New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Curse of Strahd Solo Run (IC)

"I don't know. If they're not attacking, be on the lookout, we could be walking into something," she warns.

"Are you well, Mary? Do you need to take a break and ride in the cart?" Ismark asks pointedly to Ireena. The curious question is met at first with silence. A glance back shows Ismark meeting Kellon's gaze, and Ireena performing somatic gestures and murmuring under her hood. A ripple like a pond into which a stone was cast flows across her body, assuming the appearance of Sokol's wife Mary.

"I should be okay," Ireena-as-Mary answers, doing her best to imitate Mary's voice. As the group moves into double file to cross the bridge, Sokol glances over from his spot towards the back with some confusion.

It is not until the group is halfway over the stone bridge that Kellon sees and hears movement ahead, and Father Donavich reports from the rear, "There are wolves on the trail. They are moving for the bridge." Sure enough, Kellon sees similar canine shapes taking up positions at the other end.

"They surrounded us. Kellon, be careful with those thunder spells, I'm not sure this bridge could take it," Gweyir cautions as she draws her sword. Ismark draws steel as well, shifting forward past Gweyir and readying his weapon.

Behind them, Sokol does the same, and Spider crawls up on the stone guards of the bridge.

Spoiler: Combat Logs
    Show
    Spider readies an action to attack.
    Ismark readies an action to attack.
    Sokol readies an action to attack.

It is Kellon's turn!

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Spider - 20
    Ismark - 19
    Sokol - 18
    Kellon - 13
    Wolves - 12
    Ireena - 8
    Sokol - 7
    Gweyir - 5

2. - Top - End - #872

So, Ireena has a little magic to her... Sadly, it seems like the wolves are too keen to be fooled by their act. Much as Kellon feared, both sides of the bridge are swarming with wolves.

"If it's just wolves, won't need thunder," Kellon answers Gweyir. "Something tells me it isn't, though... Strahd wouldn't send less of a force."

Loudly enough for everyone to hear, Kellon instructs, "Keep the cart moving! The only way out of an ambush is through!" He hopes the others will take his advice. Kellon leads by example as he moves forward, drawing his hammer and shield to make ready.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kellon moves forward 30 feet and draws his weapon. He trades his Action for another move and equips his shield.

3. - Top - End - #873

BlueKnightGuy

As the wolves begin to swarm onto the bridge, Kellon can see a familiar gleam in their eyes, the mark of the vampire's sway. Whether he can truly see through those eyes, who can say for certain.

Looking behind her, Ireena-as-Mary grabs hold of the donkey's reins and gently guides it forward, trying to look more furtive and nervous than she probably is. But the way ahead is too crowded to get far without overrunning Gweyir and Ismark.

Joining Kellon, Gweyir pulls a small palmful of seeds from her pouch and holds them up to the moonlight. "Malamalama Mahina!" The seeds take on a silver glow and begin to sprout, but instead of a plant, streams of silver light flutter out and up to the sky. A ray of pure white light seems to spear down straight from the full moon, enveloping one of the wolves. Its eyes flash and light up before dimming to their natural color, and the wolf collapses.

"They are not werewolves. That would have reverted them to their natural form," the druid states, taking a fighting stance.

"Good. Then let us push through!" moving forward, Ismark expertly drops another wolf with two slices of his blade.

Behind them, the backline moves along behind the wagon.

Show
    The wolves advance onto the bridge.

Ireena guides the donkey forward.
    Sokol Donavich (put the wrong name in Init) casts Virtue on Spider and moves up with the wagon.
    Gweyir casts (Arcana check failed) on a wolf, dealing 15 radiant damage and KO.
    Spider moves and readies an attack.
    Ismark strikes a wolf for 10 and 11 damage, KOing it.
    Sokol moves and readies an attack.

It is Kellon's turn!

Show
    Spider - 20
    Ismark - 19
    Sokol - 18
    Kellon - 13
    Wolves - 12
    Ireena - 8
    Donavich - 7
    Gweyir - 5
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-12-13 at 04:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #874

Kellon takes a step forward and swings at the wolf in front of him.
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[12] Silver Bludgeoning

5. - Top - End - #875

BlueKnightGuy

The warhammer whistles above the wolf's head, and the two of them in front of Kellon gnash and bite at his legs. One of them gets a hold of him and yanks him down onto his back, wobbling back and forth on his shell embarrassingly. A third lunges up next to him and bites at his arm, but he manages to ward it off.

The beam of light from the heavens slices forwards across the bridge, leaving the stone unharmed but burning out the evil power inside the wolves. Two of them falter and nearly keel over, their possessed eyes flickering. The one that brought Kellon down drops in a flash of light, as the first wolf.

