View Full Version : The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Porthos
2012-01-27, 01:30 AM
108 hours to raise $183,000 (4.5 days to TRIPLE the initial goal)
last 3 hours saw $33,000 raised.
NCftPB shot the average up to $2538 an hour.

Think you meant to type 13 there, WampaX. :smalltongue:

Which is still pretty darn impressive utterly insane of course. Especially considering that I'm pretty sure there was something like $20k banked by 2 or 3pm PST today. :smalleek:

Approx $300 to go right now.

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-27, 01:46 AM
And that's a ding on the full Paladin Blues reprint. :smallsmile:

CloakedDancer
Five goals in five days... what's next?

Reverent-One
And we're there. Full print run of NCfPBs for everyone!

MurkyMajare
2012-01-27, 01:50 AM
Congratulations on yet another goal and another full reprint

SweetBB
2012-01-27, 01:50 AM
Woo hoo! We broke through! :D Onwards and upwards! DStP here we come.

MoonCat
2012-01-27, 01:51 AM
Meeting this goal was definitely faster than meeting the other one. Odd.

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-27, 01:54 AM
It's been out of print longer than the others, I think.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-27, 02:03 AM
The great part is that, even though I'm only pledging for one book, I get the opportunity to buy the other books later, since they'll be in stock!

Not to mention the going-to-be-awesome bonus comics!

turkishproverb
2012-01-27, 02:08 AM
Another goal reached. I'm waiting for "Giant Dwarf" to be used instead of additional grappling hooks as a rising method.

Porthos
2012-01-27, 02:09 AM
Meeting this goal was definitely faster than meeting the other one. Odd.

It's been out of print longer than the others, I think.

Quite a few people also upgraded to some of the various multi-book packs that were added today (or waited until they were available). The two "Up to the Split" options (signed and non) account for $22K just between the two of them (ignoring international shipping):

$192 * 74 = $14208
$262 * 30 = $7860

$14208 + $7860 = $22068

Now, as I said, I'm sure a good chunk of that was upgrades from earlier packages. Still pretty impressive, I think.

turkishproverb
2012-01-27, 02:09 AM
Huh. You know, I wonder why the game isn't listed among any of the prize options?

homeslice
2012-01-27, 02:21 AM
Achievement Get:No Cure for the Paladin Blues full reprint!

Calsan
2012-01-27, 02:43 AM
Awsome, it goes to show that this fanbase is extremly loyal and quite the magnet fan.

ghastdream
2012-01-27, 02:54 AM
Well that was fast http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Elan.png

Porthos
2012-01-27, 03:12 AM
*checks backer list*
*sees a familiar name*
*sees the account has been around for a while, so it's probably legit*

Keith Baker is a backer of the project. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/backers#p68) :smallcool:

Wonder what he chose to get, if anything... :smallwink:

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-27, 03:18 AM
*checks backer list*
*sees a familiar name*
*sees the account has been around for a while, so it's probably legit*

Keith Baker is a backer of the project. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/backers#p68) :smallcool:

Wonder what he chose to get, if anything... :smallwink:

Oh My God, he's bought one of the story rewards and picked himself from SoD!!!! His ego has no limits!!![/baselesshysyericalspeculation]

turkishproverb
2012-01-27, 03:21 AM
The Keith Baker? Eberron Keith Baker?

Huh.

Fawkes
2012-01-27, 03:26 AM

Huh.

Well, it's A Keith Baker.

Porthos
2012-01-27, 03:35 AM

Well, there's no proof, obviously. I mean it's not exactly an uncommon name. But it's a heck of a coincidence if it isn't. :smallamused:

Well, it's A Keith Baker.

As far as I can remember, Rich and Keith are on fairly friendly terms with each other. So it wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world to me if this was that Keith Baker.

fuelstaind
2012-01-27, 06:18 AM
I wonder if there would be an issue with me taking the PDFs to my local printer and having them print and bind them into a hardcopy version?

That's what I planned on doing as well. I can't imagine there being a problem, since it would be for personal use and not for sale. I also planned on taking the graphs and adding those in as well for the humor.

And who is Keith Baker?

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-27, 06:22 AM
That's what I planned on doing as well. I can't imagine there being a problem, since it would be for personal use and not for sale. I also planned on taking the graphs and adding those in as well for the humor.

And who is Keith Baker?

Game Designer, noted for creating the world of Eberron. In the contest that resulted in Eberron, he and Rich competed against each other (as per the New World articles you see in the Gaming section of the site), but to my knowledge they're on good terms. He cameo'd in a print only comic.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-27, 07:47 AM
According to Project Wonderful's chart thing, the start of this pledge drive seemingly more than doubled site traffic.

keldorn
2012-01-27, 07:50 AM
Huh. You know, I wonder why the game isn't listed among any of the prize options?

I've been wondering whether it will get thrown in or not. It's co-published with APE games and Rich isn't the only author. So it might not factor in so neatly as other items from stock.

The original Dungeon of Dorukan game is still out of print. So maybe it will get a drive sometime.

Hazelnut
2012-01-27, 07:51 AM
Wow, just wow! Next stop is surely a reprint for the last book: Don't Split the Party. Please? I waited on getting this one (lack of money at the time) and so it's the only one I don't have. I need to see a reward with that in it... fingers crossed.

So glad to see that OOTS is so much loved.

Ramshorn
2012-01-27, 08:16 AM
Next stop is surely a reprint for the last book: Don't Split the Party. Please? I waited on getting this one (lack of money at the time) and so it's the only one I don't have. I need to see a reward with that in it...
I've been organising a combo package with the Giant and as a result am about to free up one of the 15 signed copies of DStP.

jmucchiello
2012-01-27, 08:50 AM
Are you planning to put the graphs in a section by themselves or as section markers between the four stories. The busting of the Julio Scoundrel bonus would probably make a nice intro page for the Julio bonus story, for example.

You should also probably wait until scans of the crayon drawing are (or are not) made available by the prize winners, some of whom indicated they would make them available.

Douglas
2012-01-27, 09:05 AM
I've been organising a combo package with the Giant and as a result am about to free up one of the 15 signed copies of DStP.
I'm curious about how long it will take for someone to grab it after you upgrade.

Ramshorn
2012-01-27, 09:22 AM
I'm curious about how long it will take for someone to grab it after you upgrade.

It went in under 10 minutes!

Gullintanni
2012-01-27, 10:04 AM
$190K...Impressive. Rich needs to update again :smallamused:

turkishproverb
2012-01-27, 10:05 AM
Crap We maxed out the graph. :smallconfused:

ella ventic
2012-01-27, 10:16 AM
Crap We maxed out the graph. :smallconfused:

I believe that's pronounced "We're off the chart!" :smallsmile:

turkishproverb
2012-01-27, 10:22 AM
I like the way you think ella. :smallbiggrin:

Weimann
2012-01-27, 10:26 AM
I'm contemplating upgrading my $68(+10) pledge to a $192(+37) pledge for the Up to the Split box. The problem is, I already own On the Origin of PCs and Start of Darkness.

I guess I will hold out and see how it develops.

Tanuki Tales
2012-01-27, 11:13 AM
I still can't wait to see what "Non-book" reward Rich is planning to add or what the potential Mystery Prize 2 will be. :smallbiggrin:

Edit:

And can we stop clogging the thread with copyright bru-haha? It's casting a negative tone on things and it really should be something asked Rich directly and not debated here.

WampaX
2012-01-27, 11:57 AM
I believe that's pronounced "We're off the chart!" :smallsmile:

Here there be dragons.
From the old nautical charts.

120 hours to raise $191,000
last 12 hours saw $8,000 raised
which sees our average cool off to $666.67 from the NCftPB explosion.
a significant drop of 73.73% from the lofty high but also a 33.33% dropoff from the pre-NCftPB average.

We'll see what the afternoon brings in terms of a more sane representation of data without a NCftPB update.

k_bukie
2012-01-27, 12:00 PM
There are two variables I'm interested in, though:

1) Where will the threshold line be for DStP?
2) Will there be non-book rewards to boost the pledge numbers well into the DStP realm, or will Rich hold off on those rewards until it really slows down?

DreadPirateDB
2012-01-27, 12:25 PM
(Referencing Keith Baker being on the supporter list)

Oh My God, he's bought one of the story rewards and picked himself from SoD!!!! His ego has no limits!!![/baselesshysyericalspeculation]

Now that would be hysterical if true.

luc258
2012-01-27, 12:32 PM
The thread is a bit long to read completely, but i have a question:
Is there a way to buy the pdf prequel without anything else?

Porthos
2012-01-27, 12:35 PM
(Referencing Keith Baker being on the supporter list)

Now that would be hysterical if true.

Timeframe isn't right, unfortunately, as he (if it is the same Keith Baker) became a backer late last night. Which is looooong after the $1250 pledges were snapped up.

Would have been funny though. :smallamused:

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-27, 12:36 PM

Pledge $10 then when you get the questionnaire asking for delivery details etc. there'll be an option to add comments, where you decline getting sent your magnet in favour of just getting the PDFs.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-01-27, 12:36 PM

If you mean "without a magnet", no, Giant addressed that a few pages back and said it is too late to change the kickstart pledges to not include a magnet. He did suggest that when the time comes to give him an address to mail it to, you can put something like "no magnet please" in the address and save him a few dollars on it. But you still need to pledge $10 (note you are pledging, technically not buying) for the pdfs (also note that you're getting the prequel and 4 other stories, at this time).

Hope that helps answer your question; if I have misunderstood you, do let me know.

Grey Wolf

Porthos
2012-01-27, 12:41 PM

Make a $10 pledge and you get the PDF prequel (+ the other PDF stories that got added as bonuses). If you don't want the fridge magnet, when the drive is over and you get a form asking for your address write in the address field "No fridge magnet for me, thanks". Or just give to a friend. :smalltongue:

Mind, you can pledge whatever you want (as long as it is above $10) to get the PDF. Just make sure to select:

PLEDGE $10 OR MORE
XXXX BACKERS
A Roy Greenhilt fridge magnet, exclusive to this pledge drive, shipped anywhere in the world. Plus a digital PDF of the original OOTS story, "How the Paladin Got His Scar," when it is completed. (Note: All of the rewards below this include the digital download as well.)
Estimated Delivery: Apr 2012

And you're all good. :smallsmile:

WampaX
2012-01-27, 12:43 PM

A much better story would have him choosing the Rich Baker, the horrible amalgamation that was born in the early days of the Playground that required all 10s of us (at the time) to slay . . . mainly by reading the FAQ and getting Rich's last name correct.

But some say the Rich Baker lurks in the shadows of the site, biding its time, waiting for the perfect moment to erupt back into this world and slay its parental counterparts, taking the names of both and forging the most powerful gaming empire this or any other age has ever seen!

The early mods dealt harshly with those that proffered such preposterous prophecy. We routed the cult enclaves that clung to the name, but in the process I lost my eye and several of the initial mods fell to the foul powers wielded by the agents of the beast.

The times of prosperity that followed saw the rise of new mods to take the call and maintain the peace. Many years have past since those days of war and bloodshed . . . they occasionally still haunt my dreams. But as long as the tale of the Rich Baker is passed from generation to generation and the playground knows to be wary and watchful, the foretold reckoning can be delayed. As long as the last poster on the last day of the playgrounds existence does not forget, the Rich Baker can never win.

Tanuki Tales
2012-01-27, 12:46 PM
A much better story would have him choosing the Rich Baker, the horrible amalgamation that was born in the early days of the Playground that required all 10s of us (at the time) to slay . . . mainly by reading the FAQ and getting Rich's last name correct.

