’s slam attack for a creature of its size) and may be lifted into the air.

No wonder it's even more confusing now. I'll just choose to ignore this loaded bit in my games since it makes no bloody sense anyway. It would do a lot for balance but applying arbitrary limitations to a form with no defined statistics is just plain retarded. :smallannoyed:

That changes answers 107d and 107f though. As far as RAW is concerned only creatures smaller than the elemental take damage and can be lifted up.

A108 I don't know what the hell is up with that wording, it should be "Creatures that hit the monster with the burn special ability...". Being on fire does not cause other creatures harm, not even if they grapple you. The wording on d20pfsrd.com (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Burn-Ex-) is clearer, but not official unless there was some unofficial errata on the forums.

Karse
2013-03-21, 11:47 PM
Q109: I was always wondering if Clerics and Paladins can cast spells while using Sword and Shield. I mean I had read spellcasters like Wizards need a hand free to cast somatic spells which makes sense. but are divine spellcasters any different? In most cases those two classes use Heavy Armors and Heavy Shields with one hand weapons. So do I need to drop my weapon or shield top cast a spell?

Yora
2013-03-22, 07:13 AM
A109: To cast a spell with a somatic component, you need to have at least one free hand. That applies regardless of what spellcasting class you have.
Simply holding the weapon with the hand of your shield arm as a free action should probably be enough, but that would mean that you don't get your shield bonus to any attacks of opportunity you provoke by casting the spell. Otherwise you would have to first take a move action to sheath your weapon before taking the standard action to cast the spell, or to drop it as a free action and pick it up again as a move action.

Keneth
2013-03-22, 09:03 AM
A109+ What Yora said is only partially true.

To elaborate on the matter further — If you're using a buckler, you can cast the spell with your buckler hand by forfeiting it's shield bonus or moving your weapon into that hand and then back again, which allows you to either benefit from the shield bonus or the weapon while you're casting the spell.

If you're using light shield, you can move the weapon to your shield hand as a free action and cast the spell with the other hand. This does not forfeit your shield bonus as the hand is specifically stated of being able to hold items, although you can not wield a weapon in the same hand as a light shield (unlike with a buckler). Unfortunately, that hand is most often occupied by your holy symbol, since most divine spells require a divine focus, and therefore cannot hold the weapon as well. That's assuming a focus cannot be held in the spellcasting hand (the rules are vague on that point). Having a reliquary light shield, or a reliquary weapon + light shield, solves that problem by removing the need for a separate divine focus.

If you're using a heavy shield (or tower shield) and a weapon, there's no way for you to cast the spell without putting your weapon away first (and possibly using a reliquary shield) since the shield hand cannot carry anything (including a divine focus). This eats up your move action.

Drackstin
2013-03-22, 11:09 AM
Q110

is a target of the spell infernal healing (if casted on enemies) capable of being effected by the smite evil skill from a paladin?

Hendel
2013-03-22, 11:11 AM
A103 To my knowledge, natural 1 and 20 only mean absolute failure or success in case of attacks (including combat maneuvers) and saving throws.
A natural 1 also means an automatic failure for a Use Magic Device skill check. So that breaks the norm on skill checks.

Keneth
2013-03-22, 11:23 AM
A103+ There are, of course, most likely specific exceptions, but they are always called out in the relevant sections of the rules, so I didn't feel they required a special mention (or the time required to scour of the entirety of the rules looking for them). Moreover, a natural 1 on a Use Magic Device is not an automatic failure, it merely prevents you from making a UMD check for that particular item for 24 hours if and only if the result of the check is actually a failure.

A110 No, the spell will fool a paladin's detect evil ability, but it does not actually change the creature's alignment, nor does it give them the (evil) subtype. Ergo, smite evil has no effect unless the creature is, in fact, evil.

Douglas
2013-03-22, 12:03 PM
A natural 1 also means an automatic failure for a Use Magic Device skill check. So that breaks the norm on skill checks.
This is not correct. UMD has a special consequence for a natural 1 that is also a failure. If your bonus is high enough to succeed anyway, then you still succeed. UMD's special rule only kicks in if you roll a 1 and your bonus is insufficient.

