PDA

View Full Version : The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Forbiddenwar
2012-02-07, 08:38 AM
I wish I could increase my pledge to get more pads and stickers, especially more stickers, but I don't want to give up my signed art print. I have added extra for a second coloring book. I hope a similar option will happen for stickers and HP pads.

Kobold-Bard
2012-02-07, 08:47 AM
I wish I could increase my pledge to get more pads and stickers, especially more stickers, but I don't want to give up my signed art print. I have added extra for a second coloring book. I hope a similar option will happen for stickers and HP pads.

You can donate more than the minimum if you want to up it to get more stickers.

ORione
2012-02-07, 10:25 AM
We're like bees spreading his pollen around to help the flowers grow and spread, and in turn we get nectar for our honey... or would it be the other way around?

I think Rich is the bee, and we're the flowers. Nectar = money, honey = OotS stuff.

(MReav's analogy, not mine.)

Dr. Gamera
2012-02-07, 10:27 AM
Can I piggyback another question on here? I currently lack War and XPs, Don't Split the Party, and Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails. Is there any kickstart package that would include that set, or a close approximation thereof?

Close approximation: in Kickstarter, $78 for War and XPs and Don't Split the Party (includes shipping). Outside of Kickstarter, $21.95 plus shipping for Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales from Ookoodook (click here (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/OOTSSnipsSnailsAndDragonTales.shtml)).

I know it's more fun to order Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales as part of the Kickstarter drive, but one advantage of doing it this way is that you get Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales sooner, and it really is a great book.

RMS Oceanic
2012-02-07, 10:30 AM
Less than $22,000 until the supersize line. :smallsmile:

Shahadet
2012-02-07, 11:03 AM
Ok, maybe I'm missing something. Maybe this has an answer already that I missed. I can't figure out how to e-mail Rich.

There are some bonus fundraiser items, such as the stickers and coloring book, being given away when you buy a book. I already have all of the books and just want some the shwag. Will these be available for individual purchase?

Yes - go to the kickstarter page and scroll down the rewards. You will see Swag Pack #1 ($32) and Swag Pack #2 ($55). Books are optional, swag pack #1 lets you add the art print as an option, swag pack #2 does not.

Enjoy!

cheesymetal
2012-02-07, 11:39 AM
everytime new rewards come out, i keep uping my pledge. just got the extra coloring book. now im wondering about shirts or an oots tote bag.

fall_ark
2012-02-07, 11:55 AM
Am I right that the cheapest available option that includes Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales is the $67 one that has three books? :( I just need that one book....

Kobold-Bard
2012-02-07, 12:03 PM
Am I right that the cheapest available option that includes Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales is the $67 one that has three books? :( I just need that one book....

Snips isn't being reprinted, so it's technically the most scarce book atm. So unlike the others it can't be given an open pledge. Technically the cheapest one is the $24 pledge, since you can add a single book to that for $30, for a total of $54. Or the $25 one if you prefer the poster to two colouring books.

You could message Rich through Kickstarter to see if you can add a single copy by pledging $10 & then actually donating $40 (based on +$30/book)?

MReav
2012-02-07, 12:11 PM

Actually, there's exactly one for 35$, right now.

Edit: Not any more.

Firemage
2012-02-07, 12:18 PM
{Scrubbed}

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-07, 12:21 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

He will, if he gets the money. But these numbers should sober us up. There was speculation that a "full print run" was something like 100k books. It turns out it is closer to 10k, if not 5k. And even that few takes a $50k+ up-front investment per book. Rich could sell more, I'm sure, but he'd need a lot of money first. Which we are giving him, but there is a lot of books to reprint.

Grey Wolf

SaintRidley
2012-02-07, 12:24 PM
He will, if he gets the money. But these numbers should sober us up. There was speculation that a "full print run" was something like 100k books. It turns out it is closer to 10k, if not 5k. And even that few takes a $50k+ up-front investment per book. Rich could sell more, I'm sure, but he'd need a lot of money first. Which we are giving him, but there is a lot of books to reprint.

Grey Wolf

People thought full-size was 100k books? How?

I thought we learned from the Snips pre-order thread that the Giant's full-size runs go a little into the 5 figure mark.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-07, 12:27 PM
People thought full-size was 100k books? How?

Never underestimate the power of ignorance-of-the-facts speculation, that's my motto. 100k was the top range, though. 10k to 50k sounded more reasonable at the time, and even that turns out was too optimistic.

GW

SaintRidley
2012-02-07, 12:35 PM
Never underestimate the power of ignorance-of-the-facts speculation, that's my motto. 100k was the top range, though. 10k to 50k sounded more reasonable at the time, and even that turns out was too optimistic.

GW

True enough.

I also imagine that since these are all reprints rather than an initial run, full-size is a good bit smaller than if this were, say, book 5.

This might also encourage a larger initial run for book 5 by showing how many people are actually wanting to buy the books.

Unisus
2012-02-07, 12:40 PM
Rich is going to run into a new problem on Kickstarter very soon now. If you haven't noticed, each reward level must have its own dollar amount - no duplicates. And you can see where it looks like he wanted to do something the same as something else, but shifted it off by one or two dollars.

Actually i have seen more than one project at kickstarter with two or more pledge rewards at the same level. For example there is a game where you can have 1 game and a t-shirt for 30$ (US), or 2 games for 30$ (US), or 1 game for 30$ (international).

So i think the Giant is doing this more for better overview.

Porthos
2012-02-07, 03:27 PM
There is now an interview with Rich on Comics Alliance about the Kickstarter drive. (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/07/rich-burlew-kickstarter-order-stocl/)

After reading it, I have the following to say:

:elan:: Tempt, tempt, tempt Rich to set a "Buy Rich a Cintiq" goal. :smallbiggrin:

CDP
2012-02-07, 03:50 PM
There is now an interview with Rich on Comics Alliance about the Kickstarter drive. (http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/07/rich-burlew-kickstarter-order-stocl/)

After reading it, I have the following to say:

:elan:: Tempt, tempt, tempt Rich to set a "Buy Rich a Cintiq" goal. :smallbiggrin:

Please. The most expensive of those I found on google shopping was under $3000. That's not even a speed bump for this thing.

MReav
2012-02-07, 03:57 PM
Here's a suggestion for a joke Mystery Prize if we, say, get close to $1'000'000: Revealing Vaarsuvius' gender by the end of the year.

Saph
2012-02-07, 04:22 PM
Just threw in my own pledge. I want a copy of the first print book. :smallbiggrin:

CDP
2012-02-07, 04:27 PM
Here's a suggestion for a joke Mystery Prize if we, say, get close to $1'000'000: Revealing Vaarsuvius' gender by the end of the year.

Remember, that's an in-comic year, not a real year V-fans! :smalltongue:

Forbiddenwar
2012-02-07, 04:54 PM
Okay, should I add $55 to my pledge to get the swag pack 2 or should I experiment with a second Kickstarter account so Rich has a better idea of inventory numbers?

RMS Oceanic
2012-02-07, 05:27 PM
Update! And Mystery Prize #4 is...

Haleo and Julelan, a new StickTales story!

This will be the final PDF story, so I'm interested to see what Myster Prize #5 is...

Zordrath
2012-02-07, 05:27 PM
One more pdf comic, exxxcellent... :smallamused: And it will have Tarquin in it :smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2012-02-07, 05:34 PM
I'm honestly shocked there was another PDF.

Really hope Rich paces himself on these bonuses. :smalleek:

Kobold-Bard
2012-02-07, 05:34 PM
Halyeo & Julean

Excellent.

That is all.

SteveDJ
2012-02-07, 05:44 PM

Snips isn't being reprinted, so it's technically the most scarce book atm. So unlike the others it can't be given an open pledge. Technically the cheapest one is the $24 pledge, since you can add a single book to that for $30, for a total of $54. Or the $25 one if you prefer the poster to two colouring books.

You could message Rich through Kickstarter to see if you can add a single copy by pledging $10 & then actually donating $40 (based on +$30/book)?

I'd be careful about assuming you can just "add" SS&DT to any order. Usually when he says you can add something:

1) He lists what you can choose from. The reference to a $30 book add has so far meant one of the main books (1-4).

2) He lets you add for $30 because there is already sufficient postage built into the initial pledge/reward level. Just trying to add $30 to a $10 magnet pledge isn't going to be enough.

In general, given that the book is in limited supply, I would also guess that any that are "added" (instead of directly secured by a reward selection) could be the first to be cut from orders if he runs out? Just a guess on that one, though.

Smolder
2012-02-07, 05:45 PM
The funniest part about Haleo & Julelan is the gender reversal. I guess Haley really has always worn the pants in that relationship, if Elan's qualification for a hostage-based prestige class is any indication.

CloakedDancer
2012-02-07, 05:47 PM
Hooray for new rewards! Excited to see us hit that 1000% funded mark. Can't wait for the party once that happens... :smallcool:

ZombieMaster
2012-02-07, 05:48 PM
Now we're up to something like 100 pages of PDF's.

Please please please compile them into a book! They could still go out as PDF's to everyone who pledged $10 or more, but you could surely use some of the kickstarter money to print them up into a snips & snails #2 (or whatever) along with the kickstarter story and graphs etc, and I know that a TON of us would buy it even though we'll already have them as PDF's and already pledged money to the kickstarter.

I loves my OOTS, but I like having it in book form. Seriously, I would pay for this and I'm 100% positive that loads of others would too!

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-07, 05:52 PM
Woot! I wonder who's who?

Mercutio - Roy (or Belkar?)
Benvolio - V
Friar Laurence - Durkon
Tybalt - Crystal or one of the airborne tramps
Paris - Therkla?

SweetBB
2012-02-07, 05:57 PM
Love it! "The fair and delicate Julelan" and "the roguish House of Starshine". :smallbiggrin: I can't wait to read this one!

The Glyphstone
2012-02-07, 06:01 PM
And yeah, Aquaman is a badass. The Superfriends cartoon is a stain on his legacy that shall never be erased.

Dein
2012-02-07, 06:01 PM
Now we're up to something like 100 pages of PDF's.

Please please please compile them into a book! They could still go out as PDF's to everyone who pledged $10 or more, but you could surely use some of the kickstarter money to print them up into a snips & snails #2 (or whatever) along with the kickstarter story and graphs etc, and I know that a TON of us would buy it even though we'll already have them as PDF's and already pledged money to the kickstarter.

I loves my OOTS, but I like having it in book form. Seriously, I would pay for this and I'm 100% positive that loads of others would too!