But some say the Rich Baker lurks in the shadows of the site, biding its time, waiting for the perfect moment to erupt back into this world and slay its parental counterparts, taking the names of both and forging the most powerful gaming empire this or any other age has ever seen!

The early mods dealt harshly with those that proffered such preposterous prophecy. We routed the cult enclaves that clung to the name, but in the process I lost my eye and several of the initial mods fell to the foul powers wielded by the agents of the beast.

The times of prosperity that followed saw the rise of new mods to take the call and maintain the peace. Many years have past since those days of war and bloodshed . . . they occasionally still haunt my dreams. But as long as the tale of the Rich Baker is passed from generation to generation and the playground knows to be wary and watchful, the foretold reckoning can be delayed. As long as the last poster on the last day of the playgrounds existence does not forget, the Rich Baker can never win.

Epic. :smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2012-01-27, 12:53 PM

Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
The falcon cannot hear the falconer.....

Norin Warstone
2012-01-27, 01:57 PM
So, I didn't start keeping track right away, but here are several values of $/backer from the last three days. All times are EST. It's pretty impressive (but not that surprising) how much the $/backer increases as more rewards are added.

http://s14.postimage.org/3v5vdss01/backers.jpg

luc258
2012-01-27, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the answers. Impressive numbers on this site, it looks like this will be successful for the Giant.

JustADecoy
2012-01-27, 03:25 PM
So, I didn't start keeping track right away, but here are several values of $/backer from the last three days.

Well, you've forced my hand. If you're going to start quoting interesting statistics, I have to register and share what I have. Using the minimum dollar value of each pledge tier, I was able to create this breakdown:

% of Dollars Raised - Group
10.33% - Magnets and PDF(s) Only
20.08% - One Book
21.79% - Two Books
19.62% - Three Books
13.96% - Up To The Split
14.23% - Custom Artwork

(This comes out to 100.01% due to rounding. Percentages are based not on the pledge drive total, but from the sum of (# Backers * Tier Values). This leaves ~$22,000 unaccounted for -- 11.5% of the total. These numbers were calculated 15-20 minutes ago.)

Other interesting metrics:

13.33% - Autographed Books
45.21% - Pledges Include War & XPs
11.47% - No Books Other Than War & XPs
27.31% - From Pledge Tiers Added Thursday (1/26)

I'm fascinated by this last one. Clearly, participation in the last 24 hours has been massive, with one out of every four dollars (re)allocated recently. Personally, I'd love to play around with The Giant's Kickstarter dashboard for even more detailed metrics.

Roland St. Jude
2012-01-27, 03:29 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Just a note that about a dozen posts on copyright law have been removed from the thread. Please don't ask for or give legal advice in this Forum. If someone asks the legality of a course of action, answering them is legal advice, even if you preface it with "this isn't legal advice."

Now, back to the merry-making!

WampaX
2012-01-27, 03:45 PM
Epic. :smallbiggrin:

Beware! Beware!
The children of the 'ground
For there walks among you
A beast t'was bound.
It slinks and slides
Between the posts,
Hiding in plain sight,
Avoiding all who roast
each other with words most profound
Beware! Beware!
All children of the 'ground.

The introductory verse from the Epic poem chronicling the rise, fall, imprisonment, and aftermath of The Dawn of the Playground: War of the Rich Baker.

Gullintanni
2012-01-27, 03:47 PM
Beware! Beware!
The children of the 'ground
For there walks among you
A beast t'was bound.
It slinks and slides
Between the posts,
Hiding in plain sight,
Avoiding all who roast
each other with words most profound
Beware! Beware!
All children of the 'ground.

The introductory verse from the Epic poem chronicling the rise, fall, imprisonment, and aftermath of The Dawn of the Playground: War of the Rich Baker.

Rich, please take note. If there's another mystery prize in the pledge drive, this is the story I want to read. :smalltongue:

DougTheHead
2012-01-27, 03:56 PM
Wow! It's at $193,000 exactly!

It's cool to see a nice round number on the screen.

Tundar
2012-01-27, 04:23 PM
YAY, War and XP is one of two books I'm missing.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-27, 04:33 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Just a note that about a dozen posts on copyright law have been removed from the thread. Please don't ask for or give legal advice in this Forum. If someone asks the legality of a course of action, answering them is legal advice, even if you preface it with "this isn't legal advice."

Now, back to the merry-making!

Did...did my badfic go away? :smallfrown:

fishboy
2012-01-27, 04:57 PM
Did...did my badfic go away? :smallfrown:

That must have been a direct answer to my prayers Flame, that was horrifying :smallyuk:
Made me LOL though :smallwink:

Manga Maniac
2012-01-27, 05:35 PM
As the pledge goes on, my paranoia increases. According to Google, $93 is about £60.

Is that number right?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-01-27, 05:37 PM
As the pledge goes on, my paranoia increases. According to Google, $93 is about £60.

Is that number right?

As of right now, it is approximately (http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=93&From=USD&To=GBP) that, yes (I'm getting 59.1243 GBP as of 2012-01-27 22:36 UTC)

Grey Wolf

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-27, 05:37 PM

Is that number right?

So it would seem. Why so paranoid? About what?

Manga Maniac
2012-01-27, 05:39 PM
@above: $93 is my current pledge ($83 + $10 shipping). Want to make sure I can, y'know, actually pay for it.

Not helping it is that I think my debit card people take a bit of money for every purchase I make.

Elder Tsofu
2012-01-27, 05:56 PM
A free print for big pledgers, I like. :smallbiggrin:
I wonder if I dare to ask for a possible signing of it. It ould almost look like I robbed Rich and stuffed his things in my house. The police will just say "well, its got his signature on it all - can't be much clearer than that".

headhoncho
LOVE the latest update! I have loved that poster forever, and the notion of having it in a smaller size with nice backing is just perfect. :smallsmile:

Savil
Update #6, new rewards, and I really really love those charts! :)

ella ventic
Posters and ornaments! Go go go! :smallbiggrin:

Manga Maniac
2012-01-27, 06:00 PM
Alright, I've made a second pledge with a second account (am I allowed to do that?; if not, I'll gladly let go of my order).

So, I should be getting a signed poster. And (hopefully), a chance at snagging another autographed book.

Sadly, looks like that'll be the end for me in this pledge, I can't really give more than $200.

Elder Tsofu
2012-01-27, 06:02 PM
It's a bit strange that I've been surfing around idly and stuff, checking maybe every half hour to hour but still managed to load the site within a minute of the posting of updates. It's happened three times now (first and last 2). :smalleek:

Alright, I've made a second pledge with a second account (am I allowed to do that?; if not, I'll gladly let go of my order).

So, I should be getting a signed poster. And (hopefully), a chance at snagging another autographed book.

Sadly, looks like that'll be the end for me in this pledge, I can't really give more than $200.

Might be breaking some rule of kickstarter, what do I know?
Morally? up to you really.
(as long as duplicate accounts don't hog all the limited rewards I'd personally be fine with it)

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-27, 06:03 PM
I want the poster, but I'd never put it up. I don't even want the poster, but I want to have it, even though I don't want it.

This pledge drive is doing weird stuff to my brain.

Tanuki Tales
2012-01-27, 06:04 PM
Must...fight...urge to pledge 500 dollars for signed ornaments and signed copies of the books!

Gah!

Manga Maniac
2012-01-27, 06:05 PM
I'm a bit shocked I managed to snag a signed poster now.

There were only about 5 left when I clicked to do the pledge and I was sure I wasn't going to make it.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-01-27, 06:05 PM
@above: $93 is my current pledge ($83 + $10 shipping). Want to make sure I can, y'know, actually pay for it.

Not helping it is that I think my debit card people take a bit of money for every purchase I make.

According to the Kickstart FAQ, they will take a 5% cut, and amazon another 3-5%, so there's that. And IIRC, the UK cards did take a bite as well, so you may be right.

In another order of business, after a quick consultation with my SO, I've upped my pledge enough to get a signed poster. Given I already had all the books, I couldn't justify to myself buying them again just for the autograph, but this is a great compromise (there goes my "entertainment" budget for the month, though)

Grey Wolf

Avaris
2012-01-27, 06:06 PM
Rich, thank you.

Seriously, you could have rested on your laurels after we destroyed the first target, or limited the new rewards to just new books, but twice now you have added new stuff that makes me think my pledge was even more worth it. I knew I was going to get the fridge magnet and the pdfs on top of the actual reward, and then you added the Julio Scoundrel story. I was happy with this. And now you put a poster in as well for the high pledgers? You spoil us! :smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2012-01-27, 06:06 PM
Those signed prints sold out fast. :smalleek: Fastest sellout of any limited offer, I think.

And there are a new set of goals, everyone:

$222,000 Mystery Prize #2
$255,000 DStP added to Pledge Points
$264,570 DStP minimum print run
$283,120 DStP full print run
$300,000 Mystery Prize #3

It had been going at around $500 - $600 per hour before the last update (which is still hecka awesome, BTW. Just not OMGWT*BBQ awesome). With the added boost of the new poster (seriously that thing is gonna do gangbusters) and ornaments, we should see a good uptick until 9pm tonight. Then it's just a case of how close it is to $222k to see how long it takes to get there.

ETA: Oh yes. Those ornaments and posters are causing the blessed thing to explode again.

Pretty sure there's been something like $6,000 to $7,000 pledged since it went up (it was at around 193.6k at 2pm PST and right now at 3:15pm PST it's at 200.4 k :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:).

Squark
2012-01-27, 06:09 PM
:elan: I'm participating!

Sorry if that reference has been done before.

But I have to say, I was worried I'd missed the print run on Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails, so I'm glad I was able to get a copy here, and support the goal of getting all the books in print at once.

Manga Maniac
2012-01-27, 06:11 PM
According to the Kickstart FAQ, they will take a 5% cut, and amazon another 3-5%, so there's that. And IIRC, the UK cards did take a bite as well, so you may be right.

When they say they take a cut, do they mean they increase the price I pay, or are taking a small cut of the money Rich receives?

The Black Cat
2012-01-27, 06:12 PM
Wowwwwww.

(Just multiplied my pledge by 2.5)

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-27, 06:13 PM
Alright, subliminal suggestion time. Rich doesn't know what Mystery Prize 3 is yet, so we have a chance nudge him in the right direction. So, with that in mind:

TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY!!!!!

Porthos
When they say they take a cut, do they mean they increase the price I pay, or are taking a small cut of the money Rich receives?

Out of the cut that Rich receives.

Forbiddenwar
In another order of business, after a quick consultation with my SO, I've upped my pledge enough to get a signed poster.

You had TIME to speak to your SO? I just clicked as quickly as I could and still barely got one.
I just have to hope forgiveness is easier than permission (JK, my SO understands.)

I see that the signed poster reward makes no mention of the pdf. I hope that was an oversight. I didn't read carefully. IT DOES! Thank-you everyone pointing it out.

TSUKIKO STORY

Right there with you, especially considering the latest comic.

MoonCat
And we've hit 200k!

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-01-27, 06:15 PM

After carefully checking the conditions in the amazon section of the pledge, I am confident that they will charge you the amount you pledged and no more, and Rich will get 9% or so less than you pledged.

Sorry if I scared you.

Grey Wolf

Elder Tsofu
2012-01-27, 06:15 PM
You had TIME to speak to your SO? I just clicked as quickly as I could and still barely got one.
I just have to hope forgiveness is easier than permission (JK, my SO understands.)

