New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Male

Default Re: Variant, non-broken monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    The problem is that it's a homebrew list. That's putting stuff on a list that isn't on the list.
    ...And you really think yours is in any way a reasonable distinction to keep the obviously overpowered monk from taking fighter feats, or that such was intended? The differences between "fighter bonus feats" and "fighter bonus feat list" are utterly negligible in regular conversation. Screwing over someone playing a monk "just because" is kind of a jerky thing to do as a DM. It's not like there are many PC classes that are less powerful and more useless than a monk. Heck, half the NPC classes are more powerful and useful to just about any group.

[edit] Unarmed swordsage'd.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-06-13 at 07:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I think his main argument (oh god... am I backing snowbluff?) is simply that by strictest RAW, its only the list.

Obviously even he would agree (he better) that it would make sence for any gm to just allow all fighter feats for reasons mentioned by rubik

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Here, try this I cant believe its not Druid, its an almost perfectly legal monk created through combining variants and ACFs. Resists nature's lure should not be granted at third level

Its also really powerful.
    Last edited by toapat; 2014-06-14 at 12:03 AM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renen View Post
    I think his main argument (oh god... am I backing snowbluff?) is simply that by strictest RAW, its only the list.

Obviously even he would agree (he better) that it would make sence for any gm to just allow all fighter feats for reasons mentioned by rubik
    Indeed. The argument was originally to get around that "I have epic fighter feats" crap, but I ended up debunking the entire ACF. Nothing about it dysfunctional in any way. In fact, your feat list is greatly improved for several styles. It's just not all-encompassing like people think it is.

What Curmudgeon said has much wider implications. Even if you were to grab any fighter feat you wanted, you couldn't use it.

Personally, I would rather not have the monk just circumvent every requirement, but the combination of being MAD and not having full BAB (BAB is a common prerequisite) leaves no other option. A fixed monk in terms of bonus feats would simply have full BAB, be less MAD, and would have to meet their prereqs. Unfortunately, you might as well have a fighter at that point.

Also, I'm only like 48% unbackable. I try to have reasons to say the things I say.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-06-14 at 12:16 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

I try to have reasons to say the things I say.
    Reasons? REASONS?!

Snowbluff, you killed the internet.

This probably wins you an honorary internet.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    Reasons? REASONS?!

Snowbluff, you killed the internet.

This probably wins you an honorary internet.
    Woops.

If it's any consolation, I'll foster this honorary internet in order to replace the one I mercilessly cut down in its prime.

Thanks.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's not like giving the Monk two weapon rend or robilar's gambit at level 2 is particularly broken anyways, so I don't get all the (questionable) RAW finagling to try to make the ACF worse.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    It's not like giving the Monk two weapon rend or robilar's gambit at level 2 is particularly broken anyways, so I don't get all the (questionable) RAW finagling to try to make the ACF worse.
    It's not a question about "RAW finagling," more like one of what happens when you assume things.

Monk2, Decisive Strike + Rolimbar's = "I attack you, but I get slaughtered in response!" Very tricky.

9. - Top - End - #39

Double damage AoOs are sexy.

But we're still playing in a game with wizards, clerics and druids.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Double damage AoOs are sexy.

But we're still playing in a game with wizards, clerics and druids.
    They're broken in different ways. I wouldn't aspire to push a monk to a druid's level (Perish the though!). However, they should be move into line with their prospective peers. That is to say, the T3 crowd.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-06-14 at 01:17 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    That's only true to a limited, likely non-useful, extent. Yes, the Monk can select any available feat without having to meet the normal prerequisites. They are not allowed to use the feat without prerequisites, however. In a Monk build this allows extra freedom of the order in which you acquire feats — and that's all.
    This argument has been made before. It means every level 1 monk that used stunning fist was playing wrong, so people tend to ignore it.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Oh.
    I did not though of epic fighter feats. I'm starting to see the problem of the ACF.
    Still, I believe that RAI (or even RAW) is that a monk can take any fighter bonus feat.
    However, I still believe not letting monks take too powerful feats (if those feats are too powerful indeed, and not just making the monk a bit better) might be a better way to fix the ACF than limiting its feat selection to the PHB, but your interpretation has the merit of not being dm-dependent.
    Black is for nitpicking.
    Black is for sarcasm.
    Blue is for serious.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a different between taking epic endurance or epic prowess versus taking 2 martial monk 2 levels and becoming immune to ranged atttack rolls.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

My simple monk fix was to remove all of the Monk SU abilities other than speed and anything related to AC bonuses. Then add in full PsyWar manifesting, including powers known and PP/day.

Boom, fix't. Play that, 1-20, and you'll have fun and be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Yes, the Monk can select any available feat without having to meet the normal prerequisites. They are not allowed to use the feat without prerequisites, however.
    Page 7 of the monster manual (and SRD) disagrees:
    Creatures often do not have the prerequisites for a bonus feat. If this is so, the creature can still use the feat.