PDA

View Full Version : The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-01, 07:25 PM
Achievement Unlocked: Wallpapers.

Do we have to stop posting on this thread now it's at 1500 posts?

Gwynfrid
2012-02-01, 07:26 PM
And 'whatever else' just happened: wallpapers, stickers and a notebook seem to be well within reach if you go for this package. I was actually quite amazed upon reading the new rewards. I live in Europe and went for the 222 (+37) 'all of them' reward and was happy enough to recieve what you just described. Seriously, Mr. Burlew, stop it now. I am getting more than enough value for my money. I was happy to send some your way, but now I am almost starting to feel as if I am taking more than I am giving.

Same here. I don't dream that Rich has time to read this monster thread, as we're giving him plenty of work as it is. But, just in case: Seriously, man, for a bonus, just the wallpapers alone (10 or more? No kidding?) are PLENTY.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-01, 07:27 PM
Achievement Unlocked: Wallpapers.

Do we have to stop posting on this thread now it's at 1500 posts?

It's probably OK as long as we switch to the new one whenever it comes out.

The Glyphstone
2012-02-01, 07:30 PM
If each of the bonus comics are 10 pages long (the promised average length for the purchased bonus stories, so it's a workable guess), that's 70+ pages of comic, almost as long as OtOoPCs.

MoonCat
2012-02-01, 07:31 PM
I'm kinda scared now that a few people mentioned several people removing their pledges in the last minute. :smallfrown:

But I quite like the comment about sense and reason. :smallbiggrin:

Andious
2012-02-01, 07:35 PM
Me too. I never really understood the logic of making those materials limited edition, especially now that there will be a second Julio Scoundrel story.

I'm certain he's going to have some plan so that others will be able to read these stories. He may or may not have one right now, and bothering him about it will just make things worse, but I'd wager my trust in him that he'll one day come up with something, even if that isn't for a few years.

I will, however, bravely argue with him if he somehow transforms into a monster and says he's never allowing anyone to read these stories ever again and demands we mail back or burn our own copies, sending out armored guards to-okay now I'm being silly.

CloakedDancer
2012-02-01, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty sure this thread has hit overflow. Those wallpapers were just worth talking about! So many bonus rewards! It's awesome. :smallsmile:

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-01, 07:38 PM
And just remember MoonCat, that currently it'll take a MASSIVE amount of pull-out to affect any of the books currently not in print.

If we'd been well publicised from the start etc, you could probably expect trolls and griefers; instead I think we have basically D and D fans committed to the comic and its success.

honigmuffin
2012-02-01, 07:42 PM
Hopefully, by the time we reach that last goal, I'll have gotten my estimate back from the printer and can put up the next big goal/incentive, which I think you're going to like.

I'd love this to be a wall calendar, maybe even an everlasting one (something along the lines of no weekdays assigned to the numbers). That would be AWESOME. :smallamused:

I should really go to bed… I can't wait for tomorrow's update! :smallbiggrin:

Flame of Anor
2012-02-01, 07:48 PM
I'd love this to be a wall calendar, maybe even an everlasting one (something along the lines of no weekdays assigned to the numbers). That would be AWESOME. :smallamused:

On dry-erase material, so you could fill in and erase the weekdays and appointments!

FafnerMorell
2012-02-01, 07:53 PM
With two of the new bonus items (stickers & notebook) requiring something that's mailed, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of $10 pledges jump up to $25 to take advantage of this new swag! I bumped up my pledge.

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-01, 07:55 PM
Fafner, so far at least 20 people have bumped their pledges - the $10 level has dropped by that, and that's not counting any new pledgers since update. I'm assuming they all raised their pledges for that very advantage :-)

Gwynfrid
2012-02-01, 07:56 PM
I'm kinda scared now that a few people mentioned several people removing their pledges in the last minute. :smallfrown:

But I quite like the comment about sense and reason. :smallbiggrin:

There's bound to be some depletion: cancelled credit cards, people being told off by their parents or SO, folks who got carried away in all the excitement only to realize they can't afford this much, etc. But certainly not enough to do real damage. I mean, there are well over 5000 backers, it would take a real exodus, like 100s of them, to make a serious dent in the total.

And anyway, Rich wouldn't place actual orders to the printer before the money is in the bank. So there's no risk to him either. That's the beauty of the Kickstarter concept.

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-01, 07:58 PM
Fafner, so far at least 20 people have bumped their pledges - the $10 level has dropped by that, and that's not counting any new pledgers since update. I'm assuming they all raised their pledges for that very advantage :-)

Chess435
2012-02-01, 08:26 PM
Judging by Belkar's expression, it looks as if things are about to get very......

:cool:

graphic.

In other news, we just took 8th place! :smallbiggrin:

seanpg71
2012-02-01, 08:31 PM
I really wish there was something more in the $50 - $150 range for those of us who have all the books already.

I started at $10 and have been bumping that up slowly to around the $50 that I'm at now because I want to support Giant, and frankly what we're now getting for $10 is ridiculous. I feel happy paying about the price I'd pay for a regular book for the pdf at this point.

There are a couple options above that that don't involve books, but they're all limited.

I understand that there aren't a whole lot of non-book things that he can add that have significan value, but whatever. This is a pledge drive, not a store. PBS gives you crappy mugs and tote bags.

It just feels weird to pledge some arbitrary amount without some award attached. But put up an option to throw a couple crayons in the box at $100 and I'd consider it.

MoonCat
2012-02-01, 08:33 PM
And just remember MoonCat, that currently it'll take a MASSIVE amount of pull-out to affect any of the books currently not in print.

If we'd been well publicised from the start etc, you could probably expect trolls and griefers; instead I think we have basically D and D fans committed to the comic and its success.

Mm. Thank goodness for that.

And anyway, Rich wouldn't place actual orders to the printer before the money is in the bank. So there's no risk to him either. That's the beauty of the Kickstarter concept.

Yeah, that's another good thing. I quite like Kickstarter because of this too.

jmucchiello
2012-02-01, 09:09 PM
I really wish there was something more in the $50 - $150 range for those of us who have all the books already.
I agree. I bumped up to the print just to get above $10.

Blackeagle
2012-02-01, 09:19 PM
With two of the new bonus items (stickers & notebook) requiring something that's mailed, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of $10 pledges jump up to $25 to take advantage of this new swag! I bumped up my pledge.

Yup. Same here. I may bump it again depending on what the mystery prize that the Giant is waiting to hear back from the vendor about is.

CDP
2012-02-01, 09:26 PM
Mine's been bumped up to the $25 dollar slot for a while.

I may increase it if something I can afford (which unfortunately the full-story autographed collections weren't despite the fact that I had every chance to snag one) pops up or we near the end of the drive and I want to show some extra appreciation for all Rich's hard work that he's putting into this.

Gwynfrid
2012-02-01, 09:47 PM

I started at $10 and have been bumping that up slowly to around the $50 that I'm at now because I want to support Giant, and frankly what we're now getting for $10 is ridiculous. I feel happy paying about the price I'd pay for a regular book for the pdf at this point.

There are a couple options above that that don't involve books, but they're all limited.

I understand that there aren't a whole lot of non-book things that he can add that have significan value, but whatever. This is a pledge drive, not a store. PBS gives you crappy mugs and tote bags.

It just feels weird to pledge some arbitrary amount without some award attached. But put up an option to throw a couple crayons in the box at $100 and I'd consider it.

Same here, I bumped to $25 since that was the highest non-book award I could get. Then as the bonuses kept coming, I ended up bumping to $50 while sticking to the $25 reward, just to mark my appreciation for the huge amount of work Rich is willing to (mostly) give away to fans irrespective of pledge level. Beyond that, I don't know... I keep hoping all those PDFs will get to print, and I don't mind waiting a year for that.

Balain
2012-02-01, 10:07 PM
I pledge to get the autographed copy of dungeon crawling fools. I have all the books already, but the cover of my copy is a bit beat up so figured a new autographed copy would be cool. If a good non book pledge level came up I would think about switching to it. Although I'm pretty happy with getting an autographed book too.

Just under $5,000 for stickers now. Woot.

SteveDJ
2012-02-01, 10:53 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but am hoping to pledge next week when funds are available.

But I have a question. Not sure if The Giant himself can answer, or if others here that have followed every message in this monstrous thread might have the answer already, but --

WHY, OH WHY is the $35 pledge level, for just a simple copy of the Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales book, a Limited Item? It is still available in other higher pledge levels (with other books I don't need).

You see, I have book 0, and book -1. So I was looking at pledging at two levels - the $139 level to get all 4 full-color books, and then an extra pledge to get the S, S & DT book - but alas it was marked limited and is now sold out. (If I didn't already have the other two, I'd just go for the 7-book complete set).

Could the Giant just increase the number of items available for that level? Or create a $34 pledge with the book, WITHOUT the magnet (making it a different reward)??

Savannah
2012-02-01, 10:57 PM
Mostly because he originally had an incorrect figure on how many copies of SS&DT were left. I'd pledge at the four full-color book level and message Rich (on Kickstarter), asking if you can add SS&DT to your order. It may take him a bit to get back to you, but if you can add it, he'll tell you how much to up your pledge by.

(Also, remember that you don't have to have the funds when you pledge, you need them when the Kickstarter is over.)

Exediron
2012-02-01, 11:05 PM
I'm very intrigued by Rich's repeated mentions of a Printer, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much...

Dang, didn't work; my hopes are already up. Anyway, I missed the 5,250 mark on pledges so I'm gonna wait until 5,500 to make a new tracking chart. It might even happen before I go to bed tonight, who knows.

manuelj
2012-02-01, 11:08 PM
Hi, Just wanted to tell that news of the kickstarter campaign have reached front page in Boing Boing (http://boingboing.net/2012/02/01/order-of-the-stick-dd-webcomi.html) As that site is Huge, I think this will bring a ton of new backers! Which means more money for Rich and and more record busting :)

bjornthedwarf
2012-02-01, 11:14 PM
Hi, Just wanted to tell that news of the kickstarter campaign have reached front page in Boing Boing (http://boingboing.net/2012/02/01/order-of-the-stick-dd-webcomi.html) As that site is Huge, I think this will bring a ton of new backers! Which means more money for Rich and and more record busting :)

I was literally just coming here to link to that! I would be the Courtney credited with the tip, I'm glad that Doctorow decided it was worth sharing, and doubly glad that I could do something to help spread the word. I would love to see how high this crazy train can go (to mix metaphors, or just imagine a flying train).