Karse
2013-03-22, 01:11 PM
A109: To cast a spell with a somatic component, you need to have at least one free hand. That applies regardless of what spellcasting class you have.
Simply holding the weapon with the hand of your shield arm as a free action should probably be enough, but that would mean that you don't get your shield bonus to any attacks of opportunity you provoke by casting the spell. Otherwise you would have to first take a move action to sheath your weapon before taking the standard action to cast the spell, or to drop it as a free action and pick it up again as a move action.

With that being said:

Q109b: Can you hold with one hand a Two handed weapon to be able to cast a spell? In a wizard case most likely a quarterstaff and on a Paladins case most likely a Greatsword.

Two weapon fighting would be totally impossible because you have both hands busy.

Keneth
2013-03-22, 01:33 PM
A109b Yes, you can let go of a two-handed weapon to cast a spell. If you're two-weapon fighting, you have to sheathe one of the weapons. Unless you're two-weapon fighting with a weapon and shield, in which case see my previous answer.

Cieyrin
2013-03-23, 10:20 AM
A109b Yes, you can let go of a two-handed weapon to cast a spell. If you're two-weapon fighting, you have to sheathe one of the weapons. Unless you're two-weapon fighting with a weapon and shield, in which case see my previous answer.

A109 Aside Two Words: Weapon. Cords. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-and-armor-accessories#TOC-Weapon-Cord) :smallbiggrin:

MrLemon
2013-03-23, 12:32 PM
A109 concerning TWF
AFAIK There's nothing preventing you from holding two weapons in one hand while casting a spell, so the same thing as for Sword&Board applies.

Felandria
2013-03-23, 01:40 PM
Q111

Are magic items held to the same standard as regular items in terms of creature size, as in, do they cost a lot more for Large or larger creatures?

Q112

If one had the gold to spend, could they read more than one Tome of Leadership and Influence, or any of the other manuals or tomes?

Yora
2013-03-23, 03:08 PM
A111: The weapon or armor to be enchanted would be more expensive, but the enchantment on it would cost the same.

JackRose
2013-03-23, 03:17 PM
Q112

If one had the gold to spend, could they read more than one Tome of Leadership and Influence, or any of the other manuals or tomes?

A112

Of course! However, it wouldn't do you much good because the bonuses wouldn't stack. Bonuses of the same type rarely do, and the wording of the Wish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wish) spell specifically notes that inherent bonuses do not.

Felandria
2013-03-23, 03:38 PM
A112

Of course! However, it wouldn't do you much good because the bonuses wouldn't stack. Bonuses of the same type rarely do, and the wording of the Wish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wish) spell specifically notes that inherent bonuses do not.

Good to know.

I'm making an epic level character (25th) and I've fully equipped with magic items in every slot and I bought all six books at +5 and I've still got half the wealth left.

Keneth
2013-03-23, 04:50 PM
A109 concerning TWF
AFAIK There's nothing preventing you from holding two weapons in one hand while casting a spell, so the same thing as for Sword&Board applies.

While there's nothing in the rules that explicitly forbids this kind of action, the term "free hand" is reasonably well defined by the rules. As soon as you are holding anything in your hand, that hand is no longer a free hand, and does not allow you to hold anything else. If that wasn't true, you could potentially hold all your wands and other command-activated trinkets in one hand since nothing explicitly says you can't. You can apply some RACSD here, but as far as I'm concerned, that action is illegal by RAW.

JackRose
2013-03-23, 04:52 PM
While there's nothing in the rules that explicitly forbids this kind of action, the term "free hand" is reasonably well defined by the rules. As soon as you are holding anything in your hand, that hand is no longer a free hand, and does not allow you to hold anything else. If that wasn't true, you could potentially hold all your wands and other command-activated trinkets in one hand since nothing explicitly says you can't. You can apply some RACSD here, but as far as I'm concerned, that action is illegal by RAW.

Unless I'm misinterpreting, the suggestion isn't that you can cast with a weapon in each hand, but that you can clutch both weapons in one hand, leaving the other free for casting.

Keneth
2013-03-23, 04:55 PM
Yes, and while the rules don't say you can't, holding an item in a hand that is already holding an item is unsupported by the rules at best.

Hendel
2013-03-24, 11:06 AM
Q111

Are magic items held to the same standard as regular items in terms of creature size, as in, do they cost a lot more for Large or larger creatures?

