PDA

View Full Version : The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

The Giant
2012-01-22, 12:49 PM
Remember when I teased that I would be announcing a plan for getting the older OOTS books back in print? Well, that plan is here.

For the next 30 days, we're going to be running a pledge drive to raise the money needed to send War and XPs, the book that has been out-of-print the longest, back to the presses for a new run. We're using a site called Kickstarter to do so. If you're not familiar with it, it's a way for self-published creators such as myself to raise money in a risk-free way, because no one gets charged for their pledge unless the entire project meets its goal. You can read more about our pledge here (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive), including a brief discussion about how Kickstarter works.

The most important part for the average OOTS fan is that if this succeeds, all the backers will get access to a brand-new never-before-seen OOTS prequel story. Telling the tale of the paladin O-Chul and how he first joined the Sapphire Guard, this PDF file will run at least 20 pages and is drawn in beautiful bluescale to best represent life in Azure City. Here's a shot of the cover:

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/gitpkick/OOTSPDF1_Cover_7in.png

But keep in mind that while I've plotted this story, I haven't written or drawn it yet...so if the pledge fails, it may never see the light of day. Dunh dunh DUNNNNNNNH!!

I've also designed a new magnet to match the ones we've given away in the past, this time featuring Roy:

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/gitpkick/RoyMagnet_CloseUp.gif

And of course, you can order copies of the hopefully-soon-to-be-reprinted War and XPs. Plus, for a few fans with deep pockets, we're offering a handful of premium rewards, including original crayon drawings, autographed copies of certain books, the chance to commission another separate OOTS story with any character you choose, and even a once-in-a-lifetime walk-on cameo for your D&D character in The Order of the Stick.

I'll mostly be making progress reports using Kickstarter's update feature, but I'm going to keep this thread open for questions about the project from people who are curious. Feel free to ask about the project, Kickstarter in general, or the new story. Thanks in advance to everyone who pledges!

Jzadek
2012-01-22, 01:01 PM
I wish I had the cash to pledge more, as some of those rewards are properly awesome, but I guess I'll have to stick with the $10. Poor Tarn Merrick will never become a star....
Ah, well. It's good to see these return to print, I've been looking for them for a while. Do we have any info on when we'll see the Origin of PCs come out, assuming the pledge works?

Druness
2012-01-22, 01:03 PM
Okay, I've pledged $52 for a copy and shipping to Canada. Kickstarter's amounts are going up fast!

Avaris
2012-01-22, 01:04 PM

You had my money at 'O-chul'

Mando Knight
2012-01-22, 01:09 PM
Does this mean that all the comic pages for the next few weeks will be replaced by hour-or-longer specials featuring How the Paladin Got His Scar, with "commercial breaks" reminding us that we could get a Roy magnet? :smalltongue:

(Those things always messed up my TV-watching schedule as a kid. A lack of cable didn't help, either...)

But more seriously, if I had 500 gp $45 or more slack in my budget, I'd definitely pledge that much. Looks like I'll just have to rearrange numbers so I can squeeze out that $10...

The Giant
2012-01-22, 01:13 PM
Do we have any info on when we'll see the Origin of PCs come out, assuming the pledge works?

If the drive meets the listed goal, then we'll start working toward the amount needed for On the Origin of PCs. I'll tell you how much that is when we get near it. The good news is, that book is a LOT cheaper to print than WAXP. The bad news is that its been in print longer and has been out-of-stock for less time, so not as many people will be clamoring for it. If we get the increased amount then, both books will be reprinted at the same time; this would actually be ideal, since the printer will give me a slight price break for printing multiple books at once.

If the WAXP drive succeeds but not by enough to reprint OTOPCs, then it probably won't be reprinted until after I've put out the next new OOTS book, whenever that ends up being.

Ted The Bug
2012-01-22, 01:26 PM
Wow, between this and the new comics, you've been really busy these past few weeks. I like it!

In the immortal words of Phillip J. Fry, "Shut up and take my money!" Kickstarter is awesome, and I'm glad you've found a way to fund future projects without having to reply on donations.

Avaris
2012-01-22, 01:36 PM
Question regarding the drawings of characters (specifically the $600 pledge offer): by 'D&D' is it correct to assume that the offer is limited to generically fantasy characters as you'd find in a normal campaign, or is D&D supposed to encompass rps in general?

For example, if requested would you be willing/able to draw characters from a sci-fi/superhero/[insert other setting here] game?

At this stage I'm not asking with a particular thing in mind (haven't yet figured out how much I can afford), but the question occured to me and I thought others may wish to know the answer.

Whiffet
2012-01-22, 01:37 PM
Did you say O-Chul? YES! Here, take my money! Take five thousand dollars! (Heh, yeah, like I could afford that much... oh well.)

The little comic on that page is hilarious. How long is the line in it? If it won't have a wait of more than a couple hours, I'd like to get in it.

The Giant
2012-01-22, 01:40 PM
Question regarding the drawings of characters (specifically the $600 pledge offer): by 'D&D' is it correct to assume that the offer is limited to generically fantasy characters as you'd find in a normal campaign, or is D&D supposed to encompass rps in general?

For example, if requested would you be willing/able to draw characters from a sci-fi/superhero/[insert other setting here] game?

At this stage I'm not asking with a particular thing in mind (haven't yet figured out how much I can afford), but the question occured to me and I thought others may wish to know the answer.

Yes, absolutely, whatever RPG characters you have in mind will be fine, as long as you're willing to explain whatever races or equipment or what have you that the other game features. Also, no characters that are the intellectual property of someone else; you can ask me to draw YOUR superheroes, but you can't ask me to draw the Justice League.

I may change the reward wording to reflect that...

Gift Jeraff
2012-01-22, 01:48 PM
Hmmm... A signed crayon drawing of Xykon and Thog is very tempting. Though I damaged DStP's front cover badly, so a new signed one would be sweet, but it's not like I put my books on display. And my money-saving gut says just go for the $10 one (which is what I went with, for now). So...conflicted... :smallfrown:

Very excited about the O-Chul story, though. Really curious to see how bluescale turns out.

EDIT: Heheh. Just noticed the mouseover text on the news page. :smallbiggrin:

Anarion
2012-01-22, 01:57 PM
e-mailed my D&D group about possibly raising up to the $600 amount to get our party drawn.

I have a question though. If we raised a bit more than $600, would it be possible to add a 7th character to the drawing (6 magnets would still be fine, but we have 7 PCs in our campaign)?

The Succubus
2012-01-22, 02:04 PM
Wow, between this and the new comics, you've been really busy these past few weeks. I like it!

In the immortal words of Phillip J. Fry, "Shut up and take my money!" Kickstarter is awesome, and I'm glad you've found a way to fund future projects without having to reply on donations.

Seconded - just plegded $70 for a signed War and XP. =D

YohanLeafheart
2012-01-22, 02:06 PM
Nooo Too late and missed the quota on the $100 mark =( So I had to settle on the $60 One (plus shipping). Rich, do you think you can find a few more of those special edition magnets around so I can up my pledge and hit it?

Another thing I would like to ask. Is it possible to try to fund the O'chul backstory as a printed book? With a new level possible? I would love to have it marked as -2 and have it on my collection.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-22, 02:09 PM
I'm curious who pledged $1,250 & which character they picked.

Sadly that's too rich for my blood, but you'll probably get a $60 one from me.

The Giant
2012-01-22, 02:15 PM
e-mailed my D&D group about possibly raising up to the $600 amount to get our party drawn.

I have a question though. If we raised a bit more than $600, would it be possible to add a 7th character to the drawing (6 magnets would still be fine, but we have 7 PCs in our campaign)?

Yeah, I'm sure we can work something out on that front. Frankly, I'm not going to quibble about a 7th PC because I assumed that the 6 PC party would have 1-3 "pets" anyway (animal companions, familiars, etc.). So it's fine if you want to stretch it to seven.

Rich, do you think you can find a few more of those special edition magnets around so I can up my pledge and hit it?

I don't have any more, but I have calls in to some friends who might from back in the convention days. If they become available, you'll be able to switch your pledge then.

The Giant
2012-01-22, 02:15 PM
I'm curious who pledged $1,250 & which character they picked.

When I find out, I'll let you know. :smallsmile:

YohanLeafheart
2012-01-22, 02:16 PM
Gah, and another question, is it possible to choose more than one reward with a pledge? So for example, if I pledge $90, can I get the $60 level plus 3 of the 10$ level?

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-22, 02:20 PM
Gah, and another question, is it possible to choose more than one reward with a pledge? So for example, if I pledge $90, can I get the $60 level plus 3 of the 10$ level?

Similar question. If I pledge 70 & 75 (including international postage) for the WotXP & DStP ones, I can do that right?

CloakedDancer
2012-01-22, 02:22 PM
Yes, absolutely, whatever RPG characters you have in mind will be fine, as long as you're willing to explain whatever races or equipment or what have you that the other game features. Also, no characters that are the intellectual property of someone else; you can ask me to draw YOUR superheroes, but you can't ask me to draw the Justice League.

I may change the reward wording to reflect that...

Thanks for the clarification. We switched to Pathfinder recently, and that was a concern of mine. But now... :smallsmile:

ORione
2012-01-22, 02:25 PM

You could probably pledge multiple times.

Quinton250
2012-01-22, 02:26 PM
Okay, I've pledged $52 for a copy and shipping to Canada. Kickstarter's amounts are going up fast!

Ditto for me. However, I have an additional question.

Assuming this drive succeeds, would it be possible to bundle other (in stock) books along with the copy of War & XPs I'll be receiving, and save on some shipping costs?

EDIT: I should clarify, I mean a selection of whatever books would be available at ookoodook at the time of the drives completion. I wouldn't mind adding Snips/Snails and maybe a compilation book or two depending on what's available.

The Giant
2012-01-22, 02:28 PM

Unfortunately, you can't pick more than one reward or pledge multiple times from the same account. I'll have to think about how to work this idea and I'll get back to you later on it.

Similar question. If I pledge 70 & 75 (including international postage) for the WotXP & DStP ones, I can do that right?

If you want both, pledge for the Don't Split the Party reward, then use the messaging at Kickstarter to send me a note saying that you want the signed WAXP too. Make sure you include what country you're in. I'll get back to you with the price for both, depending on shipping concerns.

YohanLeafheart
2012-01-22, 02:35 PM
Unfortunately, you can't pick more than one reward or pledge multiple times from the same account. I'll have to think about how to work this idea and I'll get back to you later on it.

Thank you, I appreciate. Also, is it possible to get signed copies of other books besides War and Xp and DStP? I ask because I do not own yet the Dragon Sails and Start of Darkness, but do have DStP. So if I could get them signed through the drive I would probably do so.

bluewurm
2012-01-22, 02:36 PM
Rich, a few questions if I may, mostly about pledge levels:

1. You've set the goal at $57K, which is the minimum needed to get 'War and XPs' back into print... but how many copies will get printed? could people still get "shut out"? presumably anyone who makes the $45 level pledge WILL get a copy IF it ends up being reprinted (since the $45 level includes the book.) There is no gaurantee of availability at lower pledge levels though, right?

2. Can you give us a rough estimate (either now or once we hit the "war and xps" goal) of what it will take to get the other books reprinted?

