New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1455
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not about the chocolate, it's about the principle of the matter, my brother acted entitled and bossy about it, we talked it out, and then he went behind my back to try and get my mother to berate me.
    Everyone acting ****ty to you after the fact IS true, 100%. But it still begs the question of "why did you not want the chocolates?"

This entire situation would be solved by just accepting that they will never understand you don't want to celebrate with them. There are times where just rolling with a thing are correct, actually.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

Rater, I'm continually amazed at how much your life sucks. as far as brothers go, I'm the youngest so what I had to deal with was an older brother who either constantly trolls me, draws me into tiresome nitpicky arguments like you find on the internet but in real life, or decides that I need some cynical speech about how harsh reality is and how I should grow up, things like that. But at least he is better than my father. Can take me some switching of gears, but I can find ways to have fun with my brother by being sarcastic back at him.

this whole exchange your having reminds me when my family wants me to try new foods. I don't really get such efforts myself other than wanting me to eat a wider variety for health reasons. it isn't as bad as it used to be as my tastes have expanded though.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #1203

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Rater, I'm continually amazed at how much your life sucks. as far as brothers go, I'm the youngest so what I had to deal with was an older brother who either constantly trolls me, draws me into tiresome nitpicky arguments like you find on the internet but in real life, or decides that I need some cynical speech about how harsh reality is and how I should grow up, things like that. But at least he is better than my father. Can take me some switching of gears, but I can find ways to have fun with my brother by being sarcastic back at him.

this whole exchange your having reminds me when my family wants me to try new foods. I don't really get such efforts myself other than wanting me to eat a wider variety for health reasons. it isn't as bad as it used to be as my tastes have expanded though.
    The main reason I say I shouldn't be trusted with power is becuase I would use it.

The main reason I would use it is becuase... Why the hell wouldn't I? I'm not even halfway through the crapstorm that's been my life. There are hundreds of millions of people who have it as bad or worse than I do.

Why wouldn't I want massive amounts of power that I could use to improve my lot in life and right the wrongs that constantly befall me and countless other people on a daily basis?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah when it clears 100 for months...and 110 for weeks...heat will just kill ya and the lack of humidity will make you forget just how much water ya need.

In my 10K town we lost a person or so every year...mostly children or tourists. But even a 23 year old who just misjudged how much water they needed...

So really hot and dry will kill yeah.

Also I'm not sure people want more AC before sleep as when trying to sleep is when I normally hear of complaints...but DLT was set up when AC was rare and cities like Phoenix/Houston/Kuala Lumpur/Dubai were limited in appeal because of that. Back before the 60's lighting and heating were the big energy draws...so maxing out the use of sunlight makes more sense.

Then again I like DLT...(/unpopular opinion) i think people complaining about sunset coming early would be just as likely to complain about waking up before dawn...assuming you are far enough south to not have to deal with both...like say the Scottish, Canadian, or Finns.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

It's never good when the streets are so good water boils.

On advent calendars, I always forget to get myself one. But the idea of getting a bit of Lego each day (or heck, some other small thing that isn't some sort of sweet) is great. Unfortunately I didn't go looking in time for the non-discrimination funding Lego calendars to still be available.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I think ultimately the issue here is Rater, why do you not want the free chocolate gifts?
    I know for me, I've had somewhat of a same problem where my mother and grandmother'll (and occasionally my aunt) will visit and then leave gifts of food without asking me. Often these are things with a limited lifespan, such as pastries.

Now, I am not a big eater, as I may have mentioned. So... if I suddenly have more food, I now have a problem - I bought enough food for me to be satisfied assuming that I would not have this additional food. And they just keep bringing more, no matter how much I ask. My grandmother makes tarts every year. I still had tarts in the freezer from last year, because I was given so much food over the course of the year that was perishable that I never was able to dip into the things that would keep when I was a bit more peckish than normal.

Sure, gifts are fine... but there becomes a point where such things are impractical, and in this case it's based on one's appetite. If it's never going to get eaten, it's just taking up space, or causing problems, or (even if non-perishable) causing guilt when more gifts just keep piling up...
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

7. - Top - End - #1207

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I know for me, I've had somewhat of a same problem where my mother and grandmother'll (and occasionally my aunt) will visit and then leave gifts of food without asking me. Often these are things with a limited lifespan, such as pastries.