Q112

A111+
Just to be clear, it appears that armor and weapons have a set size and do not change and there is a cost associated with the size as is found under the Equipment section in the Core rules. Other magic items are assumed to "size" to the user. You could, however, read it so that armor and weapons could "size" as well.

PRD: "Size and Magic Items

When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn't be an issue. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer. Size should not keep characters of various kinds from using magic items.

There may be rare exceptions, especially with race-specific items.

Armor and Weapon Sizes: Armor and weapons that are found at random have a 30% chance of being Small (01–30), a 60% chance of being Medium (31–90), and a 10% chance of being any other size (91–100)."

A112+
JackRose answered this one, but to be clear as well, only the highest inherent bonus will apply. So if I read a +2 Tome and a +3 Tome, I would have a +3 inherent bonus to that particular ability score, not a +5.

You could, however, read six different tomes and manuals to have a +5 inherent bonus to each ability score if you had that much gold or you discovered them.

Cieyrin
2013-03-24, 01:59 PM
A 109 Dispute I looked around both the spell section's components, as well as Create Reliquary Arms and Armor and can't find anything that suggests that you have to actually hold your holy symbol to cast or channel energy. It just has to be in your possession to cast any spells with the Divine Focus component or to channel, so it could be around your neck or you can wield a reliquary weapon or armor, which makes it resistant to sundering, or even have the Birthmark trait, which makes it so you always have a holy symbol on you by virtue of it being on your skin. Other spellcasters don't require a second hand to manipulate material components or foci, so why should clerics, druids, paladins and rangers get screwed into forcing them to cast with both hands? They still need a free hand for somatic components, so a light shield or buckler may be required, but the holy symbol just has to be on their person.

Keneth
2013-03-24, 02:20 PM
There's no dispute here, I didn't argue towards that point, I merely accounted for both play styles. Like I said, the rules aren't clear on how the divine focus is supposed to be presented. In our group, all foci, divine or otherwise, have to be held while the free hand casts a spell, which makes reliquary weapons a pretty standard (if not obligatory) choice for both divine casters and arcane casters with the false focus feat. But I do agree that rules rules don't specifically state that, so if your DF is not in your other hand, one can simply ignore those parts of my post.

Truth be told, spellcasters don't need to be coddled. But then I also see people playing gestalt wizards with 40+ point buy, so to each their own.

Felandria
2013-03-24, 05:12 PM
A111+
Just to be clear, it appears that armor and weapons have a set size and do not change and there is a cost associated with the size as is found under the Equipment section in the Core rules. Other magic items are assumed to "size" to the user. You could, however, read it so that armor and weapons could "size" as well.

PRD: "Size and Magic Items

When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn't be an issue. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer. Size should not keep characters of various kinds from using magic items.

There may be rare exceptions, especially with race-specific items.

Armor and Weapon Sizes: Armor and weapons that are found at random have a 30% chance of being Small (01–30), a 60% chance of being Medium (31–90), and a 10% chance of being any other size (91–100)."

A112+
JackRose answered this one, but to be clear as well, only the highest inherent bonus will apply. So if I read a +2 Tome and a +3 Tome, I would have a +3 inherent bonus to that particular ability score, not a +5.

You could, however, read six different tomes and manuals to have a +5 inherent bonus to each ability score if you had that much gold or you discovered them.

Thanks.

And I have the gold.

Do you realize what the wealth by level of a 25th level character is?

Around 3 and a quarter million.

Man on Fire
2013-03-25, 03:41 PM
Q113

I know that in 3.5 there was a rule that when adding levels to monsters with higher CR you consider them to increase CR only by 1/2 per level until monster has levels equal to his base CR. Is that rule still in works in Pathfinder? if not, hwo does it work here?

Keneth
2013-03-25, 04:12 PM
A113 See section Adding Class Levels under Monster Advancement (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-advancement). There's no point in copying all of that here.

Certified
2013-03-25, 10:43 PM
Q114: When engaging in a Grapple can the Grappler move the target that is grappled, or take a move action?

For example, a Dragon grapples helpless villager X, then flies away to snack on them.

Hendel
2013-03-25, 11:02 PM
Q114: When engaging in a Grapple can the Grappler move the target that is grappled, or take a move action?

For example, a Dragon grapples helpless villager X, then flies away to snack on them.
A114: You may move the target who you are grappling with another successful grapple check (CMB vs CMD).