3. the $100 level is sold out, was that a mistake or did you run out of the older magnets? if you only ran out of SOME of them could you add a new level to allow the ones you do still have to be purchased?

4. I'm confused about the $1250 pledge level, everyone gets it as long as one person pays, right? (assuming this to be the case, and assuming Rich doesnt mind, could we find a large group willing to "go in on this together" to make it more manageable?)

I'm in for at least the $45 to get a copy of the reprinted book, but I'll wait to see what you (Rich) have to say about the magnets before I actually pledge, thanks!

MoonCat
2012-01-22, 02:39 PM
Ach. I only wish I had 5,000 dollars. At any rate, I'm definitely going to take part in this!

Hmm. Maybe I can convince my family to help me donate if I pretend it's for my birthday...

Maxios
2012-01-22, 02:39 PM
Would the RPG character appear in a bit role (ie: in the background of a scene in the tavern), or would the character have a more important role?

YohanLeafheart
2012-01-22, 02:41 PM
Ach. I only wish I had 5,000 dollars. At any rate, I'm definitely going to take part in this!

Tell me about it. My problem is that my wedding is this year. For a moment there I though about assault my wedding account to pay for it but I would be divorced in no time if I did that.

Also Rick, can I use that image on your signature to link to the drive on the site I'm an admin?

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-22, 02:42 PM

If you want both, pledge for the Don't Split the Party reward, then use the messaging at Kickstarter to send me a note saying that you want the signed WAXP too. Make sure you include what country you're in. I'll get back to you with the price for both, depending on shipping concerns.

Done & done. Shipping reduction would be cool if possible.

Edit:

Would the RPG character appear in a bit role (ie: in the background of a scene in the tavern), or would the character have a more important role?

I assume they'll get a strip where they meet & interact with the OotS members. They're the focus, with little to no story advancement in it. Sort of like Fruit Pie the Sorcerer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0091.html).

MoonCat
2012-01-22, 02:44 PM

and what would happen if the character would look completely out of place in whatever themed place the OoTs will be at?

I can hardly imagine Enor fitting in at Azure City, or Miko in Bleedingham, and they're actually part of the story.

The Giant
2012-01-22, 02:47 PM
Thank you, I appreciate. Also, is it possible to get signed copies of other books besides War and Xp and DStP? I ask because I do not own yet the Dragon Sails and Start of Darkness, but do have DStP. So if I could get them signed through the drive I would probably do so.

I may add those later, since it's been requested. I'll have to see what our stock looks like, and I want to make sure I don't bite off more autographed packages than I can chew. If I do add them, you can always change your reward level to the new package at any time (until they sell out, that is).

Rich, a few questions if I may, mostly about pledge levels:

1. You've set the goal at $57K, which is the minimum needed to get 'War and XPs' back into print... but how many copies will get printed? could people still get "shut out"? presumably anyone who makes the $45 level pledge WILL get a copy IF it ends up being reprinted (since the $45 level includes the book.) There is no gaurantee of availability at lower pledge levels though, right?

The current pledge goal is for printing several thousand copies, enough to be available at least on Ookoodook for some time after the pledge is over. Hopefully, it will be enough to get them back into comic stores, too. So the chance of being completely shut out from getting a WAXP at all this year is pretty low, if the drive is successful.

2. Can you give us a rough estimate (either now or once we hit the "war and xps" goal) of what it will take to get the other books reprinted?

I will definitely give that estimate once the WAXP goal has been hit, yes.

3. the $100 level is sold out, was that a mistake or did you run out of the older magnets? if you only ran out of SOME of them could you add a new level to allow the ones you do still have to be purchased?

I'll have to talk to my people about our magnet stock, but I do know that Belkar was in very, very short supply.

4. I'm confused about the $1250 pledge level, everyone gets it as long as one person pays, right? (assuming this to be the case, and assuming Rich doesnt mind, could we find a large group willing to "go in on this together" to make it more manageable?)

Yes, everyone who pledges gets it as long as one person pledges. And yes, it would be entirely possible to pool money together, though only one person will get the crayon drawing included. (If a group does raise the money, they can contact me and let me know how many copies of the PDF they'll need. We can probably get everyone a magnet, too, as long as it's under 50 people.)

CoffeeIncluded
2012-01-22, 02:49 PM
Damn being a broke college student; I'm stuck with the $10 pledge. Sorry!

The Giant
2012-01-22, 02:51 PM

The character will be a walk-on cameo, appearing in only one strip—meaning that they will have little permanent influence on the story. They will have their name mentioned by at least one character, though, and they may have a line of dialogue if I can work it in naturally (but no promises on that part).

Also Rick, can I use that image on your signature to link to the drive on the site I'm an admin?

Yes, go ahead.

Elder Tsofu
2012-01-22, 02:55 PM
Sigh, Amazon - the nemesis of my credit card. For some reason that site hates it, which it has proven a dozen times over with this drive. -.-
Or possibly my bank hates Amazon for some odd reason.

Well, I'll buy the books (and hopefully the new .pdf) from Ookoodook when the time comes round - someone must do that too! :smallamused:

SaintRidley
2012-01-22, 02:57 PM
If I understand what Kickstarter is showing me, I managed to luck into being the last person to pledge and select the $60 signed War and XPs option.

Sweet.

This is a great and wonderful thing, Rich, and I look forward to seeing this meet and exceed its goal.

Juggling Goth
2012-01-22, 02:59 PM
Giant, you are ON FIRE right now.

(Not literally. That would be bad.)

MoonCat
2012-01-22, 03:06 PM
If I understand what Kickstarter is showing me, I managed to luck into being the last person to pledge and select the $60 signed War and XPs option.

Sweet.

This is a great and wonderful thing, Rich, and I look forward to seeing this meet and exceed its goal.

Dammit, I wanted that one. :smallsmile:

Eesh. Giant, if I may suggest something, increasing the signed book rewards may be an excellent move. It looks like lots of people want it, an extra fifteen dollars for you merely by signing the book before you send it out, and some people who already have War and XPs might go up from backing with 10 dollars to 60 just to get a signed copy(for me at least, it's just the signed copy and the O-chul book that interest me).

FerhagoRosewood
2012-01-22, 03:10 PM
Sigh, if I had it I would have loved to pay to see a small story featuring Lien. But $45 is as high as I can go.

Lord Ruby34
2012-01-22, 03:24 PM
Well, there goes fourty five dollars. At least it's money well spent.

Edna
2012-01-22, 03:25 PM
Sleeping in + Pacific time zone = autographed copies all sold out :smallfrown:

I understand you want to limit the number of copies you have to sign, but there's at least one more person interested in an autographed book.

Edna

Juggling Goth
2012-01-22, 03:29 PM
*gasp*

Is that Miko in the background of the O-Chul book cover?

fishboy
2012-01-22, 03:34 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you Giant! I've looked high and low for WaXP and now you come through for me :smallsmile:
I got "Paladin blues" through ebay, but it bugged me that the money I paid did not go to support you and the comic!
I hope I made up for it by pledging for the signed copy now. It's not all generosity on my part though: I have the small hope, that when it's being sent from the author, it will be seen as a "gift" rather than a "purchase" by the draconian customs people here in Denmark, as to avoid paying the added duty of 35$ :smallfurious:
Don't listen to MoonCat, if you sign more copies it will hurt my resell valu.....ermn, never mind - Seriously though: she makes a good point, seems a lot of people are willing to pay 15$ for your autograph, I say let them if it helps the drive!

Whiffet
2012-01-22, 03:38 PM
I also think a few more autographed copies would be a good idea. There's no way I was the only person who donated more than planned in order to get an autographed War and XPs.

The Giant
2012-01-22, 03:38 PM
Regarding autographed books: We may add more as part of two-book packages (i.e. one copy each of WAXP and Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, for example) once I hear back about our stock. Also, anyone who has the money can still get an autographed copy with a crayon drawing.

Ultimately, the real limiter on autographs is the fact that they need to be shipped out by me, Rich, instead of the far-more-efficient folks at Ookoodook. The more I add to the pile, the more time I have to spend doing shipping instead of working on comics. But I'll try to see if I can squeeze a few more in later in the week.

Agnostik
2012-01-22, 03:39 PM
I will most definitely try to donate if I get my paycheck by the end of the project, even though I'll probably never buy a printed book (shipping to my country is run by morons and crooks). Good luck with this.

Elder Tsofu
2012-01-22, 03:52 PM
I'm feeling slightly crazy at the moment and entertain the idea of signing up for one of those 250$ pledges to get the crayon-drawing and perhaps add to 300 for the book (if I can wrestle amazon into submission), I just thought of one thing.
Would we be allowed to upload a scanned copy of said crayon on the forums in a spread the joy kind of spirit, or would it be against advanced copyright rules?

I just thought it would be a fun thing to do if we were allowed to.

The Giant
2012-01-22, 04:01 PM
I'm feeling slightly crazy at the moment and entertain the idea of signing up for one of those 250$ pledges to get the crayon-drawing and perhaps add to 300 for the book (if I can wrestle amazon into submission), I just thought of one thing.
Would we be allowed to upload a scanned copy of said crayon on the forums in a spread the joy kind of spirit, or would it be against advanced copyright rules?

I just thought it would be a fun thing to do if we were allowed to.

Yes, absolutely! That would be totally fine. :smallsmile:

Firemeier
2012-01-22, 04:04 PM
Sweet! Managed to submit my pledge just in time to score one of the last autographed copies.

Also, like some others I would be interested in adding Snips, Snails & Dragon Tales to the package and potentially saving some shipping. Would that be possible? And if yes, how much should we add to the pledge?

Zevox
2012-01-22, 04:07 PM
Bonus OotS stuff for donating to get War and XPs reprinted?

Here, have a bag of money (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9Yuc1bU2A). (Or at least what little I figure I can spare. :smallsigh:)

Zevox

MoonCat
2012-01-22, 04:11 PM
Impressive. It's already at nearly a quarter there. Even after today, when all the time zones will have had their chance to rush about it, there'll still definitely be a stream of latecomers who'll be putting this all up to the goal. This is so exciting!

jidasfire
2012-01-22, 04:16 PM
I was just saying on the Kickstarter page that I can't help but notice someone already bought a new story, which is awesome. Does anyone know who it is, or is that a secret?

(I'm really really hoping it's not the Guy With the Halberd...)

SaintRidley
2012-01-22, 04:19 PM
I was just saying on the Kickstarter page that I can't help but notice someone already bought a new story, which is awesome. Does anyone know who it is, or is that a secret?

I don't know, but if somebody with the means were to commission a StickTales version of Beowulf, I would probably fall in love with them.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-22, 04:24 PM

When I find out, I'll let you know. :smallsmile:

As of now, we have no idea since they didn't come to the thread to tell us it was them (probably a wise decision since it'd likely lead to people wanting them to change their pick). Personally I hope it's Tsukiko, but nobody besides me seems to like her so I'm not holding my breath.

andrechan
2012-01-22, 04:27 PM
Sorry if this is a lame question, but if I pledge for 55$ (I'm from Italy), will I get War and XP, Roy's magnet AND the pdf with Ochul's story?
In this descripition , I don't see the pdf

$45 or more
One newly printed copy of War and XPs, the third book in the Order of the Stick series, plus the Roy Greenhilt magnet, shipped anywhere in the United States. (Canada/Mexico orders, please add $7 extra to your pledge to cover shipping; international orders, add $10.)