I think the smart thing to do right now would be to focus on the immense workload ahead. I'm seriously amazed Rich decided to put out another pdf. Together with all the other rewards as well as managing the entire kickstarter thing and upcoming printings... That's a lot of stuff to take care of.

After that, maybe he can put out another book similar to SSaDT conatining all the bonus kickstarter pdfs plus some other random stuff he might have ideas for? Who knows. Either way, I'm very excited about the coming months.:smallsmile:

The Succubus
2012-02-07, 06:07 PM
So...what is the amount needed for the "Buy Rich a Cintaq" goal? :smallwink:

Smolder
2012-02-07, 06:17 PM

From the interview, "What I really want to avoid is the temptation to make the next goal, "Buy Rich a Cintaq" or something. I want to keep the goals focused on either creating more products or rewarding the backers."

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/07/rich-burlew-kickstarter-order-stocl/

ORione
2012-02-07, 06:24 PM
Haleo and Julelan - that's a great idea! Especially since their fathers really do hate each other.

(Well, Ian hates Tarquin. Tarquin probably doesn't care enough about Ian to hate him.)

ti'esar
2012-02-07, 06:45 PM
So, are we at eight PDFs now?

Porthos
2012-02-07, 07:03 PM
So, are we at eight PDFs now?

Yep.

1) How the Paladin Got His Scar
2-4) 3 stories about characters chosen by people who pledged $1250
5) Julio Scoundrél comic
6) Dim Sun
7) Sir Francois and the Dragon (featuring his herald, Elan!)
8) Haleo and Julelan - A Classic Romance Ruined

Endon the White
2012-02-07, 07:03 PM
You know, I wonder how much of what we've raised will go to Rich as profit. He said most of it is going to reprinting and stickers and such. Still, I can't imagine all 500,000 is devoured, leaving none for Rich.

ORione
2012-02-07, 07:12 PM
You know, I wonder how much of what we've raised will go to Rich as profit. He said most of it is going to reprinting and stickers and such. Still, I can't imagine all 500,000 is devoured, leaving none for Rich.

From the last update:

Mind you, before anyone thinks I'm buying a yacht with it or something, my best estimate is that around $200,000 of that is going strictly to the postage for shipping out the rewards! The rest is going to the print runs, the cost of the bonus prizes like the stickers and such, and other miscellaneous expenses. My income will largely be off of the sales of the books once they're reprinted and back on store shelves, which should trickle in over the course of the year. Still, it's an incredibly positive sign for the health of the comic and its readership, and I couldn't be happier that we've managed to get the books into so many people's hands with this pledge drive.

People, we have two weeks to raise money for Rich's yacht.
No, I don't think he'd go for that.

Who149
2012-02-07, 07:32 PM
>Step 1: Shatter every single goal the Giant gives us
>Step 2: Wait 23 hours for him to give us the new goal.
>Step 3: Repeat.

CDP
2012-02-07, 07:41 PM
People, we have two weeks to raise money for Rich's yacht.
No, I don't think he'd go for that.

He can dock it alongside Hinjo's junk (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html). :smallwink::smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

MReav
2012-02-07, 07:58 PM

More:

>Step 2.5: Find out that the original goal he was going to give us was shattered before he could give an update, forcing him to make a new one.

t209
2012-02-07, 08:11 PM
I wonder what the cast of Haleo and Juelan would be.
Lord Hinjo will be the Prince Escalus
Tarquin will be Juelan's dad
Ian Starshine will be Haleo's dad
Kubota as Tybalt
Elan as Juelan
Haley as Haleo
Grim Reaper
and 40,000 men and women.

Froklsnt
2012-02-07, 08:29 PM
OotS Legion! Fellow US-based adult nerd-types, I put in a suggestion that NPR do a story on Rich's phenomenal Kickstarter! Write in as well and join me in suggesting that the nation hear about a webcomic's fanbase rallying behind its humble author!

http://help.npr.org/npr/includes/customer/npr/custforms/contactus.aspx?sid=1

ZombieMaster
2012-02-07, 08:29 PM
I'm a little dubious about the $200,000 for shipping though. There are presently just over 7000 backers, that would mean nearly $30 postage to each and every backer, which seems unlikely.

(So hopefully that number is on the high side and there's more left over for Rich, is what I'm saying...)

Smolder
2012-02-07, 08:34 PM
I'm a little dubious about the $200,000 for shipping though. There are presently just over 7000 backers, that would mean nearly $30 postage to each and every backer, which seems unlikely.

(So hopefully that number is on the high side and there's more left over for Rich, is what I'm saying...)

Factor in the 700+ books that have to be shipped to Rich to be signed before being shipped out, and it seems more reasonable.

bjornthedwarf
2012-02-07, 08:47 PM

I actually hope that he is budgeting in an awesome bonus for himself, though that seems not to be the case. I would be thrilled for him to walk away from this with plenty in the bank to pad his retirement account, or give him basically a multi-year bonus on whatever he normally makes. Seriously, I think the big guy has more than deserved it.

bluewurm
2012-02-07, 09:48 PM

each multiple-book international order is probably going to eat away pretty fast at that. i'm in the US, but if i was international i'd see this as a GREAT chance to get all the books at once without additional shipping hassles.

As for where Rich will make his money, the answer is in having the books all back in stock AFTER the drive is over and (i think) back in comic stores (where new fans may find them!) as well!

On a more-fun note, Rich's inclusion on the 8x10 prints reminded me of the original 24x36 posters... so i went and bought both and had them framed. they are AMAZING, i just dont know where to put them.

Whiffet
2012-02-07, 10:02 PM
Apparently Rich is a fan of Aquaman. I gotta say, I approve of his superhero tastes.

Also, we get a Romeo and Juliet StickTale. Huh. I'm excited, but somehow also slightly disappointed. I hated that play. Loved Hamlet, but not this one. Fortunately I know the characters will manage to ruin the story as they try to tell it, so it'll be fun. :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2012-02-07, 10:10 PM
Thanks, Dr. Gamera! I hadn't scrolled down that far because the price tag looked steep, but on actually comparing it to the straight price of the books plus shipping, it comes out a little cheaper. Done.

ZombieMaster
2012-02-07, 10:21 PM
On a more-fun note, Rich's inclusion on the 8x10 prints reminded me of the original 24x36 posters... so i went and bought both and had them framed. they are AMAZING, i just dont know where to put them.

Yeah, I've been wavering on those for months. They look great, but I don't have enough wall space anywhere where my wife would let me put them up (it's not really living room material).

Looking forward to the 8x10 version via the kickstarter though.

AxesOfEvil
2012-02-07, 10:59 PM
Usually Rich has to shell out for printing the books, so his profit is selling cost-printing cost. With this drive, Rich will basically make the full selling cost as profit on each book (that isn't part of the rewards, where he probably gets closer to his normal rate). So this drive should help him out a bit (and I think he certainly deserves it). I think this would be a great way to fund the printing of future books too so he doesn't need to try to make-back his printing costs each time. I'm sure there would be overwhelming support for a 'fund a new book' drive in the future.

I just wish he'd offer 'pdfs as a printed book' as a reward this time around. Still, with the mess that SSaDT was, I can understand why he wouldn't want to offer a reward (likely to thousands of people), for a book that may be nearly a year in the making. Maybe he could just set a reward for creating the book without offering it as a reward so he doesn't have to listen to all the whining, though that probably wouldn't be quite as popular.

I'd also like the adventure game as a reward so I could justify contributing more to this drive.

homeslice
2012-02-07, 11:08 PM
Oh boy, I hope the new Haleo and Julelan features general Tarquin.

t209
2012-02-07, 11:14 PM

I wonder what will it be like if Kubota have to play Tybalt (Juelan's suitor). Heck, Hinjo could be Prince escalus.
Edit: Or Therkalt.
P.S- Will there be blue oyster cult (reference to Don't fear the reaper)?

Whiffet
2012-02-07, 11:22 PM

Considering we're explicitly told about the House of Tarquin and the House of Starshine, I think it's safe to say Tarquin will appear.

CDP
2012-02-07, 11:39 PM
Usually Rich has to shell out for printing the books, so his profit is selling cost-printing cost. With this drive, Rich will basically make the full selling cost as profit on each book (that isn't part of the rewards, where he probably gets closer to his normal rate). So this drive should help him out a bit (and I think he certainly deserves it). I think this would be a great way to fund the printing of future books too so he doesn't need to try to make-back his printing costs each time. I'm sure there would be overwhelming support for a 'fund a new book' drive in the future.

I just wish he'd offer 'pdfs as a printed book' as a reward this time around. Still, with the mess that SSaDT was, I can understand why he wouldn't want to offer a reward (likely to thousands of people), for a book that may be nearly a year in the making. Maybe he could just set a reward for creating the book without offering it as a reward so he doesn't have to listen to all the whining, though that probably wouldn't be quite as popular.

I'd also like the adventure game as a reward so I could justify contributing more to this drive.

Unfortunately he can't as, has been stated many times, he has no way of knowing exactly how much it would cost. I don't think printers are going to give him a quote until he can at least tell them how many pages it will have.

And since none of these stories have been written yet, we have only estimates of how long they will be.

I wonder what will it be like if Kubota have to play Tybalt (Juelan's suitor). Heck, Hinjo could be Prince escalus.
Edit: Or Therkalt.
P.S- Will there be blue oyster cult (reference to Don't fear the reaper)?

Thank you. I'm now having visions of Kubota as 'Kubalt'. (Cobalt)

ella ventic
2012-02-07, 11:55 PM
Unfortunately he can't as, has been stated many times, he has no way of knowing exactly how much it would cost. I don't think printers are going to give him a quote until he can at least tell them how many pages it will have.

While he clearly can't offer Book K as a pledge incentive now, I'd be thrilled if one of the goal lines were to be something like: "At some undetermined point in the future, Book K will see print." So nothing tangible for this drive, but rather a promise for the future. And just to be clear, I'm not talking about people paying in advance for them, either; in this nice little fever-dream of mine, even pledgers for this drive would have to buy them at full price later. It is merely the existence of such a thing that we would be ensuring now. I would be thrilled to donate to that cause. (Erm, leaving aside the fact that I'm thrilled to donate anyway. Whatever. :smalltongue:)

AxesOfEvil
2012-02-07, 11:56 PM

And since none of these stories have been written yet, we have only estimates of how long they will be.

