New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Talk How colossally dumb Dorukan was [Untagged SoD spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    Mantis is still psychically linked to him; I'd always assumed he was reacting to her pain.
    Yup. It was hitting Mantis that hurt him. Even movie Thanos laughs off blasts to the face.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

It's hard to see where the two first strikes land exactly because of cuts, but the third one happens after Mantis has moved her hands out of the way and it still hurts Thanos.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-08-01 at 04:18 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It's hard to see where the two first strikes land exactly because of cuts, but the third one happens after Mantis has moved her hands out of the way and it still hurts Thanos.
    Hurts, maybe. But it doesn't do any damage. In fact, he reacts about as much to having a grenade planted on him, or Iron Man bombarding him with missiles.

In the end he calls it out. For all their attacks, for all the explosions, guns, fancy magic, and physical might, they only manage to draw a single drop of blood. That's the only actual injury we see him take.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Hurts, maybe. But it doesn't do any damage. In fact, he reacts about as much to having a grenade planted on him, or Iron Man bombarding him with missiles.

In the end he calls it out. For all their attacks, for all the explosions, guns, fancy magic, and physical might, they only manage to draw a single drop of blood. That's the only actual injury we see him take.
    The fact that during all that he's using the magic glove that redacts reality and that one of the first magic glowing rocks he gets is the one that makes you more powerful has nothing to do with that, I'm sure.

Also if it hurts, it did damage. That's what pain is, the body reacting to damage.

Edit: Hell, remember how he captures Gamora? He uses an illusion to make her thinks she's killed him. By stabbing him with that little letter opener he gave her. And she bought it. If you ask Thanos' daughter, he dies when you stab him with a knife.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-08-01 at 06:48 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The fact that during all that he's using the magic glove that redacts reality and that one of the first magic glowing rocks he gets is the one that makes you more powerful has nothing to do with that, I'm sure.

Also if it hurts, it did damage. That's what pain is, the body reacting to damage.

Edit: Hell, remember how he captures Gamora? He uses an illusion to make her thinks she's killed him. By stabbing him with that little letter opener he gave her. And she bought it. If you ask Thanos' daughter, he dies when you stab him with a knife.
    In the movies Thanos can only use the gauntlet when he closes his fist, which is why Dr Strange and Iron Man use various methods to prevent him closing his fist for a time, otherwise he'd curb stomp them even faster despite the fact he's carefully sounding them out for most of the fight to get a read on where the Time Stone is. He has no stone abilities when he fights Hulk or is bombarded with missiles by Tony. Movie Thanos is nothing compared to the comic version, but he's still stronger and more durable than the Hulk, and a character of that level isn't getting hurt by a random blaster.

As for the knife; for all we know her sword is made of hardened vibranium alloy. It's also being wielded by someone who is superhumanly strong, even if that aspect wasn't always apparent to viewers. This is space, there are all manner of crazy hard metals in existence. Thanos own bladed weapon destroys Captain America's nigh indestructible vibranium shield.
    Last edited by TooSoon; 2021-08-01 at 06:59 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

I think his sword is made of the same material Gungnir was? Uru or something?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TooSoon View Post
    In the movies Thanos can only use the gauntlet when he closes his fist
    Is there context in the movies such that it seems less ridiculous?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yup. It was hitting Mantis that hurt him. Even movie Thanos laughs off blasts to the face.
    I don't think it was as much hurting him as waking him up to the world outside of the trance Mantis had induced, which, be fair, the best hypnotist in the world is going to have a tough time keeping their client entranced if someone is also whacking them about the head and shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Is there context in the movies such that it seems less ridiculous?
    Essentially it was played that, like a D&D spellcaster, he had to make somatic gestures to get the effects he wanted, not just think them into happening; probably connected to the fact that the gems were in a gauntlet. If only he had made an Infinity Headband. (But then, instead of shriveling his arm when it was used, the results would have been inflicted on his head, so that might have been a factor to consider.) I have read that it wasn't quite like that in the comic, but I don't know firsthand.

The rule "works" in the context of watching the movie- if every time he does something, he has to make a gesture, immobilizing his hand is a pretty good preventitive measure.
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2021-08-01 at 07:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Essentially it was played that, like a D&D spellcaster, he had to make somatic gestures to get the effects he wanted, not just think them into happening; probably connected to the fact that the gems were in a gauntlet. If only he had made an Infinity Headband. (But then, instead of shriveling his arm when it was used, the results would have been inflicted on his head, so that might have been a factor to consider.) I have read that it wasn't quite like that in the comic, but I don't know firsthand.

The rule "works" in the context of watching the movie- if every time he does something, he has to make a gesture, immobilizing his hand is a pretty good preventitive measure.
    OK, that sounds pretty fair.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

I’ve heard that in the comics the Gems are easier to use and far more powerful. The Gauntlet’s literally just a normal gauntlet(or was it a glove? I forget) that he uses to easily wear them.