PRD
"Move: You can move both yourself and your target up to half your speed. At the end of your movement, you can place your target in any square adjacent to you. If you attempt to place your foe in a hazardous location, such as in a wall of fire or over a pit, the target receives a free attempt to break your grapple with a +4 bonus."

Keneth
2013-03-26, 03:57 AM
A114+ Flying grapples are every GM's nightmare. Don't forget that if you're gonna carry the creature, it contributes against carrying capacity, which can affect your ability to fly.

Yora
2013-03-26, 07:08 AM
Q115: Are there guidelines to what a good CR for homebrew creature would be, bases on attack bonus, damage, AC, and the like?

Zherog
2013-03-26, 08:50 AM
A 115

As a matter of fact, yes. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monsterCreation.html)

Addi
2013-03-26, 10:17 AM
Q 116:
The SRD-Entry for Magic Weapons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons) states:
"A weapon with a special ability must also have at least a +1 enhancement bonus."

The description of Masterwork Weapons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons#TOC-Masterwork-Weapons) shows this part:
"Wielding it provides a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls."

After seeing this - do you think it's necessary to enchant a weapon before adding the "Flaming Burst" special ability.

Zherog
2013-03-26, 10:19 AM
A 116

Yes, the weapon must have a full +1 enhancement bonus. Masterwork quality only grants a partial enhancement bonus.

Keneth
2013-03-26, 10:23 AM
A116+ Or in other words, masterwork weapons don't have a +1 enhancement bonus, they simply provide the wielder with a +1 enhancement bonus to attack. These are two different things, even though they share a similar terminology.

Felandria
2013-03-26, 04:40 PM
Q117

Regarding Q115, is there a way to reverse that, say you want to use a character from another campaign as a villain in the current one, is there a way to determine a CR for that character?

Zherog
2013-03-26, 04:54 PM
A 117

Yes.

If the character has no racial Hit Dice:

In addition, if the character has more gear than normal for an NPC of that level (NPCs get significantly less gear than PCs), you need to adjust:

If the character has racial Hit Dice, it gets a bit more complicated. Rather than copy/pasting that whole section in, I'll point you to the Monster Advancement chapter (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monsterAdvancement.html) of the PF SRD. Scroll all the way down to the section labelled, "Step 3: Determine CR."

Felandria
2013-03-26, 05:23 PM
A 117

Yes.

If the character has no racial Hit Dice:

In addition, if the character has more gear than normal for an NPC of that level (NPCs get significantly less gear than PCs), you need to adjust:

If the character has racial Hit Dice, it gets a bit more complicated. Rather than copy/pasting that whole section in, I'll point you to the Monster Advancement chapter (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monsterAdvancement.html) of the PF SRD. Scroll all the way down to the section labelled, "Step 3: Determine CR."

So basically just their level, then.

I find it surprising that being fully geared is such a tiny swing, at high enough levels a character can easily afford both items that combined end up adding +6 to all their stats.

Drackstin
2013-03-27, 03:15 PM
Q118

how does the favored class witch work for human, it says add a spell to your spell list that's 1 level lower then your highest spell level. and if your familiar dies, the new one get those SPELLS

but at level one you only have first level spells and know all level 0 spells. it also says at the end bonus spells, so do you get a extra spell per level of -1 spell level spell?

JackRose
2013-03-27, 03:21 PM
Q118

how does the favored class witch work for human, it says add a spell to your spell list that's 1 level lower then your highest spell level. and if your familiar dies, the new one get those SPELLS

but at level one you only have first level spells and know all level 0 spells. it also says at the end bonus spells, so do you get a extra spell per level of -1 spell level spell?

A118

As written, that favored class bonus would provide no benefit at levels one or two, since there are no valid extra spells it could provide you with. You would be well advised to take the extra skill or hit point until level three.

Edit:

A118 Corollary

Theoretically, if you multiclassed into Witch after ~three levels in say, Cleric, the highest level of spell you could cast would be 2, and you could add a first level witch spell to your familiar each time you took that favored class bonus.

Lolo
2013-03-27, 04:21 PM
Q119a: Can an alchemist apply poison to his bombs like any other weapon? Which types of poisons will work spread in this manner?
Q119b: Would poison strictly need to be applied on the same turn the bomb is mixed and thrown, or could it be applied to the container the bomb is mixed in beforehand?
Q119c: Would a combo of the alchemist discoveries "Immolation Bomb" and "Sticky Poison" attached to the bomb let the bomb deliver as many rounds of poison as my int modifier without additional attack rolls or expended bombs?