He's already said he's done with adding new comic content, so I'd guess he can estimate the number of pages (and thus costs) reasonably. Estimating high doesn't hurt anything, he will have enough to ensure he can print it, and it either comes out cheaper, or he can pad the book with whatever he likes. Personally, I prefer my explanation of not wanting folks whining for a year about not getting their reward.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-08, 12:02 AM

I theenk eet was joke.

Advance Strat..
2012-02-08, 12:37 AM
Don't forget that international shipping is an absolute monster.

I work at a bookstore that does a lot of mail orders, and it's not uncommon for postage to canada to get into the $30 dollar range, and if you try to do it UPS it gets closer to 70-90 for shipping. That's just canada, never mind how many other countries this is going to. And that's for the smaller boxes. Just wait til you get to the size of box you'll need to put in 7 OOTS books, plus coloring books, plus everything else that might be in your order.

Shipping is going to be a LOT at any rate.

Terribad
2012-02-08, 02:02 AM
Shipping is going to be a LOT at any rate.

Yep $37 is a steal for Int'l shipping of a box of books, especially to Asia and Australia.

Porthos
2012-02-08, 02:18 AM

I theenk eet was joke.

Not a joke, apparently.

From the comments to Update #15 (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/171717)

Rich Burlew about 1 hour ago
@Everyone talking about average shipping rates: Shipping a box with three or more books in it costs $49 to any country outside of North America, $37 more than it costs to ship within the USA ($12). Right now, about half of all orders are coming from other countries. So yes, an average of, say, $28 a customer sounds like just about exactly like what it will cost. Keep in mind that these costs were entirely expected and even built into the pledge structure; if I had cheaper shipping options that I trusted, I would have charged customers less and then I would have raised less. So no money is really coming out of my pocket. I use the USPS Priority Mail because it allows me to track packages; long-time fans will remember the day I announced that the bulk shipper I tried using for the very first book lost a few hundred international orders into thin air. I'll never use a service like that again.

Bolded for emphasis.

Considering the tremendous bargain people internationally are getting if they end up ordering the whole set (or indeed anything that normally would incure tremendous shipping fees on multiple shipments) I'm not that surprised when I stop to think about it.

factotum
2012-02-08, 02:49 AM
As for where Rich will make his money, the answer is in having the books all back in stock AFTER the drive is over and (i think) back in comic stores (where new fans may find them!) as well!

Only worry I have there is that everybody who wants a book may get it as part of the drive, leaving nobody to actually buy the restocked books in stores! I hope I'm wrong in that, and I assume Rich has taken that into consideration when he started the drive...

RMS Oceanic
2012-02-08, 03:15 AM
Less than $1500 before we supersize this. :smallcool:

Yendor
2012-02-08, 03:21 AM
I have little doubt we'll eventually see all this bonus content in print, but it won't happen for some time. It's going to take months just to write it all, and when the time comes I don't think Rich is just going to stick all the PDFs together and call it a day; he'll want to come up with more bonus stuff for the book. He's also got bonus content for Book 5 to write. The same reasoning for Book 5 applies to any bonus book: Rich doesn't want to take money for a goal for which he has no firm details, especially about when it will come out.

Incidentally, in honour of the spectacularly successful fundraiser, my proposed title is, "A Fist Full of GP".

In other news, the graph seems to be fairly closely following a quadratic curve (minus a couple of outliers around $250k). If it continues to follow the curve, it will finish at around $770k, give or take $10k, let's say.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-08, 03:56 AM
Not a joke, apparently.

From the comments to Update #15 (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/171717)

Considering the tremendous bargain people internationally are getting if they end up ordering the whole set (or indeed anything that normally would incure tremendous shipping fees on multiple shipments) I'm not that surprised when I stop to think about it.

:eek:

Holy hand grenade of Antioch...

RMS Oceanic
2012-02-08, 04:59 AM
It works in reverse though: I was in a US-centric Secret Santa one time, and I bought around £50 of stuff for them. It cost me another £50 to send it to them (in Seattle) at a decent speed.

These days, I usually order direct from Amazon or such. Transoceanic postage is a metaphorical goldmine.

Yendor
2012-02-08, 05:56 AM
DING! One Super-size combo, coming up!

Tev
2012-02-08, 09:44 AM
@book K, 5 etc:
I think that now we can already speculate about NEXT kickstarter Rich will do - maybe when book5 is ready (end of the year?) + maybe when he will have some material for next prequel . . . after all this pdf madness he can finish book5 storyline (not much left anyway I guess) and do some extra stuff for prequels (and by that time it won't be that spoileroid) in say a year. And he certainly is thrilled about this drive too, in interview he mentioned a few internal goals to sort of pay us back (speeding up the writing maybe?). So he might have done it in that time. Only concern is if the "speeeed" might affect quality, but considering he was always saying how pace that he's making comic at depends on his mood, I'd say he's gonna write a lot faster this year and it's going to be awesome :D

So tl;dr: next year there very likely might be next kickstarter, say for book5 + maybe another prequel. And if it gets even close to madness of this one, I think Rich will have easy Mystery prize ready - PDF K into Book K.

And that's way more realistic than any way of including (printing of) book K in rewards for this kickstarter.

p.s. I hope it's understandable, english is not my primary language ^^

JediSoth
2012-02-08, 09:58 AM
He's already said he's done with adding new comic content, so I'd guess he can estimate the number of pages (and thus costs) reasonably. Estimating high doesn't hurt anything, he will have enough to ensure he can print it, and it either comes out cheaper, or he can pad the book with whatever he likes. Personally, I prefer my explanation of not wanting folks whining for a year about not getting their reward.

Estimating high COULD hurt something, because of the peculiarities of the printing business. There are points where X number of pages is actually more expensive than X+1 because of the way paper is priced. Of course, it's not ACTUALLY X+1 (more like X+8 or X+16 or X+32) because printing presses don't print just one page at a time. I doubt these books are being printed on sheet fed-presses because that would be just ridiculously expensive compared to a web press (they use giant rolls of paper and print 8 pages at a time called a "signature).

So, if he estimates for a 64 page book and only comes out with 54 pages, he could run into a situation where he can add 2 more pages for an even signature (a 32-page, +a 16-page, +an 8-page signature = a 56 page book), but the cost is high than if he actually added 10 more pages.*

Scrambling to add extra content like that isn't a trivial matter, especially when you're already at your print deadline and the printer calls you up and says "Yeah, you need another 2 pages"**.

Basically, it's not like running down to your copy shop and having them print and bind a term paper. Printing is a very persnickety, volatile, costly business (working with printers is part of my job).

*Actually page counts and price points may vary based on printer, paper prices and other commodities that constantly fluctuate in price.

** I'm sure Rich is experienced enough now to NOT send files to the printer that do not already have the correct number of pages for the signatures, it's just an example

Forbiddenwar
2012-02-08, 10:22 AM
Okay, should I add $55 to my pledge to get the swag pack 2 or should I experiment with a second Kickstarter account so Rich has a better idea of inventory numbers?

Still waiting for opinions and thoughts on this question.

SteveDJ
2012-02-08, 10:43 AM

I haven't compared directly, but isn't the reward level for one book greater than the retail cost of the book + shipping? Or at least equal to it?

Since every book sold elsewhere (online, bookstores, etc) yields some profit for Rich, then every book given as a reward will also have some net profit for Rich. I figure he will at least do ... OK. :smallsmile:

SteveDJ
2012-02-08, 10:51 AM

From the interview, "What I really want to avoid is the temptation to make the next goal, "Buy Rich a Cintaq" or something. I want to keep the goals focused on either creating more products or rewarding the backers."

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/07/rich-burlew-kickstarter-order-stocl/

I thought there was an earlier comment that a Cintaq only cost, maybe $3000, so a goal would be too small.

But let's look at it this way -- the top reward pledge of $5000 only gets ... a little bit of Rich's time. No books/products/shipping. (Well, ok, maybe the freebie stuff, but that's nothing compared to $5K).

And there are other pledge reward levels similar in that they just cost a bit of his time.

I would say, if he wants one, he's already got a Cintaq coming! :smallbiggrin:

Forbiddenwar
2012-02-08, 10:56 AM
I haven't compared directly, but isn't the reward level for one book greater than the retail cost of the book + shipping? Or at least equal to it?

And that amount pays for printing more than that one copy of the book. The whole reason for the Kickstarter after all. This isn't a preorder the book for the cost of the book, this is raise money to put the books back into print so they can be sold in gaming shops and comic stores again, reaching a wider audience.

So, no Rich is not seeing any profit. He is raising capital to get a stock of material that he will be able to sell to fund the next print job and have a small bit of profit.

Each reward level needs to pay for:
The cost of the rewards, quite staggering by itself.
The shipping of the rewards
The printing of at least 3 other books to be sold in stores.
Amazon's cut
Kickstarter's cut
Various fees on capital funds

Frankly, I fear that Rich is underselling, especially considering international orders, and Kickstarters and Amazon's cuts (10%+ fees)

Gullintanni
2012-02-08, 11:06 AM
Apparently Rich is a fan of Aquaman. I gotta say, I approve of his superhero tastes.

Also, we get a Romeo and Juliet StickTale. Huh. I'm excited, but somehow also slightly disappointed. I hated that play. Loved Hamlet, but not this one. Fortunately I know the characters will manage to ruin the story as they try to tell it, so it'll be fun. :smallbiggrin:

I'd have loved to see King Lear, my favorite of the Shakespeares, but I don't think it's as accessible. On the other hand, everyone's read/seen/heard Romeo and Juliet, so I understand why it was the first choice.

I'm in agreement though. I'm looking forward to watching Haley and Elan tastefully destroy the classic :smallwink:

SaintRidley
2012-02-08, 11:26 AM
I'd have loved to see King Lear, my favorite of the Shakespeares, but I don't think it's as accessible. On the other hand, everyone's read/seen/heard Romeo and Juliet, so I understand why it was the first choice.

I'm in agreement though. I'm looking forward to watching Haley and Elan tastefully destroy the classic :smallwink:

I think I'd most like to see Titus Andronicus and Macbeth done as Stick Tales adaptations of Shakespeare next. So much potential for ridiculosity. Lear has that too, but of a different sort.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-08, 11:31 AM

Yeah, King Lear is great. A StickTales version, I don't know--can you imagine V in a beard, ranting as Lear, with Belkar as the fool?

notsurewhethergreatorawful.jpg

Titus Andronicus...done as Stick Tales

SaintRidley
2012-02-08, 11:39 AM
I've always taken Titus as unintentional comedy. Plenty of room to make it work. I mean, think about it. Tarquin Andronicus, and Not-Quite-Wife-#10 as Tamora, Haley can resume cryptograms as Halinia...