I see that the signed poster makes no mention of the pdf. I hope that was an oversight.

Probably not, it is mentioned in the first pledge award.

SweetBB
2012-01-27, 06:16 PM
Got it! :smallbiggrin:

Kind of scary letting go of what you have in the attempt to snag something better. And if he adds another crayon drawing reward, I'm going to have to do it all over again! :smalleek:

I could end up with nothing.:eek:

Squark
2012-01-27, 06:19 PM
Alright, subliminal suggestion time. Rich doesn't know what Mystery Prize 3 is yet, so we have a chance nudge him in the right direction. So, with that in mind:

TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY TSUKIKO STORY!!!!!

How do you know we won't get one already? There are three mystery stories she could feature in, after all.

My only worry here is that cranking out what, by my estimate, amounts to about 70 pages of content for the pdf is going to be a bit taxing on Rich.

EDIT: Wooh! Just a little over $99,000 to go! Which begs the question... What on earth will Rich do if we go over that?

EDIT2: ... It just went up $600+ dollars in a matter of minutes. I have to say, it's a testament to Rich's ability to write that we're going nuts like this.

Forbiddenwar
2012-01-27, 06:23 PM
My only worry here is that cranking out what, by my estimate, amounts to about 70 pages of content for the pdf is going to be a bit taxing on Rich.

At this rate, he might as well just add another $100k to the chart, add another 20 or so pages and print the pdf (and only supporters will get to see it first as a digital copy)

Tanuki Tales
2012-01-27, 06:25 PM
Thank you everyone who grabbed the ornaments! You saved my wallet and bank account from desolation. >.<

0Megabyte
2012-01-27, 06:28 PM
Quick question: does the $62 "pick two" reward include SSaDT as a choice? If so, I will definitely go up from the SSaDT reward alone to that one. If not, I am not sure what to increase to, as that and NCftPB are the only ones I'm missing, and I don't want to give up the SSaDT I am getting. They will ne out of stock after this!

YohanLeafheart
2012-01-27, 06:29 PM
And I found someone that will get for me on the us and bring for me, so I will be able to add more things to my pledge!

Yeah!!!!!

YohanLeafheart
2012-01-27, 06:31 PM
Thank you everyone who grabbed the ornaments! You saved my wallet and bank account from desolation. >.<

You are not the only one mate. I was going back and forth with my fianceč, trying to see how much I could drain from the wedding fund to put on the drive, trying to convince her that the signed ornaments would be a great thing. Glad they were gone before I could jump in.

Elder Tsofu
2012-01-27, 06:33 PM
Quick question: does the $62 "pick two" reward include SSaDT as a choice? If so, I will definitely go up from the SSaDT reward alone to that one. If not, I am not sure what to increase to, as that and NCftPB are the only ones I'm missing, and I don't want to give up the SSaDT I am getting. They will ne out of stock after this!

It isn't listed and don't really fit the general descriptions listed so I'd not count on it. Perhaps send a mail to Rich and ask nicely will do the trick?
For the record I'm also slightly worried about my SSaDT, I should have gotten it in the summer - but I was poor in the summer! -.-

k_bukie
2012-01-27, 06:33 PM
So, it would appear those folks who already had the books were anxious to jump at rewards that weren't books.

Because they sold out in about 10 minutes.

Binks
2012-01-27, 06:34 PM
Anyone got an estimate how much a full 'Up to the Split' package with DSTP would be (not autographed, just the books)? Figure I may as well bump my pledge up to that point to help work towards getting there since I plan to go for it anyways, entertainment budget for the next few months or not :P.

turkishproverb
2012-01-27, 06:34 PM

That'S not sUbliminal so much as KInd of superliminal. Kindly try tO underSTand what One is oveR another, You.

:smallwink:

Elder Tsofu
2012-01-27, 06:36 PM
So, it would appear those folks who already had the books were anxious to jump at rewards that weren't books.

Because they sold out in about 10 minutes.

Choosing between gold and diamonds is a rough job. :smallfrown:

Porthos
2012-01-27, 06:37 PM

Email Rich through Kickstarter and see if you can make some sort of deal. Otherwise, if I were you I'd create a second Kickstarter and just grab NCftPN seperately.

Alterntaively, just wait until NCftPB is in print and deal with it then.

k_bukie
2012-01-27, 06:37 PM
Anyone got an estimate how much a full 'Up to the Split' package with DSTP would be (not autographed, just the books)? Figure I may as well bump my pledge up to that point to help work towards getting there since I plan to go for it anyways, entertainment budget for the next few months or not :P.

The book retails for $30, so I'd estimate $225-$230 total for all of them.

Porthos
2012-01-27, 06:44 PM
Interestingly it appears that the vast majority of the amount raised just now was from people upping their pledge amount.

The total has gone up $9,000 in the last 90 minutes or so, while there are "only" 24 new backers in that time.

Then again, those $240 pledges added up fast, so that's undoubtedly part of it.

Mark my words though. That $25 pledge point for the poster is gonna be hecka popular. Still close enough to $10 not to feel like it's that painful, but something that I reckon a lot of people don't have and will say, "Gimme".

k_bukie
2012-01-27, 06:44 PM
The average pledge is now over $57. :smile:

Andious
2012-01-27, 06:48 PM
I'm still worried he's actually going to offer the choose-one-background-character single-page-comic idea I suggested when I least expect it and it'll be too late to up my pledge to get it (even worse if that happened on the 31st).

Though I'm more worried I sound like this:

"Aww, I wanted to get a short comic about a specific background character."
"You're already getting five really long comics for less than a tank of gas!"
"Yeah, well, I want that one..."

(Seriously though, if I had to choose between the five long comics and a custom single-page comic, I'd choose the five long comics without a second thought. Plus the small poster is nice, gettin' that too.)

Manga Maniac
2012-01-27, 06:57 PM
I need to find away of raising £30 for a copy of No Cure to come with my poster...

Now, do I really need my great aunt?

Castamir
2012-01-27, 07:10 PM
What about a pledge for all available NON-print-only books?

Most folks here ordered the prequels/SSDT the very day they were announced, with little incentive to get the rest. And for those of us in a podunk country even John Kerry forgot, ordering online is the only way since book stores don't carry things like OOTS.

Kalmegil
2012-01-27, 07:16 PM
OK, once DStP is added, I'll be ordering a complete set of books, unsigned for my brother. But I don't want to up my pledge until then. I hope there's not too many people waiting like I am.

truemane
2012-01-27, 07:24 PM
Out of pure, pure luck I checked my email about seven minutes after he added the Up to the Split Signed incentive. Grabbed it. Can't afford it. Couldn't care less. Now I'm checking it obsessively so I can get DStP signed when it becomes available.

Gotta go check my email again.

:P

EDIT: Now, what sort of system is in place to guard against people pledging money they know they can't come up with? I wonder how much of the $200k currently pledged isn't going to come through? I mean, sure, whoever welches doesn't get the reward, but could there be enough of that, do you think, do jeopardize the project?

Exediron
2012-01-27, 07:35 PM
I hope the average pledge doesn't get too much higher, or I'll have to raise my $67 pledge to keep from feeling stingy :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-27, 07:44 PM

Until we hit 255k DStP is still limited stock, so it can't be added to any new rewards. Once it can be I'm sure we'll se an "All Compilation Books" pledge alongside the "ALL DA BOOKS!!" one.

EDIT: Now, what sort of system is in place to guard against people pledging money they know they can't come up with? I wonder how much of the $200k currently pledged isn't going to come through? I mean, sure, whoever welches doesn't get the reward, but could there be enough of that, do you think, do jeopardize the project?

I've been a bit concerned about this too. As long as it doesn't drop below 166,900 none of the current pledges will be affected, but in theory yeah everyone could be bull****ting and we end up getting nothing.

Menarker
2012-01-27, 07:53 PM

Most folks here ordered the prequels/SSDT the very day they were announced, with little incentive to get the rest. And for those of us in a podunk country even John Kerry forgot, ordering online is the only way since book stores don't carry things like OOTS.

I'm in the same situation. Due to the exclusive nature of the print only books like Start of Darkness, Origin of the PCs and Snip,Snails,DragonTails I have already collected all of those ones as soon as I heard about them.
However, all the other books that can already be found online, (Dungeon Crawlers, Paladin Blues, Wars and Exp and Don't Split the Party) I haven't bought since I was strapped for cash and I didn't see the need to spend money only to get what I figured amounted to a few pages worth of bonus strips.

So basically, something like a Mix'n'Match box for those four books would be right up my alley.

Kancsar
2012-01-27, 07:59 PM
Looks like amazon is putting holds on credit cards until the pledge drive ends (feb21) so hopefully people can't make impossible pledges, though perhaps you can manage your pledge to reduce the pledge amount before the end (theoretically.can't confirm this as I've only increased my pledge since this started).

Hamiltonz
2012-01-27, 08:00 PM
Just pledged at $79, that will give my wife and I two of the three books that we are missing.

We're hoping for 255k so Don't Split The Party will be added, then our collection will be complete!

Flame of Anor
2012-01-27, 08:14 PM

Here's an alternative suggestion: NO TSUKIKO STORY. She was infuriating enough in-comic. Not that she was a badly-done character (far from it!), but I hate her in a way that Xykon doesn't come close to, much less Redcloak.

How about a story of Sir Francois and his squire Elan?

CDP
2012-01-27, 08:18 PM
Here's an alternative suggestion: NO TSUKIKO STORY. She was infuriating enough in-comic. Not that she was a badly-done character (far from it!), but I hate her in a way that Xykon doesn't come close to, much less Redcloak.

How about a story of Sir Francois and his squire Elan?

I'd like to see a Stick Tales done by Redcloak myself.

A goblin-ified fairy tale if you will.

Anarion
2012-01-27, 08:21 PM
Looks like amazon is putting holds on credit cards until the pledge drive ends (feb21) so hopefully people can't make impossible pledges, though perhaps you can manage your pledge to reduce the pledge amount before the end (theoretically.can't confirm this as I've only increased my pledge since this started).

The credit card has to be good when you put the bid in and you can't max it out later. If people can't pay their credit cards later, that affects them and their card company, not Rich (although I highly recommend against getting into a fight with your credit card company. They're like one step removed from sending someone to break your legs).

I suppose there's no way to prevent a bunch of people lowering their bids one day before the pledge ends, but given how interested people have been in the rewards and the amount of collective effort required for enough people to really affect the total by all lowering their bids, I suggest that it's not something to worry about too much.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-27, 08:21 PM
I'd like to see a Stick Tales done by Redcloak myself.

A goblin-ified fairy tale if you will.

On a slightly related note, did you know that the name "kobold" comes from a mythical type of gremlin said to haunt cobalt mines? The similar names are not a coincidence.

CDP
2012-01-27, 08:28 PM
On a slightly related note, did you know that the name "kobold" comes from a mythical type of gremlin said to haunt cobalt mines? The similar names are not a coincidence.

I didn't know that.

I did come across the term 'kobold' in my mythology class in reference to a way to 'create' a god.

The process involved was not for the faint of heart.

It involved raising a child in complete darkness for several years, ritually sacrificing them, and worshiping the remains.

Yendor
2012-01-27, 08:33 PM

Other way around, actually. The metal was named after the gremlins, who were believed to have put it into their ores.

Manga Maniac
2012-01-27, 08:35 PM
@Anarion: I'm not using a credit card, though. 'Tis a "Virgin prepaid card"; my money's either on there or not when I pay for something. If it's not, the charge simply doesn't go through, to my knowledge.