Shale
2012-02-01, 11:14 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but am hoping to pledge next week when funds are available.

Bear in mind, no matter when you pledge, the money isn't actually charged until the campaign ends on Feb. 21. So if you know the funds are going to be there in three weeks, there's no reason not to make the pledge now.

Helanna
2012-02-01, 11:37 PM
I'm still waiting to hear back from the vendor on the prize that I'm most excited about, which means that I was left trying to figure out what I would put as a midpoint prize between the reprint of Start of Darkness and that of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools. I had three fun ideas, but none of them really were quite strong enough on their own to serve as the reward at that level. So I did what anyone in my situation would do: I decided to give you all three.

Dear Rich,

In my opinion, you are now basically the best person ever. What's the tally now? A chance to get basically any OotS books you want, plus seven short stories, a magnet, wallpapers, and stickers, plus a mysterious awesome prize yet to be announced? And the comic itself has just been awesome lately. Yep. Definitely the best person ever.

I have bumped my pledge up $5 to reflect this. Ok, it doesn't do a great job of reflecting this, but I'm pretty broke so it's about all I can do. :smalltongue:

Smolder
2012-02-01, 11:58 PM
The Hit Point Pad is genius!

I want one so bad. I want it on my desk. Now.

Yes, I know I can't have it tonight. But I'm betting when I wake up in the morning, it will be waiting for me!

It's like Christmas morning. Except its every morning!

:smallbiggrin:

SaintRidley
2012-02-02, 12:07 AM
Well, there we go over the wallpapers and hello, stickers, my fiancee really wants your Redcloak but I told her she's going to have to donate for a book if she wants to get a Redcloak sticker of her very own because I want to keep my stickers on their sheet.

Pretty soon we'll be saying hello to the hit point pad, too.

Rich, you are like Santa only better.

Dragon Star
2012-02-02, 12:24 AM
Hmm, seems like we're slowing down a bit. I think we can still get to 375k by tomorrow though.

CloakedDancer
2012-02-02, 12:30 AM
Hmm, seems like we're slowing down a bit. I think we can still get to 375k by tomorrow though.

We usually slow down from about 5am-11am GMT. It happens.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-02, 01:17 AM

Also, we got freaking BoingBoinged. Slowdown? What slowdown?

SaintRidley
2012-02-02, 01:41 AM
Man, I'm still amazed at the number of signed books happening as a result of this. Rich is going to have writer's cramp.

Porthos
2012-02-02, 02:02 AM
Achievement Unlocked (Mini-Prize #2: The Order of the Stickers!)

Exactly at 11pm PST to boot (11pm 5,405 backers $375,018 pledged)

Feytalist
2012-02-02, 02:17 AM
This drive is nothing short of staggering. And we're barely a third of the way in!

Incredible.

That's all I wanted to say.

Terribad
2012-02-02, 02:18 AM
Hooray Stickersssssss!!!!

Exediron
2012-02-02, 03:19 AM
I upped my contribution to stay safely ahead of the rising average; if the average ever reaches my new pledge we'll have $1.19m, and I don't think even this drive will get that high :smallsmile:

I'll be going to bed in about an hour, and I expect that when I wake up the new chart will be a thing of the past.

Sadly, the note pad won't get here in time for me to finish writing room descriptions of the last stage of my latest mega-campaign on it, but maybe another one down the road. That might bring some luck to the resulting dungeon.

Tulya
2012-02-02, 04:57 AM
... I told her she's going to have to donate for a book if she wants to get a Redcloak sticker of her very own because I want to keep my stickers on their sheet.

And that would be why I'm not a fan of stickers. Loved them as a child, but experienced firsthand the heartbreak of them suffering wear and tear. To treasure them in the long term is to deny their adhesive heritage.

Hmm... unless perhaps a clear acrylic spray or finish? I guess there's plenty of time to experiment.

oball
2012-02-02, 05:09 AM
Just upped my pledge to $45 from $10 to get in on those stickers, and because I wanted a copy of SS&DT.

The 200 spaces at the $35 pledge level for SS&DT (plus $10 international shipping for me) were all taken when I looked the other day, but I was lucky enough to glance at the page just now after two people changed their pledges and left a couple of spots free.

Duskranger
2012-02-02, 05:13 AM
Just upped my pledge to $45 from $10 to get in on those stickers, and because I wanted a copy of SS&DT.

The 200 spaces at the $35 pledge level for SS&DT (plus $10 international shipping for me) were all taken when I looked the other day, but I was lucky enough to glance at the page just now after two people changed their pledges and left a couple of spots free.

Congrats.

I will need to check somethign later today. I used a pe-paid creditcard, but prolly there is not enough on it, so I will check if I can change it (the card, will cost me another card but hey), if not, well a second account on kickstarter will be made. And I will withdraw my pledge on the one, and add it on the other.
It would be easier if credit cards weren't an accepted method of payment :smallbiggrin:

Weimann
2012-02-02, 07:03 AM
Man, I'm still amazed at the number of signed books happening as a result of this. Rich is going to have writer's cramp.Compare to John Green of the vlogbrothers on Youtube. He promised to sign the entire pre-order of his latest novel, the Fault in Our Stars, and sure enough, he did.

All 150,000 of them.

Gullintanni
2012-02-02, 07:37 AM
So OotS has locked the 7th place slot now. We'd need to hit $557K to break the top 5. That's a distant goal. :smalleek:

Gwynfrid
2012-02-02, 08:29 AM
It's amazing to see the pledge rate accelerating again every time morning begins on the American East Coast. I've given up attempting to predict when growth is going to slow down - other than Feb 21st. :smallcool:

Xapi
2012-02-02, 08:33 AM
It's amazing to see the pledge rate accelerating again every time morning begins on the American East Coast. I've given up attempting to predict when growth is going to slow down - other than Feb 21st. :smallcool:

I just can't believe the rate at wich the money keeps pouring in all the time. This is amazing.

Xapi
2012-02-02, 08:40 AM
Actually, I'm going to correct myself.

What I can't believe isn't the rate, or even the amount of money raised.

What I truly find incredible is the fact that it jus DOESN'T STOP. If this amount of money were raised in the first five days, and then we'd see a dip in raising, I would have been pleasantly surprised.

But to have the money coming in so consistently over 11 days is just amazing.

The Succubus
2012-02-02, 08:49 AM
So OotS has locked the 7th place slot now. We'd need to hit $557K to break the top 5. That's a distant goal. :smalleek:

What do you mean, "distant"? :smalltongue:

Gullintanni
2012-02-02, 08:51 AM
What do you mean, "distant"? :smalltongue:

:smallamused:

I'm just happy that we'll be getting our notepads. I mean, we're not there yet, but we will be. I'm excited to see what the next big mystery reward is.

Squark
2012-02-02, 09:59 AM
So, <$4000 to the hit point pad...

bjornthedwarf
2012-02-02, 10:17 AM
Okay, I dropped the drive into slashdot this morning, see if it gets published. It's currently in the "recent submissions" list, if you have a /. account, you can vote it up or tag it, and hopefully help it make the front page!

http://slashdot.org/recent

SteveDJ
2012-02-02, 10:43 AM

But I have a question. Not sure if The Giant himself can answer, or if others here that have followed every message in this monstrous thread might have the answer already, but --

WHY, OH WHY is the $35 pledge level, for just a simple copy of the Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales book, a Limited Item? It is still available in other higher pledge levels (with other books I don't need).

You see, I have book 0, and book -1. So I was looking at pledging at two levels - the $139 level to get all 4 full-color books, and then an extra pledge to get the S, S & DT book - but alas it was marked limited and is now sold out. (If I didn't already have the other two, I'd just go for the 7-book complete set).

Could the Giant just increase the number of items available for that level? Or create a $34 pledge with the book, WITHOUT the magnet (making it a different reward)??

Ok, after a little closer examination - I've solved my own problem. :smallsmile:

I just need to pledge at the $68 level (to get SSDT + 1color), and then at the $78 level + 30 more (get 3 color). So count me in. In fact, I've already made the $68 pledge just now (had to get one of the remaining 3 slots...).

But a new question - how do I make a SECOND pledge? That is, I don't want to just "up" my pledge, because it doesn't seem to let me pick more than one reward at a time. :smallfrown: Instead, I want to pick TWO rewards (with a pledge total of $176, as I just outlined above).

Binks
2012-02-02, 10:46 AM
Okay, I dropped the drive into slashdot this morning, see if it gets published. It's currently in the "recent submissions" list, if you have a /. account, you can vote it up or tag it, and hopefully help it make the front page!

http://slashdot.org/recent

Went there to try and upvote it but I couldn't find it, do you have a direct link?

MReav
2012-02-02, 10:51 AM
Congrats Giant. A little over a third of the way there and you're already over 6.5 times the target. This proves how much we as your readers love you.

Don't stop being awesome.

Gullintanni
2012-02-02, 10:52 AM
Ok, after a little closer examination - I've solved my own problem. :smallsmile:

I just need to pledge at the $68 level (to get SSDT + 1color), and then at the $78 level + 30 more (get 3 color). So count me in. In fact, I've already made the $68 pledge just now (had to get one of the remaining 3 slots...).

But a new question - how do I make a SECOND pledge? That is, I don't want to just "up" my pledge, because it doesn't seem to let me pick more than one reward at a time. :smallfrown: Instead, I want to pick TWO rewards (with a pledge total of $176, as I just outlined above).

You have to create a second account I believe.

Smolder
2012-02-02, 10:58 AM
If Rich decides to try the OotS set of dice, I think it would be cool if, on the dice, they replace the highest number with the face of an OotS character (:elan: Critical hit! Yay) and the lowest number with their Linear Guild nemesis (:nale: Critical miss! Bwahaha!)

Tanuki Tales
2012-02-02, 11:01 AM
If Rich decides to try the OotS set of dice, I think it would be cool if, on the dice, they replace the highest number with the face of an OotS character (:elan: Critical hit! Yay) and the lowest number with their Linear Guild nemesis (:nale: Critical miss! Bwahaha!)

An Order of the Stick dice set?

Hot damn, I want some of that if he does make it.

Xapi
2012-02-02, 11:01 AM

You'll have to use a friend's/significant other account (or make a second one for yourself, I guess).

SteveDJ
2012-02-02, 11:09 AM

You'll have to use a friend's/significant other account (or make a second one for yourself, I guess).