Ismark marches through, bringing another wolf down, and leaving only one more between their wagon and the other side of the bridge.

Show
    Kellon swings at a wolf, but misses.

Wolf bites at Kellon, but misses.
    Wolf bites Kellon, critically hitting for 14 damage and knocking him Prone. His Temp HP eats 1 of the damage.
    Wolf bites at Kellon, but misses.

Ireena leads the donkey ahead.
    Father Donavich recasts Virtue on Spider as they move.
    Gweyir moves the moonbeam, dealing 7 damage to one wolf and 19 damage and KO to another, and 9 damage to a third that passes its save.
    Ismark slashes a wolf for 7 damage, KOing it.

It is Kellon's turn!

Show
    Spider - 20
    Ismark - 19
    Sokol - 18
    Kellon - 13
    Wolves - 12
    Ireena - 8
    Donavich - 7
    Gweyir - 5

6. - Top - End - #876

The wolf's bite feels like it's yanking the muscle right out of Kellon's leg. He cries out in agony as rattles back and forth on his shell. Fortunately, he is able to use the rim of his shield as a lever and pulls himself back up. Kellon hisses angrily at the wolf before swinging again.
    Show
    Kellon stands up and attacks.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[17]
    Advantage: (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[5]

7. - Top - End - #877

BlueKnightGuy

The hammer slams down into it and it falls down upon the stone. The wolves following behind are warded off as Sokol and Spider menace them with blade and fang, the wagon moving up ahead with the path clear, trampling a few of the unconscious wolves in the process.

Gweyir alters the course of her spell, bringing the celestial ray behind them to further warn the wolves away from following. They watch the wagon trundle away with malevolent eyes, before turning and walking calmly back to the south side of the bridge.

"They have given up," Sokol reports, as Spider quickly spins one of the wagon-trampled wolves up into a web cocoon and carries it along as a mobile snack.

"Those ones have. We should push the donkey harder, quicken our pace before something else is sent to hamper us."

Show
    Kellon swings at the wolf, dealing 5 damage and KO.

The following wolves give up the chase, and combat ends.

8. - Top - End - #878

Kellon touches a claw to his leg and lets the healing magic soothe as they march. "The other shoe has not dropped or I am the son of a snake! I'm all for going faster, but it feels like we're being flushed into a trap."
    Show
    Cure Wounds on Kellon: (1d8+3)[11]
    Last edited by Prehysterical; 2020-12-13 at 05:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #879

BlueKnightGuy

Falling back next to Ireena, Ismark regains control of the reins and pulls the donkey ahead, moving at a jog. The rest of the group falls in behind, Sokol trailing a bit with his stiff legs and slow pace. Eventually, Ireena's disguise fades as well.

It is a tiring run to the crossroads hamlet of Goul where, true to Strahd's letter, a black carriage with golden filigree in ornate swirls sits awaiting them. In front of it are two black horses with dark grey manes that flicker and swoop like smoke. The windows of the carriage are tinted black. Taking precautions, Ireena renews her disguise as they make their way past the crossroads.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    DC 10 Con save vs 1 level of Exhaustion for traveling at a fast pace.

10. - Top - End - #880

Although the wolf's bite and the muscle tearing is mostly healed, the new muscle in Kellon's leg tugs and sends sharp pain shooting up. It is not long before he is hobbling alongside the others.

"We can't keep going like this," Kellon finally admits. "If we keep up the pace at this rate, it'll just slow us to a crawl."

Ahead, they can see the black coach. Kellon feels trepidation as he whispers to Ismarck, "Strahd sent us a personal letter, told us that the coach would be waiting here. I've no intention of going along, but it's impossible for them not to recognize me. If things go belly-up and they take me up to the castle, just keep going. No sense in Strahd getting all of us."

11. - Top - End - #881

BlueKnightGuy

Father Donavich is also huffing and puffing as the group slows down, on approach to the crossroad gates. When they pause briefly to discuss the coach, he leans forwards and sets his hands on his knees for support as he catches his breath. The rest of the group seem fine, including the donkey, and the children of course don't have to worry about walking.

"Strahd will not be taking anyone tonight," Ismark answers back, continuing down the path and keeping a wary eye on the coach. But it shows no signs of movement, or of being occupied at all. The horses huff and look around, plodding their feet idly but otherwise paying no heed to the wagon rolling past.

And nothing makes a move to stop them as they pass through the gates, now overlooking the fields outside Vallaki. The Durst windmill can be seen in the distance, on its hill against the backdrop of the forest.

"So are we visiting the windmill first, or we go and stop in town first?" Sokol asks.

12. - Top - End - #882

A wave of relief washes over Kellon as no voice or spectral servant comes from the coach. As they near the windmill, Kellon considers Sokol's question.