I imagine it would be the same for debit card users.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-27, 08:48 PM
Other way around, actually. The metal was named after the gremlins, who were believed to have put it into their ores.

Note that I just said they were related--I wasn't sure which one came first. Thanks for clearing it up, though! :smallwink:

shifttee
2012-01-27, 08:51 PM
I was looking to pledge the $67 print only one, but could someone please tell me what "print only" means?

NerfTW
2012-01-27, 08:54 PM
Exactly what it says in the description. The books that are not available online: Start of Darkness, Origin of PCs, and Snips Snails and Dragon Tails.

So that would leave out the 4 compilation books: Dungeon Crawling Fools, No Cure for the Paladin Blues, War and XPs, and Don't Split the Party.

blackjack217
2012-01-27, 08:55 PM

Maybe an inspired critique of her ethnocentrism?

Manga Maniac
2012-01-27, 08:55 PM
Print-only; the books that were only available in print, i.e. Start of Darkness, On the Origins of PCs and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales without any of the other ones which are compilations of the webcomic strips.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Advance Strat..
2012-01-27, 08:56 PM
I was looking to pledge the $67 print only one, but could someone please tell me what "print only" means?

As in the comics that were never available online. Start of Darkness, Dragon Tales, and Origin have never had their content put online. Print only.

jscheibel
2012-01-27, 09:00 PM
This probably has been asked in 29 pages of posts but maybe someone who caught it can share. I know it's a reprint drive. but I as I dont need any of the books I already have... any chance of a preorder being thrown in for the next book at the 25-35 dollar level?

LightsOnNo1Home
2012-01-27, 09:04 PM
Dammit, would've loved the signed 8x10 print.

Anything with "signed" in it seems to sell out as fast as Rich can put it up. Gutted.

Ah, well, the unsigned one will look just as nice on my wall :smallsmile:

Squark
2012-01-27, 09:13 PM
You know, to make more money, Haley could probably start taking bets on WHEN we will reach certain goals. So, how long to raise the next $15000 for mystery reward 2?

NerfTW
2012-01-27, 09:31 PM
This probably has been asked in 29 pages of posts but maybe someone who caught it can share. I know it's a reprint drive. but I as I dont need any of the books I already have... any chance of a preorder being thrown in for the next book at the 25-35 dollar level?

That raises a few issues. You'd be donating money in February for a book that might not come out until 2013, if at all. (god forbid, but you have to be realistic. Sometimes authors don't finish works) Even if he finishes the book online soon, printing might not happen for months after. Notice that he didn't add books to the rewards until they were guaranteed to be reprinted. (or were in stock) That way, you're not making a donation for a reward you might not get.

Porthos
2012-01-27, 09:45 PM
That raises a few issues. You'd be donating money in February for a book that might not come out until 2013, if at all. (god forbid, but you have to be realistic. Sometimes authors don't finish works) Even if he finishes the book online soon, printing might not happen for months after. Notice that he didn't add books to the rewards until they were guaranteed to be reprinted. (or were in stock) That way, you're not making a donation for a reward you might not get.

And considering what happened the last time we had a pre-order, I'm not sure Rich is entirely keen on repeating the experience. :smallwink:

ETA: Though I suppose, in a way this is a pre-order. But there's a bit of a difference between pre-ordering some that is going to be sent to the printers in a reasonably close time frame and something that might not happen for months and months down the road (consdiering we have no idea when Book 5 will be finished, never mind the bonus content of said Book 5).

keldorn
2012-01-27, 09:58 PM

The extra bonus prize at 300K will provide Rich with some insurance against this if we get there. Also, if someone misses a signed award or one of the real specials, then there will be about 4000 people who won't mind being spammed by a message saying one of these has become available. Then there will be conservative assumptions that a lot of orders will require overseas postage. Finally, remember that once Rich knows he is reprinting books, he can announce them to the games retailers and they can be putting in orders. He should be getting some money from the better payers and from people ordering the reprinted stuff from ookookdook before he has to pay for the postage on the signed packages especially if he pays for that with a credit card.

So I think there is sufficient buffer to absorb all scenarios that are less likely than multiple earthquakes affecting his custom base or nuclear war in which case there are bigger things to worry about.

jmucchiello
2012-01-27, 10:20 PM
(consdiering we have no idea when Book 5 will be finished, never mind the bonus content of said Book 5).
Well, book 5 isn't that far out in terms of the other books. DStP was 180ish strips. There are 150ish strips ready for book 5. Of course, there has to be a story stopping point too. But that could be as simple as Xykon leaving Azure City. Although I suspect some kind of resolution with Elan/Nate/Dad and/or Haley/Her Dad will end book 5.

Of course finishing the 3 commission stories, O'Chul and Julio will take some time out of getting the "extras" for book 5 done. So 2013 is slightly conservative I think. But before mid-Fall 2012 is unlikely.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-27, 10:46 PM
And considering what happened the last time we had a pre-order, I'm not sure Rich is entirely keen on repeating the experience. :smallwink:

You mean when everyone was complaining about the delay on SS&DT? Yeah...I can see how that might have put him off. Be polite, Playgrounders!

NerfTW
2012-01-27, 11:47 PM
The problem is that the money comes out of your account at the end of the February. At which point these things would be shipping. You'd be paying in February for something that won't come out until the end of the year at the earliest, 2013 likely. That's quite a bit different than just a few month delay.

WeLoveFireballs
2012-01-28, 02:19 AM
FANS SMASH PUNY GOALS!!!!

:thog: thog helped!

Also, If you have problems with printing this time you will actually have the money to do the super fast emergency printing you were mentioning you couldn't do with SSaDT. Just saying.

factotum
2012-01-28, 03:15 AM
Less than $7k to go to Mystery Prize #2!

WeLoveFireballs, I would assume that any sort of super-fast emergency printing would cost more and Rich would either have to drop one of the print runs or else increase the reward levels he's already set--I doubt anybody would be very happy with either option.

honigmuffin
2012-01-28, 10:11 AM

For me, Tsukiko is the Umbridge of OotS. She's an even nastier piece of work than the Big Bad, but the character is also very interesting and extremely well written. I can't stand her, but I like the character, if that makes any sense :smalltongue:

Also, I'll have to wait a few more days before I can pledge. Argh. But I already know that I'll be getting the art print =D
Huh, do you think SSaDT is an option for the $25+$30 (+$10 for shipping) pledge? It doesn't say it's not, but I guess I'll message the Giant about that shortly before I pledge. :smallconfused:

Joerg
2012-01-28, 11:12 AM
Huh, do you think SSaDT is an option for the $25+$30 (+$10 for shipping) pledge? It doesn't say it's not, but I guess I'll message the Giant about that shortly before I pledge. :smallconfused:

I'm a bit confused about SSaDT. If you only want that book, it is a limited reward, and also in combination with W&XP. But other options, e.g. the 'print only special', also contain it and aren't limited. So, probably best to ask.

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-28, 11:13 AM
Less than $1500 until the second surprise. I wonder if it will spawn another surge in donations, because $300k looks a tall order at this point.

hanglekuk
2012-01-28, 11:17 AM
I'd say not likely, unless some new pledges are announced.

Tanuki Tales
2012-01-28, 11:24 AM
For me, Tsukiko is the Umbridge of OotS.

I'd really disagree with that assessment. I don't think Tsukiko has the level of undeserved impertinent arrogance that Umbridge had.

The kind of hate and rancor I felt for that woman is the level of hate I hold for Twilight and that is a deep, heart felt thing.

To each their own I suppose, but I support seeing a backstory for Tsukiko as one of the Mystery prizes or as one of the 1,250 pledge rewards. :smalltongue:

honigmuffin
2012-01-28, 11:38 AM
I'd really disagree with that assessment. I don't think Tsukiko has the level of undeserved impertinent arrogance that Umbridge had.

The kind of hate and rancor I felt for that woman is the level of hate I hold for Twilight and that is a deep, heart felt thing.

To each their own I suppose, but I support seeing a backstory for Tsukiko as one of the Mystery prizes or as one of the 1,250 pledge rewards. :smalltongue:

What I meant is that I think there are a boatloads of people who hate Umbridge more than Voldemort, and I kind of feel the same way about Tsukiko. I'd rather meet Xykon than her, she's just so crazy and dislikable – but I love to hate her because she's so well written!
That said, I'd love to know her backstory, how she became the person we see in the comic strip, what landed her in prison, etc. :smallsmile:

(And from what I gather from your comment, our literary tastes overlap :smallwink:)

Manga Maniac
2012-01-28, 11:48 AM
I think Umbridge and Voldemort might actually be a good comparision here, or as good as any other:
Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter series is probably just as evil as Umbridge, if not more so. In real life, you'd also be better off meeting Umbridge; because she's not an epic level sorcerer (or super powerful wizard, in this case) and is unlikely to kill you with a single spell. But Umbridge is just ever so more smug about it, and thus is less liked than Voldemort.

But, we're getting off-topic.

Weimann
2012-01-28, 11:48 AM
$1018 left until Mystery Prize #2!

Less than $1500 until the second surprise. I wonder if it will spawn another surge in donations, because $300k looks a tall order at this point.The curve will surely deflate soon, but given that we have 24 days left, it's certainly not an impossibility to get there eventually.

honigmuffin
2012-01-28, 11:58 AM
The Giant said that "the lowest pledges will be able to increase slightly to get it, too" in regards to Mystery Prize #2. How many people do you reckon will increase their $10 pledge? This could give us quite a boost towards the next goal, depending on where Mystery Prize #2 falls on the rewards scale…

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-28, 12:05 PM
I assume the it works is "Anyone pledging over $X will get this prize", and then there will be a new pledge with "This gets you MP#2" on it.

meep
2012-01-28, 12:10 PM
Argh.

I have to finish my taxes and/or determine if I'm getting a bonus this year before I can =reasonably= afford to bump up....

....oh, who am I kidding.

Anyway, if all books get reprinted, I'm buying all of them.

North_Ranger
2012-01-28, 12:12 PM
Crikey... I've been reading about this drive for a few days now here and on another nerd forum I frequent religiously (http://www.halforums.com/wpxf/), and I'm just frickin' blown away by the loyalty and support of the OOTS fanbase (which a fellow forumite once refered to as "insane" in the positive sense).

Hell, I'm tempted to donate myself, and that's saying something. My willigness to impart with any personal information online has always been comparable to [SPOILER]my willingness to stick my willy in a blender, so it's quite the feat for me. But man, to choose between the PDF collection and the poster? And there's the mystery prize hanging in there as well... Oh maaaannnn...

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-28, 12:15 PM
Crikey... I've been reading about this drive for a few days now here and on another nerd forum I frequent religiously (http://www.halforums.com/wpxf/), and I'm just frickin' blown away by the loyalty and support of the OOTS fanbase (which a fellow forumite once refered to as "insane" in the positive sense).

Hell, I'm tempted to donate myself, and that's saying something. My willigness to impart with any personal information online has always been comparable to [SPOILER]my willingness to stick my willy in a blender, so it's quite the feat for me. But man, to choose between the PDF collection and the poster? And there's the mystery prize hanging in there as well... Oh maaaannnn...

The PDFs come with EVERY pledge over $10, no matter what else you get. So picking the poster gets them all. And I assume the mystery prizes are further PDF freebies rather than new pledge rewards, so you should get that as well.