Now, I am not a big eater, as I may have mentioned. So... if I suddenly have more food, I now have a problem - I bought enough food for me to be satisfied assuming that I would not have this additional food. And they just keep bringing more, no matter how much I ask. My grandmother makes tarts every year. I still had tarts in the freezer from last year, because I was given so much food over the course of the year that was perishable that I never was able to dip into the things that would keep when I was a bit more peckish than normal.

Sure, gifts are fine... but there becomes a point where such things are impractical, and in this case it's based on one's appetite. If it's never going to get eaten, it's just taking up space, or causing problems, or (even if non-perishable) causing guilt when more gifts just keep piling up...
    That really doesn't apply to an advent calendar, but...

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, it's along the same principle. I've been given an advent calendar, like I have every year. Still haven't touched it, since I've got a pile of other stuff I'll never end up getting to first, because I rarely am in the mood for that stuff, over that which I get for myself.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

9. - Top - End - #1209

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Now, I am not a big eater, as I may have mentioned. So... if I suddenly have more food, I now have a problem - I bought enough food for me to be satisfied assuming that I would not have this additional food.
    If you've been given a gift of something edible, you could always...not buy as much food next time you shop? That way, you save money *and* get to enjoy your gift. This is assuming your edible gift actually makes sense, of course, unlike the time my brother bought me a box of chocolates for Christmas a few months after I'd been diagnosed with diabetes...

10. - Top - End - #1210

Changing topics:

Relating to my previous comments regarding a third eye, ever since learning how the Rinnegan/Six Paths technique from Naruto works I've been curious as to how a being with a single consciousness distributed among multiple bodies each with independent senses would actually work or perceive the world.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-12-14 at 09:04 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

I learnt to touch type when I was like 13/14, partially because my handwriting was terrible (and still is, considering I'm disabled but insist on writing in cursive/script), and then almost immediately went back to hunting and pecking and mostly forgot how to do it until I was doing my GCSEs, where I just naturally slipped back into it when doing the 'get content out as fast as possible stages of academic work. Now I feel like actually looking at the keyboard slows me down, even though I don't do it in the correct posture most of the time (just using my first two fingers).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Dwarf in the Playground

Changing topics:

Relating to my previous comments regarding a third eye, ever since learning how the Rinnegan/Six Paths technique from Naruto works I've been curious as to how a being with a single consciousness distributed among multiple bodies each with independent senses would actually work or perceive the world.
    Interesting question. There's not really a solid working model of consciousness existing as a thing independent of the bodies it's manifest in, but then, consciousness is sort of a slippery thing and arguably there's not really a solid working model of consciousness existing in bodies either, so who's to say.

This is usually the point where I start talking about the superconscious and egregores and emergent order and swarm behavior until it's time to buy the next round, but I haven't been out to the bar in a while.

(And the trees have an internet mediated by subterannean fungal networks!)

In the meantime, for an interesting thought on how eyes outside of your body might feel, relevant XKCD.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

Changing topics:

Would probably need some time to adapt (unless born that way) and then function more or less well but each couble would behave like a very distracted person.

There's a French show where in the last episode one (fairly dumb) character reveals he has the power to create a double that works that way, but he usually doesn't because "I get yelled at twice as much" and, indeed, it ends up much like the fantasy equivalent of a guy holding two phones to his head and trying to take part in two different conversations at once.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-12-14 at 01:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Bugbear in the Playground

A being used to a single body suddenly getting shunted into a multi body configuration or having to process input from additional senses is probably not going to do well, but an organism evolved as such would be fine. I imagine its brain and priorities would be very different, though.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I think people were more concerned about your behavior in your youtube video.

The subsequent reaction in the thread obviously wasn't great, but the initial video was the real problem.
    Yes, I know.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If you've been given a gift of something edible, you could always...not buy as much food next time you shop? That way, you save money *and* get to enjoy your gift. This is assuming your edible gift actually makes sense, of course, unlike the time my brother bought me a box of chocolates for Christmas a few months after I'd been diagnosed with diabetes...
    Unfortunately, generally I'm barely able to make myself eat enough to just eat meals most of the time. So a lot of time any cutting out of sustenance'll be out of the actual important things in the day. Which is... not great.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

Six panelists? Six!>

Does I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue think it's not on Radio 4? How am I supposed to deal with this?

Show

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yes, I know.
    Have you taken the video down, and put up a video or public statement of some sort on Youtube apologizing for what you did?

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Have you taken the video down, and put up a video or public statement of some sort on Youtube apologizing for what you did?
    Do I have to?