Cieyrin
2013-03-27, 06:32 PM
A119 Alchemist bombs are splash weapons, thus the attack is to get it into them, not pierce their armor, so it's not compatible with poisoning. Ninjas have a Poison Bomb trick that does what you're looking for, though I don't know of a method to give an Alchemist Ninja Tricks or freely allows Rogue Talents to pick up Ninja Trick and Ki Pool.

Keneth
2013-03-27, 07:54 PM
Theoretically, if you multiclassed into Witch after ~three levels in say, Cleric, the highest level of spell you could cast would be 2, and you could add a first level witch spell to your familiar each time you took that favored class bonus.

That's stretching the rules quite a bit. The context of the sentence here clearly implies that it refers to the highest spell level you can cast as a witch.

A119 While technically there's nothing stopping you from applying poison to a bomb (as far as I can tell), splash weapons won't be able to transfer the poison to anything since the container doesn't do any damage by itself and you can't mix it with the liquid. RAW doesn't cover this, but you might be able to make a case with the GM if you're using a contact poison (although I wouldn't allow it either). Plus, the fire would likely render most organic poisons useless in the first place, so setting your target on fire would just serve to cleanse the creature of any poison on their skin.

Keneth
2013-03-27, 09:49 PM
Q120 Can you apply sneak attack damage on a sunder attempt? Non-animated objects generally don't meet the conditions for a sneak attack, but sunder attacks are technically made against a creature wielding the item. So can you hit an item "just right"? :smallsmile:

Killer Angel
2013-03-28, 04:00 AM
Probably this one is easy, but...

Q 122
The extra damage dealt by a cavalier's attacks during a challenge, is multiplied by the charge?

Yora
2013-03-28, 04:43 AM
A120: You may be making the attack roll against a creature, but the damage clearly applies to an object and not a creature. So no.

A122: A charge does not multiply any damage.

In the case of making a mounted charge with a lance, it simply says "double damage", and since nothing in the cavalier class says otherwise, fixed numbers to damage always get multiplied, additional damage dice do not. So yes, it would be doubled.

Drackstin
2013-03-28, 06:45 AM
Q118 CONTINUED

Q118

i don't know if i have the right information up, so here it is, it looks like favored class bonus works every time you level in that class is this correct?

Favored Class Options

The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.

Witch Add one spell from the witch spell list to the witch's familiar. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level she can cast. If the witch ever replaces her familiar, the new familiar knows these bonus spells.

Karoht
2013-03-28, 10:33 AM
I make a point of looking the SRD up and down before I ask for something, so if someone replies back with an SRD quote that I have completely and utterly overlooked, I'm going to be very upset with myself for being a derp.

Q123: Intimidate, Fear, Etc
Okay, Intimidate. Straight up question.
Does immunity to fear mean immunity to demoralize?

Q123a:
Does immunity to mind altering effects mean immunity to demoralize?

JackRose
2013-03-28, 10:36 AM
Q118 CONTINUED

i don't know if i have the right information up, so here it is, it looks like favored class bonus works every time you level in that class is this correct?

Favored Class Options

The following favored class options are available to all characters of this race who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.

Witch Add one spell from the witch spell list to the witch's familiar. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level she can cast. If the witch ever replaces her familiar, the new familiar knows these bonus spells.

A118: Continued

Each time you level in a favored class, you select a favored class bonus, which can be either one hit point, one skill point, or whatever the race/class specific option is. You don't have to choose the same bonus each time.

Zherog
2013-03-28, 10:42 AM
Prepare for being upset...

A 123

Yes, demoralize is a fear effect. To get that rule, you have to piece together several rules.

Demoralize: You can use this skill to cause an opponent to become shaken for a number of rounds. The DC of this check is equal to 10 + the target's Hit Dice + the target's Wisdom modifier. If you are successful, the target is shaken for 1 round. This duration increases by 1 round for every 5 by which you beat the DC. You can only threaten an opponent in this way if they are within 30 feet and can clearly see and hear you. Using demoralize on the same creature only extends the duration; it does not create a stronger fear condition.

