New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What new words have you learned recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I've seen what you did do football. I don't think I would enjoy watching it.
    Their football? That's quite good.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheesePirate View Post
    That's not bad. You should come over and watch some football.
    We should do that sometime.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-12-31 at 12:28 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

2. - Top - End - #332
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I've seen what you did do football. I don't think I would enjoy watching it.
    What have I done to football?

I don't remember inviting you, but you should come over.
    Last edited by CheesePirate; 2020-12-31 at 01:43 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

schwa: the "uh" sound that many unstressed vowels make. For example, the i in pencil or the e in taken. Written ə when writing out a word phonetically (\pen-səl\).

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Okay, you English-speakers have got to be doing this on purpose at this point.
    A more worryingly plausible explanation is that they in fact aren't and that's just how muddled they are.

Consider.

Football, a game widely considered in it's modern form to be "invented" by the British
    British American
    A game using a round spherical object called a ball. I'm not even sure what that is. A dried and cured dinosaur egg?
    A game using primarily your feet and absolutely not your hands. 1 exception apply. A game using primarily your hands and absolutely not your feet. 2 exceptions applies.

At this point we should probably be glad icecream doesn't mean a very hot type of chili sause in one of those places.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I believe theyre both called football because you play with the ball while on foot, ie running. As opposed to, say, Polo.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I believe theyre both called football because you play with the ball while on foot, ie running. As opposed to, say, Polo.
    Yes. Also they both evolved from the same group of informalized medieval football games, which then got codified, focusing on different aspects, largely so different schools could play against each other with the same rules. In the British public school system we got Rugby and association football, whereas gridiron football came out of New England colleges.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ajustusdaniel View Post
    Yes... In the British public school system we got Rugby and association football, whereas gridiron football came out of New England colleges.
    I protest, good sir! The first college football game was the Rutgers Scarlet Knights vs the Princeton "If I can't win, I'm going Homes" in 1869...which was also the last time we were national champions.

Not a new word, but a clearing up of some confusion- Moot apparently has two different meaning depending on whether it's being used in British or American English, though in both cases it refers to an unsettled point (initially of law).

In American English, moot point is one that hasn't necessarily been settled, but where the circumstances have changed such that resolving it doesn't meaningfully affect whatever larger issue is under debate, so you might as well move on and stop arguing about it.

In British English, a moot point is one that's still up for debate.
    Well, now "Entmoot" makes more sense.

Colophon: a note describing the printing and typography of the book.

"Usually the colophon appears in the endpapers; sometimes you'll find them squeezed into the copyright page at the front. A basic colophon will identify the fonts used."
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2020-12-31 at 10:09 AM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

8. - Top - End - #338

Oh, that reminds me, I forgot one.

What the British say. What the Americans understand. What the British mean.
    A bit of a pickle. A small to medium problem for which a solution is needed. Please tell me spouse and child I love them, for I and everyone else in the immediate vicinity are absolutely going to die.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I protest, good sir! The first college football game was the Rutgers Scarlet Knights vs the Princeton "If I can't win, I'm going Homes" in 1869...which was also the last time we were national champions.
    Fine. New England and NewChannelIsland.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yea, but why is polo called polo?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #341

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Because of the shirts they wear while playing.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm told it originated as "Chovgan," in what's now Iran, and was popular enough (folks with the wealth and time to learn how to ride horses love showing off how well they can ride horses) that it spread across Asia. 'Polo," is from the Balti word for 'ball.' Balti is spoken in some parts of India, and it was in India that the British picked up polo.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Because the goal sort of resembles a polo mint.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground

On a related topic, soccer is apparently soccer from "Association Football," shortened to "Assoc," with the er added and the a dropped because that's just what the British did to words at the time, apparently.

15. - Top - End - #345

Zombie

"Soccer" is obviously a British word. No American would have abbreviated "association" as "socca" and then spelled it with an "-er".
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    "Soccer" is obviously a British word. No American would have abbreviated "association" as "socca" and then spelled it with an "-er".
    Almost False: Bostonians would have spelled it "-ar". Then again, going from "association" to "socca" is not an americanism. We would have called it "sosy".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

Technically true, but it's specifically the abbreviation public* schoolboys from wealthy families created (from "Association Football"; they tended to add a double consonant and an -er; e.g. rugger for rugby) to sound a bit posher. Not something your average British football fan would use non-mockingly.

*What a US English speaker would call private, just to confuse things
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2021-01-03 at 03:52 AM.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    A handy guide to the differences between British English and American English:

What the British say What the Americans understand What the British mean
    Flat. Apartment. Apartment.
    Lift. Elevator. Elevator.
    Lorry. Truck. Truck.
    Rubbish. Garbage. Manchester United.
    (also 'fanny', which seriously Brits ~90%+ of Americans do not realize that's what you think it means because for some reason this gets left out of the 'watch out for...' lists most of the time)
    There are some (like rubbish) where we Americans actually have the word, it is just not the most prevalent. Others (like flat), are a case of 'equally as good' words -- a single unit of multi-unit housing is most likely both single-level and apart from the rest of the building, so either flat or apartment makes sense (another favorite is the boot/trunk of a car -- it's both the thing at the end and a storage compartment). Others where you need specific context, especially if it is place or brand based (mackintoshes, wellies, hoovering). Did the British call rain gear boots galoshes before Arthur Wellesley? Galoshes is such a weird word for Americans to have landed on, that I suspect it's a case of 'we're using the original British term, you just changed how you did things after we splintered away' situation.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    [I] Did the British call rain gear boots galoshes before Arthur Wellesley? Galoshes is such a weird word for Americans to have landed on, that I suspect it's a case of 'we're using the original British term, you just changed how you did things after we splintered away' situation.
    Since galoche is French for a type of shoe, I suspect you are on to something here.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #350

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Since galoche is French for a type of shoe, I suspect you are on to something here.
    That or the word was introduced by French immigrants. Like how Americans have kindergartens instead of nurseries due to German influence.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Dwarf in the Playground

So long as we're doing it, Rugby is Rugby from Rugby School, which played football by a set of rules that evolved into modern Rugby. The notion that it was called this from it's traditionally being played in the carpeted front halls of wealthy aristocratic madmen is entirely fabulous, and just made up by me right now.