It seems reasonably possible.

Make Lavinia a daughter by marriage to Lucius (played by Elan) and have Elan second guessing his father's methods...

Also, a Stick Tale as told by Tarquin would be awesome and it's hard to see him telling anything different - it fits him too well.

Gullintanni
2012-02-08, 11:47 AM
I think I'd most like to see Titus Andronicus and Macbeth done as Stick Tales adaptations of Shakespeare next. So much potential for ridiculosity. Lear has that too, but of a different sort.

Yeah, King Lear is great. A StickTales version, I don't know--can you imagine V in a beard, ranting as Lear, with Belkar as the fool?

notsurewhethergreatorawful.jpg

Agreed on all counts. Lear would be hard to do well. It's one of Shakespeare's more complex works. On the other hand, if I had to pick someone to try and make it work, I'd have no problem nominating the Giant.

Obnoxious Hydra
2012-02-08, 11:54 AM
Wait, I'm still getting the PDFs aren't I?

I donated $10, and from what I've read so far it seems to indicate I would get them, but the latest update said that people who have pledged OVER $10 will be getting the PDFs.

SteveDJ
2012-02-08, 12:10 PM

For some reason when you said 'destroy the classic', I had this flash of memory from oh, so long ago, watching the muppets on Sesame Street destroying classic nursery rhymes. And now I'm wondering if the muppets did a take on Romeo and Juliet (Muppet Show series, maybe?)

Porthos
2012-02-08, 12:16 PM
Wait, I'm still getting the PDFs aren't I?

I donated $10, and from what I've read so far it seems to indicate I would get them, but the latest update said that people who have pledged OVER $10 will be getting the PDFs.

Yes, yes you are. The prior updates have been quite clear on this point. And since he said that everyone who is already getting a PDF is getting this one....

Obnoxious Hydra
2012-02-08, 01:19 PM
Yes, yes you are. The prior updates have been quite clear on this point. And since he said that everyone who is already getting a PDF is getting this one....

Woo, thank god.
I was worried there.

ZMiles
2012-02-08, 02:07 PM
I finally gave in and upgraded to the $222 complete story pledge. 7 books of OotS goodness, here I come!

YohanLeafheart
2012-02-08, 03:53 PM
Don't forget that international shipping is an absolute monster.

Specially after USPS upped their rates recently. 37 for int'l shipping is very low. It will cost him about 60-70 to send a full pack to places like Brazil.

Advance Strat..
2012-02-08, 04:25 PM
Yeah hopefully the rate changes that they just put in a week or two ago don't mess with this drive too much. I remember when Priority Mail envelopes were in the 3 dollar range, now it's almost in the 5.

SteveDJ
2012-02-08, 05:01 PM
Specially after USPS upped their rates recently. 37 for int'l shipping is very low. It will cost him about 60-70 to send a full pack to places like Brazil.

Remember that the US shipping costs, whatever they are, are already built into the pledge amount. So $37 is only the markup on top of the US portion. This should apply to all packages where there is an additional amount requested for intl shipping.

jmucchiello
2012-02-08, 05:37 PM
Frankly, I fear that Rich is underselling, especially considering international orders, and Kickstarters and Amazon's cuts (10%+ fees)
Sadly, I think the spot where Rich undersold is on his signature. He has to sign 700+ things in this drive and the cost for that signature is around a $15 markup (someone who cares can check my dirty napkin figuring) on the cost of the unsigned equivalent (where there is an equivalent). He easily could have charged more for them when you consider every one of them sold out within 30 minutes of being posted. He rarely goes to conventions and his signature is pretty rare. (And SHAME on anyone who puts any of those signed books up on Ebay.)

He also undersold the high end rewards. I think he just didn't realize how much people were willing to spend on his "little stick figure webcomic".

VinRaven
2012-02-08, 05:38 PM

Remember that the US shipping costs, whatever they are, are already built into the pledge amount. So $37 is only the markup on top of the US portion. This should apply to all packages where there is an additional amount requested for intl shipping.

https://www.prioritymail.com/flatrates.asp

Large Flat Rate Box
Domestic Rate: $15.45 at the Post Office™
APO/FPO/DPO Rate*: $13.45 at the Post Office
International Rate**: $39.95 (Mexico/Canada), $60.95 (all other countries) at the Post Office
Size:12" x 12" x 5 1/2"

The Kickstart shipping costs say:
"(Canada/Mexico orders, please add $22 extra to your pledge to cover shipping; international orders, add $37.)"

So it comes across as Rich taking a $2.50 hit on each shipment to Canada, (actual cost is +$24.50 to Canada), and an $8.50 hit on each international shipment, (actual cost is +$45.50 internationally).

I hope he's done his numbers better somewhere else, because at this point it looks like the drive will be subsidizing international shipping.

SteveDJ
2012-02-08, 05:43 PM

Large Flat Rate Box
International Rate**: $39.95 (Mexico/Canada), $60.95 (all other countries) at the Post Office

"(Canada/Mexico orders, please add $22 extra to your pledge to cover shipping; international orders, add $37.)"

So it comes across as Rich taking a $2.50 hit on each shipment to Canada, (actual cost is +$24.50 to Canada), and an $8.50 hit on each international shipment, (actual cost is +$45.50 internationally).

I hope he's done his numbers better somewhere else, because at this point it looks like the drive will be subsidizing international shipping.

This is assuming Priority Mail. There is always just Parcel Post.

VinRaven
2012-02-08, 05:50 PM

Large Flat Rate Box

Oops, I think he's figuring on using the Medium Box, my mistake:
Medium Flat Rate Box
Domestic Rate: $11.35 at the Post Office™
International Rate*: $32.95 (Mexico/Canada), $47.95 (all other countries) at the Post Office
Size: 13 5/8" x 11 7/8" x 3 3/8"

Flame of Anor
2012-02-08, 05:56 PM
(And SHAME on anyone who puts any of those signed books up on Ebay.)

Not that I'll do this, but why? All it's doing is taking money from the eBay buyer in exchange for having heard of the Kickstarter in time. It's no skin off Rich's back.

jmucchiello
2012-02-08, 05:57 PM
7,436 Backers
$550,173

Under $6500 to the top 5.

jmucchiello
2012-02-08, 06:01 PM
Not that I'll do this, but why? All it's doing is taking money from the eBay buyer in exchange for having heard of the Kickstarter in time. It's no skin off Rich's back.

If not for the speculator, the book could have gone to someone who would have kept it and no one but Rich profits from Rich's work.

Having logged into Kickstarter at the right time of day to catch those times Rich added new rewards is a slimy way to make money. And yes, I hate concert ticket brokers who mark up the price on the good seats by selling them aftermarket too.

The Succubus
2012-02-08, 06:15 PM
If not for the speculator, the book could have gone to someone who would have kept it and no one but Rich profits from Rich's work.

Having logged into Kickstarter at the right time of day to catch those times Rich added new rewards is a slimy way to make money. And yes, I hate concert ticket brokers who mark up the price on the good seats by selling them aftermarket too.

I believe the phrase "cold, dead hands" best sums up my view on retaining my signed books when they arrive.

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-08, 06:23 PM
Sadly, I think the spot where Rich undersold is on his signature. He has to sign 700+ things in this drive and the cost for that signature is around a $15 markup (someone who cares can check my dirty napkin figuring) on the cost of the unsigned equivalent (where there is an equivalent). He easily could have charged more for them when you consider every one of them sold out within 30 minutes of being posted. He rarely goes to conventions and his signature is pretty rare. (And SHAME on anyone who puts any of those signed books up on Ebay.)

He also undersold the high end rewards. I think he just didn't realize how much people were willing to spend on his "little stick figure webcomic".

He might have "undersold" his signature and art-works, but on the other hand he allowed fans who aren't swimming in money to access and enjoy them at a price which wouldn't ruin them. For that I will be forever grateful.

SweetBB
2012-02-08, 06:54 PM
I believe the phrase "cold, dead hands" best sums up my view on retaining my signed books when they arrive.

Agreed! I didn't camp by my F5 key to score my signed copies and crayon drawing for somebody else! They're mine. Just try and take 'em! :furious:

However, if someone wants to sell their own copy on Ebay somewhere down the road, it doesn't bother me. Their choice, not mine.

jmucchiello
2012-02-08, 08:01 PM
He might have "undersold" his signature and art-works, but on the other hand he allowed fans who aren't swimming in money to access and enjoy them at a price which wouldn't ruin them. For that I will be forever grateful.
I'm aware of that. And I never said he should have sold his signature at "market" price. I merely pointed out he could have charged more.

ella ventic
2012-02-08, 08:16 PM
Update...

...dragon.

eep!

SweetBB
2012-02-08, 08:16 PM
Update!! At last! :smallbiggrin: Rich put up a cool colour coded rewards chart. Now if anyone has questions, we can just say "See update #16"! :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2012-02-08, 08:19 PM
Oh no, run for it, V!

CDP
2012-02-08, 08:34 PM
Update!! At last! :smallbiggrin: Rich put up a cool colour coded rewards chart. Now if anyone has questions, we can just say "See update #16"! :smalltongue:

At least the $32 reward gives the option for adding the art print even if it doesn't include it outright. I'm keeping my pledge here.

MammonAzrael
2012-02-08, 09:04 PM
So...either I'm getting the $25 print (and adding SSaDT), or I'm getting to complete collection and pledging $250...gah, I need to get that money! Huzzah for the awesome chart that makes it perfectly clear how much I want to donate! :smalltongue:

catsclaw227
2012-02-08, 09:52 PM
I already have all the books except for War and XPs. I am soooooo stoked that Rich is doing this kickstarter. I pledged for $45 + $5 to get an extra coloring book, but I also wanted the 8x10 so I logged in as my daughter and bought her a $25 pledge so I can get the print. That's $75 now, which is minimal compared to some of you, but it's a lot for me.

How can I get the whole set of magnets? Are they all still in print and can I up my pledge to add the remainder of the magnets?

Matt O.
aka catsclaw227

Douglas
2012-02-08, 10:15 PM
How can I get the whole set of magnets? Are they all still in print and can I up my pledge to add the remainder of the magnets?
Find someone who has them already and convince him to part with them.

Aside from the Roy magnet, they are all from limited print runs from a while back and will never be reprinted, so the number available is limited to the quantity Rich physically has and all of the complete sets are already spoken for.