I'm not so sure about a second account - that means a second email address, and since I used Facebook to 'sign in', another one of those (??), and then over at Amazon another account there? This could get quite messy.

I've fired off this dilemma to the KickStarter people directly - we shall see what they have to say (or is it in some FAQ somewhere?, I'm not that knowledgeable with KickStarter).

Using a friend's account only means I deny them the opportunity to pledge (and be rewarded) themselves.

bjornthedwarf
2012-02-02, 11:12 AM
Went there to try and upvote it but I couldn't find it, do you have a direct link?

Update: Nevermind, just found it:

http://slashdot.org/submission/1929001/dd-webcomic-order-of-the-stick-kickstarter

Not sure if you can affect it's status once it's dropped off the recent list, but it can't hurt to try.

Ignore this:

It's already dropped off, looks like it got downvoted some. I don't know if there is a direct link to /. submitted articles. I rarely submit or interact there, tend to just lurk, so I don't know all the ins/outs of their system.

Squark
2012-02-02, 11:12 AM
$1500 to go! Quick, Giant, figure out something new to motivate your insane fans!

The Glyphstone
2012-02-02, 11:13 AM
OotS dice would be fantastic. They'd go well with my Tagon dice.

The Valiant Turtle
2012-02-02, 11:15 AM
I pledged the total amount for everything I wanted and sent a msg to Rich via kickstarter with what I wanted. He said he can do that and would add a note to my order.

Absol197
2012-02-02, 11:15 AM
So, assuming we reach $390,000 by noon (which is pretty certain), that means in the first eleven days, we will have averaged $35,454 per day. If we keep that average going throughout the drive, we'll end up at

$1,063,636

Yes. Based on our average rate, we'll hit one million dollars.

EDIT: That's noon, mountain time, folks. That's where the day counter here switches over.

SteveDJ
2012-02-02, 11:27 AM
Update: Nevermind, just found it:

http://slashdot.org/submission/1929001/dd-webcomic-order-of-the-stick-kickstarter

Not sure if you can affect it's status once it's dropped off the recent list, but it can't hurt to try.

Ignore this:

It's already dropped off, looks like it got downvoted some. I don't know if there is a direct link to /. submitted articles. I rarely submit or interact there, tend to just lurk, so I don't know all the ins/outs of their system.

Perhaps the TITLE you chose wasn't compelling enough? I'd have wanted to get the word 'record-breaking' in there somehow...

But perhaps it was downvoted because it was seeking money (I don't know the /. site, either)

Duskranger
2012-02-02, 11:30 AM
So just taken care that the giant can actually take the money I pledged. I was afraid my other card was not big enough. So I took care of that. Now I can honestly say I know I have enough money and wil certainly get the 3 compilationbooks Yay.

bjornthedwarf
2012-02-02, 11:31 AM
Perhaps the TITLE you chose wasn't compelling enough? I'd have wanted to get the word 'record-breaking' in there somehow...

The original title was more compelling, but it was automatically truncated to what you see after I submitted it, didn't know the /. system would do that. I wanted D&D and the title at the start of the headline, as I thought that would possible get more attention from the right people than record breaking or Top 10. But that clearly backfired.

I think the /. community is open to compelling Kickstarter projects, I've seen some linked on there before, might just be luck of the draw on which editor looks at the submission and whether or not they are interested in that particular area.

SteveDJ
2012-02-02, 11:50 AM

Looking at the wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter#Top_projects_by_funds_raised) again, I notice at least in those top 10, only ONE had more supporters! It is too bad there isn't a sort to show that historical data - because right now, IMHO, I think OOTS would be right up there near the top!

CoffeeIncluded
2012-02-02, 12:06 PM
And the full size print run for Dungeon Crawlin' Fools (and the notepad) is a go!

EDIT: Heh, looks like I'm $100 too early. :smalltongue:

Flame of Anor
2012-02-02, 12:09 PM
They'd go well with my Tagon dice.

Hey, you too? High five!

Shale
2012-02-02, 12:12 PM
Well, in fifty-three dollars.

Sooooo close...

Edit: Drop the confetti! We funded EVERY FREAKING BOOK!

CloakedDancer
2012-02-02, 12:12 PM
Well, in fifty-three dollars.

Sooooo close...

Something like that. We're there.

Porthos
2012-02-02, 12:13 PM
Achievement Unlocked (Mini-Prize #3 : OOTS Hit Point Pad!)
Achievement Unlocked (Full Print Run [Dungeon Crawlin' Fools])

Chess435
2012-02-02, 12:13 PM
Achievement Unlocked - OOTS HP Pad and Dungeon Crawlin' Fools Reprint! :smallsmile:

Edit: Looks like I was ninja'd. By a ninja, no less. :smallconfused:

CloakedDancer
2012-02-02, 12:14 PM
Achievement Unlocked (Mini-Prize #3 : OOTS Hit Point Pad!)
Achievement Unlocked (Full Print Run [Dungeon Crawlin' Fools])

Your way of saying it makes it sound so much more exciting and fun! :smallsmile:

Squark
2012-02-02, 12:15 PM
Happy Dance time!

CoffeeIncluded
2012-02-02, 12:17 PM
Achievement Unlocked - OOTS HP Pad and Dungeon Crawlin' Fools Reprint! :smallsmile:

Now what?

...Hm. You know, that is a good question.

Funding the forum? Help Rich pay his mortgage? :smalltongue:

SteveDJ
2012-02-02, 12:17 PM
Back in Update #8, the Giant made a point that there wouldn't be any KickStarter collection for the forthcoming "Book 5" collection. Well, that was $140,000 ago...

Now that we've hit the goal to have ALL 4 books reprinted, there may be no choice but to somehow get Book 5 involved (put the goal at $500K if needed) After all - what else is there? :smallbiggrin:

...or, maybe a PRINT version of the Paladin story that was just supposed to be a PDF?

blackjack217
2012-02-02, 12:18 PM
Achievement Unlocked: Broken Graph

ella ventic
2012-02-02, 12:20 PM
Achievement Unlocked: Broken Graph

...for the fourth time, I think!

Edit: though technically I'd say we have to clear $391,000 or so to TRULY break this graph. So in the next, you know, couple hours. :smallbiggrin:

Shale
2012-02-02, 12:23 PM
Other possible goals:

Reserves to fund more printing after the newly-produced books run out.

A Kickstarter print collection. ("Book K")

Airfare and hotels for an international signing tour.

Porthos
2012-02-02, 12:24 PM
Your way of saying it makes it sound so much more exciting and fun! :smallsmile:

:smallbiggrin:

I like to imagine coming out of the computer speakers in a nice deep baritone, with an appropiate pause between "Achievement" and "Unlocked".

Also nice to see that so many people are using variations of it here and over on the Kickstarter page. :smallamused:

Forbiddenwar
2012-02-02, 12:32 PM
I count six titles ready to be reprinted.

But there are seven books. What about Snips and Snails? Is Rich drowning in copies of those? Is there no need for it to be reprinted? Or will it remain a once in a life time Ookoodook special?

Kobold-Bard
2012-02-02, 12:37 PM

But there are seven books. What about Snips and Snails? Is Rich drowning in copies of those? Is there no need for it to be reprinted? Or will it remain a once in a life time Ookoodook special?

Rich has said he won't be reprinting Snips. I forget why though, something about it being unfair to people who bought it when it came out, or something like that.

ella ventic
I think it's worth quoting again:

Reprinting Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales is not on the table, no matter how high this goes. I stated that I wouldn't do that, so I won't. It's an issue of trust. A lot of people suffered through very long delays in getting that book because I told them that if they didn't pre-order it, I couldn't guarantee that they would get a copy. To reprint it now would be a slap in the face to the fans that were willing to support me back then. That said, my last estimate is that we have plenty of copies left for this pledge drive, and that we would not run out until sometime after it.

Though I know of a lot of people (I'm one) who did the pre-orders and still wouldn't mind a reprint, it is very very hard to fault the Giant for keeping a promise he made and standing by his word.

Tanuki Tales

The latter.

Edit: I'd say "ninjaed" but we all posted at the exact same time. xD

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-02, 12:38 PM

He seemed to think he had enough of them; not sure if having to give out some 2000 of them to assorted pledges will make a dent (his words were "more than a thousand"). He has publicly said he intends to have it be a single-print run.

Grey Wolf

LightsOnNo1Home
2012-02-02, 12:42 PM

Rich said the other day that it won't happen. He promised when it was announced that SS&DT was a one time only thing, and he won't go back on it.

EDIT: ninja'd. 4 times. Yeesh.

@Ella Ventic: I'm the same. I had it preordered on day 1, and I wouldn't care if it was re-printed, but it makes sense why he wouldn't.

CDP
2012-02-02, 12:42 PM
Edit: Looks like I was ninja'd. By a ninja, no less. :smallconfused:

Better than being ninja'd by a pirate. :smalltongue:

Looking forward to whatever Rich uses to entice us next.

*Starts calling caterers for the 1000% party*

Shale
2012-02-02, 12:43 PM
He said a day or two ago (after the DSTP rewards went up) that he believes there are enough in stock to cover pledge rewards and still have some at the warehouse for further Ookoodook orders. Hopefully that bears out.

Chess435
2012-02-02, 12:45 PM
Next Reward: A Giant party! :smallwink: Pun very intended!

blackjack217
2012-02-02, 12:46 PM
I think its worth mentioning that the kickstarter drive is not on the oots Wikipedia page.

Chess435
2012-02-02, 12:47 PM
I think its worth mentioning that the kickstarter drive is not on the oots Wikipedia page.

Yet!

:elan:: Dun Dun DUNH!!!!

SteveDJ
2012-02-02, 12:57 PM
Rich said the other day that it won't happen. He promised when it was announced that SS&DT was a one time only thing, and he won't go back on it.

EDIT: ninja'd. 4 times. Yeesh.

@Ella Ventic: I'm the same. I had it preordered on day 1, and I wouldn't care if it was re-printed, but it makes sense why he wouldn't.

It is all about TRUST. Plus, consider this: Suppose he did reprint SS&DT (for whatever number of reasons). Now, the next time he needs to print something limited, conditioned on pre-orders, there will certainly be some people that will just figure "...I don't need it yet, it'll be reprinted someday..." thus cutting down on the needed pre-ordering.