SaintRidley
2012-01-22, 04:28 PM
Sorry if this is a lame question, but if I pledge for 55$ (I'm from Italy), will I get War and XP, Roy's magnet AND the pdf with Ochul's story?

From the $10 option:

Plus a digital PDF of the original OOTS story, "How the Paladin Got His Scar," when it is completed. (Note: All of the rewards below this include the digital download as well.)

So yes.

MoonCat
2012-01-22, 04:28 PM

The ten dollar description says it is included with everything higher.

Ninja'd.

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-22, 04:36 PM
The bonus that excites me the most is the potential for additional character stories, so I'm glad Rich approves of people pooling their money together. The only question: How to organise it?

Rich, would it be appropriate to start a thread to organise people willing to sign up to try and donate enough money to get one or both of the remaining character stories?

Dein
2012-01-22, 04:38 PM
Damn, I was hoping to get the $100 one, but those sold out fast.

Is there any chance that another level can be added between $100 and $250? If not, I'll get the $80 instead.

I'd love to do a 100 or more, but 250 is a bit steep for me so soon after the holidays.

At any rate, this is a great idea and hope this works out! WARXP is the only book I'm missing from my collection:smallsmile:

Porthos
2012-01-22, 04:40 PM
I know that your time and resources aren't infinite for this, but would you consider putting in any thing else in the 50-250 pledge ranges as this drive goes on since the $60, $65, and $100 pledge points have already all sold out?

andrechan
2012-01-22, 04:40 PM
Thanks a lot for your answers
I'm a backer now :smallsmile:
P.S I bet in two days we'll reach the goal

Kusand
2012-01-22, 04:42 PM
If we get the crayon drawing, how large is the drawing, and does that include backgrounds etc., or just two crayon characters on a white background? I'd like to get something regardless, but I miiiight be able to talk myself into the crayon...

Porthos
2012-01-22, 04:42 PM
The bonus that excites me the most is the potential for additional character stories, so I'm glad Rich approves of people pooling their money together. The only question: How to organise it?

Rich, would it be appropriate to start a thread to organise people willing to sign up to try and donate enough money to get one or both of the remaining character stories?

Let me know of whatever you're trying to organinze. If you have PayPal, I can always PP whatever we decide on to you (or whoever else winds up in charge) and go from there.

Not sure if I'm going to end up joining or go for something else on the list, but I want the option to get in on this. :smallsmile:

kracken
2012-01-22, 04:43 PM
Yay! I am so excited about this decision Sir Rich. I am going to pinch my pennies very hard this month and shoot to donate $20-50.

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-22, 04:44 PM
Let me know of whatever you're trying to organinze. If you have PayPal, I can always PP whatever we decide on to you (or whoever else winds up in charge) and go from there.

My idea was that everyone coughs up their own pledge directly - otherwise Paypal will suck away quite a lot of that money - and tell Rich in our pledge which Forum Name we correspond to.

MoonCat
2012-01-22, 04:49 PM
Thanks a lot for your answers
I'm a backer now :smallsmile:
P.S I bet in two days we'll reach the goal

You're welcome. :smallbiggrin:

I've seen Kickstarters that ended up being three times the goal by the time the end day showed up.

In fact, what if there ends up being some extra money at the end after you do the reprint? Would you put it aside for the possible new server, or treat it as a (well deserved) bonus?

That actually may be a good idea, doing another Kickstarter for the server. I'm sure many people who missed a signed something this time around would jump to donate again, and you could raise some funds for the server even though the ads are not apparently working well.

Dein
2012-01-22, 04:52 PM
You're welcome. :smallbiggrin:

I've seen Kickstarters that ended up being three times the goal by the time the end day showed up.

In fact, what if there ends up being some extra money at the end after you do the reprint? Would you put it aside for the possible new server, or treat it as a (well deserved) bonus?

That actually may be a good idea, doing another Kickstarter for the server. I'm sure many people who missed a signed something this time around would jump to donate again, and you could raise some funds for the server even though the ads are not apparently working well.

Judging by what has already been said, my guess is that depending on how much is pledged, either more War copies will go into print (less) or it'll go towards getting some of the others back into print (more).

turkishproverb
2012-01-22, 04:53 PM
Wow. I check the page on a lark, see the kickstarter notice, and find that there are already over 300 backers.

I had a similar question.

MoonCat
2012-01-22, 05:03 PM
Judging by what has already been said, my guess is that depending on how much is pledged, either more War copies will go into print (less) or it'll go towards getting some of the others back into print (more).

Oh, I see. Okay.

Also, it's reached over a quarter of the goal by now. Yays for everybody!

RndmNumGen
2012-01-22, 05:07 PM
Would there be any possibility of having a physical copy of the O-Chul Story printed, or maybe added to the War and XPs book, as a revised edition? It's okay if not, but it would be very cool to have that.

Also, the autographed copies ran out really fast :smallfrown:

Aisur
2012-01-22, 05:13 PM
It'd be pretty cool to have a "K" book, maybe with O-Chul's story and the stories created from the $1250 pledge. Maybe with the crayon drawings scanned in as well?

Of course, something like that may not be reasonable cost-wise, but it would make a nice stretch goal.

sparkyinbozo
2012-01-22, 05:20 PM
Dangit, I wanted to pledge for a signed copy, but between the time I saw the notification and by the time I got home they were sold out... :smallfrown:

Honestly, that makes me want to wait for the reprinting rather than pledge.

Porthos
2012-01-22, 05:32 PM
Dangit, I wanted to pledge for a signed copy, but between the time I saw the notification and by the time I got home they were sold out... :smallfrown:

Don't forget though, just pledging $10 gets you the exclusive O-Chul story (and whatever character stories get pledged at $1250 level). So if no more signed copies of whatever book you want become availaible, by chipping in ten bucks now, you still get all new OOTS content. Then just order the book when it becomes available. :smallsmile:

Savannah
2012-01-22, 05:35 PM

So...because you can't get an autographed copy, you're not going to pledge for a regular copy until it's reprinted...which may not happen if people don't pledge? I understand wanting an autographed copy and being upset that they sold out so fast, but to then not pledge when you're intending to buy strikes me as a rather "cut off your nose to spite your face" reaction since there won't be any reprint if there aren't pledges.

sparkyinbozo
2012-01-22, 05:37 PM
That is a good point, Porthos. I might do the $10 as the drive winds down (waiting on the off chance more autographed copies come available somehow via the Giant).

Edit: Savannah, I can see how you feel that way about it, but for me personally, an autographed copy would be worth me paying the extra money here and now. I can always wait and pick one up at a local game shop my friend owns or order online later; she does a pretty good job of keeping them in stock (that's where I got most of my other ones).

And, if it doesn't get reprinted, they're still online, so it's not the end of the world for me. Like I said, though, I understand if you feel differently than I do about it...we all put different value on different things. :smallsmile:

Douglas
2012-01-22, 05:38 PM

Why? I rather doubt ordering after the reprint will get you a signed copy, so the only difference would be that it's that much less likely for the reprint to happen at all.

Druness
2012-01-22, 05:39 PM
Would the folks at Oookoodook be willing to post a short blurb and link to kickstarter on their front page? I check it sometimes to see if they have magically found a box of War and XP's and I'm sure others do too.

Douglas
2012-01-22, 05:42 PM
That is a good point, Porthos. I might do that as the drive winds down (on the off chance more autographed copies come available somehow via the Giant).
You can change your pledge, and your chosen reward, at any time. If additional signed copies get added to the rewards list, already having a $10 (or $45, or any other amount) pledge is no barrier at all to getting the newly available reward as if that was your choice from the beginning.

Eerie
2012-01-22, 05:47 PM
Pledged 55$.

WE ARE KILLING IT PEOPLE WE ARE MURDERING IT!!111 :smallbiggrin:

MurkyMajare
2012-01-22, 06:04 PM
Oh, this is such wonderful news.

Hope we can push this drive far enough so that No Cure will be reprinted as well.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-22, 06:16 PM
So torn...do I play it safe with a $45 pledge and get a plain-vanilla book? Or do I go up to $290 for an autographed book and original authentic Giant crayon art? Or do I contribute to one of the character-story pools?

GAH

I'LL DECIDE LATER

turkishproverb
2012-01-22, 06:17 PM
That becomes hillarious when read in gandalf-voice.

The Black Cat
2012-01-22, 06:21 PM
This is an Outstanding idea. OOTS is something I dearly want to support, and the minimum donation is basically the ultimate reward that I would want, to say nothing of more advanced goodies. I had no idea that my copy of War and XPs was such a rare artifact. I feel old now.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-22, 06:29 PM
The allure of a backstory for O'chul & a Roy magnet has gathered 18k in a few hours. I wonder how it feels to have such power over people's wallets.

Manga Maniac
2012-01-22, 06:29 PM
Hmm, an O-Chul exclusive story? And a copy of War and XPs? Plus a magnet of Roy Greenhilt...

I think a certain picture of Fry might be in order here.

MoonCat
2012-01-22, 06:35 PM
The allure of a backstory for O'chul & a Roy magnet has gathered 18k in a few hours. I wonder how it feels to have such power over people's wallets.

How many hours has it been up actually? I woke up around 9,000.

AlaskaOOTSFan
2012-01-22, 06:37 PM
$45 done and done.

Curious - how will the PDF be shipped? To the email associated with the Amazon account, or...?

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-22, 06:39 PM

I dunno exactly, but the first backer pledged at 12.27pm my time (GMT).

$45 done and done.

Curious - how will the PDF be shipped? To the email associated with the Amazon account, or...?

I believe you had to attach an email account to sign up for Kickstarter, so probably that one.

Mutant Sheep
2012-01-22, 06:40 PM
I am so tempted. The books and O-Chul are the alluring pretty, but augh I DONT HAVE A THOUSAND DOLLARS TO GET 12 MORE PAGES OF O-CHUL. :smallfrown: *cries*

When I was looking at it around 1, it was around 50,000$ short. :smalleek:

Reverent-One
2012-01-22, 06:42 PM
I am so tempted. The books and O-Chul are the alluring pretty, but augh I DONT HAVE A THOUSAND DOLLARS TO GET 12 MORE PAGES OF O-CHUL. :smallfrown: *cries*

Is that really so bad, when $10 will get you more than 12 pages of O-Chul?

Porthos
2012-01-22, 06:44 PM

9:30 am PST or so, I think. I saw it as it went up and there were 0 backers at the time.

ETA: As noted above, the first pledge was at 9:27 am my time (PST). So call it 9:15 am or so? Which means we have nearly $20,000 in six and half hours.

King of Nowhere
2012-01-22, 06:53 PM
I'm still laughing at the panel with belkar being kicked :smallbiggrin:

For messes known only to my bank, my card is actually blocked for online purchases, but I should be able to unlock it by the end of the week. Subscribing that project will be my first official act with my newly-working credit card.
I surely want to read the story of o-chul. And i'll surely pledge something more than the 10 dollars to not feel greedy.