Fear
Spells, magic items, and certain monsters can affect characters with fear. In most cases, the character makes a Will saving throw to resist this effect, and a failed roll means that the character is shaken, frightened, or panicked.

Shaken: Characters who are shaken take a –2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Frightened: Characters who are frightened are shaken, and in addition they flee from the source of their fear as quickly as they can. They can choose the paths of their flight. Other than that stipulation, once they are out of sight (or hearing) of the source of their fear, they can act as they want. If the duration of their fear continues, however, characters can be forced to flee if the source of their fear presents itself again. Characters unable to flee can fight (though they are still shaken).

Panicked: Characters who are panicked are shaken, and they run away from the source of their fear as quickly as they can, dropping whatever they are holding. Other than running away from the source, their paths are random. They flee from all other dangers that confront them rather than facing those dangers. Once they are out of sight (or hearing) of any source of danger, they can act as they want. Panicked characters cower if they are prevented from fleeing.

Becoming Even More Fearful: Fear effects are cumulative. A shaken character who is made shaken again becomes frightened, and a shaken character who is made frightened becomes panicked instead. A frightened character who is made shaken or frightened becomes panicked instead.

So, a creature that is shaken is suffering from a fear effect; demoralize makes the target shaken. Therefore, demoralize inflicts a fear effect. Therefore therefore ( :smallwink: ), if you are immune to fear, you are immune to demoralize.

A 123a

"Mind-affecting" is a spell descriptor, and so only applies to spells that have that tag. Since Intimidate is not a spell, it's not covered by the rules for mind-affecting.

Drackstin
2013-03-28, 10:46 AM
Q124

using a human with a favored class and its skilled trait, can you get to a higher rank for a skill then you should be able to at that level.

ex. can you get 10 ranks in heal using these means by level 5 (instead of 7) so you qualifie for feats that would need 10 ranks in heal

Douglas
2013-03-28, 10:56 AM
I make a point of looking the SRD up and down before I ask for something, so if someone replies back with an SRD quote that I have completely and utterly overlooked, I'm going to be very upset with myself for being a derp.

Q123: Intimidate, Fear, Etc
Okay, Intimidate. Straight up question.
Does immunity to fear mean immunity to demoralize?
Be prepared to be upset with yourself, then.

You can use this skill to cause an opponent to become shaken for a number of rounds. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/intimidate)
Shaken is a less severe state of fear... (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Shaken)

Q123a:
Does immunity to mind altering effects mean immunity to demoralize?
This one, however, is a bit strange. In 3.5, the general description of fear effects specifies that All fear attacks are mind-affecting fear effects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fear). The corresponding section (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Fear-Su-or-Sp-) of the Pathfinder rules (complete with entries about fear auras, cones, and rays) removed that line. Because of that removal, it appears that fear effects in Pathfinder are not, in fact, mind-affecting as a general rule. Most of them, particularly the spells, individually stipulate that they are mind-affecting, but intimidate does not. Therefore, immunity to mind-affecting does not grant immunity to intimidate's demoralize use.

I suspect the Pathfinder writers didn't realize the significance of removing that line, but that's a matter of RAI rather than RAW.

Zherog
2013-03-28, 10:56 AM
A 124

Under normal circumstances in Pathfinder, you can't get 10 ranks until level 10.

That said, neither the human bonus skill nor the "skilled" racial trait (at least, the one I could find - which was actually a half-orc trait) changes the rules for max ranks. It just gives you more points to spend. For example, a fighter with a 10 Int gets 2 ranks. A human fighter with a 10 Int gets 3 ranks; both are limited to their character level for maximum ranks in any particular skill.

Zherog
2013-03-28, 11:00 AM
123a additional

Actually, Douglas's post reminded me where to find the fear rule I was looking for. The text he references from 3.5 is still there, at least in the official PF SRD.

Fear (Su or Sp) Fear attacks can have various effects.

Fear Aura (Su) The use of this ability is a free action. The aura can freeze an opponent (as in the case of a mummy's despair) or function like the fear spell. Other effects are possible. A fear aura is an area effect. The descriptive text gives the size and kind of the area.

Fear Cone (Sp) and Ray (Su) These effects usually work like the fear spell.

If a fear effect allows a saving throw, it is a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 fearsome creature's racial HD + creature's Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature's descriptive text). All fear attacks are mind-affecting fear effects.

