New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Quick questions: javelins with dueling style and natural weapon proficiency

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    ThorOdinson, your Deles rice reading of the rules can be used to reach the conclusion that a short sword deals 1d6 damage, because it says it does, and if one ignores the rest of the rules for attacking, one need not roll to hit to deal -d6 damage with a short sword.

You are ignoring most of the rules for attacking and quoting a small portion of them as if the rest were not there. This is a house rule, because you are removing rules from the text to achieve your interpretation.
    I am not ignoring context and you still have to follow the surrounding rules. But the rule definitively associates the attack roll with the attack. And if I have a question as to when exactly what you are doing counts exactly as the attack well the rule tells me the attack roll. So per RAW an attack roll counts as an attack.

Interestingly, this works out exactly as you would expect.

Attacks are semantically speaking attempts at striking a target. An attack roll is exactly and precisely that attempt.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Quick questions: javelins with dueling style and natural weapon proficiency

Quote Originally Posted by ThorOdinson View Post
    I am not ignoring context and you still have to follow the surrounding rules. But the rule definitively associates the attack roll with the attack. And if I have a question as to when exactly what you are doing counts exactly as the attack well the rule tells me the attack roll. So per RAW an attack roll counts as an attack.

Interestingly, this works out exactly as you would expect.

Attacks are semantically speaking attempts at striking a target. An attack roll is exactly and precisely that attempt.
    But if you are attacking, you must follow the full procedure.

If you do not, you are not finishing the attack. Or you are house ruling parts of the attack not to be parts of the attack.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

But if you are attacking, you must follow the full procedure.

If you do not, you are not finishing the attack. Or you are house ruling parts of the attack not to be parts of the attack.
    Sure. As already stated I follow the procedure as applicable and everything runs as it normally would. Should I ever need to know the exact moment that counts as precisely the attack then I have a rule that provides the answer.

The attack roll counts as the attack.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

The attack roll represents the attack.
    Nope. The attack roll resolves the decision to attack, since the outcome is uncertain. That's why we roll dice: to resolve an action whose outcome is uncertain. The attack is what the character is doing, the roll is what the player does to see if it is a success or failure. See also the game Risk.

To say that we have 23 pages of someone overcomplicating things might be an understatement, but there are many accomplices.

We may have a new record for hair splitting, though, so perhaps there's a silver lining to this cloud. Also, a few of the posters in this thread ought to be commended for sheer endurance, regardless of which side they have taken.

Gritty unrealism, you might say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    It's starting to turn into a Monty Python skit.
    No it isn't.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-10-23 at 09:40 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #695
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Nope. The attack roll resolves the decision to attack, since the outcome is uncertain. That's why we roll dice: to resolve an action whose outcome is uncertain. The attack is what the character is doing, the roll is what the player does to see if it is a success or failure. See also the game Risk.
    Sounds like you have a question about if an attack roll counts as an attack. We have a rule for that.

"If there's ever any question whether something you're doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: if you're making an attack roll, you're making an attack."

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    It's starting to turn into a Monty Python skit.
    Sounds like you have a question about if an attack roll counts as an attack. We have a rule for that.

"If there's ever any question whether something you're doing counts as an attack, the rule is simple: if you're making an attack roll, you're making an attack."
    As Tonto once said to the Lone Ranger: "Who's this we, Kimo Sabe?"

I have no lack of understanding on when to roll the dice. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #697
    Colossus in the Playground

The rule is not, "You are only making an attack in the exact moment you roll an attack roll." The rule is that, if you have any question about whether an action is an attack or not, you can tell that it is an attack by the fact that you make an attack roll as part of it.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

The rule is not, "You are only making an attack in the exact moment you roll an attack roll." The rule is that, if you have any question about whether an action is an attack or not, you can tell that it is an attack by the fact that you make an attack roll as part of it.
    Yup. But if we need to sort out what exactly counts as an attack and what doesn't we can with the rule. "Step 1: Pick a Target" is a prepatory step for an eventual attack (that specifically occurs in Step 3) but Step 1 in isolation is not an attack (since Step 1 features no attack roll).