Porthos
2012-01-22, 06:54 PM
If someone wants to grab the $600 pledge point (full color drawing of your D&D party + 6 fridge magnets) they'd better do it PDQ, as there's only one left folks. :smalltongue:

Mutant Sheep
2012-01-22, 06:55 PM
Is that really so bad, when $10 will get you more than 12 pages of O-Chul?

Only "more than 20 pages". At least 28 pages of O-Chul seems like a far superior deal. :smallbiggrin: (10 of those pages wont be exactly related to the other 20, but... its O-CHUL. :smalltongue:)

Flame of Anor
2012-01-22, 06:58 PM
That becomes hillarious when read in gandalf-voice.

...:smallconfused:

...:biggrin:

Arraxis
2012-01-22, 07:02 PM
Only 1 $600 left? And the rest of my party isn't awake yet so I can't ask them if they are interested in chipping in. Not sure which adventuring group we'd use anyway. Oh well, I donated in order to get the book, since it is the only one that I don't have :D.

Manga Maniac
2012-01-22, 07:08 PM
I've pledged $55 (the $45 deal + $10 since I live in England), but I've just realised that my card expires at the end of January.

Is that going to cause any problems? Not really sure how Kickstarter works.

Kancsar
2012-01-22, 07:11 PM
I'm in for $50. Here's hoping this is a success.

So, given we don't know who contributed the epic level pledge (thank you!!), any guesses as to which character will get the extra solo adventure?

Tarquin?
Thog?
Tsukiko?

any of those would be awesome

Anarion
2012-01-22, 07:22 PM
If someone wants to grab the $600 pledge point (full color drawing of your D&D party + 6 fridge magnets) they'd better do it PDQ, as there's only one left folks. :smalltongue:

Yeah I've been watching that, but a couple of my party members live in Australia and one is in Russia right now, so I still haven't heard from them. :smallfrown:

CrazyBlue
2012-01-22, 07:24 PM
Over 1/3 of the way there on the first day, it may be looking pretty good for getting Origins of PCs getting reprinted as well.

ti'esar
2012-01-22, 07:31 PM
Is there any risk of the $10 pledges running out? I don't want to miss 20 pages of O-Chul just because I've always used PayPal and will need to take some time to switch.

Arin
2012-01-22, 07:32 PM
Is there any way to pledge without going through Amazon?

I kinda hate them (very long story, short version is I worked for them very briefly and they are serious gestapo nazi *@#(@#TT@# on the inside), and I'd SO love to pledge but not with the idea of them getting even a cent of the money.

Reverent-One
2012-01-22, 07:33 PM
Is there any risk of the $10 pledges running out? I don't want to miss 20 pages of O-Chul just because I've always used PayPal and will need to take some time to switch.

No, the only ones that can run out are the ones that say "Limited Reward" beside the number of backers(or "Sold Out" for those that are already full).

Katana_Geldar
2012-01-22, 07:41 PM
I'd like to ask too if How the Paladin Got His Scar would be available in print form, mainly because I like owning the OOTS and they look very nice next to all my gaming books.

I pledged 14, would like to pledge more and would certainly love to have the cameo, but it wouldn't be my character who I'd get on there though. But one of my players who had a fire mage which would certainly be fun to see in a duel with V.

Ted The Bug
2012-01-22, 08:21 PM
I'd like to ask too if How the Paladin Got His Scar would be available in print form, mainly because I like owning the OOTS and they look very nice next to all my gaming books.

Very much seconded. My guess would be that because printing is expensive, especially for a small business, it would be pretty unlikely to ever see them in print, but it would nonetheless be pretty awesome.

Janus
2012-01-22, 08:50 PM
Not even a day into the fundraiser, and we're already close to the halfway point?
Sweet! :smallbiggrin:

Granted, I admit that I only pledged $14, since I already have War & XPs. That PDF of O-Chul won me over, hands down.

Speaking of which, I think it'd be cool if the Giant considered releasing future content as purchasable PDFs. Might be more financially viable than printed books (though I'll admit that books are really nice to have).

Flame of Anor
2012-01-22, 08:59 PM
Speaking of which, I think it'd be cool if the Giant considered releasing future content as purchasable PDFs. Might be more financially viable than printed books (though I'll admit that books are really nice to have).

"Here, you can either have these comics as computer files for free, or you can have them as slightly different computer files which you have to pay for."

Somehow I don't think so.

Kaed
2012-01-22, 09:02 PM
I'll admit I was tempted by the $60 deal, because I lost my copy of Don't Split the Party a bit back while moving (:smallfrown:). However that seems to have all been taken up, and well... aside from that completely unreachable $5000 one, nothing else really appeals to me, and I already have War and XPs. :< Though I admit putting my gnoll cleric of Mouqol into OotS would have been cool.

But nevertheless, I made at least the $10 pledge. Half of the amount seems to have already been raised, I don't expect it will take much longer to fill it.

*eyes the $5000 prize longingly* :smallwink:

Janus
2012-01-22, 09:06 PM
"Here, you can either have these comics as computer files for free, or you can have them as slightly different computer files which you have to pay for."

Somehow I don't think so.
:smallconfused:
I meant these special side stories, like the O-Chul one and anything that would be compiled in something like Snips, Snails, and Dragons Tails, not the main comic itself.

Porthos
2012-01-22, 09:25 PM

Annnnnd gone now. Not even 12 hours in. :smalltongue:

fuelstaind
2012-01-22, 09:29 PM
I pledged the $45. I can't wait to see the bonus stories.

Kancsar
2012-01-22, 10:08 PM
As further incentive to pledge something even if you already have WAXP, perhaps Giant could make a simpler version of the Grand Prize a raffle prize amongst the backers? Ie, one lucky backer gets a unique scribble avatar or something, irrespective of size of pledge. Or is that against rules of kickstart?

Sethala
2012-01-22, 10:23 PM
Well, I was originally planning on getting all the books in order, but I couldn't pass up this drive. So, I guess my first OotS book will be War and XPs.

(Still waiting to hear back from my FLGS about whether or not they can get in some of the other books... I'll be buying from them if I can.)

Raddish
2012-01-22, 10:51 PM
I am going to have to have a word with the one who controls the finances... Would be a really nice time to start a new collection of books me thinks.

I have a question, and I hope it isn't too stupid, if the amount is met before the deadline and before I can sort out my stuff will it still be open to more pledges on it or will it close early?

FireDrake
2012-01-22, 11:08 PM
Is there any chance we'll see a page of author's commentary in with How The Paladin Got His Scar? Those are always my favourite parts of the compilation/prequel books.

Also, I'm considering digging deep and going for the $250 pledge and I have a few questions:

- In the description it says "interacting comically as decided by the creator", would "the creator" be me, or Rich?
- If me, would I be able to have speech in the crayon drawing?
- Also, this seems to be the only pledge that doesn't specifically list the Roy magnet. Was this a mistake? Would I still get a Roy magnet?

Thanks.

Balain
2012-01-22, 11:12 PM
I have a question, and I hope it isn't too stupid, if the amount is met before the deadline and before I can sort out my stuff will it still be open to more pledges on it or will it close early?

I hope it doesn't close early, cause I won't be able to pledge anything for 5 more days or so. I would imagine it stays open for the 30 days. if if goes over, hopefully more books are re-printed.

crichelle
2012-01-22, 11:12 PM
My pledge is in. Go get em Rich!

The Giant
2012-01-22, 11:46 PM
Wow, I go food shopping and now there's like a billion questions to answer. OK, here goes:

If we get the crayon drawing, how large is the drawing, and does that include backgrounds etc., or just two crayon characters on a white background? I'd like to get something regardless, but I miiiight be able to talk myself into the crayon...

There will likely be props or whatever scenery is needed to make the scene, but don't expect the backgrounds to be fully colored. It doesn't look as clean and there's a much greater likelihood that I will accidentally drag my hand through it. :smallredface:

Would there be any possibility of having a physical copy of the O-Chul Story printed, or maybe added to the War and XPs book, as a revised edition? It's okay if not, but it would be very cool to have that.

At this point, there are no definite plans to put the O-Chul story into print. If the pledge goes through I may, at some future point, collect it and any bonus stories pledged into another anthology, likely with a bunch of new material as well (like I did with the Dragon comics), but such a book wouldn't see the light of day in 2012, if at all.

urious - how will the PDF be shipped? To the email associated with the Amazon account, or...?

They will either be emailed directly to the email account that you signed up for Kickstarter with, or we will email a link to a secure download page of some sort. Either way, it will go to the email associated with your account.

I've pledged $55 (the $45 deal + $10 since I live in England), but I've just realised that my card expires at the end of January.

Is that going to cause any problems? Not really sure how Kickstarter works.

Yes, that's going to cause problems. The charge won't go through until Feb 21. You can fix it by assigning a different card to your Amazon account and selecting that instead.

There is no risk of the $10 pledges running out; the PDFs are infinite, and we're not placing the order for the magnets until the drive has ended.

Is there any way to pledge without going through Amazon?

Sorry, Kickstarter controls the means of payment, and they only accept Amazon payments.

As further incentive to pledge something even if you already have WAXP, perhaps Giant could make a simpler version of the Grand Prize a raffle prize amongst the backers? Ie, one lucky backer gets a unique scribble avatar or something, irrespective of size of pledge. Or is that against rules of kickstart?

Kickstarter rule prohibit raffles, coupons, discounts, etc. I had wanted to originally offer coupons to the CafePress store as part of a package and discovered that I'm not allowed to.

The drive will stay open until February 21, regardless of how much is pledged. In fact, I'm really hoping that we absolutely crush the goal so we can get more than one book back in print.

Is there any chance we'll see a page of author's commentary in with How The Paladin Got His Scar? Those are always my favourite parts of the compilation/prequel books.

I hadn't considered it, but if I think of anything to say, I'll put it in.

Also, I'm considering digging deep and going for the $250 pledge and I have a few questions:

- In the description it says "interacting comically as decided by the creator", would "the creator" be me, or Rich?

Me. In other words, you pick the characters, and I come up with a joke scene for them. If you want to give me a vague direction (i.e. "Belkar killing hobgoblins"), that's fine, but the actual dialogue will be mine.

- If me, would I be able to have speech in the crayon drawing?

Yes, but I'll be writing it, as above.

- Also, this seems to be the only pledge that doesn't specifically list the Roy magnet. Was this a mistake? Would I still get a Roy magnet?

You will definitely get a Roy magnet. It's a typo, I just can't change the text of any reward that someone has already selected.

Sethala
2012-01-22, 11:48 PM

The pledge won't close early, you can still join in whenever you want and get stuff. If more than the minimum is made, Rich said the extra will go towards reprinting another book (I think he said On the Origin of PCs is up next).

Of course, some of the rewards are limited, so those can run out. But the $45 one for the book is unlimited (since he can just make more than what he planned on if he gets enough money).

Edit: Ack, ninja'd by Rich.

FireDrake
2012-01-22, 11:54 PM
Thanks Giant. Glad to hear there might be some commentary. Now to go make my pledge. :smallsmile:

Kusand
2012-01-23, 12:04 AM
There will likely be props or whatever scenery is needed to make the scene, but don't expect the backgrounds to be fully colored. It doesn't look as clean and there's a much greater likelihood that I will accidentally drag my hand through it. :smallredface:

Cool, sounds reasonable. 8x11, smaller, larger? I'm trying to imagine it framed in my house, basically. I've always wanted some original art from something I love.