In the movies though the Gauntlet’s basically a control device and even then it’s not perfect.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I’ve heard that in the comics the Gems are easier to use and far more powerful. The Gauntlet’s literally just a normal gauntlet(or was it a glove? I forget) that he uses to easily wear them.

In the movies though the Gauntlet’s basically a control device and even then it’s not perfect.
    In the comics the gems were absurd, but they had limitations too. Your mastery of each gem was contingent on your ability to harmonise with it. This was illustrated by the Elders of the Universe; beings who had essentially attained true immortality and power cosmic due to their single minded obsession over one particular aspect of existence. Some of these aspects naturally lent themselves to using these gems; like The Champion's obsession is with battle and he doesn't even realise the power gem is empowering him until after Thanos gets it off him. A different Elder can't use one of the gems at all, because their obsession is the antithesis of the gem he possesses. As a super genius plot breaking badass, Thanos can use all 6 of the gems to their maximum abilities, but even he needs time to gradually understand the scope of their power as he obtains more; because the gems stack like compound interest on crack.

Basically if you have the power gem, like the Champion, you can amplify every aspect of your own power to the extent of your affinity with the gem, to the point he could just one shot a planet with his fist... but if you combine the space gem with the power gem, then each amplifies the others abilities and perception. It's not like 1 + 1 = 2, more like you go from 50 to 500 when you combine 2 gems, then from 500 to 10,000 when you combine a 3rd gem, then 10,000 to a million, and so on, as each gem amplifies and enhances the powers, perceptions, etc, you have from the others. After getting all 6 gems Thanos clicks his fingers and wipes out half the universe, but he still isn't close to filtering out and perceiving the full scope of his power. His perceptions take time to adjust, until later he effortless beats a host of Marvel uber gods like Galactus and the Celestials after realigning his filter from a power down to "prove himself" against the Avengers using only the power stone, and follows that up by defeating Eternity (the embodiment of the universe) in 1 second; and thus becoming the new Universe... however his new perception as the universe itself is so grand he momentarily forgets his trashed physical body, whereupon Nebula strolls over and removes the gauntlet and bye bye Universe Thanos.

Side note: comic Thanos is so powerful that in one comic he fights Thor who has his belt of double strength, who is in the warriors madness which bolsters his strength by a factor of 10, and Thor has the power gem to boot. Thanos messes around going to toe to toe with him for a while, then just pulls out a plot gun and beats him in 1 blast. After that he tangles respectably with Odin, who in the comics can destroy galaxies at full power.
    Last edited by TooSoon; 2021-08-02 at 03:36 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In the comics the gems were absurd, but they had limitations too. Your mastery of each gem was contingent on your ability to harmonise with it. <snip> As a super genius plot breaking badass, Thanos can use all 6 of the gems to their maximum abilities, but even he needs time to gradually understand the scope of their power as he obtains more; because the gems stack like compound interest on crack...
    Which, and I'm not criticizing either approach here, just saying- which is an interesting take on the whole Infinity Stone matter, but probably too cerebral to get across in the context of a film, where you're supposed to show, not tell. How would we show someone harmonizing with a Space Stone, for example? And could it be done in the course of a 2 hour film?

Thanos still shows himself the same plot-breaking badass as in the comics, and then did it again without any of the stones. I thought it was a hell of a conclusion to the first wave of the films.

Both are equally valid and both work, just in different ways. Like the sequence of Ender training (Ender's Game), in the film vs the novel; I was a little disappointed at some of the bits that were compressed together, changed, or left out of the film, but it still got the point across in a viscerally understandable way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

13. - Top - End - #283
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Which, and I'm not criticizing either approach here, just saying- which is an interesting take on the whole Infinity Stone matter, but probably too cerebral to get across in the context of a film, where you're supposed to show, not tell. How would we show someone harmonizing with a Space Stone, for example? And could it be done in the course of a 2 hour film?

Thanos still shows himself the same plot-breaking badass as in the comics, and then did it again without any of the stones. I thought it was a hell of a conclusion to the first wave of the films.

Both are equally valid and both work, just in different ways. Like the sequence of Ender training (Ender's Game), in the film vs the novel; I was a little disappointed at some of the bits that were compressed together, changed, or left out of the film, but it still got the point across in a viscerally understandable way.
    1 film? I think not. They did over a dozen relating to the stones as part of phases 1-3.

The stones could have been explained differently, but making them as powerful as the comics would have rendered the heroes all but useless except as a distraction (all they did in the comics basically).

Thanos in the movies is nothing compared to comic Thanos for badassery.
    Last edited by TooSoon; 2021-08-03 at 02:26 AM.