VinRaven
2012-02-02, 01:06 PM
It is all about TRUST. Plus, consider this: Suppose he did reprint SS&DT (for whatever number of reasons). Now, the next time he needs to print something limited, conditioned on pre-orders, there will certainly be some people that will just figure "...I don't need it yet, it'll be reprinted someday..." thus cutting down on the needed pre-ordering.

Maybe he'd create a new big book by combing SS&DT with the PDFs he'll create as a result from this drive, that'd be interesting.

ZMiles
2012-02-02, 01:16 PM
Went for the $67 print-only special. And I'm predicting that we'll hit at least $500,000 by the end of the month. (I may upgrade to the $222 complete story special, if circumstances are willing).

Next reward: live action short! Or special OotS dice or chess pieces. Chess-piece Roy would be awesome.

jmucchiello
2012-02-02, 01:25 PM
Maybe he'd create a new big book by combing SS&DT with the PDFs he'll create as a result from this drive, that'd be interesting.
That surely would be more offensive to those who bought SS&DT and want the new PDFs in hard copy but now have to buy the SS&DT material a second time to get the PDFs printed.

honigmuffin
2012-02-02, 01:29 PM

An Order of the Stick dice set?

Hot damn, I want some of that if he does make it.

OotS dice would be fantastic. They'd go well with my Tagon dice.

Next reward: live action short! Or special OotS dice or chess pieces. Chess-piece Roy would be awesome.

^ THIS. Dice (or chess pieces, love the idea!) would be perfect, and I might even pledge for some extra sets to give as gifts.
(Also, Troll Bräu, you took the exact words right out of my mouth. :smallbiggrin:)

Sethala
2012-02-02, 01:33 PM
Personally, I'm curious about what might happen if he actually runs out of copies of SS&DT. I know he said he had enough, but that was back when the pledge was around 120-150k, and I'm not sure if he really planned on the pledges spiking up so dramatically. I know he said he doesn't want to reprint it, but if he promises more copies than he actually has, I don't think he'll really get a choice.

YohanLeafheart
2012-02-02, 02:24 PM
Or special OotS dice or chess pieces. Chess-piece Roy would be awesome.

Chess pieces? That, that, that is beautiful... Question is, who would it be? My suggestions:

Team Evil:
Pawns => Goblins
Rooks => Hobgoblins
Knights => Giant Mammoth
King => Xykon
Queen => Tsukiko
Bishops => Redcloak and MitD

I know that power wise Redcloak should be the queen, but I find it a bit strange...

OotS:
Pawns: Sapphire Guard
King => Roy
Queen => Halley
Bishops => V and Durkon
Knight => Elan on horse and Belkar on Winner dog?
Rooks => No idea

Either that or we would use Elan and Belkar for rooks, and Hinjo and Lien as the Knights. But we would also need a set for the linear guild of course. Another option would be have a set exclusive of the Sapphire Guard. But them we would need to think who to add on the OotS team

Linear Guild:
Pawns: A family of kobolds
King: Nale
Queen: Sabine
Bishops: Malaki and Hylga
Knights: Zzz-drizzzt and Pompey
Hooks: Togg and Tarkin

I mixed some of the new members here with the old ones

ZombieMaster
2012-02-02, 02:26 PM
Personally, I'm curious about what might happen if he actually runs out of copies of SS&DT. I know he said he had enough, but that was back when the pledge was around 120-150k, and I'm not sure if he really planned on the pledges spiking up so dramatically. I know he said he doesn't want to reprint it, but if he promises more copies than he actually has, I don't think he'll really get a choice.

He could just limit the SS&DT copies that can go out as rewards (given in order of pledge number, so early pledgers get preference).

That would be preferable to printing extra copies since, as others have said, it was originally a one-time printing and it wouldn't seem fair to do a second printing

YohanLeafheart
2012-02-02, 02:26 PM
Chess pieces? That, that, that is beautiful... Question is, who would it be? My suggestions:

Team Evil:
Pawns => Goblins
Rooks => Hobgoblins
Knights => Giant Mammoth
King => Xykon
Queen => Tsukiko

Another option for team evil would be the devil roaches as the rooks. Move MitD as one of the knights and add Jirix as the other Bishop

Chess435
2012-02-02, 02:30 PM
Also, at $392k, we've officially gone off the chart. :smallwink:

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-02, 02:30 PM
An OOTs-themed short D and D adventure as a bonus prize?

The gamers would like it, but lots of us don't actually play, so I don't know; same for dice in that regard; as noted the notepad has uses even for non-gamers.

Gullintanni
2012-02-02, 02:33 PM
Another option for team evil would be the devil roaches as the rooks. Move MitD as one of the knights and add Jirix as the other Bishop

Team Evil's Knights could be Wights for a splash of phonetic irony :smallwink:

The OotS Rooks could be Blackwing and Scruffy.

ZombieMaster
2012-02-02, 02:35 PM
An OOTs-themed short D and D adventure as a bonus prize?

That would mean even more drawing, and he's already committed himself to 7 bonus multi-strip comics (probably 80+ pages worth), as well as 65 one-page crayon sketches, stickers, etc. It's already a lot of work.

Given that he's waiting on an estimate from a printer, I think there's a very good chance the next reward line will be a physical printed book of all the bonus strips (when you add the 80+ pages already committed along with all the kickstarter graphs and updates etc, it's easily as big as OTOOPC's).

Bonus - it would presumably only go out to pledges of a high enough level to cover its printing cost, so a LOT of the $10 backers would have to increase their pledge to get it, resulting in a sudden massive boost to the pledge total. Lets say you needed to pledge $30 to get the book, and only 500 $10 pledgers decided they wanted it - their extra $20 each means another $10,000 added to the total immediately).

Gullintanni
2012-02-02, 02:38 PM
So...anyone else noticed that we're averaging one update per day? Going on our 12th chart. :smallamused:

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-02, 02:43 PM
Given that he's waiting on an estimate from a printer, I think there's a very good chance the next reward line will be a physical printed book of all the bonus strips (when you add the 80+ pages already committed along with all the kickstarter graphs and updates etc, it's easily as big as OTOOPC's).

I do not think it that likely. Rich does not know how long those stories are going to be, nor if they will be in colour or not. You cannot schedule a printing for a book "somewhere between 60 and 100 pages, some in blue, some in sepia, some in B&W, some in colour" and get an estimate of the cost.

Grey Wolf

Chess435
2012-02-02, 02:45 PM
So...anyone else noticed that we're averaging one update per day? Going on our 12th chart. :smallamused:

Rich is doing that on purpose. :smallwink:

Flame of Anor
2012-02-02, 02:59 PM

Team Evil:
Pawns => Goblins
Rooks => Hobgoblins
Knights => Giant Mammoth
King => Xykon
Queen => Tsukiko

I know that power wise Redcloak should be the queen, but I find it a bit strange...

OotS:
Pawns: Sapphire Guard
King => Roy
Queen => Halley
Bishops => V and Durkon
Knight => Elan on horse and Belkar on Winner dog?
Rooks => No idea

Either that or we would use Elan and Belkar for rooks, and Hinjo and Lien as the Knights. But we would also need a set for the linear guild of course. Another option would be have a set exclusive of the Sapphire Guard. But them we would need to think who to add on the OotS team

The Team Evil set is good. The good-guys set needs rearranging, though, like thus:

Hinjo and Lien should definitely be the knights, since they're mounted. Roy and Haley as king and queen makes sense, as they're the first and second in command of the Order (and Haley is female). Since Vaarsuvius and Durkon are the Tier 1s in the group, they should be the most powerful other characters--the rooks. That leaves Elan as queen-side bishop (next to Haley), and Belkar as king-side bishop (next to Roy). See how nicely that works out?

Smolder
2012-02-02, 03:08 PM
Chess pieces? My suggestions:

Team Evil:

What would a MitD figurine even look like? An umbrella with eyes?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-02, 03:08 PM
The Team Evil set is good. The good-guys set needs rearranging, though, like thus:

Hinjo and Lien should definitely be the knights, since they're mounted. Roy and Haley as king and queen makes sense, as they're the first and second in command of the Order (and Haley is female). Since Vaarsuvius and Durkon are the Tier 1s in the group, they should be the most powerful other characters--the rooks. That leaves Elan as queen-side bishop (next to Haley), and Belkar as king-side bishop (next to Roy). See how nicely that works out?

Almost right: Elan must be the King-side Bishop (with his best buddy Roy, if rationalisation is required) since that is the white bishop, while Belkar is definitely always-black bishop, and standing with Haley as he did during the Split party times. I am of course assuming the Good team is the white pieces.

Grey Wolf

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-02, 03:09 PM
APE just revealed in the comments thread:

APE Gamer 2 minutes ago

I should say, though, that instead of getting the OOTS game from Ookoodook right now, you might wait a bit as we're looking at some package that might make sense on this Kickstarter. There are some things we need to work through, though, so there's some chance the game won't show up here, too.

YohanLeafheart
2012-02-02, 03:11 PM

A block of black with a pink umbrella and the eyes.

Chess435
2012-02-02, 03:12 PM
It looks like the Kickstarter site is starting to have server problems from all the traffic. Just got a server error when trying to load a page. It worked when I refreshed, though.

SweetBB
2012-02-02, 03:15 PM

On the other hand, T-shirts, mugs, calendars, buttons, dice, messenger bags, etc. all need to be printed. So it could be just about anything OOTSified special for this drive! Can't wait for the update!!

Flame of Anor
2012-02-02, 03:16 PM

A block of black with a pink umbrella and the eyes.

Yeah, pretty much this. Sort of a frustum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frustum) of a cone, with the umbrella at the top, and the eyes just on the front.

Manga Maniac
2012-02-02, 03:21 PM
And now I've got an insatiable urge for a OotS chess set.

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-02, 03:27 PM
He could just limit the SS&DT copies that can go out as rewards (given in order of pledge number, so early pledgers get preference).

That would be preferable to printing extra copies since, as others have said, it was originally a one-time printing and it wouldn't seem fair to do a second printing

He could just print extra copies to cover for the drive (without saying) and then retract it from Ookoodook. Who'd really know?
And it would at most be a white lie. :smallsmile:

SweetBB
2012-02-02, 03:28 PM
Yeah, pretty much this. Sort of a frustum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frustum) of a cone, with the umbrella at the top, and the eyes just on the front.

Now I want a MITD figurine.