When we consider Steps 1 to 3 collectively together we can call that making an attack, since an attack roll occurs in Step 3. But Step 1 in isolation is not an attack. Neither is step 2 in isolation an attack. Once again, this works exactly as we would expect.
    Last edited by ThorOdinson; 2020-10-23 at 11:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yup. But if we need to sort out what exactly counts as an attack and what doesn't we can with the rule. "Step 1: Pick a Target" is a prepatory step for an eventual attack (that specifically occurs in Step 3) but Step 1 in isolation is not an attack (since Step 1 features no attack roll).

When we consider Steps 1 to 3 collectively together we can call that making an attack, since an attack roll occurs in Step 3. But Step 1 in isolation is not an attack. Neither is step 2 in isolation an attack. Once again, this works exactly as we would expect.
    No, they are all part of the same action.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OzDragon View Post
    No, they are all part of the same action.
    And this is made explicit on page 194 of the phb-

“An attack has a simple structure”
    Have fun, stay sane, enjoy the madness.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SpanielBear View Post
    And this is made explicit on page 194 of the phb-

Does Step 1 in isolation count as an attack?

Step 1 in isolation does not count as an attack.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Does Step 1 in isolation count as an attack?

Step 1 in isolation does not count as an attack.
    I agree, step 1 in isolation does not count as an attack.

Why should step 1 in isolation count as an attack?

All three steps are then listed.

To turn the question back on itself- can you make an attack without step 1?
    Last edited by SpanielBear; 2020-10-24 at 12:33 AM.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

I agree, step 1 in isolation does not count as an attack.

Why should step 1 in isolation count as an attack?

All three steps are then listed.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ooooh, dear oh dear.

Where is your permission to make an attack roll?

15. - Top - End - #705
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Ooooh, dear oh dear.

Where is your permission to make an attack roll?
    Permission is not an issue. I am not trying to skip permission or rules. I am just identifying what exactly counts as an attack when that kind of granularity or specificity is required.

So if you present all 3 steps to me collectively we can count that as an attack. Step 3 has an attack roll.

If you ask me when exactly in that 3 step process the attack specifically occurs, the rule will zero in on the attack roll as what definitively counts as an attack.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Permission is not an issue. I am not trying to skip permission or rules. I am just identifying what exactly counts as an attack when that kind of granularity or specificity is required.

So if you present all 3 steps to me collectively we can count that as an attack. Step 3 has an attack roll.

If you ask me when exactly in that 3 step process the attack specifically occurs, the rule will zero in on the attack roll as what definitively counts as an attack.
    Nope, I do not ask you where in that chain the attack occurs.

The chain is the attack. This can be shown in two ways.

A) an attack cannot occur without all steps in the chain being met,

And

B) the chain is defined by the RAW as the simple structure of an attack. (Phb pg. 194)

So, an attack by a thrown weapon is an attack with a one handed weapon. Following all the steps of an attack (as no step can be excluded, as you yourself have shown), it satisfies all the conditions to meet the requirements of duellist. Therefore, the bonus damage granted by duellist applies. Q.E.D.
    Last edited by SpanielBear; 2020-10-24 at 12:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Nope, I do not ask you where in that chain the attack occurs.

The chain is the attack. This can be shown in two ways.

A) an attack cannot occur without all steps in the chain being met,

And

B) the chain is defined by the RAW as the simple structure of an attack. (Phb pg. 194)

So, an attack by a thrown weapon is an attack with a one handed weapon. Following all the steps of an attack (as no step can be excluded, as you yourself have shown), it satisfies all the conditions to meet the requirements of duellist. Therefore, the bonus damage granted by duellist applies. Q.E.D.
    The Dueling fighting style requires the weapon to be in one hand when the damage roll is made.
    Last edited by ThorOdinson; 2020-10-24 at 01:00 AM.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Dueling fighting style requires the weapon to be in one hand.
    To be wielded in one hand, actually. And I believe that line of argument has already been addressed.

Ad nauseum.
    Last edited by SpanielBear; 2020-10-24 at 01:00 AM.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

To be wielded in one hand, actually. And I believe that line of argument has already been addressed.

Ad nauseum.
    Yup. And like all the others you have failed to prove with RAW that the weapon is "in one hand", so it does not get the Dueling fighting style bonus.
    Last edited by ThorOdinson; 2020-10-24 at 01:04 AM.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yup. And like all the others you have failed to prove with RAW that the weapon is "in one hand", so it does not get the Dueling fighting style bonus
    Stage 3 of an attack includes the damage roll (phb pg 195)

We have already shown an attack cannot be made without satisfying all stages.