"Speaking for myself, here, but I feel like we are obligated to at least check. If the final hag is in that tower and we can corner her, it means we don't have to risk her gathering a coven of witches and becoming a bigger problem later. Besides, I found something when we were there that could use examination from folk more magically inclined than myself."

13. - Top - End - #883

BlueKnightGuy

With a nod, Ismark guides the donkey down into the farming valley and through the country roads to reach the old mill. The children shudder and pull back under the tarp, dark memories of this place coming back. Ireena's disguise eventually fades again, and she self-consciously pulls her hood and cloak tighter around her.

They arrive, beneath the shadows of the standing stones and the wicked wooden spire of the mill, its blades turning lazily. "If there are magic items you have found here, I may be able to help you," Ireena offers.

14. - Top - End - #884

"There's one upstairs under a bed," Kellon tells her. "It's a Tarokka card surrounded by blood runes. Not the sort of thing I feel like just sticking my hand into. Now, let me go first. If our hag is home, best the one with the shell goes first."

With hammer and shield ready, Kellon heads for the front door.

15. - Top - End - #885

BlueKnightGuy

The old door is locked, but Ireena wastes no time with picks, giving it a swift high kick right where the lock is set into the door. The dry, withered wood snaps off and the door swings gently open, with nothing now connecting it to the lock in the wall. "After you," she motions with a hand. Ismark and Gweyir take up positions near the door and keep watch around the tower, while the others remain close to the wagon and guard it from attack.

Much as before, the first floor is lined with baking goods mundane and malevolent. The soul larvae pool remains, but some of it is gone from when Kellon last came here. If Bella stopped here before them, she's taken some of the foul mixture with her. Some other ingredients are also missing, such as the gourd of ground up childrens' bones. Ireena covers her mouth with her elbow, grimacing at the stench of the larvae pool.

Going up, the second and third floors prove empty of life, but also untouched. A peek under the bed shows that the bloody sigils are still in place around the Tarokka card.

"This is then? I can do this the fast way, or save my magic for later and do it the long way."

16. - Top - End - #886

When Ireena kicks down the door, Kellon gives her a surprised look before clacking his beak cheekily. "Maybe Strahd doesn't quite understand who he's after," he teases.

As expected, Bella is nowhere to be seen. As Kellon looks down at the sigils, he gives the question brief consideration before answering, "Something tells me that Bella is not going to be back any time soon. Invoke the ritual. We can keep watch in the meantime."

17. - Top - End - #887

BlueKnightGuy

"You pick up a thing or two when zombies try to break down your door monthly. Regular exercise and a lack of patience among them," Ireena jests, once they are past the rank barrel of soul refuse and up into the higher floors. She lowers her arm and looks around at the disrepair of the windmill. "I am inclined to agree this place could use tearing down and rebuilding. Much of it has been without maintenance for too long. Would need to replace much of the structure already. Even without its cursed functions."

At the hag's bed, she kneels down and takes out a piece of chalk to begin scrawling arcane symbols around the blood sigil. "I will let you know what I find out."

As she works, Kellon is left with ten minutes' free time to look around the mill and its surrounding hill.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-12-14 at 08:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #888

That was a longer length of time than Kellon was anticipating... At the very least, something else was on his mind.

Leaving the windmill behind, Kellon makes his way over to the menhir stone circle. While he cannot understand the true purpose of the site, Kellon feels strangely drawn to it. These are the sort of churches that Kellon prefers. Not the grand ceilinged spectacle of a townsfolk's chapel, but a place connected to the earth and open to the sky.

He waves over Father Donavich from his spot by the wagon. Kellon asks the man, "What do you know about these stones, Father? They seem older than anything else that I have seen in this land."

19. - Top - End - #889

BlueKnightGuy

The broad priest pushes himself up to his feet from sitting against the side of the wagon. He walks up the hill with a few huffs to join Kellon at the henge. "Ah," he breathes out, on arrival. "These," He runs a hand over the patterns on one of the stones, "Depict the cities of the gods."

He casts an arm around at each in turn. They proceed in order: one city arrayed amidst fields of flowers, one set against the backdrop of a shining sunburst, one surrounded by a swirl of falling leaves, and one resting amidst piles of snow. Each carved into one of the four largest stones, and arranged to match the cardinal directions - winter to the north, spring to the east, summer to the south, and autumn to the west.

"Many of the old religions of this land have been lost to time... in no small part the efforts of overzealous soldiers marching in the name of the Morninglord. But I know some," the priest at last seems in his element, worldly concerns growing smaller as his mind wraps itself around divine mysteries. How much of the four cities are truth and how much metaphor is hard to say; you never know with gods. "The Morninglord ruled from his city of Summer, and his spouse Mother Night from her city of Winter. The two were cursed, and fated to be apart save for a few days in the year, when the sun and the moon meet in an eclipse."