YohanLeafheart
2012-02-02, 03:30 PM

You are not the only one Manga. I was thinking, the OotS version of this http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=mario+chess+set&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6331987222060900208&sa=X&ei=9vEqT5r4MojftgeNu7zkDw&ved=0CDcQ8gIwAA . Now what I was thinking is, he could do 4 set of pieces, OotS, Team Evil, Linear Guild, Sapphire Guard. And put them individually on the packages. I would buy them all though.

Xapi
2012-02-02, 03:33 PM
He could just print extra copies to cover for the drive (without saying) and then retract it from Ookoodook. Who'd really know?
And it would at most be a white lie. :smallsmile:

The problem would be that it would be a very short print run, making it very expensive per copy.

honigmuffin
2012-02-02, 03:35 PM

I feel your pain. :smallwink:

On the printing front, I'm still rooting for a wall calendar. :smallamused:

Unisus
2012-02-02, 03:36 PM
Actually a chess set of OotS-characters is nothing i really want to see - most figures made from non-realistically drawn art are odd. I can't see figures made from the OotS having the appeal of the original drawn characters. And chess pieces like the ones in the OotS-game? not really...

The dice are a completely other thing *smile* Should Belkar be the d4 (as he's the smallest) or the d12 (as he is the only barbarian)?

Porthos
2012-02-02, 03:37 PM
Who'd really know?

Well, Rich would for one. And if he takes his whole "I gave my word" thing seriously, then he still wouldn't do it.

Moreover, there would be a notation in the book that this was a second printing. AFAIK printing companies don't "backdate" print notices (Read: Lie about what print run it is) just because one asks nicely. :smallwink:

ETA:::

At the risk of upsetting people about this, I would like to point out one little detail that is being overlooked slightly.

From what I recall, this book was supposed to only have enough copies to "last through the holiday season". For them to have nearly 2000 copies sitting around gathering dust might indeed show that demand for the product (outside of a hyped up atmosphere like this) wasn't in fact very great.

Which, if one recalls, was one of their initial concerns.

So Rich might very well have business reasons for sticking to his word as well (it ain't free to store these books, limits space for other books, et etc).

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-02, 03:44 PM
I don't get hy the Snips debate is still going....Rich has been more than clear. :smallconfused:

SaintRidley
2012-02-02, 03:47 PM
I don't get hy the Snips debate is still going....Rich has been more than clear. :smallconfused:

He has also been clear on things like Belkar being evil, but as you can see Rich being clear about something is about the last thing to stop debate about it.

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-02, 03:56 PM
Well, Rich would for one. And if he takes his whole "I gave my word" thing seriously, then he still wouldn't do it.

Moreover, there would be a notation in the book that this was a second printing. AFAIK printing companies don't "backdate" print notices (Read: Lie about what print run it is) just because one asks nicely. :smallwink:

ETA:::

At the risk of upsetting people about this, I would like to point out one little detail that is being overlooked slightly.

From what I recall, this book was supposed to only have enough copies to "last through the holiday season". For them to have nearly 2000 copies sitting around gathering dust might indeed show that demand for the product (outside of a hyped up atmosphere like this) wasn't in fact very great.

Which, if one recalls, was one of their initial concerns.

So Rich might very well have business reasons for sticking to his word as well (it ain't free to store these books, limits space for other books, et etc).

Well, I have no clue about what print companies do and don't do - but since it is a limited run I'd expect it wouldn't note 1'st edition on it. :smallsmile:

Douglas
2012-02-02, 03:57 PM
Actually, power wise Xykon should be the queen. It even sort of makes sense with him being a lich and therefore his death not actually being a final victory unless his phylactery (which is with Redcloak) is destroyed too. Sooo... Redcloak as the king?

Porthos
2012-02-02, 03:59 PM
Well, I have no clue about what print companies do and don't do - but since it is a limited run I'd expect it wouldn't note 1'st edition on it. :smallsmile:

It would still say Printed WhateverMonth 2012 instead of Printed WhateverMonth 2011 on the page that lists various techincal details.

Someone might notice. :smallwink:

Joran
2012-02-02, 04:05 PM
First mention of the pledge drive I saw on Twitter, a retweet from Felicia Day from Laughing Squid.

The Order of the Stick, The Highest Funded Comic on Kickstarter http://dlvr.it/18npWY

Uh oh... It's going to get even crazier now. Felicia Day has close to 2 million followers...

Corvus
2012-02-02, 04:14 PM
I've mentioned it on twitter as well. Sadly I'm 1,999,300 followers fewer than Felicia Day ;)

JustADecoy
2012-02-02, 04:15 PM

I understand Rich's concern. His heart is absolutely in the right place. But I just want to know:
Is there a single person in this thread that would object to a second printing?

I know a bunch of you have already said you don't mind. That's fine, and I share your position. Nobody needs to reply in the negative. What I want to know is if one single person does object. Once one person posts "Yes, I do!" then nobody else needs to reply in the affirmative. (Not that this will really prevent anyone, but I'm trying to minimize the damage to this thread.)

(Also, I know that the absence of an objection is not the same as unanimous consent. Don't bother explaining that to me. I'm just trying to answer a simple question, not wrangle over the deeper meaning of that question, the lack of an answer, or anything else from the "meta" department.)

Porthos
2012-02-02, 04:19 PM
I understand Rich's concern. His heart is absolutely in the right place. But I just want to know:

I know a bunch of you have already said you don't mind. That's fine, and I share your position. Nobody needs to reply in the negative. What I want to know is if one single person does object. Once one person posts "Yes, I do!" then nobody else needs to reply in the affirmative. (Not that this will really prevent anyone, but I'm trying to minimize the damage to this thread.)

(Also, I know that the absence of an objection is not the same as unanimous consent. Don't bother explaining that to me. I'm just trying to answer a simple question, not wrangle over the deeper meaning of that question, the lack of an answer, or anything else from the "meta" department.)

Someone over at the kickstarter page did indeed complain that he/she would be upset if Rich did this.

But please don't ask me to trawl through all the update post comments and the behemoth that is the main comment thread to find it. :smalltongue:

Tanuki Tales
2012-02-02, 04:19 PM
What I will say is the following:

1. I was personally proud that I pre-ordered Snips and was one of the select people to get a chance to buy a copy. In fact, when I saw it was a limited print run I wanted it even more because it would make the special Dragon strips even more special and that endeared them to me more as a fan.

2. I respect Rich's decision not to want to reprint the trade and that he feels that it's a matter of his personal trust to his consumers and fans.

Dein
2012-02-02, 04:23 PM

I think this is not so much about loyalty to the fans (like the whole thing with the limited gencon mangets), but, rather, the idea of reprinting book that has nothing to do with the story and is just some random stuff brought together, as a one-time thing. A print run of SSaDT is probably a lot smaller compared to other books, and the second one would be smaller still, which makes it not a very profitable idea, especially since, I imagine, this book is a lot less popular than the others.

Blisstake
2012-02-02, 04:24 PM

Yes. I would object.

The Glyphstone
2012-02-02, 04:26 PM
Sure, I'll object. Not on personal reasons, but just so Blisstake doesn't have to be alone.:smallsmile:

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-02, 04:26 PM
One mistake I've noticed people making concerning the idea the Giant has for whatever Mystery Prize comes next: he said he is waiting on word from the "vendor" not the "printer".

Make sure that your wild speculations take the proper wording into account! :smallwink:

Wrong, he says both. First vendor, then printer.

Edit: And for what its worth, I'd be slightly let down by a second run of SS&DT too. And I don't even own the book (yet).
I respect people who stand by what they say.

honigmuffin
2012-02-02, 04:28 PM
Guys, I just realised that if there ever was an OotS dice set, we'd either be one character (if you only count Roy, Haley, Elan, V, Durkon and Belkar) or one die (if you count Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy as well) short (assuming that one character = one die in a standard seven dice set). Hmm.

Absol197
2012-02-02, 04:28 PM

Ah...:smallredface:...Why, yes, he does in fact. Aren't my cheeks red!

ArtosSwiftblade
2012-02-02, 04:30 PM
Sure, I'll object. Not on personal reasons, but just so Blisstake doesn't have to be alone.:smallsmile:

Aww. I can entirely understand why people feel a reprint would be wrong. And I wonder why the issue is even raised considering Snips is still available; hardly suggesting a massive demand even with current 'limited edition' status...

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-02, 04:31 PM
Ah...:smallredface:...Why, yes, he does in fact. Aren't my cheeks red!

Now speculate on what word that was a "slip of the tongue".

Chess435
2012-02-02, 04:34 PM
Yes. I would object.

As would I. :smallsmile:

Binks
2012-02-02, 04:35 PM
Guys, I just realised that if there ever was an OotS dice set, we'd either be one character (if you only count Roy, Haley, Elan, V, Durkon and Belkar) or one die (if you count Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy as well) short (assuming that one character = one die in a standard seven dice set). Hmm.

Blackwing and Scruffy on a single die. Or Belkar and Scruffy on a single die (another argument for Belkar on the d12 :smallwink:)

D4 - V, wizard's hit die
D6 - Haley. Sneak attack die unless I'm mistaken.
D8 - Durkon? Can't think of a reason why.
D10 - Roy, d10 HD (as pointed out by Lord Ruby34 below)
D12 - Belkar/Scruffy. Barbarian HD.
D20 - Elan? Main character in a way, and highest charisma nets you most used die :smalltongue:.
D10 % - Blackwing. Since you often forget you have a % d10 until you need it.

Lord Ruby34
2012-02-02, 04:38 PM
Roy's sword actually hits for 2d6. He has d10 hit die though.

k_bukie
2012-02-02, 04:39 PM
First mention of the pledge drive I saw on Twitter, a retweet from Felicia Day from Laughing Squid.

The Order of the Stick, The Highest Funded Comic on Kickstarter http://dlvr.it/18npWY

Uh oh... It's going to get even crazier now. Felicia Day has close to 2 million followers...

Felicia Day noticed it? Well now the drive will finally start going.

squidbreath
2012-02-02, 04:44 PM
how'd it fly off the chart so soon?! again. :smalleek:

Unisus
2012-02-02, 05:02 PM
Roy's sword actually hits for 2d6. He has d10 hit die though.

And if i remember correctly (and if there have not been that big changes in the rules), Durkon should have d8 hit dice

Xapi
2012-02-02, 05:06 PM

Edit: And for what its worth, I'd be slightly let down by a second run of SS&DT too. And I don't even own the book (yet).
I respect people who stand by what they say.