22. - Top - End - #352

I'm told it originated as "Chovgan," in what's now Iran, and was popular enough (folks with the wealth and time to learn how to ride horses love showing off how well they can ride horses) that it spread across Asia. 'Polo," is from the Balti word for 'ball.' Balti is spoken in some parts of India, and it was in India that the British picked up polo.
    Thanks, that's a much more interesting explanation than the one I had made up for myself (from "pole on a horse", like how "golf" was originally the name of the stick).
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks, that's a much more interesting explanation than the one I had made up for myself (from "pole on a horse", like how "golf" was originally the name of the stick).
    Keep in mind, this is fairly surface level research, Wiktionary and Wikipedia- I wouldn't pin anything important on it being accurate without some further fact-checking.

24. - Top - End - #354

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    That or the word was introduced by French immigrants. Like how Americans have kindergartens instead of nurseries due to German influence.
    We have nurseries. It's just that our nurseries are the bedrooms/playroom for babies.

And also buildings for growing saplings or selling plants.

25. - Top - End - #355

Galoshes is such a weird word for Americans to have landed on, that I suspect it's a case of 'we're using the original British term, you just changed how you did things after we splintered away' situation.
    If that's the case, it could be an example of the wave model; fundamentally, the idea is that the place with most influence generates new words, which then expand like circular waves to the more peripheral areas. So the more peripheral areas end up using older words, while the more influential one uses and propagates new ones. The process can break down once the influential area loses its influence, and sometimes you can see the now immobile circular waves around a certain area.

The typical examples are with Latin, with central areas like Italian and French using words derived from more recent inventions in Latin, e.g. derivatives of "plus", which means, well, plus, while Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian say plus using words coming from the older "magis". The switch from magis to plus happened in Rome; Italy and Gaul could be reached by the innovation in Roman speech, but it didn't have time to reach more peripheral areas on both sides of the Latin-speaking empire before Rome lost its influence.

Something similar happened with words meaning "cheese", where both Italian and French use words from the more recent "formaticum" while Spanish and Portuguese (and also English and German, although I'm not sure why) use words derived from the older word "caseus" (also meaning cheese).

I don't really know when UK English lost its charm over America, but Lovecraft wrote with a British spelling because it was still considered more prestigious (The Colour Out of Space). Maybe the British switched to the new word too late for the Americans to acquire it.
    We have nurseries. It's just that our nurseries are the bedrooms/playroom for babies.
    I think there's a Tolkien letter in which he says "we have no nursery" with this meaning. (letter 15).

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

If that's the case, it could be an example of the wave model; fundamentally, the idea is that the place with most influence generates new words, which then expand like circular waves to the more peripheral areas. So the more peripheral areas end up using older words, while the more influential one uses and propagates new ones. The process can break down once the influential area loses its influence, and sometimes you can see the now immobile circular waves around a certain area.

The typical examples are with Latin, with central areas like Italian and French using words derived from more recent inventions in Latin, e.g. derivatives of "plus", which means, well, plus, while Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian say plus using words coming from the older "magis". The switch from magis to plus happened in Rome; Italy and Gaul could be reached by the innovation in Roman speech, but it didn't have time to reach more peripheral areas on both sides of the Latin-speaking empire before Rome lost its influence.

Something similar happened with words meaning "cheese", where both Italian and French use words from the more recent "formaticum" while Spanish and Portuguese (and also English and German, although I'm not sure why) use words derived from the older word "caseus" (also meaning cheese).

I don't really know when UK English lost its charm over America, but Lovecraft wrote with a British spelling because it was still considered more prestigious (The Colour Out of Space). Maybe the British switched to the new word too late for the Americans to acquire it.
    The Revolution seems like a good time (with some exceptions for Anglophiles, which is how I would explain Lovecraft). This would make sense if Wellington Boots became a culturally distinct thing after Wellesley's Napoleonic War service. We have other examples (not limiting myself to words) -- Brits used to use a knife and fork in the manner than Americans do, and then changed habits after we had already left their sphere of influence (leading to almost as many pointless internet arguments as whether Association or Gridiron have a better claim to the name 'football' ).

And also buildings for growing saplings or selling plants.
    We also have 'nursery school's -- they are where you go when you are too young for kindergartens.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-01-05 at 12:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357

If I had to guess, galoshes is artificial rather than natural adaptation. Someone decided to use the French word in advertising them because of the mental connection between France and fashion.

28. - Top - End - #358

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    ... I suspect it's a case of 'we're using the original British term, you just changed how you did things after we splintered away' situation.
    When you compare words that differ between American and British English, the American word is almost always the original term and the British word is a newer slang term with fewer syllables.
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

When you compare words that differ between American and British English, the American word is almost always the original term and the British word is a newer slang term with fewer syllables.
    I would say often more than almost always, especially with things that mostly 'became a thing' after the split (see: trunk vs. boot of a car). With something like fashion, Rogar Demonblud's idea of galoshes being an advertising gimmick makes sense (I don't know it to be the case, but it is a plausible explanation). My gut still is that the Brits called... rain-shoes/boots (I can see why we came up with specific shorthand terms) galoshes until a specific famous person made a version of it famous and they became synonymous.

30. - Top - End - #360

Stour : dust
    Weans : children (I think)