Forbiddenwar
2012-01-28, 12:19 PM
Almost as important as the running total is the number of backers. As better rewards come out, backers may increase their pledges, but great jumps in the total come from a wave of New backers. (a single backer changing a pledge from $10 to $25 yields less of an increase than a new back pledging $25)

I know I have reached my personal maximum I can give to this pledge at a signed poster. So more rewards are great, but I personally cannot do anymore to reach the next goal. (Of course, I say that now, perhaps I should wait until the other rewards are announced)

Except I can talk about it, on facebook, google+, steam, blogs. Get your friends who always borrowed your books involved, even if they've never read online. Because to reach $300K I feel we need new backers. (to reach 300K at current number of backers, we need an average of $82 per pledge)

On that note, We finally hit 3,700 backers! Will we see 4,000 within a week? (I wonder how the number of backers compare to the number of active forum users)

factotum
2012-01-28, 12:33 PM
Less than $400 to go!

North_Ranger
2012-01-28, 12:36 PM
The PDFs come with EVERY pledge over $10, no matter what else you get. So picking the poster gets them all. And I assume the mystery prizes are further PDF freebies rather than new pledge rewards, so you should get that as well.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEE!!!

Ahem, sorry. You just happened to tap into the Little Fanboy side of me right there. Carry on.

Forbiddenwar
2012-01-28, 12:46 PM
Less than $400 to go!

$104 to go. The tension is killing me.

Hamiltonz
2012-01-28, 12:46 PM
$222,086!

and over 3700 backers at this point, woot!

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-28, 12:50 PM
Mystery Prize #2!!

We're officially beating The Giant at Kickstarter!! :smallbiggrin:

I know it's supposed to be a co-operative thing, but so is D&D and look how often that happens. I prefer the us vs. the GM mentality.

Elder Tsofu
2012-01-28, 12:53 PM
*Pushes it over*
(well worth it for the free print)

Mystery prize! ^^

Absol197
2012-01-28, 12:56 PM
So Giant,

Assuming you haven't already decided, might I make a suggestion about Mystery Prize #3?

Assuming #2 is yet another short story, #3 could be compiling all of the short stories from this drive into a print book. Currently, you're already doing five short stories, plus one, should #2 be an additional, and all the original print books will, by that point, already be in back in print. And SSaDT was only 4 sections long (yes, some of those sections, like the Dragon Tails, were a bit longer...)

That gives those crazy parts of your fandom (such as myself) who prefer to read things in print the ability to do so.

I don't know, something to think about, I guess. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be better than my half-baked ideas, but I'm just putting it out there.

Yendor
2012-01-28, 01:02 PM
Mystery Prize #2!!

We're officially beating The Giant at Kickstarter!! :smallbiggrin:

He has $200,000 of our money. I'm sure he feels he's winning. :smalltongue:

Anarion
2012-01-28, 01:03 PM
Oh look, weekend just started and we've passed a goal line. Maybe this is all a dastardly attempt to force the Giant to make an update post with a Haley graph every day this weekend?

CoffeeIncluded
2012-01-28, 01:09 PM
Woo-hoo! Mystery Prize #2 is a go!

Phillip0614
2012-01-28, 01:17 PM
Hey Rich! I had a question for you about the drive. I have a buddy who I made a donation for to get him the magnet, but I'm really hoping that when our tax refund comes back my wife lets me make at least a one-book donation to your Kickstarter drive myself. However, I'd like to get one of the magnets for myself, too. Would it be possible for me to pledge an amount to get me up to the book level I'm allowed to donate for and then add $10 to it to get another print of the Roy magnet? Thanks!

Flame of Anor
2012-01-28, 01:21 PM
For me, Tsukiko is the Umbridge of OotS. She's an even nastier piece of work than the Big Bad, but the character is also very interesting and extremely well written. I can't stand her, but I like the character, if that makes any sense :smalltongue:

That's a very good way of putting it.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-28, 01:29 PM
He has $200,000 of our money. I'm sure he feels he's winning. :smalltongue:

True, but pressure from his fanbase is forcing him to make new prizes to keep us satisfied. I count that as us winning.

The only way he wins is to cancel the game & do a runner with our money at the end and not print the books/magnets (which I'm not ruling out, this could all be a huge scam).

fishboy
2012-01-28, 01:37 PM
The only way he wins is to cancel the game & do a runner with our money at the end and not print the books/magnets (which I'm not ruling out, this could all be a huge scam).

I've had the same thought, but then I would actually be awed by the amount of patience and planning it took to get us here! :smalltongue:

WampaX
2012-01-28, 01:41 PM
Hey Rich! I had a question for you about the drive. I have a buddy who I made a donation for to get him the magnet, but I'm really hoping that when our tax refund comes back my wife lets me make at least a one-book donation to your Kickstarter drive myself. However, I'd like to get one of the magnets for myself, too. Would it be possible for me to pledge an amount to get me up to the book level I'm allowed to donate for and then add $10 to it to get another print of the Roy magnet? Thanks!

Best place to ask the question is on Kickstarter via the Send a message link right below The Order of the Stick Reprint Drive. He's been checking those more closely than this thread.

My unprofessional opinion is that it will be fine as long as he knows who you are (on the Kickstarter site) and what will be in your order.

Who149
2012-01-28, 01:47 PM
Has a day gone by that we Haven't shattered the next seemingly impossible to reach goal?

jmucchiello
2012-01-28, 01:50 PM
Assuming #2 is yet another short story, #3 could be compiling all of the short stories from this drive into a print book. Currently, you're already doing five short stories, plus one, should #2 be an additional, and all the original print books will, by that point, already be in back in print. And SSaDT was only 4 sections long (yes, some of those sections, like the Dragon Tails, were a bit longer...)
The Mystery prizes are freebies to people who already pledged. There's no way he can freebie a print book. The cost is too high. Also, the work to turn those PDFs (that he hasn't drawn yet) into a print book would mean the book won't be ready to go to the printers for several months. Common speculation is it won't be until 2013 that these stories could see print at the earliest. (Especially since there would probably also be a bonus story in the book to entice people who already have the PDFs to buy it.)

Savannah
2012-01-28, 01:53 PM

*tries to imagine a world where the Giant is a scam artist*

*fails miserably*

Besides, I'm sure Kickstarter has some sort of precaution against that exact thing happening.

Shonen Hero
2012-01-28, 01:56 PM
True, but pressure from his fanbase is forcing him to make new prizes to keep us satisfied. I count that as us winning.

I know you're more then likely being facetious, and so please take what I say with a grain of salt...but c'mon, that's ridiculous. The Giant's as invested in this as we are. This is his life's work we're talking about here, which he's invested like almost a full decade into.

Nay, I say he only runs away with the cash moneys when the funds reach a $1 million. :smallwink:

SoC175
2012-01-28, 01:57 PM
I've had the same thought, but then I would actually be awed by the amount of patience and planning it took to get us here! :smalltongue:Really? That's just the age old "do a years long web comic and then pretend to collect money to have it's books re-printed" scam. Nothing really original :smallbiggrin:

Flame of Anor
2012-01-28, 02:00 PM
Really? That's just the age old "do a years long web comic and then pretend to collect money to have it's books re-printed" scam. Nothing really original :smallbiggrin:

Yeah well in my day you would write a years-long newspaper comic, then take the editor hostage. Kids these days.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-28, 02:04 PM
*tries to imagine a world where the Giant is a scam artist*

*fails miserably*

Besides, I'm sure Kickstarter has some sort of precaution against that exact thing happening.

I know you're more then likely being facetious, and so please take what I say with a grain of salt...but c'mon, that's ridiculous. The Giant's as invested in this as we are. This is his life's work we're talking about here, which he's invested like almost a full decade into.

Nay, I say he only runs away with the cash moneys when the funds reach a $1 million. :smallwink:

I'm not saying it's likely, but you never know. He might just be sick of drawing those damn stick figures & this is his project-pension so to speak.

Elder Tsofu
2012-01-28, 02:07 PM
And to where would he run? A fraud of some couple of hundred thousand dollars isn't just going to be forgotten. :smallwink:

WampaX
2012-01-28, 02:07 PM
I'm not saying it's likely, but you never know. He might just be sick of drawing those damn stick figures & this is his project-pension so to speak.

Should the Giant leave the Playground,
We lose our strongest warden of the Rich Baker.
He knows what is at stake here.
I cannot believe he would abandon all to that fate.

CDP
2012-01-28, 02:08 PM
I think we've officially reached the point where the title of the PDF release needs to be changed from "How the Paladin Got His Scar" to "How the Paladin Got His Scar And Other Stories".

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-28, 02:09 PM
And to where would he run? A fraud of some couple of hundred thousand dollars isn't just going to be forgotten. :smallwink:

I'm not going to give him hints :smalltongue:

Procyonpi
2012-01-28, 02:11 PM
So sayeth the Giant, on Kickstarter:

New update will come later tonight; I need to go out and do real-life-type errands now. I thought I had at least until 6 pm today! FYI: There will be no new limited reward packages added today, so no one needs to wait around until then just to try to snag something.

k_bukie
2012-01-28, 02:14 PM

Two things:

1) If you order any reward, you get the PDFs and the magnet.
2) Reward #2 will likely be over $10, so the poster could net you the free second reward as well.

PS: See you back on the other nerd forum. :wink:

Weimann
2012-01-28, 02:16 PM
So Giant,

Assuming you haven't already decided, might I make a suggestion about Mystery Prize #3?

Assuming #2 is yet another short story, #3 could be compiling all of the short stories from this drive into a print book.I know it's not a vote thing, but I want to express a counterpoint. I'd rather that the new Mystery Prize was some new material, as opposed to stuff I'd already get.

Manga Maniac
2012-01-28, 02:17 PM

"Hah, now that I have worked on my comic for about 10 years and probably no longer need to do any actual work to financially survive, created several print-only comics and compilations and sold them legally, I shall now steal a bunch of money (that I could just use on what I promised) and lose my position while becoming a fugitive!"

I'm on to him.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-28, 02:19 PM
"Hah, now that I have worked on my comic for about 10 years and probably no longer need to do any actual work to financially survive, created several print-only comics and compilations and sold them legally, I shall now steal a bunch of money (that I could just use on what I promised) and lose my position while becoming a fugitive!"

I'm on to him.

EXACTLY! :smallcool:

k_bukie
2012-01-28, 02:20 PM
The average pledge is now over $60, which is ridiculous.

ella ventic
2012-01-28, 02:21 PM
I thought I had at least until 6 pm today!

Oh, please, Giant. We didn't hit the goal until 1 pm Eastern. So we gave you A WHOLE HOUR of free time. Surely that's enough; what more could you possibly want from us?! :smallredface:

I really hope you're doing all right dealing with this monster you created.

...zomg, I just figured out what I want Mystery Prize #3 to be about.

k_bukie
2012-01-28, 02:22 PM
Mystery Prize #3: Party at the Giant's house! Since travel for him is off the table, travel for the rest of us is on it.

Note: This message has been sarcasm. If you failed to detect the sarcasm, go back and try again until you do.

Absol197
2012-01-28, 02:23 PM
I know it's not a vote thing, but I want to express a counterpoint. I'd rather that the new Mystery Prize was some new material, as opposed to stuff I'd already get.

That's actually a good point, and I missed him saying that he would consider eventually making a second compilation (and now I can't find where he said that again, but I remember reading it :smallsmile: ).

I withdraw my suggestion!