Let's remember that a printer is not necesarily a BOOK printer.

We could be talking t-shirts, stickers, postcards...

Actually a postcard is not a bad idea.

The Derider
2012-02-02, 05:10 PM
Long time comic reader, first time poster. :)

I wanted to say that I am stunned by how many other people love this comic! I read a lot of webcomics and I am a HUGE comics dork, but this is my favorite comic with a running story. To see so many people donate to so he can support himself and let more people enjoy this story I enjoy so much... it just makes me happy. All six of the books in print at the same time? Seven whole new stories for donators? That's just fantastic!

I also wanted to say that I purchased a copy of SS&D and have donated to the drive. I am NOT saying he should reprint it! He has made himself completely clear on this and I am fine with that. That said, I would be very happy if at a later date, he reprinted the content of that book either in part as bonus features for later books, or in a different book with more content and a brand new name. I certainly don't want people to be forced to deal with the aftermarket in order to read these stories, and I feel it is selfish to be upset if they are eventually reprinted in a new, different book in some way.

Obligatory wishlist that I don't actually expect to be fulfilled: The crayon drawings included in a PDF format/bonus features in a later book (obviously reduced in scale for print), commentary on the donation drive stories from Mr. Burlew, an Order of the Scribble prequel in a couple of years, and for him to not get buried beneath all the stuff he has to sign for the fans!

uncool
2012-02-02, 05:37 PM
Currently we're sticking at top 7 on Kickstarter; another 90k to go if we want top 6, and 70k after that for top 5. Think we can make it?
=Uncool-

Flame of Anor
2012-02-02, 05:38 PM
I've mentioned it on twitter as well. Sadly I'm 1,999,300 followers fewer than Felicia Day ;)

Well, she has 1,883,140...

...You have negative 116,160 followers? :smalleek:

Kobold-Bard
2012-02-02, 05:40 PM
Currently we're sticking at top 7 on Kickstarter; another 90k to go if we want top 6, and 70k after that for top 5. Think we can make it?
=Uncool-

Given that we've got all the books back into print the Pledge Drive has served it's purpose. I can't see it going much higher, and if it did what would the money go towards?

SweetBB
2012-02-02, 05:43 PM
Long time comic reader, first time poster. :)

I wanted to say that I am stunned by how many other people love this comic! I read a lot of webcomics and I am a HUGE comics dork, but this is my favorite comic with a running story. To see so many people donate to so he can support himself and let more people enjoy this story I enjoy so much... it just makes me happy. All six of the books in print at the same time? Seven whole new stories for donators? That's just fantastic!

Welcome to the forums! This Kickstarter drive has been a wonderful wild ride, hasn't it?

honigmuffin
2012-02-02, 05:44 PM
D10 % - Blackwing. Since you often forget you have a % d10 until you need it.

This had me in stitches. :smallbiggrin:
And your assignment looks good :smallsmile: now the Giant only has to read it and then work his magic… oh, if only… :smallsigh:

Another idea, maybe easier to implement – playing cards. One suit for our heroes, one for Team Evil, one for the Linear Guild, and one for… the Order of the Scribble maybe? Also, one or two Hinjoker cards.

Shale
2012-02-02, 05:53 PM
Given that we've got all the books back into print the Pledge Drive has served it's purpose. I can't see it going much higher, and if it did what would the money go towards?

Even if the drive has served its original purpose, why would the Giant turn people away who want to give money? If nothing else it could go into a rainy-day fund and get used to reprint whichever book sells out first. And at this rate why would anyone who has $10 to spend and likes the comic not donate?

MaximKat
2012-02-02, 05:55 PM
It's like it's not even trying to slow down...

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-02, 05:56 PM
Even if the drive has served its original purpose, why would the Giant turn people away who want to give money? If nothing else it could go into a rainy-day fund and get used to reprint whichever book sells out first. And at this rate why would anyone who has $10 to spend and likes the comic not donate?

It's more how he will motivate them to pledge a lot of money without a clear goal. Up until know we've had those, so it probably depend on if he can fabricate some new ones.

WampaX
2012-02-02, 06:06 PM

Depends on how many copies those full print runs will produce.
He's not only fulfilling all of the reward levels for the drive, but he's also got orders from LGS owners, so he may need the extra cash to up the print runs (or have additional print runs).

Even if he's got all that covered, banking the funds toward the next print book would also be a good call.

CloakedDancer
2012-02-02, 06:15 PM

See, now I'm sure she would be perfect to play Haley if OotS ever did live action. (And no, you don't all have to tell me how much you hate the idea at once. You can take turns, nicely, and one at a time complain about a live action OotS and how horrible it would be. Maybe every other post or so.)

He's not only fulfilling all of the reward levels for the drive, but he's also got orders from LGS owners, so he may need the extra cash to up the print runs (or have additional print runs).

Even if he's got all that covered, banking the funds toward the next print book would also be a good call.

He could always set a goal on the chart for how much it would take to fund the next book without adding the book itself to the rewards.

keldorn
2012-02-02, 06:15 PM
And if i remember correctly (and if there have not been that big changes in the rules), Durkon should have d8 hit dice

And, more importantly, the party band aid rolls d8s when curing people.

DougTheHead
2012-02-02, 06:22 PM

I for one would be fine with everything north of $400k going into a "make sure Rich Burlew has long-term financial security" fund. If a guy can inspire this much enthusiasm in his work, he deserves it.

Everything north of $500k would of course go into a similar but separate "Make Rich Burlew's first name reflect his financial situation" fund. Though if that got too high he would have to stop bathing.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-02, 06:22 PM
See, now I'm sure she would be perfect to play Haley if OotS ever did live action. (And no, you don't all have to tell me how much you hate the idea at once. You can take turns, nicely, and one at a time complain about a live action OotS and how horrible it would be. Maybe every other post or so.)

Nah, it could be cool! NPH for Elan, natch.

Chess435
2012-02-02, 06:25 PM
I for one would be fine with everything north of $400k going into a "make sure Rich Burlew has long-term financial security" fund. If a guy can inspire this much enthusiasm in his work, he deserves it.

Everything north of $500k would of course go into a similar but separate "Make Rich Burlew's first name reflect his financial situation" fund. Though if that got too high he would have to stop bathing.

I honestly wouldn't mind this. Though we should get the server upgraded first. :smallwink:

Edit: We're just about at $400k now!

jmucchiello
2012-02-02, 06:30 PM
I also wanted to say that I purchased a copy of SS&D and have donated to the drive. I am NOT saying he should reprint it! He has made himself completely clear on this and I am fine with that.
I was annoyed when he first said SS&DT would be limited edition material. Why should future OOTS fans be denied access to this material when it goes out of print? Yes, he made himself clear. But I don't see why people are uptight about him putting the product out a second time. Did anyone who bought it really think they were getting something MORE valuable because it was limited edition? I don't get it.

That said, I would be very happy if at a later date, he reprinted the content of that book either in part as bonus features for later books, or in a different book with more content and a brand new name.
Now this I would object to. I don't want to buy the contents of SS&DT twice in order to get the other material in these hypothetical new books. That is space that could have been new content or it is added cost to a book that could have been shorter/cost less.

jmucchiello
2012-02-02, 06:33 PM
Team Evil:
Pawns => Goblins
Rooks => Hobgoblins
Knights => Giant Mammoth
King => Xykon
Queen => Tsukiko

Nah, make the various Elementals Redcloak is famous for the Knights.

The Derider
2012-02-02, 06:35 PM
I was annoyed when he first said SS&DT would be limited edition material. Why should future OOTS fans be denied access to this material when it goes out of print? Yes, he made himself clear. But I don't see why people are uptight about him putting the product out a second time. Did anyone who bought it really think they were getting something MORE valuable because it was limited edition? I don't get it.

Now this I would object to. I don't want to buy the contents of SS&DT twice in order to get the other material in these hypothetical new books. That is space that could have been new content or it is added cost to a book that could have been shorter/cost less.

I wish it hadn't been limited edition either, but... well, to put it in DnD terms, we've got an LG comic writer and a lot of NG/CG fans. I don't want to buy things twice either. But he is obviously concerned with keeping his word, which is one hundred percent understandable, and I want the contents of the book to be available for everyone. It's quite obviously not a perfect solution. But it is a solution that would allow the content to be available for everyone in print form, which is what concerns me more than having to pay a little more.

Roland St. Jude
2012-02-02, 06:36 PM
Aww. I can entirely understand why people feel a reprint would be wrong. And I wonder why the issue is even raised considering Snips is still available; hardly suggesting a massive demand even with current 'limited edition' status...

Sheriff of Moddingham: Indeed. Please drop the SSDT reprint debate. It's not really the subject of this thread nor is it really up for debate.

Also, please take the casting of a live action OotS to a new thread. There's probably already an active thread.

And now, back to the merry-making.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-02, 06:37 PM
I (as a pre-orderer) wouldn't be against a reprint of SS&DT at some point, but probably a several-years-from-now point.

madheadshrinker
2012-02-02, 06:39 PM
I've had a google search saved on "Order of the Stick" to see if anymore articles are written about it. A nice high profile piece could drive a bunch of more people to check it out. I submitted a link to BoingBoing today about it. BB tends to like Kickstarter projects, and Doctorow is always interested in stories of authors/artists trying stuff like this.

You were successful!

http://boingboing.net/2012/02/01/order-of-the-stick-dd-webcomi.html

Also still on the front page, wow.

Weimann
2012-02-02, 06:40 PM
Hey Roland. Maybe you could make a new thread? This one is too long already.

Gwynfrid
2012-02-02, 06:40 PM
.. we've got an LG comic writer and a lot of NG/CG fans.

Yes. An excellent way to put it.

And we also have a LN moderator. With a lot of firepower. So, things are exactly the way they should be. :smalltongue:

SweetBB
2012-02-02, 06:50 PM
$400k!!! We hit $400k!!!!!! :D

The Derider
2012-02-02, 06:50 PM
We have officially hit $400,000! I have a screenshot of it exactly on the mark but I don't know how to upload it to the board.

Edit: So I won't!
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/captureqav.png/

k_bukie
2012-02-02, 06:51 PM
Well, $404,250 would be 700% of the original goal, so...I guess that's next?

ZombieMaster
2012-02-02, 06:53 PM
400K! Woot!

Half a million looks like a very reachable goal now.