(emphasis mine)

So I'm revising my previous answer. Immunity to mind-affecting effects does grant immunity to fear.

Drackstin
2013-03-28, 11:10 AM
A 124

Under normal circumstances in Pathfinder, you can't get 10 ranks until level 10.

That said, neither the human bonus skill nor the "skilled" racial trait (at least, the one I could find - which was actually a half-orc trait) changes the rules for max ranks. It just gives you more points to spend. For example, a fighter with a 10 Int gets 2 ranks. A human fighter with a 10 Int gets 3 ranks; both are limited to their character level for maximum ranks in any particular skill.

Q124 continued

i saw in the skill section, you just get +3 bonus to any class skill you put ranks into, so your max is always your level? then how do these rules work then

Feat and Skill Racial Traits

Bonus Feat: Humans select one extra feat at 1st level.
Skills: Humans gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level.

Favored Class: Each character begins play with a single favored class of his choosing—typically, this is the same class as the one he chooses at 1st level. Whenever a character gains a level in his favored class, he receives either + 1 hit point or + 1 skill rank. The choice of favored class cannot be changed once the character is created, and the choice of gaining a hit point or a skill rank each time a character gains a level (including his first level) cannot be changed once made for a particular level. Prestige classes (see Prestige Classes) can never be a favored class.

Douglas
2013-03-28, 11:17 AM
123a additional

Actually, Douglas's post reminded me where to find the fear rule I was looking for. The text he references from 3.5 is still there, at least in the official PF SRD.

(emphasis mine)

So I'm revising my previous answer. Immunity to mind-affecting effects does grant immunity to fear.
On review, I note that the provision in question actually is in the section I linked, just very confusingly organized. There are two sentence that should be in a separate paragraph (and in the Bestiary, they are) and are about fear effects in general, but on d20pfsrd they are part of the cone and rays entry. If you look right at the end of the fear cone and ray section, "All fear attacks are mind-affecting fear effects" is in there.

So yes, immunity to mind-affecting does protect against intimidate.

Keneth
2013-03-28, 11:22 AM
A120: You may be making the attack roll against a creature, but the damage clearly applies to an object and not a creature. So no.

That's true, but objects are not inherently immune to precision damage. Since wielded/carried objects use the creature's defenses, wouldn't that trigger conditions for a sneak attack, much like if the object was animated?

A123a+ While [mind-affecting] is indeed a spell descriptor, that does not by extension mean that only spells and SLAs are considered mind-affecting effects. That's like saying only spells can be considered fire effects because [fire] is a spell descriptor. While RAW doesn't explicitly say so, fear should probably be considered a morale effect, and thus a mind-affecting effect. Why do you think it's called "demoralize"? Because it affects your morals? No, because it affects your morale. I was actually looking for that line Zherog and douglas posted in CRB and couldn't find it. I didn't think to look for it in the MM Bestiary. Good find. :smallsmile:

Zherog
2013-03-28, 11:30 AM
A 124 additional

Your max ranks is equal to your character level. If you have at least one rank in a skill and that skill is a class skill for any of your classes, you also get a +3 untyped bonus to that skill.

The bonus skill point for being human gives you one more point to spend, as does the bonus from favored class (if that's the bonus you choose to select).

For example:

A fighter with a 10 Int gets 2 skill points at each level. He also decides to take his favored class bonus as a skill point, giving him 3 points total. He puts one point into each of Climb, Intimidate, and Spellcraft. Climb and Intimidate are class skills, so he also adds an additional +3 to the total; his total in those skills will be +4 (1 rank, +3 class skill bonus) plus the appropriate ability modifier (Str and Cha, respectively). Spellcraft is not a class skill, so his total in that skill is going to be +1 (1 rank, +0 Int mod).

Fenryr
2013-03-28, 01:23 PM
Q 125.

Renewed Vitality (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/renewed-vitality-ex) is a Rage Power. The question is, you ignore a flat amount or you get a "Damage Reduction" that applies to damage ability?

Example: Is it a) or b)?

a) The Barbarian has 16 Dex. Suddenly he is hit and loses 3 Dex, so he has 13 now. He uses the rage power and as 16 Dex again.

b) The Barbarian is fighting an enemy who imposes ability damage with a d6. The Barbarian uses the power and can now ignore X (based on Barbarian level) from the d6.