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Do I have to?
    You don't have to do anything, but not doing it is equivalent to not acknowledging there was a mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Titan in the Playground

Do I have to?
    Strictly speaking, no, but if people, especially whoever the video was about, have complained you should certainly make a public apology, and if you don't take the video down (or private it) your apology needs to explain why (and it should be a good reason).

The next part is to not do it again. You don't have to be perfect, but slip-ups can't be near this magnitude or you run the risk of making it look like you're not sincere. Actually unless you can come up with a very good reason not taking the video down runs that risk, and even if you do have such a reason it's safer to take the video down.

Social things are hard and depend on context, and certainly here the exception action is to take the video down and apologise. It's like with offensive jokes, who your audience is changes reactions and expected behaviour a lot. I can tell a joke that begins with a very offensive statement to close friends because they know I'll turn it around by the end, I could not put such a joke into a YouTube video or post it here.

Show

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    You don't have to do anything, but not doing it is equivalent to not acknowledging there was a mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Strictly speaking, no, but if people, especially whoever the video was about, have complained you should certainly make a public apology, and if you don't take the video down (or private it) your apology needs to explain why (and it should be a good reason).

The next part is to not do it again. You don't have to be perfect, but slip-ups can't be near this magnitude or you run the risk of making it look like you're not sincere. Actually, unless you can come up with a very good reason not taking the video down runs that risk, and even if you do have such a reason it's safer to take the video down.

Social things are hard and depend on context, and certainly, here the exception action is to take the video down and apologize. It's like with offensive jokes, who your audience is changes reactions and expected behavior a lot. I can tell a joke that begins with a very offensive statement to close friends because they know I'll turn it around by the end, I could not put such a joke into a YouTube video or post it here.
    You made a good point though.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

According to my chocolate advent calendar, it's now 5 days after Christmas.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

Darn it, I hate free trials. The lack of a machine that can run Cyberpunk 2077 is making me want to try the Stadia Pro trial just to see if the lag is minimal enough to allow games to actually be played.

Show

25. - Top - End - #1225

Darn it, I hate free trials. The lack of a machine that can run Cyberpunk 2077 is making me want to try the Stadia Pro trial just to see if the lag is minimal enough to allow games to actually be played.
    I'd wait: Apparently even on a PC optimized for gaming Cyberpunk 2077 still has some... issues.

"It's not even been out a week and the company is already offering refunds directly" type issues.

PEr commentary from Penny Arcade, the game seems to have been released before it was done.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

I'd wait: Apparently even on a PC optimized for gaming Cyberpunk 2077 still has some... issues.

"It's not even been out a week and the company is already offering refunds directly" type issues.

PEr commentary from Penny Arcade, the game seems to have been released before it was done.
    It was clear they were intent on releasing it in 2020 come what may, so I'm not surprised. I've heard that the PC version is relatively stable but still has some bugs, but I'd probably mess around with the free Pro games for a month before starting it anyway (as I'd still need to put done a decent chunk of money to play it on Stadia).

Show

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It's never good when the streets are so good water boils.
    Well toss a glass of water onto the concrete and you can see the steam forming over the puddle in seconds it takes to disappear...as in under a minute. And to see the vapor formation you mostly needed a good backdrop more than anything.
    Watching water dry was an actual pastime in my childhood because we are talking about a retreat of 1-3cm/sec of the edge of the puddle when you get into the really hot and dry days. (also watching tourists try to clean their windows in a gas station could be really funny)

28. - Top - End - #1228

The Guy who does XKCD used to do a blog where he'd answer math and science questions and a few other things. The bog stopped updating a few years ago.

One of those questions was "what if someone built a device that captured all of the sun's outpoint anf focused it ito a beam that was one meter in diameter when it reaches the earth.

(spoilers, it wouldn't end well.)'

I like the choice of words used for what happens to a person standing in the beam.
    If you were standing in the path of the beam, you would obviously die pretty quickly. You wouldn't really die of anything, in the traditional sense. You would just stop being biology and start being physics.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

The Guy who does XKCD used to do a blog where he'd answer math and science questions and a few other things. The bog stopped updating a few years ago.

One of those questions was "what if someone built a device that captured all of the sun's outpoint anf focused it ito a beam that was one meter in diameter when it reaches the earth.

I like the choice of words used for what happens to a person standing in the beam.
    I quite like that as well.

Do I have to?
    If you're legitimately sorry, I would say you at least have to delete the video. The public post would be nice but is not strictly necessary.

30. - Top - End - #1230

I can tell you in no uncertain terms that there really is no reason to buy and play Cyberpunk 2077.

I should look that up For Specific Reasons...