CheesePirate
2012-02-02, 07:02 PM
http://cheesepirate.com/tmp/400k.jpg

Wohoo! http://cheesepirate.com/forums/images/smilies/goblorc_jump_2.gif

The Derider
2012-02-02, 07:09 PM
How d'you do tha, lad, with th' pictures?

Also, the bracers are 640,000gp. If we get that far we really ought to get them in the comic.

ORione
2012-02-02, 07:15 PM

put direct link to image here

CheesePirate
2012-02-02, 07:15 PM
How d'you do tha, lad, with th' pictures

Lady http://cheesepirate.com/forums/images/smilies/goblorc_wink.png

When writing a post you click the little yellow icon that looks like a picture of a mountain with a sun, if you hover over it with your mouse pointer it will say "Insert Image" - click it and it asks for the url of the image, just paste the url and hit ok and it should work.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-02, 07:16 PM

Also, the bracers are 640,000gp. If we get that far we really ought to get them in the comic.

[ímg] http://flickr-or-imgur-or-something.com/picture-URL.jpg [/ímg]

Except with a real "i" in the img brackets.

The Derider
2012-02-02, 07:18 PM
Thank you. :)

Bracers of Dexterity, here we come?

Agnostik
2012-02-02, 07:34 PM
Pledged for the whole print-only run reward (comes with a free warm fuzzy feeling). Hopefully our notorious national post service won't screw this up. :smalleek:

Dragonstar
2012-02-02, 08:15 PM
Just pledged in at the $25 level. I wish I could afford more for the amount of joy this comic brings, but I give what I can. :smallwink:

Chess435
2012-02-02, 08:27 PM
Oh, and the +8 Bracers (of armor) are only 64k. We got there awhile ago. :smalltongue:

Rusty
2012-02-02, 09:05 PM
How, now the OotS can afford a Gate Key. :D

Krizak
2012-02-02, 09:10 PM
Oh, and the +8 Bracers (of armor) are only 64k. We got there awhile ago. :smalltongue:

That's 64k of gold coins. Since recent editions of D&D maintain that 50gp weigh a pound, we're dealing with coins that weigh 0.32oz each, so at the current price for gold, we still have a ways to go before we raise the $35,969,024 necessary for Haley's +8 bracers.

I know we can do it, though!

JustADecoy
2012-02-02, 09:10 PM
As far as I can tell from Kickstarter's 2011 Stats review (http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/2011-the-stats), our 5,758 current backers exceed anything seen in 2011:

The most popular rewards of 2011 were the Cosmonaut (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danprovost/the-cosmonaut-a-wide-grip-stylus-for-touch-screens?ref=live) (variable price, 5,623 backers) and the Coffee Joulies (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/705847536/coffee-joulies-your-coffee-just-right?ref=live) ($40, 4,246 backers).

Just another milestone to celebrate. Congratulations everybody!

Chess435
2012-02-02, 09:13 PM
That's 64k of gold coins. Since recent editions of D&D maintain that 50gp weigh a pound, we're dealing with coins that weigh 0.32oz each, so at the current price for gold, we still have a ways to go before we raise the $35,969,024 necessary for Haley's +8 bracers.

Darn your nitpicking! :smalltongue:

turkishproverb
2012-02-02, 09:19 PM

I don't know, gold seems a lot more common in D&d than in the real world...

Gullintanni
2012-02-02, 09:20 PM

Cursed inflation :smallyuk::smalltongue:

The Derider
2012-02-02, 09:38 PM
Not the Bracers of Armor +8!

The Bracers of Dex +8.

MammonAzrael
2012-02-02, 09:42 PM
Not the Bracers of Armor +8!

The Bracers of Dex +8.

Gloves of Dexterity +8 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#glovesofEpicDexterity) are epic items, and cost 640,000 gold. Haley was certainly referring to bracers of armor in the second graph. :smallsmile:

thepsyker
2012-02-02, 09:43 PM

I know we can do it, though!And that is still allot better than in 1st edition where 10gc weighed in at a pound of gold. Actually had to figure out an exchange rate for D&D gc to British pounds recently after a cursed scroll* transported my, high level for first, party to London during the turn of the millennium. I'm not the one keeping the party treasury, but it worked out to the party having several million GBP in gold to buy their way out of misunderstandings relating to cultural differences and load up on modern equipment to let them blend in. Ah good times.:smallbiggrin:

*The DM used the scroll result as an excuse to run a modified version of the City behind the Gate, I believe it was called, from Dragon 100.

Mary
2012-02-02, 09:46 PM
Wow, that make me think of THAC0! D20 is ever so much better

YohanLeafheart
2012-02-02, 09:53 PM
Am I the only waiting for an update from Rick so he can get more of my money?

Mary
2012-02-02, 09:56 PM
Meekly... Noooooo

keldorn
2012-02-02, 09:58 PM
700% is up and it's almost 3am here. So I'm not waiting any more.

Chess435
2012-02-02, 10:04 PM
Am I the only waiting for an update from Rick Rich so he can get more of my money?

Fixed that for ya'. :smallamused:

Forbiddenwar
2012-02-02, 10:28 PM
Am I the only waiting for an update from Rick so he can get more of my money?

an update from Rick so he can

Rick

What have you done? You broke the seals keeping the dreaded demon Rick Baker back. There is no hope!
Roland save us!

Advance Strat..
2012-02-02, 10:37 PM
Wouldn't that be completely seperate from the dreaded Rich Baker though?

YohanLeafheart
2012-02-02, 10:48 PM
What have you done? You broke the seals keeping the dreaded demon Rick Baker back. There is no hope!
Roland save us!

Dammit, there isn't a ninja emoticon I can use. You saw through my ruse, that was a call for Wampa!

Redwizard26
2012-02-02, 11:00 PM
umm... can I get some help with this I need snip snails dragon tails,on the origin of pcs, and don't split the party. is there a way to do this?

YohanLeafheart
2012-02-02, 11:06 PM
umm... can I get some help with this I need snip snails dragon tails,on the origin of pcs, and don't split the party. is there a way to do this?

Your best bet I think is to go to level Pledge $67 or more. And message Rich through kickstarter to ask how to change Start of Darkness for Don't split the party

SaintRidley
2012-02-02, 11:11 PM
Your best bet I think is to go to level Pledge $67 or more. And message Rich through kickstarter to ask how to change Start of Darkness for Don't split the party

Alternately choose the $87 pledge and ask Rich if you can change War and XPs for Don't Split the Party.

Sethala
2012-02-02, 11:12 PM

Your best bet is to PM Rich on Kickstarter, tell him what you want, and ask how much to pledge for it. If you want to pledge something for now, I'd suggest the $62 Pick Two envelope; you can always change your pledge dollar amount and reward later.

Might want to wait a few days to message him though, as he said he's having trouble keeping ahead of all the message requests.

EmperorSarda
2012-02-02, 11:14 PM
And apparently the Wiki mods have decided to be spiteful and take the OoTS pledge off the top 10 and put it into a current drive section.

Redwizard26
2012-02-02, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys I originally contributed only $10 and was hoping to pledge more. I'll wait until tomorrow and send him a PM. I hope that it works.

SaintRidley
2012-02-02, 11:28 PM
And apparently the Wiki mods have decided to be spiteful

Are they ever anything else?

and take the OoTS pledge off the top 10 and put it into a current drive section.

Well, less than three weeks and it'll go back in there, so no worries.

Also, we're nearing the $20,000 overage on the all books reprinted fully level.

And we made it there without knowing what lies beyond.

WampaX
2012-02-02, 11:32 PM
Dammit, there isn't a ninja emoticon I can use. You saw through my ruse, that was a call for Wampa!

Rick Burlew was never a threat, the benevolent half of the unholy union. It actually helped act as emissary between Rick and Rich to combat the Rich Baker. It turned out to be a coward and fled into the wilderness surrounding the Playground once the fighting began.

When the war was over, it seems to now continue the role of diplomat. In recent years, its begun to slack off. 4ed took its toll of people wanting to be guest writers. Its last coup was getting Rick Baker to write one final article before it once again faded into the wilderness. No one has seen it since.

So really, if you are waiting for Rick Burlew to update? That's going to be a long wait.

CloakedDancer
2012-02-03, 12:18 AM
Rick Burlew was never a threat, the benevolent half of the unholy union. It actually helped act as emissary between Rick and Rich to combat the Rich Baker. It turned out to be a coward and fled into the wilderness surrounding the Playground once the fighting began.

When the war was over, it seems to now continue the role of diplomat. In recent years, its begun to slack off. 4ed took its toll of people wanting to be guest writers. Its last coup was getting Rick Baker to write one final article before it once again faded into the wilderness. No one has seen it since.

So really, if you are waiting for Rick Burlew to update? That's going to be a long wait.

Personally I'm just waiting for the real Rich Burlew to update. I want to know what happens next in the graph story. :smallsmile: And if we're going by HAST, it's still not too late for a late afternoon update.

Yendor
2012-02-03, 12:54 AM
Update time! No new goal yet, but images of the stickers and pads.

SaintRidley
2012-02-03, 12:58 AM
There are some words next to each character sticker. Can't make them out though.

Sethala
2012-02-03, 01:20 AM
I'm a little confused by his comment about another update "today", at about 6 PM if not earlier, but it's midnight, so 6 PM was a while ago...

Or does he mean "today" as in "Friday, since it's technically past midnight on the east coast"?

SaintRidley
2012-02-03, 01:22 AM
I'm a little confused by his comment about another update "today", at about 6 PM if not earlier, but it's midnight, so 6 PM was a while ago...

Or does he mean "today" as in "Friday, since it's technically past midnight on the east coast"?

You have it right there.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-03, 01:23 AM
There are some words next to each character sticker. Can't make them out though.

I can read "The Order of the Stick - ers!" and "Check it out!" but not the tiny ones.

Yendor
2012-02-03, 01:24 AM

I think they're the characters names. As if we didn't know them. :smalltongue: And what may be ™.

darkelf
2012-02-03, 02:10 AM
damnit to the nine hecks. need that hp pad.

RMS Oceanic
2012-02-03, 02:19 AM
damnit to the nine hecks. need that hp pad.

Buying the poster would be the simplest way to procure it.

factotum
2012-02-03, 02:37 AM
As far as I can tell from Kickstarter's 2011 Stats review (http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/2011-the-stats), our 5,758 current backers exceed anything seen in 2011:

Just another milestone to celebrate. Congratulations everybody!