The Giant
2012-01-23, 12:07 AM
Cool, sounds reasonable. 8x11, smaller, larger? I'm trying to imagine it framed in my house, basically. I've always wanted some original art from something I love.

At least 8x10. Maybe larger. I need to go to the art supply store and see what size the recycled bristol board comes in.

-------------

Also, I added some FAQs to the main project page. Most of them are things I answered in this thread too, but you might want to read them anyway.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-23, 01:17 AM
At least 8x10. Maybe larger.

Aaaagghhh...my will to resist the $290 pledge is slipping...

Douglas
2012-01-23, 01:19 AM
And there goes the $30,000 mark, more than half way, in the first 13 hours or so. I think "crush the goal and go far beyond" is a pretty safe bet. Come on, fans with money, let's get every last book on the list back in print!

Porthos
2012-01-23, 01:43 AM
Rich, given that this (so far) looks to be a smashing success, is there any chance that you might fund future book print runs with the Kickstarter model? I'm mostly thinking about the strips that will go into "Book 5" (and of course, future books), but also any other book projects that you might have down the road.

Or is this going to be a one time only deal/something that is done very rarely?

Sunken Valley
2012-01-23, 02:10 AM
Sorry, I'm going to have to say no.

I haven't done anything like this before and after the mess with the last book, I'm not buying anything unless it's in the store.

I am also suprised and startled by this new policy as I seem to remember Rich Burlew telling people if they want to donate to someone, do it to a worthwhile charity. I also seem to remember Rich keeping his Dragon magazine strips under lock and key for 5 years because it wouldn't be worth it for such a small book.

Question for the big man: what was wrong with O-chuls story that you couldn't put it in the book. You control the page size.

If you want my money though, you'll get it from book 5 and prequel book -2.

The Giant
2012-01-23, 02:11 AM
Rich, given that this (so far) looks to be a smashing success, is there any chance that you might fund future book print runs with the Kickstarter model? I'm mostly thinking about the strips that will go into "Book 5" (and of course, future books), but also any other book projects that you might have down the road.

Or is this going to be a one time only deal/something that is done very rarely?

I don't think I'd like to do it TOO often, if only because there can only so many special high-end rewards given out before they start to be cheapened. But yeah, I think this definitely is going into the toolbox of possibilities for future funding.

The Giant
2012-01-23, 02:25 AM
I am also suprised and startled by this new policy as I seem to remember Rich Burlew telling people if they want to donate to someone, do it to a worthwhile charity.

I'm not asking for charity, I'm asking for set prices for specific rewards. It's no different than selling things directly, except for that there's a small chance that the whole thing will be called off if we don't sell enough. If you would prefer to donate to a worthwhile charity, I couldn't be happier about it. I'll be fine. I'm doing this mostly for the fans who have begged me for two years to put War and XPs back in print. Donating to charity won't get them the book they want.

I also seem to remember Rich keeping his Dragon magazine strips under lock and key for 5 years because it wouldn't be worth it for such a small book.

Question for the big man: what was wrong with O-chuls story that you couldn't put it in the book. You control the page size.

But I don't control the cost. Putting the O-Chul story into that book on top of all the other things I had planned would have put the cost of the book higher, and it was a small enough print run that I would have had to price it over $27 to make a profit. I didn't think people would pay that much for a book of half the size of the $30 Paladin Blues, so I dropped it. It was also thematically different from the rest of the book, which was all non-canon material, thus making it the first to be dropped.

In short, I came up with more ideas than would fit in the length book I wanted to publish, so I picked the ones I wanted to use and shelved the rest.

If you want my money though, you'll get it from book 5 and prequel book -2.

If you don't want to participate, then don't. I'm not expecting everyone to sign up. But don't act like I'm twisting your arm or something. It's a voluntary process.

Sethala
2012-01-23, 02:44 AM
I don't think I'd like to do it TOO often, if only because there can only so many special high-end rewards given out before they start to be cheapened. But yeah, I think this definitely is going into the toolbox of possibilities for future funding.

Personally, while the high-end rewards are awesome (and sadly, way out of my price range), I'd be satisfied with a run like this that just offers the book (and maybe some other small goodies, like the O-chul PDF), as a way for the fans to preorder and not actually spend anything if there's not enough preorders. Sure, the run might not raise enough to reprint, but it at least lets the fans get a chance at getting the out of print books again, and you don't have to try and guess if you can make enough money to justify reprinting.

Manga Maniac
2012-01-23, 02:51 AM
The drive will stay open until February 21, regardless of how much is pledged. In fact, I'm really hoping that we absolutely crush the goal so we can get more than one book back in print.
Given that you're already at $31,901, your dream is probably coming true.

Flame of Anor
2012-01-23, 02:55 AM
It was also thematically different from the rest of the book, which was all non-canon material, thus making it the first to be dropped.

What?!? Surely at least the Julio Scoundrél story is canon!

Crod
2012-01-23, 03:01 AM
Yay! I'm so excited, I've had anxiety about missing the War and XPs book for a long time. Smashing idea Rich!

Too bad my wife would kill me if I went for the $250 version considering the current economical situation, but at least I'm chipping in some for the project.

Sunken Valley
2012-01-23, 03:06 AM
Another question for the big man: your profile claims you are from queens but Kickstarter says you are a philidelphian. I know you have lived in New York but is Kickstarter more accurate? You don't need to answer this one if it's too personal.

Gandariel
2012-01-23, 03:07 AM
Yay, i'm a Backer!
(sorry i couldn't do more than the basic 10$ thing)

Also, the pledge's been active for 24 hours and you already got 30 000 dollars? Awesome!

SaintRidley
2012-01-23, 03:08 AM
What?!? Surely at least the Julio Scoundrél story is canon!

It is in Julio's mind.

MurkyMajare
2012-01-23, 07:12 AM
Giant?

Could you post on the Drive page how much we need to pledge in order for Dungeon Crawling and No Cure to be printed as well?

Hate to see the drive stop once we reached the first goal of WAXP.

SnailMan
2012-01-23, 08:19 AM
Giant?

Could you post on the Drive page how much we need to pledge in order for Dungeon Crawling and No Cure to be printed as well?

Hate to see the drive stop once we reached the first goal of WAXP.

^ Seconded.

Like for another poster above, my credit card will expire at the end of january. The difference in my situation is that my card will be automatically renewed with the same number and just a new expiration date. Will it be ok for me to use the current one to make the pledge, and then change the expiration date on Amazon's site on the first days of february? Or maybe for me the best thing to do could be to just wait for february to change the card details and make the pledge... But... I... CAN'T... WAIT... THAT... LONG... MUST... DO... IT... NOW...

Avaris
2012-01-23, 08:33 AM
Well, after today's strip I really hope one of the commisionned stories is about Tsuiko... I'd do it myself were it not for the cost and having already gone for the $600 one...

Arrowstorm122
2012-01-23, 08:53 AM
While the chance is small, I'm curious what you will do if two people picks the same character for the 1250$ reward?

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-23, 08:55 AM
While the chance is small, I'm curious what you will do if two people picks the same character for the 1250$ reward?

He has said he'll do a double length strip, so 16-24 pages.

Arrowstorm122
2012-01-23, 08:57 AM
He has said he'll do a double length strip, so 16-24 pages.

I skimmed all his answers, must have missed it then, but I thought it would be something like that. :smallsmile:

Typewriter
2012-01-23, 09:38 AM
I pledged 290 (that's enough for the art+book right, I didn't need to add more for shipping/handling?). I've been checking the site twice as often ever since you teased this coming up, since I had a feeling you were talking about a kickstarter and I wanted to get something good before they all sold out.

I noticed that Kickstarter didn't ask for my address or anything, I assume you'll either get that through amazon or there will be a way to get it to you when the kickstarter ends?

EDIT: Just saw the e-mail that says I'll get sent a survey asking me for things like my address when necessary.

Draconi Redfir
2012-01-23, 09:48 AM
i'd love to pledge, but Amazon is being a dink saying i i have an account for one of my e-mails, but cant give me the password to it for some reason. i might make a new account under a different e-mail, but idk.

Ossian
2012-01-23, 10:56 AM
Must have been asked already 50 times, sorry about that. Isn t Control Undead a Wiz/Sor (7) spell? Redcloak is a cleric, although a powerful one.

Also, why is Control Undead NOT a cleric spell too? That seems like a design flaw...

EDIT: Sorry , wrong thread. Apologies for that.

Joerg
2012-01-23, 11:54 AM
Is there a chance of an additional reward 'custom forum avatar made by Rich'? I would most probably buy one.

Procyonpi
2012-01-23, 12:38 PM
Wow, less than 10K to go. looks like we're on pace to break the goal in well under 48 hours. Hopefully, we can get a reprint of Paladin Blues out of this, too.

Pyscho Druid
2012-01-23, 12:45 PM
Hopefully, we can get a reprint of Paladin Blues out of this, too.

This! I've been waiting for #2 for a while.

jmucchiello
2012-01-23, 01:26 PM
It is in Julio's mind.

Actually I'm hoping one (or more) of the three 1250 pledgers picks Julio for the bonus story. In fact, when OOTS ends, I hope Rich takes a little time off then starts making Julio Scoundrel comics.

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-23, 01:40 PM
After careful consideration, I have opted for a crayon sketch. I hope it helps! :smallsmile:

Eerie
2012-01-23, 01:49 PM
So, what are the chances all three rich guys\girls chose O'chul? This plus the story that's already promised would make a whole O'chul book...

WampaX
2012-01-23, 01:51 PM
I snagged the last $1,250 slot at 11:00am EST and the total was @ about $40K.
its now about $51K some 3 hours later, so I guess the question is not WILL it be funded anymore but WHEN it will cross the goal line.

I could not bring myself to invest the $5K just to get Heinrich Greensleeves, my Gnomish Banker / Alchemist, published. Which is ironic (in the coincidental fashion) since he made so much money through investment banking.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-23, 01:53 PM
So WampaX......who'dya pick?

Blisstake
2012-01-23, 01:53 PM
So even if this beats the goal by, say, 5 times the amount, all of the money is going directly into funding for printing, correct? In other words, even if you get more than enough money to reprint both books, you'll be holding on to it for future book printings rather than using the money for something like a server upgrade?

I'm not trying to make that look like a complaint, by the way. It would make sense, especially since you said something like only 10% of the people who regularly read the comment have even been on the forums.

Skavensrule
2012-01-23, 01:58 PM
I pledged $290 to get the sketch and a signed copy. Money will be real tight next month as a result but at least I know in advance. If I could have afforded it I would have loved to get one of the $1250 slots but that is way out of my range.

My choice would have been to find out what happened to Right-Eye's daughter.

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-23, 02:13 PM
Oh, for the love of...

My car was broken into, and the radio stolen. My dad reckons it will be roughly £150 to fix the lock and window and replace the radio, so I can't afford to donate $250 right now or in February.