Therefore, an attack with a thrown weapon is an attack with a weapon wielded in one hand.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

Yup. And like all the others you have failed to prove with RAW that the weapon is "in one hand", so it does not get the Dueling fighting style bonus.
    Technically, you've failed to prove any RAW that says the weapon leaves your hand before a damage roll is made. We could be generous and say neither interpretation is any more valid at this point, 23 pages later.

Personally, I'd say you've got more work to do to prove your case, I'm not convinced.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2020-10-24 at 01:10 AM.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Stage 3 of an attack includes the damage roll (phb pg 195)

We have already shown an attack cannot be made without satisfying all stages.

Therefore, an attack with a thrown weapon is an attack with a weapon wielded in one hand.
    You are leaving out where you actually prove the weapon is "in one hand".

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    Technically, you've failed to prove any RAW that says the weapon leaves your hand before a damage roll is made. We could be generous and say neither interpretation is any more valid at this point, 23 pages later.

Personally, I'd say you've got more work to do to prove your case, I'm not convinced.
    "Thrown
    If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack."

If the weapon is still in one hand you did not throw it and therefore did not have permission to make a ranged attack.
    Last edited by ThorOdinson; 2020-10-24 at 01:13 AM.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Duplicate post
    Last edited by ThorOdinson; 2020-10-24 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Dyplicate

24. - Top - End - #714
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You are leaving out where you actually prove the weapon is "in one hand".
    The weapon is in the characters hand.

When the attack is made, the weapon is in the characters hand (it cannot leave until is thrown, after all, if we’re interacting with the narrative layer, and it can hardly be thrown without a target being identified).

We have agreed there is no granularity in an attack. An attack is all three stages or not an attack at all.

The attack is therefore made with a weapon wielded in one hand, including (necessarily) the damage roll.

The bonus damage is added.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Troll in the Playground

"Thrown
    If a weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack."

If the weapon is still in one hand you did not throw it and therefore did not have permission to make a ranged attack.
    Where does it say that it's left your hand before damage is rolled? The attack and damage rolls happen simultaneously as far as mechanics are concerned.

This seems to be the crux of your argument, but simply quoting this doesn't prove your case.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Thrown

You are confusing the player and the character.

This is fun, isn’t it?
    Last edited by SpanielBear; 2020-10-24 at 01:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    Where does it say that it's left your hand before damage is rolled? The attack and damage rolls happen simultaneously as far as mechanics are concerned.
    You dont have permission to make a ranged attack with a weapon with the Thrown property unless you throw it.

Do you have a citation that "attack and damage rolls happen simultaneously"?

If you actually read Step 3 . . .

Resolve the attack. You make the attack roll. On a hit, you roll damage, unless the particular attack has rules that specify otherwise. Some attacks cause special effects in addition to or instead of damage.

By RAW, the damage roll occurs after the attack roll and only for hits.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Do you have a citation that "attack and damage rolls happen simultaneously"?
    Ooh, ooh, I do! It’s pg. 194, “an attack has a simple structure.” It’s all the attack.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

You are confusing the player and the character.

This is fun, isn’t it?
    Nope. I am not confusing player and character. You are.

And please don't skip what you need to attend to.

You need to prove by RAW that the weapon is "in one hand".

30. - Top - End - #720
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nope. I am not confusing player and character. You are.

And please don't skip what you need to attend to.

You need to prove by RAW that the weapon is "in one hand".
    Did that.

“ The weapon is in the characters hand.

When the attack is made, the weapon is in the characters hand (it cannot leave until is thrown, after all, if we’re interacting with the narrative layer, and it can hardly be thrown without a target being identified).

We have agreed there is no granularity in an attack. An attack is all three stages or not an attack at all.

The attack is therefore made with a weapon wielded in one hand, including (necessarily) the damage roll.

The bonus damage is added.”

And you are kind of confusing player and character because you see, I don’t throw a weapon. I roll dice. The *character* wields the weapon and throws it (which is probably for the best; my aim is terrible!).
    Last edited by SpanielBear; 2020-10-24 at 01:38 AM.