Those stats indicate the most popular *rewards*, not the most popular projects...if you put our drive in there, its most popular reward would score a rather paltry 1408 (the $10 level).

And apparently the Wiki mods have decided to be spiteful and take the OoTS pledge off the top 10 and put it into a current drive section.

It's hardly spiteful--given that the actual return from a Kickstarter drive is not guaranteed until it closes (people can drop out, lower their pledges etc) then it makes no sense putting drives that are still on-going into the "top ten of all time" section. If they'd just deleted it without creating that extra section, then *that* might have been spiteful!

JustADecoy
2012-02-03, 03:00 AM
Those stats indicate the most popular *rewards*, not the most popular projects...if you put our drive in there, its most popular reward would score a rather paltry 1408 (the $10 level).

You're absolutely correct. The numbers are not what I thought they were. Thanks for pointing that out.

We're currently 337 backers away from exceeding Cosmonaut's total backer count (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danprovost/the-cosmonaut-a-wide-grip-stylus-for-touch-screens?ref=live). Unfortunately, I have no idea if they're really the most popular project by raw backer count. Anyone have a better source for that info?

Corvus
2012-02-03, 03:03 AM
Well, she has 1,883,140...

...You have negative 116,160 followers? :smalleek:

Some days it feels that way ;)

I was just going by the 2 million that someone mentioned she had as followers.

Gullintanni
2012-02-03, 07:17 AM
Hrm. Getting curious about the Giant's next mystery prize. Especially given how much he insists we'll all like it. He's usually pretty accurate in that department.

Xapi
2012-02-03, 07:54 AM
Hrm. Getting curious about the Giant's next mystery prize. Especially given how much he insists we'll all like it. He's usually pretty accurate in that department.

I'm even MORE excited becuase he usually underestimates hom much we love everything he does.

What he considered to be three prizes that were "not strong enough (...) at that level" got us all psyched.

So I can't wait to know what it is that even HE is actually psyched about!

keldorn
2012-02-03, 08:01 AM
It's hardly spiteful--given that the actual return from a Kickstarter drive is not guaranteed until it closes (people can drop out, lower their pledges etc) then it makes no sense putting drives that are still on-going into the "top ten of all time" section. If they'd just deleted it without creating that extra section, then *that* might have been spiteful!

And it wasn't the "Wikimedia mods" anyway. Some of the administrators are capable of spite, but this was an ordinary Wikipedia contributor who I suspect is an OOTS fan, given how few edits he/she has made.

Xapi
2012-02-03, 08:02 AM
You're absolutely correct. The numbers are not what I thought they were. Thanks for pointing that out.

We're currently 337 backers away from exceeding Cosmonaut's total backer count (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danprovost/the-cosmonaut-a-wide-grip-stylus-for-touch-screens?ref=live). Unfortunately, I have no idea if they're really the most popular project by raw backer count. Anyone have a better source for that info?

Checking the other most pledged for rewards of 2011 and the current top ten pledged from the wiki page, we're at best at position #4 in number of backers, behind TikTok (13.512) -the most funded project ever-, the ongoing Elevation Dock (currently sitting at 7.755) and The Cosmonaut (6.192). Pretty close to the top three, unless there are other projects I'm missing.

Xapi
2012-02-03, 08:03 AM
And it wasn't the "Wikimedia mods" anyway. Some of the administrators are capable of spite, but this was an ordinary Wikipedia contributor who I suspect is an OOTS fan, given how few edits he/she has made.

It makes sense to do it this way though. The page was being edited for amount pledged every 5 minutes. Wikipedia is not a news site.

keldorn
2012-02-03, 08:09 AM
Checking the other most pledged for rewards of 2011 and the current top ten pledged from the wiki page, we're at best at position #4 in number of backers, behind TikTok (13.512) -the most funded project ever-, the ongoing Elevation Dock (currently sitting at 7.755) and The Cosmonaut (6.192). Pretty close to the top three, unless there are other projects I'm missing.

There could be something hidden somewhere. After all, you only need $10K in donations to achieve 10K donors. I think the music or film and video sections may be particularly suspect. So far I have laboriously gone through all the art projects with over 10K income and ruled them out. There were three different Trojan Horse projects in there.

keldorn
2012-02-03, 08:12 AM
It makes sense to do it this way though. The page was being edited for amount pledged every 5 minutes. Wikipedia is not a news site.

You aren't a Wikipedian are you. You seem to be referring to WP:NOTNEWS there.

The five minute updates of the OOTS total was not ideal. But it was the fact that the people couldn't be bothered to update the elevation dock figures at the same time which made it poor.

Gullintanni
2012-02-03, 08:19 AM

I agree. Once the drive is done, then it should be moved into the Top 10 based on its established position.

Xapi
2012-02-03, 08:30 AM
You aren't a Wikipedian are you.
Just a reader, have only edited minor things that I was very certain on once or twice.

You seem to be referring to WP:NOTNEWS there.

If I was, I swear I didn't mean to :P

The five minute updates of the OOTS total was not ideal. But it was the fact that the people couldn't be bothered to update the elevation dock figures at the same time which made it poor.

Does it really make sense to update a Wikipedia page every 5 minutes or so?

It'd be like updating the result of a football match real time, it doesn't make much sense to me...

ella ventic
2012-02-03, 09:43 AM
It looks like new copies of SS&DT have been added to the $35 pledge level! Which is great, because now I can get that pledge level for a friend; it's the only book she's missing and I am really--like in an unhealthily gleeful way-- looking forward to telling her nothing and merely sending her a mystery package that, when she opens it, will spill forth all the OOTS goodies thus far. :smallbiggrin:

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-03, 10:33 AM
It looks like new copies of SS&DT have been added to the $35 pledge level! Which is great, because now I can get that pledge level for a friend; it's the only book she's missing and I am really--like in an unhealthily gleeful way-- looking forward to telling her nothing and merely sending her a mystery package that, when she opens it, will spill forth all the OOTS goodies thus far. :smallbiggrin:

While that does amusing, maybe you should first quietly enquire to see if she has already taken matters into her own hands and pledged to get it too.

GW

ella ventic
2012-02-03, 10:44 AM
Well, she doesn't have access to a regular internet connection so I'm assuming I'm good. :) Though I have been wondering whether the surprise of the gift is enough to compensate for not telling her about all the fun we've been having here! (But once again, no internet connection means that she couldn't participate or even follow along... so surely the gift is better?)

fishboy
2012-02-03, 10:58 AM
I wish I had friends as awesome as ella :smallbiggrin:

Unisus
2012-02-03, 11:21 AM
Ok, we're above 420k now - and only a few backers below 6k - this is totally insane - and totally awesome...

Shale
2012-02-03, 11:21 AM
A hint of what's coming from Rich in the update comments:

I'll likely add a x5 prize pack sometime soon, probably after the next goal is announced and nigh-immediately surpassed. It would let you get five each of the stickers, notepads, magnets, and the next thing that's coming. So just keep an eye out for it.

keldorn
2012-02-03, 11:25 AM
Does it really make sense to update a Wikipedia page every 5 minutes or so?

It'd be like updating the result of a football match real time, it doesn't make much sense to me...

You're right that it doesn't make sense but Wikipedia suffers from bouts of behaviour like this. The day Michael Jackson died was an extreme example.

DougTheHead
2012-02-03, 11:45 AM
Wow! We're coming up fast on 6000 backers!

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-03, 12:03 PM
I'm ambivalent about this Rescale Graph spell V is casting... on one hand, I see the necessity of it... on the other, I'm going to miss the rush of having to scroll down two whole screens to get to the bottom of this awesome graph. It won't be the same if it is rescaled to half its height (if scaled to $20k per step) or a fifth (if 50k per step), and specially with a much shorter, much more diagonal line. I like the ridiculously vertical line we have going.

Grey Wolf

Weimann
2012-02-03, 12:12 PM
Personally, I am for using the spell. Graphs look neater when the line is about at a 45 degree angle, in my mind.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-03, 12:21 PM
Personally, I am for using the spell. Graphs look neater when the line is about at a 45 degree angle, in my mind.

I agree, in general, with that statement. If I remember my history, that's one of the reasons why log graphs were developed, so they could still be plotted in a ~45º angle even when the data was exponential. So yes, my geeky/graph nazi side of my mind is very much in favour of a graph that fits in a single screen.

But then there is the specifics of this situation. This is a graph about money. Piling up. At an astounding rate. Enough that soon Rich will be able to behave like Haley (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0188.html). The graph should do justice to this, my other half (the one that is giddy with the excitement of it all) insists.

Grey Wolf

jmucchiello
2012-02-03, 12:24 PM
How are the graphs going to fit in the PDFs if they aren't rescaled? :smallsmile:

Unisus
2012-02-03, 12:24 PM

Not only that - imagine these graphs really published in a book. They would either have to be cut to be spread about some pages or scaled down so you could hardly read the speech bubbles. Or third (which would be my favorite) the book would have to have pages to fold out vertically...

Gullintanni
2012-02-03, 12:28 PM
I like the ridiculously vertical line we have going.

Grey Wolf

Yes. Exactly this.

Xapi
2012-02-03, 12:41 PM
Well, she doesn't have access to a regular internet connection so I'm assuming I'm good. :) Though I have been wondering whether the surprise of the gift is enough to compensate for not telling her about all the fun we've been having here! (But once again, no internet connection means that she couldn't participate or even follow along... so surely the gift is better?)

The gift is definitely better. You could do a quick search over the backers to see if you find her there, just in case she had a little while online and seized the opportunity.

SaintRidley
2012-02-03, 01:17 PM
Not only that - imagine these graphs really published in a book. They would either have to be cut to be spread about some pages or scaled down so you could hardly read the speech bubbles. Or third (which would be my favorite) the book would have to have pages to fold out vertically...

I'm sure graph nerds would salivate at the opportunity to have these graphs as centerfold images.

MurkyMajare
2012-02-03, 01:56 PM
6000 backers now.

SteveDJ
2012-02-03, 02:30 PM
It would be interesting if the "Rescale Graph" just shrunk the whole thing - not just vertically, but horizontally as well, keeping the slope of the line intact.

Or, maybe it just shrinks by a few pixels, leaving V puzzled at what went wrong with the spell... :smallsmile:

(Or better, it rescales LARGER - the spell didn't specify which direction to scale... :smallbiggrin: )