Sorry everyone, but I will be the cause of the donation amount shrinking a little. :smallfrown:

MaximKat
2012-01-23, 02:23 PM
So the story that goes with a $1250 pledge - do only other people who pledged $1250+ get to see it, or everyone who pledged any amount?

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-23, 02:24 PM
Everyone who pledged anything. Pay $10 -> Get four stories, right now.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-23, 02:26 PM
Update on future rewards & goals. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/165100?ref=activity)

MaximKat
2012-01-23, 02:27 PM
Everyone who pledged anything. Pay $10 -> Get four stories, right now.

Woo! Free stories!

Kancsar
2012-01-23, 02:30 PM
Kickstarter rule prohibit raffles, coupons, discounts, etc. I had wanted to originally offer coupons to the CafePress store as part of a package and discovered that I'm not allowed to.

thanks for answering my question! i guess Kickstarter doesn't want to be classified as a casino.

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-23, 02:31 PM
Woo! Free stories!

Technically it's $2.50 a story. :smallsmile:

Mando Knight
2012-01-23, 02:35 PM

And thus by definition not free. But that's okay, it just means we're getting more stories for even the entry-level pledge than previously expected.

MaximKat
2012-01-23, 02:37 PM

In this case: wooo, free magnet! :smallbiggrin:

Skavensrule
2012-01-23, 02:44 PM
Man, am I glad I created an Amazon account and pledged when I got off work. (currently in Germany) If I hadn't checked this site until Tuesday I would probably been too late to get even the $250. Just in the time it took to get dinner and read all the comments the two remaining $1250 levels had been sold. As I write this there is less than $6000 to go, WOOHOO.

YohanLeafheart
2012-01-23, 02:45 PM
Now now kids, anyone want to deal with an angry fiancé in case I use our wedding money to get the 5k prize?

Ashtar
2012-01-23, 02:46 PM
Four stories! At least one with O-chul, the toughest paladin to ever walk the lands, this is going to be an epic drive!

Since I have all the books already, I'll just pitch in for the magnets... and dream about more 1'250$ story gigs becoming available.

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-23, 02:49 PM
Now now kids, anyone want to deal with an angry fiancé in case I use our wedding money to get the 5k prize?

Do you really want to marry someone who doesn't understand the need to spend your wedding money on a cameo in a webcomic for a fictional character you created? :smallamused:

King of Nowhere
2012-01-23, 03:01 PM
There, taken some magnets. And it appears my credit card is working again.

The deadline will be reached later today or tomorrow at the latest. even considering the pledges will slow down with time, I would bet good money that rich will get at least three times the amount he set at the beginning.

of those money, 57750 $ will go to printing, and everything else will be devouted to buying his new private yacht. :smallbiggrin:
no, I guess more pledges would mena more books to print, which would mean more expences, and what is left should be enough to keep the giant well fed until the next book comes out

Flame of Anor
2012-01-23, 03:02 PM
So WampaX......who'dya pick?

Tell us, go on!

Oh, for the love of...

My car was broken into, and the radio stolen. My dad reckons it will be roughly £150 to fix the lock and window and replace the radio, so I can't afford to donate $250 right now or in February.

Sorry everyone, but I will be the cause of the donation amount shrinking a little. :smallfrown:

Oh no! :frown:

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-23, 03:07 PM

of those money, 57750 $ will go to printing, and everything else will be devouted to buying his new private yacht. :smallbiggrin:
no, I guess more pledges would mena more books to print, which would mean more expences, and what is left should be enough to keep the giant well fed until the next book comes out

The update I linked above shows where the next chunk of money above the primary goal is going.

WampaX
2012-01-23, 03:13 PM
Tell us, go on!

I have one in mind,
but need to review to make sure I am identifying them correctly.

Also,
I'm going to be flipping back through the books to have a couple of other suggestions in mind. I would wager that Rich will need a list of characters in case of overlap between the requests . . . unless he just takes the combined requests and forms a longer narrative if multiple people choose the same character/public domain story.

JediSoth
2012-01-23, 03:14 PM
I already pledge, so I know I can upgrade my pledge, but my question is this: I don't need two Roy magnets...so if I pledge at the $14 is it possible to get a Roy & a Vaarsuvius? I missed out last year at Gen Con because they were being given away with something I already had.

Andious
2012-01-23, 03:18 PM
I'm definitely going to pledge regardless, but I'm curious if any of these new rewards I see mentioned might be a vectorized comic instead of a hand-drawn crayon one (am I right in assuming the vector style is easier for him to do than the hand-drawn crayon style?).

I don't have a lot of money, but I'd definitely pledge $100+ if it meant getting a short comic about a background character I imagine nobody would expect anyone to pick (adhering to the "Mr. Burlew decides what happens" rule, of course).

So, I guess if I were to put this in the form of a question: if there are going to be any new pledge rewards, would a short vectorized comic be one of them?

Flame of Anor
2012-01-23, 03:18 PM
I would wager that Rich will need a list of characters in case of overlap between the requests . . . unless he just takes the combined requests and forms a longer narrative if multiple people choose the same character/public domain story.

He did say that if two selected the same he'd do a double-length.

Gullara
2012-01-23, 03:19 PM
Is there a chance of an additional reward 'custom forum avatar made by Rich'? I would most probably buy one.

I would most definitely up my pledge to get this in a heartbeat. :smallbiggrin:
I'll be happy with my book if not, though. :smalltongue:

Seraphem
2012-01-23, 03:23 PM
28 days left.....Really hope my tax return gets here before time runs out, cause I know the first thing I'm doing.

CigarPete
2012-01-23, 03:40 PM
Damn, wish I had seen this yesterday. Would love to be able to get the full set of magnets. Anyway, pledged my $45 for a book and a Roy magnet.

The Giant
2012-01-23, 03:45 PM
Answer time, kids!

Giant?

The latest update post (found here (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts)) shows the amount we need for the next three goals: a full-size print run of WAXP, the addition of OTOPCs to the reward options, and the reprint of OTOPCs. Note that because OTOPCs is much cheaper to print than WAXP, that number already represents the "full size" print run for that book...which means it might sneak into print at a lower print quantity if we fall just short.

After that, we start saving for No Cure for the Paladin Blues. I don't have an exact number on that yet—I'm waiting for an estimate from the printer—but it's likely to be only a little less than WAXP. I'd guess between $40k and $50k, added to the $96,950 needed to complete OTOPCs. Maybe a little less, if I can talk them into a multiple-job discount. As you can see, that's a lot of money. Enough that I was worried about scaring people off from pledging if they knew exactly how high it was.

The good news is that Dungeon Crawlin' Fools doesn't NEED a reprint! It's in stock right now (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/DungeonCrawlinFools.shtml) at Ookoodook.

^ Seconded.

Like for another poster above, my credit card will expire at the end of january. The difference in my situation is that my card will be automatically renewed with the same number and just a new expiration date. Will it be ok for me to use the current one to make the pledge, and then change the expiration date on Amazon's site on the first days of february? Or maybe for me the best thing to do could be to just wait for february to change the card details and make the pledge... But... I... CAN'T... WAIT... THAT... LONG... MUST... DO... IT... NOW...

I think you'll be able to change the card that you put the pledge on, but I'm not 100% certain. You'd have to experiment and see if it let you. At worst, you could pledge, then cancel your pledge and re-pledge the same amount when the card changes, as long as you weren't trying to reserve one of the limited rewards.

I'd either do a double-length story, or I would contact one of them and ask if they had a second choice, depending on if I had enough ideas for a longer tale.

I noticed that Kickstarter didn't ask for my address or anything, I assume you'll either get that through amazon or there will be a way to get it to you when the kickstarter ends?

I see you already saw the answer, but ,for anyone who is only skimming for my posts: Yes, when the pledge is done, you will get an email survey a few days later asking for your shipping information, as well as any details needed to fulfill your reward (i.e. what characters you want drawn).

So even if this beats the goal by, say, 5 times the amount, all of the money is going directly into funding for printing, correct? In other words, even if you get more than enough money to reprint both books, you'll be holding on to it for future book printings rather than using the money for something like a server upgrade?

As mentioned above, just getting to reprinting Paladin Blues is going to take around $150,000...and there's still Don't Split the Party to reprint after that! If all sense and reason is abandoned and we somehow raise the I-don't-know-like-$200,000 to reprint even that book, then the remainder will probably be saved for the next new OOTS book, or maybe to stock up on Start of Darkness (which is still available (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/StartOfDarkness.shtml), but is a strong seller).

The main reason I wouldn't want to put it toward a server upgrade is that the server is a recurring bill, and that would be a one-time windfall. A year from now, that money will be gone and the server bill would still be higher. I would rather have a steady recurring source of funds for the server, like the ads, before pulling the trigger. That being said, partial improvements are already in the pike, there are just technical hurdles that need to be surmounted first.

So the story that goes with a $1250 pledge - do only other people who pledged $1250+ get to see it, or everyone who pledged any amount?

Everyone gets it. It's essentially an act of philanthropy on the part of the pledger. They're pledging a lot in order to make it more likely that everyone else will pledge more.

Pantler
2012-01-23, 03:52 PM
:elan: I'm participating!
In other news, shipping books to Poland was always too expensive for me to afford, so I'm very happy that such a way became available to express my gratitude to the Giant for creating such an awesome story.
I sure hope these magnets get here to Gdynia soon!

The Giant
2012-01-23, 03:54 PM
I have one in mind,
but need to review to make sure I am identifying them correctly.

Also,
I'm going to be flipping back through the books to have a couple of other suggestions in mind. I would wager that Rich will need a list of characters in case of overlap between the requests . . . unless he just takes the combined requests and forms a longer narrative if multiple people choose the same character/public domain story.

Yeah, I'd ask that the three people at the $1250 level consult with me via message rather than announce to the public what they're choosing. There may be overlap, or there may have two equal choices and let me pick which one, or whatever. When I know what I'm definitely doing, I'll let everyone know in an update.

(And thanks for helping out, Wampa! :smallsmile:)

I already pledge, so I know I can upgrade my pledge, but my question is this: I don't need two Roy magnets...so if I pledge at the $14 is it possible to get a Roy & a Vaarsuvius? I missed out last year at Gen Con because they were being given away with something I already had.

No, I'm sorry. The Vaarsuvius magnets are in very short supply, and if we add any more to the rewards, it will be as a "premium" reward. The Roy magnets will be printed-to-order, so there's no possible shortage. However, there IS a pretty good chance that we will be able to add more Vaarsuvius magnets at some point, once someone sits down and counts how many we have left! (Belkar magnets, on the other hand, are just done.)

I'm definitely going to pledge regardless, but I'm curious if any of these new rewards I see mentioned might be a vectorized comic instead of a hand-drawn crayon one (am I right in assuming the vector style is easier for him to do than the hand-drawn crayon style?).

I don't have a lot of money, but I'd definitely pledge $100+ if it meant getting a short comic about a background character I imagine nobody would expect anyone to pick (adhering to the "Mr. Burlew decides what happens" rule, of course).

So, I guess if I were to put this in the form of a question: if there are going to be any new pledge rewards, would a short vectorized comic be one of them?

I had not considered that, but I'll think about it. That might help me come up with some more reward levels. Thanks!