"The Wolf God in your dream that you spoke of, he is said to be among those that lived in the city of Winter."

20. - Top - End - #890

Kellon listens attentively to the priest's explanation. So, the Wolf God was perhaps an elemental spirit? Or was this more the work of fairyfolk?

"What about spring and fall? Who ruled over them?"

21. - Top - End - #891

BlueKnightGuy

"Their worship was less common in Barovia. Even before our long isolation," the priest admits. He looks between the two and yawns. "The ruler of Spring was... I believe, an angel of the Morninglord. And Autumn, I do not recall."

22. - Top - End - #892

All this talk of gods reminds Kellon of something. "Are there any dwarves that live in these lands? Does the god Moradin have any followers here?"

23. - Top - End - #893

BlueKnightGuy

"Dwarves?" the priest asks, taking his hand from the standing stone and looking back at Kellon.

As they talk, Gweyir wanders over, taking a look at the standing stones herself. Her eyes settle on the center of the circle. "I heard you talking about the shrine," she says, reaching out a hand to point at the eerie pile of children's teeth at the center. "Whatever holiness it once had, I think the hags have desecrated it. I don't remember the name, but I remember a dark archfey to whom the teeth of children were sacrificed. Cults would spread her worship in secret, under the less sinister guise of the 'Tooth Fairy'."

24. - Top - End - #894

It sounds like 'no'. Still, Kellon explains, "Very short and stout folk. Long beards. Usually have good armor and weapons."

Gweyir's analysis proves worrisome. Kellon asks, "Is there any way to undo the desecration?"

25. - Top - End - #895

BlueKnightGuy

"I think I recall seeing those you speak of, among those the devil Strahd lures into Barovia," the priest answers. "But no, no such people have ever lived in Barovia. Not to my knowledge."

"Step one would be to remove the teeth," Gweyir suggests, walking closer to the pile, until she pauses in hesitation. "Then again, that could provoke a response."

26. - Top - End - #896

"That would be the last thing we need right now," Kellon says as he glares at the pile of teeth. "We already have a handful of monsters breathing down our necks. This circle is not going anywhere. Once we settle some of the other business, then maybe we can do something about it."

Turning and heading back down toward the wagon, Kellon continues, "Speaking of trouble, we should keep our eyes open. Just because the hag isn't here doesn't mean that trouble can't find us." As he nears the wagon, Kellon tries to reassure the children. "We'll only be here for a few minutes, little ones. Then we'll be moving again. From what I understand, it's not that much farther to Vallaki."

27. - Top - End - #897

BlueKnightGuy

The children nod quietly, all looking away from the fearsome presence of the mill.

"We may need to found an Order if you plan to root out all the evils of Barovia," Father Donavich suggests, in a tone that says it's not quite a joke.

A creak from up above announces the rusted hinges of one of the cracked windows opening at the bedroom floor. Ireena's red hair flutters in the wind as she peeks out. "Hey Kellon, I have some idea what we deal with now. Come up."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2020-12-14 at 09:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #898

Ismarck's suggestion draws a snort of derision from Kellon. "Any experience I've ever had with Orders involve lots of hand-wringing and bowing and scraping and affectations... I'd rather just do it meself. Least I know it will get done, that way."

Kellon eagerly heads upstairs to hear the news, although his excitement has mostly to do with wanting to be away from this place.

29. - Top - End - #899

BlueKnightGuy

Up top, Ireena has dragged the bed away and taken a seat. The chalk circle around the sigil has burned up into little flecks of grey ash. "Welcome back. So, first thing, the sigil. It is a kind of warding rune. If the contained object, the card, is touched without fulfilling its requirements, there will be a very painful response. From my examination, the sigil requires a touch from one of the hags that created it to safely move the card without setting it off."

"As for the card. If you tune yourself to its song, it will grant you the power of suggestion over others, and make you sly in trickery of words. But it will prevent you from speaking the plain truth, only lies and riddles. Strangely..." she pulls out the Innocent card that Kellon gave her. "I felt a curious resonance with my own card. As if when brought together, the Innocent will reverse the 'alignment' of the Temptress. Instead of speak only lies, speak only truths. Instead of trickery, words carry power."

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Description of the Temptress' abilities added to the Tarokka card list.

30. - Top - End - #900

Kellon rubs the back of one hand in ghost pain, suddenly very grateful not to have tried his luck. "Well, that's all fascinating and whatnot, but I've no desire to poke a shark in the eye. Let's put the bed back and get the Hells out of this place! Vallaki sounds really good right about now... We can always come back later to retrieve it."