Sorry.

Yendor
2012-02-08, 10:24 PM
We're number five! We're number five!

PS: The Elevation Dock has hit all-time first place, and headed for a million.

Forbiddenwar
2012-02-08, 11:03 PM
PS: The Elevation Dock has hit all-time first place, and headed for a million.

Personally, I'm shocked how popular a lump of aluminum can be.

SaintRidley
2012-02-09, 12:11 AM

As am I. I don't get why an iPod dock would be the thing to be popular like this. Of course, I don't get why iPods are popular either.

Cazaril
2012-02-09, 12:21 AM
So I'm pretty sure that the dragon will be defeated by Roy falling on it. :smallbiggrin:

NerfTW
2012-02-09, 12:25 AM
This is assuming Priority Mail. There is always just Parcel Post.

No. He wouldn't ship parcel post. That's not a very secure way to ship. Lots of packages would end up missing or damaged. He's done it before and taken a severe hit replacing them. Unlike a company like Amazon, who can absorb the cost of damaged shipments, a small business owner can't take that risk.

MoonCat
2012-02-09, 12:51 AM
Dammit. We need to raise up another 400,000 in the next 12 days. We must reach the top of the 10!

Mr Burlew, add more character appearances, or promise more really cool stuff. We must raise ourselves higher than this half million!

CDP
2012-02-09, 12:54 AM
*Starts setting up the tables, decorations, and refreshments for the 1000% party*

bjornthedwarf
2012-02-09, 01:11 AM
Man, I hate to be a buzzkill, but there is going to be a new #1 Kickstarter project in about 33 days:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Tim Schafer's DoubleFine announced tonight that they are funding their next game, a classic adventure game, through Kickstarter. And in the handful of hours it has been up, it has already raised more than 223,000 freaking dollars. :smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

I'm actually super geeked about this. There's probably no individual developer whose work I enjoy more than Schafer's. And there's certainly no active developer today whose work I have been playing as long.

Shale
2012-02-09, 01:17 AM
Wait, it wasn't enough to have Notch throwing money at them? Now they're going to conquer Kickstarter too? What could justif--DOES THAT SAY RON GILBERT?

JustADecoy
2012-02-09, 01:38 AM
Wait, it wasn't enough to have Notch throwing money at them? Now they're going to conquer Kickstarter too? What could justif--DOES THAT SAY RON GILBERT?

Yessir. The Grumpy Gamer (http://grumpygamer.com/) has been working for Double Fine for some time now:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ron-gilbert-takes-up-with-double-fine-6279722

As wonderful as this Kickstarter project has been, I'm ready to bow to the new King. Oh... and pledge, too.

(And just for Shale, one more awesome Ron Gilbert link: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014732/Classic-Game-Postmortem-MANIAC)

bjornthedwarf
2012-02-09, 01:45 AM
As wonderful as this Kickstarter project has been, I'm ready to bow to the new King. Oh... and pledge, too.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the Giant has spoiled us more than pretty much any project, ever. :smallbiggrin: These are the first two KS projects I've ever donated to, but I've watched a quite a few over the last year and I've never seen anyone include as much stuff as the Giant has in his.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-09, 02:28 AM

It's a really nice piece of aluminium?

Man, I hate to be a buzzkill, but there is going to be a new #1 Kickstarter project in about 33 days:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Eh, at least we'll be in the top ten for quite a while.

RMS Oceanic
2012-02-09, 03:19 AM
Yikes, it looks like Double Fine are going to hit their $400,000 target by the time my manager comes in in an hour or so. :smalleek:

Well I enjoyed Monkey Island et all when I was a lad, and I've heard nothing but good about Psychonauts, so I certainly don't begrudge Mister Schafer for what looks like a resounding success. :smallsmile:

Kickstarter and similar sites are really exciting to follow.

factotum
2012-02-09, 03:19 AM
Yessir. The Grumpy Gamer (http://grumpygamer.com/) has been working for Double Fine for some time now

If you look on the Doublefine site it has some additional premium rewards past $10k, two of which are:

Pledge $30,000 or more:
Picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $35,000 or more:
Undoctored picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

:smallbiggrin:

Anyway, since the Double Fine pledge drive ends in a different month to ours, it shouldn't affect it too much...

The Succubus
2012-02-09, 06:06 AM
A new point and click adventure from Tim Schaefer and Ron Gilbert?! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

(The user posting this appears to have frozen up. Please restart by throwing a bucket of ice water over him)

EDIT: Forgive me, Rich, for I have sinned. I've pledged to another Kickstarter drive in addition to this one. :smallfrown:

Dr. Gamera
2012-02-09, 06:36 AM
You know, when you have a hoard of 500,000+ gold pieces, a dragon is likely to hear about it and show up to (try to) relieve you of the burden...

Gullintanni
2012-02-09, 07:13 AM
Well...we'll be in the Top 5 for a few weeks after the OoTS Kickstarter closes at least...depending on how far we go we may stay there, despite of the game. :smalltongue:

Speaking of which, we're barreling down on 1000% funded and 600K. Exciting times!

EDIT: OotS is also, as of this writing, Kickstarter's featured Project of the Day :smallsmile:

Weimann
2012-02-09, 08:28 AM
Woah, the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter is already at $516,542 out of their $400,000 goal. How many hours ago was it posted again?

In other news, I upped my pledge to $259 for the whole pack, including shipment to Europe.

In further other news, Double K is having a pledge drive (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/captainosaka/double-k-volume-1-and-beyond?ref=live) that ends in 34 hours. If you want to support the printing of the awesome Gurren Lagann-based buddy cop comic that's completely true to the original show's style (and if you still got ay funds left in your wallet), check it out.

factotum
2012-02-09, 08:40 AM
Woah, the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter is already at $516,542 out of their $400,000 goal. How many hours ago was it posted again?

Less than 24 hours...I suspect I know what project will be in Kickstarter's record-breaking first day takings for 2012! :smallwink:

Shale
2012-02-09, 10:08 AM
Well, so much for fifth place...

Smolder
2012-02-09, 10:09 AM
And Double Fine officially passes us!

No disrespect to other projects though. We've still secured the #1 in publishing and comics for all time! Now let's drive a few more nails into that coffin!

Gullintanni
2012-02-09, 10:49 AM

Well...technically speaking they don't have fifth place until the drive ends. All their backers could theoretically pull out. So we'll hold 5th place for a few weeks in the time between when the OotS drive ends, and when the DoubleFine drive ends.

But yeah, basically, we're shaping up to be 1st in comics and 6th overall. Not bad, by any means.

k_bukie
2012-02-09, 11:20 AM
I just hope everyone keeps in mind that this project isn't really competing with other projects. Really, at this point, the only "goals" that exist are to see how high the number gets.

Of course, I'm also under the impression that Rich is working on something...new for a goal.

Mephit
2012-02-09, 11:32 AM
Is it possible to opt-out for rewards? I'm waiting for my paypal deposit to be processed so I can get the PDFs, but I'm not a fan of magnets (Greenhilt emblazoned or otherwise) and I don't want to add to Rich's shipping costs.

Edit: Thanks @V

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-09, 11:34 AM
Is it possible to opt-out for rewards? I'm waiting for my paypal deposit to be processed so I can get the PDFs, but I'm not a fan of magnets (Greenhilt emblazoned or otherwise) and I don't want to add to Rich's shipping costs.

You can. When the email asking for your address comes, just write "no magnet please" in the address line.

GW

Forbiddenwar
2012-02-09, 12:31 PM
Of course, I'm also under the impression that Rich is working on something...new for a goal.

I have the impression it may be a couple of NEW things. Perhaps Ape Game related.

Can I hope and dream for a OOTS video game (and not flash unauthorized hacks)?

I gave Double Fine $15. But then I gave Rich another $60, so it's all good.

MaximKat
2012-02-09, 12:36 PM
Oh noes! It seems that it'll take all the running pledging we can do, to keep in the same (top 5) place!

ella ventic
2012-02-09, 01:28 PM
Counting down to 1000%! Should be any minute now. F5, F5, F5...

...There it is! 1:40 pm, break out the party hats! *toots noisemaker* Whoo!

CDP
2012-02-09, 01:43 PM
*Starts serving refreshments*

Cazaril
2012-02-09, 01:47 PM
Huzzah! :smallbiggrin:

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-09, 02:06 PM
Sigh, and here I thought that the drive might hit 200.000 with just a little luck and dedication. 1000%...

rakkoon
2012-02-09, 02:42 PM
Virtual kick added.

For the good times in the past, present and future

Advance Strat..
2012-02-09, 03:04 PM
Hey Geor- I mean Rich! We heard you needed help, so we got the entire town, I mean internet to help you out!

(quick everyone start singing auld lang syne!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2VD3WzpvY

WeLoveFireballs
2012-02-09, 03:11 PM
BTW I assume the PDFs will at some point in the future go on the web for sale or free (maybe in six months or so) for future generations of ootsers? Just wait long enough to make the people who paid ten dollars feel like they got their money's worth by getting them early. :smallbiggrin:

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-09, 03:15 PM
BTW I assume the PDFs will at some point in the future go on the web for sale or free (maybe in six months or so) for future generations of ootsers? Just wait long enough to make the people who paid ten dollars feel like they got their money's worth by getting them early. :smallbiggrin:

More than likely, Rich will print them, possibly as the much-requested "book K". It just won't happen with this kickstarter fund drive. Anyone that wants to read the stories will then have three options: find a friend that has them, buy the book, or be an {not-very-nice-person} and pirate them.

Grey Wolf

CDP
2012-02-09, 03:17 PM

I believe Rich has stated that a print version of the Kickstarter PDFs, should one ever be made, would not be for sale until 2013 at the earliest.

Xapi
2012-02-09, 03:18 PM

Actually, it could be sold at precisely ten dollars.

$10 Kickstarter backers would then have the added benefit of getting a Roy magnet (and other backers whatever they pledged for + rewards).

Add to that the fact that we'll be receiving the PDFs in our mailboxes as soon as they are done (I think) while non backers will have to wait until the last PDF is done for the pack to be for sale, and I think that would be a pretty sweet setup for everyone involved.

I do however feel that $10 is just too cheap for the amount of PDFs...

jmucchiello
2012-02-09, 04:06 PM
Can I hope and dream for a OOTS video game (and not flash unauthorized hacks)?
It is highly unlikely that such a game could, would or even should come from this Kickstarter drive.