Draconi Redfir
2012-01-23, 03:56 PM
allright, got my amazon account figured out, and am going to send fifty bucks Rich-ways. I was planning on using that money to buy no cure for the palidan blues as well, but hey this is still half of that right?:smalltongue: Besides, aparently that one is out of print too, so that wouldn't do much.

edit: Aaaand done!

Lappy9001
2012-01-23, 04:03 PM
I've always wanted to own a full collection of OOTS, so yay :smallsmile:

This sounds like a great way to get everyone's favorite web comic back into the hands of readers!

WampaX
2012-01-23, 04:26 PM
(And thanks for helping out, Wampa! :smallsmile:)

No Problem.
You know I've got your back whenever I can help out.

And kudos to the other 1427.432788235926 backers (rough calculation of the final backer count based on average per backer).

merrygoblin
2012-01-23, 04:40 PM
While I can't pledge at least until the end of the month, I hope to be able to pledge something (if only $10 for the magnet and O'Chul PDF) before the end of the drive.

If I can, I want to give $55 for a copy of War and XPs, which is the only one of the current books that I don't have - but I'll have to see if the money allows it before the end of the pledge drive or if I have to wait and order one later through Ookoodook... :smallfrown:

Still, as I type this I see we're only about $1000 off hitting the first target to get WaXPs back in print! :smallbiggrin:

Eerie
2012-01-23, 04:57 PM
Seeing how 3 1250 pledges were sold, but 5000 is still not, I suppose the price for the cameo walk-in should have been 2500...

RMS Oceanic
2012-01-23, 04:59 PM
Seeing how 3 1250 pledges were sold, but 5000 is still not, I suppose the price for the cameo walk-in should have been 2500...

Hey, there's 28 days to go...:smallsmile:

Wonton
2012-01-23, 05:00 PM
Only $500 left! This is so exciting!

I pledged $10. :smallsmile:

Firemeier
2012-01-23, 05:06 PM
$200 to go. This is more exciting than the new year's countdown :smallwink:

Balain
2012-01-23, 05:09 PM
I had a thought for a possible reward for something like $20 donation. You get a custom rank in the forums. and then say a limited amount of $50 you get to pick your rank title (pending approval of course).

I'd love to spend more, but being out of work right now can't. I'm doing the $10 for sure, but I could manage $20 and a new rank on the forum would be cool, or maybe $50 for my own made up rank.

Just saw the goal was reached! Cool

MurkyMajare
2012-01-23, 05:09 PM
Grats on breaking the first goal

Ted The Bug
2012-01-23, 05:10 PM
Ok, we are less than $100 away. Reloading the page incessantly.

Edit: and the second I posted, we passed it! Great job everyone!!

fishboy
Aaaannnddd there we have it ladies and gentlemen :smallbiggrin:

Eerie
We did it!

PS. Ninja'd by a fish. http://www.migunowners.org/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

Procyonpi
...AND WE'RE FUNDED!

War and XP is coming back to print, woot!

Porthos
And at 2:10 pm PST we have Unlocked Achievement (Minimum Press Run [War and XPs]). :smallcool:

Blas_de_Lezo
$57,960

It's done! First goal it's done in 2 days! :smallsmile:

ZombieMaster
2012-01-23, 05:11 PM
Goal reached! Awesome.

28 days to go. Reckon we can reach the $200,000 uber goal? :-)

WampaX
2012-01-23, 05:12 PM
Just to give some fun numbers.

About 30 hours to raise $57,750.

That's $1925 an hour
about $32.083 a minute
about $0.53 a second

If this were a job (40 hour work week), it would pay (before taxes and deferrals)
$77,000 a week
$4,004,000 a year

Porthos
2012-01-23, 05:14 PM
Next Stop: $76,450 for a Full Size Print Run of W&XP.

C'mon folks, we can do it! :smallcool:

The Giant
2012-01-23, 05:15 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that we crossed the funding threshold a minute or two ago (5:10 pm Eastern US time).

So this thing is happening.

EDIT: Geez, ninja'd by everyone ever. Guess that's what I get for getting distracted by answering emails.

k_bukie
2012-01-23, 05:16 PM
So, Giant, it looks like you met your one day goal of $57,750 for the book reprinting.

Wait, month?

CoffeeIncluded
2012-01-23, 05:17 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that we crossed the funding threshold a minute or two ago (5:15 pm Eastern US time).

So this thing is happening.

YIPPIE! Magnets and O-Chul for everyone!

Are you still keeping the funding open for the next month?

Procyonpi
2012-01-23, 05:20 PM

I'd assume so, giving that he saves costs with a larger print run, as well as by printing OtOotPCs at the same time.

Besides which, I want mah No Cure for Paladin Blues!

Blas_de_Lezo
2012-01-23, 05:21 PM
So we go for the second goal?

One question Giant, are the shipping taxes to Europe also $10 for just the Roy magnet?

Kobold-Bard
2012-01-23, 05:21 PM

It stay open by default until the closing date. We're now aiming for a full into-stores rerun of War & XPs.

And don't forget about the three bonus stories everyone's getting too.

k_bukie
2012-01-23, 05:26 PM

He updated the drive with subsequent goals here (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/165100).

The next goal is $76,450 for a full reprint of War and XPs.

Eerie
2012-01-23, 05:28 PM
YIPPIE! Magnets and O-Chul and three stories for everyone!

Fixed that for you.

The Giant
2012-01-23, 05:31 PM
One question Giant, are the shipping taxes to Europe also $10 for just the Roy magnet?

No, if you're getting just the magnet, you don't need to add anything for international shipping. They're being sent First Class mail, which means in an envelope with a stamp, so the cost difference between US and overseas is under a dollar. We're just eating that difference to make it easier for everyone.

(Caveat: First Class mail is not fast. People who order a book and a magnet will almost certainly get it before the people who order just a magnet, even if the magnet packages hit the mail first.)

Yes! As linked to before, we have many goals left to reach, and the pledge drive stays open until February 21 no matter what.

andrechan
2012-01-23, 05:49 PM
Can we know in advance what the 3 bonus comics are? :smallsmile: (when the three generous people have decided it)
If the characters chosen are interesting, I think more people will participate in the pledge.

IrnBruAddict
2012-01-23, 05:52 PM

That's $1925 an hour
about $32.083 a minute
about $0.53 a second

If this were a job (40 hour work week), it would pay (before taxes and deferrals)
$77,000 a week
$4,004,000 a year

And He deserves every penny of it!

The Giant ain't worth 4 million, he's priceless:smallwink:

Renegade Paladin
2012-01-23, 05:55 PM
Threw in my $10. Would have been more, but I already have all the books, and car accidents are what they are (i.e. expensive), so I decided to go with O-chul's backstory. Congratulations on the drive's success. :smallsmile:

Flame of Anor
2012-01-23, 06:08 PM
(Caveat: First Class mail is not fast. People who order a book and a magnet will almost certainly get it before the people who order just a magnet, even if the magnet packages hit the mail first.)

Funny how that is...I guess no one would use it if it were called Low Class Mail.

nogall
2012-01-23, 06:09 PM
Giant,

I just changed my pledge to the 250 or more (to 290, so I get a signed WAXP copy). Two little issues:

1) do I have to pay more to get the book sent to Brazil?

2) can I get it signed for a friend? I would like to give the signed book as a gift to the person who introduced my to your great comic.

thanks and congrats on beating the goal!
Parabéns, as we would say in Brazil =)

NerfTW
2012-01-23, 06:17 PM

That's $1925 an hour
about $32.083 a minute
about $0.53 a second

$77,000 a week
$4,004,000 a year

Unfortunately, keep in mind that this is the first time he's ever done a donation drive. Most people wouldn't be able to keep making the same donations monthly or weekly.

MammonAzrael
2012-01-23, 06:22 PM
Unfortunately, keep in mind that this is the first time he's ever done a donation drive. Most people wouldn't be able to keep making the same donations monthly or weekly.

Is it really a donation drive though? It's a publishing run essentially funded by the fans who want it republished. Regardless of the semantics though...

This is awesome, thank you Giant! I'll be pledging $45 in a week or two when the funds open up. Possibly more if other books become available!

Douglas
2012-01-23, 06:37 PM
It's not exactly a donation drive - each backer is getting something specific and tangible in exchange for the pledge. But yes, there is a "first time" element to it. I think the bigger factor to make such extrapolation misleading is the "initial surge" element. A large number of people discover the project on day 1 and pledge immediately, and that produces an enormous lump sum that the accumulation of lower frequency visitors and word of mouth that follows it is unlikely to match.

Of course, if we get to the "OOPCs added to rewards" threshold I expect we'll get another giant leap as people upgrade their pledges to get that too. Heck, additional rewards of any kind would likely trigger a surge. I watched as Howard Tayler of Schlock Mercenary fame ran a Kickstarter drive to create a board game based on his comic, and I think pledges had started to taper off when he started announcing overfund rewards - "if we reach X total, I'll add Y bonus to everyone's game". Suddenly the overfund goals were being passed so fast it seemed like he was having difficulty coming up with new bonuses for more overfund goals fast enough to keep up, even though the bonuses weren't specific to any individual pledger or pledge amount.

CloakedDancer
2012-01-23, 06:43 PM
Question: is there a way to update the goal to reflect the next level that we are reaching for? I'm concerned that people will donate less or possibly not donate at all if it says that the goal has been reached.

MoonCat
2012-01-23, 06:57 PM
Guys! We passed the first goal!

:smalltongue:

Heh. I can't believe I missed it because of school. Bah. This is so awesome. I kinda wish I had 5,000 dollars right now though...

The Giant
2012-01-23, 06:58 PM
I just changed my pledge to the 250 or more (to 290, so I get a signed WAXP copy). Two little issues:

1) do I have to pay more to get the book sent to Brazil?

2) can I get it signed for a friend? I would like to give the signed book as a gift to the person who introduced my to your great comic.

1.) No, we're absorbing the cost of international shipping on anyone ordering a crayon drawing.

2.) Yes; when the drive is over, we'll send out the survey for everyone's shipping information. For signed copies, it will include a space to request a name dedication.

Question: is there a way to update the goal to reflect the next level that we are reaching for? I'm concerned that people will donate less or possibly not donate at all if it says that the goal has been reached.

No, the goal is fixed by the software, unfortunately. It's a concern for me as well, one that I'm hoping to manage through the updates (especially the graphs). If I had known we would reach this goal so quickly, I would have set the initial goal at the "full WAXP print run" level. I just thought that would seem enormous as a first goal.

Choco
2012-01-23, 07:05 PM
Heh, funny thing that I considered the $5000 donation for a split second there. Then reality quickly put me in my place and reminded me that the severance/vacation money I just got after being laid off would be better spent on food and shelter (and, more importantly, internet and electricity)....

I'll have to throw a $10 down here in a few.

Anarion
2012-01-23, 07:15 PM
This is spectacular. I think it's still getting about a backer a minute and it's already $5k over the initial goal.

I ended up going for the $250 amount, but I can't decide which two characters I'd like to see. Haley for sure, but who to have her interact with?