EDIT: And come on people! We're only about $75,000 away from a full-series reprint! Get all your other nerd-friends to come and pledge! Think about it, if every person who has already pledged gets just one friend to pledge just $10, we'll jump up another (at the time of this writing) $37,250! That's halfway! For one friend apiece! I'm already trying to get my friends who read OotS but don't go to the forums involved! We can do it! Exclaimation marks!!!

Howler Dagger
2012-01-28, 02:41 PM
Mystery Prize #3: Party at the Giant's house! Since travel for him is off the table, travel for the rest of us is on it.

Note: This message has been sarcasm. If you failed to detect the sarcasm, go back and try again until you do.

I would do it.

Anyway, we have passed the 2nd mystery prize goal.

Absol197
2012-01-28, 02:50 PM

Somehow, I don't think he has enough space at his place to host 3,700+ people...just a guess. :smallwink:

SweetBB
2012-01-28, 02:57 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEE!!!

Ahem, sorry. You just happened to tap into the Little Fanboy side of me right there. Carry on.

Me too! I didn't know I still had it in me. Yet here I am jumping up and down like a little kid, waving my "GO OOTS GO!" banner with the best of them! :biggrin:

...not to mention excitedly upping my pledge each time Rich added new rewards, so much that it is now over 12x my original pledge! Onwards and upwards! :haley:

Manga Maniac
2012-01-28, 03:40 PM
I too love the fanboy feeling I get when stuff like this happens.

Unisus
2012-01-28, 04:05 PM
I'm a bit confused about SSaDT. If you only want that book, it is a limited reward, and also in combination with W&XP. But other options, e.g. the 'print only special', also contain it and aren't limited. So, probably best to ask.

As the Giant mentioned somewhere here in the thread (i think), his informations about the numbers of SSaDT available were not quite correct, but he could not "unlimit" the awards after he got to know this fact.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-28, 04:08 PM
only about $75,000

The scale of this thing is crazy...

Somehow, I don't think he has enough space at his place to host 3,700+ people...just a guess. :smallwink:

Well, he definitely has enough money to rent a nearby warehouse. Just saying.

hanglekuk
2012-01-28, 04:12 PM
the next minor milestone to pass is 231000. 4x amount of original target.

Sethala
2012-01-28, 04:13 PM
As the Giant mentioned somewhere here in the thread (i think), his informations about the numbers of SSaDT available were not quite correct, but he could not "unlimit" the awards after he got to know this fact.

Correct, but he also pointed out that after the drive, he may end up pulling all the remaining copies off of Ookoodook and save them for prizes for various things (such as future Kickstarter drives). Since I believe he doesn't intend to reprint it at all (though I wouldn't be surprised if he put up another kickstarter drive to reprint it in a few years, after seeing how successful this one is), this might be your last chance to guarantee a copy.

keldorn
2012-01-28, 04:25 PM
I too love the fanboy feeling I get when stuff like this happens.

Talking about fanboy stuff, a while ago I posted

Okay, at last look, we have just become the 50th largest fundraising project in KickStarter's history. We need:

<snip>
$223,423 to be in the top 15
$257,307 to match the largest project in the food category
$281,990 to be in the top 10
$345,992 to match the largest project in the film and video category
$486,519 to be in the top 5
$830,827 to match the largest project in the technology category
$942,578 to match the largest project in the design category
$942,579 to be the largest project.

I did eventually discover four current projects that were bigger than we were at the time, but we have since passed two of those and look how close we are to running this one (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104350651/lunatik-touch-pen-the-evolution-of-the-stylus?ref=category) down. I'll produce a list of our remaining top 15 targets once I notice we have passed that one.

Oh well, I couldn't wait that long. Here are the current top 15 projects in terms of money including both completed and open projects.

1. $942,578 Design
2. $938,771 Design
3. $830,827 Technology
4. $735,802 (and growing) Design
5. $556,541 Technology
6. $486,518 Design
7. $369,569 Design
8. $364,698 Design
9. $345,992 Film and Video
10. $306,944 Design
11. $281,989 Design
12. $273,725 Film and Video
13. $262,351 Technology
14. $259,293 Technology
15. $257,307 Food

Thirteen of those are products which have uses, as is the one which we are running down. So we are already the third largest "arts" project. With the pent up demand for DStP as part of various packages, including signed ones, I think we will take positions 15 to 12 in a rush when we get there and become the second biggest arts project. If we get to the third bonus award, we will probably get to be in the top 10. Unless Rich has further fundraising plans that he hasn't yet mentioned, I can't see us getting to position 9 and becoming the biggest arts project at the same time.

meep
2012-01-28, 04:38 PM

Speaking as an actuary who has specialized in annuities and retirement issues.... $1 million isn't a lot of money for the rest of your life (iirc, I'm about the same age as The Giant, but I could be wrong).

I've had to explain this to some of my friends who thought they could retire in their 30s at less than $1M (but then the internet bubble burst, and it became moot).

In any case, we know this is unlikely in any event.

Gwynfrid
2012-01-28, 05:04 PM
Look at that, I wanted a non-book reward, I go away for a day, and here's one ! Several, in fact, but all he limited ones are gone already. Oh well.

Seriously, congratulations to Rich for this runaway success. Even though it means a lot of days and nights will have to be spent signing and shipping rewards of all shapes and stripes :smallamused:

I suspect we'll see a slowing down in the comic updates because of this. No big deal, it's well worth it.

Absol197
2012-01-28, 05:13 PM
Thirteen of those are products which have uses, as is the one which we are running down. So we are already the third largest "arts" project. With the pent up demand for DStP as part of various packages, including signed ones, I think we will take positions 15 to 12 in a rush when we get there and become the second biggest arts project. If we get to the third bonus award, we will probably get to be in the top 10. Unless Rich has further fundraising plans that he hasn't yet mentioned, I can't see us getting to position 9 and becoming the biggest arts project at the same time.

Depending on what the second "Mystery Prize" is, we might get another push when Rich announces it. He intimated that it wouldn't go straight to the $10 pledges. If it goes to the $14+ people, then not only will we get a small boost from new people pledging $14, but possibly a fair number of the $10 people raising that small amount to get the new reward. Even if only a quarter of the $10 people upgrade, that's still over a thousand we'll raise from that.

Peelee
2012-01-28, 05:24 PM
Should the Giant leave the Playground,
We lose our strongest warden of the Rich Baker.
He knows what is at stake here.
I cannot believe he would abandon all to that fate.

I'm reading this thread as much for the continuing epic of the Rich Baker as I am for gushing about the drive. Please, good sir, don't stop!

Yendor
2012-01-28, 05:35 PM
Seriously, congratulations to Rich for this runaway success. Even though it means a lot of days and nights will have to be spent signing and shipping rewards of all shapes and stripes :smallamused:

I suspect we'll see a slowing down in the comic updates because of this. No big deal, it's well worth it.

If history is any guide, Rich will take a break at the end of the current arc, which is maybe 20-30 strips away. I'd guess he would use that time to do all the signing and shipping stuff.

k_bukie
2012-01-28, 05:43 PM
At this point, the toughest milestone to hit might be the $255,000 for the DStP rewards to get thrown in. Once those are thrown in, the $300,000 barrier should be easily doable.

keldorn
2012-01-28, 07:52 PM
Depending on what the second "Mystery Prize" is, we might get another push when Rich announces it. He intimated that it would go straight to the $10 pledges. If it goes to the $14+ people, then not only will we get a small boost from new people pledging $14, but possibly a fair number of the $10 people raising that small amount to get the new reward. Even if only a quarter of the $10 people upgrade, that's still over a thousand we'll raise from that.

According to my count, there are 14 people who haven't selected a prize. My guess is that they are mostly likely either people who have donated a token dollar to show moral support, or people who have paid $10 and just want the e-comics and don't need a fridge magnet. The latter might be willing to up to a new prize level that is something like an e-comic but I can't see them being motivated by anything else material unless they are interested in some of the commissioned material and missed out on the rush to take those offers up. I suspect that those who have just bid for the magnets might again be persuaded to up slightly for something like an e-comic. But a lot of them are probably relatively poor and won't be able to pay much more.

I think that the number of people who went for the $10 and $14 prizes was over 1400 at some point. Therefore some of the people who went for the posters might be interested in higher value objects.

SweetBB
2012-01-28, 07:53 PM
Cool! Numbers are all 2's, 7's and 3's...

Backers
$227,227
pledged of $57,750 goal
days to go

Obnoxious Hydra
2012-01-28, 07:53 PM
Oh ma gaaaaaaawd.
So... much... money....

How many short stories are we getting out of this at the moment? 5 certain ones (how the Paladin got his Scar, Julio Scoundrel story, and the $1,250 bidders stories...), six if Mystery Prize number two is another short story...

Woah.

Exediron
2012-01-28, 08:56 PM
Now that things have slowed down enough for data not to become hopelessly out of date the moment it's posted, I did some statistical analysis of the pledges so far:

{TABLE]Level|Backers|Money|% Backers|% Money
$10|1,064|$10,640|28.21%|4.69%
$14|292|$4,088|7.74%|1.80%
$25|232|$5,800|6.15%|2.55%
$26|153|$3,978|4.05%|1.75%
$29|22|$638|0.58%|0.28%
$35|189|$6,615|5.01%|2.91%
$37|12|$444|0.31%|0.19%
$38|25|$950|0.66%|0.41%
$42|15|$630|0.39%|0.27%
$45|375|$16,875|9.94%|7.44%
$50|25|$1,250|0.66%|0.55%
$52|30|$1,560|0.79%|0.68%
$57|30|$1,710|0.79%|0.75%
$60|25|$1,500|0.66%|0.66%
$61|78|$7,758|2.06%|3.42%
$62|24|$1,488|0.63%|0.65%
$65|15|$975|0.39%|0.43%
$67|271|$18,157|7.18%|8.00%
$68|260|$17,680|6.92%|7.79%
$79|80|$6,320|2.12%|2.78%
$83|25|$2,075|0.66%|0.91%
$84|10|$840|0.26%|0.37%
$87|76|$6,612|2.01%|2.91%
$92|34|$3,128|0.90%|1.37%
$94|130|$12,220|3.44%|5.39%
$96|30|$2,880|0.79%|1.27%
$100|10|$1,000|0.26%|0.44%
$192|121|$23,232|3.20%|10.24%
$240|15|$3,600|0.39%|1.58%
$250|50|$12,500|1.32%|5.51%
$262|30|$7,860|0.79%|3.46%
$600|5|$3,000|0.13%|1.32%
$1,250|3|$3,750|0.07%|1.65%
$5,000|1|$5,000|0.02%|2.20%[/TABLE]

No level selected: 14
Amount provided by people pledging above their level: $29,962

Contribution of the top 1%: ~8.5%
Contribution of the top 50%: ~70%

I realize that the percent total of all the lines doesn't add up to 100% - I blame rounding.

Thanks to Grey_Wolf_c for telling me how to make the table actually look right :smallbiggrin:

I didn't expect it to take me so long to wrestle with the table, so the data is slightly more out of date than expected. A couple of things stand out to me as worthy of note or unusual:

A surprisingly low number of people (0.37%) chose to receive no reward for their pledge. On the other hand, about 13% of the funds come from people pledging above their level of reward, which would make it the largest pledge category if it were one.
The workhorse reward levels appear to be those including a copy of one of the print-only books, accounting for about 20% of the total funds.