Smolder
2012-02-09, 04:08 PM
Realistically, once one of us has the PDF, we can forward it to anyone we want. Trying to protect it from non-paying eyes is probably futile.

The point is that we get a big hand in deciding how many new stories we get and what the new material is about. And they get to read our stories and drool over opportunities they missed.

Elder Tsofu
2012-02-09, 04:44 PM
Realistically, once one of us has the PDF, we can forward it to anyone we want. Trying to protect it from non-paying eyes is probably futile.

The point is that we get a big hand in deciding how many new stories we get and what the new material is about. And they get to read our stories and drool over opportunities they missed.

It sounds an awful lot like pirating though, if you don't remove your copy of the file after forwarding that is. Don't go ahead and prove Rich right in his fears even before the release of the .pdf. :smalltongue:

EmperorSarda
2012-02-09, 05:11 PM
So... are we all trying to make it to a million dollars here?

WampaX
2012-02-09, 05:27 PM

Maybe . . .
or maybe the Giant should just team up with DoubleFine to create the Order of the Stick Adventure Game and watch Kickstarter implode.

That would be epic.

MReav
2012-02-09, 05:27 PM

We've been averaging about 31000$ dollars a day. I'd say we won't break a million, but we'll get within $100'000 of it.

CDP
2012-02-09, 05:38 PM
Woohoo! New update!

A new digital mystery prize for all backers (not just the $10+ crowd) and a goal for an expansion of the adventure game!

When $652,400 is hit, the adventure game will be added to the rewards!

Moak
2012-02-09, 05:38 PM
Maybe . . .
or maybe the Giant should just team up with DoubleFine to create the Order of the Stick Adventure Game and watch Kickstarter implode.

That would be epic.

This.

Absolutly this.

The Succubus
2012-02-09, 05:39 PM
Maybe . . .

That would be epic.

The universe is not ready for that level of greatness. Not by a long way.

Spacewolf
2012-02-09, 05:39 PM
Wonder what the deal with the white dragon is

Kobold-Bard
2012-02-09, 05:46 PM
Wonder what the deal with the white dragon is

I think it's an "off the edge of the map" thing what with the chart going far too high, "here there be Dragons" and all that.

Plus it seems more Ethereal than White to me, but that's just me.

I like how the chart is less of a chart these days & more of a full blown side quest.

k_bukie
2012-02-09, 05:48 PM
Wooo, go for the Administrative Costs!

...I mean, Mystery Prize #6!

Also, OOTS Adventure Game Expansion!

Manga Maniac
2012-02-09, 05:51 PM
We'll also put up copies of The Shortening and the combined Deluxe Edition on the pledge rewards if we reach that point, for those of you who have never played the game.
*flooded with tears* Why, wallet, why?!

SaintRidley
2012-02-09, 05:52 PM
Looking forward to Mystery Prize #6.

Intrigued by the expansion to the adventure game.

Smolder
2012-02-09, 05:54 PM
It sounds an awful lot like pirating though, if you don't remove your copy of the file after forwarding that is. Don't go ahead and prove Rich right in his fears even before the release of the .pdf. :smalltongue:

I don't think Rich is concerned about piracy at all. After all, he's been giving away his work for free for years, and it has only served to promote him and grow his audience.

Case in point: I've read the entire archive, yet I'm still buying a complete set of books. Clearly, the fact that I got to read those comics for free did not reduce my appreciation of them.

SweetBB
2012-02-09, 05:57 PM
Free and digital but not a story? We've already got wallpaper, so it can't be that. OOTS music? Dun dun dun!

RMS Oceanic
2012-02-09, 06:03 PM
My speculation: OOTS themed character sheets! :smalltongue:

Advance Strat..
2012-02-09, 06:09 PM
my turn for rampant speculation then?

A ruleset for Redcloak's elementals!

an iphone/android app!

A specialized 3.5 OOTS world setting!

PirateMonk
2012-02-09, 06:11 PM
The line seems to, at least temporarily, have settled into a steady $30,000/day. We only need about $24,000/day to comfortably get back into the top 5 (assuming nothing else insanely popular comes along...)

Maybe . . .

That would be epic.

Make it come with an iPhone dock.

CDP
2012-02-09, 06:31 PM
My speculation: OOTS themed character sheets! :smalltongue:

Awesome.

my turn for rampant speculation then?

A ruleset for Redcloak's elementals!

an iphone/android app!

A specialized 3.5 OOTS world setting!

Extra awesome.

Meh.

Supreme levels of awesomeness.

I honestly think that downloadable OotS-themed character sheets would be the most likely, at least out of these options. Rich could use it as an excuse to draw all sorts of generic race/class combos for them.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-09, 06:34 PM

We don't have to beat Tim Schafer's project to retake fifth place, just the current fourth-placer.

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-09, 06:38 PM
Yay, can't wait till I can add the Deluxe Edition as a reward! :smallsmile:

Smolder
2012-02-09, 06:44 PM
Hmmm... a new digital reward... I've got it! It's an mp3 of Rich giving audio commentary to the comics.

"#833... I remember the day I wrote this. It was raining outside and I..."

SweetBB
2012-02-09, 06:49 PM
Hmmm... a new digital reward... I've got it! It's an mp3 of Rich giving audio commentary to the comics.

...was waiting for my pizza to arrive, suddenly...

Weimann
2012-02-09, 06:53 PM
...the doorbell rang so I...

Shonen Hero
2012-02-09, 06:56 PM
Woo hoo, I'm loving the progress of this Kickstarter! I can't wait until I pledge! :smallbiggrin:

Speaking of pledging, anyone else thinking of donating an extra $5-10 or more to their pledge as well for the 'Get Rich a Cintaq fund/beer 'n pretzels' goal?

Smolder
2012-02-09, 07:17 PM

...put down my extra-large...

EmperorSarda
2012-02-09, 07:26 PM
I think it's an "off the edge of the map" thing what with the chart going far too high, "here there be Dragons" and all that.

Plus it seems more Ethereal than White to me, but that's just me.

The body is white, the wings are transparent. Make that of what you will.

SweetBB
2012-02-09, 07:30 PM

...Cintiq that all the OOTS fans over at Kickstarter INSISTED I buy for myself, unfortunately I forgot...

The Glyphstone
2012-02-09, 07:33 PM
...Cintiq that all the OOTS fans over at Kickstarter INSISTED I buy for myself, unfortunately I forgot...

...To save my work-in-progress...

MammonAzrael
2012-02-09, 07:37 PM

...at which point the Rich Baker...

ref
2012-02-09, 07:42 PM
Well, screw you double fine. You're robbing Rich of the eventual #1 spot and possibly first seven digit amount pledged.

CDP
2012-02-09, 07:46 PM
Well, screw you double fine. You're robbing Rich of the eventual #1 spot and possibly first seven digit amount pledged.

The Elevation Dock already broke seven digits actually.

Weimann
2012-02-09, 07:50 PM
Yeah, we can't compete with Double Fine. They just broke $1,000,000, which gives them #1. I'm not sure if they did it in within 24 hours, but if it was longer than that, it was not much longer. And they have 32 days left.

It doesn't help that I'm sure many people in this thread has pledged to both drives. I am considdring pledging $15 myself, but between the OotS drive and the Double K drive, my wallet is hurting. Maybe at a later date.

MoonCat
2012-02-09, 07:52 PM
Ah well. <twitches> I'm sure it's not really... all that <twitches> important to have funded <twitches> the... most <twitches>.

:smallwink:

DreadArchon
2012-02-09, 08:08 PM
Meh. Feeling annoyed that Double Fine beat OOTS seems futile. They are obviously way out of our league.

Gwynfrid
2012-02-09, 08:14 PM

... suddenly broke through the door, yelling: "

MoonCat
2012-02-09, 08:16 PM
Meh. Feeling annoyed that Double Fine beat OOTS seems futile. They are obviously way out of our league.

Of course. That's what I just... <twitches> said. It's <twitches> not that important. <twitch>

(I do agree for realz. But there's nothing I like more than making a bad joke about my sanity vs. my competitiveness while secretly voicing something that I'm quite sure a few fans <coughnotmecough> feel)

NOW see if you can figure out my true feelings through all those layers! MWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. <twitches>

SaintRidley
2012-02-09, 08:28 PM

... "Who has the shoes, Bartleby? Why is my mother... sand fingers... My shoes are sand."

I...

SweetBB
2012-02-09, 09:59 PM
... "Who has the shoes, Bartleby? Why is my mother... sand fingers... My shoes are sand."

I...

...knew it was a mistake to lend them to Frank Herbert! *sobs* He even got sand in my...

Advance Strat..
2012-02-09, 10:02 PM
Wow, only 10K now from 600K. Shame it'll be slowing down for the night.

darkelf
2012-02-09, 10:27 PM
:mitd: what chart?

Flame of Anor
2012-02-09, 11:43 PM
...knew it was a mistake to lend them to Frank Herbert! *sobs* He even got sand in my...

...squamous gill slits!" The monstrous Baker shook his fist at the sky and...

darkelf
2012-02-09, 11:50 PM
...decried the already ridiculously long thread which was now being transmuted into yet another forum game. "Seventy-three pages!" he roared in the ancient tongue... "That's longer than...

Roland St. Jude
2012-02-10, 12:07 AM
...decried the already ridiculously long thread which was now being transmuted into yet another forum game. "Seventy-three pages!" he roared in the ancient tongue... "That's longer than...
Sheriff: Seriously, cut it out or take it to SMBG.

Duskranger
2012-02-10, 01:28 AM
I am afraid that as soon as the game is added to the rewards I will need to pledge higher. Well I know where my bonus for this year goes to (as if I'm getting any :smallbiggrin:).

Anyway, For the OOTS-game I will change my pledge.

factotum
2012-02-10, 02:50 AM
Sheesh, is that Double Fine pledge drive ever going to slow down? At this rate they'll be the first $10 million funded Kickstarter project! (And the game is going to have the largest credits screen ever, considering well over 3000 people have pledged to get their name into the credits :smalltongue:).

Mind you, our drive ought to win some sort of award for consistency...apart from a slight wobble the first weekend the upward slope of the line on the chart has been amazingly straight!

B. Dandelion
2012-02-10, 04:41 AM
I am afraid that as soon as the game is added to the rewards I will need to pledge higher. Well I know where my bonus for this year goes to (as if I'm getting any :smallbiggrin:).

Anyway, For the OOTS-game I will change my pledge.

Yeah, same here. I have all the books, but not the game, and I've thought about getting it but always been just a little too cheap.