Flame of Anor
2012-01-23, 07:17 PM
No, the goal is fixed by the software, unfortunately. It's a concern for me as well, one that I'm hoping to manage through the updates (especially the graphs). If I had known we would reach this goal so quickly, I would have set the initial goal at the "full WAXP print run" level. I just thought that would seem enormous as a first goal.

Well, one of the most recent Kickstarters I contributed to was the http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ board game project (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253203485/schlock-mercenary-the-board-game). In part due to having Overfunding Maxims (rewards for targets above the stated goal), they just kept going and going. The final tally was something like $82,000 out of $25,000. You've already got more contributors than there ever were for that project (though not as much money yet, as everyone there was contributing at the $55 level to get the game itself), and the promised reprints are as good Overfunding Maxims as we could wish for. So I predict a good, healthy growth on that funding marker!

Choco
2012-01-23, 07:31 PM
Since this kickstarter seems to have succeeded spectacularly, how about this for the next one:

Make a kickstarter to get a better forum server! :smallwink:

jmucchiello
2012-01-23, 07:32 PM
It is in Julio's mind.

Actually I'm hoping one (or more) of the three 1250 pledgers picks Julio for the bonus story. In fact, when OOTS ends, I hope Rich takes a little time off then starts making Julio Scoundrel comics.

Zigg'rrauglurr
2012-01-23, 07:35 PM
So 55$ later, a War & XPs book will be getting a home in Buenos Aires, Argentina. :smallsmile:
My fiancee approved the expense, altough, as someone else in this forum, I was not allowed to take 5k from the wedding fund (which she is actually paying, selling wedding dresses :smalltongue:)

Very happy, yay!:smallbiggrin:

Savannah
2012-01-23, 07:36 PM
Since this kickstarter seems to have succeeded spectacularly, how about this for the next one:

Make a kickstarter to get a better forum server! :smallwink:

Not a good idea -- the forum server isn't a one-time expense like reprinting a book. To be upgraded, there needs to be a steady source of income sufficient to cover the increased expense, or else we'll be forced back to a cheaper one at some point.

nogall
2012-01-23, 07:37 PM
thanks Giant! Another question on the 250 reward: if two pledgers choose the same 2 characters, will they get the same drawing, or at least the same dialogue/joke?

Choco
2012-01-23, 07:41 PM
Not a good idea -- the forum server isn't a one-time expense like reprinting a book. To be upgraded, there needs to be a steady source of income sufficient to cover the increased expense, or else we'll be forced back to a cheaper one at some point.

I dunno, $65k+ will get you a half-decent server for quite a while. Plus having a better server for a while is still better than having an underpowered one all that time. And once everyone gets used to the new, better server, they may be more willing to contribute to the continuation kickstarters further down the road :smallbiggrin:

Whiffet
2012-01-23, 07:42 PM
I let a few gamers I saw today know about the drive. Hopefully they'll pledge a bit.

Everyone spread the word! But not online if you can help it, that might look a little spammy if you go around different sites telling people to pledge money to this.

Porthos
2012-01-23, 07:46 PM
As Flame of Anor said, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Kickstarter limit being passed so quickly. I've seen Kickstarter projects go nine times over the initial goal.

Secondly, $10 gets people something that they have no guarantee of ever getting again: How the Paladin Got His Scar (and the three other short stories thanks to the successful large pledges).

Sure, they might become availaible one day. Reading between the lines, I might even say it's probable. But it's not a guarantee. And if someone wants them as soon as they are available and not have to wait for sometime in the distant future to get them what do should they do?

Pledge NOW! :smallsmile:

Add in the additional pledge targets that Rich has talked about and I think there's not too much to worry about, to be honest.

FireDrake
2012-01-23, 07:50 PM
Is there any chance that scans of the $250 drawings will be added to the PDF aswell, or will we only get to see the ones that we order ourselves/get uploaded by other people who get them?

The Giant
2012-01-23, 07:50 PM
thanks Giant! Another question on the 250 reward: if two pledgers choose the same 2 characters, will they get the same drawing, or at least the same dialogue/joke?

Not necessarily. But since the crayon drawings are only for the people who pay for them, it doesn't really matter if they're similar to each other. That said, I rarely bother drawing the exact same thing twice.

Is there any chance that scans of the $250 drawings will be added to the PDF aswell, or will we only get to see the ones that we order ourselves/get uploaded by other people who get them?

Whether or not they are shared will be up to the people who pay for them. They won't be included in the PDF.

SaintRidley
2012-01-23, 08:26 PM
This has been a great success, and it appears to be trucking right along.

So much awesome!

CheesePirate
2012-01-23, 08:44 PM
I'll be living on tapwater and noodles for a while... :smallwink: but I pledged enough to grab one of the OOTS crayon drawing rewards, and I'll make sure to scan and post the drawing for everyone else to enjoy before it is framed and hung on my wall. Hope the other 49 lucky people (and the 5 RPG party drawing pledgers too) can do the same! :smallsmile:

Dark Elf Bard
2012-01-23, 08:48 PM
Guys! We passed the first goal!

:smalltongue:

Heh. I can't believe I missed it because of school. Bah. This is so awesome. I kinda wish I had 5,000 dollars right now though...

Can I borrow it?:tongue:

GOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!

NerfTW
2012-01-23, 08:54 PM
Is it really a donation drive though? It's a publishing run essentially funded by the fans who want it republished. Regardless of the semantics though...

This is awesome, thank you Giant! I'll be pledging $45 in a week or two when the funds open up. Possibly more if other books become available!

Semantics aside, the fact of the matter is that if you look at it purely from a "we're buying a product" standpoint, you're paying $10-15 for a small magnet and $45 for a $25(?) book. It's not sustainable, especially since eventually everyone will have the books. I for one already own them all, and donated to help out, but it's not something I could do weekly or monthly.

My point was the numbers Wampa X posted are unsustainable, since they include a lot of people who are getting the first chance to help out. It's a pipe dream to expect those kinds of numbers to continue indefinitely. Not to mention the majority of readers may have already donated.

DreadPirateDB
2012-01-23, 09:09 PM
Rich,

Why not schedule a day to go to Ookadook in Houston to sign books? You could sign a few hundred that way and have them still handle the shipping chores.

Thanks for all the hard work on this!

Douglas
2012-01-23, 09:10 PM
Semantics aside, the fact of the matter is that if you look at it purely from a "we're buying a product" standpoint, you're paying $10-15 for a small magnet and $45 for a $25(?) book. It's not sustainable, especially since eventually everyone will have the books. I for one already own them all, and donated to help out, but it's not something I could do weekly or monthly.

My point was the numbers Wampa X posted are unsustainable, since they include a lot of people who are getting the first chance to help out. It's a pipe dream to expect those kinds of numbers to continue indefinitely. Not to mention the majority of readers may have already donated.
The Ookoodook page for War and XPs says it's $32.95. Say the magnet and PDF stories (that's four new original stories by Rich since the $1250 reward stories get sent to all backers) are worth $10 (a more than reasonable price in my opinion) and add a little for shipping and handling, and the $45 pledge reward is dead on for standard retail price.

Aisur
2012-01-23, 09:59 PM
Rich,

Why not schedule a day to go to Ookadook in Houston to sign books? You could sign a few hundred that way and have them still handle the shipping chores.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I understand the allure of having the book personalized with a name along with the signature, but I bet a lot of people would be happy with just a signature, and those would be easier to deal with (not having to make sure the right name gets to the person it was meant for). So, maybe a new level for signed books that aren't personalized, leaving those for the people that managed to pledge early.

blackjack217
2012-01-23, 10:22 PM
Wow... that was fast. Any particular reason you went for Kickstarter instead of RocketHub? (I can't see the difference from here.)

Porthos
2012-01-23, 10:27 PM
Just made my pledge, and good thing too as there is only ONE crayon drawing left.

So if folks want one, better get there PDQ. :smallwink:

The Giant
2012-01-23, 10:30 PM
Why not schedule a day to go to Ookadook in Houston to sign books? You could sign a few hundred that way and have them still handle the shipping chores.!

Travel is not a viable option for me at this time. And let's leave it at that.

Wow... that was fast. Any particular reason you went for Kickstarter instead of RocketHub? (I can't see the difference from here.)

Yes; the reason is, I've never heard of RocketHub until this moment.

blackjack217
2012-01-23, 10:49 PM
Ah, well that's a good a reason as any. It also probably does not say anything particularly good about RocketHub either. As far as I can see RocketHub is KickStarts main competitor. I have no idea which would be a better fit for your needs in any case
http://rockethub.com/

turkishproverb
2012-01-23, 11:08 PM
IndieGoGo is another major competitor of Kickstarter from what I've seen, mind you kickstarter is the biggest.

YohanLeafheart
2012-01-23, 11:28 PM
As Flame of Anor said, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Kickstarter limit being passed so quickly. I've seen Kickstarter projects go nine times over the initial goal.

As an example http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325766284/d-day-dice-board-game?ref=search 10x the initial value.

Procyonpi
2012-01-23, 11:45 PM
wow... ~36 hours in, and we're already rapidly approacking the full print run for WaXP.

ella ventic
2012-01-23, 11:46 PM
I have to say, I pledged a while ago but I just can't... stop... refreshing! I don't know why, since I technically don't have a stake in it any more (all the bonuses that I could have gotten from this are already assured) but watching the numbers go up has become my new favorite form of entertainment.

I don't think I want to know what that says about me.

Oh, no, wait, it's this, isn't it: *cough*nerd*cough*

Well, darn skippy, in that case. Anyway, only wanted to show not just my appreciation for the comic but also my amazed awe at people's generosity, which is currently keeping me riveted to my computer screen. Hooray!

Procyonpi
2012-01-23, 11:52 PM
One of the reasons I keep refreshing is I hope we really blow away the goals by enough to get NCfPB reprinted in this run.

MoonCat
2012-01-23, 11:53 PM
I have to say, I pledged a while ago but I just can't... stop... refreshing! I don't know why, since I technically don't have a stake in it any more (all the bonuses that I could have gotten from this are already assured) but watching the numbers go up has become my new favorite form of entertainment.

I don't think I want to know what that says about me.

Oh, no, wait, it's this, isn't it: *cough*nerd*cough*

Well, darn skippy, in that case. Anyway, just wanted to show not just my appreciation for the comic but also my amazed awe at people's generosity, which is currently keeping me riveted to my computer screen. Hooray!

Me too. I've been completely distracted from urgent homework all of yesterday and today watching the numbers. I literally didn't do anything productive until 8PM yesterday (The kickstarter had begun just before I woke up)

Also, on another kickstarter I once watched the updates were done on the main page, so everyone could see them better. Is that no longer possible? It seems like a good way to get the graph seen more.

Whiffet
2012-01-24, 12:12 AM
I've been refreshing kickstarter too, ever since I finished my classes today. Write a lab report? Pfft, I can't do that, I need to refresh kickstarter again! Maybe it's gone up more in the last few seconds!

MoonCat
2012-01-24, 12:16 AM
I've been refreshing kickstarter too, ever since I finished my classes today. Write a lab report? Pfft, I can't do that, I need to refresh kickstarter again! Maybe it's gone up more in the last few seconds!

Yeah...

<click>

<click>

<click>

Damn, I'm doing it again!

I wonder what it'll be at by tomorrow. Probably another one of the milestones, or close.