I might do some more statistics later, but I need to go now.

jmucchiello
2012-01-28, 09:51 PM
or people who have paid $10 and just want the e-comics and don't need a fridge magnet.
Then those people are going to be disappointed when they get nothing. You have to select SOME reward for Rich to get your email so he can send you the PDF. We learned this when I said I didn't want the magnet.

keldorn
2012-01-28, 11:02 PM
Now that things have slowed down enough for data not to become hopelessly out of date the moment it's posted, I did some statistical analysis of the pledges so far:

<snip>

<snip>

I didn't expect it to take me so long to wrestle with the table, so the data is slightly more out of date than expected. A couple of things stand out to me as worthy of note or unusual:

A surprisingly low number of people (0.37%) chose to receive no reward for their pledge. On the other hand, about 13% of the funds come from people pledging above their level of reward, which would make it the largest pledge category if it were one.

<snip>

Thanks for the effort I was doing a preliminary analysis too but did not get anywhere near as far as you. My instinct is that most of the people going for no reward are token amounts just showing moral support. I'm pretty sure that we were forced to select an item from the list to get the emails of the comics. Given that donations are likely to be made almost entirely by OOTS fans, I can't see why any OOTS fan who could afford the $10 would decline to have the emails.

I wonder how much of that 30 odd K is postage out of the US. The total works out as about $8 per pledger. It would pay for nearly 3000 small packages to Europe or around 1350 boxes there. Then there are some people who have ordered extra copies of books in boxes. And some may have put in extra money in the expectation of buying DStP and the hope of bringing its availability closer. Once things settle down again after that barrier, you can see how the excess amount has changed as a proportion.

WampaX
2012-01-28, 11:28 PM
Well,
we've been stuck at 3797 backers for a good 20 minutes, which leads me to believe we have reached a level of saturation, with both the influx of new backers and the amounts the currents backers can or are willing to give.

I did some google searches and aside from a couple of blogs and several dozen message board posts scattered around, No major RPG site or webcomics site has posted anything about the pledge drive (aside from Erfworld, but that readership crosses oots so closely, I'm not sure how much of a bump that may have given). The various outlets that already have the drive (and the comic) exposed to its readers have allowed us to get this far, but everything is slowing down.

If the drive could garner a foothold in an adjacent audience or even a little love from a major rpg website, I would wager we could easily crush the $300K barrier with an influx of fresh readers/pledgers.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-01-28, 11:33 PM
If the drive could garner a foothold in an adjacent audience or even a little love from a major rpg website, I would wager we could easily crush the $300K barrier with an influx of fresh readers/pledgers.

I'm a little surprised Howard Tayler hasn't given the drive a plug, actually. Given that they share the Ookoodook connection, I was hoping a bump from that direction, and if the readership of Schlock Mercenary gets involved in this, it could provide with another major jump. It's not Penny Arcade level, but still quite a bit.

Edit: on the other hand, they did just recently have their own drive, so maybe they are tapped out.

Grey Wolf

WampaX
2012-01-28, 11:45 PM
on the other hand, they did just recently have their own drive, so maybe they are tapped out.

As long as the exposure can propagate to new audiences.
Its all about tipping the right domino and putting it in front of the right person.
If it takes one or two iterations to get to that point, I think we still have time.

Zevox
2012-01-28, 11:46 PM
Well,
we've been stuck at 3797 backers for a good 20 minutes, which leads me to believe we have reached a level of saturation, with both the influx of new backers and the amounts the currents backers can or are willing to give.

I did some google searches and aside from a couple of blogs and several dozen message board posts scattered around, No major RPG site or webcomics site has posted anything about the pledge drive (aside from Erfworld, but that readership crosses oots so closely, I'm not sure how much of a bump that may have given). The various outlets that already have the drive (and the comic) exposed to its readers have allowed us to get this far, but everything is slowing down.

Lets wait and see what Mystery Prize #2 is. The Giant mentioned in the last update that it wouldn't quite be available to those pledging the lowest amount, so that might inspire some people to increase their pledge, depending on what it is and what the minimum pledge to get it is.

Zevox

Tanuki Tales
2012-01-29, 12:01 AM
I'd plug the drive across a few sites I know...if they wouldn't insta-ban me for it. :smallsigh:

Porthos
2012-01-29, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. The amount is still going up, slowly but surely. But it is slowing down as it always does at this time at night. The difference is, instead of getting approx $600 an hour, right now it is getting approx $400 an hour:

All times Pacific Standard:

3-4pm 3,770 $226,701 $522
4-5pm 3,778 $227,283 $582
5-6pm 3,785 $227,767 $484
6-7pm 3,794 $228,365 $598
7-8pm 3,797 $228,479 $114
8-9pm 3,801 $228,905 $426

I only included the last few hours, but the amount raised all day before then bounced around $750.

It'll probably bounce around the $150-$450 range in the "overnight" hours, depending on what happens when Rich posts his update. But if the amount raised goes to approx $500 tomorrow during the daylight hours in the US time zones (and I see no reason why it shouldn't) the drive will probably cross the DStP threshold sometime Monday or Tuesday. Then we get another "surge" from those orders.

At least that's how I see it at the mo.

Fawkes
2012-01-29, 12:33 AM
I'd expect a surge when Rich announces Mystery Prize #2.

Xapi
2012-01-29, 01:16 AM

Level-------Backers------Money-------Percent Backers-----Percent Money
$10---------1,064---------$10,640-------28.21%--------------4.69%
$14---------292-----------$4,088--------7.74%---------------1.80%
$25---------232-----------$5,800--------6.15%---------------2.55%
$26---------153-----------$3,978--------4.05%---------------1.75%
$29---------22------------$638----------0.58%---------------0.28%
$35---------189-----------$6,615--------5.01%---------------2.91%
$37---------12------------$444----------0.31%---------------0.19%
$38---------25------------$950----------0.66%---------------0.41%
$42---------15------------$630----------0.39%---------------0.27%
$45---------375-----------$16,875-------9.94%---------------7.44%
$50---------25------------$1,250--------0.66%---------------0.55%
$52---------30------------$1,560--------0.79%---------------0.68%
$57---------30------------$1,710--------0.79%---------------0.75%
$60---------25------------$1,500--------0.66%---------------0.66%
$61---------78------------$7,758 -------2.06%---------------3.42%
$62---------24------------$1,488 -------0.63%---------------0.65%
$65---------15------------$975----------0.39%---------------0.43%
$67---------271-----------$18,157-------7.18%---------------8.00%
$68---------260-----------$17,680-------6.92%---------------7.79%
$79---------80------------$6,320 -------2.12%---------------2.78%
$83---------25------------$2,075--------0.66%---------------0.91%
$84---------10------------$840----------0.26%---------------0.37%
$87---------76------------$6,612--------2.01%---------------2.91%
$92---------34------------$3,128--------0.90%---------------1.37%
$94---------130-----------$12,220-------3.44%---------------5.39%
$96---------30------------$2,880--------0.79%---------------1.27%
$100--------10------------$1,000--------0.26%---------------0.44%
$192--------121-----------$23,232-------3.20%---------------10.24%
$240--------15------------$3,600--------0.39%---------------1.58%
$250--------50------------$12,500-------1.32%---------------5.51%
$262--------30------------$7,860--------0.79%---------------3.46%
$600--------5-------------$3,000--------0.13%---------------1.32%
$1,250------3-------------$3,750--------0.07%---------------1.65%
$5,000------1-------------$5,000--------0.02%---------------2.20%

No level selected: 14

Contribution of the top 1%: ~8.5%
Contribution of the top 50%: ~70%

I realize that the percent total of all the lines doesn't add up to 100% - I blame rounding.

This forum isn't really optimized for posting tables :smallannoyed:

The workhorse reward levels appear to be those including a copy of one of the print-only books, accounting for about 20% of the total funds.

Remember that many of those who pledged beyond their reward level are either extra magnets, shipping costs, extra books and the like.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-29, 01:44 AM
Oh well, I couldn't wait that long. Here are the current top 15 projects in terms of money including both completed and open projects.

As an odd coincidence, I updated the Top 10 Projects section on the Kickstarer Wikipedia page just a few hours before you posted that. Turns out I could have just waited and copied you... :smalltongue:

I'm a little surprised Howard Tayler hasn't given the drive a plug, actually. Given that they share the Ookoodook connection, I was hoping a bump from that direction, and if the readership of Schlock Mercenary gets involved in this, it could provide with another major jump. It's not Penny Arcade level, but still quite a bit.

Edit: on the other hand, they did just recently have their own drive, so maybe they are tapped out.

Grey Wolf

Well, I contributed to both. I'll just go suggest it to Mr. Tayler on Facebook.

MammonAzrael
2012-01-29, 02:49 AM
Ok, that is a thoroughly awesome mystery prize. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2012-01-29, 02:53 AM
"Dim Sun"??? :smallsigh::smallsigh::smallsigh:

I love it. :smallcool::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

t209
2012-01-29, 03:00 AM
I wonder what Roy will carry in Dim Sun Settings? I heard that Steel weapons are banned and available for god kings. What are the races in Dark Sun setting?

factotum
2012-01-29, 03:00 AM

The only problem with your analysis is that it's necessarily incomplete because it doesn't take account of additional money people pledged over and above the line for the reward they chose. For instance, I'm in the $52 pledge bracket, but I had to pledge at least $62 for overseas shipping, and I actually pledged $65 because I like multiples of 5 (yes, I'm weird, thanks for noticing :smallwink:).

Blisstake
2012-01-29, 03:10 AM
And now we know what Durkon would look like shaved.

SaintRidley
2012-01-29, 03:12 AM
I might have to read up on some Dark Sun again so I'm fresh when the parody rolls in.

Also, Thri-Kreen V? Interesting.

Exediron
2012-01-29, 03:16 AM
Remember that many of those who pledged beyond their reward level are either extra magnets, shipping costs, extra books and the like.

Yeah, I did forget about that. Let's see what effect that probably has:

The total number of pledges which are potentially affected by shipping costs was 2,415 (pledge levels 1 and 2 don't pay extra shipping) as of the posting of the table. Of these, not all pay the same amount of shipping.

Assuming that about half of the people who get books have them shipped international (I have no idea how valid of an assumption this is, but whatever) we can take off about $13,500 worth of the extra for shipping. Assuming that roughly half of the people able to get extra books do so, and that they in turn get roughly half of the extra books they are able to, that's another ~$9,500 off. This doesn't count any resulting upgrades to shipping rates. I'm also assuming that most of the people at the $240 level took the option to get a full signed run of the books.

That leaves us with about $7,000 of actual over-pledging, which averages out to only about $2 extra per head. I expect that the distribution curve of pledging beyond reward level is far from even, however; I think it's likely that most of the higher-than-reward pledges come from people in the mid-to-high range - they already have what they want, but they might want to throw a little extra support the project's way. People at lower levels would seem more likely to simply upgrade to a higher reward if they wish to up their contribution.

Obviously, all of the people who selected no reward level pledged above their level, but I doubt they pledged $500 each. :smallwink:

Also: Hey, update while I was typing this! It's not a new reward level, so the numbers have a shot at remaining valid for another day...

EDIT: Whenever I make an updated table I can run some math to try to get the effect of average shipping cost on the pledge levels. However, as a chart of the percentage of rewards people selected it is still accurate.

Porthos
2012-01-29, 03:17 AM
BTW, for the people not familiar with what is being parodied, it is only the second greatest Campaign Setting TSR ever created (with Planescape being the first in this Playgrounder's not so humble opinion).

Dark Sun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun).

If anyone is a member of any of the Dark Sun fansites out there, or knows how to get a hold of them, letting them know about this might very well be a way to drum up even more support for the drive.