It's probably been said a million times (I haven't exactly been able to keep up with this thread!), but I have been impressed and more than a bit moved to watch Mr. Burlew's reaction to the whole thing. He just sounds so genuinely, humbly touched by all the support, and I can honestly believe it's for the sake of the people who want the books. It makes me feel good to think authors I like are good people. How can I not want such a man to have my money? And it sounds way too much like sucking up, but seriously, the fans are crazy enthusiastic, the author's moved, the prizes are great fun and everyone's winning. It just gets this big "d'aaaw" out of me.

Duskranger
2012-02-10, 04:51 AM
Well, I think I need to make a new account for the game, but anyway, I now get the 3 print only books, and I would love to get the game. But in Europe it's not that easy to get those things for a low price.

Trazoi
2012-02-10, 05:09 AM
Sheesh, is that Double Fine pledge drive ever going to slow down? At this rate they'll be the first $10 million funded Kickstarter project! (And the game is going to have the largest credits screen ever, considering well over 3000 people have pledged to get their name into the credits :smalltongue:).
I have to confess, as a big fan of adventure games, Schafer and Double Fine, I really want to see this go as far as it can. The more money they get, the more resources they're going to put into making the game more awesome.

I'm also excited to see some OotS adventure game goodies on the horizon. Extra cards will be great!

RMS Oceanic
2012-02-10, 06:10 AM
I pledged $19 to Mister Schafer, because Guybrush taught me I should never pay more than 20 bucks for a video game. :smalltongue:

I actually pledged $30 because $11 for a soundtrack and a HD documentary sounds a sweet deal. :smallsmile:

Anywho I wonder if we'll hit MP #6 by Saturday night?

Lisselys
2012-02-10, 06:39 AM
Ok, I'm honest, I suck at searching.
I'm from Italy and I'd like to receive the 25$ pack. How do I deal with the shipping cost?

RMS Oceanic
2012-02-10, 06:40 AM
Ok, I'm honest, I suck at searching.
I'm from Italy and I'd like to receive the 25$ pack. How do I deal with the shipping cost?

Pledge $35, then choose the $25 reward.

Trazoi
2012-02-10, 06:47 AM
Or pick the $25 reward, then on the next page up it to $35.

Lisselys
2012-02-10, 06:58 AM

That's all? 10$ for shipping?

RMS Oceanic
2012-02-10, 07:12 AM

Yes. It's a pretty sweet deal for us forners.

Trazoi
2012-02-10, 07:25 AM
I hope Rich isn't eating too much of the costs, because it's a darn good deal.

RMS Oceanic
2012-02-10, 07:37 AM
That's a ding on $600,000! :smallcool:

The Succubus
2012-02-10, 07:41 AM
Meeeeeeeeeeeh, so now when Rich adds Oots Game: Deluxe versions with the mini expansion pack, that'll be ANOTHER thing to add to my order....

Lisselys
2012-02-10, 08:05 AM
I hope Rich isn't eating too much of the costs, because it's a darn good deal.

Damn yeah! I have my girlfriend which is trying to become a writer, and the books' cost are incredibly high! Kind like 16€ for a 18€ book!
However, being a man of commerce and art as he is, I don't think he underestimated this particular...
The update about administration's stuff however worries me :smallfrown:

SteveDJ
2012-02-10, 10:21 AM

For several of the lower reward levels, yes. (Each reward lists how much to add to the reward level for Intl shipping). I just mention this because some of the higher rewards, (that is, larger packages), require add $37 for Intl shipping.

Tanuki Tales
2012-02-10, 11:24 AM
I've missed soooo many pages. D:

rewinn
2012-02-10, 11:41 AM
I just gotta say: that new "Whole Set" offer was way too tempting! I was going to pledge at the minimum level but, well, I've wanted the complete set for a while but couldn't justify it to myself. Well played, sir!

Shonen Hero
2012-02-10, 12:43 PM
Yeah, same here. I have all the books, but not the game, and I've thought about getting it but always been just a little too cheap.

It's probably been said a million times (I haven't exactly been able to keep up with this thread!), but I have been impressed and more than a bit moved to watch Mr. Burlew's reaction to the whole thing. He just sounds so genuinely, humbly touched by all the support, and I can honestly believe it's for the sake of the people who want the books. It makes me feel good to think authors I like are good people. How can I not want such a man to have my money? And it sounds way too much like sucking up, but seriously, the fans are crazy enthusiastic, the author's moved, the prizes are great fun and everyone's winning. It just gets this big "d'aaaw" out of me.

I agree with the sentiment completely, Dandelion. Instead of a single, selfish Charlie Sheen 'winning' everyone gets to get on this winning.

Speaking of, finally pledged! I might pledge more for the game, if it's available toward the end of the drive (which I have no doubt it will be, sooner or later)

Musta Nuoli
2012-02-10, 12:47 PM
I've decided to finally stop my perennial lurking on these forums. It's time to say something worth saying, like "I pledge allegiance to the OOTS - here's my money for the Kickstarter project". Let's see how high the chart will go!

Baphomet
2012-02-10, 01:16 PM
I, for one, could totally get behind a "buy Rich a Cintiq" line. I really hope he makes a profit off of this, as in I hope people actually buy some books after he goes to all this trouble.

I've shot him a kickstarter message asking whether it would be more beneficial to him for me to donate 10 to the kickstarter for the PDFs, then buy the books when they print, or to donate 10 + book price to the kickstarter and select the 222 reward. I'm really only interested in the books and PDFs.

In case he doesn't get to my message in the sea of other messages, do we have any speculation here?

CDP
2012-02-10, 01:25 PM
I, for one, could totally get behind a "buy Rich a Cintiq" line. I really hope he makes a profit off of this, as in I hope people actually buy some books after he goes to all this trouble.

I've shot him a kickstarter message asking whether it would be more beneficial to him for me to donate 10 to the kickstarter for the PDFs, then buy the books when they print, or to donate 10 + book price to the kickstarter and select the 222 reward. I'm really only interested in the books and PDFs.

In case he doesn't get to my message in the sea of other messages, do we have any speculation here?

I'd say it's more beneficial to you to select the 222 reward. It includes SS&DT which is very popular for this drive and may be hard to get afterwards.

Forbiddenwar
2012-02-10, 01:27 PM
I might pledge more for the game, if it's available toward the end of the drive (which I have no doubt it will be, sooner or later)

Great thing about kickstarter is that you can increase your pledge now in order to push it over the game line and then select that reward when it comes available. That's what I do. I increase my pledge by another $60 in the hopes to push the line over. If it doesn't happen, I might decrease it.

Douglas
2012-02-10, 01:34 PM

Well, the most beneficial to Rich option would be for you to make an enormous pledge on kickstarter and then select a reward that costs a lot less.

In terms of paying the minimum for your reward and viewing it as a purchase, I'm not sure which one would get a higher amount of your money into Rich's pockets but I'm fairly confident he'd prefer a kickstarter pledge and say it would help him assess demand more accurately.

Xapi
2012-02-10, 01:41 PM
Well, the most beneficial to Rich option would be for you to make an enormous pledge on kickstarter and then select a reward that costs a lot less.

In terms of paying the minimum for your reward and viewing it as a purchase, I'm not sure which one would get a higher amount of your money into Rich's pockets but I'm fairly confident he'd prefer a kickstarter pledge and say it would help him assess demand more accurately.

Actually, at this point where the whole pack of full prints is guaranteed, economically speaking, I think it's better for Rich if you buy via Ookdook.

Edit: Altough it is true that if you're interested in SS&DT, you should probably pledge for it.

Baphomet
2012-02-10, 01:58 PM
Douglas, my thinking was that Rich already said he doesn't want to make any money off of the kickstarter that isn't immediately put back into funding more books and rewards, and that the only profit he'll make from all this is the profit from the book sales after the printing. Now all the books are funded and he's having to come up with new things to put the money towards and still isn't keeping anything for himself.

My interpretation of these facts is that the worst outcome for Rich at this point is if he spends all this kickstarter money reprinting books, making and shipping the various rewards, and then nobody buys the books from ookdook because everyone who wanted one already got it in a reward, which he gets no profit from.

Cazaril
2012-02-10, 02:00 PM
To be honest, if you really want to get SS&DT, you might want to buy it from Ookoodook now. I got onto the Kickstarter bandwagon late and wanted to get SS&DT for my brother's birthday, but all the "just SS&DT" options were gone. So I ordered it from Ookoodook, and it's already been shipped. The stock will be pretty darn low after this pledge drive is over, so you might want to get it as soon as possible.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-02-10, 02:11 PM
My interpretation of these facts is that the worst outcome for Rich at this point is if he spends all this kickstarter money reprinting books, making and shipping the various rewards, and then nobody buys the books from ookdook because everyone who wanted one already got it in a reward, which he gets no profit from.

I know at least one person who is getting the books from Ookoodook instead of from the Kickstarter rewards.

Gullintanni
2012-02-10, 02:33 PM
To be honest, if you really want to get SS&DT, you might want to buy it from Ookoodook now. I got onto the Kickstarter bandwagon late and wanted to get SS&DT from my brother's birthday, but all the "just SS&DT" options were gone. So I ordered it from Ookoodook, and it's already been shipped. The stock will be pretty darn low after this pledge drive is over, so you might want to get it as soon as possible.

I did this too. Though I'm also one of the $83 Kickstarter buy ins. I bought SoD and SSaDT on OokooDook partly for fear that SSaDT would go out of stock, and partly because I know Rich isn't seeing much (if any) profit off the Kickstarter drive. This way I can put some profit in his pocket too.

Balain
2012-02-10, 04:56 PM
I know when the books are reprinted, and I'm working again I plan to buy all the books again from ookoodok for my girlfriends son.

I could be wrong but there are also a lot f pledges that don't include books some of those could very well buy books later giving Rich some profit.

Tanuki Tales
2012-02-10, 05:50 PM
Would anyone be lovely enough to break down the price of the different reward levels compared to how much it would be if you purchased said items from one of the online stores Rich puts his material through?

I have a point to prove and I know someone already did a similar breakdown (several times even) earlier on in the thread.

And...well...70+ pages is a lot to comb through. :smallredface:

CDP
2012-02-10, 06:02 PM
Would anyone be lovely enough to break down the price of the different reward levels compared to how much it would be if you purchased said items from one of the online stores Rich puts his material through?

I have a point to prove and I know someone already did a similar breakdown (several times even) earlier on in the thread.

And...well...70+ pages is a lot to come through. :smallredface:

I'll save you a long explanation.