Seriously an OotS take on Dark Sun has me drooling over here. And I suspect it would leave a lot of Dark Sun fans drooling as well.

turkishproverb
2012-01-29, 03:22 AM
Oooh. Dim Sun. Awesome. Love the angry star.

Exediron
2012-01-29, 03:22 AM
Seriously an OotS take on Dark Sun has me drooling over here. And I suspect it would leave a lot of Dark Sun fans drooling as well.

The only problem with that is we're already getting it - they don't need to contribute anything more for it, except as a sign of approval.

Porthos
2012-01-29, 03:28 AM
The only problem with that is we're already getting it - they don't need to contribute anything more for it, except as a sign of approval.

What I was saying is that any Dark Sun fans who might be unaware of the drive, but are still fans of OotS, might contribute $10 just to get this short story. Heck they might just contribute $10 bucks just on general principles to see a parody of DS even if they were previously unaware of The Order of the Stick.

It's kinda of piggybacking on WampaX's idea of going to other RPG websites and spreading the word of what is going on here.

SaintRidley
2012-01-29, 03:38 AM

Ah, but if any Dark Sun fans don't know it would be a disservice to them not to let them know and then for them to donate.

Lappy9001
2012-01-29, 03:44 AM
Looks like I've upgraded my pledge. I'll have a full Order of the Stick collection sooner than I thought!

Callooh! Callay! I chortle in joy! :smallcool:

Andious
2012-01-29, 03:50 AM
Here's what I think we should do.

Have that red graph line even out for a few days, so Haley will start walking on it. Maybe just a little upward slope, that'd be good, and then, when she least expects it... everyone suddenly donate a ton of money so she either bumps into the "wall" or trips over it.

Because I'm tired and feeling a little mean and I want the guilt-trip of imagining Elan's reaction to my suggesting that so I can tell him I didn't really mean it.

slayerx
2012-01-29, 04:11 AM
I'm definitely gonna get in on this; Only reason I haven't pledged is because i haven't been able to decide how much to pledge. Ah so many great rewards, and not enough money to afford them all XD
Though the fact that we are so close to getting EVERY book back in print does make things a bit easier...

Ah curse my indecisiveness

Girdag
2012-01-29, 06:57 AM
There's an autographed set of Origins and War and XPs going atm. Thought I'd give people a heads-up, doubt it'll be there long.

Raistlin82
2012-01-29, 07:17 AM
Heh... now my imagination is showing me images of Dragondance OotS and eBayIron OotS...

Recalled Kingdoms OotS and Greypigeon OotS wouldn't be much different, though, I guess.

Mir
2012-01-29, 07:49 AM
I would raise my pledge if there were t-shirts as rewards... :smallsmile:

Topus
2012-01-29, 09:09 AM
Hello everybody:)
Is there a way to only buy Dungeon Crawling Fools and No Cure for the Paladin Blues? I only found the pick three box, but i already own the other books, and it's a little bit expensive (94$+37$) for me, for this month (damn economic crisis!:P)

By now, i'm going for the 42$+10$ pledge to get NCftPB, i was really longing for a reprint:)
This drive has been awesome and exciting and i wish i could contribute more by the end of it; Rich Burlew has done something great, with the comic, and with the community.

And for me the second mistery prize is a wonderful reward: i played a character in Dark Sun setting (AD&D) for a continous ten-year campaign, and it's a great, and in some way sweet, surprise to see the The Order of the Stick under the crimson sun. In my opinion is one of the best setting ever created, very iconic and easy to visually refere to.

Thank you :)

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-29, 09:13 AM
Hello everybody:)
Is there a way to only buy Dungeon Crawling Fools and No Cure for the Paladin Blues? I only found the pick three box, but i already own the other books, and it's a little bit expensive (94$+37$) for me, for this month (damn economic crisis!:P)

By now, i'm going for the 42$+10$ pledge to get NCftPB, i was really longing for a reprint:)
This drive has been awesome and exciting and i wish i could contribute more by the end of it; Rich Burlew has done something great, with the comic, and with the community.

And for me the second mistery prize is a wonderful reward: i played a character in Dark Sun setting (AD&D) for a continous ten-year campaign, and it's a great, and in some way sweet, surprise to see the The Order of the Stick under the crimson sun. In my opinion is one of the best setting ever created, very iconic and easy to visually refere to.

Thank you :)

Your bes bet is to message the Giant about adding the other book to a single book pledge. It's what he suggested I do, I did, and now I'm getting 3 books despite only having the DStP pledge.

Topus
2012-01-29, 09:21 AM
Thank you, i'll try this :)

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-01-29, 09:30 AM
Also, Thri-Kreen V? Interesting.

Far more interesting, in my view: preserver or defiler? Considering V's penchant for oversized spells, I'd say defiler, but that opens a whole new can of worms right there.

Grey Wolf

Topus
2012-01-29, 09:40 AM
Far more interesting, in my view: preserver or defiler? Considering V's penchant for oversized spells, I'd say defiler, but that opens a whole new can of worms right there.

Grey Wolf

Mmm, now that i think of it, in 2ed Thrikreen were not allowed to be wizard, preserver nor defiler. But in Dim Sun, everything is possible :D

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-01-29, 10:02 AM
Mmm, now that i think of it, in 2ed Thrikreen were not allowed to be wizard, preserver nor defiler. But in Dim Sun, everything is possible :D

Why 2ed? Wouldn't they be Dim Sun 3.5, like the main continuity? Not that I know that one any better; my only contact with DS RP started like a week and a half ago, when making the character for the PbP in this forum, and it was 4E anyway.

Also, I feel Haley should be a sun runner. And Roy a Mul, although that would put a stop to his mother's plans for pitter-patters, of course.

Grey Wolf

Tanuki Tales
2012-01-29, 10:04 AM
There was no official Dark Sun update for 3.5, but I don't see how that'd affect this alternate OotS though. Rich moved away from mechanics and such a loooong time ago.

A comment on the update is right:

I too would enjoy seeing an Eberron style OotS!

Topus
2012-01-29, 10:06 AM
Why 2ed? Wouldn't they be Dim Sun 3.5, like the main continuity?

I said 2Ed because it's the one i know, as i played for almost ten year in DS 2ed, and i thought there will be no difference in thri-kreen restictions, but i may be wrong, perhaps in 3.5 kreen can be wizards ;)

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-01-29, 10:11 AM
There was no official Dark Sun update for 3.5, but I don't see how that'd affect this alternate OotS though. Rich moved away from mechanics and such a loooong time ago.

Interesting... in 4E there are, of course, no restrictions to class due to race. And yes, Rich will of course ignore any and all rules that get in the way of the parody, so I wasn't expecting that that would stop him.

Weird that DS got abandoned in 3.5. Was there a port to 3.0, at least? Or did the whole setting got thrown under a bus for 10 years?

Grey Wolf

Mir
2012-01-29, 10:24 AM
What about a Psion V? Opens up a few new jokes...

Tanuki Tales
2012-01-29, 10:29 AM
Interesting... in 4E there are, of course, no restrictions to class due to race. And yes, Rich will of course ignore any and all rules that get in the way of the parody, so I wasn't expecting that that would stop him.

Weird that DS got abandoned in 3.5. Was there a port to 3.0, at least? Or did the whole setting got thrown under a bus for 10 years?

Grey Wolf

I think it got thrown under the bus, just like Ravenloft, Planescape and Spelljammer.

WampaX
2012-01-29, 10:47 AM
I think it got thrown under the bus, just like Ravenloft, Planescape and Spelljammer.

Ravenloft got a 3.X update from Sword and Sorcery, officially licensed by WotC.

Ah, that would be the first sign of the coming reign of the Rich Baker.
Be careful what you wish for my friend . . . very careful indeed.

Tanuki Tales
2012-01-29, 10:55 AM
Ravenloft got a 3.X update from Sword and Sorcery, officially licensed by WotC.

That's right; I keep forgetting the license ended up reverting solely back to Wizard of the Coast.

Ah, that would be the first sign of the coming reign of the Rich Baker.
Be careful what you wish for my friend . . . very careful indeed.

:smallbiggrin:

WampaX
2012-01-29, 11:01 AM
That's right; I keep forgetting the license ended up reverting solely back to Wizard of the Coast.
Which was the reason they crafted the Ravenloft issue of Dragon and Did Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

:smallbiggrin:

When two worlds collide
Amidst the fire
Of creation myths
Born from ire.
Spires rise
Above the plane
Aside figures drawn
somewhat plain.
When art and majesty collide
The end begins
Apocalypse's bride.

Taken from the Addentorium to The Dawn of the Playground: War of the Rich Baker, transliterated from the mad ravings of the dark beast's prophets discovered in a particularly tenacious cell of cultists.

The Succubus
2012-01-29, 11:02 AM
Hehehe - I have a full set of signed books from DCF to DStP coming my way when the drive ends! :smallbiggrin:

Also, the Dim Sun parody - dare I ask what Haley is wearing? Oo

Topus
2012-01-29, 11:08 AM
Also, the Dim Sun parody - dare I ask what Haley is wearing? Oo
It seems to be the classical female adventurer athasian outfit, like sadira.
http://images.wikia.com/darksun/images/3/32/Sadira.jpg
Pretty good world, for the fashionista :P

WampaX
2012-01-29, 11:46 AM
What about a Psion V? Opens up a few new jokes...

This would be my assessment too.
V as the psionicly powered androgynous bug fits perfectly.

Durkon is more of a mystery as there are no direct divine classes in Darksun.
Possibly an Elemental priest or even more humorously a druid?

Topus
2012-01-29, 12:00 PM
Durkon is more of a mystery as there are no direct divine classes in Darksun.
Possibly an Elemental priest or even more humorously a druid?
The real issue is that on Athas plants are dangerous for real as they mostly have aggressive psionic powers ;)
An earth cleric seems to fit, or a rain cleric if he wants to keep a bonding with Thor's lightning. A druid will be very ironic, indeed :)

Forbiddenwar
2012-01-29, 12:12 PM
the kickstarter has made me dig out all my oots books. It is more fun than reading the strips online. Much more fun. And although I've read them many times, they are still laugh out loud funny.

For anyone thinking, why should I get the books when they are online, trust me, you should get the books. You save your eyes from screen glare, save your internet from downloading every image, and save your brain.

Reading strips (or anything) online is vastly different from reading strips in print. We read differently when seeing text on a screen vs in print. The books break up the strips into chapters of great material, making it easier to mental grasp and digest 600 strips of material.

And then there's the bonuses. the character introductions, the bonus strips you didn't even know the story needed until you read them, and the commentary. Rich's commentary is amazing, as he pokes fun at himself and discusses who this whole thing came to be.

In fact, I don't re-read the strips online anymore. I read each once, I chuckle and move on. But a lot of plot, character and humor is lost when reading one strip once a week or less. So I buy the books and will always buy the books. It's by far the best investment I've ever made.

Capt Spanner
2012-01-29, 12:25 PM
I have a question about the rewards:

Can I actually kick Belkar? He's had it coming.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-29, 12:29 PM
I have a question about the rewards:

Can I actually kick Belkar? He's had it coming.

If you bought the 5k reward I'm sure it could be worked into the cameo you get.

Otherwise you'd have to do it in real life and you'd just be paying to kick a dwarf/child in a costume, which is probably illegal.

factotum
2012-01-29, 12:32 PM
A comment on the update is right:

I'd be more interested in seeing a Planescape or Spelljammer one, myself...