If you want nothing but the books, you could get them for less through ookoodook.

However, there are a couple of kinks here.

First is shipping. Ordering the books separately increases shipping costs.

Second is SS&DT. Alot of people are getting it through this pledge. If you don't secure one now, it might not be possible to do so later.

Third is the PDFs. Since they aren't being printed (yet) Rich has no shipping costs, but only those who pledge get the file(s). If you order through Ookoodook, you won't get them.

It's easily as big as On the Origin of PCs already all together and adding that to the full set of books for a $222 pledge is a fantastic deal. Even if you discount the other little included knick-knacks.

I believe this is what previous analyses came down to. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

jmucchiello
2012-02-10, 06:27 PM
Has the pace slowed down? Or has Rich just started using goals with larger jumps to slow down his commitments?

bjornthedwarf
2012-02-10, 06:32 PM
I just updated the media tracking forum thread for the OotS campaign and discovered something surprising. We're picking up some more exposure thanks to the Double Fine drive. There have been a couple of stories, including one from the AV Club, that mentioned the Order of the Stick drive as another example of an established brand using Kickstarter.

Also, I share everyone's concerns about Rich coming out of this in a good financial position. I would much rather see him walk away with quite a bit in his bank account than get anymore rewards at this point. I understand his sense of obligation, but I personally want him to financially get a windfall from this.

Weimann
2012-02-10, 06:45 PM
Has the pace slowed down? Or has Rich just started using goals with larger jumps to slow down his commitments?The pace has decidedly slowed down, as can be seen in the graph. however, it's still going strong, and the dip is far from as big as could have reasonably been expected.

I'm inclined to believe that the current slow rate of decrease will keep steady, so we'll raise progressively less per day but still a reasonable amount. Possibly with a little jump after the next Mystery Prize (which is less than $20,000 away now!), but not so much as previously.

I'd have hoped that we could join the newly created $1,000,000 club, but it seems that without some strong measure to shake more backers out of the woodwork, we'll have to settle for getting very close. The $800,000 range should be doable before it ends.

Seraphem
2012-02-10, 07:06 PM
Either way Rich should be making a good bit of money from this, though not directly. Even assuming a large % of people that want to comic get it now, there will still be some that either don't have the money ATM or just don't know about the drive. And even with low internet sales for awhile, he already said he'd be shipping a good deal to gameing stores that were interested, and he gets the money up front there, doesn't have to wait till someone actually buys it from the store, so that is a guaranteed $$$ for him.

If anything the huge success of this drive could encourage more retailers to place orders/place bigger orders once the realize how popular it is.

Forbiddenwar
2012-02-10, 08:31 PM
The pace has decidedly slowed down, as can be seen in the graph.

Are we looking at the same graph?
Between 2/7-2/8 it went up about 35K
Between 2/8-2/9 it went up about 33K
Between 2/9-2/10 it went up about 33K

If there's a slow down, I can't see it.

Shonen Hero
2012-02-10, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I can't see the slowdown you guys are talking about either. Oo

ella ventic
2012-02-10, 08:58 PM
If we figure a "day" is the 24 hours from noon-noon US Eastern time, the daily totals have been approximately (rounded to the nearest thousand dollars and spoilered for length):

Day 1: $47 K
Day 2: $44 K
Day 3: $35 K
Day 4: $24 K
Day 5: $41 K
Day 6: $30 K
Day 7: $13 K
Day 8: $12 K
Day 9: $60 K
Day 10: $40 K
Day 11: $41 K
Day 12: $34 K
Day 13: $26 K
Day 14: $18 K
Day 15: $20 K
Day 16: $31 K
Day 17: $27 K
Day 18: $32 K
Day 19: $29 K

which takes us up to noon Feb. 10th (about 8 1/2 hours ago). The last 8 1/2 hours have garnered about $10,000 which, if that pace continued, would put us at a little over $28,000 for the next day.

Other than the weekends, of which both so far have been slow (the first more than the second, but that was made up for by the addition of Don't Split the Party to the incentives which accounted for the $60,000 day), there does seem to be a longer-term slowdown as the per-day average is dropping below 30K. It is a little hard to tell due to the small sample size, though.

I'm pretty sure that if/when more pledge incentives appear, it will spike in a hurry-- certainly for the board game, if all the clamor on the comment threads is any indication. But for now, we're dealing with a mere $28K a day.

Which would still have met the original goal in two days' time. So we're doing okay, is what I'm saying. :smallsmile:

Umberhulk
2012-02-10, 10:55 PM
Well there's a swag pack now (two actually), so thank you Rich.

stips
2012-02-10, 11:13 PM
-places pledge-

Full book series, here I come. Thank you for setting this up Giant, glad I could contribute :)

NerfTW
2012-02-10, 11:15 PM
and partly because I know Rich isn't seeing much (if any) profit off the Kickstarter drive. This way I can put some profit in his pocket too.

That's not accurate at all. What makes you think that? He's reprinting the books. The profit comes from selling those books, not the drive itself. If you mean the pledge awards, you're paying more than the books sell for on Ookookdook already, so why would you think that isn't a profit?

I think you're taking his statement about shipping and postage too far. He's certainly going to make a profit off this drive, he's reprinted every book, which people have been demanding for years now.

Yendor
2012-02-10, 11:33 PM
That's not accurate at all. What makes you think that? He's reprinting the books. The profit comes from selling those books, not the drive itself. If you mean the pledge awards, you're paying more than the books sell for on Ookookdook already, so why would you think that isn't a profit?

I think you're taking his statement about shipping and postage too far. He's certainly going to make a profit off this drive, he's reprinted every book, which people have been demanding for years now.

Exactly. The purpose isn't for Rich to have a big pile of money, it's an investment so he can have a bigger pile of money later on.

Paine
2012-02-11, 12:14 AM
Ok, I'm ready to upgrade to THE WHOLE STORY. I just hope we hit the top line on the chart so I can possibly get the board game too.

Chronos
2012-02-11, 12:20 AM
Aside: After placing my order only three days ago, my Snips arrived already today. Good job on the prompt shipping, Ookookdook!:smallbiggrin:

MaximKat
2012-02-11, 12:28 AM
Seems like no update today :(

Belril Duskwalk
2012-02-11, 12:34 AM
Seems like no update today :(

Probably saving the update until we achieve Mystery Prize 6. Otherwise what is there really to say? 'No new goals met, no new rewards added, continue about your day'?

EDIT: Or what ella said. That makes sense too.

ella ventic
2012-02-11, 12:36 AM
From the comments thread on the kickstarter site:

Rich Burlew about 6 hours ago
I'm not going to be able to post an update until much later (maybe even in the morning),

silvadel
2012-02-11, 12:53 AM
I was thinking maybe a digital only level might be a good thing -- It could be say $8 and not include the magnet. I only bring this up because some people might not want the magnet but feel compelled to get all of those pdfs. It saves time and effort on the giants side in that something does not need to be mailed. Plus it is a level for the paranoid out there who dont want to give an address out.

MurkyMajare
2012-02-11, 01:17 AM
Remember though,

When Rich sends an email asking for address and such for the magnet, just respond that you do not want the magnet, and you get to pledge the "full" 10 without anything lost to shipping.

Flame of Anor
2012-02-11, 01:22 AM

...was waiting for my pizza to arrive, suddenly...

I...

...squamous gill slits!" The monstrous Baker shook his fist at the sky and...

Sheriff: Seriously, cut it out or take it to SMBG.

And thus the great saga of Rich Baker ended and was compiled here for posterity.

ti'esar
2012-02-11, 01:24 AM
And thus the great saga of Rich Baker ended and was compiled here for posterity.

Curses. Until I read the spoiler, I thought that was a compilation of WampaX's posts, not that forum game.

Porthos
2012-02-11, 02:16 AM
I was thinking maybe a digital only level might be a good thing -- It could be say $8 and not include the magnet. I only bring this up because some people might not want the magnet but feel compelled to get all of those pdfs. It saves time and effort on the giants side in that something does not need to be mailed. Plus it is a level for the paranoid out there who dont want to give an address out.

Rich talked about this earlier. Just put in "I don't want a magnet" in the address field. But there isn't going to be a "digital only" pledge.

Besides, I'm of the opinion that $10 is far too cheap for all the things people will be getting. :smallwink:

Chess435
2012-02-11, 03:47 AM
Curses. Until I read the spoiler, I thought that was a compilation of WampaX's posts, not that forum game.

That would take a while, seeing as how his earliest post I could find dates back almost a decade. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7333) Yes, that's the very first OOTS thread. (bottom of the first page)

VinRaven
2012-02-11, 05:06 AM
Exactly. The purpose isn't for Rich to have a big pile of money, it's an investment so he can have a bigger pile of money later on.

Not to mention that even if he is only profiting by the sale of the books, getting the books through Kickstarter means that he'll be getting profit from the sale of the books all the sooner.

ti'esar
2012-02-11, 05:43 AM
That would take a while, seeing as how his earliest post I could find dates back almost a decade. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7333) Yes, that's the very first OOTS thread. (bottom of the first page)

Okay, poor wording. But I meant the Legend of the Rich Baker posts woven through this thread.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-02-11, 07:43 AM
And that the one I've been waiting for:

See you all back here Monday, when I fully expect to be adding those board game packages. Have a nice weekend, everyone.

--Rich Burlew

I'm already in for the $25 package, and was going to kick in another $5 for a second Coloring Book. Now let's see where the Board Game falls into the mix. :smallbiggrin:

Sethala
2012-02-11, 10:58 AM

Not only that, but by the time any of the books sell out, he'll hopefully have enough money banked to do a reprint after only a few months, instead of a few years.

Avaris
2012-02-11, 12:03 PM

Also in that thread: the very first discussion on V's gender (page 2). It's a thing of beauty :smallbiggrin:

SaintRidley
2012-02-11, 12:26 PM
Also in that thread: the very first discussion on V's gender (page 2). It's a thing of beauty :smallbiggrin:

Indeed. The acceptance of the ambiguity is my favorite part.

Also:

But seriously, if I ever figure out a way to do plushies, Haley and Elan are at the top of the list. They would just be sooooo cute.

We need these. We need these nine years ago. Or for a future kickstarter.

Also, WampaX managed to steer discussion toward a particular hentai film after the spiked tentacles of forced intrusion it.

The wild west days of the playground, my friends!

Crisis21
2012-02-11, 01:01 PM
Roy is going to fall straight through the top of the graph and land on the dragon, isn't he?